Old 04-27-2018, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalC View Post
There was a bald blue guy with glasses a mustache and short shorts prominently shown in one brief shot in the collector's place.
Ha! I missed that. Thank you.
Old 04-27-2018, 06:35 PM

Quote:
I assume there just wasn't enough time to show everything, I felt the same about the first gem and what happened in Xandar.
I'm thinking the next Guardians of the Galaxy will deal with the fallout from that.
Old 04-27-2018, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silenus View Post
That said, I think the MCU will leave anybody not dusted dead at the end of Avengers 4. But, as you mentioned, I also think the fix will require great sacrifice by Tony and Steve, among others.
I saw a comment elsewhere online pointing out that Strange sat through 14 million versions of the fight and they only won one - then he didn't stop Quill from punching and waking Thanos, and gave up the Time Stone to save Stark.

The guess is that the fight he went ahead to see the end of wasn't just the punch-up with Thanos on Titan - it was the overall war. Because of what he saw, he knew that, whatever happened, they'd lose the fight on Titan, but there was a way to win the overall war - but Stark is key to it, he has to be alive when the time comes. It explains the sudden change from saying he'd let Stark and Spider Man die to save the Time Stone if necessary.

That said, I still think the number of times a Stone was handed over to prevent someone else's suffering (not just Loki and Gamora - but Strange, Eitri crafted the Gauntlet for the same reason, Vision gave his life) was too often for it to be poor writing. It's deliberate, and I'm pretty sure it'll come back into play at the end of Avengers 4: Whatever That One Will Be Called.

It's also possible that the dusted victims aren't dead exactly - but inside the Soul Stone, able to be restored. In the comics, it has that capability, and a certain amount of awareness or sentience. Not that the movies follow the comics all that closely, but I wouldn't rule it out.
Old 04-27-2018, 11:13 PM

A couple of impressions:

--Titan, a moon, has its own moon? That's like Scooby Doo, a dog, having his own dog (which also didn't work out so well).
--I was really expecting Peter Dinklage to show up as Pip the Troll, but Gierrodur was much cooler.
--In the comics that this is semi-adapting, all the disappeared people come back with a wave of the Infinity Gauntlet. Also, Loki comes back as a little kid who is so much more interesting than his adult self, he gets his own series.
--If Wanda can destroy an infinity gem, why that one instead of one of the gems Thanos already holds?
--It's eight years later, and Peter Parker is still in high school. Glad to see the movies honoring the concept of "Marvel Time."
--This is truly a clusterfuck o' heroes. Good thing the X-Men and FF aren't in the fold yet!
--If Ego and (in the comics, anyway) The Collector are revealed to have offspring, do they have to surrender their membersip in the "Elders of the Universe" club, since they are no longer the "last of their kind"?
--I thought James Cameron's comments about the superhero glut were just sour grapes, but he has a point. This isn't science fiction and, with no core integrity to what can happen from one scene to the next, it's barely storytelling.
Old 04-27-2018, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tavalla View Post
It's also possible that the dusted victims aren't dead exactly - but inside the Soul Stone, able to be restored. In the comics, it has that capability, and a certain amount of awareness or sentience. Not that the movies follow the comics all that closely, but I wouldn't rule it out.
For Avengers 4:
SPOILER:
Set photos for the next movie indicate that there will be time travel, at least as far back as the first Avengers movie.
Old 04-28-2018, 03:03 AM

I liked the movie. Didn't think it was the greatest movie ever like a lot of people seem to feel but it was a good film. The scale of it is huge! Felt like a Star Wars movie in a little of ways.
Old 04-28-2018, 03:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horatio Hellpop View Post
--It's eight years later, and Peter Parker is still in high school. Glad to see the movies honoring the concept of "Marvel Time."
We only met Peter Parker 2 years ago, he was 15 and in high school now he's 17 and still in high school. Seems reasonable to me.
Spider-man: Homecoming, though released in the summer of last year, took place during the fall semester. So, this newest movie isn't even a new school year from the last movie.
Old 04-28-2018, 05:29 AM

Quote:
A couple of impressions:

--If Wanda can destroy an infinity gem, why that one instead of one of the gems Thanos already holds?
Wanda can destroy THAT infinity gem because it's the one that created her and where her powers come from.
Old 04-28-2018, 06:10 AM
Charter Member

Haven’t seen it, but I read the plot synopsis on Wikipedia an hour ago. In my perfect Avengers 4, the climactic scene will involve Thanos just moments away from sealing his victory for all time, against any hope of redemption, when suddenly, into the action strides
SPOILER:
Mickey Mouse, in full Sorcerer’s Apprentice garb, brandishing his master Yesnid’s wand of power.

