Old 12-27-2018, 08:18 AM

New Black Mirror drops tomorrow! (12/28/18)

A new Black Mirror movie is coming tomorrow. It's apparently an interactive type thing. More info here:

https://tvline.com/2018/12/27/black-...netflix-video/
Old 12-27-2018, 09:15 AM
Charter Member

I just tested my Smart TV app(which is always updating) and it said it can not play interactive things.

If you want to test, try the Minecraft Story mode thing. It is choose-your-own adventure.

I guess....I'll connect my PC to the TV? I only have a Wii U other than my PC for netflix.
Old 12-27-2018, 12:32 PM
Charter Member

Note: For those that care, it actually worked on the Wii U, which does NOT update its Netflix app to my knowledge.

:shrugs:
Old 12-27-2018, 02:01 PM

We just got an Amazon Fire TV Stick for mas, and the Minecraft Story movie worked. But I hope Black Mirror works the technology into their show better. The Minecraft action would stop, and a voice would say "Okay, now, do you choose Twingo Loses A Shoe, or Twingo Loses An Eye?"

I'm sure fare for adults would be better, but if they stop (wouldn't they have to at least pause?), it'll really take me out of the show.
Old 12-27-2018, 03:37 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by digs View Post
We just got an Amazon Fire TV Stick for mas, and the Minecraft Story movie worked. But I hope Black Mirror works the technology into their show better. The Minecraft action would stop, and a voice would say "Okay, now, do you choose Twingo Loses A Shoe, or Twingo Loses An Eye?"

I'm sure fare for adults would be better, but if they stop (wouldn't they have to at least pause?), it'll really take me out of the show.
I also hope it works well.

Uh...if it is really long, how do you save your progress? I hope Netflix keeps where you are at. I mean, what if you quit 1/2 way through?
Old 12-27-2018, 05:00 PM

Are we sure that it is "choose your own adventure"? The articles I have read merely hopes that it is based upon the rumors.
Old 12-27-2018, 05:15 PM

Quote:

How do you control the interactive content with the FireTV remote? I am playing Minecraft: Story Mode, but when I press buttons on the remote it pauses, rewinds or fast forwards.
Old 12-27-2018, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltraVires View Post
How do you control the interactive content with the FireTV remote? I am playing Minecraft: Story Mode, but when I press buttons on the remote it pauses, rewinds or fast forwards.
That's what the buttons do 99% of the time. If it's working, the movie pauses and you're given a choice:
Left button for "Shinny down this drainpipe and go explore a cave with Tom and Becky" or Right Button for "Grab onto the zipline and glide over the armored SUVs to escape the terrorists"

Then and only then the left and right sides of the circle on the FireTV remote highlight your choice. Push the center button and start shinnying.

I do wish it was more like DRAGON'S LAIR, though...
Old 12-27-2018, 05:40 PM

Quote:
That's what the buttons do 99% of the time. If it's working, the movie pauses and you're given a choice:
Left button for "Shinny down this drainpipe and go explore a cave with Tom and Becky" or Right Button for "Grab onto the zipline and glide over the armored SUVs to escape the terrorists"

Then and only then the left and right sides of the circle on the FireTV remote highlight your choice. Push the center button and start shinnying.

I do wish it was more like DRAGON'S LAIR, though...
At least the Minecraft movie did not pause. The movie continues with the choices appearing in the bottom middle of the screen with a countdown bar timer to highlight the choice and a crosshairs (+) as a selection indicator. Any use of the buttons resulted in fast forwarding, pausing, or rewinding.

At one point it told me to "right click" to do something?!?
Old 12-27-2018, 05:45 PM

Quote:
At least the Minecraft movie did not pause. The movie continues with the choices appearing in the bottom middle of the screen with a countdown bar timer to highlight the choice and a crosshairs (+) as a selection indicator. Any use of the buttons resulted in fast forwarding, pausing, or rewinding.

