Old 09-04-2013, 08:13 PM

Similarly, I seem to recall a scene in Raiders of the Lost Ark where after Indy gets to the U-Boat, it begins to dive and he lashes himself to the periscope with his whip.

I can only suppose that one doesn't exist either.
Old 09-04-2013, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickbee View Post
Now, all you memory wizzards. Tell me. ( or actually, don't) How can two people, at the same time, have the "wrong" memory, even on two movie titles ( 13 or 14 going on 30) we never even knew the excistance off.
Argument by incredulity is a poor tactic and human memory is very notably unreliable.

It's amazing how people can remember something that the actors, directors, and writers of the film don't even remember.
Old 09-04-2013, 08:36 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Mahaloth, this is a message from the Netherlands. Tonight i specially made an account for Straight Dope. Don't let other people tell you your memory is mixed up. You saw what you saw. Just like a few other happy ones. BIG+.
Did you find the Straight Dope because you were researching the ending?
Old 09-05-2013, 01:18 PM

Hi. Yep. Inspired by the TV broadcast. I HAD to try it again. Via Google i found it.
Btw. I asked Administrator to change honoust in honest and to please put your post in the quote box. Because I don't know how to do that.
Old 09-05-2013, 01:23 PM

I heart this thread.
Old 09-05-2013, 01:51 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labrador Deceiver View Post
I heart this thread.
It has become my most long-standing contribution to the Dope. I'm proud of it.
Old 09-05-2013, 02:11 PM

This thread is a lot like the scene from the movie where Ben Gazzara and Tom Hanks play a heartfelt game of Whack-a-Mole. I love that part.
Old 09-05-2013, 02:28 PM

Does anyone else remember the alternate ending to this thread? Where once somebody pointed out where the confusion came from everyone just said "Oh, OK." and went on with their lives?
Old 09-05-2013, 03:26 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug K. View Post
Does anyone else remember the alternate ending to this thread? Where once somebody pointed out where the confusion came from everyone just said "Oh, OK." and went on with their lives?
That's how I remember it. It's even there in post 115. We can't both be making that up. What are the chances?
Old 09-05-2013, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Q View Post
Similarly, I seem to recall a scene in Raiders of the Lost Ark where after Indy gets to the U-Boat, it begins to dive and he lashes himself to the periscope with his whip.

I can only suppose that one doesn't exist either.

It was in the novelization and in the Marvel comic adaptation. There isn't a deleted scene available, that I know of, but there are fragments and photos of them shooting it.

http://www.theraider.net/films/raide...ted_scenes.php
Old 09-05-2013, 05:14 PM
The Central Scrutinizer

Quote:
That only appears in the New Zealand version of the SDMB.
Old 09-05-2013, 05:17 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loach View Post
That only appears in the New Zealand version of the SDMB.
Aha! Giraffe did it!
Old 09-05-2013, 05:49 PM

I open this thread every single time with fresh optimism.
Old 09-05-2013, 05:50 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scupper View Post
It was in the novelization and in the Marvel comic adaptation. There isn't a deleted scene available, that I know of, but there are fragments and photos of them shooting it.

http://www.theraider.net/films/raide...ted_scenes.php
Weird, I would've sworn I had seen that scene in the movie... but I did read the novelization afterward, so I guess it is a conflated memory.
Old 09-05-2013, 05:50 PM

I rest my case and i have to apologize. I was wrong. This is the case.
Long time ago i recorded from TV the movie 14 going on 30 on vhs tape. (And we all know THAT ending, don't we?) Later on we accidentally recorded Big OVER 14-30, and since that movie takes longer than Big, right after the endcredits of Big, it continues with the ending of 14-30. The time we sat down to watch Big, we didn't even noticed it. No other characters, the same actors, the swapping of the girl and the teacher. Just in the line of the story in Big. How could my wife and be so wrong all the time. That thing called memory. You really opened our eyes.
And of course thats exactly what happened to all the other people who THINK they saw an alternate Big ending. It's the only explanation. For everyone around the world. NZ, India, UK, USA aso. Sorry guys.

Now with a serious face again. I must say. Why, why, why fcol, is there no copy to be found on the whole planet?............so far. On the other hand. 40millionzilliontrillionhundredthousand people believe Jezus walked on water, and thats not on you tube as well. And thats over 2000y ago by now.

Signing off for now; bedtime in the Netherlands.....

Last edited by Rickbee; 09-05-2013 at 05:53 PM.
Old 09-05-2013, 05:55 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
On the other hand. 40millionzilliontrillionhundredthousand people believe Jezus walked on water, and thats not on you tube as well. And thats over 2000y ago by now.
Um...I don't really think that's advancing your argument at all....
Old 09-05-2013, 05:58 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
40millionzilliontrillionhundredthousand people believe Jezus walked on water, and thats not on you tube as well.
He just had to move very fast.

