Old 09-16-2017, 07:41 PM

Saw it today. Thought it was kind of fun - a bit better than the negative reviews I'd been reading. I doubt I'd stick with it if it weren't a Trek like show, but hopefully it will improve.
Old 09-16-2017, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkcon View Post
Annnddd, when did a ship dock there? The Defiant?
Not the Defiant. That docked on one of the smaller ports on the outer ring. The runabouts also had interior docking bays. The docking pylons were made for large starships and you do see them there, such as the Enterprise during the DS9 pilot and TNG: Birthright, and other large starships during the Dominion war.

Quote:
What's in the pylons? Giant empty space? Crew elevators for a bazilion crew to disembark at once? Cargo lifters? Refueling batteries?
There are crew quarters and other miscellaneous facilities there. Of course, a lot of it is unused because the station was built by the Cardassians for vastly more people and traffic than the Federation ever put there.

My point is just that the design of DS9 isn't as arbitrary as you seem to imply. They did put a little thought into it.
Old 09-16-2017, 08:29 PM

And The Orville coped it, 'cause why not, really. Except why in the first place, really. This is getting circular.

Last edited by Arkcon; 09-16-2017 at 08:30 PM.
Old 09-16-2017, 08:33 PM

Quote:
And The Orville coped it, 'cause why not, really. Except why in the first place, really. This is getting circular.
Like DS9!
Old 09-16-2017, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by friedo View Post
...Of course, Cardassian design does tend to be a bit grandiose. Maybe the Orville's Planetary Union shares the same architects.
Does anyone else find the name Planetary Union a little odd? Union of Planets or even Interplanetary Union suggest an organization composed of multiple planets; Planetary Union sounds like a planet wide government. It'd be like if the United Nations evolved into a world government and was renamed National Union.
Old 09-16-2017, 09:56 PM
KB not found. Press any key
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethilrist View Post
Like DS9!
Like Orville!
Old 09-16-2017, 10:05 PM

Quote:
I honestly have no idea what point you're trying to make now.
Old 09-16-2017, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Annnddd, when did a ship dock there?
Virtually every episode, before the war.

Not always shown (because a TV budget wouldn't allow that much use of expensive FX), but frequently mentioned, and often plot-relevant.
Old 09-16-2017, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaboi867 View Post
Does anyone else find the name Planetary Union a little odd? Union of Planets or even Interplanetary Union suggest an organization composed of multiple planets; Planetary Union sounds like a planet wide government. It'd be like if the United Nations evolved into a world government and was renamed National Union.
Probably so they can call it PU.
Old 09-17-2017, 02:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smapti View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ekedolphin View Post
I liked the first episode. "Happy Arbor Day", hee.

Anyone else notice that DS9's Kasidy Yates is the doctor?
I recognized her as Sherry Palmer, myself.
Are you guys talking about Captain Gates?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Declan View Post
So far of all the cast, only Adrienne Paliki really appeals to me and thats the prob. I would prefer this show tanks, so that she goes back to Agent of Shield.
Indeed: I first heard about the existence of this show after I heard that Nick Blood was returning to AoS, and my kneejerk reaction was, "This is the reason we can't get Bobbie back?!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Don Guy View Post
While a number of those were quick cancellations - girls club lasted only about 3 episodes - Titus actually had more episodes air up to that point than FG did. Also, Fox hasn't been as hasty pulling shows as it used to be; the last show I can think of that was cancelled "early" was Utopia (the reality show about people living in a self-contained ecosystem of some sort).
How are you defining 'early' in this context? I know I wasn't the only person in the world who was watching APB? And then, there was also Almost Human... Fox has hardly kicked the habit.
Old 09-17-2017, 04:20 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reluctant A. View Post
Are you guys talking about Captain Gates?
Dr. Claire Finn, the Orville's chief medical officer. Played by Penny Johnson Jerald, who also played Cassidy Yates, Sherry Palmer, and, yes, Capt. Victoria Gates on Castle. (She was also Condoleeza Rice in some 9/11 movie or another.)
Old 09-17-2017, 06:58 AM
Charter Member

Enjoyed more than I thought I would. I am a Seth MacFarlane hater. His I Saw Your Boobs song at the Oscars pretty much sums up how I view his crass douchiness.

