Old 12-31-2018, 12:06 AM

Khadaji's Whatcha Readin' thread -- January 2019 Edition

Well... we made it through 2018. And what a year it was! Seriously was that a 365 day world wide full moon...?

On a more sober note, January will be the 5 year passing of Khadaji. I hope the libraries where you areare absolutely fabulous sir. If you bump in my Mum, say hi and ask her what she's reading.

So what are y'all reading? What are you waiting for release in 2019?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Khadaji was one of the earlier members of SDMB, and he was well-known as a kindly person who always had something encouraging to say, particularly in the self improvement threads. He was also a voracious, omnivorous reader, who started these threads way back in the Stone Age of 2005. Consequently when he suddenly and quite unexpectantly passed away, January of 2013 we decided to rename this thread in his honor and to keep his memory, if not his ghost, alive.

Last edited by DZedNConfused; 12-31-2018 at 12:09 AM.
Old 12-31-2018, 12:11 AM

In Days of Auld Lange Syne...
Old 12-31-2018, 12:14 AM

Ho boy, the power of proof reading: If you bump inTO my Mum... sheesh.
Old 12-31-2018, 10:29 AM
KB not found. Press any key
Charter Member

March Violets by Philip Kerr about a private detective in Nazi Germany.
Old 12-31-2018, 01:12 PM

I will be ending 2018 and starting 2019 with the same author, John Grisham: tonight I'll finish Camino Island (I've been enjoying it; I hope it doesn't go off the rails at the very end!) and start The Brethren.

Happy new year, you guys.
Old 01-01-2019, 05:47 PM
SDSAB

Happy New Year, all! Here's a thread for your favorite books of 2018: https://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb...d.php?t=867972

I just finished The Making of Stanley Kubrick's 2001: A Space Odyssey by Piers Bizony, an excellent art-house book about the writing, production and design of the film. Lots of great on-set photos, pictures, drawings and sketches, including some I hadn't seen before, as well as a lengthy and interesting excerpt from a 1968 interview with Kubrick. Highly recommended for any fan of the movie.

Next up: The Brethren by John Grisham, as Misnomer mentioned. It's about three disgraced former judges running a con by mail from inside a Federal low-security prison.

I'm also listening to an audiobook of Patrick O'Brian's 1978 Napoleonic naval adventure novel Desolation Island, as I continue to go through his Aubrey-Maturin series.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnivorousplant View Post
March Violets by Philip Kerr about a private detective in Nazi Germany.
I just listened to an audiobook of that a few months back, and was underwhelmed. Not sure I'll go on to the other books in the series.

Last edited by Elendil's Heir; 01-01-2019 at 05:47 PM.
Old 01-01-2019, 06:18 PM

Assuming the title should be 2019?
Old 01-01-2019, 07:24 PM
SDSAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by susan View Post
Assuming the title should be 2019?
Yup. I've PM'd a mod.
Old 01-01-2019, 08:01 PM

*points to my post about proofreading*

Old 01-01-2019, 09:43 PM
Charter Member

What do you mean? It does say 2019. It's always said 2019. We have always been at peace with Eastasia.
Old 01-01-2019, 10:39 PM

At war, duh.
Old 01-02-2019, 09:30 AM
SDSAB

No, peace again. Do try to keep up, citizen.
Old 01-02-2019, 09:47 AM
KB not found. Press any key
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elendil's Heir View Post
No, peace again. Do try to keep up, citizen.
Will it be on the test?
Old 01-02-2019, 06:40 PM

I finished Lon Dead by John Dean today. I think if you're a fan of Tana French, you'd enjoy this. It's much shorter because there's a lot less navel gazing and Dean isn't as in love with his cleverness as French, but it has the same vibe and the same "colorful" kinds of characters.

I started Murder on the Menu by Nancy Skopin, I'm not far but I'm thinking Marcia Muller wannabee...

I also started The Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch. I'm tentative since I'm not really a fantasy fan unless you've put a LOT of work into the world building.....

On a related note, those of you on Goodreads: have your progress update buttons and progress disappeared on the home page? I tried on Firefox, Chrome and on my phone, nada.

