Old 05-01-2018, 08:41 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omniscient View Post
I actually didn't hate the motivation in the movie. I get the arguments against it being effective, but that's a fact easily hand waved away. There's a lot more suspension of disbelief needed elsewhere where science and math are concerned.

But I do think there's something to be said for making Thanos a nihilist as opposed to a eugenicist. The zealotry that comes with infatuation and nihilism is a bit scarier and harder to reason with. In the movie Thonos claims he's helping these worlds crumbling under overpopulation, but why the hell would he care about all these other races?

Ultimately it's a small point and I can see that the exposition needed to make Thanos lovestruck and frame Hela as his muse or introduce another Lady Death would have weighed down the plot even more than it already was.
This feels like another way to come at my “Thanos was changed from Chaotic Evil to Lawful Evil” point. It changes things when Thanos isn’t liable to lose his shit, doesn’t it?

Again, I am good with the choice given the needs of the MCU - I am just surprised this wasn’t presented as a key difference, just like not including Death has been discussed.
Old 05-01-2018, 09:10 PM

Alignment Nerd Stuff:

I still don't buy that he's lawful. For one thing, he constantly prattles on about the need for balance. That's the ethos of neutrality. For another, someone lawful wouldn't randomly dust 50% of the universe's population. Imagine the chaos and breakdown of order which follows having half the population instantly wiped out. But Thanos doesn't care about that. He thinks that we (collectively) have gotten too far and too successful and wildly swinging the scales in the other direction is the best way to restore a balance. That has Neutrality written all over it. The couple little things like "He kept his word if you handed over the stone" doesn't make him Lawful; Neutral aligned people don't break promises for the hell of it. If Strange had handed over the stone and then Stark attacked Thanos and Thanos said "You're lucky that he bought your life and I'm keeping my word" then maybe. But just promising something and then doing it in absence of a compelling reason to break it doesn't mean much. And it certainly wouldn't over ride the whole "restore balance by killing half of you all" thing.

Morally, of course, he's all sorts of evil since his methods involve theft, murder, torture, kidnapping, etc. Neutral Evil.

Last edited by Jophiel; 05-01-2018 at 09:11 PM.
Old 05-01-2018, 09:13 PM
Charter Member

I bow to your nerd expertise. I heard about it over the past coupla days for the first time. I am just trying to express that Thanos’s nature has changed in the MCU, I believe.

Last edited by WordMan; 05-01-2018 at 09:14 PM.
Old 05-02-2018, 01:02 AM
Charter Member

If you treat this Wikipedia article as a source, Neutral Evil fits pretty good.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alig...ns_%26_Dragons)
Old 05-02-2018, 01:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jophiel View Post
For another, someone lawful wouldn't randomly dust 50% of the universe's population. Imagine the chaos and breakdown of order which follows having half the population instantly wiped out.
And furthermore, there's really no way he wiped out only 50%; it's gotta be some margin more, at least, since, as you say, the whole thing resulted in lots of chaos. Think about the helicopter we saw crashing into the building: even those spared a blowin'-in-the-wind fate in there are now gonna be dead. Or think of the people driving cars, flying planes, doing life-saving medical work, and so on.
Old 05-02-2018, 03:17 AM

My prediction for how this will play out in Avengers 4 is that Thanos will decide he misses Gamora too much and try to use the time stone to bring her back. Of course the soul stone won't be happy about that, it will create some kind of alternative reality that the heroes use to undo some of what Thanos has done. I really hope they don't undo everyone that was dusted, that feels cheap. Some of them need to stay dead, ie for whatever reason they can bring back some of the people dusted but not all of them. Otherwise the whole franchise just becomes, "time travel fixes everything" deus ex machina. Yawn.

Seems very odd to me that all of the Guardians of the Galaxy were dusted except Rocket (Nebula isn't really core member). As an aside I thought I saw in a trailer where Rocket was commenting on how primitive Tony Stark's tech and weapons were. I don't remember seeing that in the movie, did I miss it?

