Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 12-30-2018, 02:27 PM
ThelmaLou's Avatar
ThelmaLou ThelmaLou is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Neither here nor there
Posts: 14,741
Anyone watch "Corner Gas"? (Canadian sitcom)

I stumbled onto it a couple of days ago and I've been binging ever since. It's available to stream on Amazon Prime.

It's quirky ensemble comedy set in a nowhere town in Saskatchewan called Dog River. Guy owns a gas station that rents videos. His coworker is a slightly cynical grammar maven. Cute girl inherits cafe next door. Goofy best friend, cranky dad, long-suffering mom. Two cops, male and female. The flavor of it is kind of a combination of Seinfeld and Taxi, with hints of Northern Exposure.

I've been watching tons of cop/crime/murder shows recently when I'm not reading the news, and this show is a welcome break from both. Even though it's as far from Jewish-urban as you can get, it's like Seinfeld, because it's about nothing. It's light, witty, a little wacky, and not the least bit topical or timely. It's balm for the battered mind.

This is season 1/episode 1:
Quote:
Dog River, Saskatchewan is a town where not much happens and the locals like it that way. So when Brent Leroy starts renting videos at his corner gas station and a big city girl from Toronto moves in to run the coffee shop next door, it's either a sign of the apocalypse or a chance for Dog River to finally have a decent cup of coffee.
__________________
“Our government may at some time be in the hands of a bad man. When in the hands of a good man it is all well enough.” But “we ought to have our government so shaped that even when in the hands of a bad man we shall be safe.” Frederick Douglass
  #2  
Old 12-30-2018, 02:58 PM
Alpha Twit's Avatar
Alpha Twit Alpha Twit is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Somewhere south of normal
Posts: 1,818
I quite enjoy the show. It’s pretty mindless but I like the characters and the writing is very relatable.
__________________
"A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they shall never sit in."
  #3  
Old 12-30-2018, 03:05 PM
Kamino Neko's Avatar
Kamino Neko Kamino Neko is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Alternate 230
Posts: 15,124
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThelmaLou View Post
It's light, witty, a little wacky, and not the least bit topical or timely.
Should hope not. The live action version ended almost a decade ago. >_>

The animated version is pretty good, too.
  #4  
Old 12-30-2018, 03:15 PM
ThelmaLou's Avatar
ThelmaLou ThelmaLou is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Neither here nor there
Posts: 14,741
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamino Neko View Post
Should hope not. The live action version ended almost a decade ago. >_>

....
Let me rephrase: it is not topical even relative to topics of the day.
__________________
“Our government may at some time be in the hands of a bad man. When in the hands of a good man it is all well enough.” But “we ought to have our government so shaped that even when in the hands of a bad man we shall be safe.” Frederick Douglass

Last edited by ThelmaLou; 12-30-2018 at 03:15 PM.
  #5  
Old 12-30-2018, 03:41 PM
3trew 3trew is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 2,023
As a lifelong Saskatchewan resident, I can assure you that this is not a comedy, it's a documentary. I have met many of the actors. I have met ALL of the characters.

Possibly amusing fact: we were out after work one night, having drinks, and ran into some of the cast at the bar. When one of us mentioned Woolerton, they all, as one, stopped talking and spit, then resumed their conversation as if nothing had happened.
  #6  
Old 12-30-2018, 04:16 PM
terentii's Avatar
terentii terentii is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Moscow/Toronto
Posts: 16,733
My favorite episode so far (I'm sure I haven't seen them all) is the one where Karen pictures Hank as a hunk from a bodice-ripper.
__________________
If a man says something but no woman is around to hear it, is he still stupid?
  #7  
Old 12-30-2018, 04:53 PM
aceplace57 aceplace57 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: CentralArkansas
Posts: 24,816
The cast made a reunion movie a few years ago.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corner_Gas:_The_Movie

It's pretty good.

I enjoyed the first two seasons of Corner Gas. It changed season three with broader more silly comedy.

