Old 10-04-2018, 10:48 AM

I thought we weren't supposed to comment on the looks of a woman if it's not germane to the topic?
Old 10-04-2018, 11:03 AM

I don't remember seeing/hearing about such a rule (and I would remember, because I'd never agree to it)...
Old 10-04-2018, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misnomer View Post
For me, it's definitely the actress. I actually don't find the character annoying: she's responding very human-ly (i.e., she isn't perfect), and also we know she went through some kind of trauma shortly before the flight (someone died? maybe in a car accident?). The actress, though, bugs me.
Her job was in jeopardy because she was picked up for a DUI shortly before the incident, and the issue hadn't been resolved at the time.
Old 10-04-2018, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nearwildheaven View Post
Her job was in jeopardy because she was picked up for a DUI shortly before the incident, and the issue hadn't been resolved at the time.
That's not what happened:
Quote:
I've been through your file. Seems like your world turned upside down five months before you got on that plane.

My friend died. We had a car accident.

You were the driver and you'd been drinking? That would weigh heavily on anyone.

Well, there was an investigation, and I was exonerated.

But still put on desk duty.

Yeah, I couldn't drive. I wasn't ready. I didn't want to.
So it was resolved, and she was officially exonerated, but still feels guilty. Her job is no longer in jeopardy since she was cleared for active detective work and resumed her duties.

Last edited by DPRK; 10-04-2018 at 02:07 PM.
Old 10-04-2018, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manson1972 View Post
I thought we weren't supposed to comment on the looks of a woman if it's not germane to the topic?
I'm not sure it can be successfully argued that a lead character's appearance isn't germane to a discussion of a tv show.
Old 10-04-2018, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis Dee View Post
I'm not sure it can be successfully argued that a lead character's appearance isn't germane to a discussion of a tv show.
The merits of the show depend on the lead character's eyebrow appearance? Ok, sure.
Old 10-04-2018, 04:49 PM

Quote:
The merits of the show depend on the lead character's eyebrow appearance? Ok, sure.
Who said depended on? Did they change the definition of "germane" while I wasn't looking?

I'm saying character appearance is relevant in a discussion of a tv show. Full stop.

Last edited by Ellis Dee; 10-04-2018 at 04:50 PM.
Old 10-05-2018, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPRK View Post

So it was resolved, and she was officially exonerated, but still feels guilty. Her job is no longer in jeopardy since she was cleared for active detective work and resumed her duties.
Did I hear in the episode she got posthumously promoted to detective? How would that work? I assume she had already taken the exam/whatever before the flight, but still...
Old 10-05-2018, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Who said depended on? Did they change the definition of "germane" while I wasn't looking?

I'm saying character appearance is relevant in a discussion of a tv show. Full stop.
Ok, sure.

I sure hope they show more of that hot woman doctor! She's fantastically hot! I hope she is in different stages of undress in the next few episodes. It will make the show so much better! She should really try to emphasize her breasts more, to really draw in the male viewers.

Old 10-05-2018, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarvingButStrong View Post
I just wish she'd pluck her eyebrows some.
Quote:
I also noticed the eyebrows.
You weren’t the only ones to notice, from The Ringer

Quote:
Michaela (Melissa Roxburgh), whose robust eyebrows I believed were Manifest’s main character until the smoke monster showed up...
Old 10-05-2018, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skara_Brae View Post
You weren’t the only ones to notice
Ha!

I wanted to not be distracted by them, but I was.
Old 10-05-2018, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Did I hear in the episode she got posthumously promoted to detective? How would that work? I assume she had already taken the exam/whatever before the flight, but still...
People in this thread are thinking harder than the writers of this show, because you're right:
Quote:
Episode 1:

Didn't expect you getting back to work this fast.

Probably not quite yet, assuming I actually still have a job here.

