Old 12-31-2018, 02:11 AM
2018 Midterm Prediction Winner

Is Holmes and Watson really that bad

Its hard to believe a comedy team like John C reilly and Will Ferrell could produce a bomb. But who knows.

All the bad reviews are making me want to go see it.
Old 12-31-2018, 02:16 AM

I seen a preview it looked like an abrams/zucker parody of holmes films ……..
Old 12-31-2018, 02:32 AM

Well it's a bit like when the US took the ITV series Man About the House, called it Three's Company and totally, criminally butchered it? Well think that, only much worse.

Of course, whether the locals deem it fit for human consumption is another kettle of fish.
Old 12-31-2018, 03:05 AM

It's a sacrilege. I thought the same thing about that weird 'Sherlock Holmes Younger Brother' I think Gene Wilder was in it. Wrong, just wrong.

Last edited by Beckdawrek; 12-31-2018 at 03:06 AM.
Old 12-31-2018, 03:40 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley Clark View Post
Its hard to believe a comedy team like John C reilly and Will Ferrell could produce a bomb.
This is probably the one sentence ever posted on the dope on which I most vehemently disagree.
Old 12-31-2018, 08:01 AM

Right? Will Ferrell is cringe worthy enough and then you throw John C Reilly in the mix.

Blech. No thanks.
Old 12-31-2018, 08:12 AM

I don't know. Individually, Ferrell and Reilly are not untalented. Everything Must Go and Stranger Than Fiction were legit good movies, and Walk Hard was criminally overlooked IMO.

But yeah, Step Brothers was not good. "What could be better than one humongous, massively annoying Man-Child? That's right-- TWO!!!"
Old 12-31-2018, 08:32 AM

Will Ferrell is an enigma to me, he produces utter pedestrian schlock, but then he will also do beautifully weird and funny things like his Milwaukee Best commercials, the Spoils Before Dying on Netflix and an entire movie in rudimentary Spanish. He clearly makes some movies to make money so that he can make Milwaukee Best commercials in Swedish for free.
Old 12-31-2018, 10:30 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

The movie isn't "so bad it is good!"-It is "I've dropped off twice already and I'm done waiting for the movie to kick in so I'm walking" bad. It is as if Ferrell is channeling the worst of Leslie Nielsen, while Reilly is required to be even dumber/duller.
The movie makes Ferrell's "Land Of The Lost" look good.
Old 12-31-2018, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beckdawrek View Post
It's a sacrilege. I thought the same thing about that weird 'Sherlock Holmes Younger Brother' I think Gene Wilder was in it. Wrong, just wrong.
Sherlock Holmes Smarter Brother was funny. Wilder and Marty Feldman were very good together.
Old 12-31-2018, 11:07 AM
Charter Member

If we assume that they did the usual Hollywood stunt of putting the best bits in the trailer, then yes, it's that bad. From watching the trailer, I was able to get the vague impression that they were attempting to be humorous. I didn't even get that much of an impression that their characters were, or were in any way inspired by, Sherlock Holmes and John Watson.
Old 12-31-2018, 11:12 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
If we assume that they did the usual Hollywood stunt of putting the best bits in the trailer, then yes, it's that bad. From watching the trailer, I was able to get the vague impression that they were attempting to be humorous. I didn't even get that much of an impression that their characters were, or were in any way inspired by, Sherlock Holmes and John Watson.
Remember those Saturday Night Live skits from the lean years-the ones shown after midnight? It's like that.
Old 12-31-2018, 11:58 AM

My brothers family gave all of us tickets to see it as a family on Christmas Day, and yes, it really is as bad as the reviews say. It's tediously unfunny, and while a bad joke can usually be forgotten by a good joke soon after, this one just dwells on the same bad jokes over and over and over.

I mean this in all sincerity, I was more entertained watching "The Room" than I was watching Holmes and Watson.
Old 12-31-2018, 12:06 PM

I just watched the trailer and was saddened.
Just a couple of actors shouting or doing silly things (like shooting a gun at a bee swarm or insulting the Monarch.)

Sherlock Holmes is a classic character and his friendship with Watson is well worth filming.

