Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #251  
Old 09-08-2014, 09:11 AM
Sterling Archer Sterling Archer is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 1,058
I am with the dissenters. I remember a young Susan coming to Josh's class at the end of Big and it was NOT the same as the "14 going on 30" clip. That doesn't match my memory of that scene at all.
  #252  
Old 09-08-2014, 10:12 AM
Accidental Martyr Accidental Martyr is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 3,143
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sterling Archer View Post
I am with the dissenters. I remember a young Susan coming to Josh's class at the end of Big and it was NOT the same as the "14 going on 30" clip. That doesn't match my memory of that scene at all.
Describe the scene you believe you saw.
  #253  
Old 09-08-2014, 10:30 AM
Amateur Barbarian Amateur Barbarian is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: F.O.S.O.N.E.
Posts: 19,904
It's occurred to me that the "alternate ending" is a case of mass delusion brought on by wishful thinking. It's a powerful movie, emotionally, and the ending has the same wistful what-if pathos as Witness. I can remember, several years after I first saw the movie, having a sense that she did show up again at the end... because we really want her to. I think it's meant to be one of the post-ending possibilities, and some of us choose to add up the story pointers that way. The film's all the more moving and memorably because we don't know what's next in Josh's life; there is no neat conclusion or end to the story.

That, plus the similar ending of 14/30... and there's no real mystery.
  #254  
Old 09-08-2014, 10:32 AM
Suburban Plankton's Avatar
Suburban Plankton Suburban Plankton is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 7,974
Obviously, this topic is proof that the Multiverse theory is correct. Somewhere out there is an alternate universe where Big and 14 Going on 30 are in fact the same movie...and somehow some people have been accidentally transported here from their 'home dimension'.

I can only imagine the horror being experienced by their counterparts who were swept from their homes here in our dimension, and are now cursed to spending the rest of their lives wondering where Tom Hanks got that Van Dyke beard.
  #255  
Old 09-08-2014, 03:05 PM
Killing Time Killing Time is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 276
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage Rat View Post
Did you watch the clip?
Yes. That cage thing with the lighting bolts flowing over it and the nerdy kid with the glasses and sportcoat look completely alien to me - like I movie I have never seen nor ever heard of before.
  #256  
Old 09-08-2014, 03:10 PM
IvoryTowerDenizen's Avatar
IvoryTowerDenizen IvoryTowerDenizen is online now
Nope! I said stop!
Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: North Shore of LI
Posts: 19,297
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killing Time View Post
Yes. That cage thing with the lighting bolts flowing over it and the nerdy kid with the glasses and sportcoat look completely alien to me - like I movie I have never seen nor ever heard of before.
What about the classroom scene?
  #257  
Old 09-08-2014, 03:15 PM
Killing Time Killing Time is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 276
Quote:
Originally Posted by Telemark View Post
Except it wasn't. There are no reviews mentioning it,
Reviewers tend to not spoil the ending of a movie, so first of all, it's unlikely you would find such a review, and second, even if such a review exists, the fact that YOU have not found it does not mean it doesn't exist.
Quote:
none of the people involved in the movie have mentioned it, actors in the movie have specifically denied it.
Do you have a cite for that? I would be interested in seeing those interviews.

Also, don't forget that Bob Eubanks specifically denied the "in the ass" incident, even though it later turned out to be true, and he was right there when it happened.

Quote:
You would have us believe that there has never been a mention of it on any of the commentary at the time or since?
How do you know that's the case? I am open to the possibility that it has never been mentioned in any commentary, but not just because you say so. You are making a negative assertion, which is pretty hard to prove, but if you can, I'm willing to listen.
Quote:
It's just not plausible, or even possible. There wasn't an alternative ending shot.
I don't know how you can say that. Different endings are shot ALL THE TIME for movies, and movies get changed all the time.
Quote:
You're simply confusing it with another similar movie that was released at a similar time with a similar theme. It happens all the time.
As I said, it's extremely unlikely that I could confuse it with a movie that I have never seen nor heard of before now. I agree it happens all the time, but that doesn't prove it's happening in this case. Were I the only person who remembered it, I would assume that my memory was somehow faulty. But since so many other people ALSO remember it, I suspect it is just another victim of the pre-YouTube era.

