Old 01-02-2019, 04:36 PM

Netflix for one month, recommend some original programming

I have Netflix for one month. I got it so I could watch MST3K: The Gauntlet, which was awesome by the way.

I'm definitely going to re-watch Deathnote because I do every year. The Dragon Prince is also on my radar.

What else that is a Netflix Original should I watch? Why only Netflix Originals, because everything else (like movies) I can get elsewhere.

I like sci-fi/fantasy/adventure stuff. Anime and live action is fine. So what's the cream of the crop for Netflix Originals?
Old 01-02-2019, 05:20 PM

In preference order - hey you only got so much time.

Ozark
Stranger Things
Travelers
Altered Carbon
3%
Old 01-02-2019, 05:30 PM

Black Mirror is only on Netflix right?
Old 01-02-2019, 05:38 PM
Charter Member

American Horror story has some great episodes.
Old 01-02-2019, 05:50 PM
Charter Member

Orange Is The New Black is great. And if you only have Netflix for a month, you probably won't be able to watch enough of it to get bored.

GLOW is really good as well. There's only two season out, so you could blast through them pretty quickly. I believe it's a half hour show and it's, what I'd call, a dramedy. In other words, it's not so heavy that you can only manage one or two episodes a day. I'm hoping/assuming, the third season will come out this summer.
Old 01-02-2019, 05:51 PM

The first few seasons of Orange is the New Black.
Narcos
I've heard the Netflix film 'Roma' is excellent
Old 01-02-2019, 10:12 PM

I second Travelers, Stranger Things, Ozark, GLOW, Black Mirror, and 3%.

Also:
Godless - western, about a town where most of the men died in a mine collapse
The Crown - about the current British monarch's early years
The End of the F***ing World - a couple of 'loser' teens rebel
Sense8 - scifi/fantasy about 'clusters' of people who are mentally linked and can inhabit each others' bodies
The OA - a mysterious and charismatic young woman tells her unbelievable story to a group of followers.
A Series of Unfortunate Events - based on the book series.
Mindhunter - about some FBI agents in the 70s who first start to build a profile of serial killers
13 Reasons Why - about the aftermath of teen rape and suicide (trigger warning - these events are depicted on screen)
Lost in Space - slick and fun update of the old family scifi show
The Haunting of HIll House - very well done, very creepy horror series
Glitch - a few people return from the dead in a small Australian town. But why?
Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee - Jerry Seinfeld shoots the shit with a different comedian (in a different car and at a different place) each episode.

I ditched cable, so I watch a lot of Netflix.
Old 01-02-2019, 10:47 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omar Little View Post
In preference order - hey you only got so much time.

Ozark
Stranger Things
Travelers
Altered Carbon
3%
Altered Carbon and Stranger Things are exclusive/original to Netflix and probably two of the best shows period.

Start there. Altered Carbon was probably the best new TV show I saw this in 2018 period.
Old 01-02-2019, 11:14 PM

The Kominsky Method starring Michael Douglas and Alan Arkin is a bit of a sleeper that came out last November. It's funny as hell and also explores the realities of the relationship of two aging men.

It's produced by Chuck Lorre but don't let that turn you off. It's nothing like Big Bang Theory or Mom. There is no laugh track. It's respectful of the characters and subtle.

And it also has Danny DeVito playing a urologist.
Old 01-02-2019, 11:30 PM

The new Voltron is fantastic.
Old 01-02-2019, 11:46 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalC View Post
Black Mirror is only on Netflix right?
For me, this.
Old 01-03-2019, 06:57 AM

Thanks for all of the recommendations. In Canada, we get Travelers off of Netflix and I agree it is great! Altered Carbon definitely looks like my sort of show. If I have time I'll check out Black Mirror and Stranger Things. I appreciate all of the recommendations! (I watched the first couple of seasons of Voltron... so yeah I should catch up on that one too, I'm way behind so that might take my whole month but I'll definitely watch a season to catch up a little). If I like these shows enough, maybe I'll get a 2nd month of Netflix.
Old 01-03-2019, 07:10 AM

I have N
Old 01-03-2019, 07:18 AM

I have Netflix Canada. I'd also recommend.