“Oh, yeah?” he will chirp in his adorable squeak. “Well, this is MY dream!”

Whereupon he will shoot balls of mystic pyrotechnics down Thanos’s throat, destroying him utterly. The music will swell in triumph, as all of the good guys reappear, good as new, and ready to return to their everyday lives of . . . good-guying.

That’s how you end a cinematic epic adventure!
Old 04-28-2018, 07:35 AM

Our own Elendil’s Heir was not invited to return. Sad.
Old 04-28-2018, 08:15 AM

Quote:
A couple of impressions:

--Titan, a moon, has its own moon? That's like Scooby Doo, a dog, having his own dog (which also didn't work out so well).
-
This isn't Titan, the moon of Saturn. It's a planet in another star system that just happens to share the same name.
Old 04-28-2018, 08:17 AM

Quote:
A
Weren't paying attention, were you? She can only destroy that gem because it gave her the power she has.

Quote:

I don't know where you get that number, but you're wrong. It's two years after Civil War. Peter Parker was a freshman in Civil War, which makes him a Junior now.
Old 04-28-2018, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RikWriter View Post
This isn't Titan, the moon of Saturn. It's a planet in another star system that just happens to share the same name.
Got a cite for that? In the comics, he is explicitly from Saturn's moon. His Wikipedia entry confirms this and doesn't mention a different Titan for the movie version.
Old 04-28-2018, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Got a cite for that? In the comics, he is explicitly from Saturn's moon. His Wikipedia entry confirms this and doesn't mention a different Titan for the movie version.
The cite is the movie where they're in a different star system. It's fairly obvious.
Old 04-28-2018, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganthet View Post
Oh, and he wiped out Gamora's entire race when he "adopted" her. Nobody is going to get a genuine impression that love was a component of any relationship Thanos had with anyone.
He wiped out half of her race (the one's on the east side of the street), because that's his thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimstu View Post
Except of course the "job" was completely pointless even from his own ruthless standpoint. I wanted to yell at the screen "Dude, have you ever even heard of the concept of EXPONENTIAL GROWTH in population dynamics?".
Big purple guy shows up, wipes out half your population explaining that there were just too many folks living there to be sustainable. The remaining population is going to do what they need to do to make sure he doesn't come back again.

It did seem like he dusted more than 50% on the battle field, but maybe not.
Old 04-28-2018, 06:15 PM

This was the first MCU movie in where I left disappointed at the end.

Like Kimstu, all I could think was that killing off half the population of the universe is the exact wrong way to take care of overpopulation issues. And when our heroes started being dusted, all I could think of was, "Well, we know that guy's gonna be in a future movie, so the next movie is going to mostly undo this movie."

I also had a really hard time remember which heroes were where.

Sure was pretty, though. And the casting of Eitri was inspired.
Old 04-28-2018, 09:49 PM

Quote:
The cite is the movie where they're in a different star system. It's fairly obvious.
That's not a cite, and it will likely be a couple months before I see this movie a second time. A cite would be a verifiable online source, and if you don't have one, just say so. No, I'll say it for you: You don't have one.
Old 04-28-2018, 09:59 PM
The Zeroeth Mod

Quote:
That's not a cite, and it will likely be a couple months before I see this movie a second time. A cite would be a verifiable online source, and if you don't have one, just say so. No, I'll say it for you: You don't have one.
I don't have any skin in this disagreement, but your stance is a little odd. So here's a source (I'm not sure how you're defining "verifiable" for these purposes).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inverse article
According to the original Marvel comics, an essential element of Thanos’s backstory — namely his unquenchable thirst for power and destruction — stems from the fact that he was born on Titan, a moon of Saturn (in the movies, he’s from a planet of the same name, located in a distant solar system).
(emphasis added)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inverse article
“[Thanos] is from a planet called Titan that’s no longer inhabited because of things that he thought he could help prevent, and he was not allowed to do that,” Marvel president Kevin Feige told Entertainment Weekly back in March. “What he feared most happened, and the planet and everybody on it basically went extinct. He vowed not to let that happen again.
(emphasis added)
Old 04-29-2018, 12:47 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Except of course the "job" was completely pointless even from his own ruthless standpoint. I wanted to yell at the screen "Dude, have you ever even heard of the concept of EXPONENTIAL GROWTH in population dynamics?"