And boo to Loki probably being dead for good. He's one of my favorite characters in the whole franchise.

Last edited by coremelt; 05-02-2018 at 03:19 AM.
Old 05-02-2018, 03:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GESancMan View Post
I had a thought about that, too. Thanos said "you should have gone for the head!" Perhaps there will be some big cosmic do-over, and Thor will do just that.
I thought he said "you should have gone for the hand", as in cutting off the hand that was holding the infinity gauntlet. That makes more sense to me, given all we know of Thanos there is no guarantee an axe through his head would kill him. However we saw that Thor's new axe could penetrate his flesh so it should have been able to cut his hand off as well.
Old 05-02-2018, 04:30 AM
Charter Member

Definitely said head.
Old 05-02-2018, 04:56 AM

Didn't sound like it to me, and as I pointed out, hand makes more sense.
Old 05-02-2018, 06:09 AM

Seen it twice, heard 'head' both times.
And IMDB agrees.

Last edited by galen ubal; 05-02-2018 at 06:13 AM.
Old 05-02-2018, 06:47 AM

The subtitles here definitely said "head".

Also, it's a better line.

"Go for the head" is a thing.
"Go for the hand" isn't; if that was what he meant, he should have said "gone for my hand."

It make sense that Thor went for his chest, BTW. Thor is a soldier, and soldiers are trained to aim for center mass. An assassin would have aimed for the head.
Old 05-02-2018, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Half Man Half Wit View Post
And furthermore, there's really no way he wiped out only 50%; it's gotta be some margin more, at least, since, as you say, the whole thing resulted in lots of chaos. Think about the helicopter we saw crashing into the building: even those spared a blowin'-in-the-wind fate in there are now gonna be dead. Or think of the people driving cars, flying planes, doing life-saving medical work, and so on.
And you have to feel bad for the races that have already gone through his culling, like Gamora's. They've spent the past 20 years recovering from the horror of Thanos, kids are finally going to bed with full bellies, and boom, half of them disintegrate.
Old 05-02-2018, 10:17 AM
Not a real doctor.
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alessan View Post
The subtitles here definitely said "head".

Also, it's a better line.

"Go for the head" is a thing.
"Go for the hand" isn't; if that was what he meant, he should have said "gone for my hand."

It make sense that Thor went for his chest, BTW. Thor is a soldier, and soldiers are trained to aim for center mass. An assassin would have aimed for the head.
If only Loki had gotten Stormbreaker.
Old 05-02-2018, 10:24 AM
Not a real doctor.
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maus Magill View Post
If only Loki had gotten Stormbreaker.
Stonebreaker. Stormbreaker is a different weapon altogether.
Old 05-02-2018, 10:32 AM
Corellian Nerfherder

Quote:
Stonebreaker. Stormbreaker is a different weapon altogether.
I'm reasonably certain (though I'm happy to be proven wrong) that the weapon in the film is called Stormbreaker (Hemsworth's faux-Shakespearan accent aside), as it's a canonical name in Marvel continuity, of a Mjolnir-like weapon that was forged by Eitri the Dwarf.

FWIW, the MCU Wikia site lists the weapon's name as Stormbreaker.
Old 05-02-2018, 11:03 AM

It would be amusing if it all gets wrapped up in a post credits scene.

Thanos is sitting on his porch, and a figure approaches.

Just as you make out who it is, Captain Marvel smacks Thanos, and rips off the glove. "You can't have this."

She then resets everything.

If they could work out the rights, they could put it at the end of Deadpool 2, have everything done in the next couple weeks. Then Avengers 4 can focus on something else, and the upcoming movies don't have to work around the universal cataclysm.

Though, more realistically, I think Gamora will play an important role. She's not necessarily dead, she was sacrificed to the soul stone, and is still in Thanos's head.
Old 05-02-2018, 11:12 AM

Saw it , loved it, not really phased by it being a clear "Part I" of a two-parter, which seems to have lots of panties in a bunch. All those Harry Potter/LoTR/SW movies have immunized me to needing immediate closure, it seems.

