Old 03-02-2017, 01:18 PM

Food myths

The most pervasive I can think of is that oysters make one amorous. I have no idea if it's true but it's been purported for a long time. What others have you heard of? Most everyone knows that green M & Ms make you horny and, IIRC the red ones can kill you. A couple more I remember:

Dr. Pepper is made from prune juice
Maraschino cherries are made of balogna (no word what the balogna was made of)
Pop rocks, if eaten with soda pop will explode in your mouth
Old 03-02-2017, 01:31 PM

If you swallow watermelon seeds, a watermelon plant will grow in your stomach.

You must wait 60 minutes and not a nanosecond less after eating before swimming, or else you will sink like a rock and drown.
Old 03-02-2017, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azeotrope View Post
If you swallow watermelon seeds, a watermelon plant will grow in your stomach.

You must wait 60 minutes and not a nanosecond less after eating before swimming, or else you will sink like a rock and drown.
I always heard you would get a cramp. Either way, you're dead.
Old 03-02-2017, 01:36 PM

I haven't heard it in a long time, but there were some in my grandparents' generation who believed swallowing chewing gum would lead to appendicitis.
Old 03-02-2017, 01:42 PM

I remember the first time my cousins and I went in the pool after only (gasp!) 59 minutes. We felt like such rebels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jz78817 View Post
I haven't heard it in a long time, but there were some in my grandparents' generation who believed swallowing chewing gum would lead to appendicitis.
The version I always heard was that it would stay in your stomach for 7 years.

Oh, and if you hold a buttercup under your chin and it makes a little yellow spot, it means you like butter.
Old 03-02-2017, 01:42 PM

I don't know how many people have told me that swallowing chewing gum will make it permanently lodge in one's intestines, because it's "indigestible." (Ninja'd because I walked away from my post! I guess this is a big one.)

Eating raw dough will give you worms. Ok, it may not be the smartest thing to eat, but I'm pretty sure worms aren't a big risk factor.

The "rules" have changed over and over about introducing certain foods into a baby's diet, sometimes due to allergen concerns. But people tend to insist you do what their doctor/baby manual said back in 1979. An example: my mother was forever trying to get me to put rice cereal in formula bottles for mine so they would "sleep better." (My kids wouldn't even take a bottle, but that was a separate issue...)

Last edited by Elemenopy; 03-02-2017 at 01:43 PM.
Old 03-02-2017, 01:43 PM

Swallowed chewing gum takes 7 years to digest.

Special foods (like juice) "cleanse" the body of "toxins."
Old 03-02-2017, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Gum would stay in you stomach forever because you can't break it down.
Old 03-02-2017, 01:46 PM

Quote:

The version I always heard was that it would stay in your stomach for 7 years.
I heard that one too.
Old 03-02-2017, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WOOKINPANUB View Post
They explode in your stomach and kill you, which is what happened to Mikey from the Life cereal commercials.
Old 03-02-2017, 01:49 PM

How did Mikey get Pop Rocks in Vietnam?
Old 03-02-2017, 01:52 PM

My first mother-in-law (hey, I have a collection) used to say that "pepper never leaves your system." I was putting some black pepper on a baked potato or something. I just smiled and said I must be 10% pepper by now.

Although she is the only person I ever heard this comment from I can see that she wasn't the only one.

http://www.worldshealthiestfoods.net...tname=dailytip
Old 03-02-2017, 01:57 PM

Ooh, just remembered another gem from Mom (a nurse, BTW). Milk is a solid, not a liquid, so you have to drink a lot of other fluids so you don't get dehydrated. Maybe that was just her, though. I tried to explain the concept of milk solids in suspension/emulsion in water, but I might as well have been explaining how space shuttles launch.
Old 03-02-2017, 01:58 PM

Quote:
I heard that one too.
Maybe I got it confused with the 50 lbs of fatty plaque coating everyone's intestines.
Old 03-02-2017, 01:58 PM

Eating asparagus enhances one's sense of smell...but only in the bathroom
Old 03-02-2017, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burpo the wonder mutt View Post
How did Mikey get Pop Rocks in Vietnam?
When did Mikey go to Vietnam? He was 3 when the commercial was filmed in 1972. I think you're confusing Mikey & the Beaver.
Old 03-02-2017, 02:00 PM

Quote:
... IIRC the red ones can kill you....
That probably has to do with the old Red Dye #2 controversy. After the dye was banned, red M&Ms disappeared completely for nearly two decades before making their triumphant return.
Quote:
Have not heard "made from", but it sure as hell tastes like carbonated prune juice.
Old 03-02-2017, 02:01 PM

Apparently, if I use part of an onion, then put the other half in the refrigerator, it will become highly poisonous.