I mean ffs, the Earth's human population more than doubled just in the 40 years from 1950 to 1990. Killing off half of all humanoid life isn't going to save anybody's environment: at best it just buys you a few decades' delay while the populations bounce back to where they were before. That's not even the blink of an eye on cosmological time scales. Not even the flicker of an eyelash.

In short, Thanos' great Genocide Quest would have been a complete futile bust as an ecological measure, even if you leave out all the catastrophic trauma and suffering.

Human(oid) societies become environmentally sustainable for the long term not by taking a one-time massive hit to their population, but by making deliberate choices about their environmental policies and birthrates. (Massive hits to the population can even result in societies ultimately becoming less environmentally sustainable long-term, as in the Thanos-like impact of the Black Death in late 14th-century England, which destroyed something like a third of the population in two years and hastened the process of "enclosure" and conversion of diverse environments to pasture.)

Thanos would have been far more effective in his stated aim of saving the habitable universe by just handing out condoms on a galactic scale and teaching the assorted peasantry about simple renewable-energy technologies. But I guess you can't make a superhero movie about that.
Quote:
Well, we also can't forget the fact that the infinity stones make him basically omnipotent, just having them makes the whole over population problem easily solvable by infinite other ways besides killing half the population. Killing half the universe had to be the actual goal for the killing itself to make sense, the moment you make it a solution to a different problem the whole plot falls apart.
Quote:
Okay, but it was Thanos himself who consistently represented the 50% genocide as a long-term solution to environmental destruction caused by overpopulation. Was he just fooling himself, or did he think he was fooling his adversaries? I'm pretty sure that Stark and Banner and Strange, for example, are familiar with the concept of exponential growth in population dynamics.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightnin' View Post

Like Kimstu, all I could think was that killing off half the population of the universe is the exact wrong way to take care of overpopulation issues.[Snip]
Indeed, the wrong way, however I think that history points at where a villain like Thanos comes from. IMHO it echoes the context of the golden age of comics, with Captain America and the Red Scull reminding us (or at least to the ones that check history) about the good and evil forces in WWII.

Back then there were powerful people that also got it wrong. Those dictators back then were hell bent on invading other countries to get "living space" for their populations by getting rid of most of the invading countries populations and they expected to get a lot of farmers from the invading countries to settle in the conquered nations and to feed the population of the empire.

It is no wonder to me that in the comics (and in the movie?) Thanos appears in the "end" to be "living as a fucking farmer" as Greathouse complains about. That was the big conclusion the evil empires of the past wanted after getting their living space. And as many of the comic book creators of the golden age could tell us, they lived to see those evildoers not getting what they wanted.

It has to be noticed also that IIUC, even by the time of WWII, there was evidence that the industrial revolution (and the growing agrarian one) was helping avoid what many the dictators of the day feared, the same fears as Thanos had. But the ideology of the dictators was already set to ignore the progress on that front.

Last edited by GIGObuster; 04-29-2018 at 12:51 AM.
Old 04-29-2018, 01:22 AM

Remember Strange’s Stond was the Time Stone which could mean it allows time travel.

I suspect we find out in Avengers 4 the reason Hulk has been sulking inside Banner is he’s so upset about getting spanked by Thanos.
Old 04-29-2018, 02:05 AM

I really enjoyed it, with a few minor complaints.

- I thought they did a really good job developing Thanos, especially since bland/forgettable villains have been a major weakness for Marvel. It's a shame they hadn't come up with a clearer picture for Thanos earlier and maybe delivered some of his backstory/motivation before, but, I do like what we got. He has a motivation that makes sense, and at least one strong personal connection to the heroes. He's almost gentlemanly in the way he'll hold up his word in "give me the stone and I'll let him live" situations, which further underscores that he's doing something he thinks is for the greater good and not just because he's an asshole.

- The plot was interesting and went interesting places, doing a good job of giving the different character groups things to do without just turning into a giant brawl of everybody vs. Thanos.

- Like Civil War, I think the Russo brothers' cinematography can be charitably described as "workmanlike"... it gets the job done, but it's kinda boring in some respects visually. And some of the fight scenes are a little hard to follow. CGI was really good though, with the exception of Proxima, who felt a bit uncanny valley (but Thanos and the other two henchmen worked well).

- Bit surprised that all the newer characters are the ones who got dusted, though I suppose that means we'll get more to do for the old guard, and proper send-offs for those who will likely actually die in the next movie.

