Old 12-30-2018, 01:22 AM

Seen it: Bird Box

I'm not sure what this movie was about, but I think it's an allegory about being tricked into watching a movie because everyone is talking about it. It's on Netflix, which means I'm sure at least one person will go and see it now, muhuhahaha!

I liked it well enough, story is a bit derivative but intriguing, the acting was great, and nicely directed. However, unless theres going to be a Bird Box 2 (and there might be), I feel like there were too many unanswered questions and loose ends for my taste.
Old 12-30-2018, 01:27 AM
Charter Member

You nailed it, especially the first sentence. Good acting but the story was a mishmash of shit. Obviously I can suspend disbelief about the entity but so much of the rest of it was absurd and inconsistent. I didnít like it at all.
Old 12-30-2018, 05:21 AM
Charter Member

I admit I have not seen the movie, but the book was no better which has me truly confused about the amount of fawning it's received. Now that I think about it the book really reads like a movie script...

[man enter from left] And now I'm going to KILL YOU ALL! (for some reason)?
Old 12-30-2018, 05:43 AM
Charter Member

My daughter watched it yesterday, possibly because one of the girls in her school’s Theatre department got to be in the final scene.
Old 12-30-2018, 09:12 AM

I watched it and thought it was pretty good. I like Lovecraftian horror, but most examples of it are a combination of terrible and amateur. This was not a great movie, but it was good and I'm glad I watched it.

I think the idea of being hunted at random by invisible predators is terrifying in as a concept but not yet executed to perfection (see also: Final Fantasy, Spectral). The idea of seeing something so awful that the person is immediately compelled to suicide is also terrifying to contemplate but literally impossible to depict in a movie. Survival horror is also a winner, and they did an okay job of it. In short, I think they could have milked the premises to wring more horror out of it, but they chose not to. That makes me sad.

I agree that many parts of the story were very contrived, but my specific comments will follow in the Spoilers.

SPOILER:

1. The entities are invisible and otherwordly and apparently intangible, but they can't go inside buildings. WTF? I get that if there was no safe place the movie would be very, very short but still.

2. Having some people become crazed cultists is a decent Lovecraftian note but was never really exploited. They seemed like a lazy way to circumvent the fact that the entities don't enter buildings, and move the plot forward,

3. Gasoline goes bad after a few months. I get that this is a common post-apocalyptic trope, but how do they still have fuel and electricity? ('Into the Forest' was more realistic.) Nobody should be driving five-year old cars.

4. How does she find her way to a boat and the river? And what is the point of the birds? They warn her when the entities come, but we already know they can't hurt her if she doesn't look. And if the entities are not around, she still doesn't think it is safe to look. So it seems kind of pointless.

5. Okay, so I get that a school full of blind people would be well equipped to survive the entities, but nothing else about the premise makes sense. On the inside, the school is like a fortress or some kind of monastery, and they say they have ample food supplies for dozens of people. That must be one hell of a school.

6. The most horrible thing in the movie is that Bullock has to choose which of her children will die horribly, so that she and the other child can survive. This is a terrifying thing, but I don't think they really milked it for all it was worth.

7. After deciding to risk it, they don't seem to have much problem navigating the rapids. It reminds me of one of those pitch meetings on Screenrant... "Super easy, barely an inconvenience!" I get that narratively, the whole point was to force an emotional decision and then have the group capsize and split up. But if a blindfolded five-year old can swim to safety, I guess the rapids must not be very dangerous, after all.

Last edited by JB99; 12-30-2018 at 09:15 AM.
Old 12-31-2018, 09:47 AM

I enjoyed it, though I also agree with all the criticism that's been made here. One thing that stood out - and I almost never comment on this kind of thing - is Sandra Bullock's makeup.She doesn't seem like she's a vain person; I wonder who's idea it was that she'd have full makeup on the whole time. Again, with all the suspension of disbelief required for this kind of film it's not exactly the biggest problem, but it seems like we're getting past the days of actors needing to be in full face paint regardless of the story line. Maybe it was just more obvious because the rest of the cast (aside from hunk, Tom)is very average looking. I enjoyed the fact that is was a realistic mixture of people and not a bunch of white, Hollywood beauties.
Old 01-05-2019, 10:34 PM