The Last Kingdom - Saxons vs. Danes historical fiction
Dark - Awesome (and confusing) German sci-fi/drama about a small town and a time travel wormhole.

Bird Box - I thought it was OK but it is apparently massively popular over the holidays.

The Toys that made Us - excellent series documenting the history of huge toy lines such as Barbie, GI Joe, Lego, etc..

ETA... Oh and Black Mirror: Bandersnatch - Just released, and it's amazing! It's a choose your own adventure film. Be prepared to spend 3+ hours on exploring different options.

Last edited by Sparky812; 01-03-2019 at 07:20 AM.
Old 01-03-2019, 08:52 AM
Charter Member

+1 for The Crown and Mindhunter.

Master of None - comedy series with Aziz Ansari. I enjoyed it even though it was obviously aimed more towards millenials than middle aged white guys.

David Letterman's interview series started off great but I didn't care much for the last few episodes.

My sister-in-law turned us on to an interesting documentary series called Dogs.
Old 01-03-2019, 09:14 AM

Add The Ballad of Buster Scruggs to the list
Old 01-03-2019, 09:34 PM

Imho, the best show currently on TV (cable/broadcast/streaming) is Bojack Horseman. It's a dark comedy about a former sitcom star who is trying to hold on to his fleeting fame, and the guilt and self-destructive tendencies that consume him. Sounds cheery, right?

But it's an animated show in which, for reasons never spelled out, half the characters are large anthropomorphic animals. The main character (Bojack Horseman) is, as his name suggests, a horse.

So there's tons of animal-pun-related hilarity, and general zany goofiness. It's endlessly creative and fun. But it has a searingly honest core about loss and addiction and loneliness and depression.

Others shows I've watched on Netflix (some of these are Netflix originals, some not):
The second and third best shows currently on TV (in no specific order): The Good Place (brilliant comedy about a woman accidentally send to heaven when she knows she doesn't belong there) and Better Call Saul (prequel to Breaking Bad)

The Crown (mentioned above, somewhat fictionalized retelling of the life of QE2)

Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt comedy about a woman who was trapped in an underground cult for a decade and then discovers that the world is still there, and has zany friends and adventures.

The Marvel Netflix shows. Each one is a shortish series (usually 10 1-hour episodes) about one of the lesser-known Marvel heroes living and hero-ing in New York. They are vaguely intertwined, so if you think you will like them (and they are generally quite good), start with Daredevil season 1. If you're more on the fence, I think the best one is Jessica Jones season 1, which is about a hard-drinking female private eye with minor (and not generally super relevant) super strength, and the lasting psychological damage she suffered due to her abuse at the hands of her superpowered nemesis.

Santa Clarita Diet A light and fun zombie show which is mainly a parody of suburbia. A very happy very white couple has their life turned upside down when the wife (Drew Barrymore) becomes a zombie. Hijinks ensue.

Stranger Things. If you would like this, you've almost certainly already heard about it. It's good.

Happy Valley. Copy show from England that is more about the life and relationships of its lead character (a 50-something woman with moderately dysfunctional relationships, particularly with her sister) than it is about the mystery. Amazing acting and writing. Similar to the better-known Broadchurch (which is also certainly worth watching if you haven't).
Old 01-03-2019, 09:55 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeepKillBeep View Post
Thanks for all of the recommendations. In Canada, we get Travelers off of Netflix and I agree it is great! Altered Carbon definitely looks like my sort of show. If I have time I'll check out Black Mirror and Stranger Things. I appreciate all of the recommendations! (I watched the first couple of seasons of Voltron... so yeah I should catch up on that one too, I'm way behind so that might take my whole month but I'll definitely watch a season to catch up a little). If I like these shows enough, maybe I'll get a 2nd month of Netflix.
Would love to hear your thoughts on Altered Carbon. It's a great show.
Old 01-03-2019, 10:04 PM

I watched (and enjoyed) Altered Carbon, but it was much, much too violent and gory for my wife.
Dark and Stranger Things are great.
We also really enjoyed Ripper Street, but it's several seasons long.
Old 01-03-2019, 10:55 PM

Oh, yeah - and Dark Matter.