Technically, you still remain on desk duty. I'm guessing we can drum up a desk for you when you're ready.
What I understood from this was that it wasn't posthumous since she was never declared dead or struck from the roster; she was on desk duty right before she mysteriously disappeared, and all the exam/promotion/reinstatement happened after she got back to work.

On the other hand,
Quote:
Episode 2:

Congratulations, Detective.

Oh, yeah, it was a posthumous promotion. I didn't earn it. I can't even die the way I'm supposed to.
So they promoted her while she was "gone"? (It's not absolutely clear.) But if they thought she was actually dead, why was she still on duty, even desk duty, in Episode 1?
Old 10-05-2018, 03:46 PM

I assumed her "posthumous" comment was sarcasm.
Old 10-05-2018, 04:47 PM
Charter Member

[Moderating]

manson1972, the original comment about eyebrows might arguably have been slightly inappropriate. But your post #59 was absolutely, unambiguously inappropriate. If you see something that you think is inappropriate, you should report it, not up the ante.
Old 10-05-2018, 05:07 PM

Quote:
I assumed her "posthumous" comment was sarcasm.
That was my take as well, though the dialogue was confusing at best.

My interpretation is that she was a detective, then crashed her car while drunk, killing her friend in the passenger seat. For that she was put on desk duty until cleared by a shrink. (I think I must be wrong, though, because shouldn't she have been in jail for vehicular manslaughter?) Then the plane disappeared.
Old 10-05-2018, 07:01 PM

No, she definitely wasn’t a detective before the plane crashed (neither was her boyfriend/fiancé).
Old 10-05-2018, 07:11 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
No, she definitely wasn’t a detective before the plane crashed (neither was her boyfriend/fiancé).
She had a beat, they mentioned that.
Old 10-05-2018, 07:18 PM

Quote:
The thing is, you have to look at the situation as a whole. There are THOUSANDS of children with leukemia, and likely HUNDREDS of them were trying to get into the drug trial. It's not like the Dr. was saying, "oh, we could (potentially) help 50 children, but lets only give 49 a chance." No, they were picking WHICH 50 of the nominees would get the slots. No doubt they had a whole bunch of parameters to meet -- not just the ones they made explicit, like how long they'd been diagnosed and age, but stuff like not having any other conditions that could complicate and blur the results, maybe they need to insure a proper mix of blood types. Plus there are likely demographic concerns, like wanting roughly equal numbers of girls and boys, a suitable mixture of races and ethnic backgrounds, who knows what else.

But no matter what, the panel was picking a designated number to get the chance that this drug might help them. It could also be ineffective. It could make their condition worse. They don't know, that's why they run drug trials. And saying "NO" to all the rest.

So by this doctor insisting that THIS particular boy be included in the 'get the chance' group, she's also causing some other boy/girl NOT to 'get the chance.' Wanting to save a kid you love, or at least have met, is understandable, but I bet whichever child will now NOT get the chance was equally loved by his/her family.
You have a point. I suspected they'd say no, and then the family and/or the doctor from the plane would go to the media about it. Because the media wants to talk to these people anyway, and it's a sympathetic cause, and it would be embarrassing to the pharmaceutical company. All the points that you made in your post could be argued in the episode. That would have been a more interesting plot than what happened in number 2, in my opinion.

Last edited by Dendarii Dame; 10-05-2018 at 07:18 PM.
Old 10-05-2018, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
[Moderating]

manson1972, the original comment about eyebrows might arguably have been slightly inappropriate. But your post #59 was absolutely, unambiguously inappropriate. If you see something that you think is inappropriate, you should report it, not up the ante.
Fair enough. My post was not serious of course, but a natural result of allowing any appearance based comments that are not relevant to the topic at hand, as discussed in various Pit and ATMB threads recently. I'm not one for reporting posts but I understand what you are saying, of course. And I will take any further comments, if I have any, to ATMB, where moderator actions are discussed.
Old 10-06-2018, 03:39 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Fair enough. My post was not serious of course, but a natural result of allowing any appearance based comments that are not relevant to the topic at hand, as discussed in various Pit and ATMB threads recently.
Appearance of a leading actor, especially when the media has commented on that very thing, is certainly germane.
Old 10-06-2018, 04:32 AM