I have not seen it and I have a simple question. Is it worth watching? Netflix seems to think I'd love it, but they may be a bit biased.
Old 01-05-2019, 10:53 PM
One of Cecil's six friends
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regallag_The_Axe View Post
I have not seen it and I have a simple question. Is it worth watching? Netflix seems to think I'd love it, but they may be a bit biased.
For the price? Sure. My time is not that precious.
Old 01-05-2019, 10:56 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regallag_The_Axe View Post
It was pretty good. The parts with Sandra Bullock alone with the kids is great. The "flashback" stuff(over half the movie) is OK at best.
Old 01-05-2019, 11:10 PM

Terrible movie, it's like they just pulled a Frankenstein and stitches together A Quiet Place and The Happening, just unoriginal dreck. And she named the kids boy and girl, give me a fucking break, NOBODY would do that!!!
Old 01-05-2019, 11:32 PM
Charter Member

Just saw it and...yeah...it's not great.
I can't say I'm surprised because as I mentioned the book ain't so hot either.

If you have Netflix it's a alright excuse to have a coke and bowl of popcorn. I would not seek it out if I didn't have Netflix.
Old 01-06-2019, 12:08 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoid View Post
If you have Netflix it's a alright excuse to have a coke and bowl of popcorn. I would not seek it out if I didn't have Netflix.
I told my wife when it ended, "Yeah, the studio that made this was right to sell it to Netflix." Would have bombed at the box office, but selling to Netflix:

1. You get all the money/profit right up front.

2. People will actually see your movie.
Old 01-06-2019, 05:11 AM

I liked it, mostly because of Sandra Bullock. It did seem derivative. I would still recommend it to others, however.
Old 01-06-2019, 05:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pool View Post
Terrible movie, it's like they just pulled a Frankenstein and stitches together A Quiet Place and The Happening, just unoriginal dreck. And she named the kids boy and girl, give me a fucking break, NOBODY would do that!!!
I agree--it's bad. It started out okay with the chaos of the initial attack, but then just got worse and worse. The ending was stupid and unsatisfying.
Old 01-06-2019, 07:03 AM
Charter Member

I liked it.

Normally horror movies don't scare me, so I never get the thrill most people get watching such movies.

The only exception is when the evil thing is an unseen force (like Paranormal, Blair witch, ect). So this was a rare treat for me.
Old 01-06-2019, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB99 View Post
I think the idea of being hunted at random by invisible predators is terrifying in as a concept but not yet executed to perfection
<Arnie>You take daht bahck!</Arnie>

Quote:
SPOILER:
Okay, so I get that a school full of blind people would be well equipped to survive the entities, but nothing else about the premise makes sense. On the inside, the school is like a fortress or some kind of monastery, and they say they have ample food supplies for dozens of people. That must be one hell of a school.
SPOILER:
Maybe it's a school for the LDS blind?

Last edited by MrDibble; 01-06-2019 at 07:39 AM.
Old 01-06-2019, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashtura View Post
I'm not sure what this movie was about, but I think it's an allegory about being tricked into watching a movie because everyone is talking about it. It's on Netflix, which means I'm sure at least one person will go and see it now, muhuhahaha!
Classic.

Quote:
Yes, toss in some elements from The Mist, This is the End, Cell, any zombie apocalypse film, a lot of alien invasion films and The River Wild as well.

We've all kind of seen this film before:
Act 1: Meet our troubled protagonists tra-la-laing through their normal life with some vague media reports of "strange happenings" slowly escalating in the background.
Act 2: Oh my God! It's HERE! AHHHHHH!
Act 3: Welcome to our safehouse full of jerks. You'll be safe here so long as you don't look out the window/answer your phone/make noise/turn into a zombie/see the special light/smell alien farts/whatever
Act 4: Slowly our cast is whittled down through the natural attrition of locking a half dozen morons in a house surrounded by danger
Act 5: We have no choice but to journey to the new distant safe house for nice people.

