Old 10-09-2018, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gyrate View Post
What I think elevated the predator dude somewhat above "generic alien menace" level was that he wasn't just an alien menace; he was also a pompous jerk who liked to think of himself as a mighty hunter but still had to "cheat" to win his game. He wasn't Predator; he was Predator's less competent, more pathetic younger brother.
I like to think that no other member of his species has ever been to Earth, so none of his peers know that humans aren't quite the fearsome warriors he is building them up as. "As the tales tell, not even the Daleks have defeated mighty Earth" etc.

Last edited by Baron Greenback; 10-09-2018 at 12:58 PM.
Old 10-09-2018, 01:03 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAtoz View Post
I only watched the afternoon (in the US) airing, and haven't looked at the "Extended Edition" that was broadcast in the evening. Has anyone seen that? Does it add enough new material to justify watching it?
Most of the filler was clips from the NYC Comic Con panel that followed the screening of the show at Madison Square Garden. I was there. Whittaker and Chibnall were very interesting to listen to, you might enjoy it.

Last edited by PaperBlob; 10-09-2018 at 01:05 PM.
Old 10-09-2018, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywatcher View Post
That's a total of four out of how many?
Jamie was a Scottish highlander who was a piper for a military unit (and who carried a knife, incidentally). Harry was a naval doctor. Turlough was a member of his planet's military (though that happened offscreen). Wilfred Mott was noted for serving in the military but never taking a life. Rory was a Roman Centurion for longer than the age the Doctor claims to be. Captain Jack has done several stints in the military at different times. So it looks like the majority of the Doctor's male companions have actually been some kind of soldier.
Old 10-09-2018, 01:36 PM

Also note that the Doctor said "now with added Sheffield steel", and for all we know killed the bad guy with that sonic screw driver by transferring the bombs. I don't see any reason to think that it has anything to do with any more than the running hypocrisy.

The sonic screwdriver is used as a weapon and simply has no moral high ground to claim over a Sheffield pocket knife.
Old 10-09-2018, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Even more hypocritical is the fact that, right before she gave Karl shit for pushing Tim Shaw off the crane, she revealed that she had transferred the DNA bombs into Tim Shaw, so that when he activated them, they detonated within his own body. Somehow that's okay, but knocking a guy who was trying to kill you off of a high place isn't.
It's moral quibbling, but he killed himself by attempting to kill the Doctor and friends. Seems like the Doctor has done that trick before - she seems to have no qualms about getting beings to off themselves. In Smith's last episode, he got the wooden cyberman to shoot himself by implying that he'd reversed the function of the cyber-gun. I'm sure there are other examples of beings being offed trying to kill others.

I'd have to rewatch, but it seems like Tim Shaw had more-or-less surrendered (or at the least was beaten) when crane boy pushed him off, so at not 'fair play' (even if understandable).
Old 10-09-2018, 03:03 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantastic View Post
Jamie was a Scottish highlander who was a piper for a military unit (and who carried a knife, incidentally). Harry was a naval doctor. Turlough was a member of his planet's military (though that happened offscreen). Wilfred Mott was noted for serving in the military but never taking a life. Rory was a Roman Centurion for longer than the age the Doctor claims to be. Captain Jack has done several stints in the military at different times. So it looks like the majority of the Doctor's male companions have actually been some kind of soldier.
Sill less than a dozen.
Old 10-09-2018, 03:15 PM
Charter Member

Compared to them, the Doctor primarily encounters incompetent boobs.
Old 10-09-2018, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Compared to them, the Doctor primarily encounters incompetent boobs.
When Peter Davidson regenerated, there were thoroughly competent boobs. (scroll down to moment 7...)
Old 10-09-2018, 04:45 PM

Quote:
That's a total of four out of how many?
Are these goalposts an alien species? Because they sure seem to be moving, unlike normal ones.
Old 10-09-2018, 06:06 PM

I enjoyed the episode, thought the supporting cast did a fine job, and really liked Jodie Whittaker's Doctor. I think the show is in good hands.

I prefer to come into things like this with no spoilers. But against my better judgement, I watched a 5-minute preview that my DVR recorded. It showed who the three companions were to be, and therefore I figured Grace wasn't going to make it through the episode, which affected my viewing experience. Too bad, but I still enjoyed it.
Old 10-09-2018, 07:31 PM
Charter Member

I don't like the new sonic screwdriver and I really don't like her costume (it still reminds me of Rainbow Brite).

But the story and Doctor herself were fine.
Old 10-09-2018, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDibble View Post
Are these goalposts an alien species? Because they sure seem to be moving, unlike normal ones.
They're smaller on the inside than they appear on the outside.
Old 10-09-2018, 07:55 PM

I enjoyed the episode. Part of it was missing having any Doctor Who for so long.

