View Poll Results: What show should I binge next, and why?
Parks and Recreation 22 25.00%
Stranger Things 35 39.77%
Mad Men 19 21.59%
Ozark 12 13.64%
Voters: 88. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-23-2018, 09:12 PM
Charter Member

My next TV Series - You decide!

Cut the cord, binge watching TV shows. This list has been given to me by my kid/looks interesting. What would be your pick, and why, for the next binge?

Public poll, as always.

Last edited by JohnT; 09-23-2018 at 09:13 PM.
Old 09-23-2018, 09:37 PM
Shouting Grasshopper

Parks And Rec--it starts off slow and fizzles out at the end, but overall a great show.
Old 09-23-2018, 09:42 PM

I'd do Stranger Things, then Ozark. I never really got into their other two.
Old 09-23-2018, 09:58 PM
Charter Member

Stranger Things.

Take every 80s horror movie trope, drop it into a blender, and use it to paint a nostalgic, respectful pastiche of John Carpenter and Stephen King and Tobe Hooper. Add in some wonderful performances in a great ensemble cast, some fantastic 70s/80s retro-vibe set decorating, wardrobe, and makeup...

...yup! What's not to like?
Old 09-24-2018, 12:37 AM

Mad Men. First off, it's a complete series, so you don't have to wait to watch the next season. Second, it doesn't suffer from the first-season slop P&R put out. It was great from beginning to end. Finally, for me series like Mad Men are more bingeable than traditional network sitcoms, simply because there are less episodes per season. In the past, when we've picked a 23-episode-per-season show as our main "binge," we've hit a point where we were just ready to move on to something else.

To me, a show like P&R (which is pretty great, especially in later seasons) is great to have as a back-up for when it's too early to go to bed, but you don't want to stay up for another hour-long episode; or there's only so much American Horror Story or Iron Fist you can watch in a night; or you just need something lighthearted. We've gone through The Office, Friends, Cheers, 3rd Rock from the Sun this way; we work our way through all the seasons, but it's never our "main show."

Last edited by Happy Lendervedder; 09-24-2018 at 12:39 AM.
Old 09-24-2018, 01:51 AM

Ozark would be dead last for me.

I would probably watch Stranger Things.

Last edited by Alpha Twit; 09-24-2018 at 01:52 AM.
Old 09-24-2018, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Lendervedder View Post
Mad Men. First off, it's a complete series, so you don't have to wait to watch the next season. Second, it doesn't suffer from the first-season slop P&R put out. It was great from beginning to end. Finally, for me series like Mad Men are more bingeable than traditional network sitcoms, simply because there are less episodes per season. In the past, when we've picked a 23-episode-per-season show as our main "binge," we've hit a point where we were just ready to move on to something else.

To me, a show like P&R (which is pretty great, especially in later seasons) is great to have as a back-up for when it's too early to go to bed, but you don't want to stay up for another hour-long episode; or there's only so much American Horror Story or Iron Fist you can watch in a night; or you just need something lighthearted. We've gone through The Office, Friends, Cheers, 3rd Rock from the Sun this way; we work our way through all the seasons, but it's never our "main show."
I agree completely. Mad Men is solid, solid television that occasionally rises to sublime. Parks and Rec is a great sitcom with some fantastic moments that serves really well as a palate cleanser when you're binge watching something heavy.

I'll add this: I'm in the minority, and didn't care for Stranger Things. And Ozarks is trying too hard to be a Breaking Bad and doesn't come close to the mark.
Old 09-24-2018, 08:53 AM
Charter Member

I voted for Stranger Things, because it's the only on the list I've seen. And also I loved it.
Old 09-24-2018, 09:11 AM
Charter Member

Write in vote: Community.
Old 09-24-2018, 09:13 AM
Charter Member

I've already done Community.
Old 09-24-2018, 03:54 PM

Park and Rec. You may want to just watch the Pilot and Finale of Season one to learn the characters and go into season 2. Season one as a whole isn't terrible but the show took a while to find its voice.
Old 09-24-2018, 03:58 PM

Man Men by 13.8 billion lightyears.

It's also a completed series. So you can watch the whole thing.

P&R is also done but any series that is recommended in terms of "Sure, the first season (or two) sucked but then it got better." should be moved well down the list.
Old 09-24-2018, 04:33 PM

Ozark is one of two still in production and high quality throughout. Mad Men and P&R can wait.
Old 09-24-2018, 05:45 PM

I haven't seen Parks & Rec, or Ozark, and found Mad Men bored me to tears, so Stranger Things is the only one I can recommend.
Old 09-24-2018, 06:17 PM

Write-in vote for _The Good Place_. Also made by Mike Schur (of _Parks and Rec_), but the network gave him free reign to make whatever he want, and he has made the greatest comedy of all time.