It's clear he's a Star Trek fanboy. How this ever was allowed to be made with the ST franchise getting a HUGE piece of the action (I see what I did there) is beyond me.

The bits of stupid humor - drunk driving and such - kinda didn't fit, although they helped to make it clear that this is always going to be a Tribbles episode driven Star Trek clone.

The bad guys look reasonably bad. Why where there SO many of them and not one hit a Human (okay - a flesh wound) or our shuttle? Frickin' plot armor was too strong, unless that was meant to be part of the spoofy aspects of this? Oy.

I want to have Adrienne Palicki's babies . Seriously, I haven't seen her in a thing I haven't loved and where she wasn't excellent. Why isn't she a major star? I love me some Cobie Smulders, but what can she do that AP can't at least as well?
Old 09-17-2017, 07:19 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WordMan View Post
It's clear he's a Star Trek fanboy. How this ever was allowed to be made with the ST franchise getting a HUGE piece of the action (I see what I did there) is beyond me.
Brannon Braga, who was one of the showrunners for TNG/Voyager/Enterprise, is credited as an executive producer on this show.

That might have something to do with it.
Old 09-17-2017, 07:29 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Brannon Braga, who was one of the showrunners for TNG/Voyager/Enterprise, is credited as an executive producer on this show.

That might have something to do with it.
Yep, I have heard of the affiliation. All the more reason to know that there is a HUGE iceberg of a story below the surface of this.

The show is, oh, 95% Star Trek?

Okay, SDMB fanboys - what's your rating? Clearly, I vote 95%. What percent of this show's DNA is Star Trek??

Last edited by WordMan; 09-17-2017 at 07:30 AM.
Old 09-17-2017, 10:14 AM

The "Could you move to your right a bit? The framing was all wrong; it distracted me." bit sounded like something Shatner would say in the TOS outtakes (or in some of the later movies). Maybe Seth is channeling Bill.
Old 09-17-2017, 10:19 AM

Doesn't the guy with the beard remind you a lot of the mature Wesley Crusher? Maybe Wil Wheaton was unavailable....
Old 09-17-2017, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by terentii View Post
Doesn't the guy with the beard remind you a lot of the mature Wesley Crusher? Maybe Wil Wheaton was unavailable....

You know that he voices the son of MacFarlane's character on AMERICAN DAD, right? They've been working together, on one show or another, for over a dozen years.
Old 09-17-2017, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Sams View Post
Trailer here

Looks like a cross between Quark and Galaxy Quest.
I'm hoping for something like an American version of Hyperdrive.
Old 09-17-2017, 01:31 PM
Mere Member

Quote:
Yep, I have heard of the affiliation. All the more reason to know that there is a HUGE iceberg of a story below the surface of this.

The show is, oh, 95% Star Trek?

Okay, SDMB fanboys - what's your rating? Clearly, I vote 95%. What percent of this show's DNA is Star Trek??
I guess I can't vote. Psst, women like scifi, too.
Old 09-17-2017, 01:37 PM
Sith Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethilrist View Post
I was wondering about this... did I miss something where they explained why they built so many ships they couldn't crew that they were literally scraping the bottom of the barrel to find a captain for this one? It was kind of implied with the final conversation with the Commander that she got the captain the posting, but they were talking earlier in the show about having so many ships to fill. Did they find a sudden cache of hidden ships, or did somebody win the lottery?
Probably, they have such a huge fleet because their current political/military situation calls for a huge fleet. "We need 200 ships guarding this region, 500 on post at Earth, another 150 doing exploratory work..." and then they start building up to those fleet numbers. Crewing the ships - particularly with trained and/or experienced command - has turned out to be more of a bottleneck than building them, but they'll eventually work through it as more classes graduate from the academies.

Alternatively, they've had a ~3000 ship fleet for a while, and are experiencing a dip in recruitment/increase in retirement that's making it temporarily difficult to fill all the billets. The Orville itself isn't a new ship - MacFarlane's a replacement captain. His predecessor either retired, or got promoted up when someone above him retired. (or died.)

I'm not a military guy, but I understand that those are pretty common problems in real-world navies.