At one point it told me to "right click" to do something?!?
Nevermind. Watching the wrong clip! Thanks.
Old 12-27-2018, 08:53 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Are we sure that it is "choose your own adventure"? The articles I have read merely hopes that it is based upon the rumors.
Rumors are pretty strong, including the bold claim they filmed over 4 hours of material for this episode.
Old 12-27-2018, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahaloth View Post
Rumors are pretty strong, including the bold claim they filmed over 4 hours of material for this episode.
I hope so, but I have not seen any confirmation. I know that nobody on this board wants to hear about me performing sexual acts on myself or my involuntary sexual reactions, so I'll wait until it is confirmed, and when it is confirmed, I will refrain from posting about it.
Old 12-28-2018, 01:32 AM

I love Black Mirror, but this "choose your own adventure" idea is absolutely terrible. Telling the story is their job, not mine. I suck at storytelling, which is why I'm a musician and not a novelist or screenwriter.
Old 12-28-2018, 01:48 AM

So this should be available at midnight, correct? Any of you east coast people watch it yet?
Old 12-28-2018, 05:05 AM

...okay: that was brilliant. DON'T GET SPOILED. Don't read until you've watched.

SPOILER:
I was initially a little bit disappointed that the story didn't have a "coherent narrative."

But as I kept trying again to get different endings I suddenly realized that everything was playing out exactly as the old "Choose your own adventure" books played out. The "break-the-fourth-wall" ending. The "you are crazy" ending. The mind control ending. The abrupt "is that it?" ending. So it took a few endings for me to get it: but this is a giant love-letter to the choose-your-own-adventure books. Its not just the gimmick of "multiple endings". Its how the multiple endings match the often random WTF moments you used to get when reading "Space and Beyond" and you end up on the " planet of old babies" or the ending of Inside UFO 54-40 that you can only get to if you cheat.

It might not have the same impact if you've never read the books, but if you have, it will transport you right back in time.

Its not supposed to have a coherent narrative because the books almost never did.

There probably is a "optimal ending" but I'm gonna stick with the "Netflix/Fuck Yeah/Kick'em in the balls" ending as my definitive canon end. (Unless I've missed something, which I probably have ) Absolutely fantastic.
Old 12-28-2018, 05:10 AM
Charter Member

Just finished "watching" it. The interactivity is pretty much along the lines of a Telltale game - you'll occasionally be prompted with two choices for how to progress, with a time limit to choose one. Some of these are cosmetic, like what breakfast cereal you want, or what cassette to listen to on the bus, and some of them open up branching paths in the story.

On a whole, it's very metafictional, and uses the choose-your-own-adventure concept mainly as a commentary on the nature of free will. Occasionally you'll hit a "bad" ending where it prompts you to go back to the previous choice, and there's sometimes added material in the replayed scene that references stuff from your previous choices. I'm not sure if there's a "true" ending, as once I'd reached a certain point it seemed like I'd run out of branching paths, and it then jumped right to the end credits. There was one path I couldn't seem to unlock where you're expected to type in a phone number from memory - I only got one shot at it, and couldn't find my way back to that path afterward.

Of the endings I did get to, I was most amused by the one where

SPOILER:
Steffan discovers that he's an actor playing a character in a Netflix special

but I didn't really find it all that satisfactory, since it leaves the main plotline hanging.

Given that the main character is a schizophrenic, there's a lot of unanswered questions about how much of the story is "real" in terms of the world he lives in and how much of it is in his head.

It's definitely a bold endeavor, and well-executed, but the lack of a definitive ending leaves it feeling unfinished. I guess I'd give it two-and-a-half stars out of five.

Last edited by Smapti; 12-28-2018 at 05:12 AM.
Old 12-28-2018, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smapti View Post
the lack of a definitive ending leaves it feeling unfinished.
I didn't get all all the endings (probably need to restart for some), but the last ending I got before the credit roll, felt like a 'definite' Black Mirror ending to me. A bleak resolution.

