Old 01-02-2019, 07:28 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smapti View Post
I remember getting a kids' magazine in the very early '90s where a regular installment would be a body of BASIC code that you could put into your computer to make a rudimentary text game, FWIW.
Me too, in the late 80's. I think it was Connect 1234 or something?
Old 01-02-2019, 07:37 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahaloth View Post
Me too, in the late 80's. I think it was Connect 1234 or something?
I think it was 321 Contact now that I think a bit more.
Old 01-02-2019, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sohvan View Post
I don't think the novel exists, but Bandersnatch was a real computer game being developed in the 1980s. The company went bankrupt before it could be completed, and it's believed the game was later finished with a different name. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bandersnatch_(video_game)

“Beware the Jubjub bird, and shun
The frumious Bandersnatch!"

It was also a real reference to a creative poem by Lewis Carroll from long ago.
Old 01-02-2019, 10:03 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biffster View Post
“Beware the Jubjub bird, and shun
The frumious Bandersnatch!"

It was also a real reference to a creative poem by Lewis Carroll from long ago.
I should hope most of the dopers caught that reference.
Old 01-02-2019, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltraVires View Post
Overall very good. The one complaint I have is that when you reach at story ending, at least for me and maybe it was my setup, it did not make it clear the the story had ended.

It just arced back to a previous place (usually with him waking up in his bed). Made me think that the playback messed up. I had to get on here to understand that the story had ended.

I also don't understand that why in some iterations the game is found to be great, in some average, and in some terrible. It was the same game in every choice.

I think the better ratings came as a result of the amount of madness the creator endured while making it. The crazier Stephan got, the better the game turned out. I don’t think it was the same end product in all iterations.
Old 01-03-2019, 01:58 AM

Quote:

Did it look like this?

https://youtu.be/s2-LEBc2sO8
Old 01-03-2019, 02:10 AM
Charter Member

I don't play games such as "Call of Duty," "Red Dead Redemption," and whatnot, but I have sat through trailers and advertisements for that kind of game, and I notice that a lot of them have a CGI person, kind of like an NPC, who interacts with and makes conversational-type remarks to the player.

Am I the only one who has noticed this about these trailers? Also, am I the only one who thought Colin was reminiscent of this type of character? If that was an intentional choice, it was brilliantly executed.
Old 01-04-2019, 01:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smapti View Post
I guess I'd give it two-and-a-half stars out of five.
ISWYDT

We watched it last night. I really enjoyed it. We found 4 endings, but I know there are more.

SPOILER:
Unfortunately for Stefan, I don't think he ever reaches an ending where the game is well reviewed AND stays on the market.

Last edited by Sunny Daze; 01-04-2019 at 01:55 AM.
Old 01-04-2019, 03:45 PM

Quote:
321 Contact was a PBS children's science show.
Old 01-04-2019, 03:57 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I also don't understand that why in some iterations the game is found to be great, in some average, and in some terrible. It was the same game in every choice.
I thought they explained fairly well that it was not the same game.

When he chooses to work at Tuckersoft, he's given a staff and the game is rushed into production and released, resulting in a too-short game that gets zero stars.

When he works at home, makes progress, but later agrees to take the pills, which stifle his creativity, resulting in a game that starts out strong but fades due to the drugs, 2.5 stars.

When he buries his Dad's body, gets caught before he can finish it, they release the game unfinished, 2.5 stars

When he chops up the body, takes his time finishing the game, it gets 5 stars, but then the body is discovered, the game is pulled from shelves.
Old 01-04-2019, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypno-Toad View Post
321 Contact was a PBS children's science show.
Which had a magazine associated with it, which, in the later years, did have BASIC programs (imported from another magazine that went out of print).
Old 01-04-2019, 05:10 PM
Charter Member

Yeah, the section was called "Enter" and you can find it online. Archive.org also has the original (separate) magazine Enter online in its archives to peruse. I don't remember there being a lot of text games, though. Most of the BASIC programs were really short bits of code and not something as extensive as even a rudimentary text adventure. But I haven't seen all the issues. I do remember, though, that the whole of Scott Adams' Adventureland was printed as a type-in BASIC program in some magazine, but I can't remember which.

Last edited by pulykamell; 01-04-2019 at 05:11 PM.
Old 01-07-2019, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Overall very good. The one complaint I have is that when you reach at story ending, at least for me and maybe it was my setup, it did not make it clear the the story had ended.

