Old 03-05-2018, 12:01 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

New Poppins Movie-Practically Perfect in Every Way?

I just saw the teaser trailer for Mary Poppins Returns...and I am cautiously optimistic. Emily Blunt looks good in the roll.
Old 03-05-2018, 12:38 PM
Charter Member

Practically perfect, indeed. I'm sure Emily Blunt would look very good on a roll.

Now don't dally, and go to bed, spit-spot!
Old 03-05-2018, 12:43 PM

Will she be doing push-ups in a hangar?
Old 03-05-2018, 12:45 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musicat View Post
Practically perfect, indeed. I'm sure Emily Blunt would look very good on a roll.
I hate Mondays.
Old 03-05-2018, 03:02 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Czarcasm View Post
I hate Mondays.

Not if they bring Emily Blunt on a roll.

Can we make Tuesday be Margot Robbie on wheat toast?
Old 03-05-2018, 04:02 PM
Charter Member

We already had a Mary Poppins remake. It was called Princess Leia in Episode VIII.

Last edited by tracer; 03-05-2018 at 04:02 PM.
Old 03-05-2018, 04:38 PM
Charter Member

Looks good. Cant be as good as the original. But yes, Emily Blunt will do a good job. I'll watch it.
Old 03-05-2018, 04:59 PM

I know dick van dyke is it in because I think it was a talk show a while back he jokingly mentioned that in his original mp contrac is stated t that if there were sequels he was still playing burt or (what ever his name was ) and he couldn't because he was too old they said so they gave him a extended cameo and a couple of the dance numbers so he didn't sue

the funny thing is hes probably better at 90 than who ever his replacement is
Old 03-05-2018, 05:01 PM

And one has to think that Lin-Manuel will be much less cringe-worthy than Dick van Dyke.
Old 03-05-2018, 05:02 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quercus alba View Post
And one has to think that Lin-Manuel will be much less cringe-worthy than Dick van Dyke.
Dick va Dyke was perfect and his bad accent wasnt his fault.
Old 03-05-2018, 05:33 PM

Shoulda gone with Michelle Gomez. I'd pay good cash money to see Missy play Mary Poppins.
Old 03-05-2018, 05:49 PM
Charter Member

It's probably not fair to her, but Emily Blunt just doesn't seem quite right to me. I think it's a sort of uncanny valley effect: She looks and sounds similar to Julie Andrews, but not exactly the same, and the differences are a bit jarring to me. Of course, nobody at all is a match for Julie Andrews.
Old 12-22-2018, 10:57 PM

Reviving this thread because the movie is now in theaters.

I plan to go with my daughters this week. They're home from college. We watched the original many times on DVD when they were growing up.

The previews look really good.

Here's a behind the scenes promo.
https://youtu.be/5IAPTlhfVck

Last edited by aceplace57; 12-22-2018 at 10:59 PM.
Old 12-22-2018, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDeth View Post
Dick va Dyke was perfect and his bad accent wasnt his fault.
Whose fault was it?
Old 12-22-2018, 11:19 PM

It's so cool they made the effort to use hand drawn animation in this film. They had to find older artists that have the production experience.

The animation style looks so similar to the original film.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/nypost....-cartoons/amp/
Quote:
Sixty-four-year-old Keane, who was a character animator on 1977’s “Pete’s Dragon” and “The Rescuers,” among others, advised the “Mary Poppins Returns” team early in the process — especially on the look of the Royal Doulton bowl scene in the new film, with a pastoral carriage ride through green hills leading to a raucous kaleidoscope-colored dance hall.

“We decided that if we were gonna do it, it had to feel in the same vibe,” says production designer Jeff Turley. “We did a lot of work — studying, nerding out, looking at all the old backgrounds.”

Last edited by aceplace57; 12-22-2018 at 11:21 PM.
Old 12-22-2018, 11:54 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceplace57 View Post
It's so cool they made the effort to use hand drawn animation in this film...
Hand drawn, but not hand colored:
Quote:
About 85 percent of the final film was drawn on paper by more than 160 animators then scanned into a computer and colored.
Old 12-23-2018, 12:18 AM

I guess they had to save money where they could.

I was hoping we could use On Demand and purchase a viewing at home on DirecTv. But, I don't see any online streaming offered.

A retro trip to a real movie theater will be interesting. It's been five years since my last visit.

Last edited by aceplace57; 12-23-2018 at 12:19 AM.
Old 12-23-2018, 01:31 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceplace57 View Post
I was hoping we could use On Demand and purchase a viewing at home on DirecTv. But, I don't see any online streaming offered.
Are movies ever available for home viewing (at least legally) while they're still in theaters?
Old 12-23-2018, 06:26 AM

I thought some movies were released on pay per view? The studio could make a lot of money that way. Think of how may people use pay for view for a boxing match that might abruptly end in the 3rd round.

