Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 03-02-2017, 01:18 PM
WOOKINPANUB's Avatar
WOOKINPANUB WOOKINPANUB is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: St Petersburg, Floriduhhh
Posts: 6,688
Food myths

The most pervasive I can think of is that oysters make one amorous. I have no idea if it's true but it's been purported for a long time. What others have you heard of? Most everyone knows that green M & Ms make you horny and, IIRC the red ones can kill you. A couple more I remember:

Dr. Pepper is made from prune juice
Maraschino cherries are made of balogna (no word what the balogna was made of)
Pop rocks, if eaten with soda pop will explode in your mouth
  #2  
Old 03-02-2017, 01:31 PM
Azeotrope Azeotrope is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,980
If you swallow watermelon seeds, a watermelon plant will grow in your stomach.

You must wait 60 minutes and not a nanosecond less after eating before swimming, or else you will sink like a rock and drown.
  #3  
Old 03-02-2017, 01:33 PM
WOOKINPANUB's Avatar
WOOKINPANUB WOOKINPANUB is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: St Petersburg, Floriduhhh
Posts: 6,688
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azeotrope View Post
If you swallow watermelon seeds, a watermelon plant will grow in your stomach.

You must wait 60 minutes and not a nanosecond less after eating before swimming, or else you will sink like a rock and drown.
I always heard you would get a cramp. Either way, you're dead.
  #4  
Old 03-02-2017, 01:36 PM
jz78817 jz78817 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Under Oveur & over Unger
Posts: 11,758
I haven't heard it in a long time, but there were some in my grandparents' generation who believed swallowing chewing gum would lead to appendicitis.
  #5  
Old 03-02-2017, 01:42 PM
Azeotrope Azeotrope is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,980
I remember the first time my cousins and I went in the pool after only (gasp!) 59 minutes. We felt like such rebels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jz78817 View Post
I haven't heard it in a long time, but there were some in my grandparents' generation who believed swallowing chewing gum would lead to appendicitis.
The version I always heard was that it would stay in your stomach for 7 years.

Oh, and if you hold a buttercup under your chin and it makes a little yellow spot, it means you like butter.
  #6  
Old 03-02-2017, 01:42 PM
Elemenopy Elemenopy is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Indiana
Posts: 1,199
I don't know how many people have told me that swallowing chewing gum will make it permanently lodge in one's intestines, because it's "indigestible." (Ninja'd because I walked away from my post! I guess this is a big one.)

Eating raw dough will give you worms. Ok, it may not be the smartest thing to eat, but I'm pretty sure worms aren't a big risk factor.

The "rules" have changed over and over about introducing certain foods into a baby's diet, sometimes due to allergen concerns. But people tend to insist you do what their doctor/baby manual said back in 1979. An example: my mother was forever trying to get me to put rice cereal in formula bottles for mine so they would "sleep better." (My kids wouldn't even take a bottle, but that was a separate issue...)

Last edited by Elemenopy; 03-02-2017 at 01:43 PM.
  #7  
Old 03-02-2017, 01:43 PM
DCnDC's Avatar
DCnDC DCnDC is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: The Dueling Grounds
Posts: 11,446
Swallowed chewing gum takes 7 years to digest.

Special foods (like juice) "cleanse" the body of "toxins."
  #8  
Old 03-02-2017, 01:43 PM
sitchensis sitchensis is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: revillagigedo
Posts: 2,636
Quote:
Originally Posted by jz78817 View Post
I haven't heard it in a long time, but there were some in my grandparents' generation who believed swallowing chewing gum would lead to appendicitis.
Gum would stay in you stomach forever because you can't break it down.
  #9  
Old 03-02-2017, 01:46 PM
jz78817 jz78817 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Under Oveur & over Unger
Posts: 11,758
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azeotrope View Post