I liked Jodie although I do agree, we used CC a few times. I'm sure it will grow on me.

I also agree, although it can be a fine line, that the line of the Doctor was defensive or them making the choice and stopping them compared to murder. However, I could get behind her being a bit too hard on the crane operator.

I liked the companions and agree not seeing the other person did ruin that a bit but some good development. I was also happy that Ryan was talking about his grandmother! And that he couldn't suddenly ride the bike. Nice little touches.

So, my usually nitpicky quibbles but I enjoyed it and wanted the next one right away!
Old 10-09-2018, 09:37 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Not at all. See post 57 for a clarification: the vast majority that turn up on screen seem to be annoyances, at best.

Last edited by Skywatcher; 10-09-2018 at 09:41 PM.
Old 10-10-2018, 02:32 AM

Quote:
Not at all.
Yes, totally. Going from "Everyone except the Brigadier" to "still less than a dozen" is the very epitome of moving the goalposts.
Old 10-10-2018, 03:39 AM

So, was the audience suppose to not see the companions teleporting with The Doctor at the end coming from a thousand miles away, or were only the characters supposed to be surprised?
Old 10-10-2018, 09:47 AM
Not a real doctor.
Charter Member

Quote:
Even more hypocritical is the fact that, right before she gave Karl shit for pushing Tim Shaw off the crane, she revealed that she had transferred the DNA bombs into Tim Shaw, so that when he activated them, they detonated within his own body. Somehow that's okay, but knocking a guy who was trying to kill you off of a high place isn't.

I won't bother to link to it, but there is a YouTube video that's fairly easy to find if you search for it, showing that the Doctor in fact has a long history of using guns against various enemies, even while preaching self-righteously against ever doing such a barbaric thing.
Dont forget Number 4 straight up murdered Solon in Brain of Morbius by sending cyanide gas up the chimney.

Quote:
Originally Posted by glee View Post
When Peter Davidson regenerated, there were thoroughly competent boobs. (scroll down to moment 7...)
And my fourteen year-old self was never the same.
Old 10-10-2018, 10:14 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
"Everyone except the Brigadier"
You're missing a couple of words there.
Quote:
pretty much the only competent soldier ever encountered has been the Brigadier.
IOW, the vast majority have not been competent.
Old 10-10-2018, 11:25 AM

Quote:
You're missing a couple of words there.
Naah, you don't get to appeal to weasel words when you've followed them up with non-comparables like "only" and "ever". The latter negates that weaselling sense of the former.
Old 10-10-2018, 11:37 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Naah, you don't get to appeal to weasel words when you've followed them up with non-comparables like "only" and "ever". The latter negates that weaselling sense of the former.
Maybe for those who didn't fail high school English twice.

I know what I meant, which was not "everyone except the Brigadier".

Last edited by Skywatcher; 10-10-2018 at 11:38 AM.
Old 10-10-2018, 08:07 PM

Screwdriver question, brought up by rewatching "Day of the Doctor".

So, apparently the 13 Doctors have all been using the same sonic, in a Theseus' ship sense.

However, the new Doctor built hers brand-new. So, I think this means they have written out using the "the sonic has been calculating a solution for centuries" dodge, right? Which is good thing, IMO.
Old 10-10-2018, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Folacin View Post

So, apparently the 13 Doctors have all been using the same sonic, in a Theseus' ship sense.

However, the new Doctor built hers brand-new. So, I think this means they have written out using the "the sonic has been calculating a solution for centuries" dodge, right? Which is good thing, IMO.
Until another few centuries go by...
Old 10-10-2018, 09:17 PM

Jodie Whittaker is so beautiful.

That is all.
Old 10-10-2018, 09:32 PM

Quote:

However, the new Doctor built hers brand-new...
Unless the various screwdrivers are all versions of one universal screwdriver... a Platonic sonic.

My teenager's take on the pilot was that the new Doctor was "really good, David Tennant good".
Old 10-10-2018, 09:32 PM

I don't expect complete continuity even within one Doctor or one show runner let alone across the entire run of all Doctors.

There are throw away lines that won't be consistent. Personality traits and beliefs that will vary. Yeah, the Doctor has often expressed disdain for most soldiers and weapons (remember his dislike of Danny Pink), as a general rule. Yet the Doctor has killed more and used more advanced weapons than those so disdained. No one says the Doctor lives by the rules the Doctor judges others by.

FWIW I heard the knife line as a joke, a riff on what other Doctors had said about guns modified ad absurdium given the clear general utility of knives, how much the sonic has been used as an all purpose weapon, and the locale of the episode. YMMV.