Quote:
But I do think there's something to be said for making Thanos a nihilist as opposed to a eugenicist.
Thanos isn't a eugenicist, that would imply he chose the fittest to live, where it's stated to be essentially random.
Old 05-02-2018, 11:40 AM
Not a real doctor.
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenobi 65 View Post
I'm reasonably certain (though I'm happy to be proven wrong) that the weapon in the film is called Stormbreaker (Hemsworth's faux-Shakespearan accent aside), as it's a canonical name in Marvel continuity, of a Mjolnir-like weapon that was forged by Eitri the Dwarf.

FWIW, the MCU Wikia site lists the weapon's name as Stormbreaker.
You're right. I was thinking of Stormbringer, Elric's sword.

Loki with Stormbringer would be... not good.
Old 05-02-2018, 11:51 AM

I guess what I'm interested is, will the next movie result in a "do-over", essentially erasing this whole film, or will it change one thing which resurrects all the people that died? I really hope it's the latter.
Old 05-02-2018, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashtura View Post
I guess what I'm interested is, will the next movie result in a "do-over", essentially erasing this whole film, or will it change one thing which resurrects all the people that died? I really hope it's the latter.
I think it will get erased except for one sacrifice (I think Captain America who will step in for Iron Man in the last moment), but all the characters present will remember the "ash-ing" timeline, but no one else will.
Old 05-02-2018, 02:49 PM

Part I hated most/couldn't suspend belief. Thor has the power of a neutron star go through him but all that happens is he gets a little singed.

Last edited by Saint Cad; 05-02-2018 at 02:50 PM.
Old 05-02-2018, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saint Cad View Post
Part I hated most/couldn't suspend belief. Thor has the power of a neutron star go through him but all that happens is he gets a little singed.
The didn't say so in the movie, but assuming that like that comics, with Odin (and Hela) dead, he basically has all of Odin's power.
Old 05-02-2018, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enalzi View Post
The didn't say so in the movie, but assuming that like that comics, with Odin (and Hela) dead, he basically has all of Odin's power.
Yes thats the whole deal with the eye patch as well, to make you know he is now Odin. Which leads to another plot hole. In Thor: Ragnarok, Thor discovers he can use his lightning powers without having Mjolnir. Then he seemingly forgets that completely in Infinity War and needs his new axe to use them again.
Old 05-02-2018, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enalzi View Post
Being that involved in the creation of it may even give him some special affinities for it.
Old 05-02-2018, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coremelt View Post
Yes thats the whole deal with the eye patch as well, to make you know he is now Odin. Which leads to another plot hole. In Thor: Ragnarok, Thor discovers he can use his lightning powers without having Mjolnir. Then he seemingly forgets that completely in Infinity War and needs his new axe to use them again.
Odin said that the hammer was to focus his power, not the source of it.

Just because you don't need the focus to call up the power doesn't mean that a focus doesn't help you to focus your power.
Old 05-02-2018, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9bfriender View Post
Odin said that the hammer was to focus his power, not the source of it.

Just because you don't need the focus to call up the power doesn't mean that a focus doesn't help you to focus your power.
From memory Thor didn't use his lightning powers at all when he is fighting Thanos at the very beginning of the movie? Considering the lives of the Asgardians in the refugee ship were in danger from Thanos it seems odd Thor didn't go all out and use lightning against Thanos. (eg plot hole)
As an aside, Loki doesn't use his illusion powers either when facing Thanos, also rather odd.

