Old 05-01-2018, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alessan View Post
"Wakanda forever!"
Thanks. Wonder why they'd chose such a loaded translation...

Quote:
And you really shouldn't watch dubbed movies. Were there no other options?
I normally try to avoid it. But the only theater around here that regularly shows original versions is comparatively small, and I wanted to see this one on the really big screen. I can always watch the original version later.
Old 05-01-2018, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omniscient View Post
WTF is with Vision? He's basically one of the most powerful Avengers and he has an Infinity Stone. Why the heck was he do useless in every fight? That really bugged me.
Yeah, me too. I guess the idea was that he got hit hard early on with a blade through the chest, so never was operating on full power, but then that just raises the question how an alien dude in full emo armor with a ginormous blade-ax-thing could just sneak up on Vision and Scarlet Witch (who in particular should have been looking straight at him)... I know it's sort of a film convention that characters can't see what's not in the frame, but I thought this was sort of ridiculous. Reminds me of those horror movies were characters habitually get sneaked up on by giant, lumbering, growling beasts...

Quote:
As far as I know Scarlett Witch is just a human with magic powers. How can she fall 20 stories though a glass roof and be unscathed? At least show her creating a force field or something.
I think there was at least a brief flash of her red energy in those scenes, but I'm not totally sure. Still, even taking a hit that sends her flying that far should have turned her insides into mush, basically.

Quote:
Black Widow is a good character, but she's a human spy. She can fight Cap or Bucky and survive but not a being like Proxima. For that matter Cap is a roided up dude. He can't stand up to Thanos who made light work of Hulk.
Yeah, it was obvious that they needed something to do for Black Widow---at the power level most of the combatants in this fight were at, she otherwise would have been completely sidelined.

I thought the Cap vs. Thanos bit was well done, though---you can see Thanos isn't really putting effort into it, he almost seems a little disappointed, and then he just punches Cap out.

One thing I missed during the film---how did Bruce end up in the Hulkbuster armor? That completely passed me by...
Old 05-01-2018, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Half Man Half Wit View Post
One thing I missed during the film---how did Bruce end up in the Hulkbuster armor? That completely passed me by...
They don't say. If it found its way into Wakanda during Black Panther (I never saw it) or some other way, they don't specify in IW.
Old 05-01-2018, 07:49 AM
Friend of Cecil
Charter Member

Quote:

I'm betting Heimdall, Loki and Gamora are properly dead.
I can get behind the idea that Heimdall and Loki are dead dead. But everyone who died in the great snappening isn't dead dead. I don't think that Gamora is dead dead either, because she was 'traded' for one of the stones.

The really sad thing is that Marvel does have a path forward where there will end up being no real consequences for the heroes. I will be pretty bitter if that does come to pass.
Old 05-01-2018, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller View Post

I don't know what credit you think I'm giving him by pointing out that his plan was to only murder 50% of the members of every species in the universe, not 100%, and I'm genuinely baffled that you think I'm somehow arguing that Thanos was heroic. Yeah, no shit he's not a hero. He murdered half the universe.
You seemed to think he cared about species and things going extinct. My point is he didn't give a shit about any of that and the only creature in the universe he was sure wouldn't die was himself.
Old 05-01-2018, 08:41 AM

Quote:
They pretty much explicitly state that #3 is what happened when Ego died. Peter is a run of the mill Terran now as are all his living offspring.
I thought so, too, but why then did he say, in this movie, that he's half human? (Something like, "I'm half human, so the half of me that's dumb...")
Old 05-01-2018, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jophiel View Post
They don't say. If it found its way into Wakanda during Black Panther (I never saw it) or some other way, they don't specify in IW.
It didn't - no mention of the Hulkbuster suit in BP. But remember, the Hulkbuster armor is in orbit, so Tony can call it wherever/whenever he needs it. Since Bruce is the co-creator of the Hulkbuster suit, it's reasonable that he has the access codes for it, and that he'd be the one using it.
Old 05-01-2018, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ike Witt View Post
I can get behind the idea that Heimdall and Loki are dead dead. But everyone who died in the great snappening isn't dead dead. I don't think that Gamora is dead dead either, because she was 'traded' for one of the stones.

