Old 05-13-2013, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowFacts View Post
It would appear that we've moved from Big to Groundhog's Day.
I wonder why nobody can find the original ending to that one. When I first saw it at the theater on the last day he wakes up, goes to the golf course, and tries to blow up the groundhog. I remember it clearly, but every time I see it on cable there's some other ending.
Old 05-14-2013, 12:13 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smilelio View Post
The girl coming in to his class is DEFINITELY the alternate ending to Big. I grew up in Indonesia (near Australia/New Zealand so I guess that makes sense) and watched that movie ALL the time. Then, when we left all our Beta-Max there and got a VHS version of the movie in the US... I freaked out when I saw the "walking down the street" ending. There is no confusing two different movies going on here. There are two endings out there, and the US version is clearly the only one of anyone has any real evidence of. I don't know why they won't release the alternate ending on the DVD. It's a real shame - it was a very sweet ending.
The reason I believe that there is no alternate ending that people watched in Indonesia or Australia or the UK or the Canary Islands, is that it doesn't make any sense. Why would they have an alternate ending, and make special prints of the movie, and only show the alternate version outside the US?

Thing is, they have the internet in Australia nowadays. New Zealand too. People have VCRs, they can fire up the VCR, point their phone at the screen, and post the video on Youtube. This is a thing nowadays. And so until you can show the video on a video site, I think the more likely explanation is that you watched another crappy movie with a similar plot, but it was so boring and stupid and crappy unmemorable compared to Big that you completely forgot about it and only remember the ending because you thought the ending happened in Big.

It is very easy to prove my theory wrong. Just post a link to a video of the alternate ending. We have a video clip of the ending from 14 going on 30 that exactly matches in every detail the scene that people claim they saw from Big. That is right here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6783tkwbZw0. Watch that, it is the "alternate ending". Except it isn't from Big.

Now, it's possible that there really is the exact same scene, except in Big. That could be true. If so, post a link. No one can do that. No one has the tape, even though it apparently plays in the UK and Australia and New Zealand and Indonesia every five minutes. Until someone can show me the clip, I won't believe them. Future people of the future, when you resurrect this thread in the future, please include a link to the clip on some future video hosting service of the future or don't bother to bump the thread.
Old 05-14-2013, 02:40 AM

On Elizabeth Perkin's official website there is a description of her appearance on ABC's The Chew, where she supposedly said the following:

Quote:
She said when she signed on for the movie Robert de Niro was going to be playing the role of Josh, the young boy who makes the wish to become big. She said they never shot the alternate ending either, which would have been Perkins’ character shrunken down and turned into a child again.
I included the De Niro part because it's weird.

Of course, if they did shoot an alternate ending, they wouldn't have needed Perkins to be present.
Old 05-14-2013, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriPolar View Post
I wonder why nobody can find the original ending to that one. When I first saw it at the theater on the last day he wakes up, goes to the golf course, and tries to blow up the groundhog. I remember it clearly, but every time I see it on cable there's some other ending.
Old 05-14-2013, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyren hatton 1993 View Post
Christmas 2011 in the uk I watched big for the first time on national television and I can assure you the ending scene was the little girl in a classroom with josh.
The film was indeed shown on Christmas Day 2011 on Channel 4, at 5.20pm (listings here). So Channel 4 ought to know about this mystical "alternate ending", right? Go on, get in touch with them. I bet they won't. I remember watching the film that Christmas, too, and it had the same ending it's always had, with the bright autumn leaves as Tom Hanks walks down the street and turns back into a kid in a big suit.
Old 05-14-2013, 10:45 AM
I Am the One Who Bans

This is becoming one of the most frustrating threads in SDMB history.
Old 05-14-2013, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marley23 View Post
Wait, no, that's not the original ending. Didn't TubaDiva step in and say "This is one of the most fascinating threads in SDMB history?"
Old 05-14-2013, 12:30 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
:takes of hat and tips it to everyone:

I'm more stunned that I started a thread 6 years later on the same topic. My bad!