The version I always heard was that it would stay in your stomach for 7 years.
I heard that one too.
  #10  
Old 03-02-2017, 01:48 PM
muldoonthief's Avatar
muldoonthief muldoonthief is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: North of Boston
Posts: 10,569
Quote:
Originally Posted by WOOKINPANUB View Post
Pop rocks, if eaten with soda pop will explode in your mouth
They explode in your stomach and kill you, which is what happened to Mikey from the Life cereal commercials.
  #11  
Old 03-02-2017, 01:49 PM
burpo the wonder mutt's Avatar
burpo the wonder mutt burpo the wonder mutt is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: NE Florida
Posts: 22,748
How did Mikey get Pop Rocks in Vietnam?
  #12  
Old 03-02-2017, 01:52 PM
Dallas Jones Dallas Jones is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Orygun forest
Posts: 4,723
My first mother-in-law (hey, I have a collection) used to say that "pepper never leaves your system." I was putting some black pepper on a baked potato or something. I just smiled and said I must be 10% pepper by now.

Although she is the only person I ever heard this comment from I can see that she wasn't the only one.

http://www.worldshealthiestfoods.net...tname=dailytip
  #13  
Old 03-02-2017, 01:57 PM
Elemenopy Elemenopy is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Indiana
Posts: 1,199
Ooh, just remembered another gem from Mom (a nurse, BTW). Milk is a solid, not a liquid, so you have to drink a lot of other fluids so you don't get dehydrated. Maybe that was just her, though. I tried to explain the concept of milk solids in suspension/emulsion in water, but I might as well have been explaining how space shuttles launch.
  #14  
Old 03-02-2017, 01:58 PM
sitchensis sitchensis is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: revillagigedo
Posts: 2,636
Quote:
Originally Posted by jz78817 View Post
I heard that one too.
Maybe I got it confused with the 50 lbs of fatty plaque coating everyone's intestines.
  #15  
Old 03-02-2017, 01:58 PM
edwards_beard edwards_beard is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 951
Eating asparagus enhances one's sense of smell...but only in the bathroom
  #16  
Old 03-02-2017, 01:59 PM
muldoonthief's Avatar
muldoonthief muldoonthief is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: North of Boston
Posts: 10,569
Quote:
Originally Posted by burpo the wonder mutt View Post
How did Mikey get Pop Rocks in Vietnam?
When did Mikey go to Vietnam? He was 3 when the commercial was filmed in 1972. I think you're confusing Mikey & the Beaver.
  #17  
Old 03-02-2017, 02:00 PM
eschereal's Avatar
eschereal eschereal is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Frogstar World B
Posts: 15,303
Quote:
Originally Posted by WOOKINPANUB View Post
... IIRC the red ones can kill you....
That probably has to do with the old Red Dye #2 controversy. After the dye was banned, red M&Ms disappeared completely for nearly two decades before making their triumphant return.
Quote:
Dr. Pepper is made from prune juice
Have not heard "made from", but it sure as hell tastes like carbonated prune juice.
  #18  
Old 03-02-2017, 02:01 PM
Suburban Plankton's Avatar
Suburban Plankton Suburban Plankton is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 7,983
Apparently, if I use part of an onion, then put the other half in the refrigerator, it will become highly poisonous.

I must be truly blessed that my family has somehow escaped this almost certain death the last 837 times we've done this.
  #19  
Old 03-02-2017, 02:05 PM
running coach's Avatar
running coach running coach is online now
Arms of Steel, Leg of Jello
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Riding my handcycle
Posts: 35,956
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban Plankton View Post
Apparently, if I use part of an onion, then put the other half in the refrigerator, it will become highly poisonous.

I must be truly blessed that my family has somehow escaped this almost certain death the last 837 times we've done this.
It's that 838th time that gets you. Or 839, I never can remember which.
  #20  
Old 03-02-2017, 02:19 PM
Azeotrope Azeotrope is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,980
The cardboard box is more nutritious than the sugary junk cereal inside it.

A tooth left in (whatever brand of soda Mom didn't want you drinking) overnight would dissolve.
  #21  
Old 03-02-2017, 02:25 PM
eschereal's Avatar
eschereal eschereal is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Frogstar World B
Posts: 15,303
no mention of the 5-second rule?
  #22  
Old 03-02-2017, 02:28 PM
Just Asking Questions Just Asking Questions is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 6,302
Quote:
Originally Posted by WOOKINPANUB View Post
Dr. Pepper is made from prune juice
Locally, we always said Dr Pepper was a mixture of the leftovers from the bottom of the vats holding all the other pop flavors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban Plankton View Post
Apparently, if I use part of an onion, then put the other half in the refrigerator, it will become highly poisonous.
Well, the simple solution is, you take half of the half, and the half you take will be good, and the remaining 1/4 of the onion will become even more poisonous. You can keep doing this until the pebble-sized piece of onion explodes in your fridge.
  #23  
Old 03-02-2017, 02:31 PM
erysichthon erysichthon is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 1,563
Ramen noodles contain wax that will kill you by coating the inside of your digestive system.