Last edited by coremelt; 05-02-2018 at 03:19 PM.
Old 05-02-2018, 03:30 PM
Corellian Nerfherder

Quote:
You're right. I was thinking of Stormbringer, Elric's sword.
If it makes you feel any better, I'm very familiar with Stormbreaker in the comics, and I *still* typoed the name as Stormbringer earlier in this thread.
Old 05-02-2018, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coremelt View Post
From memory Thor didn't use his lightning powers at all when he is fighting Thanos at the very beginning of the movie? Considering the lives of the Asgardians in the refugee ship were in danger from Thanos it seems odd Thor didn't go all out and use lightning against Thanos. (eg plot hole)
As an aside, Loki doesn't use his illusion powers either when facing Thanos, also rather odd.
By the time we get to that ship - the fight is largely over and Thor is unconscious on the floor - we have no idea what he did (or didn't do) when Thanos first arrived.
Old 05-02-2018, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDibble View Post
not really phased by it being a clear "Part I" of a two-parter
Damn it, I know the difference between phased and fazed. I blame Vision.
Old 05-02-2018, 11:56 PM

Quote:
It would be amusing if it all gets wrapped up in a post credits scene.

Thanos is sitting on his porch, and a figure approaches.

Just as you make out who it is, Captain Marvel smacks Thanos, and rips off the glove. "You can't have this."

She then resets everything.

Thanos is sitting on his porch, looking content.

CUT TO: Scarlet Witch, weaving one of those illusions she makes people live through. Thanos is still sitting in that same pose, and he’s got that same look on his face; but there’s no porch, and it eventually becomes clear that the last couple of hours of the movie we watched were just, like, the movie he’s been slackjawedly watching.

(“How long until Thor gets here? I have a specific idea about where to hit this guy.”)
Old 05-03-2018, 01:08 AM

Went back and watched it a second time tonight, watching for details instead of pure unadulterated joy (the best way to watch an MCU movie), and find some answers to things I thought of reading this discussion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poysyn View Post
Thanos is a very scary villain because he doesn't see himself as evil - he absolutely believes he is doing what is best (and so do his followers).
The "best" villains always are. They offer some measure of profit/pleasure/eternal happiness, if one can only ignore that missing thing - like empathy or genocidal tendencies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by muldoonthief View Post
Jesus Christ yes. That's the scene that I can't kick out of my brain. I think I'll be skipping that scene in any future watching of Infinity War, or I'll have to immediately watch the scene in Avengers 4 where he's resurrected and immediately kicks Thanos' wrinkled mauve ass (I presume).
The ending "deaths" didn't bother me much the first time, but they clobbered me this time around, especially Scarlet Witch, Peter Parker, and Groot. Peter's and Groot's deaths were hard both for the aforementioned "scared kid" voice and their innocence. Remember in GotG2, Groot spent the entire movie playing and dancing (except for the whole big button deal). Stark has obviously taken on a father role for Parker, even if he refuses to admit it, and to have him wisp in Tony's arms has to have a profound emotional impact going forward.

Quote:
One last thing. Probably the most eyerolley part for me is when they have these human or mostly human characters going toe to toe with Gods or bring basically indestructible.

As far as I know Scarlett Witch is just a human with magic powers. How can she fall 20 stories though a glass roof and be unscathed? At least show her creating a force field or something.

Black Widow is a good character, but she's a human spy. She can fight Cap or Bucky and survive but not a being like Proxima. For that matter Cap is a roided up dude. He can't stand up to Thanos who made light work of Hulk. Did they even give Cap some sweet Wakanda nano armor or is he just wearing black leather? If not that last fight scene is even sillier.

And Starlord's silly little blasters against Thanos? Come on. At least the way he fought against Iron Man made some sense.

I know this is not a new problem, but you'd think they'd be able to match up their opponents by weight class a bit better.
It's been consistently outrageous for awhile now. Steve Rogers pulled a freaking helicopter out of the sky in Civil War. I just go into every scene assuming every character is as powerful as the others, unless the other is a Bad Guy. They're invincible without the combined strength of several Supers.

Also, it's pretty strongly implied that Rogers got some vibranium tech before the big battle, as T'Challa tells someone off-screen to "get this man a shield".