Last edited by Killing Time; 09-08-2014 at 03:19 PM.
  #258  
Old 09-08-2014, 03:22 PM
Killing Time Killing Time is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 276
Quote:
Originally Posted by IvoryTowerDenizen View Post
What about the classroom scene?
In my memory, they did not hold hands in the scene I saw. Not the same at all.

I guess my question at this point would be: Why is it impossible for you to believe that they shot two different endings? It's a pretty common practice in Hollywood.

Last edited by Killing Time; 09-08-2014 at 03:23 PM.
  #259  
Old 09-08-2014, 03:26 PM
IvoryTowerDenizen's Avatar
IvoryTowerDenizen IvoryTowerDenizen is online now
Nope! I said stop!
Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: North Shore of LI
Posts: 19,297
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killing Time View Post

Also, don't forget that Bob Eubanks specifically denied the "in the ass" incident, even though it later turned out to be true, and he was right there when it happened.
I imagine the "in the butt" was not admitted to because it was crass and embarrassing for the time period and for a risque, but family-friendly show.

What could possibly be the motive to not admit to or talk about the alternative ending? It's not a secret that people think this ending exists, so why all the hush-hush?
  #260  
Old 09-08-2014, 03:27 PM
Killing Time Killing Time is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 276
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amateur Barbarian View Post
It's occurred to me that the "alternate ending" is a case of mass delusion brought on by wishful thinking. It's a powerful movie, emotionally, and the ending has the same wistful what-if pathos as Witness. I can remember, several years after I first saw the movie, having a sense that she did show up again at the end... because we really want her to.
So you find it more likely that you are among a group of people suffering from mass delusion than they shot two endings and screened then in different markets? See, I find the latter more believable than the former.
  #261  
Old 09-08-2014, 03:29 PM
Killing Time Killing Time is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 276
Quote:
Originally Posted by IvoryTowerDenizen View Post
I imagine the "in the butt" was not admitted to because it was crass and embarrassing for the time period and for a risque, but family-friendly show.

What could possibly be the motive to not admit to or talk about the alternative ending? It's not a secret that people think this ending exists, so why all the hush-hush?
Since I have not seen any of these alleged "denials" of the alternate ending, I can't comment on that. But again, if someone would care to post a link, I would be happy to look at them. I can think of some possibilities, but I would just be guessing. For example, if someone asked Tom Hanks about a different ending, would he even know about a scene in which he wasn't even present? I guess Penny Marshall would be the one to ask. What has she said about it?

Last edited by Killing Time; 09-08-2014 at 03:32 PM.
  #262  
Old 09-08-2014, 03:33 PM
IvoryTowerDenizen's Avatar
IvoryTowerDenizen IvoryTowerDenizen is online now
Nope! I said stop!
Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: North Shore of LI
Posts: 19,297
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killing Time View Post
Since I have not seen any of these alleged "denials" of the alternate ending, I can't comment on that. But again, if someone would care to post a link, I would be happy to look at them. I can think of some possibilities, but I would just be guessing. For example, if someone asked Tom Hanks about a different ending, would he even know about a scene in which he wasn't even present? I guess Penny Marshal would be the one to ask. What has she said about it?
I'm not talking about active denials. The rumor is all over the internet. I'm curious why no one from the production staff every came forward and settled the issue.

Again, I'm curious what would be the motivation to keep quiet? Do you think they don't know people are speculating about it?
  #263  
Old 09-08-2014, 03:35 PM
Amateur Barbarian Amateur Barbarian is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: F.O.S.O.N.E.
Posts: 19,904
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killing Time View Post
So you find it more likely that you are among a group of people suffering from mass delusion than they shot two endings and screened then in different markets? See, I find the latter more believable than the former.
We've been discussing this for years, on a board where people find answers if there are answers to find, often hilariously quickly.