Margarine is one molecule away from plastic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azeotrope View Post
The cardboard box is more nutritious than the sugary junk cereal inside it.
I remember the Mythbusters testing this by making some kind of disgusting soup out of a shredded cereal box. *GAG*
  #24  
Old 03-02-2017, 02:32 PM
WOOKINPANUB's Avatar
WOOKINPANUB WOOKINPANUB is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: St Petersburg, Floriduhhh
Posts: 6,688
I have a vague recollection of someone getting a deep fried rat in their bucket o' KFC.
  #25  
Old 03-02-2017, 02:46 PM
Ukulele Ike Ukulele Ike is offline
Charter Member
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Location: Brooklyn
Posts: 16,384
Quote:
Originally Posted by WOOKINPANUB View Post
I have a vague recollection of someone getting a deep fried rat in their bucket o' KFC.
Hey! The rat is the BEST PART!
  #26  
Old 03-02-2017, 02:50 PM
jz78817 jz78817 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Under Oveur & over Unger
Posts: 11,758
Quote:
Originally Posted by sitchensis View Post
Maybe I got it confused with the 50 lbs of fatty plaque coating everyone's intestines.
I still hear ads for stuff to remedy that on SiriusXM.
  #27  
Old 03-02-2017, 02:57 PM
Chefguy's Avatar
Chefguy Chefguy is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Portlandia
Posts: 41,012
Chewing gum is made from horses' hooves.

Starving children in China were somehow benefited by my eating foods I didn't like.
  #28  
Old 03-02-2017, 02:57 PM
jtur88 jtur88 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Cebu, Philippines
Posts: 14,329
That there is any reason whatsoever to be even the slightest bit hesitant about eating a product one day after its expiration date. Or, one week after.

That, per ounce, potato chips contain more salt then Special K'

That, per ounce, Coca Cola contains more sugar than Special K.

That you have to store mayo, kechup, mustard, pickles, relish, bottled sauces in the fridge after opening.

Last edited by jtur88; 03-02-2017 at 02:59 PM.
  #29  
Old 03-02-2017, 03:00 PM
Earl Snake-Hips Tucker Earl Snake-Hips Tucker is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Location: SEC
Posts: 13,950
Make sure you cook with aluminum foil with the shiny side out, or else. . . something will go wrong.

Don't jump up and down while the cake is baking or it will flop.
  #30  
Old 03-02-2017, 03:03 PM
WOOKINPANUB's Avatar
WOOKINPANUB WOOKINPANUB is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: St Petersburg, Floriduhhh
Posts: 6,688
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
That there is any reason whatsoever to be even the slightest bit hesitant about eating a product one day after its expiration date. Or, one week after.

That, per ounce, potato chips contain more salt then Special K'

That, per ounce, Coca Cola contains more sugar than Special K.

That you have to store mayo, kechup, mustard, pickles, relish, bottled sauces in the fridge after opening.
I get all of this except the mayo. I don't eat it myself so never paid that much attention, but isn't it lethal if it goes bad? Of course, that's probably the myth part.
  #31  
Old 03-02-2017, 03:09 PM
jz78817 jz78817 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Under Oveur & over Unger
Posts: 11,758
Quote:
Originally Posted by WOOKINPANUB View Post
I get all of this except the mayo. I don't eat it myself so never paid that much attention, but isn't it lethal if it goes bad? Of course, that's probably the myth part.
I think commercially produced mayo (e.g. Hellman's/Best Foods) is too acidic to foster the growth of baddies like C. botulinum. Mayo made with raw eggs can carry a salmonella risk. IIRC when Alton Brown talked about this, he said that most times when people think mayo in potato salad gave them food poisoning, it was really cross-contamination from another source.

