Old 09-11-2017, 02:28 PM
SDSAB

Nice to see a futuristic NYC agleam. Great sfx of the starship. I especially liked the cute, spunky, superstrong security chief.

Here's NPR's overly-harsh (IMHO) review: http://www.npr.org/sections/monkeyse...-s-the-orville

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnivorousplant View Post
OTOH, transporters are a setup for humor.
"Very funny, Scotty. Now beam down my clothes."

Quote:
Originally Posted by terentii View Post
Tuna comes in tins.
So it does: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...ItSaysOnTheTin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finagle View Post
...I guess I'll give it time to find its stride. Although it's not on a network that's known for letting that happen.
Love it!
Old 09-11-2017, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quimby View Post
The first shot of the original pilot of Star Trek is literally the camera going through a window in the ceiling of the bridge like that
In TOS, the upper dome of the saucer housed a sensor array and was "transparent to all forms of electromagnetic radiation." How they were able to see through the array into the bridge, I've never been able to figure out.

In TAS, the ceiling of the bridge was shown to house an automatic defense system, installed I guess after the Eymorg stole Spock's brain.

In TNG, I believe there was a skylight on the bridge that always showed black whenever the camera was at an angle to see it.
Old 09-11-2017, 03:23 PM

Absolutely nothing like I expected & looked forward to. The previews were terribly deceiving.

The previews and Seth's other work, indicated this.
https://goo.gl/images/r9Z9m3

Instead we get an odd Sci Fi show that throws in humor, almost like an after thought.

I might have enjoyed it more if my hopes weren't raised for a madcap parody.

I'll continue to watching. See how the show develops. I wouldn't be surprised if they dump the humor. It really seemed a bit forced and doesn't work in a show that takes itself too seriously.

Last edited by aceplace57; 09-11-2017 at 03:28 PM.
Old 09-11-2017, 04:07 PM
Corellian Nerfherder

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceplace57 View Post
I wouldn't be surprised if they dump the humor. It really seemed a bit forced and doesn't work in a show that takes itself too seriously.
I'd be very surprised if they *did* drop the humor...it's Seth MacFarlane, and he's been involved in very few non-comedy projects (notably, he was a producer on Neil deGrasse Tyson's "Cosmos," and recorded three albums of swing music).
Old 09-11-2017, 04:10 PM
SDSAB

Yeah, if anything, I think they might try to make it funnier and ditch any semblance of playing it straight.
Old 09-11-2017, 04:12 PM
Corellian Nerfherder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elendil's Heir View Post
Yeah, if anything, I think they might try to make it funnier and ditch any semblance of playing it straight.
Exactly. OTOH, given the long production lead-times on this sort of show, it also wouldn't surprise me if Fox just kills it, if the ratings don't look good after a half-season.
Old 09-11-2017, 05:02 PM

I liked it. But then I guess I had accurately guessed what mix of humor/serious drama it would be, so my expectations were pretty much spot on. It's going to have some goofy humor in it, because that's what Seth M. does. And I knew it was going to be a little bit serious sci-fi because apparently Seth M. has always been a huge fan of the genre and the chance to do this show is a lifelong dream.

Only thing I hate is the time slot. Following football on FOX means you can't really count on it actually starting on time if the games run long. And that screws up my TIVO. Dammit.
Old 09-11-2017, 06:28 PM
I'm nice, dammit!
Charter Member

I was never a fan of the Star Trek franchise, altho I've seen a lot of the shows since my husband controls the remote. I was hoping this series would be more fun than it was but I expect to see more, due to the aforementioned remote controller. If it gets better, great. If not, no biggie to me.
Old 09-11-2017, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkcon View Post
Here's an aside: Remember the Next Gen episode, where Q sent everyone into a Robin Hood reality? I was watching it at college, and everyone went "Aw. Copying the new Kevin Coster movie just out now." And I believed them. Which is silly. The episode had to have been written a year and half before, filmed a year before, then the CGI phasers added in. Someone in this thread will soon say --"Ah, see, they improved that character, just like I said they had to, Fox must have laid down the law" And that's a -- Nope, not until next season statement.
What? Broadcast TV doesn't have production schedules anywhere near that long. "Qpid" was shot in February 1991 and aired in April. US TV doesn't wait till they've shot the entire season before they start broadcasting. And yes, they really did make it a Robin Hood episode because of the Kevin Costner film.
Old 09-11-2017, 07:31 PM