I must be truly blessed that my family has somehow escaped this almost certain death the last 837 times we've done this.
Old 03-02-2017, 02:05 PM
Arms of Steel, Leg of Jello
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban Plankton View Post
Apparently, if I use part of an onion, then put the other half in the refrigerator, it will become highly poisonous.

I must be truly blessed that my family has somehow escaped this almost certain death the last 837 times we've done this.
It's that 838th time that gets you. Or 839, I never can remember which.
Old 03-02-2017, 02:19 PM

The cardboard box is more nutritious than the sugary junk cereal inside it.

A tooth left in (whatever brand of soda Mom didn't want you drinking) overnight would dissolve.
Old 03-02-2017, 02:25 PM

no mention of the 5-second rule?
Old 03-02-2017, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Locally, we always said Dr Pepper was a mixture of the leftovers from the bottom of the vats holding all the other pop flavors.

Quote:
Well, the simple solution is, you take half of the half, and the half you take will be good, and the remaining 1/4 of the onion will become even more poisonous. You can keep doing this until the pebble-sized piece of onion explodes in your fridge.
Old 03-02-2017, 02:31 PM

Ramen noodles contain wax that will kill you by coating the inside of your digestive system.

Margarine is one molecule away from plastic.

Quote:
The cardboard box is more nutritious than the sugary junk cereal inside it.
I remember the Mythbusters testing this by making some kind of disgusting soup out of a shredded cereal box. *GAG*
Old 03-02-2017, 02:32 PM

I have a vague recollection of someone getting a deep fried rat in their bucket o' KFC.
Old 03-02-2017, 02:46 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
I have a vague recollection of someone getting a deep fried rat in their bucket o' KFC.
Hey! The rat is the BEST PART!
Old 03-02-2017, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sitchensis View Post
Maybe I got it confused with the 50 lbs of fatty plaque coating everyone's intestines.
I still hear ads for stuff to remedy that on SiriusXM.
Old 03-02-2017, 02:57 PM
Charter Member

Chewing gum is made from horses' hooves.

Starving children in China were somehow benefited by my eating foods I didn't like.
Old 03-02-2017, 02:57 PM

That there is any reason whatsoever to be even the slightest bit hesitant about eating a product one day after its expiration date. Or, one week after.

That, per ounce, potato chips contain more salt then Special K'

That, per ounce, Coca Cola contains more sugar than Special K.

That you have to store mayo, kechup, mustard, pickles, relish, bottled sauces in the fridge after opening.

Last edited by jtur88; 03-02-2017 at 02:59 PM.
Old 03-02-2017, 03:00 PM
Charter Member

Make sure you cook with aluminum foil with the shiny side out, or else. . . something will go wrong.

Don't jump up and down while the cake is baking or it will flop.
Old 03-02-2017, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
That there is any reason whatsoever to be even the slightest bit hesitant about eating a product one day after its expiration date. Or, one week after.

That, per ounce, potato chips contain more salt then Special K'

That, per ounce, Coca Cola contains more sugar than Special K.

That you have to store mayo, kechup, mustard, pickles, relish, bottled sauces in the fridge after opening.
I get all of this except the mayo. I don't eat it myself so never paid that much attention, but isn't it lethal if it goes bad? Of course, that's probably the myth part.
Old 03-02-2017, 03:09 PM

Quote:
I get all of this except the mayo. I don't eat it myself so never paid that much attention, but isn't it lethal if it goes bad? Of course, that's probably the myth part.
I think commercially produced mayo (e.g. Hellman's/Best Foods) is too acidic to foster the growth of baddies like C. botulinum. Mayo made with raw eggs can carry a salmonella risk. IIRC when Alton Brown talked about this, he said that most times when people think mayo in potato salad gave them food poisoning, it was really cross-contamination from another source.

Last edited by jz78817; 03-02-2017 at 03:10 PM.
Old 03-02-2017, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Commercially prepared mayonnaise is made with pasteurized eggs and is too acidic for most bacteria or molds to grow. The label instructs you to "refrigerate after opening" to preserve the quality of its taste, not its safety.