Same thing happened to the Andy Griffith show. The humor was subtle and character based in the early seasons. It got broad and silly later.
  #8  
Old 12-30-2018, 05:01 PM
hogarth hogarth is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Toronto
Posts: 7,176
Quote:
Originally Posted by aceplace57 View Post
I enjoyed the first two seasons of Corner Gas. It changed season three with broader more silly comedy.
Some of the later episodes are fun from a Canadian nostalgia point of view. ParticipACTION! The Littlest Hobo! The Summit Series! Etc.
  #9  
Old 12-30-2018, 05:50 PM
silenus's Avatar
silenus silenus is offline
Isaiah 1:15/Screw the NRA
Charter Member
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: SoCal
Posts: 50,504
I have Bad Brent's shirt.

Jackass.
  #10  
Old 12-30-2018, 06:21 PM
Leaffan's Avatar
Leaffan Leaffan is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 23,762
It's a very well-written show.

I'm in Ontario, and have never been to Saskatchewan, but it's very relateable. It does venture into topical subjects occasionally when certain Canadians appear briefly in cameos. I'm pretty sure very few Americans would have a clue who they are though.
  #11  
Old 12-30-2018, 07:04 PM
ZipperJJ's Avatar
ZipperJJ ZipperJJ is offline
Just Lovely and Delicious
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Northeast Ohio
Posts: 24,933
I watched this when it was first out, over a decade ago now wow! I liked it, and I turned my parents on to it too. Solidly funny and charming and not risqué.
  #12  
Old 12-30-2018, 07:43 PM
Typo Knig Typo Knig is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Obama Northern VA
Posts: 2,383
I love this show! I think it’s the best-written sitcom ever, and I’ve seen a few.
  #13  
Old 12-30-2018, 10:06 PM
ThelmaLou's Avatar
ThelmaLou ThelmaLou is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Neither here nor there
Posts: 14,741
Quote:
Originally Posted by terentii View Post
My favorite episode so far (I'm sure I haven't seen them all) is the one where Karen pictures Hank as a hunk from a bodice-ripper.
I just watched that one today. "Kiss me, Fish Man!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceplace57 View Post
The cast made a reunion movie a few years ago.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corner_Gas:_The_Movie

It's pretty good.

I enjoyed the first two seasons of Corner Gas. It changed season three with broader more silly comedy.

Same thing happened to the Andy Griffith show. The humor was subtle and character based in the early seasons. It got broad and silly later.
I hate it when that happens to shows. It happened to Monk. I know, not a comedy, but in the beginning, Monk's quirks were interesting and well, quirky, but in later episodes, they became too much and the character was humiliated by them.
__________________
“Our government may at some time be in the hands of a bad man. When in the hands of a good man it is all well enough.” But “we ought to have our government so shaped that even when in the hands of a bad man we shall be safe.” Frederick Douglass
  #14  
Old 12-30-2018, 11:37 PM
Northern Piper Northern Piper is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jun 1999
Location: The snow is back.
Posts: 27,998
Anyone watch "Corner Gas"? (Canadian sitcom)

Quote:
Originally Posted by silenus View Post
I have Bad Brent's shirt.

Jackass.


I have Brent's shirt from the "Shirt Powers" episode.

I also have one of his bar bills.

And have visited Dog River before they tore it down last year. It was only about 40 k from where Piper Clan lives.

Fitzie's grandmother is a friend of ours.