5 episodes will air. Tries to be funny when it shouldn't in ways it shouldn't. Can't not be funny because that's what Mr. McFarlane is always trying to be.
Old 09-11-2017, 08:21 PM

As with the reboot ST movies...I'm sure a lot of Star Trek people right now are saying "Christ if we could have had THAT much money for the show!!?"
Old 09-11-2017, 08:46 PM

I liked the first episode. "Happy Arbor Day", hee.

Anyone else notice that DS9's Kasidy Yates is the doctor?
Old 09-11-2017, 09:24 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekedolphin View Post
Anyone else notice that DS9's Kasidy Yates is the doctor?
I recognized her as Sherry Palmer, myself.
Old 09-11-2017, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smapti View Post
I recognized her as Sherry Palmer, myself.
Yeah! Dennis Haysbert gave us Barack Obama.

I've seen worse. Shit, I've seen worse Star Trek. I'm happily back next week. Then there's Adrianne Palicki. Great-grandpa had a taste for Norwegian girls, which I share, but I married a Polack-based mutt.
posted by logicpunk at 10:07 AM on December 20, 2007 [3 favorites]
Old 09-11-2017, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceplace57 View Post
I'll continue to watching. See how the show develops. I wouldn't be surprised if they dump the humor. It really seemed a bit forced and doesn't work in a show that takes itself too seriously.
Quote:

I posted this thought on another message board:

And while amusing, I didn't think it was laugh out loud funny, and I think that may be deliberate. Seth MacFarlane is known for his comedy, and it may be that posing this as a comedy is the only way he could get it green-lit. But if you look beyond the obvious laugh lines, what we had was a pretty solid SF episode, that introduced some interesting possibilities.

SPOILER:
Take a look at the Banana ray and the redwood seeds. The way they combined to make the Super Weapon that saved the day was clever, and worthy of a more serious show. It also showed that the crew, while being goofballs, are also on the ball, so to speak.

So, might we see this evolve into a more serious SF story line, with the humour coming at a less-Seth MacFarlane pace, and a more-Joss Whedon pace?
Old 09-11-2017, 09:51 PM
Charter Member

Just finished watching it. Not bad, but not particularly good. A few funny lines (liked the seat belt metajoke), but the story was strictly routine.

I'll give it a second look.
"If a person saying he was something was all there was to it, this country'd be full of rich men and good-looking women. Too bad it isn't that easy.... In short, when someone else says you're a writer, that's when you're a writer... not before."
Purveyor of fine science fiction since 1982.
Old 09-11-2017, 09:58 PM
KB not found. Press any key
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horatius View Post
a more-Joss Whedon pace?
Don't even think that. We would get a post menarche heroine who saves the day and the show will revolve around her.
Old 09-11-2017, 10:11 PM
Charter Member

Rotten Tomatoes has it at 17% with critics vs. 90% with viewers.

Interesting divide, but hopefully this means the show has enough goodwill thus far to keep it from getting Fireflied.

Last edited by Smapti; 09-11-2017 at 10:12 PM.
Old 09-11-2017, 10:13 PM

Quote:
...No transporters. Thankfully. Shuttle scenes were historically prohibitively expensive (hey, that killed V back in the '80's.) Seems like the shuttle use is going to be pretty seamless if they have to reuse footage to save money...
Either that or just have most of the shuttle trips down to a planet's surface take place off-screen, which didn't occur to Roddenberry until after he came up with the transporters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Folacin View Post
...Oh, and that porthole on the roof of the bridge seems like a real bad idea.
The bridge being on top of the ship is a really bad idea for a starship. Ditto for huge windows all over the hull.
Old 09-11-2017, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horatius View Post
SPOILER:
Take a look at the Banana ray and the redwood seeds. The way they combined to make the Super Weapon that saved the day was clever, and worthy of a more serious show. It also showed that the crew, while being goofballs, are also on the ball, so to speak.
It's a total cliche, but my Boy Scout patrol was totally like that, mostly before it became a meme. I can relate.
posted by logicpunk at 10:07 AM on December 20, 2007 [3 favorites]
Old 09-11-2017, 10:44 PM

