Old 08-26-2017, 10:04 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quimby View Post
I read a review today (can't link at the moment) that said that while Fox is trying to promote this as a joke filled parody, the actual show is more straight sci fi with comedic moments. That actually makes it more interesting to me.
This is like the opposite of what they did Firefly. I forget the print ad, but they advertised it as a "jokey funny space crew" show instead of a funny real science fiction show.
Old 08-28-2017, 11:59 AM
SDSAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by friedo View Post
I believe you mean Dr. Bashir's dad from DS9 is in it.
Right you are: http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Richard_Bashir

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaoPilot View Post
I imagine you're thinking of the scene with the Klingon ship in ST 6, but there was at least one other zero gravity scene, in an early episode of DS9, where Bashir has a relationship with a woman from a low gravity world who likes to turn the gravity off in her quarters.
There was also a scene on VGR where the ship's artificial gravity field failed. I remember Tuvok starting to slowly drift upward with a bemused expression.
Old 08-28-2017, 12:36 PM

I've set it up to tape. September 10!
Old 08-28-2017, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elendil's Heir View Post
There was also a scene on VGR where the ship's artificial gravity field failed. I remember Tuvok starting to slowly drift upward with a bemused expression.
It actually took more than a simple Google search to find. The episode was "Prey." Artificial gravity was intentionally turned off by the species 8472 intruder, as they can apparently walk on surfaces without the use of gravity. (It also turns off the artificial atmosphere.) Not only did Tuvok bemusedly float, but Paris was shot and stunned and left floating lifelessly (except his boots which were magnetically locked). It looked cool.

The theory is that it is in the deck plating, and that the failure state is actually on, not off. Hence why gravity never gets turned off by an attack. Official canon says they continue working for a while after shut off, but will eventually run out of energy.
Old 08-28-2017, 01:31 PM
Sith Mod

Quote:
Right you are: http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Richard_Bashir

There was also that scene in First Contact where they fight a couple Borg drones on the outside of the Enterprise, and Worf throws an assimilated crew member off the hull.
Old 08-28-2017, 02:12 PM

Also Spock's space walk in TMP.

As far as this show. I'm not a fan of McFarlane and I find it infuriating when he does something like Cosmos. We watched that but otherwise, his shows are persona non grata in my house.
Old 08-28-2017, 03:27 PM

Fox's current plan for the first two episodes is, each will air on Sunday (9/10 and 9/17), and will air nationwide simultaneously, after that day's NFL coverage - 8 Eastern, 7 Central, 6 Mountain, 5 Pacific. Either they really want people to see it, or they realize that it's a turkey and want to prop up the ratings so they can come close to what they promised the advertisers.

In addition, in the Pacific time zone, each episode will air a second time at 8:00, resulting in the pre-emption of repeats of The Simpsons and Family Guy that will air after The Orville in the rest of the country that night.
Old 08-28-2017, 03:37 PM

Oh, I thought somebody said it would only be on CBS all-access, but I guess that's Star Trek Discovery.
Old 09-10-2017, 07:37 PM
Charter Member

Been seeing adverts for this all during the 9er game today. Looks awful.
Old 09-10-2017, 08:30 PM
Charter Member

I've read two "professional" reviews. Both said it was too serious to be played for laughs and had too many stupid things in it to be taken seriously.

After 30 minutes, I agree.

It does look cool, though.
Old 09-10-2017, 09:08 PM

I haven't read the thread, so forgive me if I repeat. I have to say I was pleasantly surprised by The Orville. I expected Family Guy in space, but this was a lot closer to A Million Ways to Die in the West. There was an actual plot, and the ending was...interesting. Not particularly realistic the way it happened, but overall I liked it.
Old 09-10-2017, 09:08 PM

I thought it was fun, but I don't see it getting a back nine either. Granted it could surprise everyone and turn out to be the 30 Rock to Star Trek: Discovery's Studio 60.

Last edited by alphaboi867; 09-10-2017 at 09:09 PM.
Old 09-10-2017, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Ace View Post
I haven't read the thread, so forgive me if I repeat. I have to say I was pleasantly surprised by The Orville. I expected Family Guy in space, but this was a lot closer to A Million Ways to Die in the West. There was an actual plot, and the ending was...interesting. Not particularly realistic the way it happened, but overall I liked it.
Missed the edit window:

And Captain Ed's ex is gorgeous.