The TV series starring Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman was excellent, as was the film series with Robert Downey Jnr. and Jude Law.
There have also been well-written comedy versions, but this isn't one. It's currently at 8% on Rotten Tomatoes.
Old 12-31-2018, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madsircool View Post
Sherlock Holmes Smarter Brother was funny. Wilder and Marty Feldman were very good together.
Nah, not my taste. But I do accept the correction of the title. Thx. Now I'll know when to skip it over when it comes up on my channel guide.
Old 12-31-2018, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Czarcasm View Post
The movie makes Ferrell's "Land Of The Lost" look good.
I.....I liked that movie.....I thought it was hilarious.

Though I do admit that I don't think Holmes and Watson looks good at all. But fwiw I hate it when he pairs with Reilly. That guy annoys the hell out of me.
Old 12-31-2018, 03:22 PM

There are subjects and plots that Ferrell/Reilly work well for. Never in my life have I ever thought that any Sherlock Holmes story would be one of them. I really have to wonder who thought this was a good idea? From the very earliest trailers I thought it looked dire.
Old 12-31-2018, 03:32 PM

One of my rules is that if the ads/coming attractions don't look good*, the movie will be a bust.

The ads for "Holmes and Watson" are so awful that I'd never contemplate seeing it, even later on TV.

*similarly, I try to avoid restaurants when the food in the ads can't even be made to look appealing.
Old 12-31-2018, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCnDC View Post
But yeah, Step Brothers was not good. "What could be better than one humongous, massively annoying Man-Child? That's right-- TWO!!!"
Only redeeming thing about that movie was hearing Mary Steenburgen shout, "What the Fucking Fuck?".
Old 12-31-2018, 04:26 PM

Too bad. I was going to watch "Holmes & Watson" for Rebecca Hall, who I deeply admire. But I guess I'll pass.
Old 12-31-2018, 07:19 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by glee View Post
I just watched the trailer and was saddened.
Just a couple of actors shouting or doing silly things (like shooting a gun at a bee swarm or insulting the Monarch.)
Desecrating the Holmes canon wasn't bad enough, they had to defile The Venture Brothers too?
Old 12-31-2018, 08:58 PM

Haven’t seen it, don’t plan to. But I wonder if a good movie ended up on the cutting room floor?
Old 12-31-2018, 09:30 PM

I thought it was below average, but not terrible. Some of the anachronisms annoyed me, like seeing Queen Victoria on the Titanic. As a huge House fan, I enjoyed seeing Hugh Laurie in a cameo as Mycroft.
Old 12-31-2018, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlikTheBlue View Post
I thought it was below average, but not terrible. Some of the anachronisms annoyed me, like seeing Queen Victoria on the Titanic. As a huge House fan, I enjoyed seeing Hugh Laurie in a cameo as Mycroft.
As a huge Rosemary and Thyme fan I loved seeing Pam Ferris as Queen Victoria. I know R&T won't be everyone's cup of tea, especially with men, but damn I loved that show.
Old 01-01-2019, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madsircool View Post
As a huge Rosemary and Thyme fan I loved seeing Pam Ferris as Queen Victoria. I know R&T won't be everyone's cup of tea, especially with men, but damn I loved that show.
Hiring them to redo your garden is like inviting Jessica Fletcher to a family reunion.
Old 01-01-2019, 12:06 AM

Saw a review that eviscerated it, only to conclude that you could do worse.

You know, by seeing WELCOME TO MARWEN.
Old 01-01-2019, 01:02 PM

Saw it last night and let me say...thank God for AMC A-List. The movie wasn't so much a movie as it was a collection of scenes. Things just happened randomly and the bits were painfully unfunny.

The only interesting part of the movie was the song everyone sung...and that's really only because it was written by Alan Menken.

BTW, the movie is so bad and test audiences hated it so much that Columbia tried to sell it to Netflix and they turned them down.
Old 01-01-2019, 05:31 PM

It apparently tested so badly with test audiences that Netflix passed on it.

That means two things: Sony knew it wasn't good for mass appeal, since they tried to foist it off on Netflix. And, two, Netflix didn't think it was good even for those who like that kind of movie. And they can handle Adam Sandler movies.