I rarely watch any movie when it's first released. So I'm not sure what the studios do anymore.

I will go to a theater to see Mary Poppins with my family. I haven't been this excited about any new movie in a long time.

Last edited by aceplace57; 12-23-2018 at 06:30 AM.
Old 12-23-2018, 07:55 AM
Charter Member

IIRC There has been at least on movie released at the same time in the theatres and online. The Ballad of Buster Scruggs had a very limited theatre run before being on Netflix (Netflix paid for it, and it doesn't say precisely but the reason it was in the theatres at all was IMHO to be eligible for film awards)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel Coen
the "hours and days and years you spend struggling over details" of a film "is appreciated in a different way on a big screen,"
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Ba...Buster_Scruggs

Brian
Old 12-24-2018, 03:39 AM

Hey, just curious, did a lot of people want to bang Mary Poppins when the first one came out?

Asking for a friend...
Old 12-24-2018, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashtura View Post
Hey, just curious...
Okay, before this thread becomes a free-for-all, has anyone here SEEN the movie?
Old 12-24-2018, 08:58 AM

My family plans to catch the matinee Wed or Thurs.

We need to go while our daughters are home from college.

Mary Poppins did pretty good box office the opening weekend, 2nd behind Aquaman. Bumblebee came in 3rd.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cnn...ice/index.html

Last edited by aceplace57; 12-24-2018 at 08:59 AM.
Old 12-24-2018, 09:30 AM

The reviews seem to be lukewarm positive. Good, but far from great.

The main audience complaint I've seen is that the songs are just nowhere as good as the original's. For a musical, that's a fairly hard slam. OTOH, matching the original just wasn't going to happen.

Fun trivia question: In which of the top two movies opening this week did Julie Andrews have a cameo?
Old 12-24-2018, 10:14 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Hey, just curious, did a lot of people want to bang Mary Poppins when the first one came out?

Asking for a friend...
I saw the original when it was first in the theaters, but I was too young to know about such things, let alone have such urges.

We watched it on DVD just a few years ago, so the Firebug could see it. (He's eager to see the sequel.) Can't say she moved me in that way now, either.
Old 12-24-2018, 11:35 AM

Saw the original when I was in fourth grade. Got and memorized the soundtrack album soon afterwards. The movie's one of the happiest memories of my childhood.

At the time, I thought Julie Andrews was pretty but no great beauty.* I haven't been able to see her the same way since she was cariacaturized in MAD Magazine's "The $ound of Money."

*Her being British made up for this a lot.
Old 12-24-2018, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTFirefly View Post
I saw the original when it was first in the theaters, but I was too young to know about such things, let alone have such urges.

We watched it on DVD just a few years ago, so the Firebug could see it. (He's eager to see the sequel.) Can't say she moved me in that way now, either.
Well then you need to see SOB.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/S.O.B._(film)

Last edited by Miller; 12-25-2018 at 02:10 AM. Reason: fixed link
Old 12-24-2018, 12:23 PM
Charter Member

I saw Mary Poppins Returns yesterday, and I thought it was practically perfect in every way.

The first two songs didn't thrill me, so I wasn't sure how the music would be (I can sing every song from the original movie). But there are at least four really nice showstopping songs that I want to learn.

Lin-Manuel Miranda is wonderfully loveable, and Emily Blunt captures Mary Poppins very well. I didn't really compare her to Julie Andrews, more just to the nature of the character, and I think Emily did her justice.

If there is a weak actor, I think it's the one who plays the adult Michael, but it doesn't really hurt the film.

In addition to Dick an Dyke, who was wonderful, there is a surprise cameo at the end of the movie that was extra special for me.

I had a smile on my face that never left starting at about 15 minutes in, and after about 45 minutes I was already thinking about seeing it again. I think it's going to be another Disney classic.
Old 12-25-2018, 01:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thudlow Boink View Post
Are movies ever available for home viewing (at least legally) while they're still in theaters?
I had the official laserdisc of "Pulp Fiction" from Japan while the movie was still in theaters in the US in early 1995.
Old 12-25-2018, 01:17 AM
Charter Member

I saw it today, as well. I liked it; I think it's 77% rotten tomatoes score is going to be heavily split along age lines.

