Old 03-02-2017, 07:30 PM
Charter Member

"Chicken eggs that float are rotten." No, they may or may not be, but they're floating because they've been around long enough for some of the liquid to evaporate thru the permeable shell.
Old 03-02-2017, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahaloth View Post
Mountain Dew shrinks your testicles.

Around 1990-1992, Michigan. Middle-school boys. We talked about it in school and in youth group, etc.
My husband STILL says this, although I have to believe he's being sarcastic.
Old 03-02-2017, 07:53 PM

The 5, 10, 20, or more pounds of undigested meat that is in every non-vegetarians colon. Sometimes it comes up in terms of the above mentioned juice cleanses. Just think about the volume that even five pounds of meat takes up. There is no way I would be unaware of carrying 20 pounds around with me.

If food has that little organic certification on it that means no pesticides were used growing it. There's actually a list of approved natural pesticides for the US certification. Some of that list, like Rotenone and Azadirachtin, are worse than most of their non-naturally occurring competitors.

Eating after some time at night (or within so many hours of bed time) makes the food all turn to fat. It doesn't.
Old 03-02-2017, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erysichthon View Post
Also, blowing on the food completely sanitizes it.
Why would you want to do that? It is another myth that perfectly sanitary food is better for you. You want a bit of grot on your food, to keep your immune system in practice (that is assuming you do not have an autoimmune disease). This is why picnic food is always better. Nothing like a little yellow jacket crap on your potato salad.
Old 03-02-2017, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azeotrope View Post
A tooth left in (whatever brand of soda Mom didn't want you drinking) overnight would dissolve.
There is a bit of truth to this, at least if you use Coca-Cola. Try it! We did in a junior high science class (with a baby tooth thoughtfully donated by someone who's younger sibling had lost one recently) and while the tooth did not "dissolve" in the sense of completely disintegrating, after a day or two a lot of enamel had come off and the structural integrity of the tooth seemed doubtful.

Last edited by CairoCarol; 03-02-2017 at 11:55 PM. Reason: Forgetting the distinction between "dubious" and "doubtful" in my old age.
Old 03-03-2017, 12:02 AM
Charter Member

Yeah, I think there the rub is not that it's false, but that it's meaningless.
Old 03-03-2017, 01:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaper View Post
Yeah, I think there the rub is not that it's false, but that it's meaningless.
That, and something "all-natural" like lemon juice would probably do the same thing.

After some research: Lemon juice has a pH of 2, whereas Coca-Cola Classic has a pH of 2.50 (and lemon juice a pH of 2.29, which is exactly the same as the previous reference accounting for differences in precision).

So, yes, lemon juice would not only do the same thing, it would do it better and faster than Coca-Cola.

Last edited by Derleth; 03-03-2017 at 01:06 AM.
Old 03-03-2017, 01:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschereal View Post
Why would you want to do that? It is another myth that perfectly sanitary food is better for you. You want a bit of grot on your food, to keep your immune system in practice (that is assuming you do not have an autoimmune disease). This is why picnic food is always better. Nothing like a little yellow jacket crap on your potato salad.
Actually, I've used that excuse too—thinking "this will toughen up my immune system" as I pick up a Flaming Hot Cheeto from the carpet and pop it into my mouth.

Old 03-03-2017, 01:52 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschereal View Post
no mention of the 5-second rule?
Yes, see post #21.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulykamell View Post
I don't know that one, but my parents were fond of "don't drink ice cold water on a hot summer day" because the shock to your system might kill you or something.
Daredevils that our family may be, we cheat death every day in Summer by disobeying this rule.