Oh, and for the final time:

The ending is definitely the one in 14 going on 30!

THERE IS NO ALTERNATE ENDING TO BIG!!!
Old 05-14-2013, 12:49 PM
Charter Member

The biggest surprise I got out of this thread was that there was actually a movie called 14 Going on 30. I wonder if the Jennifer Garner movie makers knew this?
Old 05-14-2013, 02:35 PM

Quote:
It's not even in the conversation.

Why does .99999... = 1?

Plane on a treadmill

Monty Hall problem
Old 05-14-2013, 02:42 PM
I Am the One Who Bans

OK, I'll cop to an exaggeration. But the other topics are more interesting!
Old 05-14-2013, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Really? I think it's incredibly entertaining.
Old 05-14-2013, 03:34 PM

Actually, there is an alternate ending. It's just not particularly different from the original. I don't have my copy here, but there was a 1988 comic book adaptation, and it's basically the same, somewhat simplified ending.

For more info:
http://brandedinthe80s.com/6241/file...ok-adaptations
Old 05-14-2013, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smilelio View Post
The girl coming in to his class is DEFINITELY the alternate ending to Big. I grew up in Indonesia (near Australia/New Zealand so I guess that makes sense) and watched that movie ALL the time. Then, when we left all our Beta-Max there and got a VHS version of the movie in the US... I freaked out when I saw the "walking down the street" ending. There is no confusing two different movies going on here. There are two endings out there, and the US version is clearly the only one of anyone has any real evidence of. I don't know why they won't release the alternate ending on the DVD. It's a real shame - it was a very sweet ending.
You sure about that? Big, a movie made in 1988, was released on Betamax?

Nevermind. I see they went way beyond that date.

Last edited by Labrador Deceiver; 05-14-2013 at 04:06 PM.
Old 05-18-2013, 09:07 AM
Charter Member

What happened to the alternate ending of this thread? I could swear when I first read this six years ago, we reached a consensus that we were just conflating memories, the ending was always the fadeout, and everybody had a good laugh about it. But maybe that was just in the Australian/New Zealand version of this board.
Old 05-18-2013, 07:39 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulykamell View Post
What happened to the alternate ending of this thread? I could swear when I first read this six years ago, we reached a consensus that we were just conflating memories, the ending was always the fadeout, and everybody had a good laugh about it. But maybe that was just in the Australian/New Zealand version of this board.
Must have been on Giraffe's board.
Old 05-18-2013, 08:10 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Don't forget that there is an alternate thread on this topic....sadly, made by me as well.
Old 06-23-2013, 12:17 PM

It does exist

I have never posted a comment in my life but some of you people are making me Mad! Just because you haven't personally seen the other ending doesn't mean it doesn't exist or the poster must be thinking of a different movie.
I saw Big when it came out in the theatre and it had the ending where the girl becomes 13 and is introduced to his class at school.
When I first rented the movie on VHS, I almost went ballistic when it ended differently where the two boys were walking their bikes down the street.
YOU ARE NOT CRAZY! THIS VERSION DOES EXIST!
Thank you.
Old 06-23-2013, 12:42 PM
Charter Member

Then show us evidence of it. You would think that if it actually existed someone would have footage of it, no, that would make it to the internet by now, given that all and sundry is available. Or that one of the actors/directors/scriptwriters, someone, would have mentioned it.

This thread is over 11 years old, and in all that time, no further actual evidence of it has been discovered. It seems far, far more likely that it's a conflated memory. My own memory is similar to yours. If asked, I would have thought the ending was the "happy" one. I really don't remember the fade-to-black ending. But the scene from the other movie posted here fits exactly with my memory, so I think I'm almost certain I'm just mixing two memories into one. Happens all the time.

