Old 11-05-2018, 07:06 AM

Excellent fun episode!

This one is more a call back to classic Who with some good humorous bits cutting into tension and the Doctor filling out her personality some.

Back to a universe though in which the Doctor has been written about ... more a volume than a chapter ... said somewhat sheepishly ... is that consistent now? I've lost track.
Old 11-05-2018, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gyrate View Post
I did think the Pting was channeling the gremlin from Hotel Transylvania, though; all we were missing was an "I didn't do that".

I thought it was channeling gremlins, but didn't think of any specific presentation.
Old 11-05-2018, 07:19 AM

Loose end question: did we find out why the Doctor was fixated on the name "Tsuranga"? Or is this another "to be revealed" point?
Old 11-05-2018, 08:08 AM

She's a Futurama fan, but forgot Leela's name doesn't have an s in it?
Old 11-05-2018, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuanoLad View Post
Wow, nobody's even posted anything about today's episode, that's how mediocre it was.
I liked this episode a lot, it's my favorite of the season (though I always count the post-regen episode as their own thing). They had an interesting alien threat that got resolved with a clever plan that wasn't full of holes, one of those competent soldiers the doctor always pretends don't exist, a major threat from automated beurocracy, interesting setting, several odd aliens and background characters, and the ending didn't have any overly preachy bit.

Also I finally noted one really unique piece of this Doctor's personality - she's actually willing to admit that she's wrong sometimes, instead of continuing to bluster indefinitely. The scene where senior medical guy talked her down from taking over the ship ended with her saying 'oh, I am being unreasonable' which isn't something most Doctors are capable of.

Quote:
Loose end question: did we find out why the Doctor was fixated on the name "Tsuranga"? Or is this another "to be revealed" point?
I think we did. She was coming out of surgery, sort of recognized the name of the ship, but recovering brain didn't put together 'that's a ship, you're not on the junk planet anymore', so she kept looking for an exit to the planet even though there wouldn't be one.
Old 11-05-2018, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantastic View Post

Also I finally noted one really unique piece of this Doctor's personality - she's actually willing to admit that she's wrong sometimes, instead of continuing to bluster indefinitely. The scene where senior medical guy talked her down from taking over the ship ended with her saying 'oh, I am being unreasonable' which isn't something most Doctors are capable of.

His Chibs et al are still playing with gender roles and subverting expectations; the Doctor, Yaz, and the General running around stunning the bad guy, piloting the ship, doing the hero things; while Ryan and Graham were nuturing poor Yoss on his birthbed. The trope of "expectant, er, parent, gives birth in middle of crisis" is well-worn, but having the whole situation be an almost all-male affair was rather sweet. In addition to the Doctor admitting she was wrong - and she most certainly was - there was another subverted expectation: I assumed she fed the Pting the bomb in order to kill it. But that's not how this Doctor rolls - her plan was to feed it, then send it on its way. Definite maternal vibe to this episode.

Anyone else think that her comment about feeling so much better informed after the computer briefing about the Pting was a wink at the fact that the scene was exposition-slash-infodump?

Quote:
Originally Posted by What Exit? View Post
Not much, but "anarchy in the UK"
Took reading this thread to get the pun. I knew the phrase was a reference to something, but I just couldn't remember to what.
Old 11-05-2018, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren Garrison View Post
I thought it was channeling gremlins, but didn't think of any specific presentation.
I was thinking of gremlins, but also of the cute little creatures that turned out to have fangs in "Galaxy Quest"
Old 11-05-2018, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy L View Post
I was thinking of gremlins, but also of the cute little creatures that turned out to have fangs in "Galaxy Quest"
The Galaxy Quest things were what I thought of when I saw the Pting.
Old 11-05-2018, 10:36 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by What Exit? View Post
The Galaxy Quest things were what I thought of when I saw the Pting.
Of course they're minors. They're like three years old!

Not MINORS, MINERS!
Old 11-05-2018, 10:50 PM

The pting made me think of Stitch from "Lilo and Stitch".
Old 11-07-2018, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maus Magill View Post
Leela. She carried a knife, which she used... a lot. Almost to the point where you would say, "This is a childrens' show?"
http://tardis.wikia.com/wiki/File:Leela_in_skins.jpg

I guess we finally have an explanation of the popularity of the Tom Baker era.

