Old 12-10-2018, 02:41 PM

Seen it: Spider-Man - Into the Spider-Verse

Did anyone else catch this over the weekend? I saw it Saturday when they did an unadvertised fan screening for one showing at 2 p.m.

Well-worth seeing, though I wish I hadn't seen the trailers. The animation style should put it up for some awards, and it's got some truly beautiful sequences.

Last edited by epbrown01; 12-10-2018 at 02:43 PM.
Old 12-14-2018, 06:50 PM

I really liked it. It took it's time telling Miles Morales' story which I could see frustrate some viewers but I liked it. It did feel like some of the Alternate Spider People got short changed (Spider Noir especially) but there is only so much time.

I really liked the Comic book animation style and the fourth wall breaks were funny, not annoying. The scene after the credits was Meta on top of Meta and very funny for fans.

I would recommend the movie. My Girlfriend who is not a comic book fan even enjoyed it (although she hated the post credit scene because it made no sense to her).
Old 12-15-2018, 05:23 PM
Charter Member

I just got back from seeing it, and it's absolutely delightful--the most comic-book comic-book movie I've ever seen.

We missed the post-credits scene unfortunately; I'll have to see if I can find it online.

Were there sections of it where the colors were deliberately out-of-phase? At one point I looked around the theater to see if other folks were wearing 3D glasses, because it looked a little like that, but then the images came back into phase. I couldn't figure out if they'd put on the wrong film (there was a later 3d showing at the same theater), or if this out-of-phase bit was a deliberate choice to make it look like a poorly-printed comic page.
Old 12-15-2018, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Left Hand of Dorkness View Post
Were there sections of it where the colors were deliberately out-of-phase? At one point I looked around the theater to see if other folks were wearing 3D glasses, because it looked a little like that, but then the images came back into phase. I couldn't figure out if they'd put on the wrong film (there was a later 3d showing at the same theater), or if this out-of-phase bit was a deliberate choice to make it look like a poorly-printed comic page.
I noticed this too. On some of the close ups the character outlines got blurry. Seems to have been a deliberate decision on the part of the filmmakers, but not sure the reason.

Overall, I really enjoyed it. Probably the best Spider-Man movie since Raimi's Spider-Man 2. It should be a shoo-in to win Best Animated Film.

If I have one complaint it's that the movie is hyper-kinetic. Not as bad as Lego Batman, but could be a problem for kids with sensory issues.

Last edited by Yodalicious; 12-15-2018 at 07:47 PM.
Old 12-15-2018, 08:28 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Were there sections of it where the colors were deliberately out-of-phase?
This is the reason I am not going to see the movie. They did this in the trailers and it made my eyes hurt. I literally had to look away from the screen because I was trying to focus on things that were deliberately offset to look like misaligned printing errors.

So annoying that the reviews are so great when it's going to give me an actual headache if I go see it.
Old 12-15-2018, 08:36 PM

It was definitely an artistic choice. Visually it was, well, amazing. It felt like they used several different styles but they all meshed together.
Old 12-15-2018, 08:50 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuanoLad View Post
This is the reason I am not going to see the movie. They did this in the trailers and it made my eyes hurt. I literally had to look away from the screen because I was trying to focus on things that were deliberately offset to look like misaligned printing errors.

So annoying that the reviews are so great when it's going to give me an actual headache if I go see it.
I get that. It seemed to me that when Miles was feeling unsure and frantic and, well, adolescent, things got out of focus, but when he was a little more certain of himself, it was in focus. If that's what was going on, it's a very cool stylistic touch--but unfortunately, it was literally difficult to watch for me, and I imagine it'll be so for other folks.

But it was far from the entire movie like that.
Old 12-15-2018, 10:16 PM

I saw it last night with my 17-year-old ďnephew.Ē Iíd seen one or two ads for it on TV, but didnít pay much attention to them: Iím a Marvel movies fan, but my initial reaction was ďa PG (not even PG-13) cartoon Spider-Man? meh.Ē But he wanted to see it and Iím always up for one-on-one time with him, so I took him.