I thought it was a decent movie though.
Old 01-06-2019, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmith537 View Post
We've all kind of seen this film before:
Act 1: Meet our troubled protagonists tra-la-laing through their normal life with some vague media reports of "strange happenings" slowly escalating in the background.
Act 2: Oh my God! It's HERE! AHHHHHH!
Act 3: Welcome to our safehouse full of jerks. You'll be safe here so long as you don't look out the window/answer your phone/make noise/turn into a zombie/see the special light/smell alien farts/whatever
Act 4: Slowly our cast is whittled down through the natural attrition of locking a half dozen morons in a house surrounded by danger
Act 5: We have no choice but to journey to the new distant safe house for nice people.
TWD made an entire series out of just repeating Acts 3, 4, and 5 over and over.
Old 01-06-2019, 09:08 PM

I really enjoyed it. And I cried at the end when
SPOILER:
the doctor asked what the kids' names were and they said Boy and Girl and the look of horror at what Molly had done washed over her face. She had to keep them at an emotional distance because to become attached to them, to lose them on top of everyone/thing else, she wouldn't have been able to handle that too. I could see myself doing the same in a post-apocalyptic scenario because I might just shut down entirely on the inside.

Sure, I had a lot of "Hey, that's not how that would work" problems, but I was really into it and it scared me enough that I could pretend there weren't those issues.

My bar for horror movies is pretty low. It's not pretending to be something it's not (The Happening) and people were both terrible and good, stupid and smart. Usually movies veer too heavily into one direction and real life is messy. Movies that show messy well gain extra points for me.
Old 01-07-2019, 11:55 AM
Charter Member

I read the book and saw the movie. I wouldn't say either were OMG YOU HAVE TO READ/SEE THIS but I like them both, and have recommended them to folks.

Quote:
Maybe this was explained more in the book, but essentially she called them that as a means to not get too attached to them, thinking there was a better-than-average chance they wouldn't survive. She gives them names at the end, when they get to safety. I thought it was a believable and interesting touch.
Old 01-07-2019, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Athena View Post
Maybe this was explained more in the book, but essentially she called them that as a means to not get too attached to them, thinking there was a better-than-average chance they wouldn't survive. She gives them names at the end, when they get to safety. I thought it was a believable and interesting touch.
And then didn't name Girl after a Disney princess, like her mother wanted. What a bitch.
Old 01-08-2019, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Athena View Post
I read the book and saw the movie. I wouldn't say either were OMG YOU HAVE TO READ/SEE THIS but I like them both, and have recommended them to folks.

Oh I understood the "reasoning" I just didn't find it all that believable.
Old 01-08-2019, 05:43 PM

To me it was Night of the Living Dead (1968) but with flying suicide monsters instead of zombies. Almost exactly the same dynamic and characters inside the house. I kind of wish the ending had been more similar, actually.

Despite all of the logical and logistical ridiculousness (One character early on says, "We don't even know how long we'll have electricity!" Five years later, they still have electricity), I did think it was pretty well-made and worth a couple hours of couch time. I just felt as if I'd seen it all before.
Old 01-08-2019, 08:20 PM

SPOILER:
I find it really hard to believe that she'd be able to find a rowboat and get it into the water all by her blind lonesome.

Also, what was the deal with the whole "you gotta sacrifice one kid" dilemma? What happened to make that unnecessary? They screwed the pooch on that one.

I knew Lil Rel wasn't long for the world. An emotional pleasantly plump black guy isn't destined for a long life in horror movies. But I like the nerdy but helpful characters he always seems to play, so his presence was a plus for me. However, I hated that the fat chick was not only cloyingly sweet but so dumb that she was the cause of almost everyone's demise. I long for the day when the fat chick gets to be the kick-ass heroine who survives at the end.

I thought it was way too pat to have her doctor show up at the school.

I can go along with a supernatural monster that only gets you when you see it. But a supernatural monster that can't manage to creep into the ventilation system or slide down the chimney? Yet it can make the wind blow?
Old 01-08-2019, 08:33 PM

GF wanted to watch it. We did. It didnt do much for either of us. Kinda slow in a few spots. Kinda dumb in a lot more. Zombie/vampire/invisible suicide ghost poxy clips movies are hard to do well. That's why there is such a tiny handful of them. There'd be more if 99% of them weren't Night of the Living Dead retreads.
Old 01-08-2019, 08:58 PM

monstro - Maybe the monsters were also pleasantly plump. Also looking forward to Amy Schumer or Melissa McCarthy making a kick ass horror movie.
Old 01-08-2019, 09:59 PM

Redlettermedia mockingly deconstructed it and now I feel uncompelled to see it.