Does seem that the show has come a ways (though I think that it's fair to say that fan service was at least some component of Karen Gillan's portrayal on the show).
Old 11-07-2018, 08:59 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broomstick View Post
Yes, well, Krasko's era found him so deviant they actually implanted a device in his brain to control his impulses. Pretty safe to assume he is/was considered "mentally ill" by his native society.
I doubt his native society really paid that much attention to other issues beyond the whole "killed two thousand people" thing.

As for the current episode, it had the feel of a typical monster-of-the-week story, complete with arbitrary setup parameters (the whole "Mission Control will blow us up if we deviate off course or keep insisting that everything's OK when they suspect it isn't" business) that make less sense the more you think about them. If nothing else, you'd think that security protocols for an ambulance-ship service would be focused more on the obvious threat (spreading an epidemic) that pertains particularly to medical transport.

Last edited by Steve MB; 11-07-2018 at 09:01 AM.
Old 11-07-2018, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage Rat View Post

Does seem that the show has come a ways (though I think that it's fair to say that fan service was at least some component of Karen Gillan's portrayal on the show).
And also Romana -who Tom Baker married...

In my opinion, Tom Baker was a great Doctor because of his other-wordly manner.
Old 11-07-2018, 09:34 AM

My problem with the episode is that it just wasn't that smart. I mean, the fact that the Pting just wanted to eat, and that it was after energy? The plan to attract it with an energy source and launch it out the airlock? That was both obvious and pedestrian.

I expect the Doctor to be three steps ahead of me. If I can figure out the plan before she can, then it's not a good episode.
Old 11-07-2018, 09:44 AM

I'm disappointing that no one here has put the obvious apostrophe in P'Ting, but never mind.

Decent ep. The Doctor was better, she took more control and did her thing without the recent odd morality that we've talked about here. She had a weird monologue about Antimatter drives that I didn't particularly understand the point of, but I liked the little side stories with the general and the guy having the baby as well.
Old 11-07-2018, 10:35 AM

That's probably because there is no apostrophe in Pting.
Old 11-07-2018, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broomstick View Post
although you'd still suffer discrimination for it... So... Tennant Doctor and Martha would have fewer problems than Whitaker Doctor and Ryan.
And what I'm pointing out is that the smaller discrimination and extant, but fewer problems were not mentioned as issues at all in that episode. Typically such things don't pose a problem and those (plus wildly anachronistic clothing) just get ignored by people where the Doctor and Companions are visiting, but for this episode they deviated from the pattern, and whatever usually makes that sort of thing get ignored wasn't happening. I don't object to it, but I think it's worth noting that they had to drop out of the usual series 'rules' for the episode.

Quote:
Yes, well, Krasko's era found him so deviant they actually implanted a device in his brain to control his impulses. Pretty safe to assume he is/was considered "mentally ill" by his native society.
I disagree. They found him to be a murderous criminal who killed 2000 people, so implanted a chip that prevented him from killing people, but didn't stop him from threatening to kill them, time-zapping them thousands of years out of their known era, or telling black people to 'know their place'. The device seems to be extremely narrowly limited to stopping him from murdering people, but doesn't appear to control any impulses other than direct murder. The Doctor also never mentions anything about his attitudes being anachronistic for someone from 6000 years in the future, and treats him like a dangerous criminal with unpleasant but ordinary prejudices, not as someone who's extremely mentally sick and disconnected from the reality of his time.
Old 11-07-2018, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamino Neko View Post
That's probably because there is no apostrophe in Pting.
Even the wiki gets it wrong. Sad times indeed.

Old 11-07-2018, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teuton View Post
She had a weird monologue about Antimatter drives that I didn't particularly understand the point of, but I liked the little side stories with the general and the guy having the baby as well.
I think the antimatter drive thing was basically her equivalent to someone with a passion for well maintained antique automobiles or aircraft. A ship that works on antimatter would seem pretty primitive to the workings of something like the TARDIS.

Guy with baby was stupid IMHO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve
As for the current episode, it had the feel of a typical monster-of-the-week story, complete with arbitrary setup parameters (the whole "Mission Control will blow us up if we deviate off course or keep insisting that everything's OK when they suspect it isn't" business)
Which is something you want in a medevac ship.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McQwark
The pting made me think of Stitch from "Lilo and Stitch".
You're not the only one. It also reminded me of Nibbler from Futurama. More so now that I remember that Nibbler's "mistresse's" full name was "Turanga Leela" and the ship from the episode was called the "Tsuranga".