There is not one shred of evidence that there was any ending to Big ever shown than the standard theatrical one. In a world where a celebrity can't fart without it ending up on YouTube or TMZ, every deleted scene including ones the director forgot about shows up somewhere and the most obscure media holding find their way to public view, not one still, clip or full-length sequence of this supposed alternate ending has ever come to light. Of all the people who supposedly saw it, some more than once, none has ever recorded it. There has been plenty of time for someone, from a videotape addict in Omaha to any of the principals of the film, to come along and say, "hey, you're wrong, here's the clip to prove it."

Hear that? *crickets*

Wishful thinking, based on sublime storytelling, coupled with a vaguely similar film ending in the supposed alternate way.

You're welcome to prove us all wrong... with something more than "I'm sure I saw it once, somewhere." You can repeat all the repeated arguments from this thread all you want, but the absolute lack of so much as a blurry still of the supposed classroom scene is pretty telling.

Last edited by Amateur Barbarian; 09-08-2014 at 03:36 PM.
  #264  
Old 09-08-2014, 03:35 PM
Killing Time Killing Time is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 276
I think we need to remember that absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.
  #265  
Old 09-08-2014, 03:37 PM
IvoryTowerDenizen's Avatar
IvoryTowerDenizen IvoryTowerDenizen is online now
Nope! I said stop!
Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: North Shore of LI
Posts: 19,297
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amateur Barbarian View Post
We've been discussing this for years, on a board where people find answers if there are answers to find, often hilariously quickly.

There is not one shred of evidence that there was any ending to Big ever shown than the standard theatrical one. In a world where a celebrity can't fart without it ending up on YouTube or TMZ, every deleted scene including ones the director forgot about shows up somewhere and the most obscure media holding find their way to public view, not one still, clip or full-length sequence of this supposed alternate ending has ever come to light. Of all the people who supposedly saw it, some more than once, none has ever recorded it. There has been plenty of time for someone, from a videotape addict in Omaha to any of the principals of the film, to come along and say, "hey, you're wrong, here's the clip to prove it."

Hear that? *crickets*

Wishful thinking, based on sublime storytelling, coupled with a vaguely similar film ending in the supposed alternate way.

You're welcome to prove us all wrong... with something more than "I'm sure I saw it once, somewhere." You can repeat all the repeated arguments from this thread all you want, but the absolute lack of so much as a blurry still of the supposed classroom scene is pretty telling.
The closest argument I've seen was that it showed up only in VHS/DVDs in New Zealand. Were that true, wouldn't there now be tons of copies floating around and clips on Youtube? What's the big secret?
  #266  
Old 09-08-2014, 03:39 PM
Doug K. Doug K. is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Location: Hutchinson, KS
Posts: 3,792
Quote:
Originally Posted by IvoryTowerDenizen View Post
I imagine the "in the butt" was not admitted to because it was crass and embarrassing for the time period and for a risque, but family-friendly show.

What could possibly be the motive to not admit to or talk about the alternative ending? It's not a secret that people think this ending exists, so why all the hush-hush?
The clip that supposedly proved the rumor true did not match the rumor - the contestant said "in the ass", not "That'd be the butt, Bob". Also the clip was from a show aired in 1978. I first heard the rumor in 1975, so it started at least 2 1/2 years before that show was taped.
  #267  
Old 09-08-2014, 03:42 PM
Killing Time Killing Time is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 276
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amateur Barbarian View Post
not one still, clip or full-length sequence of this supposed alternate ending has ever come to light.
I think you're forgetting that people did not carry cell phones with video cameras in them in 1988. If the ending were changed when it went to television, who exactly would you expect to have recorded the theater version? And even if someone did, how would you expect yourself to have seen it?

I'll just bring up the Newlywed Game again. These EXACT same arguments were made, and millions of people believed it never happened, myself included. Yet it DID happen. This is not a mystery. The fact that you can't instantly find a thing on YouTube that happened before the internet era does not prove it doesn't exist.