Of course, I only know about this movie because of the alert I got from redlettermedia itself, so no big deal.
Old 01-09-2019, 06:47 AM
Charter Member

I don't usually watch horror, so I can't compare this with better examples of the sub-genre, though I've seen The Mist which I hated.

I liked this. I think it's the performances that carry it, and they were all excellent. Nobody felt unrealistic or unmotivated, even the bad guys. Some things were left unexplained, but I kind of pieced together justifications for them on my own.
Old 01-10-2019, 11:16 AM

Just finished it.

The concept leads inevitably to a difficult plot logic problem: if seeing the Things causes you to die, how do the survivors know that? Which they resolved, in the first scene inside the house, with a huge amount of hand-waving, prodigious leaps of reasoning, and they might as well have just lowered a god from the ceiling to explain the rules. (Speaking of which ... who told Theseus that looking at Medusa would turn you to stone?)

In hindsight (hah!) they'd have been better off navigating the rapids without the boat. Here we are...jump in and float downstream.

The biggest surprise to me was that the ending was *not* like Night of the Living Dead.
Old 01-10-2019, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashtura View Post
And then didn't name Girl after a Disney princess, like her mother wanted. What a bitch.
I had almost that exact thought, but then decided that since mom was undecided and probably a nicer person than any of those princesses anyway, that naming her after her mom was a good thing.

On another front, I couldn't decide why most people were killing themselves - some here have mentioned "horror", but the ones we saw killing themselves were pretty calm about the whole thing. It probably wasn't a telepathic command, because then I wouldn't expect any acolytes.

And the acolytes didn't seem particularly deranged (for folks whose mission would cause 90+% of the folks they interacted with to die) - they weren't looking to hurt non-viewers - they seemed to want to share something awesome (so, sort Jehovah's Witnesses).
Old 01-10-2019, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsc1953 View Post
(Speaking of which ... who told Theseus that looking at Medusa would turn you to stone?)
Theseus was busy dealing with the Minotaur (and stuff), and probably didn't care that looking at one of the gorgons would turn you to stone. Which was common knowledge, because that was specifically the curse that Athena put upon Medusa (and her sisters) for getting raped by Poseidon. It was such common knowledge that the guy who wanted to bang Danae sent her son Perseus off after Medusa because he'd die looking at her to cut off her head, and with Perseus out of the way the motherbanging could commence.

Last edited by Lightray; 01-10-2019 at 01:06 PM.
Old 01-10-2019, 01:55 PM

Didn't see it, but laughed at the description by Roy Wood Jr on TDS: This is a movie about a white woman cussing at her kids in a boat.

Was he accurate?
Old 01-10-2019, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightray View Post
Theseus was busy dealing with the Minotaur (and stuff), and probably didn't care that looking at one of the gorgons would turn you to stone. Which was common knowledge, because that was specifically the curse that Athena put upon Medusa (and her sisters) ...
Theseus, Perseus, Whatever. So the ancient Greeks solved the problem the same way: "common knowledge".

Did we ever see the birds actually function as an early warning system? I don't recall a scene like that -- given the TITLE OF THE MOVIE you'd think they'd play a bigger role.

About the ending:

SPOILER:
Didn't Malorie and the kids just move from a small house/small group to a larger house/large group? Uh....yay?