Quote:
While Thanos seems like the sort of guy who enjoys a good game of "Do what I want or I'll pop this guy's head", is there any reason to believe that he couldn't have just beat the shit out of Loki and taken the stone anyway? Loki had it hidden but Thanos knew that he had it.
But Thanos isn't omniscient, and wasn't omnipotent until acquiring all the stones. It seemed like the Tesseract and the Time Stone were both located on alternate dimensions until recalled by Loki and Strange, respectively. The Supers greatest strengths (loyalty and love) are also their biggest DUUUUURP weaknesses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypno-Toad View Post
This movie makes me wish I had seen Civil War, Ragnarok, and Black Panther. That's simultaneously annoying and very cool.
I had the same conversation with a few other people - there's something like 14 movies just to INTRODUCE the characters in Infinity War, even more for backstory (I think the only one you don't need is Ant-Man, if you just accept him as a character in Civil War and promptly shunt him aside, as he doesn't reappear).

Quote:
When Maw and then Stark/Strange/Peter were flying back to Titan, they clearly were at it for quite a while. Ships I'm sure are fast, but not Bifrost fast, which is pretty much what that scene implied.
The Bifrost sent Hulk back. Then there's obviously the explanation of Thanos returning - neither Banner nor Strange actually know WHO Thanos is, so I'd wager there is some time passing there, and then the search for Stark. It might not be days, but several hours could have easily passed. If Asgard is close to Earth and the refugees are already halfway there, it's not so far (on a galactic scale) as it might be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by simster View Post
By the time we get to that ship - the fight is largely over and Thor is unconscious on the floor - we have no idea what he did (or didn't do) when Thanos first arrived.
Thor got his ass kicked the first time around - Rocket touches on this during their conversation.

T - "No one has ever defeated me."

R - "Thanos did."

T - "No one has ever defeated me twice."

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Other Waldo Pepper View Post
Thanos is sitting on his porch, looking content.

CUT TO: Scarlet Witch, weaving one of those illusions she makes people live through. Thanos is still sitting in that same pose, and he’s got that same look on his face; but there’s no porch, and it eventually becomes clear that the last couple of hours of the movie we watched were just, like, the movie he’s been slackjawedly watching.

(“How long until Thor gets here? I have a specific idea about where to hit this guy.”)
Oh, there's so many interesting ways they could have ended the movie if they wanted a "WTF" audience. The Captain Marvel one was pretty great too, if IW2 wasn't already filmed.

My thoughts:

Tony Stark is alone on Titan with Nebula, and she's not exactly the comforting type. He's spent his entire time knowing Peter Parker keeping him as far from true danger as he could, and had to watch the kid wisp in front of him anyway. That's gonna mess him up, especially after his whole conversation about kids with Pepper at the start of the movie.

Elizabeth Olsen and Josh Brolin need some awards. They'll never get them because superhero movie, but they were masterful. Olsen's lip quiver when Vision finally says "It's time" is like a gut punch from Thanos. Even with the CGI, Brolin's portrayal of loss was fantastic. Remember, he lost all of his children in a very short period. Even as a genocidal maniac willing to murder one child and torture another in order to continue his murder spree, you got the feeling he felt grief over them.

A point of weakness even for Super Saiyan Thanos - he's not omniscient and his power is generally localized. Throughout the movie, the things he's done wear off after he leaves - Drax and Mantis regain their forms on Knowhere, Banner pulls the Hulkbuster out of the cliff.

Also, the Dark Order was never defeated in a straight up fight - every single death was the result of being surprised. Nothing more to it, just something I noticed - sucked out into space, rocketed into the force field, tossed into a wrecking ball by someone believed out of the fight, and stabbed in the back. Their weapons all had some pretty impressive abilities - Cull Obsidian's transforming hammer, Proxima Midnight's staff returning to her a la Mjollnir, and Corvus Glaive's well...glaive, going through vibranium like butter and redirect Mind Stone blasts.