It was AWESOME. Visually stunning, funnier and more clever than I expected, and utterly entertaining.

I have a question, though, for someone super familiar with the comics: cannon-wise, why does Miles have his momís last name instead of his dadís? I get that it would make him Miles Davis, but the writers could have given his dad a different last name if that were an objection. I canít (easily) find anything online about why Miles uses his momís maiden name. Itís possible thereís nothing in the cannon about it, but Iím just curious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quimby View Post
My Girlfriend who is not a comic book fan even enjoyed it (although she hated the post credit scene because it made no sense to her).
I thought it was referencing something completely different, so I laughed with everyone else and didnít even know Iíd missed anything until my nephew mentioned that his dad would enjoy the movie but wouldnít get the post-credits scene...which made me ask him about it, because his dad would definitely get the reference Iíd had in mind.
Old 12-15-2018, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yodalicious View Post
I noticed this too. On some of the close ups the character outlines got blurry. Seems to have been a deliberate decision on the part of the filmmakers, but not sure the reason.

Overall, I really enjoyed it. Probably the best Spider-Man movie since Raimi's Spider-Man 2. It should be a shoo-in to win Best Animated Film.

If I have one complaint it's that the movie is hyper-kinetic. Not as bad as Lego Batman, but could be a problem for kids with sensory issues.
I noticed the image blurring repeatedly. I decided it was stylistic, and it's the only complaint I have about the movie. It's hard to watch and distracting.

Overall, we really liked it. The relationships, the characters, and the story were all great.
Old 12-17-2018, 12:28 PM

Saw it last night and loved it!

It's amazing what happens when companies (Sony in this case) just gives movies to filmmakers who know how to make movies and...gasp!...the movies are good! My favorite thing about the movie was that it flowed really well and I never rolled my eyes and said: "Well we're at the part of the movie where the conflict happens."

Mrs. Cups went to the movie with me because she knew I wanted to see it, but ended up really, really loving the movie. Definitely should win the Best Animated Feature Oscar.

As for the blurring on the screen, according to the imdb trivia it was a design choice to mimic a comic book.
Old 12-17-2018, 12:51 PM

I liked it quite a lot. The film did a great job of drawing fresh drama and comedy out of the now tired Spiderman origin story. It was a visual feast though the final sequence was perhaps too abstract and hyperkinetic. Of the new Spider-versions I liked Noir the best and the Rubik's cube gag was hilarious.

One of the ironies of 21st century movies is that the two most successful genres are superhero films and CG animated films but there aren't that many animated superhero films. This film has gotten great reviews and has done fairly well at the boxoffice and I hope it inspires more of its kind. In particular I would love to see Batman/Gotham done in this animation style.
Old 12-17-2018, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misnomer View Post
I saw it last night with my 17-year-old ďnephew.Ē Iíd seen one or two ads for it on TV, but didnít pay much attention to them: Iím a Marvel movies fan, but my initial reaction was ďa PG (not even PG-13) cartoon Spider-Man? meh.Ē But he wanted to see it and Iím always up for one-on-one time with him, so I took him.

It was AWESOME. Visually stunning, funnier and more clever than I expected, and utterly entertaining.

I have a question, though, for someone super familiar with the comics: cannon-wise, why does Miles have his momís last name instead of his dadís? I get that it would make him Miles Davis, but the writers could have given his dad a different last name if that were an objection. I canít (easily) find anything online about why Miles uses his momís maiden name. Itís possible thereís nothing in the cannon about it, but Iím just curious.

I thought it was referencing something completely different, so I laughed with everyone else and didnít even know Iíd missed anything until my nephew mentioned that his dad would enjoy the movie but wouldnít get the post-credits scene...which made me ask him about it, because his dad would definitely get the reference Iíd had in mind.
I think the doylist reason for the last name is so that you know he's hispanic. The watsonian reason I saw referenced somewhere on line is that his parents are married, but don't share a last name, and he got really sick of the Miles Davis jokes, so he goes by Mom's.
Old 12-17-2018, 03:46 PM

Thanks, Darth Sensitive!
Old 12-17-2018, 04:34 PM

I did like the scene where they were going through Peter B. Parker's story, we see his wedding and discover he's Jewish.