Another one is "nothing cools you better on a hot day like a cup of hot tea". My Irish parents in law mentioned this one. I said "strangely I've never heard anyone from a hot climate ever say this". Knowing I'm from Brisbane, they appeared to accept my authority on the point. And when they stay with us, it isn't hot tea they drink.
Old 03-03-2017, 02:04 AM

Green bananas give you a bellyache.
Old 03-03-2017, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCnDC View Post
The problem with mayonnaise (one of them, at least) is people contaminate the jar by sticking their utensil into it, spreading it on something, then sticking that same utensil back in the jar with crumbs and shit still on it.
Don'tcha hate when you get near the bottom of a jar of mayo and find a used condom?
Old 03-03-2017, 09:44 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princhester View Post
Another one is "nothing cools you better on a hot day like a cup of hot tea". My Irish parents in law mentioned this one. I said "strangely I've never heard anyone from a hot climate ever say this". Knowing I'm from Brisbane, they appeared to accept my authority on the point. And when they stay with us, it isn't hot tea they drink.
There may be a small grain of truth to that. And I've encountered hot drinks in hot climates fairly commonly. Indians, in particularly, seemed to be very fond of that. Found the same in Central Asia.
Old 03-03-2017, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinastasia View Post
As a wee lad I developed a fondness for the taste of green, hard-to-peel, bananas which I continued to consume daily for months despite the bellyache they dependably would cause.

I'm not as weird now.
Old 03-03-2017, 10:06 AM

One of the most common myths: Lima Beans taste good.
Old 03-03-2017, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DinoR View Post
The 5, 10, 20, or more pounds of undigested meat that is in every non-vegetarians colon.
I thought Judge Reinhold improvised that for Beverly Hills Cop. People actually believe that?
Old 03-03-2017, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinastasia View Post
That's not entirely a myth. Green bananas can be over 50% resistant starch, most of which is undigestable and passes to the bowel, where it is consumed by the gut biota. Their waste products include methane and carbon dioxide, explaining the rumbling tummies.

Interestingly, the gut biota that relies on soluble fiber/resistant starch has become been the focus of recent research. It may very well be that deliberately cultivating and feeding said gut biota with resistant starch may lead to better health outcomes (lower insulin resistance, less bowel inflammation, etc).
Old 03-03-2017, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriPolar View Post
One of the most common myths: Lima Beans taste good.
You've never had them prepared properly; slow cook for a goodly amount of time with some kinda pork product.

Or, throw in some corn for succotash.

Mmmmmm...limas.
Old 03-03-2017, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erysichthon View Post
Actually, I've used that excuse too—thinking "this will toughen up my immune system" as I pick up a Flaming Hot Cheeto from the carpet and pop it into my mouth.

I always say "I'm cultivating a rich and diverse microbiome".

Quote:
Originally Posted by snfaulkner View Post
This one is from my high school girlfriend's uber religiously stupid parents: Don't cook anything in the microwave because it makes the atoms spin backwards which WILL give you cancer.
My mom told us never to stand close to the microwave while it was on. Turns out, if it isn't actually cooking you, it's not harming you at all. Just like a regular oven.

Furthermore, I had a girlfriend who was deadly serious about not microwaving anything plastic, because it would leech into your food and kill you. The same girlfriend who told me teflon was poisonous and our flaking teflon pans were killing us. (It's inert and harmless, though by the time the teflon flakes off, the pan is basically worthless and should be replaced.)

Did anybody tell you as a kid that watching too much TV would "fry your eyes like bacon"? Bacon eyes sounded cool though and I always kind of wanted them. Mmm, bacon eyes!
Old 03-03-2017, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
That, per ounce, Coca Cola contains more sugar than Special K.
I might be misunderstanding this one. A cup of Special K has 23g of carbs, of which 4g are sugars. Eight ounces of Coke has 26g of carbs, of which 26g are sugars. I admit my understanding of the distinction between "carbs" and "sugars" is hazy at best. Are you saying, essentially, carbs is carbs?

Last edited by Defensive Indifference; 03-03-2017 at 11:07 AM.
Old 03-03-2017, 12:11 PM

starches are long chains of sugar molecules, and many (most?) are broken down by the body into glucose.
Old 03-03-2017, 12:21 PM
Charter Member

Warm bread will give you a stomach ache. This was my mother in her attempts to keep my father and I from butchering her fresh-baked loaves.