I'll say the humor in this one was MUCH better than Ragnarok or even GotG2. Banner's issues with Hulking out added to the tension while still raising a smirk, and the interplay between the various groups (Quill and Thor, Stark and Strange, Rocket and Bucky) really added to the movie. None of it felt forced. Drax's "I've mastered the ability to stand so still as to be invisible to the eye" bit was fantastic, as well as Stark's "Did you really just say hitherto undreamt of?"

Last point: let's take as accepted that Stark and Banner are quite possibly THE eminent geniuses in the world. It took Shuri about 5 seconds to obliterate their approach on Vision. It was definitely a "DAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYUUUUUM!" moment.

Last edited by Chisquirrel; 05-03-2018 at 01:11 AM. Reason: Missed a nut
Old 05-03-2018, 02:55 AM

Loved it, best MCU since A1, imho.

My theory is that Heindall saw a path to victory involving the Hulk and that's why he beamed him off the ship instead of Thor or himself (not that he's a coward, but that battle was clearly lost), Hulk knows this and that's why he refused to come out, he's waiting for the opportune moment. We never see the Hulk and Strange on the same battlefield, do we? I think these two paths will converge.

Last edited by outlierrn; 05-03-2018 at 02:56 AM.
Old 05-03-2018, 04:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chisquirrel View Post

A point of weakness even for Super Saiyan Thanos - he's not omniscient and his power is generally localized. Throughout the movie, the things he's done wear off after he leaves - Drax and Mantis regain their forms on Knowhere, Banner pulls the Hulkbuster out of the cliff.

I got the feeling he was pulling his punches at a few points - like at the end, when he used his power to just knock the Avengers aside instead of atomizing them. With Drax and Mantis, I think he was purposely avoiding killing his daughter's friends.
Old 05-03-2018, 07:14 AM

I love/hate this movie like none I can think of before.

The notes I jotted while my reactions were fresh:

Incredibly thrilling, with the flat-out best action I've seen in any superhero movie ever. I have increasingly gotten fatigued with the big fights in these movies, but here I found that to be the best part. Amazing. As long as I turned off my brain so as not to nitpick. SO many logic holes.

So they already had to evacuate a reduced Asgardian population, and then now they are all dead? Harsh. Reminds me of "Last Jedi".

Seriously, Cap almost overpowers Thanos? Pfffft.

Why didn't Strange just use the same tactic as in the end of his own movie? And how does Thanos get to rewind time but then his actions in time are not rewound?

Hate when people give up stuff that will kill trillions to save one person. That's how Thanos got the Time Stone, and the location of the Soul Stone. (Strange better have sabotaged his somehow.)

Bucky: I have the same issue with him as I always did with the Six Million Dollar Man. A super-powered arm attached to a normal-strength body is just begging for massive, bloody tissue damage right at the attachment point (the shoulder or wherever).

The Guardians almost checkmated Thanos (that might have been the best action sequence in the movie), but then Starlord fucked it up. Oh well, at least he was one of only two good guys (along with Scarlet Witch) willing to sacrifice a loved one (before his gun ended up shooting bubbles).

Speaking of SW, critics have noted in previous movies that her powers are ill-defined. Now she's just way overpowered.

Why on earth did Thanos keep punching when he could just bend reality and end people? And he's willing to kill half the universe, but as he's on his quest, he doesn't bother to kill heroes who oppose him? Even heroes he turned into weird Cubist pieces reassemble after he leaves--huh? His reality-bending powers were cool to see on the screen, but they blow a massive hole in the plot.

It's exhausting to have all these "entire universe" stakes all the time, and it gives you nowhere to go from there. I suppose that's why two of my favorite superhero movies in recent years have been Spidey flicks.