It doesn't change anything about the character, but I thought it was cool and fit in with the message of the movie about how anyone can be Spider-Man or there's Spider-Man for everyone.
Old 12-17-2018, 04:37 PM
2012 SDMB NFL Salary Cap Champ
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Sensitive View Post
I think the doylist reason for the last name is so that you know he's hispanic. The watsonian reason I saw referenced somewhere on line is that his parents are married, but don't share a last name, and he got really sick of the Miles Davis jokes, so he goes by Mom's.
Don't forget the unwritten rule about alliterative names in Marvel.
Old 12-18-2018, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asterion View Post
Don't forget the unwritten rule about alliterative names in Marvel.
Right!!!
Old 12-18-2018, 03:03 PM

Quote:
I thought we might have gotten into the 3d movie by accident too. My husband who is a comic fan from way back said that it was a deliberate choice to emulate the poorly-printed-on-cheapest-newsprint old comics. They would run the paper through the printing press several times, once for each color, and it wouldn't always line up.

It was gorgeous. They did just a genius job balancing all of the artistic styles: cross-hatching for shading, actual ink shading, noir grayscale against the burn-your-retinas color of the anime character, cartoon style up against almost-photographic artwork. The animation of the character's facial expressions was dead-on realistic.

And I'm someone who is sick to death of Hollywood remaking the Spiderman movies. This was different, and fresh.

Last edited by JcWoman; 12-18-2018 at 03:03 PM.
Old 12-24-2018, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JcWoman View Post
It was gorgeous. They did just a genius job balancing all of the artistic styles: cross-hatching for shading, actual ink shading, noir grayscale against the burn-your-retinas color of the anime character, cartoon style up against almost-photographic artwork. The animation of the character's facial expressions was dead-on realistic.
Wow, talk about MMV.

I found the film really hard to grade. I'm honestly not sure if I'm rating it way too high or way too low.

I loved the script, the acting, the music, the editing, all that jazz. But I hated the animation style. Not the use of comic book elements like word bubble type narration and such. That was totally cool. I just can't stand the "uncanny valley" computer animation used through most of the movie.

So I can see an argument for just giving this a D-, lamenting that they didn't make it a different way, and moving on. But all those other elements of the film are strong enough that I was kind of into it regardless. So ultimately I went with a C- grade.
Old 12-24-2018, 06:13 PM

Quote:

My wife and I have two biological children together (plus the two older children from my first marriage). She and I have been married since before we had either of our two bio children together (she was pregnant at the wedding, but we sent out invitations before she got pregnant). But my wife kept her "maiden" name, and both of our bio children have her last name.
Old 12-24-2018, 11:21 PM
Charter Member

It was freakin' awesome. I saw it with my eldest, who just returned from her first semester as a digital animation major in the Dodge College of Film and Arts at Chapman University in Orange California (greater LA area and funded by Cecil B. DeMille heirs). According to both my kidlet and her pretty well known professors, Into the Universe is revolutionary. IMHO it's the first time a film actually is at least comparable if not superior to a comic book + imagination.

I foresee 2000AD story lines like Strontium Dog or Judge Dred, or something like Los Bros Hernados Love and Rockets can actually be adapted to a digital film format and be a superior product.

It's not like this is new technology. simply the first time it has been put together into a pretty great film. In other words, it's kinda the Star Wars of this generation.
Old 12-25-2018, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Thanks ó I was wondering this too. Thought maybe they had split up at some point.

Loved the movie. Visually great and so well-written.
Old 12-26-2018, 01:59 PM

I really liked it....but...

