Old 06-27-2017, 08:07 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airk View Post
Nation made me cry.

In the good way, I guess.
I'm half-way and enjoying it. If he had wanted, this could have been set in Discworld and been a Discworld book. It's got his humor and understanding of human nature in it.

I like it.
Old 06-27-2017, 09:10 PM
Charter Member

That's the thing with Discworld: It's a big enough world that he could have set nearly any story he wanted in it. And given how successful the Disc has been, it had to have taken some guts to choose not to set it there, because putting "The next Discworld book!" on the cover would have guaranteed sales.
Old 06-27-2017, 09:30 PM
Isaiah 1:15/Screw the NRA
Charter Member

Meh. Bought Nation the second it came out, read it, and have never even looked at it again. Couldn't tell you a bloody thing about it, whereas I can quote large sections of Unseen Academicals and I fooking HATE that book.
Old 07-09-2017, 04:19 PM
Charter Member

Finished Nation a few days ago and really liked it. I know it isn't Discworld, but he did a great job. It reads like a Discworld novel set on earth in the 1800's, really. You could easily take it and re-write it as a Discworld book. Nothing happens in it that would contradict or be out of place in one.

It's a nice book and I found the ending great, but it did not move me as much as I was expecting.

Reading Soul Music now.
Old 07-17-2017, 12:29 PM
Charter Member

Soul Music

This was an excellent book and my favorite Death novel so far(I've read Mort, Reaper Man, and this one).

The Susan storyline was great. I think she's one of my favorite characters and storylines he's developed up to where I have read. I love Carrot in the City Watch books a little more, but I really liked Susan and how she affected Death.

The music jokes were a little obvious and not all that original, but the music storyline was also very good.

I really recommend this one. 3 1/2 stars from me.

Last edited by Mahaloth; 07-17-2017 at 12:29 PM.
Old 07-17-2017, 01:39 PM
Charter Member

Obvious or not, I thought the music jokes were hilarious. Soul Music is definitely in my Top 5 Pratchett.

"Born To Rune."
Old 07-17-2017, 03:46 PM
Charter Member

Personally, I thought Soul Music was a little weak, because it felt to me like just a combination of Mort and Moving Pictures.

It's also before when Pratchett matured past the use of the Magic Reset Button. I liked the later novels much better, where changes were allowed to stay changed.
Old 07-17-2017, 11:12 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by silenus View Post
Obvious or not, I thought the music jokes were hilarious. Soul Music is definitely in my Top 5 Pratchett.

"Born To Rune."
I'm just not big enough a music fan to enjoy the jokes, though I do think I got most of them.

Oh, the book contained one of my favorite little anecdotes, contained in a footnote.

Quote:
Rats had featured largely in the history of Ankh-Morpork. Shortly before the Patrician came to power there was a terrible plague of rats. The city council countered it by offering twenty pence for every rat tail. This did, for a week or two, reduce the number of rats— and then people were suddenly queing up with tails, the city treasury was being drained, and no one seemed to be doing much work. And there still seemed to be a lot of rats around. Lord Vetinari had listened carefully while the problem was explained, and had solved the thing with one memorable phrase which said a lot about him, about the folly of bounty offers, and about the natural instinct of Ankh-Morporkians in any situation involving money: “Tax the rat farms".
I think that captures a lot about human nature and is also an example of what makes Lord Vetinari a sharp and effective leader.

Last edited by Mahaloth; 07-17-2017 at 11:12 PM.
Old 07-18-2017, 08:50 AM
Charter Member

Of course, this is the same man who officially recognized the Guilds of Assassins and of Thieves, because if you're going to have crime, it ought at least be organized.
Old 08-31-2017, 05:37 PM
Charter Member

I was reading Pyramids, but I had to stop because I decided to try out a book to be a read-aloud for my 6th graders(I am an English teacher).

I switched to The Wee Free Men.

