Old 02-21-2014, 05:42 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayEff View Post
Absurd? Look up The Day the Clown Cried by Jerry Lewis.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Accidental Martyr View Post
Please explain why you think this is relevant.
The existence of a Jerry Lewis Holocaust movie proves that anything is possible in Hollywood.
Old 02-21-2014, 05:52 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Nemo View Post
The existence of a Jerry Lewis Holocaust movie proves that anything is possible in Hollywood.
Except Hollywood didn't really have anything to do with the movie. It's the product of Jerry Lewis with the help of a Belgian producer, a Swiss cinematographer, a French production designer, a French assistant director, and two American writers who have only one other writing credit between them.

Last edited by Skywatcher; 02-21-2014 at 05:52 PM.
Old 02-21-2014, 07:17 PM

Well, someone read through the thread thoroughly enough today to visit my blog post about false memories of fictional entertainment, which is linked on page 2.
Old 02-21-2014, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Czarcasm View Post
Did you read through this thread before posting this?
Did you even bother reading the post and actually recognising that what I was referring to here was completely different to the ending of "14 going on 30"? On second thought, you don't need to answer that as your post clearly demonstrates you didn't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemur866 View Post
Yeaaaaah.....no.

Read the thread, for the love of Kate Upton in Zero Gravity.
You mean the part of the thread where the OP confuses the ending of "14 going on 30" yet that in no way, shape or form addresses the alternate ending I recall seeing for it?

Next time you're demanding someone read the thread, why don't you try taking your own advice and actually make sure you've properly read the post you're replying to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unauthorized Cinnamon View Post
Surprise level upon seeing two "Join Date: Feb 2014" - zero.
That is very cool of you! (And won't do a lick of good, but will justify my fury at the future posters, so thanks for that!)
Yes because heaven forbid that I:

-happened to be watching Big last night on TV;
- was genuinely surprised that the ending was completely different to what I remembered it;
- did a google search on it & found this thread;
- read this thread and found that found that the ending it discusses (namely for "14 going on 30") didn't match the one I found, and
- might have specifically joined here to genuinely work out if either I had seen some obscure ending for it or there was some other 80s movie I'd forgotten about that I might want to rediscover.

But of course I forgot that actually actively reading posts requires far more energy of you and others who have responded to me, than simply deciding to ASS-U-ME without properly reading my post and effectively responding with words to the effect of "OMG U R TEH SUK! STFU NOOB!"
Old 02-21-2014, 07:53 PM

bowspearer, rest your sphincter. I'm sure because you actively read posts, you saw that there were two idiots before you who resurrected the thread this February, having clearly registered just for that purpose.

But yeah, you are probably also wrong. Relax and have fun with it. Join us in our collective howls of frustration combined with cynical laughter when this gets bumped every 4 months. It's bracing!
Old 02-21-2014, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unauthorized Cinnamon View Post
bowspearer, rest your sphincter. I'm sure because you actively read posts, you saw that there were two idiots before you who resurrected the thread this February, having clearly registered just for that purpose.

But yeah, you are probably also wrong. Relax and have fun with it. Join us in our collective howls of frustration combined with cynical laughter when this gets bumped every 4 months. It's bracing!
Ugh, where's a desk with broken glass glued to it so I can head-desk.

UC, you're in no position to be talking about sphincters when in the case of yourself and others who replied to me, replies blatantly implied that people's heads were in close proximity to their sphincters.

Yes there was 4 pages of people insisting that the ending to "14 going on 30" was an alternate ending to Big - even though there was even a youtube clip posted early on which proved otherwise. If that were my confusion, then after watching that youtube clip, which I did, I wouldn't have posted. The fact is that I had read the thread and even then the mystery of the alt ending I recall seeing as a kid hadn't been solved.

The fact is that at the end of the day, had properly reading my post, you would have discovered that it was in a different category of the "donkey say no" [family guy reference for those not familiar with it] posts which had been streaming in on the thread to date.