Last edited by Killing Time; 09-08-2014 at 03:43 PM.
  #268  
Old 09-08-2014, 03:43 PM
IvoryTowerDenizen's Avatar
IvoryTowerDenizen IvoryTowerDenizen is online now
Nope! I said stop!
Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: North Shore of LI
Posts: 19,297
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug K. View Post
The clip that supposedly proved the rumor true did not match the rumor - the contestant said "in the ass", not "That'd be the butt, Bob". Also the clip was from a show aired in 1978. I first heard the rumor in 1975, so it started at least 2 1/2 years before that show was taped.
Didn't know that. Thanks.
  #269  
Old 09-08-2014, 03:45 PM
Ellis Dee Ellis Dee is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: New England
Posts: 13,785
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killing Time View Post
I think we need to remember that absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.
We might do equally well to remember that memory is unreliable.
  #270  
Old 09-08-2014, 03:46 PM
Amateur Barbarian Amateur Barbarian is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: F.O.S.O.N.E.
Posts: 19,904
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killing Time View Post
I think you're forgetting that people did not carry cell phones with video cameras in them in 1988.
My god, you're absolutely right.

They were busy spending their money on VCRs.
  #271  
Old 09-08-2014, 03:46 PM
Killing Time Killing Time is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 276
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug K. View Post
The clip that supposedly proved the rumor true did not match the rumor - the contestant said "in the ass", not "That'd be the butt, Bob".
EXACTLY. Which proves that people remember the substance of an incident, but not necessarily the exact details. People remember Susan changing back to a young girl, even if they couldn't recite the precise details of the scene second-by-second.
Quote:
Also the clip was from a show aired in 1978. I first heard the rumor in 1975, so it started at least 2 1/2 years before that show was taped.
I doubt it. That's probably a false memory on YOUR part.
  #272  
Old 09-08-2014, 03:48 PM
Killing Time Killing Time is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 276
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amateur Barbarian View Post
My god, you're absolutely right.

They were busy spending their money on VCRs.
Wow! They had VCRs that could record a movie in a theater? That's amazing. Here I was thinking they only worked with televisions.
  #273  
Old 09-08-2014, 03:50 PM
Killing Time Killing Time is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 276
Sorry folks, but I just don't buy the "If it happened, it would be on YouTube" argument. Very weak.
  #274  
Old 09-08-2014, 03:52 PM
IvoryTowerDenizen's Avatar
IvoryTowerDenizen IvoryTowerDenizen is online now
Nope! I said stop!
Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: North Shore of LI
Posts: 19,297
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killing Time View Post
Sorry folks, but I just don't buy the "If it happened, it would be on YouTube" argument. Very weak.
One of the main arguments for the alternative ending is that it was included in NZ and UK copies of the DVDs and VHS tapes. I'm utterly surprised that no one has uploaded this critical piece of evidence.

Also, I'm still curious what you think the motive is to keep it all a secret.
  #275  
Old 09-08-2014, 03:54 PM
pulykamell pulykamell is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: SW Side, Chicago
Posts: 45,871
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killing Time View Post
I think you're forgetting that people did not carry cell phones with video cameras in them in 1988. If the ending were changed when it went to television, who exactly would you expect to have recorded the theater version? And even if someone did, how would you expect yourself to have seen it?

I'll just bring up the Newlywed Game again. These EXACT same arguments were made, and millions of people believed it never happened, myself included. Yet it DID happen. This is not a mystery. The fact that you can't instantly find a thing on YouTube that happened before the internet era does not prove it doesn't exist.
Sure. While I can't say with certainty no alernate ending exists or has been shot, and I do remember the supposed ending people are talking about, conflated memories seems to be the most reasonable theory by far at this point. It's not just that people say they saw it in the theaters in this format, but there are equally vocal claims that it's on a DVD/VHS release in New Zealand, that it's commonly shown in Venezuela, that it's been recently shown on TV in the UK, and, yet, crickets. Unless a video does come out showing this alternate ending, this thread will never have closure, with people who swear they have seen this ending and it having been "Big" will just say that the skeptics are wrong. It is certainly possible. I personally find it more probable folks, including myself, are conflating memories.
  #276  
Old 09-08-2014, 03:55 PM
Loach's Avatar
Loach Loach is offline
The Central Scrutinizer
Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Pork Roll/Taylor Ham
Posts: 24,649
Quote:
Originally Posted by buddha_david View Post
You may have better luck trying to contact the lesser-known actors & crew. David Moscow, for example, who played the kid. He even has a Facebook page.

