Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 10-22-2018, 05:56 PM
Urbanredneck Urbanredneck is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 6,882
Is "Adam Ruins Everything" right?

There is an interesting show on Netflix called "Adam Ruins Everything". It was formerly on Trutv. I've only seen 2 episodes but he really proves his points well.

He tackles many important issues. For example on the one on restaurants he goes into things like how tipping is wrong and needs to be replaced, how restaurants fake or lie about the fish they serve, and proves how wine "experts" are merely guessing.

On the one on housing he makes the case that renting makes much more sense than buying.

Has anyone else seen the show? What do you think?
  #2  
Old 10-22-2018, 06:15 PM
RealityChuck's Avatar
RealityChuck RealityChuck is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Schenectady, NY, USA
Posts: 41,938
I've seen a couple. He has cites for all his assertions, so the facts are backed up.
__________________
"If a person saying he was something was all there was to it, this country'd be full of rich men and good-looking women. Too bad it isn't that easy.... In short, when someone else says you're a writer, that's when you're a writer... not before."
Purveyor of fine science fiction since 1982.
  #3  
Old 10-22-2018, 06:29 PM
Asimovian's Avatar
Asimovian Asimovian is offline
The Zeroeth Mod
Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Maryland
Posts: 11,629
Moderator Note

Thread relocated from IMHO to Cafe Society.
  #4  
Old 10-22-2018, 06:39 PM
RickJay RickJay is offline
Charter Jays Fan
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Oakville, Canada
Posts: 40,377
Absent a specific mathematical case, the "renting is better than buying" thing isn't even clear enough to be true or false.

His argument against paying a landlord rent is, for instance, "you're just paying a bank." Uh, well, sure. But how much am I paying them? Isn't that kind of an important point? How does that differ from rent in my market? (Note: Around here, a huge, huge amount.) What about tax implications, equity, etc.?
__________________
Providing useless posts since 1999!

Last edited by RickJay; 10-22-2018 at 06:45 PM.
  #5  
Old 10-22-2018, 06:49 PM
Derleth Derleth is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Missoula, Montana, USA
Posts: 20,891
Specific episodes are wrong about specific things. For example, as regards animal testing:
Quote:
Mai Thi Nguyen-Kim, a chemist and edutainer working for Germany's public broadcasting criticized a portion of the episode "Adam Ruins Science" about animal testing for making misleading claims about scientists and misquoting sources. According to Nguyen-Kim, contrary to the claims of the show, scientists are well aware of the limitations of laboratory mice as a model for the human organism. But despite their limitations, testing on laboratory mice has a positive cost-benefit ratio, since clinical trials would be orders of magnitudes more expensive.
(... the actual cite is to a German-language YouTube video.)

There's also a lot he gets wrong about the Cuban Missile Crisis which really points up the limitations in the format: He's trying to "ruin" stuff by pointing out flaws in the mainstream knowledge, which falls on its face when the mainstream knowledge isn't that far off and, hey, maybe there isn't a Massive Embarrassing Secret At The Bottom. Maybe Kennedy wasn't History's Greatest Monster. Maybe second-option bias isn't how real history is done.

Adam knows his audience wants a take-down, so he makes a strawman version of the Official Consensus and takes that sucker down. Aside from whatever factual errors the process contains, it's dishonest in spirit because that isn't what history is. It's a process of discovery, not a gladiatorial combat. That goes for the rest of science, too.
__________________
"Ridicule is the only weapon that can be used against unintelligible propositions. Ideas must be distinct before reason can act upon them."
If you don't stop to analyze the snot spray, you are missing that which is best in life. - Miller
I'm not sure why this is, but I actually find this idea grosser than cannibalism. - Excalibre, after reading one of my surefire million-seller business plans.
  #6  
Old 10-22-2018, 07:41 PM
Smapti Smapti is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Olympia, WA
Posts: 15,503
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derleth View Post
Maybe Kennedy wasn't History's Greatest Monster.
That honor, of course, goes to Jimmy Carter.
  #7  
Old 10-22-2018, 08:01 PM
Gatopescado's Avatar
Gatopescado Gatopescado is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: on your last raw nerve
Posts: 20,971
I figure if you randomly fact-checked half the stuff, you would probably find some wrong shit, but it's not PBS, so I just take it as superficial entertainment. I think his shows are kinda amusing, and one of the very few I watched. It was always fun to watch the growing frustration and irritation of his "mark" as the episode progressed. I noticed the later shows used animation, and I figure that cost a fraction of the earlier, highly produced ones.

He is completely wrong, in my opinion, about rent. Rent is for suckers. (Yes, I know. Not everyone can buy, but if you can, I think you should.)
  #8  
Old 10-22-2018, 09:35 PM
Jonathan Chance Jonathan Chance is offline
Domo Arigato Mister Moderato
Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: On the run with Kilroy
Posts: 22,057
https://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb...splay.php?f=13

No, from an economics perspective he has at least part of a point. American economics requires mobility in the workforce. We have 50 states competing for employers and displacement is part of that process. People who rent have a greater capability of relocating for better jobs than those who own and can take advantage of offers that others may not be able to.
  #9  
Old 10-22-2018, 10:47 PM
CelticKnot CelticKnot is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: BackHome again in Indiana
Posts: 821
There are lies, damn lies, and statistics. Anyone can (and many do) select statistics to prove their point. Adam Conover is no different.