Here's a question. What are the essential traits that every Doctor must have in order to be the Doctor? And how well does this Doctor inhabit these traits?
Old 10-11-2018, 12:31 AM

Quote:

I was under the impression that there were a few situations where the Doctor got a new one from the TARDIS. And he did give one to River Song, meaning more than one exists. Of course, some seasons have had centuries elapse in them, so that doesn't mean the "calculating for centuries" is a problem.

I don't think they'll go there with this Doctor, given that they are going for a more episodic feel. It would have to be a one-off in the episode.

BTW, my fanwank is that, in-universe, it's called a sonic screwdriver not because it works with sonic waves, but because it makes a certain noise when working and has the general form factor of a screwdriver. The technology that makes that noise is called "sonic."
Old 10-11-2018, 01:39 AM
Charter Member

Anything is better than sonic sunglasses.
Old 10-11-2018, 04:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB99 View Post
Jodie Whittaker is so beautiful.

That is all.
Yes she is. But how would you compare her to Leela?
Old 10-11-2018, 11:47 AM

Quote:
They've had the actual unit get lost, stolen, or destroyed before and the Doctor just turns up with another one later. I think the data on the device the Doctor carries gets backed up to some central store on the TARDIS, so they all have continuity even if a particular one has to be replaced.

Quote:
The only way the doctor was able to do that was to cross his own timeline and send the instructions back to his old self, which they've established is extremely dangerous and risks destroying everything whenever he does it. So it's already not a trick she can pull out on a whim to solve any complicated problem, it's something that she can only use if she's willing to risk destroying the universe.
Old 10-11-2018, 11:58 AM

Reading up some ... Ten made some guns are stupid comments and Twelve about contempt for soldiers ... but it really has not been something that crosses consistently across regenerations, mostly showing up in NuWho after the Time war (and the War Doctor's experiences).

All the more reason to hear the knife comment as a joke at Ten's expense.
Old 10-11-2018, 03:56 PM

Quote:

The new doctor is later in the timeline. Remember that the calculations were completed by the Matt Smith era. Peter and Jodie come much later.
Old 10-11-2018, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantastic View Post
They've had the actual unit get lost, stolen, or destroyed before and the Doctor just turns up with another one later. I think the data on the device the Doctor carries gets backed up to some central store on the TARDIS, so they all have continuity even if a particular one has to be replaced.
Not all the classic Doctors even had the sonic screwdriver. The First Doctor never did--it debuted about halfway through the Second Doctor's time, in the story Fury From the Deep. The Third and Fourth Doctors used it a lot. The assumption was always that it was the same device, even though its appearance did change over the years.

It was destroyed in the Fifth Doctor story The Visitation, specifically to prevent the Doctor from having a "magic wand" that could solve any story problem. There was no suggestion that he could get a new one--indeed, he said, "I feel like I've lost an old friend," and it never appeared again in the original series.

NuWho brought it back, and added the notion that every Doctor gets a new version, and that there are spare ones lying around that the Doctor can pass out to other people.
Old 10-12-2018, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSeid View Post

FWIW I heard the knife line as a joke, a riff on what other Doctors had said about guns modified ad absurdium given the clear general utility of knives, how much the sonic has been used as an all purpose weapon, and the locale of the episode. YMMV.
I didn't take it as a joke at all, unless they're mocking the knife bans in UK. If they aren't mocking the knife bans in the UK, then I'd see it as support that only miscreants carry knives.
Old 10-12-2018, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashtura View Post
I didn't take it as a joke at all, unless they're mocking the knife bans in UK. If they aren't mocking the knife bans in the UK, then I'd see it as support that only miscreants carry knives.
Your humor mileage may vary.
Old 10-12-2018, 01:17 PM

The Doctor has a habit of being dismissive when in a hurry. I wouldn't read anything more into the statement other than "I don't need a knife right now - stop bothering me until I'm done with my current task."
Old 10-12-2018, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceplace57 View Post
I'm not impressed that Chris Chibnall rehashed the Predator story. Couldn't he have been more original with his first new season script?

Jodie Whittaker did a nice job. Reminds me of David Tennant's doctor.

It'll be interesting to see how the season goes.
You've changed your tune; I suppose that's a good thing. It's certainly an improvement on:

Quote:
This has to be the stupidest thing I've ever seen on TV.

Let's make a new movie about the Civil War. We'll cast a woman in ole Abe Lincoln's role. Maybe we can cast Minnie Driver as George Washington in the next Revolutionary War movie.

It's the BBC's show they can ruin it however they want. I'm done.

It's the same thing I've seen with some of the classic comic book characters. I wish they had been retired instead of distorting them into something unrecognizable.

Last edited by Penfeather; 10-12-2018 at 07:36 PM.
Old 10-12-2018, 07:49 PM

I'm giving Chris Chibnall the new head writer and Jodie a chance.

It's natural to be curious about the direction Chris will take.