What percentage of the audience makes the connection between the ending and "The Leftovers"? .001%?
Old 05-03-2018, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlackerInc View Post
Hate when people give up stuff that will kill trillions to save one person. That's how Thanos got the Time Stone, and the location of the Soul Stone. (Strange better have sabotaged his somehow.)
I think there's an element of superhero-y hubris in there: I can give up this deadly weapon to save one person because I'll stop you in Round Two. Strange says as much after he gives up the Time stone, now we're in the end game.
Old 05-03-2018, 09:25 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I think there's an element of superhero-y hubris in there: I can give up this deadly weapon to save one person because I'll stop you in Round Two. Strange says as much after he gives up the Time stone, now we're in the end game.
I have read online that the leading candidate for the name of the sequel is Avengers: Endgame.

Works for me.
Old 05-03-2018, 09:38 AM

Quote:
I think it's more likely that Strange knew that the only way to win, the one out of the 14 million scenarios he saw, had to involve Thanos getting all the stones and snapping his fingers.
Old 05-03-2018, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RikWriter View Post
I think it's more likely that Strange knew that the only way to win, the one out of the 14 million scenarios he saw, had to involve Thanos getting all the stones and snapping his fingers.
And we're back to the "Strange knows stuff so we can't argue with it." argument.

I mean, it's true, but it's kind of a cop out. And I think they wrote the movie to lead us to that cop out. It's not necessarily a fault of the fans to say this; I think it's a fault of the movie.
Old 05-03-2018, 10:06 AM

I think it's more a case of "we've only seen the first half of the story so we can't argue about it."
Old 05-03-2018, 10:11 AM

Quote:
I think that was almost just humoring him. Maybe he was a bit stronger than Thanos expected. He tried to slap him away like he was a normal person, and had to exert just a bit more strength. He ended up tossing him like a rag doll once he used a more appropriate amount of power.
Quote:
Why didn't Strange just use the same tactic as in the end of his own movie?
It was probably one of the 14 million strategies that Strange looked at that didn't work. Why, we could speculate, but the fact that Thanos has 4 gems may prevent it from being as effective.
Quote:
And how does Thanos get to rewind time but then his actions in time are not rewound?
Same as when Strange reversed the bite in the apple in his own movie when he was first experimenting with it. That's why the time stone is not to be played with, it could create unhealthy paradoxes.
Quote:
That's one theory, that since Strange had possession of the time stone, that he may have done something to it. But it may be just that giving him the stone was part of the 1 in 14 million plan that works out.
Quote:
Bucky: I have the same issue with him as I always did with the Six Million Dollar Man. A super-powered arm attached to a normal-strength body is just begging for massive, bloody tissue damage right at the attachment point (the shoulder or wherever).
I was under the impression that he was augmented otherwise as well.
Quote:
The Guardians almost checkmated Thanos (that might have been the best action sequence in the movie), but then Starlord fucked it up. Oh well, at least he was one of only two good guys (along with Scarlet Witch) willing to sacrifice a loved one (before his gun ended up shooting bubbles).
In both those cases, Thanos took his time, and allowed the heroes to perform the painful sacrifice, before snatching it away and making their choice meaningless. Kinda a dick move, really.
Quote:
Speaking of SW, critics have noted in previous movies that her powers are ill-defined. Now she's just way overpowered.

Why on earth did Thanos keep punching when he could just bend reality and end people? And he's willing to kill half the universe, but as he's on his quest, he doesn't bother to kill heroes who oppose him? Even heroes he turned into weird Cubist pieces reassemble after he leaves--huh? His reality-bending powers were cool to see on the screen, but they blow a massive hole in the plot.
The important thing is to remember that this was Thano's story. He was the protagonist on a quest to save the universe. He was doing this out of the goodness of his heart. As the good guy of the story, he wanted to avoid too much collateral damage.

Note that his henchmen didn't have the same philosophy. They seemed to get a great deal of enjoyment out of death and destruction.
Quote:
It's exhausting to have all these "entire universe" stakes all the time, and it gives you nowhere to go from there. I suppose that's why two of my favorite superhero movies in recent years have been Spidey flicks.
Well, not "entire universe", more like half.