He's also not funny. The show may be produced by College Humor, but I think the show should be called Adam Ruins Humor.
  #10  
Old 10-22-2018, 10:52 PM
Exapno Mapcase Exapno Mapcase is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: NY but not NYC
Posts: 30,711
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Chance View Post
That link doesn't go where you thought it did.

I liked the first season even though I realized it was superficial cherrypicking of data. Getting information out that wasn't conventional wisdom was all to the good.

I liked the second season less and the third season was unwatchable. I don't know if he changed or I did. IMO, the show morphed into something barely different from fake news. It tells people not to believe what the mainstream media say but to believe his alternate reality. Maybe his facts are good and maybe not but they're presented with the depth of thought of a tenth grade book report and are totally one-sided on issues that are deep and complex. And he never gives a hint of how we should get from today's world to the better world he advocates. Rise up and click likes, I suppose.

For all the crap that lands on the Dope, we do a thousand times better on these questions and issues. We have the luxury of multiple minds and infinite space and time, of course, but if we did a thread on it (the one I assume JC meant to link to) we'd discuss the various pros and cons of renting vs. buying and who benefits from each when in a way that would destroy the notion that one single answer exists.
  #11  
Old 10-22-2018, 11:41 PM
BigT's Avatar
BigT BigT is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: "Hicksville", Ark.
Posts: 35,509
I never watched the TV show, but I know some of the original YouTube segments had some faults, usually due to his bias towards a takedown. Basically, he has the same veracity as Cracked articles did.
  #12  
Old 10-23-2018, 12:47 AM
Asuka Asuka is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 967
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT View Post
I never watched the TV show, but I know some of the original YouTube segments had some faults, usually due to his bias towards a takedown. Basically, he has the same veracity as Cracked articles did.
I'd say that's an insult towards Adam because Cracked has some of the worst fact checking I've ever seen. At least Adam kind of is accurate as opposed to literally making stuff up for certain Cracked articles.
  #13  
Old 10-23-2018, 12:57 AM
Two Many Cats Two Many Cats is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Chicago
Posts: 4,161
I caught an error that I posted a thread about, but the thread died without a single response.

Adam claimed the Hays Code for movies prohibited showing white people as slaves but permitted showing black people as slaves. Oh my, how racist, right?

Actually, white slavery was the old term for sex trafficking. The Hays Code prohibited movies from making salacious stories about prostitution.

Just a moment's thought would've shown this. How on earth would've all those sword and sandals movies from the Fifties been made if white people as slaves couldn't be shown? Ben-Hur for instance. Cripes, for a supposedly smarter than anyone show, that was a real obvious screw-up.
  #14  
Old 10-23-2018, 01:38 AM
Asuka Asuka is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 967
Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Many Cats View Post
I caught an error that I posted a thread about, but the thread died without a single response.

Adam claimed the Hays Code for movies prohibited showing white people as slaves but permitted showing black people as slaves. Oh my, how racist, right?

Actually, white slavery was the old term for sex trafficking. The Hays Code prohibited movies from making salacious stories about prostitution.

Just a moment's thought would've shown this. How on earth would've all those sword and sandals movies from the Fifties been made if white people as slaves couldn't be shown? Ben-Hur for instance. Cripes, for a supposedly smarter than anyone show, that was a real obvious screw-up.
There was an episode of "How Stuff Works" about the MPAA that claimed that no movie has ever been rated X for violence only for explicit sex. Except Evil Dead was rated X precisely for it's gorey violence, and many films such as RoboCop were threatened with the X rating for their sheer violence and had to recut themselves to accommodate an R.

People love to think up their position before actually looking at the facts.
  #15  
Old 10-23-2018, 01:48 AM
Ellis Dee Ellis Dee is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: New England
Posts: 13,786
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asuka View Post
There was an episode of "How Stuff Works" about the MPAA that claimed that no movie has ever been rated X for violence only for explicit sex. Except Evil Dead was rated X precisely for it's gorey violence, and many films such as RoboCop were threatened with the X rating for their sheer violence and had to recut themselves to accommodate an R.
I'm skeptical in the extreme that Evil Dead was rated X for violence. I'd bet money it was because of the violent, graphic tree rape.
  #16  
Old 10-23-2018, 02:34 AM
Nava Nava is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Hey! I'm located! WOOOOW!
Posts: 40,175
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickJay View Post
Absent a specific mathematical case, the "renting is better than buying" thing isn't even clear enough to be true or false.

His argument against paying a landlord rent is, for instance, "you're just paying a bank." Uh, well, sure. But how much am I paying them? Isn't that kind of an important point? How does that differ from rent in my market? (Note: Around here, a huge, huge amount.) What about tax implications, equity, etc.?
If you're going to be in that house a short time, renting makes more sense. If you're going to be there as long as my parents, my grandparents, my aunts and uncles... have been in the houses they bought, it can make sense to buy. It also depends on whether you have a decent landlord or not: I've had landlords who were a pleasure to rent from but also many who didn't understand that renting doesn't equal "getting paid for sitting on your butt while the houses you've rented break down".

And some people buy - to rent.

That said, if he gets people to understand that a starter house is in the short-term side and therefore it makes sense to rent, kudos to him.
__________________
Evidence gathered through the use of science is easily dismissed through the use of idiocy. - Czarcasm.