_Ozark_ is good... but as someone else said, it's trying to be _Breaking Bad_, but not quite getting there.

_Stranger Things_ is very good... IF the genre is one that you will enjoy.

_Mad Men_ I've heard good things about but haven't actually watched it.

_Parks and Rec_ I love, but just skip the first season and dive right on in with season 2 episode 1. That's what my wife and I did and we never felt like we'd missed out on much.
Old 09-24-2018, 06:21 PM
Charter Member

I like all of them, and never heard of Ozark. (ETA: I just realized that sentence doesn't make sense. I like all of the ones other than Ozark, which I never heard of until this thread). I somewhat feel I should rectify this as it's in a poll with three other shows I like. Of the other three, gosh, they're all so different that I honestly cannot pick one over another. They all satisfy different cravings. So just toss a die, I guess.

Last edited by pulykamell; 09-24-2018 at 06:23 PM.
Old 09-24-2018, 06:38 PM

I voted Mad Men, for many of the reasons already stated. We bailed on Stranger Things several episodes in.

If you are allowing write-ins, I'd mention The Wire (but you've probably already seen it).

We just finished The Crown - which was outstanding - but perhaps not to your taste.

Finally, for something we found incredibly entertaining, seek out Somebody Feed Phil.

mmm
Old 09-24-2018, 07:03 PM
Charter Member

Stranger Things is a lot of fun and really enjoyable. Season 1 was superior than 2, but 2 was not bad at all.

I hope you pick it and have fun.
Old 09-24-2018, 07:17 PM

I voted Ozark. I have a feeling that Mad Men might be a love it or hate it type show. It's been a while since I watched Mad Men but I'm thinking Ozark may appeal to a broader audience. I'm old enough to remember the early 60s and that may be why Mad Men appealed to me. Parks and Rec was fun. I watched S1 of Stranger things, may watch S2 eventually.
Old 09-24-2018, 07:29 PM
Charter Member

I'd say Parks and Rec. I haven't seen Mad Men or Stranger Things and I'm just finishing the first season of Ozark and it's not really holding me.
Old 09-24-2018, 08:09 PM

This is an odd collection of choices not just tonally, but in terms of number of hours:

Hours: Show
92: Mad Men (92 1-hour episodes with commercials)
62: Parks & Rec (125 30-minute episodes with commercials)
20: Ozark (20 1-hour episodes. No commercials, episodes typically 60 minutes each)
17: Stranger Things (17 1-hour episodes. No commercials, episodes typically 45-50 minutes each)

The difference in commitment is staggering. Mad Men all by itself is roughly equivalent to the other three combined.
Old 09-24-2018, 08:22 PM

I voted Ozark. Stranger Things is worth watching but I thought a bit overrated. I would wait and watch it closer to Halloween. I was lukewarm on what I saw of Mad Men. Never watched Parks and Recreation.

I was skeptical about Ozark for the reason some mentioned, I thought it would be a pale imitation of Breaking Bad. I doubt Ozark would exist if it weren't for Breaking Bad and it is not as brilliant but if you take it for its own thing it's a good show and they do a good job taking it into some different territory than Breaking Bad.
Old 09-24-2018, 09:45 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis Dee View Post
This is an odd collection of choices not just tonally, but in terms of number of hours:

Hours: Show
92: Mad Men (92 1-hour episodes with commercials)
62: Parks & Rec (125 30-minute episodes with commercials)
20: Ozark (20 1-hour episodes. No commercials, episodes typically 60 minutes each)
17: Stranger Things (17 1-hour episodes. No commercials, episodes typically 45-50 minutes each)

The difference in commitment is staggering. Mad Men all by itself is roughly equivalent to the other three combined.
Eh, I'm not that committed to the idea of watching TV, but if I'm going to watch it, might as well be something I plan on watching.
Old 09-24-2018, 11:56 PM

I gave Stranger Things about a 7. I'd have given it an 8 if 50% of the show hadn't involved everyone yelling all the time. And I mean all. the. time. They yell at each other, they yell at nothing, they yell when they're supposed to be quiet, they yell when other people are yelling... it was really a PITA to listen to.

Also, someone feed whats-her-name, the older sister. Her shoulders are barely wider than her neck ffs.

Last edited by Snowboarder Bo; 09-24-2018 at 11:56 PM.
Old 09-25-2018, 04:11 PM

Stranger Thins Season One (I didn't see Season 2 yet) had good performances and a neat story but I don't get all the love and hype. It was good but not great IMO.
Old 09-25-2018, 04:34 PM

These are all really different shows.