Last edited by Northern Piper; 12-30-2018 at 11:39 PM.
  #15  
Old 12-30-2018, 11:46 PM
Northern Piper Northern Piper is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jun 1999
Location: The snow is back.
Posts: 27,998
I'm also aware of a courthouse where the one-way glass was installed the wrong way …
  #16  
Old 12-30-2018, 11:54 PM
terentii's Avatar
terentii terentii is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Moscow/Toronto
Posts: 16,733
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThelmaLou View Post
I just watched that one today. "Kiss me, Fish Man!"
The one where she has to read a bodice-ripper to an old woman in a nursing home is pretty good too.
__________________
If a man says something but no woman is around to hear it, is he still stupid?
  #17  
Old 12-31-2018, 12:01 AM
The Tooth The Tooth is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Posts: 4,451
I was on the floor laughing at most episodes. Funniest thing to come along in years.
__________________
"It would never occur to me to wear pink, just as it would never occur to Michael Douglas to play a poor person." - Sarah Vowell
  #18  
Old 12-31-2018, 12:44 AM
The Tooth The Tooth is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Posts: 4,451
I consider Patton Oswalt to be America's answer to Brett Butt.
__________________
"It would never occur to me to wear pink, just as it would never occur to Michael Douglas to play a poor person." - Sarah Vowell
  #19  
Old 01-01-2019, 01:24 AM
ioioio's Avatar
ioioio ioioio is offline
Friend of Cecil
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: stuck inside a mobile
Posts: 3,711
I'm watching it on amazon prime as I type this. I caught a few episodes on late night television years ago and was thrilled to discover the whole thing on amazon prime recently. A sweet little show.
  #20  
Old 01-01-2019, 09:49 AM
ThelmaLou's Avatar
ThelmaLou ThelmaLou is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Neither here nor there
Posts: 14,741
It's balm for the spirit in these troubled times. I'm still bingeing. Only 1/3 through season 2.
__________________
“Our government may at some time be in the hands of a bad man. When in the hands of a good man it is all well enough.” But “we ought to have our government so shaped that even when in the hands of a bad man we shall be safe.” Frederick Douglass

Last edited by ThelmaLou; 01-01-2019 at 09:49 AM.
  #21  
Old 01-01-2019, 10:59 AM
jasg jasg is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Upper left hand corner
Posts: 5,714
We tried it last night and in Ep. 1 we found the out-of-sync dialogue a bit disturbing. Lips did not match speech.

Was it dubbed?
__________________
It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into.
~ Jonathan Swift (1667 - 1745)
  #22  
Old 01-01-2019, 11:05 AM
ThelmaLou's Avatar
ThelmaLou ThelmaLou is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Neither here nor there
Posts: 14,741
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasg View Post
We tried it last night and in Ep. 1 we found the out-of-sync dialogue a bit disturbing. Lips did not match speech.

Was it dubbed?
No. They're speaking English. Canadian English, but it doesn't need dubbing. Usually. Might be a function of streaming. Try some later episodes.

I usually have captions on due to my hearing problems and then I don't notice stuff like out of sync.

The other day I was watching an episode of Maigret, which takes place in France but is in English with British actors, and the captions were for an entirely different show.

My motto: this techie stuff is great when it works.
__________________
“Our government may at some time be in the hands of a bad man. When in the hands of a good man it is all well enough.” But “we ought to have our government so shaped that even when in the hands of a bad man we shall be safe.” Frederick Douglass
  #23  
Old 01-01-2019, 11:43 AM
Thudlow Boink's Avatar
Thudlow Boink Thudlow Boink is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Lincoln, IL
Posts: 26,039
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThelmaLou View Post
Even though it's as far from Jewish-urban as you can get, it's like Seinfeld, because it's about nothing.
I would have said it's closer in tone to Parks & Recreation than Seinfeld. But yeah, great light entertainment. I started watching a couple years ago, I think because of someone recommending it here on the SDMB.
  #24  
Old 01-01-2019, 01:20 PM
Leaffan's Avatar
Leaffan Leaffan is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 23,762
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThelmaLou View Post
No. They're speaking English. Canadian English, but it doesn't need dubbing. ...
Curiously, I'm wondering what "Canadian English" means in this context.
Is there a discernible Canadian accent, or idioms?

Last edited by Leaffan; 01-01-2019 at 01:22 PM.
  #25  
Old 01-01-2019, 01:33 PM
ThelmaLou's Avatar
ThelmaLou ThelmaLou is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Neither here nor there
Posts: 14,741
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaffan View Post
Curiously, I'm wondering what "Canadian English" means in this context.
Is there a discernible Canadian accent, or idioms?
That was a joke.
__________________
“Our government may at some time be in the hands of a bad man. When in the hands of a good man it is all well enough.” But “we ought to have our government so shaped that even when in the hands of a bad man we shall be safe.” Frederick Douglass
  #26  
Old 01-01-2019, 01:35 PM
terentii's Avatar
terentii terentii is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Moscow/Toronto
Posts: 16,733
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaffan View Post
Curiously, I'm wondering what "Canadian English" means in this context.
Is there a discernible Canadian accent, or idioms?
Sometimes. For example, I was surprised to hear "drama" pronounced "DRAM-a" instead of "DRA-ma," a la Orson Welles.

