Old 01-09-2019, 08:10 AM

Saw it with my 14 y.o. daughter, we both loved it, especially the animation style(s). Thought female Doc Oc was a nice subversion. Overall, great movie, want more like it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB99 View Post
The closest thing I can compare it to is 'Lego Batman,' not just for the hyperkinetic visuals but also the fact that it incorporates tons of Spider-Man lore and just assumes the audience is already up to speed.
Yes, I thought this was good, too. And good comparison.
Old 01-09-2019, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlackerInc View Post
From the "too many cooks spoil the broth" department, per Wikipedia:

So they worked painstakingly (for a YEAR!) over ten seconds of footage, and then they got way behind schedule and had to farm it out to more and more animators. There's no way that translates to the exact look they were initally going for, or what they would have gotten had they been told "take all the time you need, even if it is several years: just let us know when you have it ready". I would sure love to see what that ten seconds looked like!

OTOH, I don't have a problem with any of the story complaints people are mentioning. I still think it would be an excellent film with all the same dialogue and story beats but different animation.
Really, this is how any animated, or CGI film works, going all the way back to Disney. They first work on the concept art, which takes a long time. Then they bring in designers to flesh out characters, and backgrounds, etc. Then they farm out to dozens of shops to do the grunt work. Some shops specialize in backgrounds, some specialize in motion, etc.

We get that you didn't like it, and that you want to trash it. Really, we get that.
Old 01-09-2019, 08:38 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icarus View Post
We get that you didn't like it, and that you want to trash it. Really, we get that.
Maybe you have, but I haven't, and I do hope he chimes in with several more posts explaining why the movie is terrible using evidence that really shows he doesn't understand how animation works, because those are the best parts of this thread!

This has risen to my favorite superhero movie ever, and the one major flaw in it--the offset print that looks like 3d graphics without glasses--is the sort of swing-and-miss that I'm happy to put up with as the price of getting so many swing-and-hit moments.
Old 01-09-2019, 09:00 AM

I'm seeing posts that seem to indicate a lot of people didn't see it in 3D. I thought the 3D was a big part of what worked, 2D people missed out, IMO.
Old 01-09-2019, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDibble View Post
I'm seeing posts that seem to indicate a lot of people didn't see it in 3D. I thought the 3D was a big part of what worked, 2D people missed out, IMO.
Good God - it was intense enough in 2D. If I'd watched it in 3D I would have been bleeding from the eyes by the end.

By the way: there was the usual Stan Lee cameo but did you catch that Steve Ditko was one of the contacts in his dad's phone?

Last edited by Gyrate; 01-09-2019 at 09:54 AM.
Old 01-09-2019, 10:56 AM
Charter Jays Fan

Absolutely the best superhero movie in years, vastly superior to most Marvel schlock. Innovative, imaginative, loyal to the look of comic books. Great story, great characters. All the thumbs up.
Old 01-09-2019, 10:58 AM

I'm not usually a fan of 3D, but I saw it in 3D and it really worked well. I wonder if it actually made it a bit less overwhelming visually, by being a bit easier to parse with the extra separation of the different elements.

Probably my favorite movie of the year.
Old 01-09-2019, 11:17 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I rarely see movies twice, but this one might justify it. There's a wonderful second-run theater in town that does 3d, and I might catch it there. Was the offset printing mimicry at all jarring in 3d?

Last edited by Left Hand of Dorkness; 01-09-2019 at 11:17 AM.
Old 01-09-2019, 11:23 AM

Finally got to see this last night. Best Spiderman movie ever. Also the animation style knocked it out of the park, it was perfect.
Old 01-09-2019, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gyrate View Post
By the way: there was the usual Stan Lee cameo but did you catch that Steve Ditko was one of the contacts in his dad's phone?
Yes, saw that. Also Bendis in Miles' contacts.
Old 01-09-2019, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Left Hand of Dorkness View Post
Was the offset printing mimicry at all jarring in 3d?
I didn't find it so at all. I mean, I noticed it, and appreciated it, but it wasn't overwhelming.
Old 01-09-2019, 08:29 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I didn't find it so at all. I mean, I noticed it, and appreciated it, but it wasn't overwhelming.
That's really interesting, and I'm curious whether others had the same reaction. It seems that a lot of folks disliked the stylistic choice in 2D; perhaps it works a lot better in 3D somehow.

Again, I don't mind that they tried it out, because it means they were taking creative risks; this one just didn't work for me. If it works in 3D, I'd love to understand why.
Old 01-09-2019, 11:24 PM

Quote:
My daughter hates 3D, so we rarely see anything in 3D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by borschevsky View Post
I'm not usually a fan of 3D, but I saw it in 3D and it really worked well. I wonder if it actually made it a bit less overwhelming visually, by being a bit easier to parse with the extra separation of the different elements.

Probably my favorite movie of the year.
I wondered in real-time, while watching the film, if it wouldn't be better in 3D.

It was good in 2D, though.
Old 01-10-2019, 03:29 AM
Elephant Whisperer

We hate 3D too. One problem with 3D is the picture is inherently darker. Next time you're watching, take off your glasses and see how bright it suddenly looks. That's how bright it is in 2D.
Old 01-10-2019, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Left Hand of Dorkness View Post
This has risen to my favorite superhero movie ever, and the one major flaw in it--the offset print that looks like 3d graphics without glasses--is the sort of swing-and-miss that I'm happy to put up with as the price of getting so many swing-and-hit moments.
So over the last few weeks I've actually gone back to see the movie two more times (and my husband saw it a total of 4 times, he's nutso). What I noticed in the subsequent viewings is that the offset printing effect was done in the "out of focus" parts of the scenes. In other words, if you think in terms of camera focus, one part (usually the foreground) is in focus while the rest is slightly out of focus. They tended to make the slightly out of focus parts in the offset print effect. That's somewhat subtle and I didn't catch it the first time. Upon a re-watch I appreciated it more.

In addition to everything else about the gorgeousness of the movie, I really appreciated the pearlescent reflection in Spiderman's white eye area, especially when they did close ups to show us what he was looking at via reflection.
Old 01-12-2019, 03:53 PM

Can someone give me a short summary of why Green Goblin was a giant monster?
Old 01-13-2019, 02:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalC View Post
The same reason Otto Octavius was Olivia Octavius.
Old 01-13-2019, 03:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalC View Post
That was the Ultimate Green Goblin.