The really sad thing is that Marvel does have a path forward where there will end up being no real consequences for the heroes. I will be pretty bitter if that does come to pass.
Back when I read the comics, people killed by the possessor of the Soul Stone went into the stone itself (there were 1000s of people "living" in it) - my bet is that Gamora is there, as well as everyone killed by the snap (yeah, half the universe's sentients). This theory is bolstered by her appearing to Thanos at the end (as a child).
Old 05-01-2018, 10:52 AM

Quote:
WTF is with Vision? He's basically one of the most powerful Avengers and he has an Infinity Stone. Why the heck was he do useless in every fight? That really bugged me.
Actually yeah, that whole fight bugged me too. Vision and Scarlet Witch are the biggest powers in the Avengers, any henchmen that could give both of them trouble would wipe the floor with Cap Falcon and Black Widow. They are both infinity stone powered, they should be a match for Thanos.
Old 05-01-2018, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muldoonthief View Post
It didn't - no mention of the Hulkbuster suit in BP. But remember, the Hulkbuster armor is in orbit, so Tony can call it wherever/whenever he needs it. Since Bruce is the co-creator of the Hulkbuster suit, it's reasonable that he has the access codes for it, and that he'd be the one using it.
Or they ma just have been keeping it at Avengers HQ in upstate NY. Remember they stopped there to pick up Rhodey (and tell off Secretary Ross) before heading to Wakanda?
Old 05-01-2018, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Or they ma just have been keeping it at Avengers HQ in upstate NY. Remember they stopped there to pick up Rhodey (and tell off Secretary Ross) before heading to Wakanda?
True. Actually, given the reality of orbital mechanics (hah), there should be a bunch in orbit so there's always one in range of an unanticipated Hulk event. So they could have had a platoon of them in Wakanda.
Old 05-01-2018, 11:29 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serenata67 View Post
I thought so, too, but why then did he say, in this movie, that he's half human? (Something like, "I'm half human, so the half of me that's dumb...")
I figure that's just talking about his parentage, and not about his"power" so to speak. Plus, it was a joke, so you can probably toss it for the most part.
Old 05-01-2018, 11:31 AM

Quote:
We got a bunch of guy's contracts running out. Coincidentally(?) they're all the guys that lived. No way some of them don't die by the end of the next movie. I bet Stark, Cap, and possibly Thor die at minimum.

Last edited by Ashtura; 05-01-2018 at 11:31 AM.
Old 05-01-2018, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serenata67
3. When Ego stopped existing, Peter became pure human somehow and not some Ego-human hybrid.
Quote:
They pretty much explicitly state that #3 is what happened when Ego died. Peter is a run of the mill Terran now as are all his living offspring.
Quote:
Ego explains that his and Quill's powers come from Ego's original planet self. He warns that Quill's power will be lost and that he will become mortal if Ego's planet self is destroyed.

So, Quill is mortal now. He is without godlike powers. But if he were to do Ancenstry .com or 23 and Me, his genetic makeup would still be half Celestial. It's like if someone had an Italian father and an English mother and the father died early and the mother moved with the baby to Saskatoon... the baby would lose the power to speak Italian but would still be half Italian.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shantih View Post
Peter Quill said for everyone to put on their mean faces right before they arrived at the site of the Asgardian ship, and Mantis did her very best.
"Kick names, take ass!"
Old 05-01-2018, 11:38 AM

Keep in mind this "he doesn't kill unique individuals" thing is COMPLETELY speculative. I personally don't believe it.
Old 05-01-2018, 11:40 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Half Man Half Wit View Post
Yeah, me too. I guess the idea was that he got hit hard early on with a blade through the chest, so never was operating on full power, but then that just raises the question how an alien dude in full emo armor with a ginormous blade-ax-thing could just sneak up on Vision and Scarlet Witch (who in particular should have been looking straight at him)... I know it's sort of a film convention that characters can't see what's not in the frame, but I thought this was sort of ridiculous. Reminds me of those horror movies were characters habitually get sneaked up on by giant, lumbering, growling beasts...
The best rationale I can come up with is that the Glaive he was stabbed with had special powers that neutralized him. But the movie didn't provide any background on that.

Quote:
Yeah, will be interesting to see if they try and pull off a comic style alternate reality/timeline in the movies. Part of me thinks they'll lose the casual fan if they try that.
Old 05-01-2018, 11:52 AM

Quote:
The best rationale I can come up with is that the Glaive he was stabbed with had special powers that neutralized him. But the movie didn't provide any background on that.
Vision basically said as much and Wanda said she thought that was impossible.
Old 05-01-2018, 12:03 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by enalzi View Post
Vision basically said as much and Wanda said she thought that was impossible.
I don't remember that line.