Couple of things

I thought this was the anti-trek, and would love to hear George Takei's views on the show. Pretty certain the Oh My's would have been coming fast and furious.

Concidering how well the effects were, I would have been curious to see what would have happened if they did the show straight.

So far of all the cast, only Adrienne Paliki really appeals to me and thats the prob. I would prefer this show tanks, so that she goes back to Agent of Shield.
Old 09-12-2017, 01:34 AM
Mere Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnivorousplant View Post
Don't even think that. We would get a post menarche heroine who saves the day and the show will revolve around her.
The horror.
Old 09-12-2017, 02:03 AM

I quite enjoyed it. The humor is a bit weird, and I prefer the more subtle ones parts and not where it breaks the narrative (like the villain on the viewscreen).

There wasn't really any substance beyond the relationship stuff, but that's okay. And they really did not get the stakes quite right in the commercial breaks. But it worked okay.

Though it's a trip going back to muting and doing something else while waiting for the ads to go away. Still, I want this show to succeed, and I've heard it's got a lot of bad reviews, so I'm trying to support them.

I hope the show gets a bit more science fiction underpinnings as it goes, and doesn't do narrative breaking gags. But it has a lot of potential. In just a short period, it already seems far more like Star Trek then what they've described for Discovery. It just feel like they're new at it.
Old 09-12-2017, 05:01 AM

From the commercials, I assumed the robot-looking guy was a robot, and the Data parody. Interesting that it is instead a super-xenophobic alien. (Still seems to be the Data/Spock parody, though.)
Old 09-12-2017, 06:43 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren Garrison View Post
From the commercials, I assumed the robot-looking guy was a robot, and the Data parody. Interesting that it is instead a super-xenophobic alien. (Still seems to be the Data/Spock parody, though.)
I think the robot IS a robot. The robots think all organic life forms are inferior.

Brian
Old 09-12-2017, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftfield6 View Post
Only thing I hate is the time slot. Following football on FOX means you can't really count on it actually starting on time if the games run long. And that screws up my TIVO. Dammit.
There's another thread on this topic, involving Heidi, for some reason.

Years ago, I used to warn people NOT to put a show on Fox, for just that reason. Well, tell people who would listen, mostly, I don't actually know anyone who'd be in a position to pitch a TV show anyway.

In those days I wanted to see The Simpsons, Family Guy, Bob's Burgers and other cartoons. I wanted that Space: Above and Beyond would just end and let a Simpson episode appear, but it was often preempted by a game. I never watched Firefly because I knew preempting would happen.

Anyway, football on Fox is now under control. The OT frequently mentioned that Seth MacFarlane's new series was coming up. Fox has carefully worked game start time, and has The OT under control. I definitely noticed that there was less commentary to save time.

'Course, that just flies out the window with Nascar. They weren't under control at all last time I checked. Race is over, rambling interviews, and the, 15 minutes into the next time slot -- is it time to wrap it up? Nope, time for another rambling interview.

Still. If this works well enough. Fox can try to rein in this sort of thing just for this show.
Old 09-12-2017, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WotNot View Post
What? Broadcast TV doesn't have production schedules anywhere near that long. "Qpid" was shot in February 1991 and aired in April. US TV doesn't wait till they've shot the entire season before they start broadcasting. And yes, they really did make it a Robin Hood episode because of the Kevin Costner film.
I really don't know how long it takes to CGI in the phaser blasts. And of course, "Riding the donkey" and related shots maybe all that's "in the can." And the rest can be acted out, later, or not if the series tanks. But from the Wikipedia episode guide, its seems like a lot of the way the series is going to go is defined.