SPOILER:
Ending with joining your mother on the train. I think suggests it was mental illness, not PACS, unless the dad/doctor are faking their grief (in the twist)
Old 12-28-2018, 08:24 AM

Is it possible to watch it without the "choose" part? For instance, if someone didn't have a smart tv, what would they see?
Old 12-28-2018, 09:37 AM

If you're trying to play it on a device that will run Netflix but not the interactive content, it'll play an apology, instead. (If you're trying to play it on a device that can't run the interactive content, but THINKS it can (like my BR player), it'll play the tutorial for playing the interactive content, then fail out when it won't let you actually have it (at least that's what said BR player did).)

I had to (re)install Netflix on my tablet to get it working (my TV, BR, and cable box can all run Netflix, but none of them can handle the interactive content, any more, which is ANNOYING, and my computer has a flaky connection). This seems appropriate given that the plot involved failing to get a game working.

I've barely scratched the surface of the possible endings, so will have to try it again, later.

SPOILER:
I pretty much got stuck in the cluster where he killed his dad. Which featured, in one of the paths, my favourite line from the entire thing, after he decidedwas told not to kill Colin. 'That must have been anti-climactic for you. But I appreciate it. I'm rather enjoying this life. See you in the next one.'
Old 12-28-2018, 10:55 AM

I never chose to do that, so looks I definitely need to re-watch with different choices.
SPOILER:
Colin was out of the picture in my path rather quickly, but I didn't go back to him after the first meeting at his home (not sure that was even an option).

Last edited by Natlaw; 12-28-2018 at 10:55 AM. Reason: Fix spoiler tag
Old 12-28-2018, 11:22 AM
Charter Member

How long is it?

I mean if you wander down a path and reach an ending, how long is it?
Old 12-28-2018, 11:34 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakester View Post
I love Black Mirror, but this "choose your own adventure" idea is absolutely terrible. Telling the story is their job, not mine. I suck at storytelling, which is why I'm a musician and not a novelist or screenwriter.
Well, they are still telling the story, or rather one of multiple stories. I haven't seen this yet, but I don't see any reason why incorporating the viewer (or reader) into a story can't be an effective part of the point of the story they are trying to tell.
Old 12-28-2018, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahaloth View Post
How long is it?
I didn't really time it, but it is listed as 90 mins. If you reach an end, you can get a jump back to a previous decision (which may now have different choices, parallel realities and stuff ).
I think my first 'wrong choice'/'soft-end' was after 10 minutes or so, jumping back to a previous choice gives a short montage of the story-as-chosen up to that decision. After a couple of those ends, there was an option 'jump-to-credits' overlay, which I did not use. I did get to the 'definite' end with credits roll where there was no option to jump back anymore (so with some options never visited).
I think I did spend ~60 minutes total (may be of base though, as didn't time), without covering all choices as mentioned.
Old 12-28-2018, 04:13 PM

Spoilers on branching paths:
SPOILER:
It's interesting that some things change permanently based on your choices. The main endings are the same, but some paths will be locked on your first playthrough based on your choices even when you go back to a previous choice, and there are some small detail changes. For example if Colin jumps, he's missing from some future scenes of other paths. If Stefan jumps, Colin will be present. Hiding an easter egg in some obscure path would be a fitting homeage to these styles of games.
Old 12-28-2018, 07:27 PM
Charter Member

I thought it was boring and gave up on it.
Old 12-28-2018, 08:58 PM
Charter Member

I've been watching over 90 minutes and have reached 3 endings or so.

Ummmm....this might be brilliant. I am now deep in it again and have different choices. Stefan asked me who I am and I had more options.
Old 12-28-2018, 09:15 PM
Charter Member

OK, I appear(according to reddit) to have reached all the main endings. It took me to credits with no "go back" episode and played a bonus tag with Stefan on the bus and this time, he had a tape called Bandersnatch demo.