Last edited by msmith537; 11-07-2018 at 01:47 PM.
Old 11-07-2018, 05:05 PM

My husband thought the banging sounds might be the TARDIS trying to get in somehow.

I thought they might be whatever the unseen creature was from Midnight.
Old 11-07-2018, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage Rat View Post

Well as a kid this ep had the Doctor with a rifle and the scene with Leela coming out of the water escaping from the giant rat ... well as a teen boy I was amazed that this was a children's show!

Yes, I also had a crush on her.
Old 11-07-2018, 09:08 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSeid View Post
But I thank you for the answer. Honestly I don't see a huge degree of irrational spider fear in the United States, either among real people or in media, but spiders as particularly scary seems to be a very common British theme, from Shelob of Tolkein fame, to Aragog in Harry Potter, to this.

Trying to come up with a famous spider in American literature/media the first my mind comes up with is Charlotte and her web. But it seems that such a character, a loving, wise, and friendly spider, would simply never fly on the other side of the pond. (And our spider does indeed do that!) Then maybe "Itsy Bitsy" who climbed up the water spout, and our appropriated from Africa, Anasi, whose cleverness is scary I guess.
Wild guess:
Since Yanks have a pretty bad relationship with mosquitoes (who are insects), which has morphed into a typical dislike of winged insects in general, critters like spiders that eat insects are generally seen as allies. But some Yanks tend to dislike all "creepy-crawlies."

I like spiders (and dragonflies, and hornets). But of course I also grew up on Spider-Man & Spider-Woman comics, which treat some aspects of spideriness as good things.

One thing I dislike about Tolkienian fantasy is the codification of certain fabulous creatures as generally evil, notably and specifically giant spiders.

I like that in this adventure the Doctor was very nice to the spiders, at least superficially.
Old 11-07-2018, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSeid View Post
Well as a kid this ep had the Doctor with a rifle and the scene with Leela coming out of the water escaping from the giant rat ... well as a teen boy I was amazed that this was a children's show!

Yes, I also had a crush on her.
Yep, no wet t-shirt contests in nu-who as yet.
Old 11-09-2018, 02:56 AM

Well, that was bloody stupid.
Old 11-09-2018, 02:43 PM
Charter Member

What, the gremlin episode or the lack of wet tops?
Old 11-09-2018, 06:17 PM

Can we drop the hurr-durr lol boobs amirite? stuff, please?
Old 11-09-2018, 09:08 PM
Charter Member

I was trying to clarify what you meant by "that," in context. I'm sorry for making my question a joke, but I really did not find it clear.
Old 11-11-2018, 05:02 PM

..."Demons of the Punjab" was the first episode this season that didn't have Chibnall in the writing credits: and I really hope that it happens more often. The doctor had more room to breath this episode: the humor hit the mark a bit better, it just seemed like a more well-rounded hour of television. Well done Vinay Patel.

And I have to admit I knew very little about the partition before the episode, and I'm sure I'm not the only one. I've spent the last hour reading up about this important moment in history and if a "kids programme" can do that to me: image what its doing to actual kids
Old 11-11-2018, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banquet Bear View Post
..."Demons of the Punjab" was the first episode this season that didn't have Chibnall in the writing credits: and I really hope that it happens more often. The doctor had more room to breath this episode: the humor hit the mark a bit better, it just seemed like a more well-rounded hour of television. Well done Vinay Patel.

And I have to admit I knew very little about the partition before the episode, and I'm sure I'm not the only one. I've spent the last hour reading up about this important moment in history and if a "kids programme" can do that to me: image what its doing to actual kids
My reaction as well, including wanting to read more about the history. I am really liking all the new actors and characters but most of the stories have been somewhat lackluster. This one is easily my favorite of the new season. It was beautifully filmed and I enjoyed the music.

Next week looks like it could be fun from the previews. Getting back to more of an alien/future sci-fi story with lots of effects. I like the character driven Earth history stories but I am glad they are going to mix it up a little.
Old 11-11-2018, 09:24 PM

Yup. And teared up near the end a drop or two I did.
Old 11-12-2018, 01:34 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicest of the Damned View Post
My reaction as well, including wanting to read more about the history. I am really liking all the new actors and characters but most of the stories have been somewhat lackluster. This one is easily my favorite of the new season. It was beautifully filmed and I enjoyed the music.
When it ended, I had to look up "What is a mahr?"