Quote:
My post was not serious of course, but a natural result of allowing any appearance based comments that are not relevant to the topic at hand, as discussed in various Pit and ATMB threads recently.
Television and movies are visual media, and as such, character appearance is relevant by definition. I don't know why you think nobody can ever comment on a woman's appearance ever again, but you are just flat-out wrong. The whole thing you're missing is if it's "relevant" or "germane" to the topic, and appearance is clearly and obviously relevant for discussion of visual media.

Also, that "natural result" of yours is made-up bullshit. Unless you can find a single example of something similar to that posted on the boards in any thread, at any time, about any show, I call bullshit.

Last edited by Ellis Dee; 10-06-2018 at 04:33 AM.
Old 10-10-2018, 10:04 AM

I watched E3 last night.

I liked the storyline with the twins, and how Olive is now dating Cal's (former) best friend. Five years is a huge difference at that age, and I've been wondering how/whether the show might try to address it.

I'm glad that Kelly Taylor's death was the result of a good, old-fashioned murder and not the work of a smoke monster, but the housekeeper must have gotten pretty close in order to place the pistol under her chin: wouldn't Taylor have said something? "Hey!" "What the...?" Something?

Also, I'm growing tired of the "Michaela's got a secret" thing. We know that her friend died and that Michaela was/feels responsible, but the line about "being honest with yourself" hinted at further drama and info she might even be repressing. I don't think I'm very interested in slowly uncovering hidden secrets about any of the main characters: tell us what we need to know about their backgrounds, then focus on the mystery.

In general, I still like the show well enough. I'll keep watching.
Old 10-10-2018, 01:10 PM

I thought the housekeeper snuck up behind Kelly and shot her in the back of the head.

I like the premise of the show enough to keep watching, but Jared is right. Michaela can't keep getting lucky on the cases. She's going to have to tell him sooner or later.

So, with her friend Evie...was Michaela drunk, tipsy, or the DD? I would guess if she was cleared then she wasn't drinking, but they didn't make that too clear.
Old 10-10-2018, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivylass View Post
So, with her friend Evie...was Michaela drunk, tipsy, or the DD? I would guess if she was cleared then she wasn't drinking, but they didn't make that too clear.
From what I understood, it was Michaela's birthday and Evie was supposed to be the DD. But the bartender thought Evie was cute and kept giving her free drinks, so Evie was drunker than Michaela. Michaela didn't want to drive, but Evie said she needed her car the next day and didn't want to take an Uber. So Michaela reluctantly agreed to drive even though she had been drinking.
Old 10-10-2018, 02:07 PM

But if Michaela were drunk she would have been dismissed from the force. I can't imagine the NYPD saying, "Oh, you were .04? Not legally impaired. Here's your badge."

So sad to find out Evie's mother doesn't realize her daughter is dead. That's probably good for mom, but how awful for dad.
Old 10-10-2018, 02:18 PM

That really resonated with me. My mother got dementia, and that 'break it to her that X is dead' situation happened over and over again. With fresh impact and upset and pain each time. Finally I started doing what that father did: lie. Dad hasn't been around all day? He's on a business trip, won't be back until tomorrow.
Old 10-10-2018, 02:56 PM

Quote:
I thought the housekeeper snuck up behind Kelly and shot her in the back of the head.
I have a pretty clear memory of them showing the body with the bullet hole under the chin and mentioning that the shot was from under the chin...

Quote:
Originally Posted by filmore View Post
From what I understood, it was Michaela's birthday and Evie was supposed to be the DD. But the bartender thought Evie was cute and kept giving her free drinks, so Evie was drunker than Michaela. Michaela didn't want to drive, but Evie said she needed her car the next day and didn't want to take an Uber. So Michaela reluctantly agreed to drive even though she had been drinking.
Yep, that's my understanding, too. I don't think Michaela was drunk, but she'd definitely had some drinks.