Last edited by Nava; 10-23-2018 at 02:36 AM.
  #17  
Old 10-23-2018, 11:53 AM
DrCube DrCube is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Caseyville, IL
Posts: 7,130
Here's a "Defense of Columbus" video that takes Adam to task for his cartoonish "Columbus was evil" video. You be the judge.

That said, I haven't watched much of "Adam Ruins Everything" so I can't speak to the rest of his content.
  #18  
Old 10-23-2018, 12:02 PM
Jophiel's Avatar
Jophiel Jophiel is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: Chicago suburbia
Posts: 18,666
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealityChuck View Post
I've seen a couple. He has cites for all his assertions, so the facts are backed up.
Mind you, you can selectively cite things and create fallacious or disingenuous arguments out of legitimate facts. Add in strawman arguments and inflating the importance of select material and just having cites might not mean as much as you'd think.

I've mainly watched bits of the show that wind up getting shared on Facebook and agree that some of it is good and some seems to be aimed at "we need a total take-down to make this video worth it" over being completely accurate. Maybe not as bad as Cracked but certainly worth taking with a grain of salt and realization that you're watching a product designed for entertainment first and education a distant second, if that.

Last edited by Jophiel; 10-23-2018 at 12:03 PM.
  #19  
Old 10-23-2018, 01:18 PM
x-ray vision's Avatar
x-ray vision x-ray vision is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: N.J.
Posts: 5,888
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrCube View Post
Here's a "Defense of Columbus" video that takes Adam to task for his cartoonish "Columbus was evil" video. You be the judge.
At 1:37 he shows a clip from the show where Adam says Columbus couldn't have discovered the Earth was round because in his time it was already common knowledge. He then says "the way Adam phrases this makes it seem like Columbus thought he was the first person to conclude the Earth was round."

It didn't at all seem like Adam was making a point regarding what Columbus thought, just that Adam was correcting a common misconception.

The next mistake he claims Adam made is that Columbus thought the Earth was pear shaped. However:

Quote:
I found it (the world) was not round . . . but pear shaped, round where it has a nipple, for there it is taller, or as if one had a round ball and, on one side, it should be like a woman’s breast, and this nipple part is the highest and closest to Heaven.

–Christopher Columbus, Log of his third voyage (1498)
https://dontknowmuch.com/2018/10/the...-columbus-day/

I stopped there.
  #20  
Old 10-23-2018, 06:08 PM
glowacks glowacks is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 2,021
More intended to entertain than to enlighten. Doesn't present nuanced facts about anything, just says what we all know is wrong and theoretically has a cite that no one bothers to check. Just as likely to create misinformation than cure ignorance.
  #21  
Old 10-23-2018, 06:24 PM
x-ray vision's Avatar
x-ray vision x-ray vision is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: N.J.
Posts: 5,888
Quote:
Originally Posted by glowacks View Post
Doesn't present nuanced facts about anything, just says what we all know is wrong
His facts actually do contain nuance and goes further than just saying what we know is wrong.

Quote:
and theoretically has a cite that no one bothers to check.
"Theoretically" has a cite? What does that mean?

Quote:
Just as likely to create misinformation than cure ignorance.
Anything is equally likely to do that...until one fact checks. Finding out which his claims do is the point of this thread.
  #22  
Old 10-23-2018, 06:30 PM
Jophiel's Avatar
Jophiel Jophiel is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: Chicago suburbia
Posts: 18,666
Quote:
Originally Posted by x-ray vision View Post
The next mistake he claims Adam made is that Columbus thought the Earth was pear shaped. However:

https://dontknowmuch.com/2018/10/the...-columbus-day/

I stopped there.
You stopped right before he went into the explanation of why that line doesn't really mean what it says at face value? That's sort of the textbook example of why "He had a cite" isn't the end all of being correct.

Last edited by Jophiel; 10-23-2018 at 06:31 PM.
  #23  
Old 10-23-2018, 06:42 PM
DavidwithanR DavidwithanR is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 3,996
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nava View Post
If you're going to be in that house a short time, renting makes more sense. If you're going to be there as long as my parents, my grandparents, my aunts and uncles... have been in the houses they bought, it can make sense to buy.
I think it's a bit of a "chicken and egg" problem: Do people buy a house because they already know they're staying, or do they know they're staying because they've already bought a house?
  #24  
Old 10-23-2018, 06:57 PM
DavidwithanR DavidwithanR is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 3,996
Quote:
Originally Posted by x-ray vision View Post
"Theoretically" has a cite? What does that mean?
I think "theoretical" citing does exist and is a very big deal.

In short, a great deal of what people hear and read on a daily basis is cosmetically altered to look citation-like. Many many writers and speakers give pseudo-citations and hope nobody is checking. THAT'S "theoretical" citing, IMO. Verbal Photoshopping.

ETA: The writers and speakers continue this practice because they have discovered that indeed hardly anyone bothers to check their facts.