Another thing I liked. They never had Tony and Cap/Bucky together. Would have been lame to totally whitewash the end of Civil War.
Old 05-01-2018, 12:10 PM

Quote:
After he got stabbed and Wanda temporarily got them away, he said "I can't phase."
Old 05-01-2018, 12:28 PM

Quote:

Another thing I liked. They never had Tony and Cap/Bucky together. Would have been lame to totally whitewash the end of Civil War.
I mean, I don't want them to instantly be okay, but there's no way either of them are dying without resolving that storyline.
Old 05-01-2018, 02:43 PM

One thing I really like: the "Thanos will return" credit at the end. That's usually reserved for the hero of the film. "The avengers will return", "Spiderman will return" etc. More fuel for the idea that, in Thanos's mind, he's the hero of the entire story.

Overall, quite pleased with the movie, although I would have liked more quips and fewer big incomprehensible fight scenes. Do we really care about zillions of faceless Wakandans vs zillions of faceless aliens?
Old 05-01-2018, 02:59 PM
Isaiah 1:15/Screw the NRA
Charter Member

Quote:

I read an article somewhere that made the case that the screenwriters really screwed up on Thanos. It basically said that his infatuation with Death from the comics was a better way to go. Specifically that Hela from Ragnarok was already perfectly set up to fill that role. I think that's a good point though I don't have all the background on the while Death plot. Would have been nice to bring Cate back anyways even if she's off screen most of the movie.
Especially since they set that up all the way back in the stinger for The Avengers. Wasted opportunity, that.
Old 05-01-2018, 03:05 PM

Quote:
I mean, I don't want them to instantly be okay, but there's no way either of them are dying without resolving that storyline.
My prediction: they fix everything at the end when Mr. "We Don't Trade Lives (except all these other people)" gives himself up to save Iron Man for reasons. Tony finally gives in to Pepper and gives up all the Iron Men (again) and Thor finds a home for the rest of the Asgardians, leaving the superhero life for people that aren't God-emperors.

But honestly, there were five separate times in the movie when these benevolent, un-selfish heroes could have stopped Thanos, and instead, well...didn't. Loki says, "Screw it", and Thanos never gets the Power Stone. Same with Gamora and the Soul Stone, and Wanda/Cap with the Mind Stone. The only one that is defensible is Strange with the Time Stone, given the obvious setup of "searching 14 million futures" for success. And had Starlord not lost his shit just as they were about to succeed, same thing. Strange portals everyone back to Earth, and Thanos gets to live out his days alone on his home planet, reminded yet again of his failure.

But this way, we get a sequel and more superhero movie mashup, so I won't complain.
Old 05-01-2018, 03:37 PM

While Thanos seems like the sort of guy who enjoys a good game of "Do what I want or I'll pop this guy's head", is there any reason to believe that he couldn't have just beat the shit out of Loki and taken the stone anyway? Loki had it hidden but Thanos knew that he had it.

Last edited by Jophiel; 05-01-2018 at 03:40 PM.
Old 05-01-2018, 03:38 PM

Quote:
And had Starlord not lost his shit just as they were about to succeed, same thing.
To be fair, there is no proof they would have succeeded in removing the gauntlet even if Starlord hadn't lost his shit. Or that Thanos wouldn't have gotten it back somehow. Dude's still powerful even without the gauntlet. I'd like to think the fate of half the universe didn't soley rest on Starlord being an idiot.

Last edited by Ashtura; 05-01-2018 at 03:39 PM.
Old 05-01-2018, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashtura View Post
To be fair, there is no proof they would have succeeded in removing the gauntlet even if Starlord hadn't lost his shit. Or that Thanos wouldn't have gotten it back somehow. Dude's still powerful even without the gauntlet. I'd like to think the fate of half the universe didn't soley rest on Starlord being an idiot.
Spider-Man actually got the gauntlet off just as Thanos woke up - you could see his entire left hand. But he grabbed it and put it back on immediately. One more second and they could have at least tried to keep the gauntlet away from him. Like by Dr. Strange opening a portal for Spidey to take it back to Earth.