I noticed Larry's secretary from The Larry Sanders Show, and Geoffrey Tambor shows up in the preview of the next episode (of Transparent fame, as well as Larry Sanders).

Last edited by Johnny Ace; 09-10-2017 at 09:18 PM.
Old 09-10-2017, 09:14 PM
Charter Member

I saw quite a few review summaries saying it was awful so I came in with low expectations.
I didn't find it awful, though I did not find it very funny either.
"Competent but jokey" is done way better on Brooklyn 99

Brian
Old 09-10-2017, 09:20 PM

A lot better than I expected. Partly because I have a very low opinion of Mcfarlane lately, but the clever:stupid ratio was good enough to give it chance for a bit.
Old 09-10-2017, 09:58 PM
Charter Member

Just finished watching it and I thoroughly enjoyed it. Comedy aside, it really feels like Star Trek with modern-day CGI and a decent budget.
Old 09-10-2017, 10:28 PM
SDSAB

Saw it and liked it, although I wasn't blown away by it. Not as consistently funny as, say, Galaxy Quest. The robot sounds a lot like Brent Spiner, but Wiki says it isn't. Favorite line: "You want to open this jar of pickles for me?" I'll keep watching.
Old 09-10-2017, 10:28 PM

I liked it enough to keep watching. I agree with every review that said it was warmed over Star Trek but at this point that's good enough for me.
Old 09-10-2017, 10:39 PM

Quote:
And Captain Ed's ex is gorgeous.
Oh God, yes! Lots more of her, please!
Old 09-10-2017, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Favorite line: "You want to open this jar of pickles for me?"
I loosened it for you.

I thought the pilot was pretty enjoyable. It's definitely going to take them a little while to nail the right comedy:drama ratio, and to figure out what kind of jokes work well in the live-action, sci-fi setting. I thought the drunk shuttle pilot, holodeck ogre, and "anti-banana ray" gags worked brilliantly. OTOH, the bad-guy-awkwardly-framed-on-the-viewscreen joke was a miss. It even sounded like something Brian Griffin would say. Seth needs to be careful to make sure his captain character is actually well defined and does not succumb to jokes of opportunity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaboi867
Granted it could surprise everyone and turn out to be the 30 Rock to Star Trek: Discovery's Studio 60.
I mentioned this exact comparison to my Trek nerd friends after seeing the (very funny, I thought) trailer for The Orville shortly after the very muddled, WTF-ridden trailer for ST Discovery. I'm still holding out hope, though. Even if it is just another shitty prequel.
Old 09-10-2017, 11:23 PM

Lots of wasted space on board that starship, especially on the bridge. But at least there's no third chair for a counselor to sit in and look bored.
Old 09-10-2017, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by friedo View Post
I believe you mean Dr. Bashir's dad from DS9 is in it.
Or Raj's father from Big Bang Theory.
Old 09-10-2017, 11:33 PM

Anybody else pick up on the word "magnanimous"?
Old 09-10-2017, 11:36 PM

Havent seen it, but it can't possibly be worse than "Encounter at Farpoint"...by definition the next eps cant be worse than "The Naked Now" or the planet of the "No caffiene, never had it, never will"
Old 09-11-2017, 12:20 AM
Mere Member

I enjoyed it and will keep watching. I'm glad to not be disappointed. The reviews I read were pretty harsh and they now seem like huge overreactions.

Some of the humor was kind of eye-rolling (the dog licking his balls), but I loved the part about seat belts.
Old 09-11-2017, 02:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Sams View Post
Havent seen it, but it can't possibly be worse than "Encounter at Farpoint"...by definition the next eps cant be worse than "The Naked Now" or the planet of the "No caffiene, never had it, never will"
Yeah, that was Roddenberry at his sappiest. Of course, I'd been so Trek-starved for so long, with a couple of bright flashes (STII and III), that I almost tolerated it. And it did get better.

I hope this one at least gets the chance. MacFarlane has mostly had the Midas touch, at least as far as successful productions are concerned. That might carry enough weight with the suits. Then again, maybe not...
Old 09-11-2017, 08:15 AM

Surprised at the high production values. Wasn't nearly so funny as trailers suggested. A few non-family-friendly words (not any deal for me, YMMV). I was kind of sickened by the "joke" about drunk driving. Who thought that was funny?
Old 09-11-2017, 08:43 AM

Quote:
I'm not a fan of Seth's other work (family guy mostly) and when I finally saw Million Ways to Die in the West, I was surprised on two fronts. One, overall it wasn't as bad as I was expecting. It didn't devolve into the humor I don't like. Two, while many of the best jokes were in trailers, it still had some other good things in it that I enjoyed.