I was going to save the Tiffany Aching books for later because I heard a spoiler exists in them, but I have to read it before I teach it or use it in anyway in class. Anyway, reading it now. Good beginning, but it's slowed a bit in chapters 4 and 5(wow, chapters in a discworld book!).
Old 08-31-2017, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahaloth View Post
I was going to save the Tiffany Aching books for later because I heard a spoiler exists in them
The big spoiler is in the last Tiffany Aching book, which is also the last Discworld book--The Shepard's Crown.
Old 08-31-2017, 06:44 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren Garrison View Post
The big spoiler is in the last Tiffany Aching book, which is also the last Discworld book--The Shepard's Crown.
excellent. I'll be good then.
Old 08-31-2017, 11:06 PM
Charter Member

Yeah, I can't think of any significant spoilers other than that big one. There's references (especially to the other Witch books), but nothing really spoily. And in the first Tiffany book, even the references don't show up until the very end, and basically just consist of Granny Weatherwax showing up to say hello.
Old 10-04-2017, 06:46 PM
Charter Member

Update from me:

The Wee Free Men was pretty good. Not amazing, not my favorite, but pretty good.

I am now reading Good Omens(show coming next year). I have to say, the opening 1/3 was excellent and I could hear Terry Pratchett's voice clear as a bell. I feel the middle 1/3 has dropped in quality a ton. It feels like a total shift in voice. I know they worked on all of it, but it feels like Neil Gaiman took over there.

Nice book, though. I'm disappointed in the shift away from the angel and demon characters, though.
Old 10-04-2017, 07:10 PM
Charter Member

Don't be. They really are secondary characters.
Old 10-04-2017, 07:42 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Don't be. They really are secondary characters.
Don't be...what?
Old 10-04-2017, 10:14 PM
Charter Member

I think he means "don't be disappointed in the focus shift".

And I saw an interview or something with Pratchett and/or Gaiman where they said that everyone recognizes the portions each of them wrote, and everyone gets it wrong, because the parts that sound like Pratchett were actually Gaiman and vice-versa.
Old 10-05-2017, 09:54 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronos View Post

And I saw an interview or something with Pratchett and/or Gaiman where they said that everyone recognizes the portions each of them wrote, and everyone gets it wrong, because the parts that sound like Pratchett were actually Gaiman and vice-versa.
If Gaiman wrote the first 1/3, he did a great job sounding like Pratchett. The wry comments, little life observations, the little asides. Everything sounded like him.
Old 11-21-2017, 02:50 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Soul Music

This was an excellent book and my favorite Death novel so far(I've read Mort, Reaper Man, and this one).
Note: I would now rank Reaper Man higher than Soul Music, though I did enjoy Susan's storyline in Soul Music a lot.
Old 11-21-2017, 02:55 PM
Charter Member

I can accept any order for those two. Reaper Man is the deeper story, whilst Soul Music is a lot more fun. I'm a sucker for bad puns, so Soul Music generally gets my nod.
Old 11-21-2017, 02:59 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I can accept any order for those two. Reaper Man is the deeper story, whilst Soul Music is a lot more fun. I'm a sucker for bad puns, so Soul Music generally gets my nod.
I got many of the music jokes in it, but did not get them all. Some pushed the "groan level" too far, even for a pun love like me.
Old 11-21-2017, 03:35 PM
Charter Member

Personally, I found Soul Music to be a rehash and mash-up of Mort and Moving Pictures. DEATH takes a holiday and lets a mortal take over his duties, and a bit of our world's pop culture leaks into the Disk and causes trouble before eventually leaking back. Soul Music does introduce Susan, and deserves some credit for that, but Moving Pictures ended up introducing or developing a lot of recurring characters, too, like Detritus and Gaspode.

Last edited by Chronos; 11-21-2017 at 03:36 PM.
Old 11-21-2017, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger Jeff View Post
Ook!
Really?
Old 12-30-2017, 10:40 PM
Charter Member

Feet of Clay

Not done yet, but in the final 20% or so and I do find that the City Watch books are my favorites. I love Feet of Clay and might just jump into the next Watch book right after this.
Old 05-29-2018, 07:46 PM
Charter Member

Jingo

I can't help myself. I just love the City Watch books. Clearly the best series in the Discworld for me. Even if the story is only OK, which it was in Jingo, the characters are so much fun, I love just spending time with them. Perhaps the weakest of the City Watch books so far, but I still loved it.