Mostly, though, it sounds like I'm back in Minnesota. I'm curious as to how they pronounce "theatre." "The-AY-ter"?
__________________
If a man says something but no woman is around to hear it, is he still stupid?

Last edited by terentii; 01-01-2019 at 01:35 PM.
  #27  
Old 01-01-2019, 02:12 PM
Leaffan's Avatar
Leaffan Leaffan is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 23,762
Quote:
Originally Posted by terentii View Post
Sometimes. For example, I was surprised to hear "drama" pronounced "DRAM-a" instead of "DRA-ma," a la Orson Welles.

Mostly, though, it sounds like I'm back in Minnesota. I'm curious as to how they pronounce "theatre." "The-AY-ter"?
I don't understand any of this.

We, Canadians, mostly pronounce words like drama, and pasta, and Mazda, etc. with the same "a" sound for both vowels, like in santa for example. Is that what you're talking about?

Theatre: Is there any other way to pronounce theatre in English? THEE-a-ter.
  #28  
Old 01-01-2019, 02:21 PM
ThelmaLou's Avatar
ThelmaLou ThelmaLou is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Neither here nor there
Posts: 14,741
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaffan View Post
I don't understand any of this.

We, Canadians, mostly pronounce words like drama, and pasta, and Mazda, etc. with the same "a" sound for both vowels, like in santa for example. Is that what you're talking about?

Theatre: Is there any other way to pronounce theatre in English? THEE-a-ter.
It. Was. A. Joke. Because jsg asked if the show was dubbed because the soundtrack was not synced. I attempted to make a joke.

Canadian English is 99.9% congruent with American English. Any differences in pronunciation are no bigger than differences among states south of the Canadian border.

People say "thee-AY-ter" in South Texas, too. Personally, I say "THEE-uh-ter." People around here say "EYE-rack" for the Middle Eastern country. I say, "ih-RACK."

It was a joke.
__________________
“Our government may at some time be in the hands of a bad man. When in the hands of a good man it is all well enough.” But “we ought to have our government so shaped that even when in the hands of a bad man we shall be safe.” Frederick Douglass
  #29  
Old 01-01-2019, 02:23 PM
terentii's Avatar
terentii terentii is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Moscow/Toronto
Posts: 16,733
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaffan View Post
I don't understand any of this.

We, Canadians, mostly pronounce words like drama, and pasta, and Mazda, etc. with the same "a" sound for both vowels, like in santa for example. Is that what you're talking about?

Theatre: Is there any other way to pronounce theatre in English? THEE-a-ter.
In outstate Minnesota (i.e., away from the Twin Cities), "the-AY-ter" is heard a lot.

I would pronounce "drama" as "DRA-ma." On Corner Gas, Davis called it "DRAM-a" (with "DRAM" like the unit of measurement). The only other time I've heard this was on an Orson Welles special many years ago.

You really pronounce "Santa" like "Mazda"? That's one I haven't heard before!
__________________
If a man says something but no woman is around to hear it, is he still stupid?
  #30  
Old 01-01-2019, 02:25 PM
terentii's Avatar
terentii terentii is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Moscow/Toronto
Posts: 16,733
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThelmaLou View Post
It was a joke.
We cunning linguists love such humor!
__________________
If a man says something but no woman is around to hear it, is he still stupid?
  #31  
Old 01-01-2019, 02:29 PM
ThelmaLou's Avatar
ThelmaLou ThelmaLou is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Neither here nor there
Posts: 14,741
I was an Air Force brat and grew up in different places where people pronounced things differently. I outgrew that humor. But carry on.
__________________
“Our government may at some time be in the hands of a bad man. When in the hands of a good man it is all well enough.” But “we ought to have our government so shaped that even when in the hands of a bad man we shall be safe.” Frederick Douglass
  #32  
Old 01-01-2019, 02:34 PM
terentii's Avatar
terentii terentii is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Moscow/Toronto
Posts: 16,733
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThelmaLou View Post
I was an Air Force brat and grew up in different places where people pronounced things differently. I outgrew that humor. But carry on.
I grew up in such places too. I thought it was delightful.
__________________
If a man says something but no woman is around to hear it, is he still stupid?
  #33  
Old 01-01-2019, 02:44 PM
Leaffan's Avatar
Leaffan Leaffan is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 23,762
Quote:
Originally Posted by terentii View Post
I would pronounce "drama" as "DRA-ma." On Corner Gas, Davis called it "DRAM-a" (with "DRAM" like the unit of measurement)....
I'm not getting the difference here. No big deal, but again, it's not clear to me what you're trying to convey.