Quote:
And, about the insignificant part... every time they showed us the huge docking station in space, I had to look to see where the ship was. That terminal was built for ships waaaayyyy larger than the Orville.
Yeah, the Orville's definitely meant to be a smaller class ship. I suspect they've got a big reveal planned for when the real capital ships show up.
Old 09-17-2017, 01:46 PM
Sith Mod

Quote:
How this ever was allowed to be made with the ST franchise getting a HUGE piece of the action (I see what I did there) is beyond me.
You can't copyright ideas. "Folks in colorful jumpers running around brightly lit starships,' is to vague to sustain any sort of a copyright infringement, and they haven't taken anything from ST that could possibly be covered under Trademark law. Brannon Braga's probably on board as a producer because he has a lot of experience running fx heavy sci-fi shows. Braga doesn't personally have any ownership in Trek, AFAIK, which is mostly held by Paramount and the Roddenberry estate, so his appearance in the credits likely doesn't mean much in terms of backroom legal wrangling.
Old 09-17-2017, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Dr. Claire Finn, the Orville's chief medical officer. Played by Penny Johnson Jerald, who also played Cassidy Yates, Sherry Palmer, and, yes, Capt. Victoria Gates on Castle. (She was also Condoleeza Rice in some 9/11 movie or another.)
The only Cassie Yates I recognize was played by Tamara Taylor.
Old 09-17-2017, 02:32 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helena330 View Post
I guess I can't vote. Psst, women like scifi, too.
Yeah - I screwed that up. Not meaning gender specificity!
Old 09-17-2017, 04:00 PM

I kept waiting for it to get really funny or really exciting and all it got was really pretty. I guess that'll do for a few episodes, but having more fart, dick and cupholder jokes is going to wear thin pretty fast.
Old 09-17-2017, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Well, he is no longer needed for Dark Matter.
Old 09-17-2017, 04:29 PM
Charter Member

Maybe the large number of ships is due to corruption driven pork. If the show is trying to portray humans more realistically, then that makes sense.

Maybe the jokes protect them from Paramount by making it a parody. I don't know if Paramount would try to sue or could be successful if they did, but making it a parody probably makes it easier to defend in court.
Old 09-17-2017, 06:44 PM

Saw the pilot this morning and I'm looking forward to tonight's episode. Yeah, some of the humour is juvenile and it definitely is a nod and a wink to ST. (Geek Alert!)Based on the "year" it's set in I don't really see why it couldn't be a continuation of the ST series itself as Orville is roughly 100 years after TNG, especially with the messed up timelines the movie series have introduced.... Personally, I think this series has a lot of potential to be really good.
Old 09-17-2017, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidm View Post
Maybe the large number of ships is due to corruption driven pork. If the show is trying to portray humans more realistically, then that makes sense.

Maybe the jokes protect them from Paramount by making it a parody. I don't know if Paramount would try to sue or could be successful if they did, but making it a parody probably makes it easier to defend in court.
It would be CBS, not Paramount, but it doesn't matter. The idea of "space adventure TV show with brightly-colored costumes" is not sufficiently specific to infringe on anyone's IP. Orville is hardly the first to rip off the Trek aesthetic. (And neither was Star Trek.)
Old 09-17-2017, 08:03 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
There's another thread on this topic, involving Heidi, for some reason.

Years ago, I used to warn people NOT to put a show on Fox, for just that reason. Well, tell people who would listen, mostly, I don't actually know anyone who'd be in a position to pitch a TV show anyway.

In those days I wanted to see The Simpsons, Family Guy, Bob's Burgers and other cartoons. I wanted that Space: Above and Beyond would just end and let a Simpson episode appear, but it was often preempted by a game. I never watched Firefly because I knew preempting would happen.

Anyway, football on Fox is now under control. The OT frequently mentioned that Seth MacFarlane's new series was coming up. Fox has carefully worked game start time, and has The OT under control. I definitely noticed that there was less commentary to save time.

'Course, that just flies out the window with Nascar. They weren't under control at all last time I checked. Race is over, rambling interviews, and the, 15 minutes into the next time slot -- is it time to wrap it up? Nope, time for another rambling interview.