Last edited by jz78817; 03-02-2017 at 03:10 PM.
  #32  
Old 03-02-2017, 03:17 PM
DCnDC's Avatar
DCnDC DCnDC is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: The Dueling Grounds
Posts: 11,446
Quote:
Originally Posted by WOOKINPANUB View Post
I get all of this except the mayo. I don't eat it myself so never paid that much attention, but isn't it lethal if it goes bad? Of course, that's probably the myth part.
Commercially prepared mayonnaise is made with pasteurized eggs and is too acidic for most bacteria or molds to grow. The label instructs you to "refrigerate after opening" to preserve the quality of its taste, not its safety.

The problem with mayonnaise (one of them, at least) is people contaminate the jar by sticking their utensil into it, spreading it on something, then sticking that same utensil back in the jar with crumbs and shit still on it.
  #33  
Old 03-02-2017, 03:29 PM
pulykamell pulykamell is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: SW Side, Chicago
Posts: 45,969
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban Plankton View Post
Apparently, if I use part of an onion, then put the other half in the refrigerator, it will become highly poisonous.

I must be truly blessed that my family has somehow escaped this almost certain death the last 837 times we've done this.
I think I asked about this many many moons ago on the Dope (actually, here's the brief thread -- hey, back from May of 2000, when I joined the Dope, so this must have been one of my first threads), but one of my German friends told me that reheating and eating cooked mushrooms would make you sick. I have no idea where this comes from, or why an intelligent human being such as her would believe it to be true, but she did. And she's a vegetarian, so I assume she's eaten her fair share of mushrooms (actually, it looks like the context, which I had forgotten, was her relaying a story about getting sick after eating cooked mushrooms.) Is anyone else familiar with this?

Last edited by pulykamell; 03-02-2017 at 03:31 PM.
  #34  
Old 03-02-2017, 03:39 PM
TriPolar TriPolar is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: rhode island
Posts: 39,321
I mentioned the mayo thing again in another thread. More than the other condiments mentioned mayo lasts because it's mainly oil and it creates an oxygen free environment. The little bit of egg used as an emulsifier encapsulates the oil in little tiny droplets also which prevents oxidization of the oil.

I haven't seen any mention of searing meat to seal in the juices yet. The searing is to enhance the flavor from the Maillard Reaction (or Mallard Reaction if you are cooking a duck). It doesn't seal in juices, the moistness of the meat is determined by proper temperature and cooking conditions.
  #35  
Old 03-02-2017, 03:42 PM
Cat Whisperer Cat Whisperer is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Lethbridge, AB.
Posts: 49,084
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschereal View Post
no mention of the 5-second rule?
That's not a myth, that's REAL!!! I'll pick damned near anything up off the floor and dust it off and eat it if I just dropped it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCnDC View Post
Commercially prepared mayonnaise is made with pasteurized eggs and is too acidic for most bacteria or molds to grow. The label instructs you to "refrigerate after opening" to preserve the quality of its taste, not its safety.<snip>
Can confirm. We use very little mayonnaise*, so even the small jar I buy gets stale and weird-smelling before we use it up, even being kept in the fridge.

*It's actually Miracle Whip, because I prefer the tangy zip.
__________________
"Your guilty consciences may make you vote Democratic, but secretly you all yearn for a Republican president to lower taxes, brutalize criminals, and rule you like a king!"
- S. Bob
  #36  
Old 03-02-2017, 03:49 PM
bump bump is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 16,470
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chefguy View Post
Chewing gum is made from horses' hooves.
No, that's JellO.
  #37  
Old 03-02-2017, 04:00 PM
purplehearingaid purplehearingaid is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 1,837
I was told chocolate cause pimples , my parents ate chocolate candy and didn't have pimples! I bet they wanted it all for their self and told us 4 kids this !
  #38  
Old 03-02-2017, 04:14 PM
adhemar adhemar is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 1,457
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas Jones View Post
My first mother-in-law (hey, I have a collection) used to say that "pepper never leaves your system." I was putting some black pepper on a baked potato or something. I just smiled and said I must be 10% pepper by now.