Quote:
But if Michaela were drunk she would have been dismissed from the force. I can't imagine the NYPD saying, "Oh, you were .04? Not legally impaired. Here's your badge."
Right?! I forgot about that until just now, but it bothered me, too! She gets reminded that she'd been cleared by the department of any wrongdoing, but how on earth is that possible in the face of a DUI??

Quote:
That really resonated with me. My mother got dementia, and that 'break it to her that X is dead' situation happened over and over again. With fresh impact and upset and pain each time. Finally I started doing what that father did: lie. Dad hasn't been around all day? He's on a business trip, won't be back until tomorrow.
Ugh. ♥
Old 10-10-2018, 05:46 PM

Quote:
I'm confused. If (for example) she blew a .04, there's nothing illegal about her driving, and in fact it would be an example of a properly executed designated driver situation. (The fact that they switched roles notwithstanding.) Wouldn't it?

What does the "legal limit" mean if not "below this limit, you're legal, it's all good."
Old 10-11-2018, 05:36 PM

We still haven't seen the whole accident so maybe there are additional circumstances in her favor. Swerving to avoid a teenager dressed in black and wearing headphones while walking in the street?

I am liking the show enough to keep watching but I am worried it's either going to come down to writers who don't have any real end game in mind or a cancellation with no resolution.
Old 10-11-2018, 08:19 PM
Charter Member

Will the third episdoe be shown again this week? I wanted to watch but was simply too tired after a long, hard day at work.
Old 10-11-2018, 09:06 PM

You can watch in online:

https://www.nbc.com/manifest?nbc=1
Old 10-11-2018, 09:26 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I have a pretty clear memory of them showing the body with the bullet hole under the chin and mentioning that the shot was from under the chin...

Yep, that's my understanding, too. I don't think Michaela was drunk, but she'd definitely had some drinks.

Right?! I forgot about that until just now, but it bothered me, too! She gets reminded that she'd been cleared by the department of any wrongdoing, but how on earth is that possible in the face of a DUI??

Ugh. ♥
My guess is that she wasnt .08 and the accident wasnt her fault. So yeah, an investigation, and a black mark, but she would have been cleared.
Old 10-12-2018, 10:26 AM

Quote:
I'm confused. If (for example) she blew a .04, there's nothing illegal about her driving, and in fact it would be an example of a properly executed designated driver situation. (The fact that they switched roles notwithstanding.) Wouldn't it?

What does the "legal limit" mean if not "below this limit, you're legal, it's all good."
I would think, as an NYPD officer, she's held to a higher standard. She may be legally unimpaired, but it may not be enough for her job status. Same thing with airline pilots.
Old 10-12-2018, 02:08 PM

Quote:
I would think, as an NYPD officer, she's held to a higher standard. She may be legally unimpaired, but it may not be enough for her job status. Same thing with airline pilots.
Not to sound too cynical, but my general assumption would be that police officers are held to lower standard, not higher. Something about the "blue wall of silence", blah blah blah... For example, right now in real life, are you saying that there isn't a single active NYPD officer who has as DUI on his or her record? (And of course, our intrepid hero does not even have a DUI.)

Even ignoring my cynicism, I'm just not seeing how driving under the legal limit is considered wrong or bad in any context outside of maybe alcoholism. If .04 were impaired, the legal limit wouldn't be .08.

Last edited by Ellis Dee; 10-12-2018 at 02:13 PM.
Old 10-12-2018, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Television and movies are visual media, and as such, character appearance is relevant by definition. I don't know why you think nobody can ever comment on a woman's appearance ever again, but you are just flat-out wrong. The whole thing you're missing is if it's "relevant" or "germane" to the topic, and appearance is clearly and obviously relevant for discussion of visual media.