Last edited by Arkcon; 09-12-2017 at 08:51 AM.
Old 09-12-2017, 09:14 AM

I saw this for the first time the other night. Good parts but a lot of bad parts...get their crap together and it could be a good laugh once a week
Old 09-12-2017, 09:23 AM

Quote:
I read a review today (can't link at the moment) that said that while Fox is trying to promote this as a joke filled parody, the actual show is more straight sci fi with comedic moments. That actually makes it more interesting to me.
We saw the first episode on Amazon last night. Parody is an apt description. I've never been a big Star Trek fan, but the parody of it is right there in front of you.

The comedic moments aren't the LOL kind. The parody itself is part of the comedy, as is the sly asides/commentary characters make. It wasn't offensive at all. I was surprised McFarland turned it down that much.

I wouldn't mind seeing another couple of episodes but I think a show like this tends to either acquire a cult following like Galaxy Quest or quietly dies.
Old 09-12-2017, 09:28 AM

I think it has potential if they drop the stupid comedy attempts and used it more of a SciFi drama with the dynamics of the ex, her going behind his back with the admiralty and hiding she is the reason why he has this position, however if it was not for her cheating and his going through a divorce badly and the downturn of his life, he would have most likely captained a better ship, it has potential.

We will see which way this goes, but praying they drop the really bad comedy.
Old 09-12-2017, 09:35 AM
Soy un pinche idiota
Charter Member

I dropped out when it was revealed his XO was going to be his ex-wife. Don't think I'll be back.

Last edited by scabpicker; 09-12-2017 at 09:35 AM.
Old 09-12-2017, 09:35 AM

I enjoyed the first episode. Less Family Guy type humor then I expected and that is a good for me at least. The Arbor Day solution was really bad science of course and I guess played for laughs. I can buy the aging ray (allowing for Star Trek/Doctor Who techno-babble) but a 100 foot red wood would need a huge amount of resources to grow, not just time. That one can be chalked up to rule of funny but pulled me out of the show a little.

I liked the crew dynamic so far and will keep watching.
Old 09-12-2017, 09:45 AM

I think it could be as good as M*A*S*H, a serious sci-fi clone of ST:TNG, with smart aleck remarks from Seth, his ex-wife, the helmsmen, while everyone else tries to push for "will you be serious, this is important." And the comedians go, "I'm only going to be as serious as I absolutely have to be, because reasons."

I just read the NPR review linked above, and I understand the criticism -- if its going to briefly touch on touchy subjects, and have the captain and first officer riff on it, its going to seem trivial and that weakens the show. But if there's heart behind what they do, when its serious or funny, m the series could have some legs.

SPOILER:
Ed wanted his ex-wife gone at the beginning of the episode, but asked her to stay at the end. Maybe a series arc begins here: he wants her back. Maybe. But not really. But ... maybe.

Last edited by Arkcon; 09-12-2017 at 09:46 AM. Reason: ugh spoiler
Old 09-12-2017, 09:46 AM
Charter Jays Fan

If they dropped comedy it'd just be Star Trek without admitting it.

Say what you will, but at this point in its run TNG was a pretty cheesy-ass show and didn't really find its tone until its second season. I suspect The Orville had a chance to run for awhile, since

1. There isn't a lot of space opera on TV right now,
2. Damn the show LOOKS good, and
3. FOX trusts Seth MacFarlane. Since bringing back Family Guy their management approach with him seems to be "Let MacFarlane do whatever he wants." They let The Cleveland Show run for 4 seasons and 88 episodes despite having maybe 3 episodes' worth of jokes.