Yet you and others choose instead to project your frustrations with others onto me and when it came to actually reading my post, to ASS-U-ME.

As for whether I'm right or not and it is an alternate ending, maybe I am mixing it up with another movie - again, something I stated was a possibility in my initial post here.

Either way, it in no way shape or form changes the fact that I signed up here to ask a genuine question which the thread didn't answer (namely whether what I remembered was from some alternative cut of "Big" or some other movie and if so, which one) and was met with nothing but unwarranted douche-baggery from people.

Last edited by bowspearer; 02-21-2014 at 08:07 PM.
Old 02-21-2014, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowspearer View Post
I signed up here to ask a genuine question which the thread didn't answer (namely whether what I remembered was from some alternative cut of "Big" or some other movie and if so, which one)
AFAIK there is no alternative cut to "Big". I think you are conflating the ending to "14 going on 30" with that of "Big" as they had a similar plot gimmick. Maybe someone here knows more and can shed some light on the issue.
Old 02-21-2014, 11:21 PM

Listen, when that jet takes off from that treadmill, I think we all know what the in-flight movie will be.
Old 02-21-2014, 11:42 PM

I hope there's pie.
Old 02-21-2014, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKilez View Post
AFAIK there is no alternative cut to "Big". I think you are conflating the ending to "14 going on 30" with that of "Big" as they had a similar plot gimmick. Maybe someone here knows more and can shed some light on the issue.
That's just it, what I remember seeing wasn't the classroom ending which everyone in this thread has been talking about with "14 to 30", but of a teenage "Susan" showing up at the end of it at Josh's place at night. It may well be from another movie, but it's definitely not "14 to 30".

Hopefully someone will read this though, know the scene I'm referring to and either confirm it was in "Big" (I'm 98% sure it was on a video of it I saw as a kid here in Australia) or be able to point out exactly which movie it was from.
Old 02-22-2014, 12:38 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
That's just it, what I remember seeing wasn't the classroom ending which everyone in this thread has been talking about with "14 to 30", but of a teenage "Susan" showing up at the end of it at Josh's place at night. It may well be from another movie, but it's definitely not "14 to 30".

Hopefully someone will read this though, know the scene I'm referring to and either confirm it was in "Big" (I'm 98% sure it was on a video of it I saw as a kid here in Australia) or be able to point out exactly which movie it was from.
To date, no one has come up with evidence for any alternate ending for Big.
Old 02-22-2014, 12:41 AM

Quote:
But this is different. This is the alternate alternate ending...
Old 02-22-2014, 12:48 AM

Quote:
And where did I say that what I saw must have been the alternate ending? Yes I've said that I'm confident it was, but I've also acknowledged the possibility that it might have been from a different movie from the getgo (as well as stating I was curious as to which movie it was in that case).

Furthermore, last I checked, an eyewitness account was evidence of something- circumstantial and anecdotal evidence, certainly, but evidence nonetheless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban Plankton View Post
But this is different. This is the alternate alternate ending...
boring troll is boring.
Old 02-22-2014, 01:02 AM

It has come to my attention that there is a strange illness afflicting many people on the internet. It manifests as a mild neurodegenerative disorder and, for currently unknown reasons, is targeted around the movie "Big". In this movie, there is a well known alternate ending aired in the English-speaking Oceanic regions in which Tom Hanks sees the main love interest de-aged, entering the class.

In fact, this ending is well documented, and known to be distinct from the similar ending of the contemporary movie "14 going on 30". For instance, this clip on Youtube which has over 5 million views. The interesting thing about this illness is an inability to process evidence about the alternate ending. Most afflicted respondents report seeing a "This video is unavailable" page, and report hearing no sound.

It is unknown how this illness developed, or why it only targets memories of the movie "Big", of all things, but it is an alarming development and close watch must be kept to make sure it doesn't become more serious. If you have this illness, please seek help.