Heck, even Elizabeth Perkins' career has been fairly idle recently, ever since Weeds was cancelled.
That would be a good idea. But looking for David Moscow on Facebook shows three pages, none of which are run by him. Do you have other information?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shijinn View Post
This is my favourite zombie.
By far.
  #277  
Old 09-08-2014, 03:56 PM
pulykamell pulykamell is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: SW Side, Chicago
Posts: 45,871
I admit, though, that it is a curious topic and wish somehow one way or the other it could be conclusively resolved.
  #278  
Old 09-08-2014, 03:57 PM
Doug K. Doug K. is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Location: Hutchinson, KS
Posts: 3,792
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killing Time View Post
EXACTLY. Which proves that people remember the substance of an incident, but not necessarily the exact details. People remember Susan changing back to a young girl, even if they couldn't recite the precise details of the scene second-by-second.

I doubt it. That's probably a false memory on YOUR part.
I graduated in 1978. The rumor was discussed to death all three years of high school.
  #279  
Old 09-08-2014, 04:01 PM
pulykamell pulykamell is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: SW Side, Chicago
Posts: 45,871
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loach View Post
That would be a good idea. But looking for David Moscow on Facebook shows three pages, none of which are run by him. Do you have other information?
Let's say somebody does contact him and he denies the existence of such an ending. Would that be closure or would, as I guess is more likely, folks on the alternate ending side of things say he's under some sort of NDA or something? Or perhaps point to the Eubanks example of the horse's mouth denying the existence of the "in the ass/up the butt, Bob" story when, in fact, a video of a moment similar enough to be clearly referring to the same event did eventually surface?
  #280  
Old 09-08-2014, 04:03 PM
IvoryTowerDenizen's Avatar
IvoryTowerDenizen IvoryTowerDenizen is online now
Nope! I said stop!
Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: North Shore of LI
Posts: 19,297
Quote:
Originally Posted by pulykamell View Post
I admit, though, that it is a curious topic and wish somehow one way or the other it could be conclusively resolved.
Unfortunately, as long as people pull the "absence of evidence is not evidence" card, the only way to resolve it is in the affirmative. There will never be enough negative evidence, especially since even a denial that the ending was ever made would be suspect.
  #281  
Old 09-08-2014, 04:12 PM
Loach's Avatar
Loach Loach is offline
The Central Scrutinizer
Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Pork Roll/Taylor Ham
Posts: 24,649
Quote:
Originally Posted by pulykamell View Post
Let's say somebody does contact him and he denies the existence of such an ending. Would that be closure or would, as I guess is more likely, folks on the alternate ending side of things say he's under some sort of NDA or something? Or perhaps point to the Eubanks example of the horse's mouth denying the existence of the "in the ass/up the butt, Bob" story when, in fact, a video of a moment similar enough to be clearly referring to the same event did eventually surface?
Of course there will still be Truthers. If Jesse Ventura gets another show he can do a story about it. But I still can't understand why they would put out a DVD special edition with every scrap of footage they could find but not the supposed alternate ending that was good enough for Hobbiton New Zealand but is apparently too dangerous for the rest of the world. Why would they leave it out?
  #282  
Old 09-08-2014, 04:17 PM
Czarcasm's Avatar
Czarcasm Czarcasm is offline
Charter Member
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 58,837
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loach View Post
Of course there will still be Truthers. If Jesse Ventura gets another show he can do a story about it. But I still can't understand why they would put out a DVD special edition with every scrap of footage they could find but not the supposed alternate ending that was good enough for Hobbiton New Zealand but is apparently too dangerous for the rest of the world. Why would they leave it out?
It was destroyed along with the Eye of Sauron.
  #283  
Old 09-08-2014, 04:18 PM
nate nate is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 807
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban Plankton View Post
Obviously, this topic is proof that the Multiverse theory is correct. Somewhere out there is an alternate universe where Big and 14 Going on 30 are in fact the same movie...and somehow some people have been accidentally transported here from their 'home dimension'.