I'm reading A Hat Full of Sky now. My second Tiffany Aching book.
Old 05-29-2018, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Jingo

I can't help myself. I just love the City Watch books. Clearly the best series in the Discworld for me. Even if the story is only OK, which it was in Jingo, the characters are so much fun, I love just spending time with them. Perhaps the weakest of the City Watch books so far, but I still loved it.
Agreed! The Watch books are my favorites, they're my go to when I need a good laugh. Though I admit it's a tight lead with Tiffany, I wish he could have written more of her stories.
Old 05-29-2018, 08:13 PM
Charter Member

Keep on with The Watch books, and soon you will get to Night Watch, wherein Pterry commits Literature.
Old 05-30-2018, 08:32 AM

Starting last summer I've been rereading here and there Discworld books. Starting with my favorites (like Going Postal) and working my way down. (But staying away from the Witches books and the early and late ones.)

Noticing some things. E.g., yeah Making Money is a major step down from Going Postal. Plus there's way too much plot overlap involving the bad guy with The Truth.

I really don't like the overuse of the single, old guy clearly has an edge over the large group of men trope. Went to that well way too many times.

Currently rereading Hogfather. Jeez, the timeline is ridiculously twisted up. Isn't Albert losing sand while he's helping DEATH in the store???
Old 05-30-2018, 08:56 AM

Trailer for a new Discworld movie: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJIaTBB72CM

Don't know if it's official or just a fan project, but it looks good.
Old 05-30-2018, 09:59 AM

I've been rereading many of the Discworld books in the last few months, starting with some of the "new stuff in Ankh-Morpork" books or whatever you want to call them (The Truth, Going Postal, Making Money) then to some of the city watch books (Men at Arms, Feet of Clay, Jingo, The Fifth Elephant, Thud!, Snuff) then the witch books (Witches Abroad, Lords and Ladies, Maskerade, Carpe Jugulum) and now have started on the Tiffiny Aching books.

Last edited by Darren Garrison; 05-30-2018 at 10:00 AM.
Old 05-30-2018, 07:34 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Ecks View Post
Trailer for a new Discworld movie: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJIaTBB72CM

Don't know if it's official or just a fan project, but it looks good.
Looks good, but a fan project for sure I think??
Old 05-31-2018, 01:46 AM

I think the Tiffany Aching stories should be read in the order written / published. And I suggest a new reader be familiar with Granny Weatherwax and Nanny Ogg before they read any TA stories.

When I began DW, I asked for recommendations to start with and Mort was one of the suggestions. But it wasn't available at the local Books A Million so I got Reaper Man. Turns out I liked it better than Mort. My first introduction to DEATH was in Color of Magic and / or Light Fantastic and in those HE was mostly frightening Rincewind. HE became a lot nicer in RM. Sir Terry was just getting to know DEATH in COM and LF too.

I think Witches Abroad is the best starter for the Witch stories because of this one line
SPOILER:
Finally a tall, pointy-hatted figure said, `You mean everyone brought potato salad?

Guards! Guards! is the best to start on the Watch series. They are better if you read them in publishing order.
Old 05-31-2018, 04:35 AM

When asked, I insist the books should all be read in publication order. I'm convinced the tonal shifts people think they see come from hopping from one end of Pterry's evolution as a writer to earlier points. Read them as a continuum, and you grow with him.

Also, Rincewind is way, way underrated as a character by most people. I'm not saying that to be a Discworld hipster, I really think some people just don't really get what he was about, especially in the earlier books.
Old 05-31-2018, 06:33 AM
Charter Member

I've been bouncing between series, but reading the series in the order they were published.

I've had no issues doing it this way.
Old 05-31-2018, 07:18 AM

That's OK, as long as you recognize the Tiffany Aching books are a subset of the Witches ones.
Old 06-04-2018, 09:44 PM
Charter Member

A Hat Full of Sky

An improvement over the original book by quite a bit. Very impressed. I found Miss Level to be a great character and Tiffany's experience with the Hiver to be really neat. I like that Tiffany is getting older and that all others recognize how smart she is. I get the sense she is the next great witch.