Last edited by muldoonthief; 05-01-2018 at 03:48 PM.
Old 05-01-2018, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muldoonthief View Post
Spider-Man actually got the gauntlet off just as Thanos woke up - you could see his entire left hand. But he grabbed it and put it back on immediately. One more second and they could have at least tried to keep the gauntlet away from him. Like by Dr. Strange opening a portal for Spidey to take it back to Earth.
Coulda, woulda, shoulda. I think it is obvious that the best path was only achievable playing out exactly as it did. And I don't think it's a path where necessarily everyone lives.
Old 05-01-2018, 03:54 PM

This movie makes me wish I had seen Civil War, Ragnarok, and Black Panther. That's simultaneously annoying and very cool.
Old 05-01-2018, 03:55 PM

Quote:
While Thanos seems like the sort of guy who enjoys a good game of "Do what I want or I'll pop this guy's head", is there any reason to believe that he couldn't have just beat the shit out of Loki and taken the stone anyway? Loki had it hidden but Thanos knew that he had it.
This. Lokis options were not "let Thor die and keep the stone" or "give up the stone". They were give up the stone and save some people or everyone dies and Thanos gets the stone anyways. At every point the heroes only move was to save who they could to fight later or to slightly inconvenience Thanos quest for the stones. Even destroying the mind stone was only a temporary setback because they couldn't destroy the time stone. The only one who would have been more than a minor inconvenience would have been Gamora, but she found the stone so Thanos could find it eventually also.
Old 05-01-2018, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Coulda, woulda, shoulda. I think it is obvious that the best path was only achievable playing out exactly as it did. And I don't think it's a path where necessarily everyone lives.
I was responding to your claim that there was "no proof" that they could have removed the gauntlet. There was proof - the fact they actually did it.
Old 05-01-2018, 04:33 PM

As I follow along, I get this feeling like people are taking about Dr. Strange's motives the same way people talk about the existence of evil.

God lets evil happen because he knows it will bring about good.
Therefore, we can't argue about God's reason for allowing evil.

Dr. Strange lets people die and do seemingly stupid stuff because it will bring about the defeat of Thanos.
Therefore, we can't argue with Strange.

This is extremely simplified (seriously, the problem of evil has stymied theologians for centuries), but I get this sort of resignation about everyone's fate. Eh, Strange thinks it's the right thing to do... so it must be.
Old 05-01-2018, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Thanos killed Loki after Loki 'swore allegiance' and then attempted to stab him in the throat. Thanos had already beaten him (and thor, and at that point, the hulk) to a bloody pulp and Loki hadn't given it up - as the theme was, he gave it up to save Thor.

Loki's gambit to give up the stone and then kill Thanos failed - he really is the worst.

Otherwise - you have a good question - what would have happened to the stone if Loki died before retrieving it? I assume it would have stayed where it was (pocket dimension).

Last edited by simster; 05-01-2018 at 04:35 PM.
Old 05-01-2018, 04:37 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by silenus View Post
Especially since they set that up all the way back in the stinger for The Avengers. Wasted opportunity, that.
Refresh my memory?
Old 05-01-2018, 04:39 PM
Isaiah 1:15/Screw the NRA
Charter Member

The Other: "Humans. They are not the cowering wretches we were promised. They stand. They are unruly, and therefore cannot be ruled. To challenge them is to court...Death."

Thanos turns his head...and smiles.
Old 05-01-2018, 04:57 PM

From start (ship arrives in New York - Spidey, IronMan and Dr. Strange leave aboard it) - until the final snap - how many hours/days do we think passed on screen?

I know it's night time in Scotland - but that coould be same 'time' as it was in new york (evening in new york , nite in scotland) and we're definitely in day in wakanda during the big battle.

We thinking this whole war was over in the span of a few hours?

I know that 'some time' passed between Xander and Asgard attacks....

Last edited by simster; 05-01-2018 at 04:58 PM.
Old 05-01-2018, 04:59 PM

This gives Thanos more motivation for his goals though. I can already tell I like "Doing evil to try and save the universe" Thanos more than I would like "Trying to impress a chick in a robe" Thanos
Old 05-01-2018, 05:01 PM
Corellian Nerfherder

Quote:
Originally Posted by simster View Post
I know it's night time in Scotland - but that coould be same 'time' as it was in new york (evening in new york , nite in scotland)
Given that Wanda and Vision are watching news coverage of the New York attack (though likely not in real time), I assumed that the attack on them occurred very soon after the New York attack.
Old 05-01-2018, 05:09 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by silenus View Post
The Other: "Humans. They are not the cowering wretches we were promised. They stand. They are unruly, and therefore cannot be ruled. To challenge them is to court...Death."