I liked it a lot.
Old 12-28-2018, 10:32 PM

The story reminded me of BioShock where it used the medium of the story as part of the story. One thing that really tickled me was

SPOILER:
Having the option to tell him he was a character in a show on Netflix. My final ending though was the same as someone else's above where he gets on the Train in the past and dies in the doctor's office in 1984.
Old 12-29-2018, 04:09 AM
Charter Member

I got a different "final ending" than the ones others are talking about.

SPOILER:
I refused to take the train trip with mom, because it felt too Donnie Darko for my tastes and I was hoping for a path where Stefan's outlook changes when he realizes he wasn't responsible for her death. There wasn't one, disappointingly. The ending that kicked me to the final credits was when Stefan tries to jump out the window during the fight scene, the director yells "Cut!", and suddenly he's the only person who doesn't realize he's an actor.

Also, a question;

SPOILER:
Does anyone know what phone number Stefan's supposed to call after he kills his dad? I couldn't think of a number to enter, and subsequently it defaulted to the version where he buries his dad alone, the neighbors' dogs dig him up, and it ends with him in prison watching a review where the games company decided to publish Bandersnatch in its unfinished state despite his crime.

Also, some Easter eggs I noticed; the clinic is called "St. Juniper's", in a nod to San Junipero. Also, the cassettes you can choose between are Into the Gap by the Thompson Twins and Now That's What I Call Music! Volume 2, both of which have "Hold Me Now" on them.
Old 12-29-2018, 05:15 AM

The biggest reference to previous BM episodes is the glyph the author of Bandersnatch came up with - it's the same one from White Bear. Also, the titles of both of Colin's video games shown are Kreativli Speld versions of episode titles from the last couple seasons - Nosedive (Nohsdiv, I think...) and Metalhead (Metl Hedd).

I never hit any endings that kicked me directly to the real end credits without a 'go back' option, but I did hit one with credits (the whole 'intercutting the credits between bits of story' technique)...

SPOILER:
A flash forward to Colin's daughter recreating Bandersnatch...and showing signs of the same thing happening to her as happened to Stefan.
Old 12-29-2018, 05:20 AM

Quote:
Also, a question;

SPOILER:
Does anyone know what phone number Stefan's supposed to call after he kills his dad?
Weirdly, when I got that bit...

SPOILER:
The number was actually given while the option to enter it was up, using clips from earlier in the episode, where various characters (Stefan, Colin, and the doctor) said numbers. It was 20541...or 25041. One or the other. Of course, that's assuming it's the same in the 'we'll give you the numbers' and 'figure it out, you dope' versions of the scene.
Old 12-29-2018, 06:09 AM
Charter Member

As an aside; when Stefan first pulled out the book at the breakfast table, I paused and tried to search for Bandersnatch by Jerome F. Davies, because it sounded like the kind of classic sci-fi novel I'd want to know about and read. I was disappointed I couldn't find anything. As I continued watching, it gradually dawned on me that it was something the writers made up for the purpose of the episode.

Now I kinda wish they'd write and publish the novel itself as a spinoff of the episode.
Old 12-29-2018, 07:27 AM

Quote:
As an aside; when Stefan first pulled out the book at the breakfast table, I paused and tried to search for Bandersnatch by Jerome F. Davies, because it sounded like the kind of classic sci-fi novel I'd want to know about and read. I was disappointed I couldn't find anything. As I continued watching, it gradually dawned on me that it was something the writers made up for the purpose of the episode.

Now I kinda wish they'd write and publish the novel itself as a spinoff of the episode.
I don't think the novel exists, but Bandersnatch was a real computer game being developed in the 1980s. The company went bankrupt before it could be completed, and it's believed the game was later finished with a different name. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bandersnatch_(video_game)

Last edited by sohvan; 12-29-2018 at 07:28 AM.
Old 12-29-2018, 10:59 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I got a different "final ending" than the ones others are talking about.

SPOILER:
I refused to take the train trip with mom, because it felt too Donnie Darko for my tastes and I was hoping for a path where Stefan's outlook changes when he realizes he wasn't responsible for her death. There wasn't one, disappointingly. The ending that kicked me to the final credits was when Stefan tries to jump out the window during the fight scene, the director yells "Cut!", and suddenly he's the only person who doesn't realize he's an actor.