Last edited by DavidwithanR; 10-23-2018 at 06:59 PM.
  #25  
Old 10-23-2018, 07:05 PM
x-ray vision's Avatar
x-ray vision x-ray vision is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: N.J.
Posts: 5,888
Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Many Cats View Post
Adam claimed the Hays Code for movies prohibited showing white people as slaves but permitted showing black people as slaves.
No, he didn't. I just watched that portion of the episode. There was an actor playing a cartoonish version of William Hayes saying "No need to censor us. The movie industry shall censor ourselves. The following perversions are hereby banned in Hollywood. Interracial dating- bad. Making fun of clergy- bad. White slavery- bad. Black slavery is a-okay, though."

I suppose one can argue that mentioning black slavery after white slavery hints that they're the same except for skin color, but he doesn't claim "the Hays Code for movies prohibited showing white people as slaves."
  #26  
Old 10-23-2018, 07:07 PM
x-ray vision's Avatar
x-ray vision x-ray vision is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: N.J.
Posts: 5,888
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jophiel View Post
You stopped right before he went into the explanation of why that line doesn't really mean what it says at face value?
No, I stopped watching after his explanation, as the rest of the video doesn't have anything else regarding "Adam Ruins Everything."

His explanation for "why that line doesn't really mean what it says at face value" is:

No, he didn't think the Earth was shaped like a pear with a nipple on top. In fact I had never even heard this claim before but luckily Adam gives us his source, who actually never says that Columbus said the Earth was shaped like a pear."

Actually, "Adam" never gives us his source. There are sources for claims Adam makes on truTV's website, and the one given for that claim is an article which says:

"Putting all this together, Columbus reasoned that the world was shaped like a ball with a breastlike protuberance.

and doesn't specifically mention being pear shaped, but that either means there are other sources and Adam isn't wrong or Adam is claiming being ball shaped with a breastlike protuberance is synonymous with being pear shaped (which isn't really that much of a stretch). But I already showed that there is a good cite for Columbus making the pear shaped statement, so I don't get your issue.
  #27  
Old 10-23-2018, 07:13 PM
Jophiel's Avatar
Jophiel Jophiel is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: Chicago suburbia
Posts: 18,666
Quote:
Originally Posted by x-ray vision View Post
But I already showed that there is a good cite for Columbus making the pear shaped statement, so I don't get your issue.
The show doesn't mention that there is one singular reference, attempt to look at the context of the statement and explicitly shows Columbus making that claim to the monarchy (for which there is zero evidence).

The rest of it does go back to the Adam Ruins Everything episode, such as Columbus meeting the tribes and "discovery" of America.

Last edited by Jophiel; 10-23-2018 at 07:13 PM.
  #28  
Old 10-23-2018, 07:13 PM
x-ray vision's Avatar
x-ray vision x-ray vision is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: N.J.
Posts: 5,888
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidwithanR View Post
THAT'S "theoretical" citing, IMO. Verbal Photoshopping.
It's a phrase that doesn't exist and based on glowacks use, I'm not convinced he/she is using the phrase as you are.
  #29  
Old 10-23-2018, 07:26 PM
x-ray vision's Avatar
x-ray vision x-ray vision is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: N.J.
Posts: 5,888
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jophiel View Post
The show doesn't mention that there is one singular reference, attempt to look at the context of the statement and explicitly shows Columbus making that claim to the monarchy (for which there is zero evidence).
I included the source of the quote, which included the year. It was 1498. I'm confused as to what you're saying there is zero evidence for.

Quote:
The rest of it does go back to the Adam Ruins Everything episode, such as Columbus meeting the tribes and "discovery" of America.
Right, at about 22:17 where the presenter says "do you even remember who the President was 42 years ago" and a pop-up gives us what is supposed to be the correct answer...Lyndon B. Johnson. Interesting.
  #30  
Old 10-23-2018, 08:07 PM
x-ray vision's Avatar
x-ray vision x-ray vision is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: N.J.
Posts: 5,888
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jophiel View Post
The show doesn't mention that there is one singular reference, attempt to look at the context of the statement and explicitly shows Columbus making that claim to the monarchy (for which there is zero evidence).
I see what you're saying now. I'm not trying to make excuses for the show or Adam, but the cartoon of him asking for money while claiming the Earth is pear shaped, seems to be something the cartoonist came up with and that part isn't supposed to be a history lesson regarding when and to whom Columbus actually made the pear-shaped claim to.

Last edited by x-ray vision; 10-23-2018 at 08:08 PM.
  #31  
Old 10-23-2018, 09:01 PM
Loach's Avatar
Loach Loach is online now
The Central Scrutinizer
Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Pork Roll/Taylor Ham
Posts: 24,651
I find he is usually right but there are a lot of "yes but" questions and omissions.

I think the clip about hydration is pretty typical.

He's right about a lot. On a typical day for a typical person you don't have to worry about hydrating. Your body will tell you when to drink. Drinking 8 glasses of water a day has no science backing it up to say its healthy or beneficial. Forced hydration is not necessary for most. Beverage companies do try to sell their products with junk science and scare tactics. He brings up over hydration as an issue even though its extremely rare. He says that people dying of actual dehydration is extremely rare. Sure.

What is glaringly left out are heat related injuries: heat cramps, heat exhaustion and heat stroke. Young athletes have died from heat stroke and the clip is set at a football practice. The main way to prevent these heat injuries is to remain hydrated. If you wait until you are thirsty its way too late. As a soldier and in civilian life I have see multiple people suffering from heat injuries. Thankfully no one died in front of me but its very scary to see someone flopping on the ground uncontrollably. Or to see someone entering heat stroke who can't sweat any more and they start to hallucinate. Its a lot more common than over hydration and deaths from heat stroke are also much more common. Adam and his expert left that out. No its not going to happen under most normal circumstance to most normal people but neither is Hyponatremia or dehydration but those they mention because it fits the narrative of the take down.