Last edited by DZedNConfused; 01-02-2019 at 06:40 PM.
Old 01-02-2019, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DZedNConfused View Post
On a related note, those of you on Goodreads: have your progress update buttons and progress disappeared on the home page?
Not for me; just tried in Chrome.
Old 01-02-2019, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misnomer View Post
Not for me; just tried in Chrome.
Just checked again and they're back now. I guess it was gremlins....
Old 01-02-2019, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DZedNConfused View Post

On a related note, those of you on Goodreads: have your progress update buttons and progress disappeared on the home page? I tried on Firefox, Chrome and on my phone, nada.
Just heard from Goodreads, the Currently Reading section has been under maintenance, but is now fixed. So there's me freaking out over nothing
Old 01-03-2019, 08:35 AM
Charter Member

* a moment of silence for Khadaji *

I'm still reading Flight or Fright, a short story anthology edited by Stephen King and Bev Vincent. Mostly it's good, though I had to skim a couple of the tales because they were so boring. However, Joe Hill's contribution brought me to tears. I'm really glad I don't have to fly anytime soon.
Old 01-04-2019, 01:17 PM

Last month I posted that I would be reading The Road to Jonestown, a biography of Jim Jones. Maybe it's the historian in me, but I just couldn't get into it. I read the first couple of chapters and then gave up. Perhaps I'll try again in a few months. Some light summer reading, donchaknow.

For our winter holiday we spent a week on the Oregon coast, not doing shit other than drinking coffee, watching gorgeous sunsets, and reading. I read most of Ken Follett's Whiteout, about the theft of a Ebola-like virus from a biomedical research facility in the Scottish highlands during a blizzard over Christmas. Since it's Ken Follett it has a bit too much lusty romance for my tastes, but otherwise it's an excellent book.

Since this the the thread for bookworms, I'm going to go off on a tangent and ask a question that's been bugging me. Several years ago I came across a book in Powell's that looked interesting. It was about a girl / young woman who disappears on a family vacation. She had gone for a walk or something and simply never returned. I don't remember the name of the author or the title. Does that ring a bell for anyone? I seem to recall the cover had a picture of some trees and fog. Not much to go on, I know. I've googled various search terms but haven't found it. Since this is the Dope I'm sure someone will come along in about 3 minutes and know exactly the book I'm talking about. At the time I thought it would be a good read, but didn't pick it up. Of course, now I can't remember enough about it to find it.
Old 01-04-2019, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancia View Post
Since this the the thread for bookworms, I'm going to go off on a tangent and ask a question that's been bugging me. Several years ago I came across a book in Powell's that looked interesting. It was about a girl / young woman who disappears on a family vacation. She had gone for a walk or something and simply never returned. I don't remember the name of the author or the title. Does that ring a bell for anyone? I seem to recall the cover had a picture of some trees and fog. Not much to go on, I know. I've googled various search terms but haven't found it. Since this is the Dope I'm sure someone will come along in about 3 minutes and know exactly the book I'm talking about. At the time I thought it would be a good read, but didn't pick it up. Of course, now I can't remember enough about it to find it.
If you get no response here, I recommend trying on Goodreads. They have an excellent group devoted to asking the name of books. They've helped me relocate several books I read as a teen.

What's the Name of That Book?

You do need an account there, but it's easy to set one up.

Last edited by DZedNConfused; 01-04-2019 at 07:09 PM.
Old 01-04-2019, 08:37 PM
Elephant Whisperer

About 4/5 through The Brothers Karamazov, by Fyodor Dostoevsky, and enjoying it.
Old 01-07-2019, 03:28 PM
Charter Member

The first new book of the new year is a self-help book, Dale Carnegie's How to Stop Worrying and Start Living. My assignments for today are to "shut the iron doors on the past and the future. Live in day-tight compartments" and also "Keep busy. The worried person must lose himself in action, lest he wither in despair. Don't forget to reward yourself by fucking off on the internet."

Okay, I added that last part myself, but I think it's good. Probably it'll be in the next revision.