I was disappointed by the climax because I wanted something unique to Miles or his experience to actually matter in the final battle. I wanted more than Miles to punchy punchy.
Like there is a clear parallel between Miles finding out his beloved uncle is a super villain, and Fisk's family finding out he's a super villain... and they didn't use that at all in the movie.
Old 12-26-2018, 05:35 PM
Charter Member

I loved it! I've seen it twice in 2D and I'm going to see it again in 3D next week. I wish I could have seen it at an IMAX (a REAL one).

Quote:
Originally Posted by China Guy View Post
It's not like this is new technology. simply the first time it has been put together into a pretty great film. In other words, it's kinda the Star Wars of this generation.
Yes, one of the most exciting things about it, long-term, is that it will inspire countless future filmmakers. It may not be tearing up the box office now, but it will be cited so often it will never be forgotten.
Old 12-26-2018, 11:14 PM

Oh god, I hope that’s not right.
Old 12-26-2018, 11:24 PM

Quote:
I thought we might have gotten into the 3d movie by accident too. My husband who is a comic fan from way back said that it was a deliberate choice to emulate the poorly-printed-on-cheapest-newsprint old comics. They would run the paper through the printing press several times, once for each color, and it wouldn't always line up.
This. I used to read Spider Man in the newspaper when I was a kid, and that was a pretty common problem. I guess I intuitively understood that.

Quote:
It was gorgeous. They did just a genius job balancing all of the artistic styles: cross-hatching for shading, actual ink shading, noir grayscale against the burn-your-retinas color of the anime character, cartoon style up against almost-photographic artwork. The animation of the character's facial expressions was dead-on realistic...
I loved it, but my mom doesn't like animation in general, and I don't think she'd even be able to sit through this. It was awfully busy.

But I loved the characters, I loved the emotional stress and interactions, I loved the music, I loved the graphics when they weren't too overwhelming, and I loved the homage to actual comic books. Oh, and I liked that Doc Ock was a woman.

Really fun movie, I'm glad I saw it.
Old 12-27-2018, 01:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by China Guy View Post
Is there a good article or video on the technology used in the film? It looked amazing but how different is it exactly from other CG animated films?
Old 12-27-2018, 09:12 PM

I’m also not anti-animation, BTW. Studio Ghibli stuff, most especially “Spirited Away”, is awesome. If this Spidey movie had been hand-drawn, it could have been something great.
Old 12-28-2018, 07:30 PM
Charter Member

Just saw it today and I am embarrassed.

I was so convinced the movie was in 3D and that none of us were provided glasses, I tried to speak to someone after about getting a partial refund. It was explained to me that it was the style of the movie.

I liked the movie, but found the blurred color effect to be not wise. I did like the "comic book texture" look. I also would not have used an odd frame-rate in the slower moments.

The movie was good, not amazing. I liked a lot about it. Spider-man Homecoming was much better. My kids, ages 8 and 10, liked it. My son(8) liked it a lot. My daughter(10) thought it was pretty good, but she was a little bit bored.
Old 12-29-2018, 03:17 AM
Elephant Whisperer

We saw it this evening. Really good. We told our neighbor she should see it, and she said she already tried but walked out on it. She likes some pretty awful crap though, so consider the source.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equipoise View Post
It may not be tearing up the box office now, but it will be cited so often it will never be forgotten.
I dunno. Our viewing was packed, so a lot of people are seeing it.

Last edited by Siam Sam; 12-29-2018 at 03:20 AM.
Old 12-29-2018, 07:14 AM
Charter Member

Unfortunately the comments about the style mean that it's a no-no for me. Pity.
Old 12-29-2018, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlackerInc View Post
Oh god, I hope thatís not right.
Well, time to give up hope because that is exactly right.
Old 12-29-2018, 11:15 PM

Saw it tonight with my 9-year-old son and we both loved it. I'd love to see a sequel or even a Miles Morales TV series in a similar style.
Old 12-30-2018, 12:45 AM

I was glad to learn there is at least one critic not buying into the alleged awesomeness of the animation (although I liked the other aspects of the movie more than he did):

https://rogersmovienation.com/2018/1...e-spiderverse/
Quote:
Yes, that’s how it’s supposed to look. And no, Sony Animation should not have let “Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse” out its doors and onto big screens in this blurred, jerky, pixelated condition.