- Only character I feel confident in saying is perma-dead is Heimdall. Loki's death was far too lampshaded (though it could be them simply leaving the door open without future plans), and I bet Gamora comes back somehow (trapped in the Soul Gem?).

Quote:
Except of course the "job" was completely pointless even from his own ruthless standpoint. I wanted to yell at the screen "Dude, have you ever even heard of the concept of EXPONENTIAL GROWTH in population dynamics?"

Thanos would have been far more effective in his stated aim of saving the habitable universe by just handing out condoms on a galactic scale and teaching the assorted peasantry about simple renewable-energy technologies. But I guess you can't make a superhero movie about that.
Well, he also mentions previous civilizations he halved as later blossoming, so maybe after slaughtering half of them he also made them wise up to the idea of conservation and such, if you want to hand-wave it.

It did definitely remind me of the Mass Effect reapers, though they would wipe out pretty much all advanced organic life every 50,000 years or so, so they might've had better numbers analysis than Thanos.
Old 04-29-2018, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightnin' View Post

Like Kimstu, all I could think was that killing off half the population of the universe is the exact wrong way to take care of overpopulation issues.
Yeah, see, Thanos is crazy and Evil and his idea is terrible and not some type of good resource control plan he just needs to tinker with a bit to get the numbers right.
Old 04-29-2018, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnusblitz View Post
Well, he also mentions previous civilizations he halved as later blossoming, so maybe after slaughtering half of them he also made them wise up to the idea of conservation and such, if you want to hand-wave it.
To repeat myself from post 65, you don't even have to hand-wave it. You certainly don't want Thanos coming back and killing 50% again (and maybe all), so any semi-rational civilization is going to do what it takes to not have that happen. Assuming he's telling the truth about Gamora's home world (and he has no reason to lie).
Old 04-29-2018, 08:25 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
- Bit surprised that all the newer characters are the ones who got dusted, though I suppose that means we'll get more to do for the old guard, and proper send-offs for those who will likely actually die in the next movie.
I agree, I think that's exactly why they did it that way. Though they also would have carefully left the characters who can implement the fix, whatever that is going to be.
Old 04-29-2018, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Except for the fact that it was a habitable planet in another star system with its own moon and doesn't resemble Titan the moon of Saturn at all, and required a jump through whatever they call their version of hyperspace to get there. But other than that, sure, whatever you say.
Old 04-29-2018, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Folacin View Post
To repeat myself from post 65, you don't even have to hand-wave it. You certainly don't want Thanos coming back and killing 50% again (and maybe all), so any semi-rational civilization is going to do what it takes to not have that happen. Assuming he's telling the truth about Gamora's home world (and he has no reason to lie).
That maybe makes sense for all the world's he's been to before, like Gamora's, but I'm not sure if that makes sense for now. Does Earth and every other inhabitable planet know why 50% of their population vanished into dust? I think the people of Earth know something is going on with the giant alien wheels causing destruction, but I don't know if they know who Thanos is and what his deal is. And I know Thanos is a big deal but does every planet know who he is? Some planets probably know and can guess what happened, but some others probably don't and figure it's a weird disease or curse and that they better make up that change in population quickly.

Also I've heard it theorized that him wiping half of everyone out of existence doesn't just mean killing them, it makes it so they never existed. So it's not like Wakanda just lost their king, T'Challa never existed and so this whole time his sister or his cousin or someone else has been ruler. (This is something that you could start nitpicking the logic of real easily but it's comic book logic.) If that's the case, then no one knows that half the population is gone, this is just the way the world is, there's no extra motivation from Thanos to know or care about sustainable population growth.
Old 04-29-2018, 12:42 PM
Sith Mod

Nah, they're disintegrated, not retconned out of existence. After Falcon vanishes, War Machine is still walking around calling for him. He clearly remembers the guy, even after he's dusted.
Old 04-29-2018, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Except for the fact that it was a habitable planet in another star system with its own moon and doesn't resemble Titan the moon of Saturn at all, and required a jump through whatever they call their version of hyperspace to get there. But other than that, sure, whatever you say.
Plus, if Thanos were a native of our solar system, you'd think he'd have turned his attention on Earth a bit earlier.
Old 04-29-2018, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Lowry View Post
That maybe makes sense for all the world's he's been to before, like Gamora's, but I'm not sure if that makes sense for now. Does Earth and every other inhabitable planet know why 50% of their population vanished into dust? I think the people of Earth know something is going on with the giant alien wheels causing destruction, but I don't know if they know who Thanos is and what his deal is. And I know Thanos is a big deal but does every planet know who he is? Some planets probably know and can guess what happened, but some others probably don't and figure it's a weird disease or curse and that they better make up that change in population quickly.
Yeah, that's a good point. Unless he uses the gauntlet to explain to the universe what just happened and why (which I assume is possible (and there is no evidence he did that)), his finger snap won't work long term.