It is very, very, very faithful to the original in spirit, tone, pacing, and characterization. It has some of the same weaknesses, too (it's a bit too long, several of the songs sound alike, it's slow by modern standards, and there's no real suspense as to the ending; in fact I guessed several specific details very early in the film).

If you liked the original, you'll like this. If you didn't, you won't. They're nearly the same movie in a lot of ways.
Old 12-25-2018, 06:48 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by madsircool View Post
Well then you need to see SOB.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/S.O.B._(film)
Why? We're talking about Julie Andrews in the role of Mary Poppins. Does she play Mary Poppins in S.O.B.?

(And does Nathaniel Rateliff perform the theme song? )
Old 12-25-2018, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Let me tell you about seeing The Last Seduction (1994). Mrs. FtG saw a review in the paper and wanted to go see it, so, sure, why not?

A short bit into it I thought "This seems very familiar." And it got incredibly familiar. I had seen it earlier on HBO or some such. I recorded it 'cause it was only run in the middle of the night. Watched it. This is dumb.

So I ended up paying to watch a dumb movie a second time in the theater.

Turns out some critics fell in love with it for mysterious reasons and the studio regretted it going to video so they released it into theaters.

Netflix and Amazon do the obligatory minimum theater run to qualify for awards, sometimes start airing the movie on their services, award nominations start rolling in, put it up in a few theaters more as an ad for their services.

And then there are overseas films, esp. small British ones. A film might be sold to one US streaming service and a different US theater distributor. The film can become available online before it hits US theaters.
Old 12-28-2018, 09:09 AM

My family and I went yesterday. We had watched the original at home on Christmas Day.

The new Mary Poppins is very similar and equally good. I enjoyed the music. It may not be quite as memorable as the original, but the music is certainly well done.

Emily Blunt has indicated in interviews that she'd like to play the role again. Travers wrote several books that could be developed into screenplays. I'd enjoy seeing this character again.

Lin-Manuel is very good and I enjoyed the kids.

Last edited by aceplace57; 12-28-2018 at 09:13 AM.
Old 12-28-2018, 09:55 AM

The review I got from a friend yesterday who saw it with his kids: it's very much a movie that could have been made in the 60s, like the original; adults who enjoyed the original will enjoy this one.

His kids OTOH, were bored to tears. They begged to go see Bumblebee instead, but their grandmother made them see this.
Old 12-28-2018, 11:28 AM

There's no comparison between an action movie like Bumblebee and Mary Poppins. It's a musical fantasy story.

Action movies are a big draw. There's no getting around that.
Old 12-28-2018, 12:43 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Frozen was released while still in theaters; a sing-along version had just hit theaters the month before.
Old 12-28-2018, 01:06 PM

Random thoughts -

It's obviously an attempt to recreate the tone and feel of the original. At that it is very successful. However, when the original came out, Disney was at the height of being the purveyor of this type of entertainment. In addition, Hollywood was also sending out similar product from other studios. Today, that is not the case. So, this becomes more of an exercise in nostalgia rather than an artistic work in its own right.

Comparing Lin-Manuel Miranda to Dick Van Dyke is interesting. At the time of the original, Van Dyke was a well known quantity from TV. While Lin-Manuel is definitely the right choice in the talent department, I would be curious if he is well known enough to the average viewer, outside of the type of person who would be up on Broadway hits? I suspect there are equally talented performers who are more well known broadly. It would be interesting to know who else might have been considered.

I thought Emily Blunt captured the character very well.

Regarding the music, I felt that they tried to make every damn song a showstopper. I needed a little more balance and variety.

There were a couple of choices that hit an off note to me. Having Mary Poppins turn into Sally Bowles in the Royal Doulton number just struck me as being off-brand. Also, while Ben Wishaw's commitment to the reality of the character was good acting, his tearful "we're going to lose the house" scene really felt too real, considering the rest of the movie. After all, they hand waved the issue away with them moving in with the sister, so it's not like they were in real danger. I blame the director for not reeling that scene back just a hair.

In the final analysis, I would say they just tried too hard.
Old 12-28-2018, 01:50 PM
Charter Member

ty
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeWinder View Post
It is very, very, very faithful to the original in spirit, tone, pacing, and characterization. <snip>
If you liked the original, you'll like this. If you didn't, you won't. They're nearly the same movie in a lot of ways.
Saw it yesterday. I liked the original, and I liked this. But I strongly suspect that, unlike the original, nobody's going to be watching Mary Poppins Returns five years from now, let alone fifty. One is a classic, the other is decent entertainment for an afternoon.