I was actually intrigued by the concept, and the trailer didn't completely sink it for me. But this news definitely did.
Old 01-01-2019, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Czarcasm View Post
The movie isn't "so bad it is good!"-It is "I've dropped off twice already and I'm done waiting for the movie to kick in so I'm walking" bad.
The New York Times concurs.
Old 01-01-2019, 06:25 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoid View Post
This is probably the one sentence ever posted on the dope on which I most vehemently disagree.
Where's that darned "like" button?
Old 01-02-2019, 12:10 PM
Charter Member

It's currently at 8% on Rotten Tomatoes.
Plus there's this review....
https://www.reddit.com/r/MurderedByW...holmes_watson/

Last edited by Bone; 01-03-2019 at 11:19 AM. Reason: fixed link by request
Old 01-02-2019, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enright3 View Post
"Error 403 forbidden"? Dang, that's harsh. But I have to agree with them that "Details: cache-ewr18146-EWR 1546454899 1990287821", even if I'd personally have used less inflammatory language.

Old 01-02-2019, 04:09 PM

Varnish Cache Server is a brutal critic.
Old 01-02-2019, 06:34 PM

I liked them in step Brothers, a Little less in Ricky Bobby, but the trailer for this looked like shit and I knew it was going to be and skipped it. Usually in a comedy trailer you're supposed to laugh and I didn't laugh once. No surprises here.
Old 01-03-2019, 12:36 AM

I just saw it tonight.

I felt I had a duty to se it. I'm on a "Bad Films" panel at Arisia in two weeks, and it's bound to come up.

Worse than I imagined it would be. The film plays out like a series of non sequiturs. It's as if they wrote the script like one of those "Choose Your Own Adventures", and they took turns writing the next scene, with each writer determined to write the others into a corner they couldn't get out of. It's one of the few scenarios that makes this script intelligible.

They clearly had some understanding of the Holmes Canon, but either they only had a little, or else decided to subvert it all. You can't compare it to Gene Wilder's The Adventure of Sherlock Holmes' Smarter Brother -- not only did that film have a coherent plot and consistent characters, but Wilder was literarily savvy, as he'd proven with his script for Young Frankenstein, and he played off the Canon intelligently.

This one really is awful. What's amazing is that they had Big Bucks behind it, so it looks freakin' awesome, and they apparently actually shot scenes at the White Tower and in other famous sites. I'll bet the City of London is re-thinking their liberal Filming policy now.
Old 01-03-2019, 01:24 PM
Charter Jays Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalMeacham View Post
It's as if they wrote the script like one of those "Choose Your Own Adventures", and they took turns writing the next scene, with each writer determined to write the others into a corner they couldn't get out of. It's one of the few scenarios that makes this script intelligible.
"It's like Bandersnatch, but the remote's broken. And it's less funny!"
Old 01-03-2019, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCnDC View Post
Blasphemy!

Step Brothers was hilarious.
Old 01-03-2019, 09:28 PM

Let me add my voice: It's a steaming pile.
Old 01-05-2019, 11:01 PM

It's elementary school!
Old 01-06-2019, 02:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelby View Post
Let me add my voice: It's a steaming pile.
Steamers are the worst!
Old 01-07-2019, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmonk28 View Post
Will Ferrell is an enigma to me, he produces utter pedestrian schlock, but then he will also do beautifully weird and funny things like his Milwaukee Best commercials, the Spoils Before Dying on Netflix and an entire movie in rudimentary Spanish. He clearly makes some movies to make money so that he can make Milwaukee Best commercials in Swedish for free.
From what I gather, it's a mix of Will Ferrell being genuinely extremely funny and clever, having a reputation for making C-grade material funny and getting butts in seats so studios chase him to sweeten up projects, and having a reputation for being earnest and helpful and enthusiastic so he willingly throws himself into stuff.

When he's got a say in matters, he makes delightful, odd, funny stuff. But he's also just willing to mug on camera for a paycheck or to help a friend.
Old 01-07-2019, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enright3 View Post
It's currently at 8% on Rotten Tomatoes.
Plus there's this review....
https://www.reddit.com/r/MurderedByW...holmes_watson/
That's excellent.

I like the final section of the Rolling Stone review:
Quote:
At one point in Holmes & Watson, a character goes undercover as a manure salesman and begins screaming, “Horseshit for sale! Will anyone buy my horse’s shit?” It’s the one genuinely honest, self-aware moment in the movie.