Last edited by Loach; 10-23-2018 at 09:02 PM.
  #32  
Old 10-23-2018, 09:29 PM
Jophiel's Avatar
Jophiel Jophiel is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: Chicago suburbia
Posts: 18,666
Quote:
Originally Posted by x-ray vision View Post
...that part isn't supposed to be a history lesson regarding when and to whom Columbus actually made the pear-shaped claim to.
Right. The show is entertainment, not really education. But someone watching it and assuming that the show is a credible source would walk away believing that Columbus made the "pear" claim to the crown. In fact, Columbus wrote that passage during his third voyage but the cartoon happily has Columbus stating it in his initial funding pitch.

The argument isn't "Columbus never compared the earth to a pear", it's that he made a singular reference to it which very probably wasn't meant to be taken literally and absolutely didn't happen as the cartoon depicts. But, hey, it's all just in fun I'm sure and not at all because they want to make sure the audience is saying "Haha, what a silly-head!"
Quote:
Right, at about 22:17 where the presenter says "do you even remember who the President was 42 years ago" and a pop-up gives us what is supposed to be the correct answer...Lyndon B. Johnson. Interesting.
The very first comment is a pinned note from the creator saying that it was a mistake. How dare he make an error and pin a correction right at the top. How very interesting!
  #33  
Old 10-23-2018, 10:13 PM
x-ray vision's Avatar
x-ray vision x-ray vision is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: N.J.
Posts: 5,888
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loach View Post
What is glaringly left out are heat related injuries: heat cramps, heat exhaustion and heat stroke. Young athletes have died from heat stroke and the clip is set at a football practice. The main way to prevent these heat injuries is to remain hydrated.
The clip is set at football practice, but it starts with the water person saying, "oh my God. we've been out here for 15 minutes, we need to be hydrated! Everyone drink up!"

The myths he's busting, along with a professor of exercise science, are regarding the importance given to hydration when one is not thirsty. He doesn't claim that hydration isn't important.

Regarding hydration being the main way to prevent heat cramps:

Quote:
Results:
Dehydration/electrolyte and neuromuscular causes are the most widely discussed theories for the cause of EAMC; however, strong experimental evidence for either theory is lacking.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3445088/

Quote:
CONCLUSIONS:
Three percent hypohydration does not affect threshold frequency of electrically induced cramps.

...

Mild hypohydration with minimal neuromuscular fatigue does not seem to predispose individuals to cramping. Thus, cramps may be more associated with neuromuscular fatigue than dehydration/electrolyte losses. Health care professionals may have more success preventing exercise-associated muscle cramp by focusing on strategies that minimize neuromuscular fatigue rather than dehydration.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20351595

Quote:
CONCLUSIONS:
Significant and serious hypohydration with moderate electrolyte losses does not alter cramp susceptibility when fatigue and exercise intensity are controlled. Neuromuscular control may be more important in the onset of muscle cramps than dehydration or electrolyte losses.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23222192







Quote:
Originally Posted by Loach View Post
If you wait until you are thirsty its way too late.
Nope, that's one of the myths busted. It's one of the main points! Cites:

Quote:
The results indicate that during free access to water humans become thirsty and drink before body fluid deficits develop, perhaps in response to subtle oropharyngeal cues, and so provide evidence for anticipatory thirst and drinking in man.
https://www.sciencedirect.com/scienc...31938484901549


Quote:
Myth: If you're thirsty, you're already dehydrated.
Fact:
It's not too late. In fact, thirst is the body's way of telling you to drink water, and you're not at risk of becoming dangerously dehydrated the minute you feel a little parched. "When you get thirsty, the deficit of water in your body is trivial -- it's a very sensitive gauge," Dr. Stanley Goldfarb, professor of medicine [and nephrologist] at the University of Pennsylvania, told HuffPost in January. "It might be only a 1 percent reduction in your overall water. And it just requires drinking some fluid."
https://www.huffpost.com/entry/dehyd...yths_n_3498380


Even for athletes:


Quote:
Loyola University Medical Center sports medicine physician James Winger, MD. Simply put, drink only when you’re thirsty,

...

Athletes often are mistakenly advised to “push fluids” or drink more than their thirst dictates by, for example, drinking until their urine is clear or drinking to a prescribed schedule. But excessive fluid intake does not prevent fatigue, muscle cramps or heat stroke.

“Muscle cramps have nothing to do with dehydration,” Dr. Winger said. “And you don’t get heat stroke because you’re dehydrated. You get heat stroke because you’re producing too much heat.”

Modest to moderate levels of dehydration are tolerable and pose little risk to otherwise healthy athletes. An athlete can safely lose up to 3 percent of his or her body weight during a competition due to dehydration, Dr. Winger said.
https://ssom.luc.edu/news/stories/at...uidelines.html
  #34  
Old 10-23-2018, 10:43 PM
Loach's Avatar
Loach Loach is online now
The Central Scrutinizer
Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Pork Roll/Taylor Ham
Posts: 24,651
Quote:
Originally Posted by x-ray vision View Post
The clip is set at football practice, but it starts with the water person saying, "oh my God. we've been out here for 15 minutes, we need to be hydrated! Everyone drink up!"