I thought this was pretty great. Sadly, it was canceled on a cliffhanger, but it's well worth watching up to that point.
Old 01-03-2019, 11:14 PM

...the documentary Shirkers. Incredible, brilliant, and occasionally (as a creative) quite soul-destroying.
Old 01-04-2019, 12:20 AM

Pretty much everything I would have said on the live action sidehas already been listed, but I'll still add a few.

-If you like Voltron, I actually thought the new She-Ra and The Princesses of Power is better. Only the first season has dropped.

-The Dragon Prince is also pretty good. It's from some of the team that gave as Avatar: The Last Airbender.

-Hilda is animated series that skews a little younger, but is probably the best of the Netflix Original animated series. It's exceedingly charming and clever.

-As far as anime, it seems only the newer stuff (a lot of which I haven't seen yet) is labeled Netflix Original and a lot of the older stuff I liked appears to be gone. I would suggest Kakegurui and Hi-Score Girl because they are short series and very different.
Old 01-04-2019, 05:47 AM

The Staircase.

I'm surprised it hasn't been mentioned yet. It a series of 3 documentaries about a murder that is as gripping as anything I've seen in quite some time.

mmm
Old 01-04-2019, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahaloth View Post
Would love to hear your thoughts on Altered Carbon. It's a great show.
I should be starting it tonight or tomorrow, so I'll be sure to post something.
Old 01-04-2019, 07:53 AM

I'll second Daredevil. The first and third seasons are excellent.
Old 01-04-2019, 10:14 AM
Charter Member

More documentaries:

The Battered Bastards of Baseball - a look at a short-lived (only five seasons) independent minor league team owned by Bing Russell (Kurt's dad).

"The Toys That Made Us" has been mentioned elsewhere on the board; I see it's getting a third season.

Last edited by Skywatcher; 01-04-2019 at 10:18 AM.
Old 01-04-2019, 10:23 AM

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Bright. Great movie about LA where elves, orcs, humans, and others are living together. Basically, Shadowrun light. My wife will occasionally want to watch it again, which is fine with me.

I second Travelers, Stranger Things, Santa Clarita Diet, Marvel Shows (with JJ and DD s1 being top), and Glitch.

Good stuff! Happy viewing!
Old 01-04-2019, 11:42 AM

I almost forgot possibly the best Netflix show - BoJack Horseman. Yes, it initially just seems like some sort of raunchy stylized animated anti-hero comedy, but soon you realize it's an amazing dive into depression and how those issues can cripple everything. It can at times be the most devastating and hilarious show you've ever seen. Sometimes in the exact same episode.
Old 01-06-2019, 08:58 AM

I finished my annual rewatch of Deathnote on Friday, and then watched episodes 1 and 2 of Altered Carbon on Saturday. I really liked episode 1. Episode 2 was a bit meh. But my friend who really likes it say it really picks up from episode 3 onwards. I'll be continuing to watch it today I'm sure.
Old 01-06-2019, 01:20 PM

Stranger Things, and Schitt’s Creek are worth checking out.
Old 01-07-2019, 12:46 PM

I did the same thing and I loved Norm MacDonald has a Show, Daredevil and the Defenders.
Old 01-07-2019, 01:24 PM

Happy is a show that will either repel or thrill you. You'll know by the end of the first episode.
Old 01-07-2019, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
I almost forgot possibly the best Netflix show - BoJack Horseman. Yes, it initially just seems like some sort of raunchy stylized animated anti-hero comedy, but soon you realize it's an amazing dive into depression and how those issues can cripple everything. It can at times be the most devastating and hilarious show you've ever seen. Sometimes in the exact same episode.
This show goes so deep. I give this post +10
Old 01-07-2019, 10:33 PM
Charter Member

Big Mouth Nick Kroll and John Mulaney are the voices of two pubescent boys trying to deal with what’s happening to their bodies. Nocturnal emissions, creepy authority figures, hormone monsters, the ghost of mega-playa Duke FREAKING Ellington, diurnal emissions, menarche, and embarrassing parents abound.

If you can, also look for Mulaney and Kroll in their Broadway show “Oh, Hello.” Sheer pandemoniumaniacal genius!

