Old 01-02-2019, 11:07 PM

Greta Van Fleet aka Millenial Led Zeppelin

I've listened to them for a little over a year now. They released their official first full album a bit over a month ago. In every article written about them they are compared usually in the first sentence to Led Zeppelin. The band consist of three brothers and a friend, and all hail from Frankenmuth, Michigan and range in ages 22 to 19.

Obligatory wiki page: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greta_Van_Fleet

While there are a lot of similarities, guitar riffs, drum profile and the lead singer's eerie similar vocal range to Robert Plant (I think he sounds more like Geddy Lee), they are unique in their own kind of way from Led Zeppelin.

I also am not sure of their audience. Is it young millennials or is it aging classic rock enthusiasts? The crowds seen in their videos is mostly young kids, who don't really seem as into their music as I would expect.

Oh well, I continue to be impressed with them and look forward to more of their music.

Obligatory links to youtube videos:

Highway Tune
Safari
When the Curtain Falls
Old 01-02-2019, 11:30 PM

I, a Gen Xer, love 'em, and my 60-something uncle-in-law, an aging hard-rocker, loves them too. I don't hang out with many Millenials, so I don't know how popular they are among that age group.

We were in Frankenmuth last spring, and it was surprising to see so many GvF albums, posters, etc. for sale in these quaint, old-fashioned German-themed shops. But local boys made it big, so their stuff is on the shelves all over town.
Old 01-03-2019, 12:01 AM

They're okay. The guitar is good; the vocals are good. The arrangements/songwriting are little more than adequate, tho. And they lack the powerhouse rhythm section they really need.

Also, I hate their name. I hate Audrey Horne's name too, but they won me over with their 70s-retro music. Maybe Greta Van Fleet will too one day.
Old 01-03-2019, 12:11 AM

I have some friends who grew up in the Frankenmuth area, and they brought me back a coffee cup with a Frankenmuth logo in exchange for feeding their cat when they went back to see their families of origin. It's a heavily Dutch area, hence the name. Maybe Greta is a cousin, a favorite teacher (a la Lynyrd Skynyrd), their original singer, etc.? (ETA: Never mind, I saw their Wiki page.)

I'll have to check this band out.

Last edited by nearwildheaven; 01-03-2019 at 12:13 AM.
Old 01-03-2019, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nearwildheaven View Post
I have some friends who grew up in the Frankenmuth area, and they brought me back a coffee cup with a Frankenmuth logo in exchange for feeding their cat when they went back to see their families of origin. It's a heavily Dutch area, hence the name.
The name may be Dutch, but the area's all German.
Old 01-03-2019, 12:22 AM

OK, they sound to me like early Zeppelin with the singer from Ratt on vocals.
Old 01-03-2019, 03:12 AM
Soy un pinche idiota
Charter Member

The first time I heard them, I thought it was a Zeppelin outtake that I hadn't heard before. The second time I heard a new song from them, I thought it was a new-to-me Zeppelin outtake again. The third time, I figured it was Greta Van Fleet. That guy's voice is reedy compared to Robert Plant's, and it's easy to pick out now.

It's not a bad stylistic copy, but if anyone has less claim to being offended by someone copying them wholesale than Led Zeppelin, it might be Greta Van Fleet. Then again, they're not really the first to do that. Mudhoney sounded like they had stumbled onto a catalog of the best Blue Cheer songs that you never heard. Heck, I'm sort of in the process of ripping off The Jesus and Mary Chain in one song I'm writing now.

But on the other hand, if they have any longevity with their current act as it is, then it will mean that folks have forgotten Led Zeppelin. That wouldn't be the end of the world, but it would be weird. Zeppelin was certainly better at assembling a song than Greta Van Fleet is, and the latter really does only do one aspect of the former's style. I haven't heard anything in the style of "Immigrant Song", for instance. It's all in the style of "Traveling Riverside Blues".

But when you look over here at your foot, you realize that's kind of an unfair comparison. Greta Van Fleet is probably a band who came to their style by figuring out what they could pull off in a live setting, growing up brothers or not. Led Zeppelin was assembled by John Paul Jones and Jimmy Page, two experienced session musicians who had played on a ton of hits between them. Seriously - Sunshine Superman has them on guitar and bass. JPJ had also been trained in music, and been doing arrangements - the strings on "She's a Rainbow" are his. So, coming up with a way of selling songs in the style of "Traveling Riverside Blues" is a pretty good accomplishment, even if you're not Led Zeppelin.

But after watching GVF's videos, I have to remark that they dress worse than the guys in Zeppelin, and they had the excuse of being filthy rich in the 70's.
Old 01-03-2019, 08:03 AM
Charter Member

The oddest thing about them is that they seem to severely underplaytheir Zeppelin influence. The exact quote from guitarist Jake Kiszka was that Led Zeppelin were not "an overwhelming influence."