Like you say, "they're nearly the same movie in a lot of ways," and that's a flaw, not a strength. So many of the scenes were clearly modeled after particular scenes in the original. I can see them saying, "we need a scene like the rooftop scene," or "we need a scene like the 'go fly a kite' scene."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icarus View Post
Regarding the music, I felt that they tried to make every damn song a showstopper. I needed a little more balance and variety.

<snip>

In the final analysis, I would say they just tried too hard.
Yeppers to this, particularly with the music.

I also thought the decision to make the movie about losing the house from the get-go was a mistake. The original movie's plot driver is that nannies keep quitting on them, giving up on keeping Jane and Michael in line; George Banks loses his job very late in the film, and the way it was handled wasn't at war with the fundamental lightheartedness of the rest of the film.

But in this movie, the notice of repossession, and the recent death of Michael's wife, are front and center from the beginning, and the Mary Poppins approach to these issues really doesn't work very well, IMHO.

Last edited by RTFirefly; 12-28-2018 at 01:51 PM.
Old 12-28-2018, 02:05 PM

Saw it a couple of days ago - wife REALLY loved it. I thought it was OK.

Good description by Icarus. they really lost me early on, w/ the main adult male lead being such an incompetent mope. Thought the cartoon bit went a tad long. And didn't care for the Meryl Streep character.

I really liked the original MP - saw it in the theater when it came out, and several times w/ my kids. Think I would've liked it if I saw it for the first time as an adult. Music was good, acting strong, some good humor for kids and adults. But I don't see the need to remake/update it. I feel similarly to when the Coens remade true Grit - why?

Emily Blunt was an exceptional MP. Movie was very colorful and active - would think it would appeal to most kids.

How old were the kids who were "bored to tears" by the new MP? if they were under 10-12, I find it quite sad that they would be unable to appreciate as sweet and colorful a film at this, instead of the mindless slam-bang frenetic Transformers crap. But that is likely a commentary on what is presented as childrens' "entertainment" these days.
Old 12-28-2018, 05:25 PM
Just Lovely and Delicious
Charter Member

I saw it with my mom and my 7-year-old niece. I kept feeling like the movie was going to lose her during some of the heavier parts but she enjoyed the musical numbers and came away satisfied.

The original is probably my favorite Disney movie. I liked this one but it did seem a bit too heavy. Ben Whishaw is darling but boy his mustache was distracting. I liked the character of Jane and that she was a union supporter, like the mom was a women’s suffrage supporter in the original.

The dancing and singing was good. The trick bike riding towards the end was a pleasant surprise!! Miranda was good, I like him in everything.

I agree with whoever said this won’t be a repeat viewing kind of thing. But it was worth it to see in the theater and I’m glad I went.
Old 12-28-2018, 08:40 PM

I wasn't a huge fan of the original -- probably I was a smidge too old? -- so I probably won't bother seeing this one if they're so similar. Although I do love L-M Miranda.

I usually find Julie Andrews a bit off-putting. There's something a touch plastic about her. She always seems like an actress playing a part and not believable as the actual character.
Old 12-29-2018, 01:25 AM
Corellian Nerfherder

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrps View Post
I usually find Julie Andrews a bit off-putting. There's something a touch plastic about her. She always seems like an actress playing a part and not believable as the actual character.
Well, no worries, then, as she's not in this.
Old 12-31-2018, 08:48 PM

I enjoyed it, despite the villain being dull and the songs not as memorable. The dialogue, especially for Mary Poppins, was excellent.

I was surprised that my favorite part was one line from Michael: "Jane, let's go fly a kite."

I stayed for the credits, and noticed that in the Special Thanks to section it mentioned Jay Leno. I'm guessing he supplied some of the antique vehicles, since he collects them.
Old 12-31-2018, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dendarii Dame View Post
I stayed for the credits, and noticed that in the Special Thanks to section it mentioned Jay Leno. I'm guessing he supplied some of the antique vehicles, since he collects them.
My idea as well - tho it wasn't really car-heavy...
Old 12-31-2018, 10:33 PM
Charter Member

Very nice, all the songs were good- but none were great. I miss the Sherman brothers.

Emily Blunt was perfect.

I'd say a B+. Very good, not quite great.
Old 01-03-2019, 01:41 AM

Quote:

Asking for a friend...

I never had this reaction (though I wasn’t born until years after the original came out, but I assume “when you first saw it” qualifies?). However, Slate’s Dan Kois, who is about my age, said on the Spoiler Special podcast that he certainly had this feeling and believes that Julie Andrews (in combination with her role in “Sound of Music” as well) shaped the sexuality of a whole generation of men who grew up with those portrayals. So you’re not alone in feeling this way, for sure. (Or, er, your friend isn’t.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpoilerVirgin View Post
I saw Mary Poppins Returns yesterday, and I thought it was practically perfect in every way.