I tried watching Mad Men but gave up after a few episodes. It just never clicked for me.
I'm six episodes into season 1 of Ozark and I love it. But I can't vote for it here, not having seen all of it yet.
Stranger Things Season 1 was great, but season 2 really dragged in the middle, and suffered from trying to outdo itself.
So Parks & Rec gets my vote. Not that you shouldn't watch the others, but P&R is a fun comedy, with a uniquely positive point of view. I enjoyed the entire run, even the first and last seasons.
Old 09-27-2018, 10:15 AM
Voodoo Adult (Slight Return)
Charter Member

Parks and Rec is my vote for next.

The others are my votes for after that, after that, and after that, in that order. I'm currently working my way through Ozark, FWIW.
Old 09-27-2018, 10:48 AM

I've watched Ozark and Stranger Things.

I enjoyed both, but I liked Ozark just a bit more.
Old 09-27-2018, 10:57 AM

I like Stranger Things and Ozark, have not watched the other two. I did vote for ST, but I'd note that the first season is much better than the second. Both seasons of Ozark are good, S1 maybe slightly better.
Old 09-27-2018, 11:14 AM
Charter Member

I started ST a few nights ago, am enjoying it for its familiar feel and, tbh, predictability... "this is where too-cute rich guy and broody & handsome have a fight over anorexia girl"... "OK, 11 is about to shut that door... yup!". In time, I fully expect either (a) B&H and 2CRG teaming up to save AG or (b) 2CRG to enact some sort of revenge against B&H which will eventually result in his being monstered.

Will tackle MM next with some P&R thrown in.

Ozark can wait, imho... after all, it'll always be there, on Netflix.

Last edited by JohnT; 09-27-2018 at 11:17 AM.
Old 09-27-2018, 10:24 PM
Charter Member

I just want to say that Winona Ryder is just awful, a one-note performance, that note being in the key of shrill-major.
Old 09-28-2018, 12:15 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnT View Post
I just want to say that Winona Ryder is just awful, a one-note performance, that note being in the key of shrill-major.
This was a common complaint at the time it came out, but she is a grieving mother who has seen monster activity in her own house but is not being believed. Realistically nobody would be anything but nervous, shrill, and frightened.
Old 10-01-2018, 03:01 PM

Stranger Things has one good season and one ok season. Parks and Rec has at least 4 - 5 really, really good seasons of generally feel-good comedy. I'd say the first season and the last 2 seasons weren't great but everything else was solid gold.
Old 10-01-2018, 03:19 PM
Charter Member

Finished S1 of ST, liked it, but for now I'm just going to treat S1 as a standalone story. When another season or two roll down the pipe, I may pick it up again, but if I don't, shit's enough resolved.

Starting Mad Men. 2 episodes in and I know I'm going to like this one.
Old 10-01-2018, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snfaulkner View Post
I'd do Stranger Things, then Ozark. I never really got into their other two.
Bingo!
Old 10-01-2018, 08:25 PM
Charter Member

Given that you've already seen Stranger Things and are seeing Mad Men, perhaps I'm too late, but I really like Parks and Recreation. Yes, it's just a sitcom but it's a fun one that respects its characters. If you like The Good Place or the US remake of The Office, you may like it, because Michael Schur is the showrunner behind all three. Do you like Chris Pratt, Rashida Jones, Rob Lowe, Adam Scott or Nick Offerman? All of them and a bunch of others are in this show.
Old 10-02-2018, 06:33 AM
Charter Member

Ozark is somewhat watchable even though the plot is completely preposterous. If the OP finds it hard to suspend common sense and overlook the utterly absurd and ridiculous, then I wouldn't recommend it.
Old 10-02-2018, 10:00 AM
Charter Member

I voted Parks & Rec, but mostly because I just finished watching it myself this past weekend. To borrow a phrase from Snowboarder Bo, Ron Swanson totally fucking rocks!

And for those who say skip the first season, wasn't the first "Tammy" episode during season 1? You can't miss that. Yeah, first season they were going more for the "Office" vibe and kind of missed the mark. But if you're going to binge, just power through it. It's like getting through the first season of Babylon 5 so you can settle in and enjoy the awesomeness of the rest of the series.
Old 10-02-2018, 10:13 AM
Charter Member

I think the first season was only six episodes, so it wouldn't take long to get through. And it's not terrible. It's just not as good as later seasons.
Old 10-15-2018, 01:05 PM
Charter Member

So, 4 seasons (almost) completed in Mad Men and it has been spectacular, a show which has resonated with me quite a bit. Not a big fan of the Dick Whitman storyline, finding it a bit forced, but the rest of the show is fantastic. I'm a big "industrial history" kind of nerd and the glimpses into the advertising industry of 50 years ago are right up my alley.