Last edited by Skywatcher; 09-05-2013 at 05:58 PM.
Old 09-05-2013, 05:59 PM

Quote:

That's just crazy talk man.
Old 09-05-2013, 06:23 PM

It's surprising that the alternate ending isn't mentioned by the director in her autobiography (which of course discusses her 'big' hit), isn't on the extended edition DVD (which does have other deleted scenes), and that the actress who played young Susan isn't talking about her brush with greatness. It's also somewhat odd that Disney copied the alternate ending for "14 Going on 30" without complaints from the writers or producers of "Big."
Old 09-05-2013, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Now with a serious face again. I must say. Why, why, why fcol, is there no copy to be found on the whole planet?
I think you just answered your own question.
Old 02-03-2014, 11:55 AM

Still Believe

Imagine my surprise getting my hands on this movie only to realise the ending was not as I expected.

Going online to look for an alternate ending led me to this forum (via Google) and it is mind-boggling that so many people from all over the world remembers what appears to be a conundrum.

How I remember it:
Josh (Tom Hanks) walking down the street turning from big to young. He goes into his house and you can hear his mother inside.
Next scene is him in class and the teacher announces a new classmate, Susan, standing at the door to the room.

Bear in mind, I did not know about an alternate endings nor the hype of whether or not it actually exists.

Conclusion? I still believe! Albeit, this does not solve anything for there are a number of reasons why either side could be right. Be that old memory at fault or everyone involved in the making of the movie sworn to secrecy.

Absurd? Look up The Day the Clown Cried by Jerry Lewis.

/Jonathan

Last edited by JayEff; 02-03-2014 at 11:59 AM.
Old 02-03-2014, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayEff View Post
Conclusion? I still believe! Albeit, this does not solve anything for there are a number of reasons why either side could be right. Be that old memory at fault or everyone involved in the making of the movie sworn to secrecy.

The conflation between Big and 14 Going on 30 is a completely adequate answer to all the confusion. Believe as you wish.

The Day the Clown Cried is proof of nothing much - the existence of the film isn't disputed, and many details are known of its content (including some publicly released clips). The only "secret" is that the one man with total control of the material refuses to release it. It's not as if it was once released and NOW is somehow trying to be hidden or denied.
Old 02-03-2014, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayEff View Post

/Jonathan
Please explain why you think this is relevant.
Old 02-03-2014, 12:41 PM

Can we get Rick or Darryl or Michonne or somebody in here to kill this thing?
Old 02-21-2014, 10:51 AM

A home video release of this movie in New Zealand is rumored to have included the full version. It shows young Josh sitting in his classroom at school, when he turns around to notice a young female classmate of whom he recognises as Susan - who went back to the fairground machine and wished that she was Josh's age. The US DVD release of this film was cut to exclude the word Fuck being said. It simply shows Josh and Billy walking up their street, then the credits roll in. The next scene was supposed to bring them to the classroom but it was cut.
Old 02-21-2014, 10:56 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DollyT View Post
A home video release of this movie in New Zealand is rumored to have included the full version. It shows young Josh sitting in his classroom at school, when he turns around to notice a young female classmate of whom he recognises as Susan - who went back to the fairground machine and wished that she was Josh's age. The US DVD release of this film was cut to exclude the word Fuck being said. It simply shows Josh and Billy walking up their street, then the credits roll in. The next scene was supposed to bring them to the classroom but it was cut.
You are repeating an unsubstantiated rumor that has already been disproved numerous times, both in this thread and elsewhere.
Old 02-21-2014, 10:57 AM
The Central Scrutinizer

Quote:
I guess you didn't bother to read the rest of the thread.
Old 02-21-2014, 11:00 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
The next scene was supposed to bring them to the classroom but it was cut.
No, it wasn't. It was never filmed for this movie, it was filmed for a different movie. Unless you have a clip from this alleged NZ home video release you're just repeating what has been said multiple times in this thread. It's a story without evidence, and there's lots of evidence that says the story is wrong.

Try again, and welcome to the Straight Dope.
Old 02-21-2014, 11:15 AM

Will someone hold this stake while I pound it through the heart of this ever-undead thread?
Old 02-21-2014, 12:05 PM

Since no one appears to have ever followed up on this, although I am certain Unca Cece and any number of well-connected Dopers could do so easily... I have today written to Tom Hanks, Penny Marshall and Gary Ross to get a definitive answer to the question. I would expect at least staff replies from all three. Will post, of course.
Old 02-21-2014, 12:09 PM

Quote:
I heard the same story, but the hook was on his foot...
Old 02-21-2014, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amateur Barbarian View Post
Since no one appears to have ever followed up on this, although I am certain Unca Cece and any number of well-connected Dopers could do so easily... I have today written to Tom Hanks, Penny Marshall and Gary Ross to get a definitive answer to the question. I would expect at least staff replies from all three. Will post, of course.
Thank you.
Old 02-21-2014, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy L View Post
Thank you.
Oh, don't thank me... yet.