Also, that "natural result" of yours is made-up bullshit. Unless you can find a single example of something similar to that posted on the boards in any thread, at any time, about any show, I call bullshit.
Great! So you would have no issues with a thread that debates the relative appearance of say, Ginger and Mary Ann?
Old 10-12-2018, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Not to sound too cynical, but my general assumption would be that police officers are held to lower standard, not higher. Something about the "blue wall of silence", blah blah blah... For example, right now in real life, are you saying that there isn't a single active NYPD officer who has as DUI on his or her record? (And of course, our intrepid hero does not even have a DUI.)

Even ignoring my cynicism, I'm just not seeing how driving under the legal limit is considered wrong or bad in any context outside of maybe alcoholism. If .04 were impaired, the legal limit wouldn't be .08.
Considering someone died in this situation, I would say Michaela was under some intense scrutiny. Assuming there was some publicity about this incident, "even the appearance" may be enough to get her fired if she were even a little under the influence. I don't know about off duty police officers who were weaving down the road and pulled over before they hurt anyone.
Old 10-12-2018, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Great! So you would have no issues with a thread that debates the relative appearance of say, Ginger and Mary Ann?
Man, you're really caught up in the righteous fervor, aren't you?

No, of course I wouldn't have any issue with a Maryann vs Ginger thread. There have been many such threads on the dope, with the most recent in May of this year. I don't have a strong opinion either way so I wouldn't have participated even if I were posting then, but I see moderators chimed in as posters with their thoughts on the topic, with no moderation or tut-tutting of any kind. As it should be.

If you want to continue this side discussion, I suggest making a thread in ATMB to avoid further derailing this show-specific thread.
Old 10-12-2018, 07:29 PM
Charter Member

https://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb...d.php?t=863829
Old 10-12-2018, 09:18 PM

Nice to see the twins playing cat's cradle - I used to do that with my brother when we were kids,and it looked like all the same patterns we got so good at.
Old 10-12-2018, 09:23 PM
Charter Member

[Moderating]

manson1972, if you have anything further to say on this topic, take it to ATMB. This is not the place, as you should have known after my first moderator note in this thread. This is now an official Warning, for jerkishly hijacking this thread.
Old 10-15-2018, 04:42 PM

OK, warning noted.

I'd like to participate in this thread in the future regarding the actual show, so further posts will be regarding the plot and such, not the tangent on appearance.
Old 10-15-2018, 11:04 PM
Charter Member

I really want to like this show but tonight's episode was not great. I want to see less chopped up storyline.
Old 10-16-2018, 02:14 AM

Yes, the dialogue and characterization are lame. It does not bode well for what the writers plan to do with the far-out premise.
Old 10-16-2018, 08:56 AM

There's a lot of stuff that doesn't seem believable, and I'm completely leaving the vanishing airplane/missing five years/voices in the head out of it.

Like Prince Charming's wife received a half million dollars from the insurance company and used a big chunk of it to pay off the mortgage on that house. Fine. Then she borrowed against it to start her business (something cooking? a restaurant or a catering service?) which apparently has made so little profit she hasn't been able to pay off the loan. Since otherwise she could just borrow against the house again to pay back the insurance money -- after all, it should be worth even more after five more years of rising house prices -- and she wouldn't be at all that desperate over the repayment letter.

But then Prince Charming runs some math(?) -- so now we know he's a teacher of math on the university level -- and announces they can just borrow the half million against the business and pay off that loan "taking as long as we like."

Uh, would a bank loan them half a million on a not-really-profitable business? And if they did, wouldn't they then have about a million dollars worth of debt (new loan plus original HELOC on house?) Both accruing interest, of course, and he's sanguine about paying them all back with the money she earns at the business plus the salary of a college professor? On top of general living expenses of course.