Last edited by Jragon; 02-22-2014 at 01:05 AM.
Old 02-22-2014, 01:03 AM

It has come to my attention that there is a strange illness afflicting many people on the internet. It manifests as a mild neurodegenerative disorder and, for currently unknown reasons, is targeted around the movie "Big". In this movie, there is a well known urban legend detailing a fake alternate ending purportedly aired in the English-speaking Oceanic regions in which Tom Hanks sees the main love interest de-aged, entering the class.

This is, of course, bogus. This is possibly a conflated memory of the contemporary movie "14 going on 30". However, what is curious is that many of those afflicted may watch this clip on Youtube. When watching, they describe conclusive proof of the alternate ending, and claim the video has over 5 million views. The interesting thing about this illness is an inability to process evidence about the alternate ending. Most afflicted respondents report seeing the "14 going on 30" clip and characterizing the "alternate ending to Big" as distinctly different.

It is unknown how this illness developed, or why it only targets memories of the movie "Big", of all things, but it is an alarming development and close watch must be kept to make sure it doesn't become more serious. If you have this illness, please seek help.

Last edited by Jragon; 02-22-2014 at 01:06 AM.
Old 02-22-2014, 01:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jragon View Post
It has come to my attention that there is a strange illness permeating many people on the internet.
Really, is it similar to the cases of selective hysterical blindness which you and other posters develop when you encounter posts from people who claim to have seen an alternate ending for "Big" which isn't the one from "14 to 30" and are trying to work out whether it was from "Big" or some other movie?

Or are you genuinely that uneducated that you think that night-time outside of a building and daytime inside of a classroom, look completely identical?

Last edited by bowspearer; 02-22-2014 at 01:09 AM.
Old 02-22-2014, 01:13 AM

I think you're taking my joke far too seriously. Sorry if it seemed like I was insulting you. It was aimed at the general back and forth nature of the thread, and not at any particular party in the argument.

Last edited by Jragon; 02-22-2014 at 01:14 AM.
Old 02-22-2014, 01:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jragon View Post
I think you're taking my joke far too seriously. Sorry if it seemed like I was insulting you. It was aimed at the general back and forth nature of the thread, and not at any particular party in the argument.
If you meant it as a joke, then fair enough. Unfortunately this was a prime example of the first lesson of comedy - namely that timing is everything.

The problem is that, in the past 15 hours, things did get snarky and personal towards me and so I was responding to you in the context of it being on the tail end of that. In general terms though, I have to agree with you. I can't understand why so many people would still claim that the ending to "14 to 30" is an alternate ending to Big when there's a youtube clip there clearly proving otherwise. Heck, I even checked that youtube clip just to make sure that wasn't what I was remembering.
Old 02-22-2014, 03:53 AM

Oh poor you. "They started it!"

I don't trust your memory for shit. Anecdotal evidence is not data.
Old 02-22-2014, 03:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis Dee View Post
Oh poor you. "They started it!"

I don't trust your memory for shit. Anecdotal evidence is not data.
Predictable troll is predictable.

To be honest, I'm done here. I actually thought, given the mission statement of the board, it might have been an intelligent move actually trying to figure this out.

However it's blatantly obvious from what has transpired that not only is the board mission statement about fighting ignorance utterly ironic in light of the responses I've gotten (with maybe one or exceptions), but that far from fighting ignorance, the average poster here doesn't even have the reading and comprehension skills of a second grader.

Congratulations, you all "win at internets".
Old 02-22-2014, 06:11 AM

Quote:
And where did I say that what I saw must have been the alternate ending? Yes I've said that I'm confident it was, but I've also acknowledged the possibility that it might have been from a different movie from the getgo (as well as stating I was curious as to which movie it was in that case).