And that sums up The Orville for me. Lots of potential that I hope gets realized.
Old 09-11-2017, 08:46 AM

The background music is very reminiscent of ST:NG. I will have to check online for the connections, and what else the music people did. That sort of thing feels like home.

There are cheezy bits. Hopefully, people see it as not taking itself too seriously, and like that sort of thing. Compare other shows that poke their finger at the fourth-wall. You either like that or you don't.

The CGI for the ship battle was very impressive. The sort of thing Next Gen could only afford once and a while, was sustained for a long time. I do hope Discovery has that sort of thing in its budget, or else they're going to be the ones who look derivative.

No transporters. Thankfully. Shuttle scenes were historically prohibitively expensive (hey, that killed V back in the '80's.) Seems like the shuttle use is going to be pretty seamless if they have to reuse footage to save money.

I had fun. And remember: The series is done and in the tins. If FOX keeps it on the air for all episodes, I can be entertained. Next Gen took a couple of seasons to hit its stride. We'll see if this one has its staying power.

Last edited by Arkcon; 09-11-2017 at 08:46 AM.
Old 09-11-2017, 08:52 AM
KB not found. Press any key
Charter Member

I liked it. I hope it does well.
Old 09-11-2017, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkcon View Post
No transporters. Thankfully.
That was the first thing I noticed. Feels odd somehow.

But then, Enterprise got along fairly well without them too.

Last edited by terentii; 09-11-2017 at 09:49 AM.
Old 09-11-2017, 09:50 AM
Charter Member

I thought it was OK, and I'm willing to give it a shot especially since, unlike the new Star Trek show, I don't need to pay extra to watch it. (There are way too many streaming services out there, and way too many television programs.) Plus the trailers for the new Star Trek series suggest that it's going to very serious and pretentious. Even if this show wasn't a laugh-a-minute comedy, at least it doesn't take itself too seriously.
Old 09-11-2017, 09:58 AM

Quote:
I expected Family Guy in space, but this was a lot closer to A Million Ways to Die in the West.
I wouldn't have imagined someone framing this as a positive.
Old 09-11-2017, 10:14 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by terentii View Post
That was the first thing I noticed. Feels odd somehow.

But then, Enterprise got along fairly well without them too.
OTOH, transporters are a setup for humor.
Old 09-11-2017, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnivorousplant View Post
OTOH, transporters are a setup for humor.
Like here (scroll down):

http://imgur.com/gallery/QNfDT

"Here---let me help you pull yourself together!"
Old 09-11-2017, 10:30 AM

Quote:
The series is done and in the tins.
In the can. In Hollywood, they say it's in the can.
Old 09-11-2017, 10:38 AM

Wife and I caught this last night, she really enjoyed it. Me, not so much. I was confused - I kept thinking, "is this a comedy or a drama?" Still not sure of the show's identity - is it supposed to a comedic version of Star Trek?
Old 09-11-2017, 11:01 AM

Quote:
In the can. In Hollywood, they say it's in the can.
I started to write that, but then I wrote 'tins' somehow figuring it had to be plural. The CGI takes a while to add, and Wikipedia already has the directors and guest stars named by episode. If the ratings are awful, and Simpsons and Family Guy reruns are way better for revenue, then Fox can kill it and we all wait for streaming or Netflix (do people still do that? Or Redbox? Somthin' like that?) Otherwise, we get to see all the visions they had for Seth MacFarlane's acting, where this ex-wife storyline is going to go, what secrets each bridge crewmember has, which jokes will just fall flat, and which will be "A-ha, Clever.)