So from one viewpoint, the long, slow slog across the universe was actually/potentially working better for his goals . . .

Last edited by Folacin; 04-29-2018 at 02:19 PM.
Old 04-29-2018, 02:38 PM

Quote:

- Only character I feel confident in saying is perma-dead is Heimdall. Loki's death was far too lampshaded (though it could be them simply leaving the door open without future plans), and I bet Gamora comes back somehow (trapped in the Soul Gem?).
The scene at the end with Thanos and child Gamora seemed very significant, as though she understood what was happening better than he did. My guess is that Gamora will work through the Soul Stone (or vice-versa) to bring back those that got dusted.
Old 04-29-2018, 02:55 PM
Friend of Cecil
Charter Member

I just want to go on record and say that there was a thread about what 1970s song was going to be resurrected for a movie and I said Rubberband Man.

Also, Peter Dinklage as a giant dwarf was a stroke of genius.
Old 04-29-2018, 03:05 PM

Favorite bit of acting - everyone who was dusted appeared understandably distressed by it (it apparently doesn't hurt), except for Wanda: her parents are dead, Pietro is dead, Vision is dead - she looked happy/relieved to be going.
Old 04-29-2018, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Folacin View Post
Favorite bit of acting - everyone who was dusted appeared understandably distressed by it (it apparently doesn't hurt), except for Wanda: her parents are dead, Pietro is dead, Vision is dead - she looked happy/relieved to be going.
My favorite was Peter knowing a lot earlier than the others, because of his spider sense, that he was fucked.
Old 04-29-2018, 03:15 PM
Friend of Cecil
Charter Member

I wish that Marvel actually did a tie-in with Ben and Jerry's. Who doesn't want to try Hulka Burning Love ice cream?
Old 04-29-2018, 03:15 PM

I have to think Banner's inability to turn into the Hulk, and the Hulk shouting "No!" will somehow come into play in 4, though I'm damned if I know how. I don't think it's just because Thanos defeated Hulk and he's scared, as suggested above - if anything, that should make Hulk more eager to fight him again.

I saw the movie last night, and I have to admit it really punched me in the gut. The theater, which had been full of cheering and clapping people, was almost dead silent through all the credits. Followed by a buzz of wonder after the Fury/Hill/Capt. Marvel scene. But I'm still in the doldrums today.

BTW, in Friday night's "Agents of SHIELD", there was a commercial for Avengers that showed a bunch of empty couches from some of their shows - Modern Family, GMA, Kimmel, followed by a promo for Infinity War and "playing now". The innocent implication being that everyone from those shows is at the movies, but having seen it, the commercial has a much darker interpretation.
Old 04-29-2018, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muldoonthief View Post
I saw the movie last night, and I have to admit it really punched me in the gut. The theater, which had been full of cheering and clapping people, was almost dead silent through all the credits. Followed by a buzz of wonder after the Fury/Hill/Capt. Marvel scene. But I'm still in the doldrums today.
The same happened in theatre in which I was watching it. I loved the movie. 10 out of 10 for me.
Old 04-29-2018, 03:35 PM

There wasn't any quiet in mine, kids were straight up sobbing all around me.

Last edited by DigitalC; 04-29-2018 at 03:35 PM.
Old 04-29-2018, 05:45 PM
Corellian Nerfherder

I agree with several of you that they did a really good job of tying in the multiple plotlines, and seguing between them.

It's interesting (and likely relevant) that all of the original Avengers are still alive (though we don't know this for certain about Hawkeye yet).

As we were driving home from the film, we were discussing who was gone, and my wife mentioned Groot. "But, wait!," I said. "Groot isn't gone! Part of him is in Stormbringer!"

I have no idea if that'll come into play or not, but I was tickled that I thought of it.
Old 04-29-2018, 07:14 PM

I thought the Iron Spider suit was cool (especially the auxiliary appendages) but character-wise I don't like it (and, yes, I know it has shown up in the comic books). I want Spider-man's powers and advantages to come from being Spider-man/Peter instead of coming from tech developed for him from someone else.