No kidding, six minutes into it, I go track down the studio’s representative at the screening, who had overseen other showings of the film in our market. No, that’s just how it looks, he assures me.

So did all those folks raving this up on Rottentomatoes watch it off screeners on their home systems? Because this plainly cut-rate enterprise, in which the dot matrix of characters’ CGI is plainly visible on an IMAX screen near you, the action as jerky as 1960s TV anime and action beats that devolve into a “Transformers” blur, is ugly enough on the big screen to spoil a pretty good effort at redefining the comic book movie.
Old 12-30-2018, 05:35 AM

Quote:
I was glad to learn there is at least one critic not buying into the alleged awesomeness of the animation
...there is nothing "alleged" about other people's opinions, no matter what this alleged "reviewer" has to say about it.
Old 12-30-2018, 12:20 PM

Would you prefer “supposed”?
Old 12-30-2018, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Would you prefer ďsupposedĒ?
...I think that the animation for Into the Spider-Verse was awesome. There is no "supposedly" about it. You are welcome to disagree. You aren't welcome to tell me my opinion is "alleged" or "supposed".
Old 12-30-2018, 04:23 PM

The frame rate was probably the least successful of their efforts to make the film seem like an animated comic book, and I can understand why it might turn some folks off. But it didn’t bother me in the slightest; indeed, I thought the animation was superb overall. I can’t understand someone calling it unqualifiedly bad.
Old 12-30-2018, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banquet Bear View Post
...I think that the animation for Into the Spider-Verse was awesome. There is no "supposedly" about it. You are welcome to disagree. You aren't welcome to tell me my opinion is "alleged" or "supposed".

I suppose I don't "welcome" your last couple posts either, but I don't bother griping to you about it, since I have long since made my peace with the fact that people don't always welcome the things others have to say.

To me, the following two statements are functionally equivalent:

(1) I was glad to learn there is at least one critic not buying into the supposed awesomeness of the animation.

(2) I was glad to learn there is at least one critic who shares my puzzled and strenuous disagreement with all the other critics who say the animation is awesome.

ETA: Note that what Paranoid Randroid said is a similar kind of statement, maybe even stronger ("I can't understand someone calling it"), just on the other side of the opinion spectrum. I'm not offended by that.

Last edited by SlackerInc; 12-30-2018 at 07:27 PM.
Old 12-30-2018, 08:38 PM

Quote:
I suppose I don't "welcome" your last couple posts either, but I don't bother griping to you about it, since I have long since made my peace with the fact that people don't always welcome the things others have to say.
...my opinion isn't "alleged" or "supposed". As long as you stop insinuating that it is then we are all good.

Quote:
To me, the following two statements are functionally equivalent:

(1) I was glad to learn there is at least one critic not buying into the supposed awesomeness of the animation.

(2) I was glad to learn there is at least one critic who shares my puzzled and strenuous disagreement with all the other critics who say the animation is awesome.
Well they aren't functionally equivalent. Maybe that's what you aren't getting?

Quote:
ETA: Note that what Paranoid Randroid said is a similar kind of statement, maybe even stronger ("I can't understand someone calling it"), just on the other side of the opinion spectrum. I'm not offended by that.
While your characterization of Paranoid Randroid's post is correct: we aren't talking about "offense." I'm not offended by your post.
Old 12-30-2018, 08:46 PM
Doltish Snackhound
Charter Member

I enjoyed the movie a lot (favorite parts: Aunt May, and when Miles threw a bagel at someone on his way out of a building and the sound effect when it hit was "BAGEL!" That made me giggle way more than it should have.)