Still. If this works well enough. Fox can try to rein in this sort of thing just for this show.
We still have 12.23 to go in the fourth quarter of the game. What does this equate to? An hour of real time?
Old 09-17-2017, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidm View Post
Maybe the large number of ships is due to corruption driven pork. If the show is trying to portray humans more realistically, then that makes sense...
Good point. The Planetary Union also does things like fast-track or direct commission officers for political reasons; it's not hard to imagine them doling out pork barrel projects to member worlds too. Good thing this show's on Hulu.
Old 09-17-2017, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickJay View Post
Starfleet is smaller than any sort of logic would dictate, by virtue of anything we're told. For instance, at the Battle of Wolf-359, the Borg cube destroys 39 ships; this is presented as being the best the Federation could pull together to face the Borg ship, though they had substantial advance notice. I have to point out that Wolf-359 is not in the Federation boondocks; it's the fifth-closest star to the Earth besides the Sun.

This battle is suggested to be a significant blow to the Federation's battle capability.

Considering how frigging big space is, a fleet of thousands of ships would seem to make more sense for a large interstellar empire than a fleet that is severely mauled by the loss of 39 ships.
Here's a reddit post estimating that Starfleet easily has 10,000+ ships. It's pretty convincing, and he goes into Wolf-359 along with other stuff from the shows.
Old 09-17-2017, 09:14 PM

Haha...I got it before they did the reveal of where Capt. Ed and Kelly are.

SPOILER:
As he woke up I thought...The Menagerie?

Last edited by Johnny Ace; 09-17-2017 at 09:17 PM.
Old 09-17-2017, 09:39 PM

Quote:
I was wondering how long it would take someone to pick up on the "Pioneers of Aviation" theme.

I'll bet the next few starships are named the Leonardo, the Lillienthal, and the Langley.
Damn! I almost wrote the Bleriot last week, but I opted for alliteration instead! Shit!

Anybody pick up on the "Ensign Parker" reference? Sweet!

https://i.pinimg.com/736x/ca/06/50/c...nny-people.jpg
Old 09-17-2017, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Ace View Post
Haha...I got it before they did the reveal of where Capt. Ed and Kelly are.
They even had a Keeper, too!

Last edited by terentii; 09-17-2017 at 09:42 PM.
Old 09-17-2017, 09:42 PM

It seems to be leaning more toward the dramatic side. And the visuals are excellent. I'm liking it.

Take that, critics!
Old 09-17-2017, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Other Waldo Pepper View Post
You know that he voices the son of MacFarlane's character on AMERICAN DAD, right? They've been working together, on one show or another, for over a dozen years.
Uhm, no, I didn't know that. It's been almost that long since I last watched American Dad.
Old 09-17-2017, 10:02 PM
Charter Member

Hey, it even has a continuing B storyline (Bortus' kid). Though I find it interesting that his mate is on the ship. Will they allow a kid of any gender to stay on board?

Brian
Old 09-17-2017, 10:05 PM

Quote:
It seems to be leaning more toward the dramatic side. And the visuals are excellent. I'm liking it.

Take that, critics!
Cool. I had some suggestions, and he's very active on Twitter but since the shows are already in the can, I didn't bother.

Some were:

Play it straight and let the jokes land themselves.

No filler. Like that shootout in the pilot. Blast tropes if you're going to have filler. People in firefights curse. They get scared. Someone is shooting at you!!

They did bend a trope nicely in the premiere. They asked one bridge crew member to get them out of there with the engine left...and then ended up not even using that plan.

So i'm glad to see them lean more dramatic.
Old 09-17-2017, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Bravo View Post
Here's a reddit post estimating that Starfleet easily has 10,000+ ships. It's pretty convincing, and he goes into Wolf-359 along with other stuff from the shows.
SF had been mostly at peace for quite a while. And while they had some notice, the Borg Cube was travelling extremely fast.

What's dumb is that the bridge crew would even be ALLOWED to stay together rather than start captaining the new ships. And the Dominion War would complicate that even more but my fanwank was....by that point SF had given up and just turned 1701E into a diplomatic/Bob Hope tour Vietnam kind of ship.

Picard shows up...waves...
Old 09-17-2017, 10:12 PM
KB not found. Press any key
Charter Member

This is Star Trek with 21st century people.
TOS was Star Trek with mid 20th century people who wanted to be tough guy cowboys.