Eating raw cookie dough will give you worms. Really, mom? Sugar, butter, flour and egg will give me worms? Salmonella, maybe.
Old 03-03-2017, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jz78817 View Post
starches are long chains of sugar molecules, and many (most?) are broken down by the body into glucose.
OK. Still confessing my ignorance here. Is that nutritionally equivalent to taking a nice long sip of corn syrup?
Old 03-03-2017, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayard View Post
OK. Still confessing my ignorance here. Is that nutritionally equivalent to taking a nice long sip of corn syrup?
in terms of calorie intake? Yes, I believe so. supposedly it won't enter your bloodstream as quickly (glycemic index.)
Old 03-05-2017, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaper View Post
Yeah, I think there the rub is ...
"sauce is a myth"
Old 03-05-2017, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayard View Post
I might be misunderstanding this one. A cup of Special K has 23g of carbs, of which 4g are sugars. Eight ounces of Coke has 26g of carbs, of which 26g are sugars. I admit my understanding of the distinction between "carbs" and "sugars" is hazy at best. Are you saying, essentially, carbs is carbs?
A cup of Special K only weighs 31 grams (about one ounce).
Old 03-05-2017, 08:50 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by burpo the wonder mutt View Post
How did Mikey get Pop Rocks in Vietnam?
Probably from Eddie Haskell.
Old 03-05-2017, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponch8 View Post
A cup of Special K only weighs 31 grams (about one ounce).
I was going by volume. The Coke measures were for 8 fluid ounces
Old 03-05-2017, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulykamell View Post
There may be a small grain of truth to that. And I've encountered hot drinks in hot climates fairly commonly. Indians, in particularly, seemed to be very fond of that. Found the same in Central Asia.
Wow, Cliff Clavin was right!
The one I have is pretty bizarre; that if you give food to someone who hasn't eaten in a while and don't give them anything to drink, it will probably kill them. My mom was fond of this idea, and even claimed a relative inadvertantly killed someone this way.
Old 03-06-2017, 03:13 PM

Mom always told me eating raw potatoes would give me worms; turns out not so much. Same with the raw cookie dough.

I love all the juice/detox pseudoscience, especially when I need a good chuckle.
Old 03-06-2017, 07:06 PM

"Beer tastes good."
Old 03-06-2017, 08:56 PM
Charter Member

Eating uncooked hot dogs will kill you. Or give you a dangerous dose of food poisoning.
Old 03-06-2017, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yllaria View Post
Eating uncooked hot dogs will kill you. Or give you a dangerous dose of food poisoning.
It is possible get Listeria from uncooked hot dogs.

Last edited by wolfman; 03-06-2017 at 09:42 PM.
Old 03-06-2017, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfman View Post
Or from bologna, but in both cases, it's not a typical thing by any means. One time there was a recall of Winn-Dixie bologna because of possible Listeria contamination. I had to take back an unopened one-pound package and the few slices left in another package for a refund. I guess my packages weren't bad. If eating unheated hot dogs out of the package was dangerous, I wouldn't have made it out of elementary school. They were my favorite!

Last edited by california jobcase; 03-06-2017 at 10:35 PM.
Old 03-06-2017, 10:35 PM

I keep hearing people say that green bell peppers are non-poisonous and taste good.
Old 03-07-2017, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kath94 View Post
My husband STILL says this, although I have to believe he's being sarcastic.
Where do his testicles rank, size-wise, with past boyfriends?
Old 03-07-2017, 01:33 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfman View Post
Or any deli meats. It's not something I'd worry about.
Old 03-07-2017, 02:44 AM

And don't open the microwave door as soon as it turns off. There are still microwaves bouncing around inside, and if they escape through the open door they can sterilize you.
Old 03-07-2017, 05:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WOOKINPANUB View Post
I get all of this except the mayo. I don't eat it myself so never paid that much attention, but isn't it lethal if it goes bad? Of course, that's probably the myth part.
I wanted to mention that we in foodservice can get bulk mayonnaise from Sysco in two packaging formats: sealed 30-pound buckets, or a cardboard box lined with a plastic bag containing the 30# of mayo, and the plastic bag is not sealed. Both are delivered unrefrigerated, and can be stored unrefrigerated. The bucket packaging is preferred, because hey, free buckets, and it's easier to scrape the last of the mayo out of a bucket than to squeeze it out of a big plastic bag.