Also, a question;

SPOILER:
Does anyone know what phone number Stefan's supposed to call after he kills his dad? I couldn't think of a number to enter, and subsequently it defaulted to the version where he buries his dad alone, the neighbors' dogs dig him up, and it ends with him in prison watching a review where the games company decided to publish Bandersnatch in its unfinished state despite his crime.

Also, some Easter eggs I noticed; the clinic is called "St. Juniper's", in a nod to San Junipero. Also, the cassettes you can choose between are Into the Gap by the Thompson Twins and Now That's What I Call Music! Volume 2, both of which have "Hold Me Now" on them.
Yes, the episode told me the numbers at that point.
Old 12-29-2018, 01:08 PM

I rabbit holed through it last night and hit a couple of endings before going back make other options. There are lots of write ups out there about all the endings, easter eggs (including a free video game) and nods to other episodes. Really enjoy the twist on this episode and endless possibilities to how the story goes - just like real-life!
Old 12-29-2018, 04:38 PM

Here's a flow chart someone created. I know it isn't 100% compete because my exact path was a little different but it had every scene I saw as best as I could remember and many I didn't.
Old 12-29-2018, 05:33 PM

The creepiest part of this episode tom me is the meta-ness of it in the context of Black Mirror universe and its themes. Within that one step future universe this game would exist and Stefan would be an AI agent with sentience that we interactive viewers/players would be controlling for our amusement. Do we stop at Stefan working as part of team producing a meh reviewed game as part of an industry about to explode? That would be the best win for the sentient agent. But nah. More fun to go back and explore the options that make him and others suffer! So we do. I did. And certainly so would players/viewers in the Black Mirror universe.

FWIW I also tried to have him have his rabbit and not get on the train, to create a present in which his mother still died but he knew it wasn't his fault and in which his dad had shown him empathy and kindness so he never hated his dad. Obviously can't get there from here.
Old 12-31-2018, 12:32 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulykamell View Post
Well, they are still telling the story, or rather one of multiple stories. I haven't seen this yet, but I don't see any reason why incorporating the viewer (or reader) into a story can't be an effective part of the point of the story they are trying to tell.
Finally saw it yesterday through several different playthroughs, and I was glad to see that Black Mirror did indeed use the interaction in a manner that is central to the story. Very cleverly done.

All-in-all, I really enjoyed it, but they had me from the get-go with the subject matter, and a shout-out to the Commodore 64's soundchip (the SID). (I had no idea this was going to be set in the mid-80s centered around a young 8-bit games programmer. Just completely in my wheelhouse.) My only irk was questioning why the hell they're programming these commercial games in BASIC!? (I know, visually it works better, but I kept thinking, 'what kind of amateur computer gaming outfit is this?' Assembly!)

Still need to seek out all the paths, as I haven't gotten most of the mother story (I only know one little part of it), and there's some other plotlines I've heard about that I've completely missed, but I did get a 5/5 Bandersnatch game review on my first full play-through of the episode. I also enjoyed the dark humor at parts, especially the

SPOILER:

crazy action scene that comes out of nowhere at the therapist's office, after a meta-discussion about "who would be controlling your boring-ass programmer life--the audience wants entertainment!" and then you're presented with a choice to kick up the entertainment level with a choice of "yeah" or "fuck yeah." I chose the latter. Haven't seen what the former does yet, but I found the action that followed hilarious in the context of the episode.

Last edited by pulykamell; 12-31-2018 at 12:32 PM.
Old 12-31-2018, 01:54 PM
2018 Midterm Prediction Winner

The product placement for Netflix was off putting, they could have just said a streaming service instead was controlling him. Also we were watching it in Netflix, no need for product placement.

I guess that part bothered me, I'm usually fine with product placement but that was as subtle as a dick in the face and took me out of the film.