Furthermore, last I checked, an eyewitness account was evidence of something- circumstantial and anecdotal evidence, certainly, but evidence nonetheless.

boring troll is boring.
Quote:

To be honest, I'm done here. I actually thought, given the mission statement of the board, it might have been an intelligent move actually trying to figure this out.

However it's blatantly obvious from what has transpired that not only is the board mission statement about fighting ignorance utterly ironic in light of the responses I've gotten (with maybe one or exceptions), but that far from fighting ignorance, the average poster here doesn't even have the reading and comprehension skills of a second grader.

Congratulations, you all "win at internets".
bowspearer, just so you know, accusing someone of trolling is only allowed in the "BBQ Pit" forum.
Old 02-22-2014, 06:27 AM
Charter Member

Look, I'm sorry, bowspearer, but people conflate two movies (or TV shows or whatever) in their mind quite often. It's not just confined to the movies Big and 14 Going on 30. I know you sincerely think that you're remembering correctly, but until we can be shown this alternate ending you think you saw, we have to be suspicious. You want to claim that you have eyewitness testimony to such an ending (i.e., your personal memory of the ending out in the street with the 13-year-old Susan), but the fact is that eyewitness testimony is fraught with all sorts of problems:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eyewitness_testimony

In doubting you, we're not claiming that you're lying or that your memory is particularly bad. Unfortunately, the reality is that most people's memories are not nearly as good as they think they are. Indeed, memory doesn't work the way that people think it does. The fact is that people don't have memories that work like instant replay for events that happened 26 years ago. It's particularly bad for Big and 14 Going on 30 because they came out within three months of each other, but smearing together two movies (or whatever) is actually quite common. Human beings are not recorders that can accurately play back scenes. Sorry, but that's the way it is.

Last edited by Wendell Wagner; 02-22-2014 at 06:28 AM.
Old 02-22-2014, 07:30 AM

If bowspearer posts a clip to their version of the alternate ending I'll stop rolling my eyes.
Old 02-22-2014, 07:40 AM

I hate to bring this up (maybe I'm not the first), but any that "14 Going on 30" was produced with two endings? As we all know, this is often done for TV purposes (different edits, not necessarily endings), and I could see why a scene implying teenage sex might be deleted for a version broadcast on prime time or children's-hour television.
Old 02-22-2014, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKellyMap View Post
I hate to bring this up (maybe I'm not the first), but any that "14 Going on 30" was produced with two endings? As we all know, this is often done for TV purposes (different edits, not necessarily endings), and I could see why a scene implying teenage sex might be deleted for a version broadcast on prime time or children's-hour television.
You sadistic bastard.

Last edited by Maserschmidt; 02-22-2014 at 07:52 AM.
Old 02-22-2014, 07:59 AM

Just asking questions....

Last edited by JKellyMap; 02-22-2014 at 08:00 AM.
Old 02-22-2014, 08:03 AM
Charter Member

14 Going on 30 was a television movie, so it's unlikely to have a version edited for television:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/14_Going_on_30
Old 02-22-2014, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendell Wagner View Post
14 Going on 30 was a television movie, so it's unlikely to have a version edited for television:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/14_Going_on_30
Yes, but they might have had an "after 9 PM broadcast" edit, and a "before 9 PM broadcast" edit, or something.

I think the "misremembered" explanation is still the most likely one for all of this.
Old 02-22-2014, 12:18 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Yes, but they might have had an "after 9 PM broadcast" edit, and a "before 9 PM broadcast" edit, or something.
That does happen on occasion. Trucks, for example.
Old 02-22-2014, 12:31 PM
I Am the One Who Bans

Moderating

Quote:
boring troll is boring.
Quote:

To be honest, I'm done here.
If you're not done here, you will not call another poster a troll again. You can't do that on this board unless you're in The BBQ Pit forum.
Old 02-22-2014, 01:10 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Not very likely, since this was made by Disney for young teens.