I have to add myself to the list of folks who didn't like the weird pixel-y out of focus animation style, though. I had the same thought as lots of folks here did: that we wandered accidentally into a 3D movie and they didn't give us glasses. It was the only thing that kind of ruined an otherwise excellent movie for me. I got used to it eventually, but I would have enjoyed the film a lot more if they hadn't gone with that choice.
Old 12-30-2018, 09:01 PM

I watched it in 3-d this weekend. I thought it was decent, although the story line was somewhat blah. I don’t quite get the over-the-top praise of the movie. It was just too unrealistic for me to buy in. I told my son that I thought it would have been better as a live action movie. In that format, I don’t think they wouldn’t have gotten away with some of the parts that didn’t make sense, such as:

SPOILER:
His uncle just happens to be a henchman for the bad guy, and he just happens to be with him when the spider bites him giving him super powers

SPOILER:
He’s a high school student who can somehow leave school at all hours and no one notices, missing classes and/or getting zero sleep

SPOILER:
Gwen, who happens to be from another Spider Verse, is already a student at his school before he gets his spider powers

Last edited by Jackknifed Juggernaut; 12-30-2018 at 09:01 PM.
Old 12-30-2018, 09:47 PM

Jacknifed Juggernaut --

SPOILER:
His uncle took him down to that spot in the subway because he saw it while at work. Sure it was coincidence the spider got loose and was down there at the same time, but at least it didn't come out of nowhere.

SPOILER:
He did have some troubles with leaving campus at one point, but I think the whole movie only occurred in a couple of days or so.

SPOILER:
In her introduction, Gwen says she was knocked back in time a week as well as knocked into that universe. At least they addressed it, it seemed like Noir guy, Spider-Ham, and anime girl had been there for a while too.
Old 12-30-2018, 11:56 PM

I loved it. The whole thing was just ludicrously insane and over-the-top in a way live action could never be. The plot was pretty good, the relationships between Miles and his family were very convincing and heartfelt, and the characterization (eg acting, mannerisms, nuance) might be the best I've ever seen. This wasn't just good, it was Pixar good. But the real show-stopper was the visual style and effects. It was absolutely unique, with this constant barrage of hallucinogenic, kaleidoscopic visual madness. It's like Jackson Pollock and Baz Lurmahnn combined their super-powers into a spectacularly insane movie.

The closest thing I can compare it to is 'Lego Batman,' not just for the hyperkinetic visuals but also the fact that it incorporates tons of Spider-Man lore and just assumes the audience is already up to speed. I'm very happy that our superhero movie tropes are mature enough to make these kinds of films. The movies we are seeing nowadays wouldn't have been possible twenty years ago. Last generation's superhero movies were all about holding the audience's hand and explaining to them step by step who the character is and what he does, on the assumption that they have never read a comic book before. And that's what they needed. But our recent crop of movies have reached the deconstruction stage, where the audiences can be assumed to be familiar enough with the characters and the tropes that the film-makers can start playing around with them. (eg. Logan, Deadpool, Lego Batman, Watchmen.)
Old 12-31-2018, 01:21 AM
Elephant Whisperer

infiniti and Jackknifed Juggernaut,

In addition:

SPOILER:
Gwen also said, in her intro, that her Spidey sense told her to make her way to that school.

Last edited by Siam Sam; 12-31-2018 at 01:23 AM.
Old 12-31-2018, 02:28 AM

sort of spoiler...

since I cant fid the spoiler tags ….my question is below

is miles story the same as in the ps4 game? where his dads deceased or gets killed at some point ?

Last edited by nightshadea; 12-31-2018 at 02:29 AM.
Old 12-31-2018, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightshadea View Post
is miles story the same as in the ps4 game? where his dads deceased or gets killed at some point ?
No
Old 12-31-2018, 09:27 AM

The other's have been answered
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackknifed Juggernaut View Post
I watched it in 3-d this weekend. I thought it was decent, although the story line was somewhat blah. I donít quite get the over-the-top praise of the movie. It was just too unrealistic for me to buy in. I told my son that I thought it would have been better as a live action movie. In that format, I donít think they wouldnít have gotten away with some of the parts that didnít make sense, such as:

SPOILER:
Heís a high school student who can somehow leave school at all hours and no one notices, missing classes and/or getting zero sleep

SPOILER:
I could leave my high school. My kids could leave theirs. I'm sure his teachers noticed when he skipped classes, but he didn't go back to face the music until after the show ended.