The "unrefrigerated" part only becomes a hassle when we end up with a substitute driver who delivers it directly to the kitchen, and we're left to pack 150 pounds of mayonnaise back down to the downstairs walk-in cooler that the driver passed on his way to the elevator.
Old 03-07-2017, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCAdian View Post
"Beer tastes good."
This is, indeed, a myth. The fact is that "Beer tastes AWESOME."
Old 03-07-2017, 12:40 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jz78817 View Post
I haven't heard it in a long time, but there were some in my grandparents' generation who believed swallowing chewing gum would lead to appendicitis.
No, it's biting your fingernails and swallowing them that gives you appendicitis.

In fact, when doctors remove an inflamed appendix, they shake it. If it rattles like maracas, then the doctor knows it was fingernails that caused the problem, and not something else.

Glad to clear that up.
Old 03-07-2017, 01:06 PM
Charter Member

Mom said drinking milk while eating fish would give you a terrible stomach problem and maybe kill you,
Old 03-07-2017, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burpo the wonder mutt View Post
You've never had them prepared properly; slow cook for a goodly amount of time with some kinda pork product.

Or, throw in some corn for succotash.

Mmmmmm...limas.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnoitall View Post
This is, indeed, a myth. The fact is that "Beer tastes AWESOME."
These two posts demonstrate how persistent these food myths can be. Lima beans taste like shit, and beer tastes worse than lima beans.
Old 03-07-2017, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriPolar View Post
These two posts demonstrate how persistent these food myths can be. Lima beans taste like shit, and beer tastes worse than lima beans.
Make you a deal: You have some limas from my favorite fish restaurant, and I'll try anything (non-spicy--tummy issues) you love that I hate (think sauerkraut, Brussel sprouts, cauliflower). Or, we can just sit around and disparage beer (not a fan, either).
Old 03-07-2017, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by installLSC View Post
The one I have is pretty bizarre; that if you give food to someone who hasn't eaten in a while and don't give them anything to drink, it will probably kill them. My mom was fond of this idea, and even claimed a relative inadvertantly killed someone this way.
Another one with a tiny grain of truth, but that got really distorted along the way.

Refeeding Syndrome is a condition that happens when people who have been seriously starved or malnourished start being fed. Apparently it causes metabolic disturbances that can cause fatal cardiac arrythmias.

But it's not "a while"- it's like Bataan Death March or Nazi concentration camp type starvation that causes it.

Last edited by bump; 03-07-2017 at 02:15 PM.
Old 03-07-2017, 09:20 PM

"Chocolate milk has no nutritional value whatsoever, because although the milk itself contains calcium, there is something in the chocolate that completely neutralizes the calcium. Therefore, chocolate milk is purely bad for everybody. Unlike regular milk."
Old 03-07-2017, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bump View Post
Another one with a tiny grain of truth, but that got really distorted along the way.

Refeeding Syndrome is a condition that happens when people who have been seriously starved or malnourished start being fed. Apparently it causes metabolic disturbances that can cause fatal cardiac arrythmias.

But it's not "a while"- it's like Bataan Death March or Nazi concentration camp type starvation that causes it.
Which makes me think of "Rabbit Starvation."
Old 03-07-2017, 11:25 PM

Quite seriously, I was surprised yesterday to read that there is no science to support the contention that bananas solve magnesium deficiencies.
Old 03-07-2017, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DinoR View Post
If food has that little organic certification on it that means no pesticides were used growing it. There's actually a list of approved natural pesticides for the US certification. Some of that list, like Rotenone and Azadirachtin, are worse than most of their non-naturally occurring competitors.
To add to that, the notion that organic foods are somehow more nutritious and "healthy" than their conventionally grown counterparts.
Old 03-08-2017, 04:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCnDC View Post
The problem with mayonnaise (one of them, at least) is people contaminate the jar by sticking their utensil into it, spreading it on something, then sticking that same utensil back in the jar with crumbs and shit still on it.
Yeah, I'm reasonably sure if your utensil has shit on it you shouldn't put it in any jars
Old 03-08-2017, 11:08 PM

5 second rule is not a myth although it is misunderstood. It applies to social judgement not to sanitation.