I wish MacFarlance had been a bit more original in the conception of the universe - little things, like the ship being named "USS Orville" rather than some other prefix, like "UEV" or any three letters you can hammer together, for instance. I understand why he wanted an optimistic, bright universe (like Star Trek) with a cast aboard a ship that explores spaces (like Star Trek) but a little more effort to make a unique universe would have been nice. I'm half surprised he didn't put the Union HQ in San Francisco.
Old 09-12-2017, 09:57 AM
Corellian Nerfherder

Quote:
There's another thread on this topic, involving Heidi, for some reason.
The 1968 "Heidi Game" is still remembered among football fans, and is considered to be the classic example of why the TV networks will no longer pull away from the end of a NFL game for a "regular" program.
Old 09-12-2017, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT View Post
I quite enjoyed it. The humor is a bit weird, and I prefer the more subtle ones parts and not where it breaks the narrative (like the villain on the viewscreen).
Now see - the villain on the viewscreen was actually done perfectly - as its intent was not to be funny to us (directly) - but to throw the villain off his game and delay him (long enough to build the redwood weapon).

I see the humor being more about 'not' being thenormal stuffy command structure - and doing things in space battles that otherwise wouldnt be done (the ship zooming in and around the bigger alien vs standing 'toe to toe' with it.).

Last edited by simster; 09-12-2017 at 10:12 AM.
Old 09-12-2017, 02:25 PM
SDSAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenobi 65 View Post
The 1968 "Heidi Game" is still remembered among football fans, and is considered to be the classic example of why the TV networks will no longer pull away from the end of a NFL game for a "regular" program.
Yup. Here's the thread: http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/...d.php?t=835982
Old 09-12-2017, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smapti View Post
Rotten Tomatoes has it at 17% with critics vs. 90% with viewers.

Interesting divide, but hopefully this means the show has enough goodwill thus far to keep it from getting Fireflied.
I think this is evidence that there is an audience hungry for optimistic Sci Fi. CBS was dumb for dumping Star Trek on their streaming platform. It will have a fraction of the audience it could have had (assuming it is true to Trek and optimistic Sci Fi).
Old 09-12-2017, 03:08 PM

Quote:
I think this is evidence that there is an audience hungry for optimistic Sci Fi. CBS was dumb for dumping Star Trek on their streaming platform. It will have a fraction of the audience it could have had (assuming it is true to Trek and optimistic Sci Fi).
I agree, I'm not even going to look into the new series until it becomes available on a more mainstream outlet like TV, Amazon or Netflix.
Old 09-12-2017, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finagle View Post
I guess I'll give it time to find its stride. Although it's not on a network that's known for letting that happen.
While a number of those were quick cancellations - girls club lasted only about 3 episodes - Titus actually had more episodes air up to that point than FG did. Also, Fox hasn't been as hasty pulling shows as it used to be; the last show I can think of that was cancelled "early" was Utopia (the reality show about people living in a self-contained ecosystem of some sort). (Our Little Genius, which was cancelled before any episodes aired, doesn't count as it was pulled by its producer when he discovered that some associate producers were giving hints (or questions, or even answers, depending on the version of the story) to the contestants.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftfield6 View Post
As I said on the other thread, after this Sunday, Fox is moving the show to Thursdays at 9 Eastern, after Gotham. The "usual" Sunday schedule returns on 10/1.
Old 09-12-2017, 08:10 PM
Mere Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by What Exit? View Post
I agree, I'm not even going to look into the new series until it becomes available on a more mainstream outlet like TV, Amazon or Netflix.
I'm another one. I wonder how long it will last on their service until they decide it's not working.

I read one review that called The Orville "unethical and immoral". The reviewer was outraged by it. I wish I could remember where I read it so I could share it. Talk about over-the-top. The show seems to be doing well with viewers but terribly with critics. Some have "meh" reactions while others hate it. What's going on??
Old 09-12-2017, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helena330 View Post
The show seems to be doing well with viewers but terribly with critics. Some have "meh" reactions while others hate it. What's going on??
I honestly don't know what critics were expecting. The show was pitched as an hour-long dramedy Star Trek parody and that's exactly what they delivered.