The problem with mayonnaise (one of them, at least) is people contaminate the jar by sticking their utensil into it, spreading it on something, then sticking that same utensil back in the jar with crumbs and shit still on it.
Old 03-02-2017, 03:29 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

I think I asked about this many many moons ago on the Dope (actually, here's the brief thread -- hey, back from May of 2000, when I joined the Dope, so this must have been one of my first threads), but one of my German friends told me that reheating and eating cooked mushrooms would make you sick. I have no idea where this comes from, or why an intelligent human being such as her would believe it to be true, but she did. And she's a vegetarian, so I assume she's eaten her fair share of mushrooms (actually, it looks like the context, which I had forgotten, was her relaying a story about getting sick after eating cooked mushrooms.) Is anyone else familiar with this?

Last edited by pulykamell; 03-02-2017 at 03:31 PM.
Old 03-02-2017, 03:39 PM

I mentioned the mayo thing again in another thread. More than the other condiments mentioned mayo lasts because it's mainly oil and it creates an oxygen free environment. The little bit of egg used as an emulsifier encapsulates the oil in little tiny droplets also which prevents oxidization of the oil.

I haven't seen any mention of searing meat to seal in the juices yet. The searing is to enhance the flavor from the Maillard Reaction (or Mallard Reaction if you are cooking a duck). It doesn't seal in juices, the moistness of the meat is determined by proper temperature and cooking conditions.
Old 03-02-2017, 03:42 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschereal View Post
no mention of the 5-second rule?
That's not a myth, that's REAL!!! I'll pick damned near anything up off the floor and dust it off and eat it if I just dropped it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCnDC View Post
Commercially prepared mayonnaise is made with pasteurized eggs and is too acidic for most bacteria or molds to grow. The label instructs you to "refrigerate after opening" to preserve the quality of its taste, not its safety.<snip>
Can confirm. We use very little mayonnaise*, so even the small jar I buy gets stale and weird-smelling before we use it up, even being kept in the fridge.

*It's actually Miracle Whip, because I prefer the tangy zip.
Old 03-02-2017, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chefguy View Post
Chewing gum is made from horses' hooves.
No, that's JellO.
Old 03-02-2017, 04:00 PM

I was told chocolate cause pimples , my parents ate chocolate candy and didn't have pimples! I bet they wanted it all for their self and told us 4 kids this !
Old 03-02-2017, 04:14 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas Jones View Post
My first mother-in-law (hey, I have a collection) used to say that "pepper never leaves your system." I was putting some black pepper on a baked potato or something. I just smiled and said I must be 10% pepper by now.

Although she is the only person I ever heard this comment from I can see that she wasn't the only one.

http://www.worldshealthiestfoods.net...tname=dailytip
I was told this too. The person later clarified that it pass through your system with other non digestible consumables.
Old 03-02-2017, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl Snake-Hips Tucker View Post
Don't jump up and down while the cake is baking or it will flop.
This ain't true? Come on!
Old 03-02-2017, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulykamell View Post
I think I asked about this many many moons ago on the Dope (actually, here's the brief thread -- hey, back from May of 2000, when I joined the Dope, so this must have been one of my first threads), but one of my German friends told me that reheating and eating cooked mushrooms would make you sick. I have no idea where this comes from, or why an intelligent human being such as her would believe it to be true, but she did. And she's a vegetarian, so I assume she's eaten her fair share of mushrooms (actually, it looks like the context, which I had forgotten, was her relaying a story about getting sick after eating cooked mushrooms.) Is anyone else familiar with this?
Oh yes, I'm actually German and this is what I was always told when I was kid in the seventies: reheated mushrooms will kill you. My mother never did it. Since I've cooked my own food, I've let this rule silently slip and reheat my tagliatelle ai funghi merrily in the microwave and can digest them quite well. But my Mom still would never do it...

ETA: I'm a vegetarian too, if that matters, and eat my fair share of mushrooms.

ETA2: oh, and NEVER eat raw mushrooms, of any kind. They will kill you too. Same bullshit.