That was, by far, the best episode of the season.

minor spoiler -
SPOILER:
Shouldn't Yaz's Nani recognize her in the future at the end of the episode? As the Doctor & Companions were half of the people at the wedding, I would think they might be something remembered.
Old 11-12-2018, 01:38 AM
Charter Member

Can you remember someone you glancingly met fifty years ago? Notice the others weren't with her in the presence of Nani, which might have sparked suspicion, but to her she's seen Yaz grow up, and probably envisions her as she looked as a teenager more than resembling a fleeting figure of decades past.
Old 11-12-2018, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicest of the Damned View Post
My reaction as well, including wanting to read more about the history.
It looks like you were not the only one. The Wikipedia page traffic was up from the regular 3000 to 28,500 views in one day.
Old 11-13-2018, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amarinth View Post
When it ended, I had to look up "What is a mahr?"

That was, by far, the best episode of the season.

minor spoiler -
SPOILER:
Shouldn't Yaz's Nani recognize her in the future at the end of the episode? As the Doctor & Companions were half of the people at the wedding, I would think they might be something remembered.
I think she does recognize Yaz - I don't think it's a coincidence that Yaz is her "favorite granddaughter" and that she gave Yaz the watch.
Old 11-13-2018, 09:36 AM

That line about "my favourite granddaughter" made me cringe - in front of the other granddaughter!
Old 11-13-2018, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eclipse Chaser View Post
That line about "my favourite granddaughter" made me cringe - in front of the other granddaughter!
Made Yaz's mom cringe, too!

I almost feel like this episode could have functioned just as well, maybe even better, without the obligatory aliens. They didn't end up having much to do with the story. Plus, not having them would have eliminated the rather weird moment where these alien creatures, famous throughout the galaxy as feared, ruthless assassins, suddenly declare, "No, we don't assassinate anybody anymore, now we just watch folks die, honest," and the Doctor just takes their word on that.

Take out the aliens, and this becomes something that the show used to do often, but hasn't in quite a while now--a pure historical story. Even more so that "Rosa," where the Doctor and her friends still had to do something to keep history on the right track, here they really were just there to witness events.

It may just be Bradley Walsh's greater experience as an actor--he can sell a lot of things with just an expression, more so than his younger co-stars--but Graham is shaping up the be the strongest and best-characterized companion. He seems to treat the "Doc" almost as an equal, rather than standing in awe of her as most companions do. With three companions, the TARDIS is a bit crowded right now, and unfortunately some of them are getting short shrift.
Old 11-13-2018, 11:03 AM

I've seen every episode this season except for the latest one (seen the Pting one, not the Punjab one). I'm a casual viewer, rather than an actual fan of the show, but I've been really impressed with Doctor Who in the past, based on individual episodes I thought were really well-written and thought-provoking. So I'm really not trying to be mean when I say this, but...

Does this show even have writers? Or do they have a script-generating-machine where they set the dial to "generic sci-fi" and let it crank something out? It's cliches, tropes and stock characters all around - script-writing by dartboard! I can't even begin to enumerate the problems with it (I'm sure you've discussed some of them, I haven't read the whole thread). Anyway, I've found every episode of the new season to be a complete waste of time. I felt the same way about several episodes from the last season as well.

It's not the cast. They're fine. It's the complete lack of anything interesting or... smart!

Like I said, I'm not a real fan, so maybe I just don't get it. And there may be some better episodes coming through the pipe. I just don't understand how they expect to attract new fans like this! What does this show offer to people who aren't already fans?
Old 11-13-2018, 11:40 AM

Wonder what happened to the Thijarian homeworld? I suspect that will come up again later. Wonder if the Shadow Proclamation had anything to do with it?

Hope it wasn't something the Doctor did, or at least failed to prevent.

Last edited by Dendarii Dame; 11-13-2018 at 11:40 AM.
Old 11-13-2018, 11:38 PM

I'm guessing it does have something to do with the "Oncoming Storm".

Last edited by Drunky Smurf; 11-13-2018 at 11:38 PM.
Old 11-14-2018, 03:38 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuauhtemoc View Post
It's not the cast. They're fine. It's the complete lack of anything interesting or... smart!

Like I said, I'm not a real fan, so maybe I just don't get it. And there may be some better episodes coming through the pipe. I just don't understand how they expect to attract new fans like this! What does this show offer to people who aren't already fans?
I've been somewhat disappointed, especially since the new showrunner, Chris Chibnall, has written some of my preferred Doctor Who episodes in the past (I particularly liked "42") as well as a couple of Torchwood episodes.