Thanos turns his head...and smiles.
Nice. Wonder if at the time they intended to go with that storyline and changed mid-cycle.
Old 05-01-2018, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenobi 65 View Post
Given that Wanda and Vision are watching news coverage of the New York attack (though likely not in real time), I assumed that the attack on them occurred very soon after the New York attack.
Yes, I figure both ships hit opposite sides of Earth at around the same time (it would make sense to coordinate attacks). From there it's a Quinjet flight to New York, and then over to Wakanda (where it's now daytime). I think the whole thing went down in less than a day.
Old 05-01-2018, 05:31 PM

I liked how Loki referred to himself as "Odinson" right before he attacked Thanos. That was a nice little touch.
Old 05-01-2018, 05:37 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by simster View Post
From start (ship arrives in New York - Spidey, IronMan and Dr. Strange leave aboard it) - until the final snap - how many hours/days do we think passed on screen?

I know it's night time in Scotland - but that coould be same 'time' as it was in new york (evening in new york , nite in scotland) and we're definitely in day in wakanda during the big battle.

We thinking this whole war was over in the span of a few hours?

I know that 'some time' passed between Xander and Asgard attacks....
I'd say 4-5 days.

The original attack on the Asgardians leads to the Black Order flying to Earth and Thanos flying to Knowhere which took them maybe a day.

The flight from Scotland to New York to Wakanda is probably at least 12 hours even with Quinjet tech. The flight from Earth to Titan is also probably a half a day at least. So you have to assume there's a day or two transitioning from Act 1 to Act 2.

The Black Order also needed to gather the army of Outriders and get them to Wakanda for the big battle between Act 1 and Act 3. Not something that snaps into place.

I suppose Thanos has the Space Stone at this point, but they show them all travelling in ships so I'm going to assume he didn't teleport everyone everywhere.
Old 05-01-2018, 05:41 PM

Quote:
I'd say 4-5 days.

The original attack on the Asgardians leads to the Black Order flying to Earth and Thanos flying to Knowhere which took them maybe a day.

The flight from Scotland to New York to Wakanda is probably at least 12 hours even with Quinjet tech. The flight from Earth to Titan is also probably a half a day at least. So you have to assume there's a day or two transitioning from Act 1 to Act 2.

The Black Order also needed to gather the army of Outriders and get them to Wakanda for the big battle between Act 1 and Act 3. Not something that snaps into place.

I suppose Thanos has the Space Stone at this point, but they show them all travelling in ships so I'm going to assume he didn't teleport everyone everywhere.
Banner was teleported directly to Earth and the ships aren't far behind him.
Old 05-01-2018, 05:54 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir T-Cups View Post
This gives Thanos more motivation for his goals though. I can already tell I like "Doing evil to try and save the universe" Thanos more than I would like "Trying to impress a chick in a robe" Thanos
I actually didn't hate the motivation in the movie. I get the arguments against it being effective, but that's a fact easily hand waved away. There's a lot more suspension of disbelief needed elsewhere where science and math are concerned.

But I do think there's something to be said for making Thanos a nihilist as opposed to a eugenicist. The zealotry that comes with infatuation and nihilism is a bit scarier and harder to reason with. In the movie Thonos claims he's helping these worlds crumbling under overpopulation, but why the hell would he care about all these other races?

Ultimately it's a small point and I can see that the exposition needed to make Thanos lovestruck and frame Hela as his muse or introduce another Lady Death would have weighed down the plot even more than it already was.
Old 05-01-2018, 05:57 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Banner was teleported directly to Earth and the ships aren't far behind him.
I thought about that....but why use ships at all if you're teleporting? Ebony Maw obviously flew back. That part felt like "Marvel time" to me.

Even if the baddies do teleport, all the good guys travel like normal. What are the baddies doing in the meantime?

Last edited by Omniscient; 05-01-2018 at 05:58 PM.
Old 05-01-2018, 06:13 PM

Quote:
I thought about that....but why use ships at all if you're teleporting? Ebony Maw obviously flew back. That part felt like "Marvel time" to me.

Even if the baddies do teleport, all the good guys travel like normal. What are the baddies doing in the meantime?
I'm not saying they're teleporting, just that the ships are really really fast. Thor's ship was already on it's way to Earth so we don't really know how far away they were, but they certainly didn't take more than a day to get from Earth to Titan.
Old 05-01-2018, 06:26 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I'm not saying they're teleporting, just that the ships are really really fast. Thor's ship was already on it's way to Earth so we don't really know how far away they were, but they certainly didn't take more than a day to get from Earth to Titan.
When Maw and then Stark/Strange/Peter were flying back to Titan, they clearly were at it for quite a while. Ships I'm sure are fast, but not Bifrost fast, which is pretty much what that scene implied.