Is the first one more like "DRAW-ma?"

ETA: Because Davis' pronunciation is correct for Canada.

Last edited by Leaffan; 01-01-2019 at 02:46 PM.
  #34  
Old 01-01-2019, 04:15 PM
Chefguy's Avatar
Chefguy Chefguy is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Portlandia
Posts: 41,012
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThelmaLou View Post
I stumbled onto it a couple of days ago and I've been binging ever since. It's available to stream on Amazon Prime.

It's quirky ensemble comedy set in a nowhere town in Saskatchewan called Dog River. Guy owns a gas station that rents videos. His coworker is a slightly cynical grammar maven. Cute girl inherits cafe next door. Goofy best friend, cranky dad, long-suffering mom. Two cops, male and female. The flavor of it is kind of a combination of Seinfeld and Taxi, with hints of Northern Exposure.

I've been watching tons of cop/crime/murder shows recently when I'm not reading the news, and this show is a welcome break from both. Even though it's as far from Jewish-urban as you can get, it's like Seinfeld, because it's about nothing. It's light, witty, a little wacky, and not the least bit topical or timely. It's balm for the battered mind.

This is season 1/episode 1:
If you like light comedy with a lot of charm, give The Detectorists a try.
  #35  
Old 01-01-2019, 07:47 PM
ThelmaLou's Avatar
ThelmaLou ThelmaLou is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Neither here nor there
Posts: 14,741
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chefguy View Post
If you like light comedy with a lot of charm, give The Detectorists a try.
I have tried that show a couple of times due to recommendations here, but I couldn't get into it. I'll try again.
__________________
“Our government may at some time be in the hands of a bad man. When in the hands of a good man it is all well enough.” But “we ought to have our government so shaped that even when in the hands of a bad man we shall be safe.” Frederick Douglass
  #36  
Old 01-02-2019, 11:37 AM
Bryan Ekers's Avatar
Bryan Ekers Bryan Ekers is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Montreal, QC
Posts: 58,254
The show's great. It's has the rural quirkiness of Northern Exposure and the smash-cut sarcasm of Scrubs and is better than either.
__________________
Don't worry about the end of Inception. We have top men working on it right now. Top. Men.
  #37  
Old 01-02-2019, 12:16 PM
cgg419 cgg419 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaffan View Post
Curiously, I'm wondering what "Canadian English" means in this context.
Is there a discernible Canadian accent, or idioms?
Skipping all the original aftermath of this post, I have been told more than once by Americans that I have an accent. I’ve lived my whole life in southern Ontario, and don’t notice one in myself or my family and friends.

Last edited by cgg419; 01-02-2019 at 12:17 PM.
  #38  
Old 01-02-2019, 03:18 PM
Chefguy's Avatar
Chefguy Chefguy is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Portlandia
Posts: 41,012
Oh hell, I thought it was free, but I see they whack you $21 to watch it.
  #39  
Old 01-02-2019, 05:27 PM
Karen Lingel Karen Lingel is offline
Straight Dope Science Advisory Board
 
Join Date: Jun 1999
Location: Union City, CA
Posts: 1,262
I watched this years back when it was broadcast on WGN. One of the first episodes I saw was the one with the Security Camera Plays. In fact, the line where Lacey says "Oh, he's just auditioning for the Security Camera Plays" like that's a thing is what hooked me on this show.