Last edited by aceplace57; 10-12-2018 at 07:49 PM.
Old 10-13-2018, 10:27 AM

Nobody has yet said "It's bigger on the inside!", correct?
So which companion do you think will say it?
Old 10-13-2018, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceplace57 View Post
I'm giving Chris Chibnall the new head writer and Jodie a chance.

It's natural to be curious about the direction Chris will take.
Seriously, kudos for being able to get over your initial ... rigidity ... and approaching the new series with a more open mind.

I think there are many like you.

The show will maintain, grow, or lose its viewership based on how well Whittaker creates and inhabits a Doctor that is different enough while being the same enough and most of all interesting/fun enough, and how well Chinball runs a show that hits all the notes that Who has to hit. If they do that viewers like you will keep watching and more will join. If not? Oh well.
Old 10-13-2018, 11:38 AM

Spoiler for the setting of an upcoming episode:

SPOILER:
The third episode is apparently called "Rosa" and is set in 1950's Alabama. Intriguing...
Old 10-13-2018, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Well, nobody has seen the Tardis yet

My bet? Graham suggesting "It's a bit smaller than I was expecting."
Old 10-13-2018, 03:09 PM

So - watched the episode with 'Grumpy Old Man Mode' switched off - I still don't see the line "only idiots need a knife" as a joke - but I'm willing to let it slide - and I'm hoping that the line comes back later to bite when she suddenly finds she, in fact, needs a knife for a particular situation.

Lets face it - second only to a towel, a knife is one of the must useful tools to have around. There's even a rule about always carrying one.

Beyond that - I thought the episode was enjoyable - I thought much like when #9 showed up, that it was a good intro for new viewers and alot of things for existing fans. I was very fond of her predecessor and am very curious as to where she takes the role.

Last edited by simster; 10-13-2018 at 03:10 PM.
Old 10-13-2018, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonzer View Post
Well, nobody has seen the Tardis yet

My bet? Graham suggesting "It's a bit smaller than I was expecting."
Maybe the Doctor herself will say it.
Old 10-14-2018, 06:11 PM
Charter Member

Here is the new title sequence if you are curious.
Old 10-14-2018, 10:23 PM
Charter Member

Ah, a forgettable episode. I feel bad for the new Doctor. She's had two episodes, does her best, but honestly, this is just the same forgettable crap we've been given the past couple years.
Old 10-14-2018, 10:36 PM

What was in the drawer that the Doctor ate at the end? I assume that it was a callback to something, but it wasn't a jelly baby or a fishstick.
Old 10-14-2018, 11:25 PM
Charter Member

A custard cream biscuit. Not a callback, just a quirky thing, apparently specially added for Jodie.
Old 10-15-2018, 12:35 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vislor View Post
I liked Jodie although I do agree, we used CC a few times. I'm sure it will grow on me.
:Looks at poster's name: Well, it's reassuring that you approve.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vislor View Post
So, my usually nitpicky quibbles but I enjoyed it and wanted the next one right away!
Same, really. I really liked the setting of the first episode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSeid View Post
Here's a question. What are the essential traits that every Doctor must have in order to be the Doctor? And how well does this Doctor inhabit these traits?
Sort of a heroic super-nerd, brains over brawn, a tiny bit of a teacher, but also a bit too full of himself; and of course, "never cowardly nor cruel."

The second episode reminds me a bit of some of the weird Eleven episodes, and one of the Nine episodes, if less bleak. It was a bit stressful to watch, but by the end I figured the ship would have to show up. It wasn't as much fun as running around Sheffield, but I liked the three guest actors well enough. It sounds like the blue jerks from the previous episode are going to be a thing this year.
Old 10-15-2018, 07:16 AM

Remember, kids - guns bad, exploding gas fields good.

I enjoyed the second episode, with a few grumpy misgivings. I'm always slightly annoyed when an alien race we've never heard of before suddenly becomes a ubiquitous Big Bad; I know you can't plan too far ahead on these things but it always feels abrupt. And then they go away suddenly (I mean, who cares about the Silence now?). And we've got yet another Mystery From The Doctor's Past and'or catchphrase/nickname ("Timeless Child") that random alien beings taunt the Doctor about. After, what, two millennia of life you'd have thought all these things would have been revealed by now.

That said, it was an otherwise enjoyable and action-packed episode. The "Call of Duty" sequence was hilarious, the scenery was nice and we got sufficient tragic backstories for the other characters to make them relatable. The new TARDIS is...new, but I suppose it will grow on me. And you can't beat a custard cream dispenser.
Old 10-15-2018, 08:06 AM
Charter Member

Far too much sonic screwdriver!

And as for the new TARDIS
SPOILER:
As a first impression, I didn't like how it looked like the police box was only a vestibule they went though to reach the main space. It would have been better if they didn't have 'Police Box' in bright lights to indicate the way out again. IMHO.