The myths he's busting, along with a professor of exercise science, are regarding the importance given to hydration when one is not thirsty. He doesn't claim that hydration isn't important.

Regarding hydration being the main way to prevent heat cramps:


https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3445088/


https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20351595


https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23222192









Nope, that's one of the myths busted. It's one of the main points! Cites:


https://www.sciencedirect.com/scienc...31938484901549



https://www.huffpost.com/entry/dehyd...yths_n_3498380


Even for athletes:



https://ssom.luc.edu/news/stories/at...uidelines.html

You are confusing regular muscle cramps with heat cramps. Another issue he glosses over. Hydration will do nothing for Exercise Associated Muscle Cramps. Heat cramps are caused by excessive heat and lack of water and minerals. Its often the first step to heat exhaustion or stroke but it doesn't have to go in order.

Under normal circumstances you can wait until you feel thirsty before you drink. Hump a ruck in 100 plus weather in Iraq and get back to me. Most people will know to slow down and rest and get out of the heat. When you can't because you are on a mission you better be drinking. Once you become a heat casualty its too late and off you go with an IV in to the hospital.

Adam (or his staff) is right about hydration for the vast majority of people. Most people don't have to even think about hydration. They automatically drink what their body needs. He conveniently leaves out heat casualties.

https://www.cdc.gov/niosh/topics/hea...s/default.html


From one of you cites : "In recent years, at least 14 deaths of marathon runners, football players and other athletes have been attributed to exercise-associated hyponatremia, a condition that results from drinking too much water or sports drinks." That's the same point Adam brought up. And no doubt some athletes take hydration to extremes.

The CDC says an average of around 600 people per year die from heat related injuries. One of the main ways to prevent being a heat casualty is to be properly hydrated.


You can't argue with the fact that he doesn't even mention heat cramps, heat exhaustion or heat stroke. That's because he would have to admit that hydration plays an important role in preventing possible deadly medical conditions.

Last edited by Loach; 10-23-2018 at 10:47 PM.
  #35  
Old 10-23-2018, 11:37 PM
x-ray vision's Avatar
x-ray vision x-ray vision is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: N.J.
Posts: 5,888
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loach View Post
You are confusing regular muscle cramps with heat cramps.
What is the proper medical terminology for "heat cramps"? My first link was to a paper titled "Exercise-Associated Muscle Cramps [EAMC]."

Another cite for you:

Quote:
Heat cramps” - a misnomer

Case reports and anecdotal observations often related the development of cramping to physical activity per-formed in hot and humid conditions, and this has led to the use of ‘‘heat cramps’’ or ‘‘exertional heat cramps’’. These terms are often used synonymously with EAMC [15,42,44,50]. More substantive data to support the use of this terminology came from a study in which the term “heat cramps” was reported to be more common when American Football players trained in an environment where the heat index was ‘‘high’’ or ‘‘extreme’’ com-pared with “low” or “moderate” [21]. It must be noted that these hot and humid weather conditions occurred during the rst 2-3 weeks of training in a season when players were also most likely less well-conditioned and/or acclimatized to the heat. EAMC is known to also occur in individuals exercising in moderate to cool tempera-tures [13,49] and exposure to extreme cold also has been associated with EAMC in swimmers [51]. In addition, it has been found that the development of EAMC does not correlate with an increased core temperature [13]. Clearly, heat alone is not a direct cause of muscle cramping during exercise. As such, the term ‘‘heat cramps’’ is inaccurate and its use should be discouraged.
https://www.researchgate.net/publica...nt_Perspective

From the same paper:

Quote:
Conclusion

EAMC are a common condition experienced by recreational and competitive athletes. As such, it is imperative for clinicians to identify underlying causes and effective strategies for treating and preventing the condition. Despite the high prevalence of EAMC, few experimental data exist on their cause, treatment, and prevention to date. EAMC has long been explained by the electrolyte imbalance-and-dehydration theory. However, its sup-porting evidence comes mainly from anecdotal observations and case reports. In addition, the theory does not offer plausible pathophysiological mechanisms, and it has been reported that EAMC can occur without electrolyte depletion or dehydration. More recent evidence suggests that EAMC may be mediated by muscle fatigue that altered neuromuscular control.

Quote:
Under normal circumstances you can wait until you feel thirsty before you drink.
Yet, that's not what you claimed.

Quote:
Hump a ruck in 100 plus weather in Iraq and get back to me. Most people will know to slow down and rest and get out of the heat. When you can't because you are on a mission you better be drinking. Once you become a heat casualty its too late and off you go with an IV in to the hospital.
Oh, please. I've served, but it's not a cite for anything. I provided cites, including one for athletes, and that covers what we've been discussing.

Quote:
Adam (or his staff) is right about hydration for the vast majority of people. Most people don't have to even think about hydration. They automatically drink what their body needs. He conveniently leaves out heat casualties.
What's convenient about it? He's busting myths that people like you still believe. Kids were being told they had to hydrate after 15 minutes of the start of football practice with a fear-mongering tone. There was no need to bring up heat casualties.