Another line that slayed me (but I'm from a Montanan hockey family): "He gets 110 shots-on-goal, but that's only because our defensemen can't skate backwards..."
__________________
-k-
Karen Lingel, Physicist and Penguinist
  #40  
Old 01-03-2019, 12:22 AM
hogarth hogarth is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Toronto
Posts: 7,176
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Piper View Post
I have Brent's shirt from the "Shirt Powers" episode.

I also have one of his bar bills.

And have visited Dog River before they tore it down last year. It was only about 40 k from where Piper Clan lives.

Fitzie's grandmother is a friend of ours.
But have you ever been to the land of rape and honey?
  #41  
Old 01-03-2019, 12:47 AM
terentii's Avatar
terentii terentii is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Moscow/Toronto
Posts: 16,733
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaffan View Post
I'm not getting the difference here. No big deal, but again, it's not clear to me what you're trying to convey.

Is the first one more like "DRAW-ma?"

ETA: Because Davis' pronunciation is correct for Canada.
Nope, there's no "w" in the way I pronounce it.
__________________
If a man says something but no woman is around to hear it, is he still stupid?
  #42  
Old 01-03-2019, 08:27 AM
Balthisar Balthisar is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Southeast Michigan, USA
Posts: 10,843
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgg419 View Post
Skipping all the original aftermath of this post, I have been told more than once by Americans that I have an accent. I’ve lived my whole life in southern Ontario, and don’t notice one in myself or my family and friends.
Of course you (and Leaffan) have accents! I've not heard either of you speak, but I'll assume that you both sound like typical, white Ontarians. I'm a Michigander; my accent is different than yours. Depending on how much US media you consume, you may not realize that we Michiganders have an accent, but we do.

I'm not even referring to the obvious things such as vocabulary ("hydro bill," "railway," "cutlery," "serviette"), or obvious pronunciation differences ("progress," "process"), but much more subtler things, such as the rising inflection at the end of statements at times, or speaking more forward in your mouth (hard to describe). The Ontario accent is a bit crisper, less "lazy mouth" than a typical Michigander who rounds off T's and such.

And Ontario is large. People in the GTA sound slightly different than people in Sault Ste. Marie who sound slightly different than people in St. Mary's. The GTA, in particular Toronto proper, is much more of a melting pot, not just foreigners, but folks from other provinces as well. A lot of them sound like CBC announcers, who tend to not have such obvious accents.
  #43  
Old 01-03-2019, 08:33 AM
ThelmaLou's Avatar
ThelmaLou ThelmaLou is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Neither here nor there
Posts: 14,741
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balthisar View Post
Of course you (and Leaffan) have accents! I've not heard either of you speak, but I'll assume that you both sound like typical, white Ontarians. I'm a Michigander; my accent is different than yours. Depending on how much US media you consume, you may not realize that we Michiganders have an accent, but we do.

I'm not even referring to the obvious things such as vocabulary ("hydro bill," "railway," "cutlery," "serviette"), or obvious pronunciation differences ("progress," "process"), but much more subtler things, such as the rising inflection at the end of statements at times, or speaking more forward in your mouth (hard to describe). The Ontario accent is a bit crisper, less "lazy mouth" than a typical Michigander who rounds off T's and such.

And Ontario is large. People in the GTA sound slightly different than people in Sault Ste. Marie who sound slightly different than people in St. Mary's. The GTA, in particular Toronto proper, is much more of a melting pot, not just foreigners, but folks from other provinces as well. A lot of them sound like CBC announcers, who tend to not have such obvious accents.
Resolved: people in different parts of the United States, Canada, and other countries have regional accents (however mild), pronounce words differently, and use local expressions/figures of speech. When you hear someone speak who is not from your local area, you may notice their accent (however mild) or you may not.
__________________
“Our government may at some time be in the hands of a bad man. When in the hands of a good man it is all well enough.” But “we ought to have our government so shaped that even when in the hands of a bad man we shall be safe.” Frederick Douglass
  #44  
Old 01-03-2019, 08:55 AM
Icarus's Avatar
Icarus Icarus is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: In front of my PC, y tu?
Posts: 4,889
We just discovered the show too, and have been working our way through the episodes (not exactly binging (that's what the kids do.)) Love the dry comedy writing and characters! Although the dad, while a very recognizable type, comes off as a little too harsh right out of the gate. Took some getting used to for me.