Last edited by Dung Beetle; 01-07-2019 at 03:29 PM. Reason: What, me worry about coding? Nah
Old 01-08-2019, 10:34 AM
SDSAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancia View Post
...Since this the the thread for bookworms, I'm going to go off on a tangent and ask a question that's been bugging me. Several years ago I came across a book in Powell's that looked interesting. It was about a girl / young woman who disappears on a family vacation. She had gone for a walk or something and simply never returned. I don't remember the name of the author or the title....
The Shack by William P. Young, a novel with strong Christian themes of grief, acceptance and forgiveness, starts like that, but I suspect it's not the book you're thinking of.
Old 01-08-2019, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dung Beetle View Post
My assignments for today are to "shut the iron doors on the past and the future. Live in day-tight compartments" and also "Keep busy. The worried person must lose himself in action, lest he wither in despair. Don't forget to reward yourself by fucking off on the internet."

Okay, I added that last part myself, but I think it's good. Probably it'll be in the next revision.
LOL I like your version better.
Old 01-08-2019, 11:28 AM
Charter Member

I'm rewarding myself right now!

Today's lessons were something about cooperating with the inevitable, not sweating the small stuff, not trying to get revenge on people...I've got that nailed already, so I skipped right to dessert.
Old 01-08-2019, 12:53 PM
Charter Member

Once again attempting Daughter of Smoke and Bone. I just kinda lost interest the first time, I think because the narrative shifted to characters I wasn't as interested in. It's the first in a trilogy.
Old 01-08-2019, 04:48 PM

Finished Toucan Keep a Secret, a cozy mystery by Donna Andrews, which I enjoyed.

Now I'm reading The Daleth Effect, by Harry Harrison.
Old 01-08-2019, 04:58 PM

Found it: Descent by Tim Johnston. It sounds a bit darker than I remember, but I'm adding to to my Amazon wish list, so I'll get to it eventually.
Old 01-08-2019, 09:34 PM
Charter Member

I was on a long trip south, so I read a Southern book: All the King's Men. Absolutely beautiful language, marred principally by the protagonist's casual, and historically accurate, racism, that comes across as just assumed by the author. I know you gotta read people within context, but the amount of n-words crapped around the book were more than a little distracting. But if you can set that aside, what a gorgeous bit of prose, with some really compelling characters.

Then I read Trail of Lightning, a postapocalyptic book set on the Dineh (Navajo) reservation. Once the author described the wall built by the Dineh to protect their land, I knew I was in for a treat. It follows pretty standard fantasy plotting, but was a fun read.

Then it was off to the children's chapter book Unbeatable Squirrel Girl. OmiGOD, y'all. I was gigglesnorting on the plane all the way back north. If there's the tiniest chance that you'll enjoy a children's chapter book about an optimistic girl with a full set of squirrel superpowers, you gotta read this. I've read a single issue of the comic before and thoroughly enjoyed it; this was even more up my alley.

I've started Miles Morales, but don't know when I'll get to finish it.
Old 01-08-2019, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Left Hand of Dorkness View Post

Then it was off to the children's chapter book Unbeatable Squirrel Girl. OmiGOD, y'all. I was gigglesnorting on the plane all the way back north. If there's the tiniest chance that you'll enjoy a children's chapter book about an optimistic girl with a full set of squirrel superpowers, you gotta read this. I've read a single issue of the comic before and thoroughly enjoyed it; this was even more up my alley.

I've started Miles Morales, but don't know when I'll get to finish it.
Squirrelgirl ROCKS! She beat Thanos too, ya know?
Old 01-08-2019, 11:00 PM
Elephant Whisperer

Finished The Brothers Karamazov, by Fyodor Dostoevsky, his final novel. In fact, I have read he meant for it to be three times longer, and if so I can see where he could have continued at least a couple of story lines had he lived longer. In 19th-century Russia, ethical debates of God, free will and morality are pursued amid a backdrop of the murder of the patriarch of the Karamazov family. Very good. This is my second Dostoevsky, having read Crime and Punishment about 35 years ago, and I think I liked that one a little better. But this one is good. I do have a liking for 19th-century writers including the Russians, having read the major works of Tolstoy already. I hope to explore more of Dostoevsky in the near future.