The first two songs didn't thrill me, so I wasn't sure how the music would be (I can sing every song from the original movie). But there are at least four really nice showstopping songs that I want to learn.

Lin-Manuel Miranda is wonderfully loveable, and Emily Blunt captures Mary Poppins very well. I didn't really compare her to Julie Andrews, more just to the nature of the character, and I think Emily did her justice.

If there is a weak actor, I think it's the one who plays the adult Michael, but it doesn't really hurt the film.

In addition to Dick an Dyke, who was wonderful, there is a surprise cameo at the end of the movie that was extra special for me.

I had a smile on my face that never left starting at about 15 minutes in, and after about 45 minutes I was already thinking about seeing it again. I think it's going to be another Disney classic.

I cosign this, with the caveat that I come at it from quite a different angle: I’m not sure if I’ve ever seen the original in its entirety. If you asked me before seeing this new version, I could have told you that Mary Poppins was a nanny who flew (or parachuted?) on a parasol, and I was familiar with the “supercalifragilisticexpialadocious” song (including that amusing heavy metal overdub). I would not have been able to name any other songs from the original, although when people mention “Spoonful of Sugar”, it is familiar.

So why was I in the theater watching this? My fifteen year old daughter from my first marriage came up to spend the holidays with us, and she chose this to go see with her younger half-siblings and my wife and me. (It was the sensible choice, of the options available.) I had zero expectations, and just hoped I wouldn’t be too bored.

Instead I found it magical, delightful. It transported me to a happy place. I don’t know how long it was, but I didn’t want it to end.

I was going to say I didn’t agree about the “first two songs”, but then I realized I missed the beginning of the movie as I had to park the car while the rest of the fam went in. I arrived just before MP herself did, so maybe I missed those songs? Whatever the case, I thought all the songs I did see/hear were great.

BTW, does anyone know if there has been attention paid to the age difference between Lin-Manuel Miranda and Emily Mortimer? Of course if their genders were reversed it would if anything be a relatively small age difference; but I’m trying to think of the last time I saw a movie where a male actor in his thirties was paired up with a female actor over 45, beyond her LFD* or pushing it, so I thought it was a noteworthy occurrence in a high profile movie.

*If you’re not sure what “LFD” means and don’t mind seeing or reading about a vulgar but hilarious sketch, see here:

Last edited by SlackerInc; 01-03-2019 at 01:44 AM.
Old 01-03-2019, 02:46 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlackerInc View Post
BTW, does anyone know if there has been attention paid to the age difference between Lin-Manuel Miranda and Emily Mortimer?
Whatever the actor's age difference, their characters are clearly similar ages, since the lamplighter talks about chatting at her window when they were both children.
Old 01-03-2019, 05:45 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlackerInc View Post
BTW, does anyone know if there has been attention paid to the age difference between Lin-Manuel Miranda and Emily Mortimer? Of course if their genders were reversed it would if anything be a relatively small age difference; but Im trying to think of the last time I saw a movie where a male actor in his thirties was paired up with a female actor over 45, beyond her LFD* or pushing it, so I thought it was a noteworthy occurrence in a high profile movie.
Emily Mortimer is nowhere near her LFD as far as I'm concerned.

In any case, I saw this on New Years Day with my extended family and we all enjoyed it, from ages 12 to 49. Some of the musical numbers were just okay, but a couple were excellent and I had to resist the urge to applaud. The one thing I would have liked to see was a slower ballad/tearjerker a la "Feed the Birds." I loved seeing Dick Van Dyke and Angela Lansbury, but I was underwhelmed by Meryl Streep. Emily Blunt was perfect. This may be one that we pull out and watch again every couple of years.
Old 01-03-2019, 05:52 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skammer View Post
Emily Mortimer is nowhere near her LFD as far as I'm concerned.
Sophia Loren, Raquel Welch and many others have been portrayed as sexy bombshells into their 70's.
Old 01-03-2019, 06:22 PM

Emily Mortimer is actually more attractive to me now that I know she is in her 40's

While I only know her through the characters she plays I'll quote Morphine with "You have lived and your intelligence is sexy" But maybe this is age related on my part, but I am a similar age to Emily Mortimer and many of my school mates didn't age as well, and I would argue that applies to us on the men side more.

1910 to 1935 would have put Jane Banks at 35, and nothing in Emily Mortimer bothered me with that, it shows her range even excluding physical appearances. If I had any criticism, Ben Whishaw seems to have played the role too young and it was an issue with his reversion to childhood.