My great-grandparents lived on a farm in Saskatchewan a hundred years ago before relocating to Michigan, so I could have ended up there myself!
  #45  
Old 01-03-2019, 12:42 PM
silenus's Avatar
silenus silenus is offline
Isaiah 1:15/Screw the NRA
Charter Member
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: SoCal
Posts: 50,504
When we first started watching the show, back when it was being broadcast on WGN, the wife commented that "Oscar is your father." By the time we got to the end of the show, she was saying "Oscar is you!"
  #46  
Old 01-03-2019, 03:01 PM
Mr Shine's Avatar
Mr Shine Mr Shine is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: UK
Posts: 1,887
I've just binge watched the first 2 seasons in a couple of days!

Could someone explain the lyrics of the title, something I've only bothered to notice through repetition, but I don't really get:

"You can tell me your dog ran away
Then tell me it took three days

I've heard every joke
I've heard every one you'll say"
  #47  
Old 01-03-2019, 03:11 PM
Icarus's Avatar
Icarus Icarus is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: In front of my PC, y tu?
Posts: 4,889
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Shine View Post
I've just binge watched the first 2 seasons in a couple of days!

Could someone explain the lyrics of the title, something I've only bothered to notice through repetition, but I don't really get:

"You can tell me your dog ran away
Then tell me it took three days

I've heard every joke
I've heard every one you'll say"
Saskatchewan is so flat and featureless that the joke is that you could see a dog run away for three days before you can't see it any more. The joke goes "I once heard that Saskatchewan is so flat, you can watch your dog run away for three days."

But more than that, it is an old joke that gets repeated over and over and over (and over again!) He's saying he's heard them all a million times before.
  #48  
Old 01-03-2019, 03:14 PM
Mr Shine's Avatar
Mr Shine Mr Shine is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: UK
Posts: 1,887
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icarus View Post
Saskatchewan is so flat and featureless that the joke is that you could see a dog run away for three days before you can't see it any more.
Yep, should have got that one, there were a lot of flatness jokes and should have put 2+2 together

Last edited by Mr Shine; 01-03-2019 at 03:14 PM.
  #49  
Old 01-03-2019, 03:22 PM
rat avatar's Avatar
rat avatar rat avatar is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Seattle, Wa
Posts: 5,329
I grew up in Wyoming in a family that owned an RV park and small 6 unit depression era motel. When I moved to an area where I could get Canadian TV for free I ran into this show and watched it on youtube, which the creator had uploaded the episodes about a decade ago. They are still there but uploaded in the old 15min limit style with a lot of effort needed to watch them in order.

Edited to add, oops apparently the creator and the distributer classhed and many segments are missing.

https://www.youtube.com/user/CornerGasSeason1

Oddly enough living in the West or PNW I really related to this show despite having mountains.

While a bit more edgy and more insane year to year the early seasons of "Letterkenny" is now on Hulu and if you like this show you may like it too. While not PC, "Letterkenny" also reminds me of my childhood, but so does Napoleon Dynamite.

I do wish crave TV would figure out a way to accept US credit cards or at least publish their content to a US source.

Last edited by rat avatar; 01-03-2019 at 03:24 PM.
  #50  
Old 01-03-2019, 04:02 PM
Gorsnak Gorsnak is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Saskaboom
Posts: 9,083
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icarus View Post
Saskatchewan is so flat and featureless that the joke is that you could see a dog run away for three days before you can't see it any more. The joke goes "I once heard that Saskatchewan is so flat, you can watch your dog run away for three days."

But more than that, it is an old joke that gets repeated over and over and over (and over again!) He's saying he's heard them all a million times before.
You need to add a really long pause between 'watch your dog run away' and 'for three days'. This is a close relative to "Saskatchewan: on a clear day you can stand on a cream can and see the back of your head."
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:48 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright © 2018 STM Reader, LLC.

 
Copyright © 2017