Last edited by JohnT; 10-15-2018 at 01:06 PM.
Old 10-15-2018, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnT View Post
So, 4 seasons (almost) completed in Mad Men and it has been spectacular, a show which has resonated with me quite a bit. Not a big fan of the Dick Whitman storyline, finding it a bit forced, but the rest of the show is fantastic. I'm a big "industrial history" kind of nerd and the glimpses into the advertising industry of 50 years ago are right up my alley.
4 seasons in 2 weeks? You really did like it! The difference in quality between Mad Men and Ozark or ST is night and day, IMO. It's up there with The Leftovers and Better Call Saul as one of my favorite shows of all time.
Old 10-15-2018, 03:02 PM
Charter Member

I think I watched 4 seasons of Mad Men. I enjoyed it a lot, but had had enough by then.

Parks and Rec was terrible the first season; I'm not sure I finished even a single episode, it was so bad. But someone told me to give it another chance later on, and I'm glad I did; it became pretty fun. Nothing mindblowing, but fun.

Stranger Things worked just right for me, though: it wasn't trailblazing, it was shamelessly nostalgic and pastiche, but it was very well-crafted and did exactly what I want a creepy show to do.
Old 10-17-2018, 12:37 AM

I also thought the "Don Draper is an impostor" storyline was the least interesting part of Mad Men.

I also really liked The Leftovers.
Old 01-01-2019, 07:57 PM
Charter Member

Done!

My rankings:

1. Mad Men (by far)
2. Parks & Rec
3. Ozark
4. Stranger Things

I loved Mad Men, loved almost everything about it. Holy hell, do I understand the Drapers and their family, so much of it is recognizable to my life and childhood. I also appreciate business histories and, for television, MM kept the business aspects of Sterling, Cooper, et al, relatively believable, even to the point of people's not understanding the rules by which they agreed upon (Don gives someone his proxy, Roger asks "Can we do that?" Loved that moment.) To me the big revelation about MM was Sally Draper - possibly my favorite character in the series and central to my favorite scene in the whole series, the ending of season 6. I will buy this one someday.

Parks & Rec was perhaps the nicest TV series I've ever seen - a genuinely sweet show about nice people who try to do well, - succeed. I think it lost something when Ann and Chris left in season 6, and the season 7 "fight" between Leslie and Ron was painful to experience and out of character for the series - it's probably best it ended when it did, to be honest. The one thing that did ring flat the entire run was the Garry/Jerry/Larry/Terry abuse - too many times it detracted from the story and the characters. My favorite moment was when Andy casually explained how he went from overweight schlub to Captain Beefhunk between seasons - "Oh, I just decided to not eat as much, you know?" - and that was it.

Just finished season 2 of Ozark today. I'm enjoying this one most for the acting - the plot and some of the situations seemed contrived as all hell, but c'est la vie. We can't all be Breaking Bad, can we? Laura Linney is a wonder, and the young woman who plays Ruth deserves all the Emmy's. There has been a deepening sense of doom and dread as this one has been going along, and if you are the sort of person who needs lighthearted scenes and other emotional leveners in your crime dramas, give Ozark a pass - this one is unrelenting. Looking forward to Season 3.

I liked Stranger Things a bit more when it was called Super-8. I mean, it was fine and worth the time viewing, but I'm still not planning on watching season 2 of it.
Old 01-01-2019, 08:01 PM
Charter Member

Nest on my list: The Good Place.
Old 01-01-2019, 09:38 PM

Oh, you are in for a treat with that one! And if the relatively short binge merely whets your appetite, go for "Brooklyn Nine-Nine," also by Mike Schur and also absolutely hilarious, sweet and all around excellent.
Old 01-06-2019, 07:09 AM

My vote was for Ozark.

But only the first season.

The Good Place's first season is also excellent.
Old 01-07-2019, 01:10 AM

Voted on Stranger Things just because it hits all the right notes for me. Makes me feel like a kid again without being too juvenile.

I watched all of Mad Men, it's a well produced, well acted show, but I mainly enjoyed its less idealized period aspect,. It can get a little too real, and too real can sometimes get boring. I was relieved when I found out it was ending because I was too invested to just drop it, but was also tiring of it.

I knew after the first episode Ozark wasn't for me, even though I like Jason Bateman a lot.

I've caught several episodes of Parks, butI can't binge watch Network comedies. Those are filler for me, or a cleanser to watch before bed if what I watched before was particularly dark.
Old 01-07-2019, 02:20 AM

I voted for Mad Men, for all the reasons listed above.

If I may submit a write-in, try Boss if you can find it. Kelsey Grammar is a profane big-city mayor who's suffering from the early stages of dementia. A good political drama that was cancelled way too soon.