Last edited by Omniscient; 05-01-2018 at 06:27 PM.
Old 05-01-2018, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Dr. Strange lets people die and do seemingly stupid stuff because it will bring about the defeat of Thanos.
Therefore, we can't argue with Strange.
Well, the problem is that we have no real idea what we're arguing against. The Avengers still put up their best fight. Strange, after seeing the future, went from "I'll totally let you chumps die for this stone" to trading it in to save Stark. Maybe he did it because he saw that was the path to ultimately stopping Thanos. Maybe his "Stone > You Guys" resolve wasn't what he thought -- which still wouldn't make him any worse than the others who traded a stone to save a life. He sees the future, Thanos comes in, Execute Plan "Get the Glove", Quill dorks it up, Thanos kicks everyone's ass. Strange didn't seem to be sandbagging it at any point during those events.

The "why does God let bad things happen?" question exists because it presupposes that God could, at a whim, stop those things. Strange appears to have given his all in the fight leading up to his defeat and wasn't just saying "Eh, whatever. Here's your rock".

I do half expect that Thanos' eventual defeat will NOT go 100% as Strange saw it with some quippy "Guess I should have looked at 40-million-yadda-plus-one timelines" remark. You don't want to write it all off to predestination, after all.

Last edited by Jophiel; 05-01-2018 at 06:50 PM.
Old 05-01-2018, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Well, the problem is that we have no real idea what we're arguing against. The Avengers still put up their best fight. Strange, after seeing the future, went from "I'll totally let you chumps die for this stone" to trading it in to save Stark. Maybe he did it because he saw that was the path to ultimately stopping Thanos. Maybe his "Stone > You Guys" resolve wasn't what he thought -- which still wouldn't make him any worse than the others who traded a stone to save a life. He sees the future, Thanos comes in, Execute Plan "Get the Glove", Quill dorks it up, Thanos kicks everyone's ass. Strange didn't seem to be sandbagging it at any point during those events.

The "why does God let bad things happen?" question exists because it presupposes that God could, at a whim, stop those things. Strange appears to have given his all in the fight leading up to his defeat and wasn't just saying "Eh, whatever. Here's your rock".

I do half expect that Thanos' eventual defeat will NOT go 100% as Strange saw it with some quippy "Guess I should have looked at 40-million-yadda-plus-one timelines" remark. You don't want to write it all off to predestination, after all.
The way i saw it was that there was no way to defeat Thanos at all, with just one single infinity stone he could have wiped out the Avengers with barely any thought like Ronan planned to do to Xandar. The only thing that kept him from doing this was that he sees himself as a hero for leaving half a planet alive. By the time of the fight on titan he had the reality stone, which meant he could have ended the fight instantly the moment he felt like it. That whole fight was Thanos just having fun, like that line from the trailer that got cut. Strange had to have seen that they never had a chance of stopping him, any chance of victory had to come after Thanos achieved his goal.
Old 05-01-2018, 07:10 PM
Sith Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quimby View Post
You seemed to think he cared about species and things going extinct. My point is he didn't give a shit about any of that and the only creature in the universe he was sure wouldn't die was himself.
He does care about other species going extinct, though - that's explicitly his motivation through the entire film. He's killing 50% of the universe because he's convinced that if he doesn't, 100% of it is going to die. I'm not saying that makes him a hero, or "right" in any sense, but he does, indisputably, care about extinction. If he didn't, none of his actions in the film make any sense.

Quote:
Keep in mind this "he doesn't kill unique individuals" thing is COMPLETELY speculative. I personally don't believe it.
Well, that's not actually what I'm suggesting. He'd absolutely kill the last member of a species if it was necessary to complete his over-all goal. But his over-all goal is, "Reduce all species to a sustainable population," and "one" is already pretty well below that threshold.
Old 05-01-2018, 07:53 PM

Quote:
I liked how Loki referred to himself as "Odinson" right before he attacked Thanos. That was a nice little touch.
And looked right at Thor as he was saying it. I believe that was his way of saying "I don't expect to survive this, but I want you to know that you are my brother and I love you."