Good lord, Penny Johnson has aged. When it became clear that Sisko had become a wraith, or worm hole alien, she delivered the best line she spoke in DS9 (and probably Orville) "Oh my God." She delivered that very well, having been a background character for seven years.
Old 09-17-2017, 10:22 PM

Quote:
The "Could you move to your right a bit? The framing was all wrong; it distracted me." bit sounded like something Shatner would say in the TOS outtakes (or in some of the later movies). Maybe Seth is channeling Bill.
Oh, yeah. That was another reason the viewscreen bit didn't fit for me. I forgot it started with this. It's a joke that doesn't work in continuity. If they'd instead had someone on the Orville fix it, then it would have worked. But having the villain care?

It was just too silly for me, and set up my expectation for the next joke, I think.

(Can't comment on the next episode until it drops online. We cut the cord and the antenna. There's even stuff piled up in front of the [CRT] TV.)
Old 09-17-2017, 10:29 PM

Watched the second episode. Impressed, albeit the story-line is one that has been around SF (both written and in shows) for a long time and more than a few things didn't ring true (They have adopted the ST motto that ignoring commands of higher authority is a good thing--the Lt would more likely have gotten a court-martial than a medal in any disciplined navy).

That said, the humor was more muted and the characters better developed and more in depth. I do think this constant mention of the previous marriage is going to get old real fast if they intend to work it rather ham-fistedly into every episode. But the end clip on both shows have been tantilizing, so I guess I'll stick around for awhile.
Old 09-17-2017, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Stainless Steel Rat View Post
I do think this constant mention of the previous marriage is going to get old real fast if they intend to work it rather ham-fistedly into every episode.
One of the hallmarks of MacFarlen's humor is running a joke so far into the ground that it pops up on the other side of the planet and becomes funny again. Or not, depending on your particular mileage.
Old 09-17-2017, 10:37 PM

Call me crazy but I'm liking it. Three cheers for episodic, fun sci fi!
Old 09-17-2017, 10:40 PM

Fox is claiming 16 million watched the pilot. The (next) test is how many watch the follow-up.
Old 09-17-2017, 10:46 PM

Gotta say these repair crew guys are pretty awesome. Last week, we saw the ship get big ass chunks of the hull get blasted out, this week all shiny new....until they get big ass chunks of the hull blasted out, and again all shiny new by the end of the ep no less. NASCAR needs to sign these guys.

Also find it mildly amusing that apparently you get weed on demand in space. I figure there will be a holodeck poker game with Mockingbird playing Willie Nelson, Snoop Dog, Tommy Chong, and Dr. Johnny Fever.
"Yes, but that's because you're a wild human, not a tame human. The likes of you would have to be kept in a zoo, and the keepers would be very careful to never put their tentacles inside the bars"--Lemur866 describing Oak, 11/13/09
Molon labe--Leonidas I
Old 09-18-2017, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Fox is claiming 16 million watched the pilot. The (next) test is how many watch the follow-up.
Second episode ever and already preempted by football, thus guaranteeing that precisely zero people will watch it.

Its been decades since people started buying DVRs and Fox still hasn't seemed to figure out how to get their shit in order. It's infuriating.

Off to the torrent sites I go.
Old 09-18-2017, 01:30 AM

Liked the second episode much more, it seemed tighter and I experienced a few belly laughs this time. They don't need to spend so much screen time on shuttle movement (unless there's some sort of marketing survey-thingy that proves it pulls enough audience in)--maybe that improves as the season progresses?
Old 09-18-2017, 02:01 AM
Corellian Nerfherder

Quote:
Originally Posted by friedo View Post
Second episode ever and already preempted by football, thus guaranteeing that precisely zero people will watch it.

Its been decades since people started buying DVRs and Fox still hasn't seemed to figure out how to get their shit in order. It's infuriating.
Well, in Fox's defense, they couldn't have predicted that the Cowboys/Broncos game would suffer an hour-long delay due to a severe thunderstorm. Under any normal circumstances, the game would have been over long before The Orville's timeslot.
Old 09-18-2017, 02:57 AM
Charter Member

I'm still liking it.

Space zoos are definitely a cliche but at my age just about everything seems cliched, so it becomes a matter of whether or not this week's cliche was done in an entertaining manner.

Disobeying orders and risking the ship and the entire crew for one or two people was a common thing on TOS. This was shown as a virtue but of course they only got away with it because the writers let them and in reality it would be risky and unwise.

Now that they understand and can use that cloaking technology, I wonder if they'll ever use it again.