Last edited by pulykamell; 06-23-2013 at 12:46 PM.
Old 06-23-2013, 01:12 PM

Is this turning into the movie version of the "lost Thunderbird photo?"

http://mysteriousuniverse.org/2012/0...erbird-photos/
http://www.prairieghosts.com/tbirdaz.html
Old 06-23-2013, 02:12 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80's Child View Post
I have never posted a comment in my life but some of you people are making me Mad! Just because you haven't personally seen the other ending doesn't mean it doesn't exist or the poster must be thinking of a different movie.
I saw Big when it came out in the theatre and it had the ending where the girl becomes 13 and is introduced to his class at school.
When I first rented the movie on VHS, I almost went ballistic when it ended differently where the two boys were walking their bikes down the street.
Thank you.
You are incapable of misremembering events over a long period of time?
Old 06-23-2013, 03:48 PM

Y'know, we have among (above?) us someone who could reach knowledgeable people up to and including Tom Hanks, Elizabeth Perkins, David Moscow and Penny Marshall, and get an absolutely definitive answer. This would seem to be a significant and persistent enough film legend or not to be worthy of the attention and column inches. Just sayin'.
Old 06-23-2013, 06:42 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Did you even read the thread?

You didn't read the thread.

There is another movie that had that ending. A link to a youtube video of that movie ending is right here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6783tkwbZw0

That is the ending that people claim to remember. It is the ending for a similar movie that you misremembered as "Big".

If there is an alternate ending to "Big" please copy the video to Youtube and post a link as proof. If you can't, then there's no particular reason to believe your decades-old memory. I mean, I can't prove that your memory is wrong, but given the evidence it is extremely unlikely that your memory is correct.

The only way anyone can change my mind is to provide evidence other than their memories. For the love of fuck: future people stop posting that you have a memory of this happening. I understand you have this memory. Your memory is wrong. If you want to convince me otherwise please provide something other than a report about your memory.
Old 06-24-2013, 01:49 AM

Lemer866 - Yes I did read the thread and the movie you are talking about is 14 going on 30. I have never seen this movie so how can I be remembering it.
Czarcasm - How dare you presume to know about my memory!
Here we go- I saw the movie "Big" in June 1988 in Okemos Michigan at the meridian Mall Theater #4
(the same theater I saw "Stripes" in).It was unseasonably warm that night so we decided not to se it at the drive-in. I had just got married a month before.
Or am I thinking of "Married to the Mob."(also 1988) It's so hard to remember that far back.
Look, all I did was respond to a post asking about a movie ending and I told them I too have seen this ending. To all you people who haven't seen this ending and are spouting hate, really your comments are not relevant to the original question of "Does anyone else remember the alternate ending to Big?"(Kind of a yes or no don't you think?)
Old 06-24-2013, 02:00 AM

Quote:
[snip]
Or am I thinking of "Married to the Mob."(also 1988) It's so hard to remember that far back.
[snip]
Exactly.
Old 06-24-2013, 02:22 AM
Charter Member

We are not spouting hate. Mixing together two things in your memory is something that everyone does occasionally. That's how our memories work. You watched the TV movie 14 Going on 30 on ABC on March 6, 1988. Three months later you watched Big in the theater. You mixed them together in your mind. That's not a criticism of you. It's just typical of how human memories are not as good as we usually think they are.
Old 06-24-2013, 02:59 AM

I'll admit, I'm beginning to suspect slightly that they might not be wrong. Is there any other case of an alternative ending that people insist they have seen? Also, the posts where the posters talk about being upset when they saw the movie a different time are getting to me.

Last edited by mr. jp; 06-24-2013 at 03:02 AM.
Old 06-24-2013, 09:54 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. jp View Post
I'll admit, I'm beginning to suspect slightly that they might not be wrong. Is there any other case of an alternative ending that people insist they have seen? Also, the posts where the posters talk about being upset when they saw the movie a different time are getting to me.
I don't know about movies, but there have been interesting studies on the accuracy of memories with experiments like the Challenger Study. In this one, the professor asked his class the day after the explosion and then two and a half years later the details of what they were doing, where they were, etc., when they found out. Even with such an important moment that should be seared into one's memory and with only a 2 1/2 year difference in time from the actual event to recall, 25% of the students had significantly different memories. Only 10% had all the details right, and the rest fell somewhere in the middle in terms of errors.