Although she is the only person I ever heard this comment from I can see that she wasn't the only one.

http://www.worldshealthiestfoods.net...tname=dailytip
I was told this too. The person later clarified that it pass through your system with other non digestible consumables.
  #39  
Old 03-02-2017, 05:53 PM
Soul Brother Number Two Soul Brother Number Two is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Parts Unknown
Posts: 2,785
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl Snake-Hips Tucker View Post
Don't jump up and down while the cake is baking or it will flop.
This ain't true? Come on!
  #40  
Old 03-02-2017, 05:54 PM
EinsteinsHund's Avatar
EinsteinsHund EinsteinsHund is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: NRW, Germany
Posts: 2,552
Quote:
Originally Posted by pulykamell View Post
I think I asked about this many many moons ago on the Dope (actually, here's the brief thread -- hey, back from May of 2000, when I joined the Dope, so this must have been one of my first threads), but one of my German friends told me that reheating and eating cooked mushrooms would make you sick. I have no idea where this comes from, or why an intelligent human being such as her would believe it to be true, but she did. And she's a vegetarian, so I assume she's eaten her fair share of mushrooms (actually, it looks like the context, which I had forgotten, was her relaying a story about getting sick after eating cooked mushrooms.) Is anyone else familiar with this?
Oh yes, I'm actually German and this is what I was always told when I was kid in the seventies: reheated mushrooms will kill you. My mother never did it. Since I've cooked my own food, I've let this rule silently slip and reheat my tagliatelle ai funghi merrily in the microwave and can digest them quite well. But my Mom still would never do it...

ETA: I'm a vegetarian too, if that matters, and eat my fair share of mushrooms.

ETA2: oh, and NEVER eat raw mushrooms, of any kind. They will kill you too. Same bullshit.

Last edited by EinsteinsHund; 03-02-2017 at 05:58 PM.
  #41  
Old 03-02-2017, 06:04 PM
EinsteinsHund's Avatar
EinsteinsHund EinsteinsHund is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: NRW, Germany
Posts: 2,552
Oh, and I remember one more from my mother. Never drink water or anything else after having eaten cherries or prunes (every other fruit is ok), or else you get stomach cramps. Has anybody heard about that?
  #42  
Old 03-02-2017, 06:07 PM
Derleth Derleth is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Missoula, Montana, USA
Posts: 20,894
Quote:
Originally Posted by WOOKINPANUB View Post
The most pervasive I can think of is that oysters make one amorous.
Oysters and Spanish fly, a beetle which creates a dangerously toxic chemical called cantharidin, a potent blistering agent. Because nothing turns on the average person like serious chemical burns.

Quote:
Maraschino cherries are made of balogna (no word what the balogna was made of)
Who knows what the bologna was made of.

Quote:
Pop rocks, if eaten with soda pop will explode in your mouth
Well, yes. That's the point. The legend is that they'll explode in your stomach, creating enough gas to kill you. IIRC, the first episode of Mythbusters busted that one with a pig stomach.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jz78817 View Post
I haven't heard it in a long time, but there were some in my grandparents' generation who believed swallowing chewing gum would lead to appendicitis.
I used to be a nervous, twitchy little kid, so I chewed my pencils something terrible. I can still remember my second grade teacher standing over me, intently detailing just how terribly pencil wood would destroy a tiny little organ no bigger than the tip of my pinkie finger, and how she apparently believed that being scary and intimidating to a nervous second-grader would make him less likely to chew his pencils. (Well, the second part was implied, I suppose.) Anyway, the little organ was the appendix, which I've never had a second of trouble from my whole life so far.
  #43  
Old 03-02-2017, 06:41 PM
Mahaloth Mahaloth is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: 地球
Posts: 29,115
Mountain Dew shrinks your testicles.

Around 1990-1992, Michigan. Middle-school boys. We talked about it in school and in youth group, etc.
  #44  
Old 03-02-2017, 06:50 PM
pulykamell pulykamell is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: SW Side, Chicago
Posts: 45,969
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsHund View Post
Oh yes, I'm actually German and this is what I was always told when I was kid in the seventies: reheated mushrooms will kill you. My mother never did it. Since I've cooked my own food, I've let this rule silently slip and reheat my tagliatelle ai funghi merrily in the microwave and can digest them quite well. But my Mom still would never do it...