After seeing only the pilot (dunno if critics have seen more; sometimes they get the first few episodes) I think there is definitely room for improvement in the pacing, characterization, and figuring the kind of jokes that will work in the format. But a lot of the criticism seems unduly harsh. Maybe it's just fashionable to dislike Seth MacFarlane - I get that. Family Guy ran out of steam years ago, and A Million Ways to Die in the West was a flop.
Old 09-12-2017, 09:58 PM
Charter Member

I'm fairly certain the once-a-year-piss guy is going to piss out a huge fire, ala Strange Brew.

Errors in geography:
Krakatoa is west of Java.
Old 09-12-2017, 10:31 PM
Sith Mod

It was Star Trek with actual human beings in it. I'll stick around for the novelty factor, at least for a few more episodes. If they can get their feet under them, this could be genuinely great.
Old 09-12-2017, 11:39 PM
SDSAB

Incidentally, the XO (and "XW") mentioned her next possible ship was the Chanute, which I assume was a reference to Octave Chanute, who advised Wilbur and (wait for it) Orville Wright: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Octave_Chanute
Old 09-12-2017, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Incidentally, the XO (and "XW") mentioned her next possible ship was the Chanute, which I assume was a reference to Octave Chanute, who advised Wilbur and (wait for it) Orville Wright: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Octave_Chanute
I was wondering how long it would take someone to pick up on the "Pioneers of Aviation" theme.

I'll bet the next few starships are named the Leonardo, the Lillienthal, and the Langley.
Old 09-12-2017, 11:56 PM

Quote:
I was wondering how long it would take someone to pick up on the "Pioneers of Aviation" theme.
It's either that or the pioneers of popcorn. Who knows what they'll be naming ships after in the 25th century.
Old 09-13-2017, 04:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simster View Post
Now see - the villain on the viewscreen was actually done perfectly - as its intent was not to be funny to us (directly) - but to throw the villain off his game and delay him (long enough to build the redwood weapon).
I could see a version of that scene that works that way. But, as portrayed, I saw him as lying about the whole delay tactic just to annoy his XO. And then, when she also starts doing it, it's clearly out of spite. But even that I could buy, if not for the the villain actually stopping at the start and then answering questions later on.

It read to me like a comedy bit, not something that could have naturally happened in the scene in question. It felt like a Family Guy gag where everything stops for the joke. YM(apparently)V.

I assume you mean "long enough to think up the redwood weapon." They didn't actually build it until after they cut the guy off.

Normally I wouldn't nitpick, but that's a great example of the type of joke I'm talking about. It's nice and subtle, having them just flat out say "cut him off," unlike on Star Trek where it just goes off sometimes when it's convenient. And they didn't play the old tired version of the joke where the villain can still overhear them. No, just a nice, subtle jab.

And, yes, I agree with Miller about these seeming like normal people in a Star Trek setting. He found the words I was trying to think of.
Old 09-13-2017, 04:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by What Exit? View Post
I enjoyed the first episode. Less Family Guy type humor then I expected and that is a good for me at least. The Arbor Day solution was really bad science of course and I guess played for laughs. I can buy the aging ray (allowing for Star Trek/Doctor Who techno-babble) but a 100 foot red wood would need a huge amount of resources to grow, not just time. That one can be chalked up to rule of funny but pulled me out of the show a little.

I liked the crew dynamic so far and will keep watching.
I was okay with it because it was set up so well. They set up that the seeds would grow anywhere, using whatever was around them.

It's not like Star Trek didn't have impossible growth. Look at Genesis. Extremely sped up growth on a barren planet with no actual resources for life. Heck, now that I think about it, maybe it was a reference to that.

I just saw it as using a clever solution to solve their problems--one that the fans could figure out. Kinda like the metaphors in old Star Trek, before it became so technobabble heavy.
Old 09-13-2017, 05:29 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Hell, that wasn't even the only Easter egg in the character names. The sapient AI is named "Isaac". The admiral's last name is "Halsey". The doctor's last name is "Grayson".

SPOILER:
As in Asimov, the Paul McCartney song, and Spock's mother respectively.