This page contains one example of the answers from a particular student, and this note:

Quote:
Self-reports of reliability were no indication of accuracy — those who had inaccurate reports were just as likely to be confident as students whose memories were unchanged. Even more interesting was the students’ reactions to the discrepancies. None denied the accuracy of the original statements — but, according to one, “I still remember everything happening the way I told you. I can’t help it.”
Memory really is a weird, weird thing.
Old 06-24-2013, 10:19 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Czarcasm - How dare you presume to know about my memory!
There aren't enough s on the internet for that response.
Quote:
To all you people who haven't seen this ending and are spouting hate...
Now what do I do? The internet is out of s due to the previous silliness of yours.
Old 06-24-2013, 10:27 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. jp View Post
So if enough people have a conflated memory of the alternative ending then there's something to it? Ah, another instance of the "Big" Lie.

Old 06-24-2013, 02:27 PM
Charter Member

Again, it is not 1988 any more. The media landscape is completely different. There's no such thing as bootleg versions that you can only get in France, and you have to know a guy who used to work for Steven Spielberg's cousin.

You remember a different ending for Big. And I believe that you remember a different ending for Big. But you are misremembering. Your memory is not accurate. Memory is notoriously inaccurate. People have been sent to prison for decades based on eyewitness testimony, which has later been proven to have been physically impossible to have occurred. Memory does not work the way most people imagine it works. You don't have a little VCR in your head recording everything, and when you remember something you play back the VCR. Memory is much more like imagining something, or dreaming.

This is why I won't believe that there was an alternate ending to "Big" without evidence OTHER THAN YOUR MEMORY. We know there was a similar movie at a similar time that exactly matches people's memory of the alternate ending.

Which is more plausible--that you watched the other movie, forgot about it, and when you rewatched "Big" thought that scenes from the other movie were from "Big". Or, that there is a secret alternate version that only airs in the UK and Indonesia every third decade, you can't get it here in America.

We have plenty of members here from the UK. They have the internet in the UK nowadays. They have cameras and video recording devices. It would be trivial for someone from the UK to post a video clip from the alternate version to Youtube.

It is more plausible that you misremembered than that the alternate version exists but all records of it have been erased from the globe. If you want to change my mind you have to do more than insist that you really do remember the alternate version. Because I believe you remember the alternate version, I just believe your memory is wrong.
Old 06-24-2013, 02:32 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemur866 View Post
We have plenty of members here from the UK. They have the internet in the UK nowadays. They have cameras and video recording devices. It would be trivial for someone from the UK to post a video clip from the alternate version to Youtube.
Not to mention that the people who made the movie have no recollection of writing or filming this alternate ending.
Old 06-24-2013, 02:52 PM

Not quite as striking, but along the same lines (memory being much more a construct than a recording) is the following fact. I spent two weeks in Ireland, and did a lot of driving while there. I drove a car with the steering wheel on the right side, and I drove on the left side. I know this to be true because--it was Ireland. I couldn't possibly have driven in any other way.

Yet as I recall my trip, I cannot remember driving on the left side with myself on the right side of the car. My memories--and they are very clear!--are of driving on the right side with the steering wheel on the left of the car. These are completely vivid memories. If I'd forgotten about the laws for driving in Ireland for some reason, I'd swear to you, with money on the line, without reservation, that I drove in Ireland in exactly the same way I drive here in the US. The memories are just that stark.