I can only imagine the horror being experienced by their counterparts who were swept from their homes here in our dimension, and are now cursed to spending the rest of their lives wondering where Tom Hanks got that Van Dyke beard.
Ahh... so it's just like the Berenstain/Berenstein Bears alternate history theory?

Last edited by nate; 09-08-2014 at 04:22 PM.
  #284  
Old 09-08-2014, 04:50 PM
Sterling Archer Sterling Archer is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 1,058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Accidental Martyr View Post
Describe the scene you believe you saw.
OK, but this is going from a very old memory. First, the students all look 11 or 12, much younger than the students in "14 going on 30". The teacher (who is not Alan Thicke, I think she's female) introduces a new student to the class. Josh looks up and it is a young girl with dark curly brown, shoulder-length hair. He watches her come and sit down at a desk near the front with a quizzical look on his face and then she looks back over her shoulder at him and kinda raises her eyebrows and gives him a little grin. Then blackout and credits. There is no dialogue between the two, unlike "14 going on 30".

That's my memory of the scene, anyway.
  #285  
Old 09-08-2014, 04:58 PM
Amateur Barbarian Amateur Barbarian is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: F.O.S.O.N.E.
Posts: 19,904
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killing Time View Post
Wow! They had VCRs that could record a movie in a theater? That's amazing. Here I was thinking they only worked with televisions.
Which is gosh-darn convenient, as quite a few supporters swear they saw it on TV.

(Pssst... we also had camcorders. I watched at least one pirated movie recorded that way around 1992.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killing Time View Post
Sorry folks, but I just don't buy the "If it happened, it would be on YouTube" argument. Very weak.
That's not the argument. The argument, which is extremely long-lived and widespread, is whether or not this alternate ending exists and was ever shown, much less shown so widely across time and media that thousands of people could claim they saw it... but that not once in the history of the internet has a person who might have a record of that alternate ending - even a publicity or set still, or a script page - crossed with the discussion and posted the evidence. The only reliance on YouTube I'm supposing is that it's extremely easy to put a video clip there... if it exists.

The vast, echoing silence, at least a decade long and punctuated only by crickets, despite several ongoing public debates, is becoming pretty damned conclusive.

Which does not reduce my disappointment that H'wood luminaries no longer seem to answer their mail.

Last edited by Amateur Barbarian; 09-08-2014 at 05:02 PM.
  #286  
Old 09-08-2014, 05:13 PM
Loach's Avatar
Loach Loach is offline
The Central Scrutinizer
Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Pork Roll/Taylor Ham
Posts: 24,649
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amateur Barbarian View Post
Which does not reduce my disappointment that H'wood luminaries no longer seem to answer their mail.
Have you tried Twitter?
  #287  
Old 09-08-2014, 05:24 PM
Telemark's Avatar
Telemark Telemark is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Again, Titletown
Posts: 21,827
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amateur Barbarian View Post
The vast, echoing silence, at least a decade long and punctuated only by crickets, despite several ongoing public debates, is becoming pretty damned conclusive.
Alternative endings are often written, filmed, and sometimes even released in theatrical form, so in principle this alternative ending could exist.

But there is always some record of them - either snippets of film are preserved, screening copies are issued, there are stills from the set, actors or crew wrote up their accounts, reviews that mention alternative endings, scripts, dialog, etc. We have accounts by some cast that have said that they were not involved in or have ever heard about alternative endings. We have detailed accounts of differences in released versions, none of which mention any alternative ending.

In this case there is no evidence of any alternative scene except for contrary memories by viewers clouded by the veil of time and an extremely similar scene from a competing contemporary movie.
  #288  
Old 09-08-2014, 05:53 PM
Amateur Barbarian Amateur Barbarian is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: F.O.S.O.N.E.
Posts: 19,904
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loach View Post
Have you tried Twitter?
Short answer, yes - my queries on FB and Twitter were ignored, so I wrote old-school formal letters back in February.