ETA: I'm a vegetarian too, if that matters, and eat my fair share of mushrooms.

ETA2: oh, and NEVER eat raw mushrooms, of any kind. They will kill you too. Same bullshit.
Oh, goodie! Finally someone other than my friend and her friends who's heard of it! I'm wondering if maybe there is some kind of mushroom where there is some shred of truth to this, or we can identify the source of this myth or something.

But, then again, I've heard lots of odd myths that have apparently no basis whatsoever in reality that it could just be something spun out of whole cloth.
  #45  
Old 03-02-2017, 06:53 PM
pulykamell pulykamell is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: SW Side, Chicago
Posts: 45,969
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsHund View Post
Oh, and I remember one more from my mother. Never drink water or anything else after having eaten cherries or prunes (every other fruit is ok), or else you get stomach cramps. Has anybody heard about that?
I don't know that one, but my parents were fond of "don't drink ice cold water on a hot summer day" because the shock to your system might kill you or something. I haven't heard them repeat that one in a long while, though. Must be some Eastern European thing a la "if you're a woman, don't sit on a cold stone floor/bench/surface because it will make you infertile."
  #46  
Old 03-02-2017, 06:58 PM
Helena330's Avatar
Helena330 Helena330 is offline
Mere Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Near Seattle, WA, USA
Posts: 3,533
Quote:
Originally Posted by pulykamell View Post
I think I asked about this many many moons ago on the Dope (actually, here's the brief thread -- hey, back from May of 2000, when I joined the Dope, so this must have been one of my first threads), but one of my German friends told me that reheating and eating cooked mushrooms would make you sick. I have no idea where this comes from, or why an intelligent human being such as her would believe it to be true, but she did. And she's a vegetarian, so I assume she's eaten her fair share of mushrooms (actually, it looks like the context, which I had forgotten, was her relaying a story about getting sick after eating cooked mushrooms.) Is anyone else familiar with this?
I've never heard it, but I've refrigerated, reheated and eaten cooked mushrooms plenty of times and I'm still here to tell the tale. I don't recall ever getting sick from suspected bad mushrooms.

Going back to the OP and the assertion that Dr. Pepper is made from prune juice. I once heard that prune juice and Sprite taste like Dr. Pepper. They do NOT. They taste like gross prune juice, which is already kind of gross (it's so dense, for lack of a better description).
  #47  
Old 03-02-2017, 07:00 PM
Cat Whisperer Cat Whisperer is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Lethbridge, AB.
Posts: 49,084
Quote:
Originally Posted by pulykamell View Post
<snip>Must be some Eastern European thing a la "if you're a woman, don't sit on a cold stone floor/bench/surface because it will make you infertile."
Our version of that was, "Don't sit on cold cement because it will give you piles."
  #48  
Old 03-02-2017, 07:04 PM
burpo the wonder mutt's Avatar
burpo the wonder mutt burpo the wonder mutt is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: NE Florida
Posts: 22,748
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat Whisperer View Post
Our version of that was, "Don't sit on cold cement because it will give you piles."
Mom never said piles of what.
  #49  
Old 03-02-2017, 07:05 PM
erysichthon erysichthon is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 1,563
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat Whisperer View Post
That's not a myth, that's REAL!!! I'll pick damned near anything up off the floor and dust it off and eat it if I just dropped it.
Same here. I'm perfectly aware that contamination is instantaneous (I saw that on Mythbusters too) but I'm not about to toss out a delicious morsel of food simply because it's fallen on the floor.

Saying "Five second rule!" distracts you from the reality that you're eating food coated with dead skin cells and dust mites. Also, blowing on the food completely sanitizes it.
  #50  
Old 03-02-2017, 07:11 PM
snfaulkner's Avatar
snfaulkner snfaulkner is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: 123 Fake Street
Posts: 7,063
This one is from my high school girlfriend's uber religiously stupid parents: Don't cook anything in the microwave because it makes the atoms spin backwards which WILL give you cancer.
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:04 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright 2018 STM Reader, LLC.

 
Copyright © 2017