Next up is Land Sharks, a first novel by local writer Katharine M. Nohr. A female triathlete who is also a lawyer teams up with another lawyer who is also a Hawaiian TV star to solve a high-profile case involving a man who claims he was paralyzed during the Honolulu Olympic triathlon trials. Supposed to be the first of a series. I obtained this book in a novel (heh) way. On Christmas Eve last month, the wife and I attended our neighbor's Christmas party, where there was a gift exchange. You know the kind -- you bring a gift, put it with the others, everyone draws a number etc. I ended up with this book, which on the front had a note stuck on saying the author was here to sign it. "You mean here in Hawaii?" I asked. No, she was there at the party. And she did sign it and included a nice note. So this is one book I can't sell or give away. Hope it's good!

The author is herself a lawyer, an insurance defense attorney. The jacket blurb also describes her as -- and maybe Elendil's Heir can shed some light on exactly what this is -- "a former District Court (per diem) Judge." Not sure what the "per diem" refers to. Temporary? Fill in? The book also seems to be a first edition, published in May 2016, hardback, but already there are three pages of blurbs praising the book in front. I thought those appeared in subsequent printings or the paperback version? And oddly, almost all of them are from officers of insurance professionals' organizations, insurance company executives, physical therapists and athletes, even an "HR Professional." I'm guessing she may have handed out copies to friends and colleagues beforehand for feedback. One of the blurbs suggests Nohr may be the next John Grisham. Well, we'll see. She seems like a very nice lady, and I hope I enjoy the read.
Old 01-09-2019, 12:19 AM
SDSAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Left Hand of Dorkness View Post
I was on a long trip south, so I read a Southern book: All the King's Men. Absolutely beautiful language, marred principally by the protagonist's casual, and historically accurate, racism, that comes across as just assumed by the author. I know you gotta read people within context, but the amount of n-words crapped around the book were more than a little distracting. But if you can set that aside, what a gorgeous bit of prose, with some really compelling characters....
I listened to an audiobook of that a few years back, and really enjoyed it, too. Now I understand why it's such a classic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siam Sam View Post
...The author is herself a [Hawaii] lawyer, an insurance defense attorney. The jacket blurb also describes her as -- and maybe Elendil's Heir can shed some light on exactly what this is -- "a former District Court (per diem) Judge." Not sure what the "per diem" refers to. Temporary? Fill in?....
Looks like it. I hadn't heard the phrase before: http://www.courts.state.hi.us/courts...rdiem/per_diem
Old 01-09-2019, 01:07 AM

About two thirds of the way through
Tolstoy's Anna Karenina on my phone.

Almost finished Christian Cameron's The Great King from the library.

Started reading The Hobbit to my four year old. It's
taken us a week to get through chapter one. He tends to fall asleep after a couple of pages. Which is great cause then I can get back to Tolstoy.
Old 01-09-2019, 01:16 AM
Elephant Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisiate View Post
About two thirds of the way through
Tolstoy's Anna Karenina on my phone.
I liked that one. Also good is the several instances in the Peanuts comic strips where Snoopy keeps thinking, "There’s no way in the world that Anna Karenina and Count Vronsky could ever have been happy."
Old 01-09-2019, 01:22 AM
Elephant Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elendil's Heir View Post
Looks like it. I hadn't heard the phrase before: http://www.courts.state.hi.us/courts...rdiem/per_diem
Thanks. I have almost five years total in encountered that before.Hawaii under my belt, counting my previous time here too, but I've not encountered that term before.
Old 01-09-2019, 04:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siam Sam View Post
I liked that one. Also good is the several instances in the Peanuts comic strips where Snoopy keeps thinking, "There’s no way in the world that Anna Karenina and Count Vronsky could ever have been happy."
Dude spoilers
Old 01-09-2019, 07:59 AM

I'm finally tossing in the towel on Hobbes' Leviathan. It was interesting in the beginning, especially when he's trying to define human behavior and talking about religion, but when he gets into politics, it loses its savor.

I picked up a copy of Exploring Newcastle. we went to visit Newcastle many years ago, and this Irish book giving the history of the site came out since. I found it in a used book store (there are still a few about), and it's fascinating. Apparently they put up a Visitor Center (or Visitor Centre) since we visited, and now I want to go back. A very quick read.

While cleaning up I stumbled across a copy of William Goldman's The Princess Bride, which I've been meaning to read since long before the Rob Reiner movie (the original paperback cover called it "A HOT Fairy tale", which made it sound like a porn take on Sleeping Beauty*. That might be one reason I hadn't gotten around to reading it.) I didn't recall picking it up, but we've decided it was probably one of Pepper Mill's purchases from before our meeting. It's a quick read, too but I'm not yet finished with it.