I have an industry insider chum who might have one of the principals on his speed-dial. That's my next stop. (I try to be sparing in asking favors of him.)
  #289  
Old 09-08-2014, 06:02 PM
Killing Time Killing Time is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 276
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug K. View Post
I graduated in 1978. The rumor was discussed to death all three years of high school.
So what you're saying is that all of us who have a distinct memory from the late 1980s of the other ending to "Big" are wrong, based on your "distinct" memory from the late 1970s.

You do see the flaw in your logic, don't you?
  #290  
Old 09-08-2014, 06:06 PM
Killing Time Killing Time is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 276
Quote:
Originally Posted by Telemark View Post
. We have accounts by some cast that have said that they were not involved in or have ever heard about alternative endings.
Again, I am asking for a cite on this. If people continue to say this without any verification, I will be forced to disregard it.
  #291  
Old 09-08-2014, 06:17 PM
pulykamell pulykamell is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: SW Side, Chicago
Posts: 45,871
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killing Time View Post
Again, I am asking for a cite on this. If people continue to say this without any verification, I will be forced to disregard it.
Post #103 is what is being referred to here, I think.

ETA: Sorry, link for convenience.

Last edited by pulykamell; 09-08-2014 at 06:18 PM.
  #292  
Old 09-08-2014, 06:20 PM
Suburban Plankton's Avatar
Suburban Plankton Suburban Plankton is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 7,974
Quote:
Originally Posted by pulykamell View Post
I admit, though, that it is a curious topic and wish somehow one way or the other it could be conclusively resolved.
Don't worry, we'll get to it eventually. Just as soon as we've conclusively resolved what brought down the World Trade Center, who killed Kennedy, and whether or not we've landed men on the Moon.
  #293  
Old 09-08-2014, 06:20 PM
Killing Time Killing Time is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 276
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amateur Barbarian View Post
That's not the argument. The argument, which is extremely long-lived and widespread, is whether or not this alternate ending exists and was ever shown, much less shown so widely across time and media that thousands of people could claim they saw it... but that not once in the history of the internet has a person who might have a record of that alternate ending - even a publicity or set still, or a script page - crossed with the discussion and posted the evidence.
That's a long winded way of saying, "absence of evidence is evidence of absence". That is false.

Also, publicity photos do not spoil the ending of a movie. Why have we never in the history of the universe, ever found a Star Wars promotional poster that says, "Darth Vader is Luke's Father". Because nobody would DO that. So we can strike your "publicity or set still" argument right off the bat.

Script page? Do you have an original script of "Big", written before it was filmed? I doubt it. So why bring it up? Are you saying that someone would have posted that on the internet? Why do you assume that? That makes no sense.

And you're assuming that anyone CARED enough to actually find this evidence and post it for the world to see. Why? It's just a bit of trivia. It's not the JFK assassination.

Quote:
The only reliance on YouTube I'm supposing is that it's extremely easy to put a video clip there... if it exists.
If a copied clip of that scene exists, which I don't see why it would, it would be in a format that's not used anymore. So no, not extremely easy at all.
Quote:

The vast, echoing silence, at least a decade long and punctuated only by crickets, despite several ongoing public debates, is becoming pretty damned conclusive.
"Ongoing public debates"? You mean some nerds arguing about it on message boards? I'll say it one more time: Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

Find me an interview with Penny Marshall swearing no such ending was ever conceived or filmed, and I might be convinced.
  #294  
Old 09-08-2014, 06:31 PM
Killing Time Killing Time is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 276
Quote:
Originally Posted by pulykamell View Post
Post #103 is what is being referred to here, I think.

ETA: Sorry, link for convenience.
Thanks for that. All I can say is, "That's it?" THAT'S what people are referring to when they say multiple cast members have denied the existence of the other ending? How would she know that scene wasn't filmed? They don't necessarily shoot scenes in the order they're going to appear in the movie. I would assume all the scenes with the child actors would be shot at one time, and the scenes with the adult actors would be shot at a DIFFERENT time. Why would Tom Hanks and Elizabeth Perkins be on set for scenes that they aren't even IN? I would believe that she might know about a scene that was filmed, but to definitively state that she knows a particular scene was NOT filmed doesn't make any sense, since there wouldn't be any reason for her to be there at the time.