Does that make sense?
Old 10-16-2018, 09:28 AM

Quote:
But then Prince Charming runs some math(?) -- so now we know he's a teacher of math on the university level -- and announces they can just borrow the half million against the business and pay off that loan "taking as long as we like." ?
I think he said they could take a loan which they would invest (in something?) and use the profits from the investment to make regular payments to the insurance company. He was saying that if they made regular payments in good faith, they would be okay. So I guess he meant they could take a smaller loan than $500k for the investment.

But the silly thing is, how do they invest the money such that they make enough monthly profits to pay back both the loan and the insurance company? That would be a heck of an investment. If he's that savvy of an investor, he should just make that his full-time job instead of trying to be a teacher.
Old 10-16-2018, 10:02 AM

I'm sure the voices in his head would clue him onto some primo stock picks. Or, if he needs the money quick, he could try the racetrack.
Old 10-16-2018, 01:16 PM

Anyone else think of the Weeping Angels from the Whoverse after last night's episode?
"Yes, but that's because you're a wild human, not a tame human. The likes of you would have to be kept in a zoo, and the keepers would be very careful to never put their tentacles inside the bars"--Lemur866 describing Oak, 11/13/09
Molon labe--Leonidas I
Old 10-16-2018, 03:44 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
But then Prince Charming runs some math(?) -- so now we know he's a teacher of math on the university level -- and announces they can just borrow the half million against the business and pay off that loan "taking as long as we like."

Uh, would a bank loan them half a million on a not-really-profitable business? And if they did, wouldn't they then have about a million dollars worth of debt (new loan plus original HELOC on house?) Both accruing interest, of course, and he's sanguine about paying them all back with the money she earns at the business plus the salary of a college professor? On top of general living expenses of course.

Does that make sense?
No, that's not what he said. He said that they can pay back the insurance company as slowly as they like, as long as they make a "good faith" effort.
Old 10-16-2018, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDeth View Post
No, that's not what he said. He said that they can pay back the insurance company as slowly as they like, as long as they make a "good faith" effort.
I'm skeptical; how much interest would they be earning? (As you said earlier. And as you also pointed out, it seems unlikely that they could take out a new loan at all, if they no longer have equity in the house due to earlier loans taken out, and an unprofitable business wouldn't be good collateral, either.)

Anyway: I just watched the first four episodes, and am disappointed. I love a good high-concept SF premise, and remain curious how the five-year disappearance and voices-in-their-heads ideas will be explained.

But this show seems to follow some unofficial network-drama rule of 'have a bunch of characters who alternate between shouting at each other and staring off into the distance, fraught with emotion. Throw in a few occasional heartfelt hugs. Then repeat ad nauseam.'

I don't say this to thread-shit but to express a real frustration with this frequently-seen pattern. I think, maybe, it's just a lot easier to write this sort of stuff than to write shows with actually-surprising character interactions and plot developments. (Keeping it limited to network and basic cable, I'm thinking here of shows like Better Call Saul, The Americans, Justified, and Fargo.)

Maybe Manifest will end up surprising me; I'll certainly give it a few more tries. But I really could live without the fake-conflict (the shouting about issues that probably wouldn't be handled by shouting in real life). And no more staring into the distance, please.

Last edited by Sherrerd; 10-16-2018 at 08:30 PM.
Old 10-16-2018, 08:48 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakminster View Post
Anyone else think of the Weeping Angels from the Whoverse after last night's episode?
Heck yeah, I kept shouting "Don't blink!"

I'm looking for an edgier vibe to this, like Sawyer's wise-ass remarks on Lost, or a character like Hurley. I'm particularly disappointed in "Olive". The actor Luna Blaise (I keep wanting to type that as Blaise Pascal) was a hoot on Fresh Off the Boat as a rebel, goth, lesbian teen. If they had written Olive as a rebellious teen instead of the bland character on Manifest, there would be more humanity and realness in her role. If anyone should be rebellious, it'd be a teenage daughter whose life just got lot more complicated. And that's just one of the minor characters; I'm not really finding any character that grabs my attention and interests.