It just arced back to a previous place (usually with him waking up in his bed). Made me think that the playback messed up. I had to get on here to understand that the story had ended.

Same here. I was pleasantly surprised overall, but after a while it felt endless and kind of frustrating.

I guess the concept is not new to gamers but I have never been exposed to the whole interactive / choose your own ending thing so on that score I thought it was fascinating. Has any other show used this format?
Old 01-07-2019, 11:33 AM

"Enter" Magazine. Some (if not all) the issues are on archive.org:

https://archive.org/details/enter-magazine
Old 01-07-2019, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WOOKINPANUB View Post
Has any other show used this format?
Netflix has done interactive episodes of a couple of their kids shows - The Adventures of Puss in Boots and Buddy Thunderstruck - although the interactive elements were incorporated differently - the story pauses during the countdown, and the characters discuss the choices.

(Also, of course, the major unique aspect of these is not the interactive element, but calling them 'interactive movies/episodes', rather than games or visual novels.)
Old 01-07-2019, 02:20 PM

I'm not really a fan of this kind of fiction. I prefer to be more passive and get lost in the story. One problem I had was that the segments were long enough that I would be lost in the story and then have to snap back to reality to make a choice. And then everyone in the room is giving their input on which choice to pick. I almost think it would have been better to have more frequent choices so we all stay in the 'choose' mode rather than 'watch' mode.
Old 01-07-2019, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by filmore View Post
I'm not really a fan of this kind of fiction. I prefer to be more passive and get lost in the story. One problem I had was that the segments were long enough that I would be lost in the story and then have to snap back to reality to make a choice. And then everyone in the room is giving their input on which choice to pick. I almost think it would have been better to have more frequent choices so we all stay in the 'choose' mode rather than 'watch' mode.
This mirrors (ha!) my impression. I found reaching for the remote and having to make a choice jarring after watching the lengthy segments of more traditional narrative. I did think it was neat that my control was reflected in the protagonist's freak-outs. But I've enjoyed equally cerebral thought experiments in the "standard" Black Mirror episodes too. The cost didn't cover the benefits in my opinion.
Old 01-07-2019, 08:57 PM
Charter Member

Another interesting Easter egg I read about today - in the ending where Stefan listens to his Bandersnatch demo on the bus, the sound that plays is actual ZX Spectrum code which, if you isolate it and plug it into an emulator, launches as a playable version of "Nohzdyve".
Old 01-10-2019, 04:25 AM

I thought it was brilliant. I was shocked to see this had a rating of 7.6 on IMDB. Because it was ambitious, smart, interesting, and engaging. They could've simply done a normalish black mirror episode with a few choose your own story elements, and it would've been fine, but they really made it mentally engaging by examining concepts of an unreliable narrator (mentally ill), making the perception of reality complex, dealing with multiple levels of recursiveness (the book, the game, the meta-aspect of questioning free will and determination).

In particular, the LSD scene was one of the most well-shot, compelling scenes I've ever seen.

It's hard to say this without sounding like an asshole, but I have to guess a decent fraction of the audience weren't really willing to invest the mental effort into being engrossed in it and thought it to be a confusing mess. Which isn't to say that a savvy person couldn't find it flawed, but the average reaction to it seems (unfairly) underwhelmed to me.

It doesn't feel like a pioneering test run into a new way of storytelling, it seems like a deep dive would after we've already examined less complex versions of the choose your own adventure movie. But that's exactly what it was. And so it may stifle the potential of the choose your own adventure genre simply by already being so ambitious and executing so well. Less ambitious attempts at this method of storytelling wouldn't compare favorably to it.

Last edited by SenorBeef; 01-10-2019 at 04:25 AM.
Old 01-10-2019, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenorBeef View Post
It's hard to say this without sounding like an asshole, but I have to guess a decent fraction of the audience weren't really willing to invest the mental effort into being engrossed in it and thought it to be a confusing mess. Which isn't to say that a savvy person couldn't find it flawed, but the average reaction to it seems (unfairly) underwhelmed to me.
I would agree with this. It's a storytelling genre which I don't generally enjoy, so I'm not surprised I didn't find it all that great. It might be like taking someone to the opera who doesn't like opera. For the people who like this kind of genre, I can see why you would like it.