It's as if War of the Worlds ended with the Martians in control, except for a building surrounded by a cloud of bacteria.
Old 01-10-2019, 03:47 PM
Charter Jays Fan

I thought it was a perfectly fine movie. It wasn't "The Godfather," but nor was it "Ecks vs. Sever." It had a coherent story, relatable characters, and a sympathetic protagonist who went through an arc. I'm not sure why it's getting such a polarized reaction.
Old 01-10-2019, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsc1953 View Post
Did we ever see the birds actually function as an early warning system? I don't recall a scene like that -- given the TITLE OF THE MOVIE you'd think they'd play a bigger role.
Yes, they distinctly showed the birds freaking out when the monsters were close at least once, maybe a couple of times. And when that one dude was in the house, he purposefully put the birds in that cabinet/fridge thing before he started tearing down the window covers and trying to expose everyone, so he knew that the birds might warn the people. And in the blind school at the end, the guy Sandy is talking to mentions that the birds in their garden/aviary work as a warning system.
Old 01-10-2019, 07:04 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tangent View Post
Yes, they distinctly showed the birds freaking out when the monsters were close at least once, maybe a couple of times. And when that one dude was in the house, he purposefully put the birds in that cabinet/fridge thing before he started tearing down the window covers and trying to expose everyone, so he knew that the birds might warn the people. And in the blind school at the end, the guy Sandy is talking to mentions that the birds in their garden/aviary work as a warning system.
She first noticed it in the market when the guy was let out of the freezer. Thatís why she grabbed them in the first place.
Old 01-10-2019, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Folacin View Post
On another front, I couldn't decide why most people were killing themselves - some here have mentioned "horror", but the ones we saw killing themselves were pretty calm about the whole thing. It probably wasn't a telepathic command, because then I wouldn't expect any acolytes.
The short answer is, for all intents and purposes, "magic". Basically different flavors of the same tech Amy Adams experienced in Arrival and Natalie Portman experienced in Annihilation. At least The Happening had some sort of chemical basis to it.

The closest real world parallel I can think of would be a strobe light triggering an epileptic seizure. Except in this case, everyone is susceptible and either becomes suicidal or insane.

A valid question as to how they figured out the rule though. Everyone who looked at that thing I didn't see killed themselves!
Old 01-11-2019, 07:51 AM

They showed some of the people saying "Look at it, it's beautiful" or some such before killing themselves. It wasn't too hard to figure out. I think we as viewers could figure it out before we were explicitly told so I don't see why there's a question about how the characters figured it out.
Old 01-11-2019, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gus Gusterson View Post
They showed some of the people saying "Look at it, it's beautiful" or some such before killing themselves. It wasn't too hard to figure out. I think we as viewers could figure it out before we were explicitly told so I don't see why there's a question about how the characters figured it out.
Not wishing to continue beating this horse...but I will anyway. IIRC, the first loony to say "look at it, it's beautiful" was Gary, the guy they let into the house. This was after the blindfolded grocery run.

(Earlier in the film we saw the guy in the river say the same thing while attacking Malorie and the kids. But this was 5 years later.)
Old 01-11-2019, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB99 View Post
I watched it and thought it was pretty good. I like Lovecraftian horror, but most examples of it are a combination of terrible and amateur. This was not a great movie, but it was good and I'm glad I watched it.

I think the idea of being hunted at random by invisible predators is terrifying in as a concept but not yet executed to perfection (see also: Final Fantasy, Spectral). The idea of seeing something so awful that the person is immediately compelled to suicide is also terrifying to contemplate but literally impossible to depict in a movie. Survival horror is also a winner, and they did an okay job of it. In short, I think they could have milked the premises to wring more horror out of it, but they chose not to. That makes me sad.

I agree that many parts of the story were very contrived, but my specific comments will follow in the Spoilers.

SPOILER:

1. The entities are invisible and otherwordly and apparently intangible, but they can't go inside buildings. WTF? I get that if there was no safe place the movie would be very, very short but still.

2. Having some people become crazed cultists is a decent Lovecraftian note but was never really exploited. They seemed like a lazy way to circumvent the fact that the entities don't enter buildings, and move the plot forward,

3. Gasoline goes bad after a few months. I get that this is a common post-apocalyptic trope, but how do they still have fuel and electricity? ('Into the Forest' was more realistic.) Nobody should be driving five-year old cars.

4. How does she find her way to a boat and the river? And what is the point of the birds? They warn her when the entities come, but we already know they can't hurt her if she doesn't look. And if the entities are not around, she still doesn't think it is safe to look. So it seems kind of pointless.

5. Okay, so I get that a school full of blind people would be well equipped to survive the entities, but nothing else about the premise makes sense. On the inside, the school is like a fortress or some kind of monastery, and they say they have ample food supplies for dozens of people. That must be one hell of a school.