Last edited by Czarcasm; 02-22-2014 at 01:11 PM.
Old 02-22-2014, 01:16 PM

There's a much simpler counter-argument to all the claims, no matter what details the proponents of the alternate-ending theory want to state.

If this alternate ending was EVER publicly shown, anywhere in the world, why is there not a single clip, still, image capture or other recording of it? This is not a minor movie. The very least claims of "I saw it, I'm sure I did" must have involved audiences of many thousands, if not millions, at least a few of whom should have taped it, taken a photo, something. Yet in all this time, and all the duration of this argument, no one has turned up a clip or a still of young Josh and young Susan in any setting at all.

I am the last to believe anything like "everything is on Google/YouTube/the net" but this is a piece of mass-market culture that purportedly reached a goodly cultural mass. One piece of evidence would settle the argument forever. No such evidence has turned up. That's pretty damned convincing, IMVHO.

But final proof has been solicited; waiting is.

Last edited by Amateur Barbarian; 02-22-2014 at 01:17 PM.
Old 02-22-2014, 01:49 PM
Charter Member

Yep. And I think (not going to reread), that point is buried somewhere in this thread. I mean, especially if it really was on an NZ home video edition of the movie, it's almost impossibly unlikely it wouldn't have surfaced by now.
Old 02-22-2014, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Really, is it similar to the cases of selective hysterical blindness which you and other posters develop when you encounter posts from people who claim to have seen an alternate ending for "Big" which isn't the one from "14 to 30" and are trying to work out whether it was from "Big" or some other movie?
Fine. So let's try it this way:

You've seen a movie with an ending that's not the same as the ending of Big, and it's also not the same as the ending of 14 Going on 30.

Which is the more likely explanation: that you've seen an 'alternate ending' to the movie Big that nobody else in the entire world seems to have seen, and for which no evidence of its existence exists outside your own recollection...or that you saw a different movie?
Old 05-09-2014, 09:24 PM

The strange and still unresolved thread on the Johnny Carson mystery guest made me think to go back and bump this thread.

I mailed short, polite letters to Marshall, Hanks and Ross around February 20th, putting the question concisely and inviting answers from staff as well as the principals. It's been nearly three months and no reply from any of them.

Oh, well. Sort of sad to find that traditional fan mail is just ignored these days.
Old 05-19-2014, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amateur Barbarian View Post
The strange and still unresolved thread on the Johnny Carson mystery guest made me think to go back and bump this thread.
What thread is that now?
Old 05-19-2014, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by An Gadaí View Post
What thread is that now?
This thread. It was a lot of fun, and was resolved in the best SDMB fashion on 5/14. Of course, also in the best SDMB fashion, it was still going yesterday.
Old 09-07-2014, 04:21 PM

Just watched big AGAIN

I have just watched Big again for the first time in a few years, my husband made a comment about it while it was on asking if I thought they ever met up again. my reply was have u never saw this film?? I had in my head the ending where she went back and used the machine and joined him in class. I googled it once that wasn't the ending that I watched and found this thread. I have watched the YouTube link and that's definately not what I was thinking about. There was a young red headed girl in the endind I remember. My 14 year old daughter has just backed me up by agreeing about another ending so wondering if it does really exist!
Old 09-07-2014, 05:56 PM

No. It doesn't. It never has.
But seeing how persistant this rumor is it wouldn't surprise me a bit if someone cobbled together a phony alternate ending and tried to pass it off as real.
Old 09-07-2014, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug K. View Post
No. It doesn't. It never has.
But seeing how persistant this rumor is it wouldn't surprise me a bit if someone cobbled together a phony alternate ending and tried to pass it off as real.
Using zombies?
Old 09-07-2014, 06:39 PM

BTW, still no replies to my inquiries.

Nobody listen to Zathras.

It might be worth finding that scene in the other movie and posting it...

Last edited by Amateur Barbarian; 09-07-2014 at 06:40 PM.
Old 09-07-2014, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amateur Barbarian View Post
BTW, still no replies to my inquiries.