Quote:
The CDC says an average of around 600 people per year die from heat related injuries. One of the main ways to prevent being a heat casualty is to be properly hydrated.
That depends on the heat casualty. I provided a cite already.
  #36  
Old 10-24-2018, 06:18 AM
Two Many Cats Two Many Cats is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Chicago
Posts: 4,161
Quote:
Originally Posted by x-ray vision View Post
No, he didn't. I just watched that portion of the episode. There was an actor playing a cartoonish version of William Hayes saying "No need to censor us. The movie industry shall censor ourselves. The following perversions are hereby banned in Hollywood. Interracial dating- bad. Making fun of clergy- bad. White slavery- bad. Black slavery is a-okay, though."

I suppose one can argue that mentioning black slavery after white slavery hints that they're the same except for skin color, but he doesn't claim "the Hays Code for movies prohibited showing white people as slaves."
They showed a picture of a burly Amish looking farmer in chains when they said "White slavery - bad". I could only conclude that they thought that what was meant by white slavery.

If they distorted the meaning of 'white slavery' to make a cheap joke about racism while knowing what the term 'white slavery' actually meant, then they have no business making claims to be an educational show.

Last edited by Two Many Cats; 10-24-2018 at 06:19 AM.
  #37  
Old 10-24-2018, 09:41 AM
RickJay RickJay is offline
Charter Jays Fan
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Oakville, Canada
Posts: 40,377
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Chance View Post
People who rent have a greater capability of relocating for better jobs than those who own and can take advantage of offers that others may not be able to.
That is absolutely true - but that doesn't even scratch the surface of the utility function for the renter or homebuyer.

The person making the rent/buying option is making a decision relative to their situation, and the relative utilities of renting and buying will be correlated to the need for mobility. Of course when I was 25, and likelier to change jobs, I rented; at 46, where my career is stable and selling/buying a home isn't really a huge barrier to moving, I buy. The relative difficulty of selling/buying just isn't significant to me now, and so buying is simply a higher utility move. I've done the math and even there it's just not a close call at all, but there's more to it than that.

If the guy is making the argument that buying a house is bad, then at the risk of pointing out the obvious, one must explain why so many people buy houses. It's not that people can't be irrational or misinformed; they can, and we often put into place structures to save people from the peccadilloes of economic behaviour (pension plans and retirement saving plans, for instance, are structured to force behaviour we would otherwise be terrible at.) But in the case of people buying houses, it has almost NONE of the hallmarks of poor economic choices; it's not small scale, not based on irrational risk avoidance, and not a short term decision that defeats long term benefit. It's kind of on Adam to explain why he thinks he's right and everyone else is wrong, rather than just making general, sweeping claims that he is right and everyone else is wrong.

It strikes me as obvious that there will be particular cases where renting makes sense and buying does not, and in those case what happens is that people almost always rent, rather than buying. So his point is really kind of nonsensical.
__________________
Providing useless posts since 1999!

Last edited by RickJay; 10-24-2018 at 09:45 AM.
  #38  
Old 10-24-2018, 10:54 AM
Jophiel's Avatar
Jophiel Jophiel is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: Chicago suburbia
Posts: 18,666
I was curious so I looked up the fuller context of the "Earth is a pear" Columbus bit. In a nutshell, Columbus understood well that the prevailing science was that the earth was a sphere and that this had been known since at least Ptolemy. However, when sailing from Sierra Leone to Trinidad, Columbus noted that the people went from very dark in complexion to lighter brown and that the weather changed from sweltering to fairly mild. Columbus posited that while most of the earth was a sphere, far enough to the west it contracted to help explain why a voyage due west brought such notable changes in people and climate. He also thinks that a "pear shaped" earth would explain both why the observations of Ptolemy could be accurate and still not predict the differences Columbus saw while sailing west.

Obviously Columbus was wrong in his guess and there's far more complicated reasons for why the weather patterns would be different or why people evolved differently. But Columbus based this theory on his collected travels to the Americas and didn't discount the spherical earth but rather simply thought it incomplete. He saw that the area of Trinidad was more like Valencia (east of Philadelphia) than like Sierra Leon and developed a theory as to why that would be.

None of this comes through the Adam Ruins Everything episode (or really any time I see the 'pear' thing brought up) but rather shows Columbus thinking this before he even sets out on his journey and using it as part of his appeal to the crown and certainly gives no thought as to WHY Columbus would develop this notion. Maybe they did this because they didn't actually bother to research it. Maybe they just thought "LOL this is funny and we can say nipple!" trumped accuracy in a show that's supposedly about telling the real story. No matter how you look at it, it was --at best -- misleading. But they have "a cite" (see, it says here he thought it was a pear!) so we're supposed to accept it as accurate despite the argument using that cite being completely disingenuous.

Last edited by Jophiel; 10-24-2018 at 10:59 AM.
  #39  
Old 10-24-2018, 02:27 PM
sps49sd sps49sd is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanredneck View Post
There is an interesting show on Netflix called "Adam Ruins Everything"...

On the one on housing he makes the case that renting makes much more sense than buying.