6. The most horrible thing in the movie is that Bullock has to choose which of her children will die horribly, so that she and the other child can survive. This is a terrifying thing, but I don't think they really milked it for all it was worth.

7. After deciding to risk it, they don't seem to have much problem navigating the rapids. It reminds me of one of those pitch meetings on Screenrant... "Super easy, barely an inconvenience!" I get that narratively, the whole point was to force an emotional decision and then have the group capsize and split up. But if a blindfolded five-year old can swim to safety, I guess the rapids must not be very dangerous, after all.

I also thought this movie was at least OK. There's a lower bar if you can just watch it new on Netflix v going to a theater though.
SPOILER:

1. The explanation I've seen that's most plausible is that what you 'see' looking at the 'beings' is some kind of projection from space, so you can only see it in a place with a line of sight to space. Something like a hologram though not exactly because it also disturbs the air, but a commenter elsewhere said it rustled the trees at the top as well as leaves on the ground (I didn't notice) so supporting the idea it's coming from above. But then there's also the fact that if it could come inside it would be a short movie...

2. The movie could have dwelt more on the people who insanely want others to see it rather that becoming suicidal. But the introduction of those people didn't break my concentration on the movie, seemed plausible enough as presented (in part based on other contagion type movies).

3. Yeah, that one also runs across almost all post apocalypse movies and TV shows with a timeline of years. I gave on The Walking Dead as hopelessly repetitive after a few seasons, I saw clips in later seasons where they ride horses, but I wonder if there weren't still cases of 'finding' working cars after years.

4. I also thought that, that if the birds were an effective detector they'd allow you to peak briefly at least when the creatures/images weren't around. If not, just a curiosity.

5. I though right at the beginning 'blind people!' so the ending was no surprise in that respect.

6. Yeah

7. Also seemed to me that in a hardnosed modern movie (not a classic movie) one or both the kids would die if the adult refused to choose which one to risk. So it wasn't a hardnosed movie.
Old 01-11-2019, 02:58 PM

Obviously, in a two-hour movie they can't possibly explore every possible human behavior or scenario arising from the situation. But one aspect that would have been interesting to explore would be a character or characters giving up.
After a few days, weeks, or months, with little to no hope of the world ever returning to normal, I could definitely see some people saying, "screw this," and going outside to look, or perhaps taking matters into their own hands and ending it in a less violent manner.

Yes, the film is ultimately about the urge to survive, but I think it would have been rather compelling to see a secondary character take this route, or at least consider it. (In my opinion, the people who died on Day 1 were the lucky ones.)
Old 01-11-2019, 03:02 PM

Ironic thread title.
Old 01-11-2019, 03:10 PM
Charter Member

The more intriguing thing to me would be to do what they did with the neighbor who watched the entity on the security camera but better. They could have totally immobilized him and seen if it wears off and then maybe he is now immune.
Old 01-11-2019, 06:15 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheelz View Post
After a few days, weeks, or months, with little to no hope of the world ever returning to normal, I could definitely see some people saying, "screw this," and going outside to look, or perhaps taking matters into their own hands and ending it in a less violent manner.
I think that's why the kids took off in the car.
Old 01-11-2019, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuanoLad View Post
I think that's why the kids took off in the car.
I was thinking they just wanted to find a house of their own - or maybe went to live in the supermarket.

You may be right, though.
Old 01-11-2019, 10:39 PM

The point of the birds is not really to warn about the monsters. The birds can tell the difference between safe and dangerous people.

I found it to be ultimately a waste of my time. Even more so a waste of John Malkovich's time. Why on earth did they need him for that nothing role?

There was something a bit healing about watching Sandra Bollock face Sophie's choice and do the right thing. I felt like an old grudge was finally resolved within me.
Old 01-11-2019, 11:59 PM

I thought it was entertaining if a bit cliche. I liked that they didn't explain everything. You don't need answers for everything. Especially things the characters wouldn't ever know. The main character has an arc even if it was a simplistic one. And the type of apocalypse has been done before but it was not something we've seen a hundred times. I didn't feel like my time was wasted.