We make our memories, we don't record them. My brain has so little experience with left-side driving that, when it's thinking about my Ireland trip, it just supplies what it does know: right-side driving.
Old 06-24-2013, 03:46 PM

This thread reminds of a conversation I had with a student assistant at work several years ago. He claimed to have seen an episode of Oprah where Liz Claiborne claimed that she gave a percentage of her company's profits to the Church of Satan. I've been interested in urban legends since the early 90s and immediately recognized that his claim was an urban legend. I tried to explain that it wasn't possible for him to have seen this since it didn't actually happen, etc. He wouldn't change his claim. He was absolutely adamant that he he had seen the program and wouldn't be swayed. This is how memory sometimes works.
http://www.snopes.com/racial/business/claiborne.asp
Old 06-27-2013, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accidental Martyr View Post
This is how memory sometimes works.
http://www.snopes.com/racial/business/claiborne.asp
As a subeditor, I am gobsmacked that Esquire would publish what Spike Lee said without any fact-checking. Presumably Liz Claiborne sued the pants off them for libel?

The fact that you are repeating in print what somebody says during an interview does not exempt you from libel laws. If that interview landed on my desk for editing I'd be on the phone to the company lawyers, and Oprah and Claiborne's people, in minutes.
Old 06-27-2013, 01:47 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colophon View Post
As a subeditor, I am gobsmacked that Esquire would publish what Spike Lee said without any fact-checking. Presumably Liz Claiborne sued the pants off them for libel?

The fact that you are repeating in print what somebody says during an interview does not exempt you from libel laws. If that interview landed on my desk for editing I'd be on the phone to the company lawyers, and Oprah and Claiborne's people, in minutes.
US libel law is quite different than UK libel law--here it's very much tilted in favor of the news source. There's nuances to it, but generally you have to prove "actual malice" in the US for public figures.

Wikipedia on it:

Quote:
In United States law, public figure is a term applied in the context of defamation actions (libel and slander) as well as invasion of privacy. A public figure (such as a politician, celebrity, or business leader) cannot base a sample on incorrect harmful statements unless there is proof that the writer or publisher acted with actual malice (knowledge of falsity or reckless disregard for the truth).[1] The burden of proof in defamation actions is higher in the case of a public figure.
Maybe you can find something in the "reckless disregard for the truth," I suppose.

ETA: I am not an attorney, so take that into consideration.

Last edited by pulykamell; 06-27-2013 at 01:49 PM.
Old 06-27-2013, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telemark View Post
Not to mention that the people who made the movie have no recollection of writing or filming this alternate ending.
Has that ever been established? As I said above, it would be a worthy task for Unca Cecil. Also a fairly easy one, whereas us lesser beings would have to work through chains of contacts to get to, say, Tom Hanks or Penny Marshall.
Old 06-27-2013, 01:52 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amateur Barbarian View Post
Has that ever been established? As I said above, it would be a worthy task for Unca Cecil. Also a fairly easy one, whereas us lesser beings would have to work through chains of contacts to get to, say, Tom Hanks or Penny Marshall.
Post #103 has Elizabeth Perkins, at least, saying no alternate ending was shot. (But, as noted, she wouldn't have had to have been present for it.)

Last edited by pulykamell; 06-27-2013 at 01:54 PM.
Old 06-27-2013, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Post #103 has Elizabeth Perkins, at least, saying no alternate ending was shot. (But, as noted, she wouldn't have had to have been present for it.)
In the supposed alternate ending of "Big" who played the younger version of Elizabeth Perkins' character, Susan? Why wasn't she credited for the part?
Old 06-27-2013, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy L View Post
In the supposed alternate ending of "Big" who played the younger version of Elizabeth Perkins' character, Susan? Why wasn't she credited for the part?
There are no credits for deleted or alternate characters. If there were an alternate cut, the actress would be credited there, but not in the (only) (released) cut with the walk-away ending.