In thinking about it, though, he does have a tendency to NOT explain everything about aliens that show up, in contrast to Moffat who often over-explained. For whatever reason, Chibnall also seems to have gone for the "historical episode" format which, as noted, is not new to Who but hasn't been seen for awhile.

In retrospect, this actually goes back to last year's Christmas Special, where there was NOT an evil alien plot, it dealt with a real, historical time period and event (Christmas Armistice of WWI), and that event was NOT precipitated by the Doctor(s) but rather than people in the event and the Doctor(s) stood on the sidelines as an observer. But that was more interesting plot-wise because you had the Doctor encountering himself and that's hard to make boring.

Of the shows so far:

"The Woman Who Fell to Earth" - there is an "alien invasion" of sorts, but it's of the one person variety and the Doctor (with some help) saves the day. So... let's call it traditional NuWho. Not a historical set piece.

"The Ghost Monument" - takes place on an alien planet with "human aliens" on a deathworld full of bioengineered hazards. Typical of the later OldWho and some of the NuWho. Not a historical set piece.

"Rosa" - set in real history, about a real event, something we haven't really seen since HartnellWho. A lot of people felt strongly about this one, probably because it does deal with real history within living memory. Yes, this is a historical piece.

"The Tsuranga Conundrum" is in space, in the future, and involves problem solving much like "Oxygen" and "Under the Lake/Before the Flood" (none of which are Chibnall scripts). We've seen that sort of episode not only in NuWho but also OldWho.

"The Demons of the Punjab" - another historical set piece. But it's the one where I feel the alien presence is most superfluous, they could have done this as a story entirely without aliens.

So... really, the historical pieces are still a minority for this series, and only half if you count the Christmas special. Yet they seem to be grabbing peoples' attention (whether for positive or negative reasons). The Doctor does seem more passive in this regeneration than in past ones, certainly more so than Eleven or Twelve. Is that good or bad? Depends on the story, I think. That really is the key - Doctor Who allows for nearly any sort of story as long as it is well written. To my view, there has been a certain clunkiness to this season. I thought there was in Eccelston's tenure as well. Actually, it's come up at times for every version of the Doctor, but seems more of an issue this time.

We'll see how the rest of the series shakes out. The next three episodes are writers other than Chibnall, so maybe that will spark something. Or maybe not. I know Chibnall is capable of writing a compelling story, he's done so, but I'm not entirely sure how he's doing as showrunner.
Old 11-14-2018, 04:00 AM
Charter Member

The Doctor is passive in the historical episodes because they deal with "fixed moments in time" which in canon are those events, big or small, that have far too much future intricately interwoven into them to let them be interfered with. Time Lords are usually the protectors of those moments.
Old 11-14-2018, 04:08 PM
Charter Member

I really like how "Demons of the Punjab" was a bait and switch.
SPOILER:
It looks like it's about an extraterrestrial incursion, but it's really a historical in the end.

I think the show is doing a pretty good job of getting us to like the regular characters, which implies that the scripts are better than we may be giving the writers credit for. I do think it's nice to have a showrunner whose approach largely lacks the archness of Russell T Davies or Stephen Moffat. "Arachnids in the UK" and "The Tsuranga Conundrum" do try to get that kind of silly energy back, but I think this series so far has been a little more concerned with making the cast sympathetic and a lot less concerned with eliciting laughs and outrage.

Last edited by foolsguinea; 11-14-2018 at 04:09 PM.
Old 11-14-2018, 05:57 PM

I've been enjoying the season so far (just caught up on my DVR backlog).

Let's be honest, there have been episodes of varying quality in every season. My opinion is that there is more good than bad right now. And Chibnall and the new cast seem to be finding their footing more and more firmly as it goes, which makes me optimistic.

"Demons of the Punjab" was just flat-out great storytelling; easily the best of the young season. More like this, please.

The companion situation is a bit unclear to me, though. Is the Doctor dropping Yaz off at home to hang out with her family between each adventure? If so, is she still a cop? If not, has her family noticed? And what are Ryan and Graham doing at these times?

I know the Doctor mentioned in Episode 2 that they'd only been gone for half an hour. So is that the case each time now? Historically, though, the Doctor has been less than precise when it comes to this sort of thing; once you get on the TARDIS, you never know when or if you're going to make it home. Frankly, I prefer that dynamic - it makes for higher stakes on the companions' part.