Last edited by kaylasdad99; 01-07-2019 at 10:35 PM.
Old 01-07-2019, 10:48 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeepKillBeep View Post
I finished my annual rewatch of Deathnote on Friday, and then watched episodes 1 and 2 of Altered Carbon on Saturday. I really liked episode 1. Episode 2 was a bit meh. But my friend who really likes it say it really picks up from episode 3 onwards. I'll be continuing to watch it today I'm sure.
It continues to improve until the end. It's a gradual increase in quality.
Old 01-07-2019, 11:35 PM

My picks, in order of necessity:

Haunting of Hill House
Bojack Horseman
Daredevil
Old 01-08-2019, 12:21 AM
Charter Member

You should definitely watch Bandersnatch, the movie by the Black Mirror guys, as it is only watchable in full choose-your-own-adventure mode in the Netflix app.
Old 01-08-2019, 08:10 AM

I think Bojack Horseman is up there with prestige television like [b]the Wire[b/], but it's a huge bummer and could see it not being the most appealing show.

Stranger Things is pretty good, especially if you like 80s nostalgia.

I'll have to check out Altered Carbon
Old 01-08-2019, 08:25 AM

Something tells me OP is going to extend the Netflix subscription.....

Another vote for Altered Carbon, and I'm anxiously awaiting season 2 for The OA and Dark as well.
Old 01-08-2019, 10:01 AM

The Crown. I was amazed at how well done a Netflix series could be done.
Old 01-08-2019, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaylasdad99 View Post
Big Mouth Nick Kroll and John Mulaney are the voices of two pubescent boys trying to deal with what’s happening to their bodies. Nocturnal emissions, creepy authority figures, hormone monsters, the ghost of mega-playa Duke FREAKING Ellington, diurnal emissions, menarche, and embarrassing parents abound.

If you can, also look for Mulaney and Kroll in their Broadway show “Oh, Hello.” Sheer pandemoniumaniacal genius!
Big Mouth is awesome. Very graphic and crude, but a very honest look at puberty.
Old 01-09-2019, 07:38 PM

I recommend Stranger Things, Travelers, Black Mirror (including Bandersnatch), and Sense8. Not sure if Travelers will continue for another season or not.

The OA is good as a standalone (but watch for a season 2 later this year maybe), but the ending puts off a lot of people. Same for The Haunting of Hill House--excellent show, but with an ending that not everybody loves.

A Series of Unfortunate Events is three seasons, and it sticks pretty close to the books, though there are some more modern updates to some of the jokes (and a great intro song!). Watership Down is much the same, sticking close to the source material, but the animation isn't that great (the voice acting, though, is superb!)

My girlfriend likes Mindhunter, but I haven't watched it yet. Same for Dumplin'.

Bright has been out for a while, and I enjoyed it, but it's not in my list of favorites. Bird Box seems to be big right now, but we haven't seen it yet. Haven't seen Altered Carbon yet, either.

I also use Netflix to watch old episodes that I can't find anywhere else, like the entire series for Supernatural (don't miss "Scoobynatural"), Cheers, and Frasier.
Old 01-09-2019, 10:33 PM

I think that Person of Interest and Limitless might float your boat, if you haven't seen them already. I think both entire series are still on Netflix, but I don't know whether you can find them anywhere else or not. Older but highly bingeable!

The actual point of Person of Interest kinda sneaks up on you--the plot seamlessly moves from this thing to this other thing. Limitless originated as a movie of the same name, but you don't need to see it to enjoy the series (I've never seen the film).
Old 01-11-2019, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreysonCarlisle View Post

I also use Netflix to watch old episodes that I can't find anywhere else, like the entire series for Supernatural (don't miss "Scoobynatural"), Cheers, and Frasier.

Unfortunately, licensing rules are different in Canada and they dropped Supernatural and some other CW shows.

I had rewatched them all but my son was at season 10 when they pulled them and was pissed. It's odd too, because it's practically a Canadian show anyway.

I've noticed a couple of series that have disappeared before I got around to watching them.

Last edited by Sparky812; 01-11-2019 at 07:23 AM.