I didn't like the high tech suit in Homecoming, especially didn't like that it had a built-in Jarvis-like OS.
Having the suit taken away from him was great for plot/character since he had to battle the big bad without any Stark tech but the result was that it proved that he "earned"/"deserved" a high tech suit, setting that up to be the norm for this version of Spider-man.

I've always loved the character for how resourceful he can be, how he can make due and improvise.

He's so much more interesting as his own guy rather than as a Stark protege.
Old 04-29-2018, 07:17 PM
Corellian Nerfherder

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenobi 65 View Post
As we were driving home from the film, we were discussing who was gone, and my wife mentioned Groot. "But, wait!," I said. "Groot isn't gone! Part of him is in Stormbringer!"
*facepalms over my own typo*

Stormbreaker. Stormbringer was Elric's sword.
Old 04-29-2018, 07:33 PM

I also think that Hulk was scared to face Thanos again. The real world reason I think is they wanted Mark Ruffalo to have a chance to act and this movie was like 80% climax so he would normally just be the Hulk for most of it.
Old 04-29-2018, 07:41 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenobi 65 View Post
I agree with several of you that they did a really good job of tying in the multiple plotlines, and seguing between them.

It's interesting (and likely relevant) that all of the original Avengers are still alive (though we don't know this for certain about Hawkeye yet).

I have no idea if that'll come into play or not, but I was tickled that I thought of it.
I thought it was called Stonebreaker, which I thought was odd, but I didn't hear what Dinklage said all that well. Stormbringer is much more apropos, although naming an axe after Elric's soul-eating sword strikes me as a very bad idea.

ETA: Stormbreaker? OK, that works far better.

Last edited by Morgyn; 04-29-2018 at 07:42 PM.
Old 04-29-2018, 08:01 PM

Stormbringer, Stormbreaker -- either way it's a bit much, don't you think?

Last edited by Jophiel; 04-29-2018 at 08:01 PM.
Old 04-29-2018, 08:40 PM
2012 SDMB NFL Salary Cap Champ
Charter Member

I don't think I've heard an audience as unhappy at the end of the movie since I saw The VVitch. I still think I was the only person in the theater who liked that one. As for the next Avengers, it both left me wondering how they're going to push the reset button and reminded me of why I was and am looking forward more towards Ant-Man and Deadpool.
Old 04-29-2018, 08:49 PM
Corellian Nerfherder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgyn View Post
ETA: Stormbreaker? OK, that works far better.
In the comic books, Stormbreaker was the name of the Mjolnir-like warhammer which was made for Beta Ray Bill (by Eitri, in fact).

Last edited by kenobi 65; 04-29-2018 at 08:49 PM.
Old 04-29-2018, 10:44 PM

Yeah, there was stunned silence in my cinema too.
Old 04-29-2018, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ike Witt View Post
I wish that Marvel actually did a tie-in with Ben and Jerry's. Who doesn't want to try Hulka Burning Love ice cream?
If I heard it correctly, it was Hulka Hulka Burnin' Fudge, thankyouverymuch. And wasn't Tony's Ben & Jerry's flavor Stark Raving Nuts?
Old 04-29-2018, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuanoLad View Post
Maybe they're not dead, and they're just in a parallel universe.
I had a thought about this. Didn't Spiderman say "I don't want to go" just before he fell apart? Not "I don't want to die," but "I don't want to go."

Perhaps the universe divided in two. Everyone who crumbled went to a "spin-off" universe. Half of everyone is in the original universe, and the other half are now in the spin-off, with no means to contact each other.
Old 04-30-2018, 01:16 AM
Corellian Nerfherder

Quote:
Originally Posted by GESancMan View Post
I had a thought about this. Didn't Spiderman say "I don't want to go" just before he fell apart? Not "I don't want to die," but "I don't want to go."
Interesting thought, though my wife thinks that it was a Doctor Who reference; it was what the David Tennant Doctor said just before he regenerated.
Old 04-30-2018, 03:41 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GESancMan View Post
Perhaps the universe divided in two. Everyone who crumbled went to a "spin-off" universe. Half of everyone is in the original universe, and the other half are now in the spin-off, with no means to contact each other.
Yes, exactly. It's a very Agents of SHIELD or Star Trek story idea I suppose, but if there's any Avenger who is capable of dimensional travel, they may be the key. Thor, maybe.