I also read an old issue of The Magazine of Fantasy and Science Fiction from the 1960s. A lot of the stories in the old pulps have never been reprinted, or are just beginning to be reprinted now as e-books. An interesting slice of SF history.

Not sure what to read next. I've got a Jack Chalker book in my bag that I want to read, or re-read. I have a stack of books on my bedside tabl;e, some that Pepper Mill put there. But nothing really grabs me. Arisia is coming up very soon, and I'll probably get some more stuff there.

*Before you write in -- yes, I know about Anne Rice's SB trilogy. Read 'em, too.

Last edited by CalMeacham; 01-09-2019 at 08:03 AM.
Old 01-09-2019, 06:32 PM

I finished Murder on the Menu by Nancy Skopin. It was pretty obviously her first book, but it wasn't a bad read, I enjoyed the characters and the set up quite well. My only critique is that the time frame was difficult to settle into, the book was printed in 2015 but the technology was more like 2001, except for the presence of the software company. Nikki used a Nokia cellphone (!) and had to call her office to get messages off of her machine there. There was no texting mentioned and one character handed out a pager number. It would have been less jarring had the set the date when she set the scene at the beginning of the book.

I DNFed Murder and Magic by Randal Garrett. I just can't suspend my disbelief hard enough to accept the premise of the Plantagenets and 12th century Europe lasting into the 1960s. The forensic magic was interesting, I wish the practioners of that magic had been less oily and more likeable. Lord Darcy, himself, was something of a medieval James Bond, which sadly made him the only character of any depth in the book.
Old 01-10-2019, 08:37 AM
Charter Member

Ugh, I quit on Dale Carnegie today. I haven't been looking forward to my reading time this week, and my anxiety habit of shredding the inside of my mouth has been out of control. This morning I hit the chapter where he goes full Jesus, and I'm out.
Old 01-10-2019, 10:02 AM

Definitely not worth continuing, Dung Beetle! I have to admit, though, "he goes full Jesus" made me laugh.
Old 01-10-2019, 10:39 AM
Charter Member

Black Klansman, which is the basis for the current Spike Lee movie. I was surprised and somewhat shocked to learn that Stapleton Airport in Denver was named for Mayor Benjamin Stapleton, who was closely associated with the KKK during his tenure. That's not the surprising part. What's surprising is that the airport was never renamed, and only disappeared when it closed in 1995. The KKK presence in Colorado was in the tens of thousands in the 1920s and the organization pretty much ran the state.
Old 01-10-2019, 11:07 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Definitely not worth continuing, Dung Beetle! I have to admit, though, "he goes full Jesus" made me laugh.
I'm glad.
I knew he was religious, but it's not usually dialed up to 11 like that. (I'm just full of the movie references today).
Old 01-10-2019, 11:43 AM
Charter Member

In the past week I've gone to two formerly solid standbys: Michael Connelly (Dark Sacred Night ) and ugh... Lee Child (Past Tense: A Jack Reacher Novel)

I'm officially done with Lee Child; they're starting to read more and more like Dan Brown. Between his 50/50 thing and the 'forced narration to get him into crazy situations, it's just become too much. I all about immersing yourself into a story; but when I find myself rolling my eyes while reading the book, it's time to stop.

~sigh~ I'll be looking through this thread for ideas for something new. I would really like to find a book series that I can get into. I think Harry Bosch is coming to an end. It seems like Michael Connelly is about to retire him, literally and figuratively as he has Harry Bosch to age in real time. I thought he was going to try to get Harry's daughter, Maddie, as a next major character; but he only includes her as a side character now, away at college. This last book is the 2nd one that featured detective Ballard pretty heavily. We'll see how that goes. Unfortunately he seems to only publish a new book about once a year, around November.

I'm up for suggestions.
Old 01-10-2019, 11:56 AM

Quote:
I agree!

And me too... read a few of them too.
Old 01-10-2019, 12:26 PM

Finished A Bone in the Throat, one of Tony Bourdain's novels. It's not a murder mystery or a detective novel, but has murder and detectives. It was all right; I'd have suggested a copy editor and someone to say, "It would be good if your protagonist appeared to feel any concern for the safety of others."