Though I agree, the cataclysmic events always happening tend to dull the suspense. We know that the REALLY BAD thing isn't actually going to happen. One of the reasons I liked Firefly and Serenity. That was really high stakes for the characters, but not really that high a stake for the rest of the 'verse.
Old 05-03-2018, 10:20 AM

Quote:
In both those cases, Thanos took his time, and allowed the heroes to perform the painful sacrifice, before snatching it away and making their choice meaningless. Kinda a dick move, really.
If anyone is 100% a dick, it's Thanos. I bet even Rhomann Dey would agree.
Quote:
The important thing is to remember that this was Thano's story. He was the protagonist on a quest to save the universe. He was doing this out of the goodness of his heart. As the good guy of the story, he wanted to avoid too much collateral damage.
Well, he claims he's doing it out of the goodness of his heart. The truth is that his own people died out completely due to overpopulation, and he wants to prove to himself that they could have been saved if they had only listened to him.
Old 05-03-2018, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RikWriter View Post
Well, it's not just Strange. Loki hands over the stone to save Thor and then expects to be able to stab Thanos in the throat. Gamora gives the location of the Soul stone to save her sister but she also knows that others are working to stop Thanos. Point being, none of them really approached it from "Well, they're all going to die but I saved you" and more like "Unfortunate, but it saved you and bought us some time for Plan B"
Old 05-03-2018, 11:42 AM

Quote:
So they already had to evacuate a reduced Asgardian population, and then now they are all dead? Harsh. Reminds me of "Last Jedi".
Thor said specifically that Thanos killed half the asgardians.

Quote:
I know its impossible to expect anyone to keep track of this but you can tell every time Thanos is using the stones or not because they start glowing. Hulk beat the crap out of him until he started using the power stone. Cap barely held off completely unpowered Thanos. Still a significantly powerful being, but nothing compared to what he can do with the stones. Thanos thinks he is a hero, he tries to act like it. Comforting SW after she killed Vision was not taunting, it was genuine.

Quote:
Why didn't Strange just use the same tactic as in the end of his own movie?
Because he saw the future and he knows what will work and what won't.
Old 05-03-2018, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Same as when Strange reversed the bite in the apple in his own movie when he was first experimenting with it. That's why the time stone is not to be played with, it could create unhealthy paradoxes.
If you keep eating the same apple, wouldn't that actually be a rather healthy paradox?
Old 05-03-2018, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalC View Post
Thor said specifically that Thanos killed half the asgardians.
Yeah, he said that. I just wonder what happened to the other half. The ship they were on was blown up.

Also, seems as though the asgardians were recently through a fairly steep culling of their population from Ragnarok. They didn't really need to have their numbers reduced again.
Old 05-03-2018, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chisquirrel View Post
Elizabeth Olsen and Josh Brolin need some awards.
It wasn't until you put their names in the same sentence in this post that I realized that this movie is a reunion movie for them from Spike Lee's 2013 remake of Old Boy. This time around they didn't get much screen time together, although their little bit of interaction was significant. Hopefully they get more scenes together next time.

Oh, and I forget who it was but there was a poster upthread, on a previous page at this point, who expressed discomfort at the romance between Olsen and Bettany, given the age difference. Well, if that makes you feel uncomfortable you definitely do not want to watch Olsen and Brolin together in Old Boy!
Old 05-03-2018, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Yeah, he said that. I just wonder what happened to the other half. The ship they were on was blown up.
I assume a different ship, we didn't see most of the secondary cast from Ragnarok either.
Old 05-03-2018, 01:11 PM

Quote:
The Russos mentioned an escape pod or ship I think.
Old 05-03-2018, 01:49 PM

Did you survive Thanos's Reckoning?

I did it on my phone and it says yes, on my computer it said no.

So I'm going with yes.
Old 05-03-2018, 02:05 PM

I got dusted. On the plus side, this means I don't have to live through the aftermath and can sit pretty while the rest of y'all rescue me.