An absolute answer is so close - between Cecil and any Doper who has good H'wood ties, a definitive answer is a few phone calls away.
Old 06-27-2013, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amateur Barbarian View Post
There are no credits for deleted or alternate characters. If there were an alternate cut, the actress would be credited there, but not in the (only) (released) cut with the walk-away ending.
Thanks. I didn't realize that.
Old 06-27-2013, 03:29 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Apparently there is commentary on the extended cut DVD where the producers claim that no such alternate ending exists. If this is true, would this have any impact at all on your belief, 80's Child(and others)?
Old 06-27-2013, 05:44 PM

In case no one has yet linked to it, a short Atlantic Monthly piece on why there were several films like Big which were released around the same time (and thus could mess with our memories).
Old 06-27-2013, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy L View Post
Thanks. I didn't realize that.
Not that there aren't exceptions. There are many cases of credits for actors whose work hit the cutting room floor - such as Flash Gordon and Emperor Ming in the end credits of A Christmas Story. But in general, if an actor doesn't appear in a specific cut, you won't see a credit for them even if they shot significant (deleted) scenes.
Old 06-27-2013, 06:19 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
To all you people who haven't seen this ending and are spouting hate, really your comments are not relevant to the original question of "Does anyone else remember the alternate ending to Big?"(Kind of a yes or no don't you think?)
No one is spouting hate, but I think the fact you are realizing your memory is false is making you think that.

And I am the original questioner and listen to me: There is no alternate ending.
Old 06-27-2013, 08:05 PM
The Central Scrutinizer

Quote:
OK, I'll cop to an exaggeration. But the other topics are more interesting!
Ask the conspiracy theorist?
Old 06-27-2013, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahaloth View Post
And I am the original questioner and listen to me: There is no alternate ending.
There can be only one.
Old 06-28-2013, 02:36 AM
Charter Member

This thread is kind of hilarious.

For what it's worth, I'm reading Penny Marshall's autobiography right now and she talks about filming the final scene in "Big" - you see Hanks then hear him walking and then cut back to the kid in an oversized suit, he walks away toward the house. That's it.

The books is sort of fascinating, Marshall seems to know everyone in Hollywood. She was going to use Robert DeNiro for the movie because Hanks, Costner, and Quaid all passed on it initially but Fox didn't want DeNiro for some reason.
Old 09-04-2013, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telemark View Post
I believe the evidence has been presented in other threads or via links, but I can't find it right now.
[QUOTE=Mahaloth;16288773]:takes of hat and tips it to everyone:

I'm more stunned that I started a thread 6 years later on the same topic. My bad!

Oh, and for the final time:

The ending is definitely the one in 14 going on 30!

THERE IS NO ALTERNATE ENDING TO BIG!!![/QUOTE

Mahaloth, this is a message from the Netherlands. Tonight i specially made an account for Straight Dope. Don't let other people tell you your memory is mixed up. You saw what you saw. Just like a few other happy ones. BIG+.

My wife and i are huge fans of Big. The first time we took the time to watch the movie on TV in Holland, (with several comm brakes it's really something), and watching Josh walking to his home and then ending credits, at that exact moment, we looked at eachother and said. What the heeey is this (in Dutch of course). What happened to the rest? Ever since we hope, just as tonight, that the TV broadcast is WITH this ending.

Now, all you memory wizzards. Tell me. ( or actually, don't) How can two people, at the same time, have the "wrong" memory, even on two movie titles ( 13 or 14 going on 30) we never even knew the excistance off. And i looked them back and they didn't ring a bell. THAT's what memory does.

What really, really bothers me most. Was it perhaps on the European release of the VHS which i brought to the second hand store two weeks ago.

THE SEARCH GOES ON! And be honoust. Those who saw it, describe it in the very exact same way. And it was a lovely ending. We don't make this up. We are the happy few.

Last edited by Rickbee; 09-04-2013 at 06:36 PM.
Old 09-04-2013, 06:51 PM
Charter Member

As I said before, I have memory of that ending, too. But I don't think it exists. I'm convinced it's just a conflated memory. It makes no sense to me that in all these years, it hasn't shown up and that people involved in the production of Big seem to deny it. But I would love to be proven wrong.