Last edited by EinsteinsHund; 03-02-2017 at 05:58 PM.
Old 03-02-2017, 06:04 PM

Oh, and I remember one more from my mother. Never drink water or anything else after having eaten cherries or prunes (every other fruit is ok), or else you get stomach cramps. Has anybody heard about that?
Old 03-02-2017, 06:07 PM

Quote:
The most pervasive I can think of is that oysters make one amorous.
Oysters and Spanish fly, a beetle which creates a dangerously toxic chemical called cantharidin, a potent blistering agent. Because nothing turns on the average person like serious chemical burns.

Quote:
Maraschino cherries are made of balogna (no word what the balogna was made of)
Who knows what the bologna was made of.

Quote:
Well, yes. That's the point. The legend is that they'll explode in your stomach, creating enough gas to kill you. IIRC, the first episode of Mythbusters busted that one with a pig stomach.

Quote:
I used to be a nervous, twitchy little kid, so I chewed my pencils something terrible. I can still remember my second grade teacher standing over me, intently detailing just how terribly pencil wood would destroy a tiny little organ no bigger than the tip of my pinkie finger, and how she apparently believed that being scary and intimidating to a nervous second-grader would make him less likely to chew his pencils. (Well, the second part was implied, I suppose.) Anyway, the little organ was the appendix, which I've never had a second of trouble from my whole life so far.
Old 03-02-2017, 06:41 PM
Charter Member

Mountain Dew shrinks your testicles.

Around 1990-1992, Michigan. Middle-school boys. We talked about it in school and in youth group, etc.
Old 03-02-2017, 06:50 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsHund View Post
Oh yes, I'm actually German and this is what I was always told when I was kid in the seventies: reheated mushrooms will kill you. My mother never did it. Since I've cooked my own food, I've let this rule silently slip and reheat my tagliatelle ai funghi merrily in the microwave and can digest them quite well. But my Mom still would never do it...

ETA: I'm a vegetarian too, if that matters, and eat my fair share of mushrooms.

ETA2: oh, and NEVER eat raw mushrooms, of any kind. They will kill you too. Same bullshit.
Oh, goodie! Finally someone other than my friend and her friends who's heard of it! I'm wondering if maybe there is some kind of mushroom where there is some shred of truth to this, or we can identify the source of this myth or something.

But, then again, I've heard lots of odd myths that have apparently no basis whatsoever in reality that it could just be something spun out of whole cloth.
Old 03-02-2017, 06:53 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsHund View Post
Oh, and I remember one more from my mother. Never drink water or anything else after having eaten cherries or prunes (every other fruit is ok), or else you get stomach cramps. Has anybody heard about that?
I don't know that one, but my parents were fond of "don't drink ice cold water on a hot summer day" because the shock to your system might kill you or something. I haven't heard them repeat that one in a long while, though. Must be some Eastern European thing a la "if you're a woman, don't sit on a cold stone floor/bench/surface because it will make you infertile."
Old 03-02-2017, 06:58 PM
Mere Member

Quote:
I've never heard it, but I've refrigerated, reheated and eaten cooked mushrooms plenty of times and I'm still here to tell the tale. I don't recall ever getting sick from suspected bad mushrooms.

Going back to the OP and the assertion that Dr. Pepper is made from prune juice. I once heard that prune juice and Sprite taste like Dr. Pepper. They do NOT. They taste like gross prune juice, which is already kind of gross (it's so dense, for lack of a better description).
Old 03-02-2017, 07:00 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
<snip>Must be some Eastern European thing a la "if you're a woman, don't sit on a cold stone floor/bench/surface because it will make you infertile."
Our version of that was, "Don't sit on cold cement because it will give you piles."
Old 03-02-2017, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat Whisperer View Post
Our version of that was, "Don't sit on cold cement because it will give you piles."
Mom never said piles of what.
Old 03-02-2017, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat Whisperer View Post
That's not a myth, that's REAL!!! I'll pick damned near anything up off the floor and dust it off and eat it if I just dropped it.
Same here. I'm perfectly aware that contamination is instantaneous (I saw that on Mythbusters too) but I'm not about to toss out a delicious morsel of food simply because it's fallen on the floor.

Saying "Five second rule!" distracts you from the reality that you're eating food coated with dead skin cells and dust mites. Also, blowing on the food completely sanitizes it.
Old 03-02-2017, 07:11 PM

This one is from my high school girlfriend's uber religiously stupid parents: Don't cook anything in the microwave because it makes the atoms spin backwards which WILL give you cancer.