Next up is Faust(Eric).
Old 06-04-2018, 09:51 PM

Quote:
A Hat Full of Sky

An improvement over the original book by quite a bit. Very impressed. I found Miss Level to be a great character and Tiffany's experience with the Hiver to be really neat. I like that Tiffany is getting older and that all others recognize how smart she is. I get the sense she is the next great witch.

Next up is Faust(Eric).
Wait until you read "I Shall Wear Midnight"....
Old 06-04-2018, 09:55 PM
Charter Member

Here is my progress.
Old 06-05-2018, 04:01 AM

Quote:
Next up is Faust(Eric).
Prepare for disappointment IMO. Less so if you're reading the fully illustrated version, but even then, I'm not the hugest Kirby fan...

And you're aware your reading guide is missing a lot of later books, right? At least, I don't see Snuff and Raising Steam.

Last edited by MrDibble; 06-05-2018 at 04:06 AM.
Old 06-05-2018, 09:08 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDibble View Post
Prepare for disappointment IMO. Less so if you're reading the fully illustrated version, but even then, I'm not the hugest Kirby fan...

And you're aware your reading guide is missing a lot of later books, right? At least, I don't see Snuff and Raising Steam.
I've heard negative reviews of Eric, but I want to read every book in order. I count it as a Rincewind book.

I know the guide is missing later books. Has there never been a 3.0 update that is complete?
Old 06-05-2018, 09:31 AM
Charter Member

Not that I am aware of. L-Space hasn't been updated in at least a decade.

Eric is second-rate, but it does set up Rincewind for Interesting Times, which is much better.

Last edited by silenus; 06-05-2018 at 09:31 AM.
Old 06-05-2018, 04:36 PM
Charter Member

Eh, I read them all in publication order, too, and I still see some big stylistic jumps.
Old 06-05-2018, 05:33 PM

Quote:

Mind you, as fully illustrated Pratchett books go, Paul Kidby's work on The Last Hero is a pretty high bar. Also Sean Connery should have come out of retirement one last time to play Cohen the Barbarian.
Old 06-05-2018, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Am I the only one on Roundworld who liked Eric?
(It was the second DW book I read, and the one that convinced me to keep going back for more).
Old 06-05-2018, 06:01 PM
Charter Member

I can recommend the graphic novelisation of Small Gods. I got it for my niece who is dyslexic but a parental veto was applied so I enjoyed it myself.
Old 06-05-2018, 06:03 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malleus, Incus, Stapes! View Post
Am I the only one on Roundworld who liked Eric?
(It was the second DW book I read, and the one that convinced me to keep going back for more).
Eric isn't as bad as some would make out. It isn't first tier Pratchett, but it also isn't irredeemable dreck like Unseen Academicals.
Old 06-05-2018, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Eric isn't as bad as some would make out. It isn't first tier Pratchett, but it also isn't irredeemable dreck like Unseen Academicals.
I'm one of the few people who liked Unseen Academicals.
Old 06-06-2018, 02:25 AM

I love Unseen Academicals. But then, I grew up in a soccer-mad community...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penfeather View Post
Mind you, as fully illustrated Pratchett books go, Paul Kidby's work on The Last Hero is a pretty high bar.
Agreed!
Quote:
Also Sean Connery should have come out of retirement one last time to play Cohen the Barbarian.
Yuck! Let's agree to disagree, there.
Old 06-06-2018, 03:20 AM

Quote:
I love Unseen Academicals. But then, I grew up in a soccer-mad community...

Agreed!
Yuck! Let's agree to disagree, there.
My Dad's from Liverpool and used to watch the English football on a Saturday morning when I was a kid growing up, and that stuff gets ingrained.
Old 06-13-2018, 07:58 PM
Charter Member

Faust - Eric

I thought it was OK and it helps tie between the end of Sourcery and the beginning of Interesting Times, which will obviously be my next Rincewind book. I didn't laugh out loud much. I keep believing Rincewind books will improve. I like the idea, I like the university, but his books have not been huge hits with me.