SPOILER:
Also I have gotten to almost every ending, I don't believe there is a happy ending. He either dies, goes to prison or creates a shitty game. I was hoping there'd be at least one good ending. I went online to look at decision trees and yup, no good ending.

I liked how the game reviewer gave game reviews that matched the storyline itself.

Also wtf was up with Colin? He dies in one scene then is alive twenty minutes later.

Last edited by Wesley Clark; 12-31-2018 at 01:57 PM.
Old 12-31-2018, 02:41 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley Clark View Post
The product placement for Netflix was off putting, they could have just said a streaming service instead was controlling him. Also we were watching it in Netflix, no need for product placement.
I didn't perceive that as "product placement" at all, but rather involving you more specifically in the story. After all, like you said, you're watching it on Netflix, so I think it's pretty cool that Netflix itself is mentioned. Makes it all the more meta all around. Hell, if it could read what computer and operating system I was using to watch it and incorporate it into the episode, that'd be even cooler. It makes me feel more like I am a part of the actual story, rather than an observer. Obviously, your mileage varies.

Last edited by pulykamell; 12-31-2018 at 02:43 PM.
Old 12-31-2018, 04:49 PM

Overall very good. The one complaint I have is that when you reach at story ending, at least for me and maybe it was my setup, it did not make it clear the the story had ended.

It just arced back to a previous place (usually with him waking up in his bed). Made me think that the playback messed up. I had to get on here to understand that the story had ended.

I also don't understand that why in some iterations the game is found to be great, in some average, and in some terrible. It was the same game in every choice.
Old 12-31-2018, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Overall very good. The one complaint I have is that when you reach at story ending, at least for me and maybe it was my setup, it did not make it clear the the story had ended.

It just arced back to a previous place (usually with him waking up in his bed). Made me think that the playback messed up. I had to get on here to understand that the story had ended.

I also don't understand that why in some iterations the game is found to be great, in some average, and in some terrible. It was the same game in every choice.
If you get automatically rewound then it’s not really an “ending”. The proper endings have a choice of watching the credits or rewinding.
Old 12-31-2018, 05:10 PM

Quote:
No, it wasn't. It was specifically called out as incomplete, rushed, or halfassed (all different forms of bad) in several of the bad reviews, some versions were created after
SPOILER:
either a complete psychotic break, or complete understanding of the universe
(which would result in a very different game) and one version involved
SPOILER:
completely stripping the element of choice, just keeping the illusion
(this is a standard technique in game design, and can be either good or bad).
Old 12-31-2018, 05:29 PM

Quote:
My only irk was questioning why the hell they're programming these commercial games in BASIC!? (I know, visually it works better, but I kept thinking, 'what kind of amateur computer gaming outfit is this?' Assembly!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wired interview
Much of this meant recreating the world of Brooker’s childhood – England in the 1980s. Brooker was raised in Oxfordshire, not London, but like Stefan he had a ZX Spectrum and was obsessed with games and trying to work out how to code. In a way, McLean says, “Bandersnatch” is a Charlie Brooker biopic.

When I ask Brooker whether he agrees, he deflects the question to Jones. “This is your world, and your era,” she says to Brooker. “The number of conversations we’ve fucking had about Spectrum games and the sound a Spectrum makes and ‘It wouldn’t make a sound like that if you were pressing that button there’, and ‘It wouldn’t load anything like that’.”

“The contempt is interesting isn’t it?” Brooker jokes, although he admits that he finds the episode’s inaccuracies slightly painful. Stefan programmes his game in BASIC, which would never really happen, he says, and the error codes that appear on screen are completely made up. “The level of detail that you have revealed to us about your knowledge of this world is shameful,” Jones says.
https://www.wired.co.uk/article/band...sode-explained

...Charlie Brooker hears, acknowledges and shares your pain
Old 12-31-2018, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Pearse View Post
If you get automatically rewound then it’s not really an “ending”. The proper endings have a choice of watching the credits or rewinding.
That doesn't make much sense. For example:

SPOILER:
In one scenario, he wakes up and believes he is being controlled. He asks "Who are you?" and (if you choose it) "Netflix" is controlling him. His father takes him to the doctor and then comes the fight scene (no matter what you pick) and his father then drags him out of the doctor's office with him screaming at the viewer (or, if you have him try to jump out the window, he is an actor on set).