Finally, I have to admit I'm crushing on Jodie Whittaker quite a bit. Which is fun because Mrs. Wheelz had a thing for David Tennant. Turnabout is fair play.
Old 11-14-2018, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheelz View Post
I know the Doctor mentioned in Episode 2 that they'd only been gone for half an hour. So is that the case each time now? Historically, though, the Doctor has been less than precise when it comes to this sort of thing; once you get on the TARDIS, you never know when or if you're going to make it home. Frankly, I prefer that dynamic - it makes for higher stakes on the companions' part.
I think it's pretty well established that the Tardis is pretty accurate when it wants to be. In the Trenzalore episode, it brought Clara to the right place/time at least twice, he jumped back accurately on Martha's first episode, and I think Clara would have been hard pressed to keep her teaching job if she wasn't returned to the right time.

Now when the Tardis is feeling her oats, one never knows where you'll end up - and I think the Doctor a lot of times (at least in the past) just kind of randomly set switches to see where he'd end up.
Old 11-14-2018, 09:38 PM

To add to that, a quote from the 11th's doctors episode "The Doctor's Wife." (written by Neil Gaiman BTW)

Quote:
Doctor: …besides, you were never very reliable. You never took me where I wanted to go!

TARDIS: No…but I always took you where you needed to be.

Last edited by rat avatar; 11-14-2018 at 09:38 PM.
Old 11-15-2018, 03:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foolsguinea View Post
SPOILER:
It looks like it's about an extraterrestrial incursion, but it's really a historical in the end.

I think the show is doing a pretty good job of getting us to like the regular characters, which implies that the scripts are better than we may be giving the writers credit for. I do think it's nice to have a showrunner whose approach largely lacks the archness of Russell T Davies or Stephen Moffat. "Arachnids in the UK" and "The Tsuranga Conundrum" do try to get that kind of silly energy back, but I think this series so far has been a little more concerned with making the cast sympathetic and a lot less concerned with eliciting laughs and outrage.
There have also been blessedly few attempts at "satire".
Old 11-15-2018, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAtoz View Post
It may just be Bradley Walsh's greater experience as an actor--he can sell a lot of things with just an expression, more so than his younger co-stars--but Graham is shaping up the be the strongest and best-characterized companion. He seems to treat the "Doc" almost as an equal, rather than standing in awe of her as most companions do. With three companions, the TARDIS is a bit crowded right now, and unfortunately some of them are getting short shrift.
Yes, Walsh is phenomenal - as mentioned elsewhere his previous Who-turn as Odd Bob in The Sarah Jane Adventures remains one of the few DW villains that genuinely creeped me out (along with the original Weeping Angels before they got ruined). Walsh is a master of quiet understatement and thus scores a lot more emotional punches than his younger counterparts.

I've still yet to warm up to Ryan who,despite being given lots of blatant emotional hooks (dyspraxic, found his mother dead at 13, absent father) still comes across as a bit flat and is only really engaging in his interaction with Graham. I haven't decided whether this is a writing or an acting problem but something isn't working well there.
Old 11-15-2018, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foolsguinea View Post
Yes, and I think the aliens were essential for this storytelling.

Old 11-15-2018, 09:08 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Walsh is a master of quiet understatement
Don't watch SunTrap then.
Old 11-15-2018, 10:37 AM

Quote:
"Demons of the Punjab" was just flat-out great storytelling; easily the best of the young season. More like this, please.
I thought it was a good way to personalize their adventure a bit in the context of the historical backstory.

Although warning Yaz about "butterfly effecting" her way out of existence was a bit out of nowhere. That's a thing now?

It's a consistent source of "timey wimey" hand-waving, but it seems kind of arbitrary whether or how the doctor decides to interfere in historical events when and where she/he lands. i.e. not stopping World War II, but preventing the Cybermen or Daleks from invading Earth. Like maybe that's what was supposed to happen.

Quote:
The companion situation is a bit unclear to me, though. Is the Doctor dropping Yaz off at home to hang out with her family between each adventure? If so, is she still a cop? If not, has her family noticed? And what are Ryan and Graham doing at these times?
Well...it's a time machine so from her families perspective Yaz just steps out for a few minutes and comes back looking tired and dirty and possibly covered with alien shit.

Yaz appears to be written to be a law enforcement officer to about the same extent as Amy Pond in her police costume.