Nobody listen to Zathras.
You may have better luck trying to contact the lesser-known actors & crew. David Moscow, for example, who played the kid. He even has a Facebook page.

Heck, even Elizabeth Perkins' career has been fairly idle recently, ever since Weeds was cancelled.
Old 09-07-2014, 11:24 PM

Ending of 14 Going on 30.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6783tkwbZw0
Old 09-07-2014, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cakecrumbs View Post
My 14 year old daughter has just backed me up by agreeing about another ending so wondering if it does really exist!
Nope.

And asking somebody who wasn't even alive when the movie was initially released is probably not the best idea. It actually leads more credence to the idea that this "alternate ending" is a different movie getting mixed with this one.
Old 09-08-2014, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frylock View Post
Not quite as striking, but along the same lines (memory being much more a construct than a recording) is the following fact. I spent two weeks in Ireland, and did a lot of driving while there. I drove a car with the steering wheel on the right side, and I drove on the left side. I know this to be true because--it was Ireland. I couldn't possibly have driven in any other way.

Yet as I recall my trip, I cannot remember driving on the left side with myself on the right side of the car. My memories--and they are very clear!--are of driving on the right side with the steering wheel on the left of the car. These are completely vivid memories. If I'd forgotten about the laws for driving in Ireland for some reason, I'd swear to you, with money on the line, without reservation, that I drove in Ireland in exactly the same way I drive here in the US. The memories are just that stark.

We make our memories, we don't record them. My brain has so little experience with left-side driving that, when it's thinking about my Ireland trip, it just supplies what it does know: right-side driving.
This is a fascinating anecdote.
Old 09-08-2014, 01:38 AM

This is my favourite zombie.
Old 09-08-2014, 02:31 AM
BANNED

Wow! What a bizarre thread this is. I just spent about a half hour trying to page through all the years and see if this was ever resolved, and it appears not to have been.

I am 100% positive that the first time I saw "Big", it had the ending that is being discussed. I am also 100% positive I am not conflating it with "14 Going on 30", a movie which I had never even heard of before I read this thread.

No, "Big" was shown in the U.S. with the ending where she changes herself into a young girl at the end. It was a wonderful ending. It was a redemption for her and a chance to live her life over again and not make the poor choices that she had ended up regretting. I have a very distinct memory of again seeing the movie on television, and being dumbfounded that they would cut out the final scene, which to me was the best part of the movie. Until I saw this thread, I had no idea that the cut version was considered to be the "normal" ending. I had assumed some idiot television editor had done it. This is kind of blowing my mind, because it's almost not even the same movie without that final scene.

And let me remind those who say there's "no evidence" for the scene of something. You may recall the "rumor" of the "in the ass" comment that aired on The Newlywed Game, which Snopes swore up and down was a myth.... until a clip surfaced and aired on Comedy Central. The fact that you can't easily find a clip of something on You Tube doesn't mean it doesn't exist.
Old 09-08-2014, 03:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killing Time View Post
I am 100% positive...
Don't you mean, you're 99.999...% positive?

[d&r]
Old 09-08-2014, 04:39 AM

Quote:
I am not conflating it with "14 Going on 30", a movie which I had never even heard of before I read this thread.
Did you watch the clip?
Old 09-08-2014, 08:30 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
No, "Big" was shown in the U.S. with the ending where she changes herself into a young girl at the end. It was a wonderful ending. It was a redemption for her and a chance to live her life over again and not make the poor choices that she had ended up regretting.
Except it wasn't. There are no reviews mentioning it, none of the people involved in the movie have mentioned it, actors in the movie have specifically denied it. You would have us believe that there has never been a mention of it on any of the commentary at the time or since? It's just not plausible, or even possible. There wasn't an alternative ending shot.

You're simply confusing it with another similar movie that was released at a similar time with a similar theme. It happens all the time.