Here's an aside: Remember the Next Gen episode, where Q sent everyone into a Robin Hood reality? I was watching it at college, and everyone went "Aw. Copying the new Kevin Coster movie just out now." And I believed them. Which is silly. The episode had to have been written a year and half before, filmed a year before, then the CGI phasers added in. Someone in this thread will soon say --"Ah, see, they improved that character, just like I said they had to, Fox must have laid down the law" And that's a -- Nope, not until next season statement.
Old 09-11-2017, 11:30 AM

Quote:
I started to write that, but then I wrote 'tins' somehow figuring it had to be plural.
Tuna comes in tins.
Old 09-11-2017, 11:39 AM

Watched it without seeing any previews, so had no pre-conceptions about it. my thoughts:

* It's trying to combine comedy (at times slipping into farce) with a solid dramatic story. Last SF I remember doing that was a movie called "Ice Pirates" (anybody old enough to remember that film?). It's a tough act to do, and some of the jokes weren't funny and seemed out of place (the XO/ex-wife jokes wore out in the second act)

* The story moved at a very fast pace and I wonder if they'll be able to do some character development in the later episodes without getting too silly.

* Just my own complaint (which includes almost all spaceship adventures). Somehow the Navies and ships and captains of the future have somehow forgot how ships are really run, something we've been working at since Salamis.

I'll probably watch it next week, but the jury is still out.
Old 09-11-2017, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jophiel View Post
I wouldn't have imagined someone framing this as a positive.
That point wasn't particularly positive or negative. It had to do with the structure and the fact that it's at least as much an attempt at serious homage as at comedy, which many of the reviewers seem to see as a negative.

But I did like A Million Ways to Die in the West. I'm a sucker for Charlize.

(Who will eventually appear in the series, probably just in one episode.)

Last edited by Johnny Ace; 09-11-2017 at 11:51 AM.
Old 09-11-2017, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Stainless Steel Rat View Post
* Just my own complaint (which includes almost all spaceship adventures). Somehow the Navies and ships and captains of the future have somehow forgot how ships are really run, something we've been working at since Salamis.
Not interesting to the average run of viewer. TNG did it fairly well, though, as far as the way Picard and others exercised authority.
Old 09-11-2017, 12:05 PM

I honestly am not sure what to think of this. It wasn't awful, but lord, it wasn't great either. I think the script needed more polishing -- parts of it were just clumsy as hell, and I'm not 100% sure of the casting/crew composition. My favorite part of the pilot was the scene where Ed runs through the jello creature. And, while telegraphed from a long ways off, the way they fought off the alien ship was rather amusing.

I guess I'll give it time to find its stride. Although it's not on a network that's known for letting that happen.
Old 09-11-2017, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Stainless Steel Rat View Post
Last SF I remember doing that was a movie called "Ice Pirates" (anybody old enough to remember that film?).
Gil Gerrard and Mary Crosby?

Wasn't it the first movie to use lots of CGI, way back in '78 or '79?
Old 09-11-2017, 12:11 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finagle View Post
I guess I'll give it time to find its stride. Although it's not on a network that's known for letting that happen.
Except that Fox would probably do more for Seth MacFarlane, given his success on the network, than they would for any other random show runner.
Old 09-11-2017, 01:25 PM

I'm sure a lot of it was just establishing the universe, but they seemed to spend a lot of time with swelling orchestral scores while showing scenery.

Oh, and that porthole on the roof of the bridge seems like a real bad idea.

Last edited by Folacin; 09-11-2017 at 01:25 PM.
Old 09-11-2017, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Folacin View Post
I'm sure a lot of it was just establishing the universe, but they seemed to spend a lot of time with swelling orchestral scores while showing scenery.

The first shot of the original pilot of Star Trek is literally the camera going through a window in the ceiling of the bridge like that
Old 09-11-2017, 01:53 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Folacin View Post
Isn't that from the first TOS pilot?

dammit!

Last edited by carnivorousplant; 09-11-2017 at 01:54 PM.
Old 09-11-2017, 02:03 PM
Corellian Nerfherder

Quote:
Gil Gerrard and Mary Crosby?

Wasn't it the first movie to use lots of CGI, way back in '78 or '79?
Robert Urich, along with Mary Crosby, actually. And, believe it or not, from 1984.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0087451/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1
Old 09-11-2017, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenobi 65 View Post
Robert Urich, along with Mary Crosby, actually. And, believe it or not, from 1984.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0087451/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1
Wow, that late? I remember it coming out soon after the original Star Wars, but I guess Mary was at the height of her fame in '84, after her role as Sue Ellen's sister on Dallas.

I never did get around to seeing the movie, but I remember the advertisements for it, and her starring along with some guy on a current TV show of medium-level popularity.