At least on mine, it then loops back to him waking up in his bed and doing the same "Who are you?" routine. If you keep picking Netflix the movie will last for all eternity.
Old 12-31-2018, 06:11 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banquet Bear View Post
https://www.wired.co.uk/article/band...sode-explained

...Charlie Brooker hears, acknowledges and shares your pain
Heh. Nice link. To be absolutely fair, occasionally you'd get a BASIC program on cassette in one of those bargain basement software bins. (I remember some crap collections of games, like five games on tape or something, for like $5. Mostly awful stuff, but occasionally some of the early text adventures would be written in BASIC. Like I'm pretty sure at least the early Scott Adams [not the Dilbert guy] Adventure series was written in BASIC. Wikipedia says it Adventureland was written in 1978 for the TRS-80 in BASIC and was the first text adventure for the home computer market. Not sure if any of the follow-ups were or not.)
Old 12-31-2018, 06:53 PM

Quote:
That doesn't make much sense. For example:

SPOILER:
In one scenario, he wakes up and believes he is being controlled. He asks "Who are you?" and (if you choose it) "Netflix" is controlling him. His father takes him to the doctor and then comes the fight scene (no matter what you pick) and his father then drags him out of the doctor's office with him screaming at the viewer (or, if you have him try to jump out the window, he is an actor on set).

At least on mine, it then loops back to him waking up in his bed and doing the same "Who are you?" routine. If you keep picking Netflix the movie will last for all eternity.
Pretty sure I got a credit ending from Netflix. Could be an issue with the device you are watching on.
Old 12-31-2018, 08:08 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I didn't perceive that as "product placement" at all, but rather involving you more specifically in the story. After all, like you said, you're watching it on Netflix, so I think it's pretty cool that Netflix itself is mentioned. Makes it all the more meta all around. Hell, if it could read what computer and operating system I was using to watch it and incorporate it into the episode, that'd be even cooler. It makes me feel more like I am a part of the actual story, rather than an observer. Obviously, your mileage varies.
I took it pulykamell's way as well. It made me feel part of the story and Stefan had already resisted doing one of my commands earlier. I told him to pull his ear and he didn't. I told my wife at that point, "Ah, he feels us choosing for him." So when Netflix came up, we loved it and told him.
Old 12-31-2018, 08:34 PM
Charter Member

I remember getting a kids' magazine in the very early '90s where a regular installment would be a body of BASIC code that you could put into your computer to make a rudimentary text game, FWIW.
Old 01-02-2019, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Are you just assuming that, or did you actually pick Netflix a bunch of times? Because the system is more complicated than that. It's got state. If you loop back and choose the same path, you don't get exactly the same results. Stuff you did on previous loops matters.

One tiny bit I really enjoyed: when he watches the documentary about the author who went insane, the first second and a half of the tape is a taped-over commercial for breakfast cereal. It's the same cereal you picked at the first choice point.

I loved it. I agree it's a love song to choose your own adventure books. I love that it's mass entertainment that we all have a slightly different experience of. I love the recursiveness of watching/playing a choose-your-own adventure movie about a guy going insane while writing a choose-your-own adventure video game because someone is controlling his actions, adapting a choose-your-own adventure book written by someone who went insane because he thought someone was controlling his actions.

The attempt to describe Netflix to someone in the 1980s was hilarious. "Streaming entertainment platform" is a borderline nonsense phrase. It may have helped that the first time I had that choice, Netflix wasn't one of the options, so the second time through I laughed out loud. It's like Netflix is playing a game with you just as you are playing a game with Stephan.