Sorry, not convinced.
  #295  
Old 09-08-2014, 06:35 PM
Loach's Avatar
Loach Loach is offline
The Central Scrutinizer
Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Pork Roll/Taylor Ham
Posts: 24,649
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killing Time View Post
And you're assuming that anyone CARED enough to actually find this evidence and post it for the world to see. Why? It's just a bit of trivia. It's not the JFK assassination.
We know people cared. Those in charge of the movie and all of the footage. They cared enough to release an extended edition with all the deleted footage. About 30 minutes of footage that did not make the theatrical release. But the ending was the same. Do you know what would have made the extended edition more interesting and therefore more lucrative? A long rumored alternate ending. But instead they showed all the filler that was edited out of the movie. Nothing bad, just fat that could be and was trimmed. So why would they leave out the most important deleted scene?
  #296  
Old 09-08-2014, 06:39 PM
Killing Time Killing Time is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 276
Quote:
Originally Posted by Telemark View Post
We have detailed accounts of differences in released versions, none of which mention any alternative ending.
But that person is comparing two releases that most likely both have the same ending. That doesn't prove the other ending doesn't exist.

I could compare two Star Wars releases where the spirit face of young Darth Vader was replaced by the face of Hayden Christensen, but that doesn't prove there was never a version with a different actor's face.
  #297  
Old 09-08-2014, 07:47 PM
Telemark's Avatar
Telemark Telemark is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Again, Titletown
Posts: 21,827
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killing Time View Post
But that person is comparing two releases that most likely both have the same ending. That doesn't prove the other ending doesn't exist.
Bring us any evidence besides your memories. We have lots of reasons to believe that no such ending was ever filmed, let alone released. So far you've presented bubkis for the other side.
  #298  
Old 09-08-2014, 09:25 PM
Czarcasm's Avatar
Czarcasm Czarcasm is offline
Charter Member
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 58,837
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killing Time View Post
Find me an interview with Penny Marshall swearing no such ending was ever conceived or filmed, and I might be convinced.
Might convince you? Screw that-I want this over and done with.
What definitely would convince you?
  #299  
Old 09-08-2014, 10:04 PM
zbuzz zbuzz is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Posts: 1,075
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killing Time View Post
Find me an interview with Penny Marshall swearing no such ending was ever conceived or filmed, and I might be convinced.
Even the director's word might not be enough to convince you?

Let me ask you something- was Kevin Bacon in Footloose?

Last edited by zbuzz; 09-08-2014 at 10:07 PM. Reason: i edited in a different ending that no one ever saw
  #300  
Old 09-08-2014, 10:10 PM
Killing Time Killing Time is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 276
Quote:
Originally Posted by IvoryTowerDenizen View Post
One of the main arguments for the alternative ending is that it was included in NZ and UK copies of the DVDs and VHS tapes.
I'm not seeing that. There was a website that mentioned that, but many of the people here are remembering it from the U.S., myself included. Maybe it was included in those countries, but I don't think they are the only places it was ever shown.
Quote:
I'm utterly surprised that no one has uploaded this critical piece of evidence.
Why? I search for things on the internet all the time - things I know exist, but that haven't been put on the internet. Do you think that every movie and TV show clip that has ever existed is on YouTube? They're not all there, you know.

Again, this is just a repeat of the "absence of evidence" argument, which I don't find convincing. How many times do I have to say this? This EXACT same argument was made with regard to the Newlywed Game, and turned out to be wrong. After I've proven a given argument is illogical, I don't understand how you can continue to make the same argument.

Quote:
Also, I'm still curious what you think the motive is to keep it all a secret.

I don't think anyone's keeping it a secret. I think the movie was made 26 years ago, and they most likely cut the ending out shortly after it was released, therefore you probably never saw the ending in question. Lots of people who were around at the time DO remember it, so how is that a "secret"?

Last edited by Killing Time; 09-08-2014 at 10:12 PM.
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:21 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright 2018 STM Reader, LLC.

 
Copyright © 2017