We could all turn out to be w... wr... w-w... wrrr...

Stay tuned.
Old 02-21-2014, 02:27 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy L View Post
Thank you.
And I thank you...but it won't matter one bit. If someone isn't going to read the thread before responding, it doesn't matter what the thread contains.
Old 02-21-2014, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Oh, don't thank me... yet.

We could all turn out to be w... wr... w-w... wrrr...

Stay tuned.
I'd be perfectly happy to be wrong - I'd just like to have a definitive answer from someone in the know.
Old 02-21-2014, 02:37 PM
Charter Member

FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK

Is this the rest of my life? I'm like, innocently reading the Dope when I should be working, and turn to Cafe Society, and this thread pops up?

And I know how it will go. How will it go? Someone will say, "Yeah, I remember the alternate ending to Big. It showed in New Zealand. Once. In 1987. And today I saw Big again, and the ending was different! And I thought I'd bump this thread but not read it!"

And wow! It turns out I was totally right. That was exactly what happened. Just like the other half dozen times this thread has been bumped.

FUTURE PEOPLE OF THE FUTURE, HEED MY WARNING

Yes, you, the one reading this in the future. Read the whole thread! Before you bump it! Yes, skip back and don't just necropost.

And now, to predict the future....I see...I see...I see a man....at a computer....years from now....he is ignoring my words....FUUUUUUUUUUUUCK!
Old 02-21-2014, 03:35 PM
The Central Scrutinizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telemark View Post
Unless you have a clip from this alleged NZ home video release you're just repeating what has been said multiple times in this thread.
There is a special New Zealand version but it was only seen by sheep and Hobbits.
Old 02-21-2014, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Czarcasm View Post
And I thank you...but it won't matter one bit. If someone isn't going to read the thread before responding, it doesn't matter what the thread contains.
Perhaps we can get a mod to sticky a SEE POST 195 insert at the beginning, once I make the post.

But no. Someone will claim they watched it from the grassy knoll or something.
Old 02-21-2014, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Yankee View Post
I heard the same story, but the hook was on his foot...
It just doesn't matter.
Old 02-21-2014, 04:40 PM

"I understood that reference!"
-Captain America
Old 02-21-2014, 04:46 PM
Charter Member

You know what's really interesting? When I looked at the SDMB in New Zealand, I couldn't find this thread!
Old 02-21-2014, 05:07 PM
Nope! I said stop!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chancetx View Post
it just doesn't matter.
Yes, IT JUST DOESNT MATTER!

Last edited by IvoryTowerDenizen; 02-21-2014 at 05:08 PM.
Old 02-21-2014, 05:13 PM
BANNED

I saw Big in the theatre and on VHS and on TV and have never seen but the one ending where the kid is walking down the street.
Old 02-21-2014, 05:18 PM

Actually at the risk of throwing gasoline on a fire, I actually remember a different alternate ending. The one I remember is of him going back home as normal, but then later that night, he's outside his house and a 13 year old Susan shows up. The scene would have been 30 seconds in total. Maybe I'm thinking of another movie, but I'm almost dead certain I'm thinking of an alternate ending for Big.

Last edited by bowspearer; 02-21-2014 at 05:22 PM.
Old 02-21-2014, 05:22 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowspearer View Post
Actually at the risk of throwing gasoline on a fire, I actually remember a different alternate ending. The one I remember is of him going back home as normal, but then later that night, he's outside his house and a 13 year old Susan shows up. The scene would have been 30 seconds in total. Maybe I'm thinking of another movie, but I'm almost dead certain I'm thinking of an alternate ending for Big.
No.
Old 02-21-2014, 05:23 PM

You all realize that once this is settled, the argument will turn to the suppressed alternate beginning of "Little."
Old 02-21-2014, 05:29 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Did you read through this thread before posting this?
Old 02-21-2014, 05:35 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Yeaaaaah.....no.

Read the thread, for the love of Kate Upton in Zero Gravity.
Old 02-21-2014, 05:40 PM

The real ending is when the much older Josh talks to his younger self on an old CB radio and tells him not to make the wish. Josh then grows up, is stranded on an island and dies of AIDS acquired from a dirty volleyball.
Old 02-21-2014, 05:40 PM

Surprise level upon seeing two "Join Date: Feb 2014" - zero.
Quote:
That is very cool of you! (And won't do a lick of good, but will justify my fury at the future posters, so thanks for that!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Czarcasm View Post
No.
And now I'm picturing Czarcasm as Michael Caine.