That one never even occurred to me as weird, and I'm completely certain they could have gotten away with it in a live-action film -- how would that part even be different?
Old 12-31-2018, 11:00 AM

Thanks everyone. I guess I didnít pay enough attention.

As for school, it was a boarding school for high school students so I would think they would be far more strict about when kids can leave.
Old 12-31-2018, 02:51 PM

From the "too many cooks spoil the broth" department, per Wikipedia:

Quote:
It took around a year for the production team to create 10 seconds of footage that they were happy with, and then animation work on the film developed from there.[49] During the initial development, the directors worked with a single animator to establish the look of the film. This number eventually grew to 60 animators during production, but it became clear that this would not be enough to complete the film on time and so the crew was expanded further. The number had reached 142 animators by August 2018, the largest animation crew that Sony Pictures Imageworks had ever used for a film.
So they worked painstakingly (for a YEAR!) over ten seconds of footage, and then they got way behind schedule and had to farm it out to more and more animators. There's no way that translates to the exact look they were initally going for, or what they would have gotten had they been told "take all the time you need, even if it is several years: just let us know when you have it ready". I would sure love to see what that ten seconds looked like!

OTOH, I don't have a problem with any of the story complaints people are mentioning. I still think it would be an excellent film with all the same dialogue and story beats but different animation.

Last edited by SlackerInc; 12-31-2018 at 02:53 PM.
Old 01-09-2019, 07:48 AM

Saw it, was blown away by it. A fast-paced, entertaining comic book film with layers upon layers of meta-storytelling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yodalicious View Post
I was heavily overstimulated by the end of the opening credits, so I agree with you. While I soon relaxed into it and enjoyed the style, it's going to majorly trigger some sensitive folks.

Quote:
The scene after the credits was Meta on top of Meta and very funny for fans.
Yes, that's a good...point.

Quote:
It was definitely an artistic choice. Visually it was, well, amazing. It felt like they used several different styles but they all meshed together.
They did - there was a moment where I thought they had gone full Claymation (it wasn't, but some scenes were much more 3D-modelled than the more comic-book style ones).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibn Warraq View Post
I did like the scene where they were going through Peter B. Parker's story, we see his wedding and discover he's Jewish.
Yes, a nice touch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Push You Down View Post
I was disappointed by the climax because I wanted something unique to Miles or his experience to actually matter in the final battle. I wanted more than Miles to punchy punchy.

Like there is a clear parallel between Miles finding out his beloved uncle is a super villain, and Fisk's family finding out he's a super villain... and they didn't use that at all in the movie.
The key point of that scene is (spoilering just because)
SPOILER:
Miles' dad going from your standard "authority figure hating vigilante superheroes" to understanding what he was doing and supporting him, even though he didn't know it was Miles. The frisson between Miles and his father was a significant plot point, resolved at the climax in an unexpected way.
Also, of course, there was the parallel of Fisk's family catching him again doing exactly the same thing (in the same pose) that he had done previously with the other Spider-Man. Fisk keeps blaming Spider-Man for his own mistakes. And his uncle's death was there to parallel the losses all the others had had.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infovore View Post
I enjoyed the movie a lot (favorite parts: Aunt May, and when Miles threw a bagel at someone on his way out of a building and the sound effect when it hit was "BAGEL!" That made me giggle way more than it should have.)
I couldn't stop laughing at "BAGEL!".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackknifed Juggernaut View Post
As for school, it was a boarding school for high school students so I would think they would be far more strict about when kids can leave.
Miles gets called out on being out of school without permission a couple of times during the film - by the security guy and by his parents - and remember that he doesn't leave by the door so it's not like they could have stopped him.