Has anyone else seen the show? What do you think?
It's entertaining, and he does cite often, but his 'ruining' is often overstated, there are lesser errors (he has admitted several; nobody's perfect), and he doesn't always present conventional wisdom/ thinking in a balanced way (buying my house was the best financial move I ever made, for one). But it definitely will wake you up and hopefully have you reconsider.
  #40  
Old 10-24-2018, 03:42 PM
Saint Cad Saint Cad is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: N of Denver & S of Sanity
Posts: 12,954
An important point about renting vs buying that I never see discussed: Retirement.
When you retire can you afford house payments or rent and still live comfortably? I'm not saying you have to have your house paid off on your 65th birthday but you should have enough equity in you house so you can buy a house you can retire in full.
__________________
If all else fails, try S.C.E. to Aux.
  #41  
Old 10-24-2018, 04:27 PM
bump bump is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 16,448
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickJay View Post
It strikes me as obvious that there will be particular cases where renting makes sense and buying does not, and in those case what happens is that people almost always rent, rather than buying. So his point is really kind of nonsensical.

That's pretty much what I thought too- the answer really is "it depends". In a sense, it's the difference between consuming a service vs. owning the equipment to perform that action. When you're renting, you're just availing yourself of a service provided by a vendor, while when you buy, you actually gain an asset, as well as greater responsibilities. There are advantages and disadvantages to both.
  #42  
Old 10-24-2018, 06:52 PM
DavidwithanR DavidwithanR is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 3,996
Quote:
Originally Posted by bump View Post
There are advantages and disadvantages to both.
Advantages and disadvantages to paying in each particular way, AND advantages and disadvantages to acting in the ways that those payment methods encourage. Acting as if you own or don't own something, etc.
  #43  
Old 10-29-2018, 09:05 PM
Doubticus Doubticus is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: South-West
Posts: 404
I've enjoyed the show, but I have seen him ditch nuance to make a point. For instance, his points about electric cars and the environment were true enough, i.e. manufacturing new electric cars and charging new cars consumes energy and that energy comes from coal fire plants that are bad for the environment. What he didn't talk about was that it really depends on where you charge your car. In the northeast, the grid is supported by a lot of hydropower and that makes a difference, if you charge with natural gas (like the majority of the US), you are polluting at half the rate of gasoline. Even in cases where you might charge 100% with coal, you are polluting at same rate as gasoline.
  #44  
Old 10-29-2018, 09:12 PM
Isamu Isamu is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Osaka
Posts: 5,928
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doubticus View Post
I've enjoyed the show, but I have seen him ditch nuance to make a point. For instance, his points about electric cars and the environment were true enough, i.e. manufacturing new electric cars and charging new cars consumes energy and that energy comes from coal fire plants that are bad for the environment. What he didn't talk about was that it really depends on where you charge your car. In the northeast, the grid is supported by a lot of hydropower and that makes a difference, if you charge with natural gas (like the majority of the US), you are polluting at half the rate of gasoline. Even in cases where you might charge 100% with coal, you are polluting at same rate as gasoline.
Plus battery waste (disposal or recycling) is quite toxic. Doing it 'cleanly' takes even more energy.
  #45  
Old 10-30-2018, 08:27 AM
Broomstick's Avatar
Broomstick Broomstick is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: NW Indiana
Posts: 27,450
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickJay View Post
Absent a specific mathematical case, the "renting is better than buying" thing isn't even clear enough to be true or false.

His argument against paying a landlord rent is, for instance, "you're just paying a bank." Uh, well, sure. But how much am I paying them? Isn't that kind of an important point? How does that differ from rent in my market? (Note: Around here, a huge, huge amount.) What about tax implications, equity, etc.?
There are other factors, too -

I recently lost my home of 20 years because of a problem with the building, the utilities, and the county. As a renter, when the lights/heat/water stopped I could simply leave (AND have the pro-rated portion of rent for the remainder of the month with no utilities) since that broke the lease agreement and get a new place. Which I did. And yes, there was a couple hundred in costs (professional movers for the heavy stuff, for example, and a few other bits and pieces) but my problem is solved. My former landlord is stuck with the building, now without tenants, but still with taxes and costs associated with it. At best, if he wanted to dump the property, it would be months before he could do so but would still be saddled with costs for all of that time.

In that particular case the renter came off better. But admittedly it's a rare exception that I wouldn't wish on anyone.

On the other hand, I don't have equity in real estate. Which can be a very handy thing to have under some circumstances.

Owning isn't always better. Even when owning is better, there are still differences between, say, a single-family home or a condo that can be better depending on the person - I have several elderly friends would simply could not keep up with the maintenance on a house but do fine in a condo. That works for them. There are also the people who buy more house than they can afford for various reasons - if they get his with foreclosure that could put them in a worse situation than if they had rented those years, or made some other investment while living in a smaller home.
  #46  
Old 01-08-2019, 07:09 PM
dropzone's Avatar
dropzone dropzone is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Cloud Cuckoo Land
Posts: 29,036
Two points:

1. Mostly right or kinda wrong, he's back at 10/9C.
2. I love Emily with all my heart and soul.
  #47  
Old 01-08-2019, 09:51 PM
Wheelz Wheelz is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 5,301
I've only seen a couple episodes; they were entertaining, though I can't say for sure how "right" or "wrong" any of the segments were.
But in my opinion, simply advancing the premise that we should dig more deeply into things we always just assumed to be true is a good thing.
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:54 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright © 2018 STM Reader, LLC.

 
Copyright © 2017