Last edited by susan; 01-10-2019 at 12:31 PM.
Old 01-10-2019, 12:29 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enright3 View Post
In the past week I've gone to two formerly solid standbys: Michael Connelly (Dark Sacred Night ) and ugh... Lee Child (Past Tense: A Jack Reacher Novel)
I'm up for suggestions.
About two steps up from Dan Brown (I think--I've never read more than a chapter of Brown's stuff) is William Dietrich's Ethan Gage series, about a nineteenth-century guy who gets caught up in the Napoleonic Wars, specifically searching for mystical artifacts. They're pretty funny, similar to Flashman only the main character isn't as loathsome, not great literature but not bad either. And there's 7 of them. Might be worth a look.
Old 01-10-2019, 12:35 PM

Yesterday I began The Glittering Illusion: English Sympathy for the Southern Confederacy by Sheldon Vanauken. He was a kind of amateur historian (he had an M.S. in History and taught History and English at a liberal arts college) who was a huge Anglophile and wrote the book in 1985.

Very interesting so far.
Old 01-10-2019, 12:43 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

I'm officially done with Lee Child; they're starting to read more and more like Dan Brown. Between his 50/50 thing and the 'forced narration to get him into crazy situations, it's just become too much. I all about immersing yourself into a story; but when I find myself rolling my eyes while reading the book, it's time to stop.

~sigh~ I'll be looking through this thread for ideas for something new. I would really like to find a book series that I can get into. I think Harry Bosch is coming to an end. It seems like Michael Connelly is about to retire him, literally and figuratively as he has Harry Bosch to age in real time. I thought he was going to try to get Harry's daughter, Maddie, as a next major character; but he only includes her as a side character now, away at college. This last book is the 2nd one that featured detective Ballard pretty heavily. We'll see how that goes. Unfortunately he seems to only publish a new book about once a year, around November.

I'm up for suggestions.
The Virgil Flowers series by Sandford is still pretty good. The Dublin Trilogy (four books, actually), by Caimh McDonnell is entertaining. You might also look at the Joe Pickett series by C.J. Box, and of course the Longmire series by Craig Johnson (although the latest one got mixed reviews). The David Robicheaux series by James Lee Burke were good up until (IMO) they jumped the shark. And lastly, one of my favorites was the James Brodie four-book series by Kate Atkinson.
Old 01-10-2019, 01:59 PM
SDSAB

Quote:
...I'll be looking through this thread for ideas for something new. I would really like to find a book series that I can get into...

I'm up for suggestions.
Gladly!:

The Sherlock Holmes stories of A. Conan Doyle - still great period mysteries
The Spenser series by Robert Parker - an ex-cop Boston P.I. solves crimes, makes wisecracks
The Aubrey/Maturin series by Patrick O'Brian - the friendship of a Royal Navy captain and a surgeon/naturalist/spy against the backdrop of the Napoleonic Wars at sea
Old 01-10-2019, 02:21 PM

Quote:

I'm up for suggestions.
If Elendil's Heir can suggest older series, so can I:

The Horatio Hornblower novels by C.S. Forester. I could never get into the Patrick O'Brian series of sea stories, but I found Forester's irresistible. Eleven books plus "The Hornblower companion".

The Judge Dee mysteries written by Hans van Gulik. Djien-Djieh Dee was a real historical individual living in T'ang dynasty China. He was both judge and detective. Van Gulik first translated an 18th century novel about him, then wrote five new mysteries, using ideas from other Chinese stories. Then he wrote a series of other novels, creating a life story that was internally consistent and had surprising continued arcs in it. Since his death, a few other people hve written mysteries involving Dee, and there have been two Chinese movies featuring him (but making him into a martial arts expert, which he's not in anyone's books, although he is skilled with the sword.)

The Ed and Am Hunter mysteries written by Fredric Brown, start with his Edgar-winning The Fabulous Clipjoint. Pretty hard to get, since he's unfortunately been out of print for a couple of decades, but Brown's mysteries, science fiction, and fantasy are definitely worth looking up. He once wrote a story in which the victim is the reader.

Last edited by CalMeacham; 01-10-2019 at 02:22 PM.