I mean, just own it. You guys sound like Zep. It's not necessarily a bad thing.
Old 01-03-2019, 02:18 PM

My son played on album of theirs for the family's baby boomers over Christmas to see what we thought. We all agreed it sounded like Zep Light, which, as said above, isn't necessarily a bad thing. If their popularity introduces some new listeners to LZ, listeners who might not otherwise have sought them out, that is nothing but a good outcome.
Old 01-03-2019, 10:18 PM

A friend of mine is in his upper 40's and can't stop talking about this band and how great they are. I don't see it (hear it) myself. I'd rather just listen to classic Zep.
Old 01-03-2019, 10:34 PM
Just Lovely and Delicious
Charter Member

Yeah I agree with Manson...I've had a few people tell me to check them out and be amazed and I'm like ok cool, they sound like Zepplin but so does Zepplin. Not that I'm a huge Zepplin fan and think they're poseurs, or that I dislike Zepplin and thus dislike these dudes. I'm just...not in the market for another?
Old 01-03-2019, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omar Little View Post
(I think he sounds more like Geddy Lee)
Rush started out as an early Led Zeppelin clone too.
Old 01-03-2019, 10:50 PM

Okay, I do find this amusing: other bands that sound like other bands are sometimes awesome. While GVF doesn't do it for me, a band that sounds more like Black Sabbath than Black Sabbaths amazeballs.

Orchid - Capricorn
Orchid - Black Funeral

But these guys aren't ashamed of their obvious worship, didn't downplay the Black Sabbath influence or anything and in fact, embraced it because that's exactly what they were trying to do: sound as much like Black Sabbath as possible. And because they owned it, they fucking pwned it. Their music is amazing; their performances awesome to behold.

GVF apparently unintentionally sound like Zep; they're focus and intent is just different than Orchid.
Old 01-04-2019, 06:00 AM

I hadn't heard of them until I was offered front-row seats to one of their concerts. So I cranked them up on the Spotify machine.

I was impressed, thought they were solid. About 3 songs in, though, I realized that the main effect of hearing GVF was that I was itchin' to hear some Zeppelin.

mmm
Old 01-04-2019, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manson1972 View Post
A friend of mine is in his upper 40's and can't stop talking about this band and how great they are. I don't see it (hear it) myself. I'd rather just listen to classic Zep.
I love classic Zep, but have heard it all a million times. I like these guys because it is like the Zep I had never heard. Hopefully they'll eventually break out into their own thing, but for right now I am digging what they're putting out.
Old 01-04-2019, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowboarder Bo View Post
Okay, I do find this amusing: other bands that sound like other bands are sometimes awesome. While GVF doesn't do it for me, a band that sounds more like Black Sabbath than Black Sabbaths amazeballs.

Orchid - Capricorn
Orchid - Black Funeral

But these guys aren't ashamed of their obvious worship, didn't downplay the Black Sabbath influence or anything and in fact, embraced it because that's exactly what they were trying to do: sound as much like Black Sabbath as possible. And because they owned it, they fucking pwned it. Their music is amazing; their performances awesome to behold.

GVF apparently unintentionally sound like Zep; they're focus and intent is just different than Orchid.
Oh, hell yeah! Thanks for shining a light on these guys. Two albums on Spotify should help me bust through my weekend construction projects.
Old 01-04-2019, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omar Little View Post
While there are a lot of similarities, guitar riffs, drum profile and the lead singer's eerie similar vocal range to Robert Plant (I think he sounds more like Geddy Lee), they are unique in their own kind of way from Led Zeppelin.
Emphasis mine.

Really? I don't hear Geddy Lee at all. All I hear is a young Robert Plant, especially when it comes to his screaming.
Old 01-04-2019, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulykamell View Post
The oddest thing about them is that they seem to severely underplaytheir Zeppelin influence. The exact quote from guitarist Jake Kiszka was that Led Zeppelin were not "an overwhelming influence."

I mean, just own it. You guys sound like Zep. It's not necessarily a bad thing.
Denying your influences would seem to be an appropriate way to immitate Led Zep. Maybe these guys can find a few Willie Dixon songs to claim as their own.
Old 01-04-2019, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steophan View Post
Denying your influences would seem to be an appropriate way to immitate Led Zep. Maybe these guys can find a few Willie Dixon songs to claim as their own.
I wonder what other gems Spirit has in their catalog?
Old 01-04-2019, 09:02 PM

Heck, if you're gonna go that way, just have them rip off a bunch of Zeppelin songs.
Old 01-05-2019, 01:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wguy123 View Post
Oh, hell yeah! Thanks for shining a light on these guys. Two albums on Spotify should help me bust through my weekend construction projects.
You're welcome!
Old 01-05-2019, 01:52 AM

Given their serious downplay of Zeppelin influences, I find them difficult and, well, cringey to listen to. I'm embarrassed for them.

I'm not saying they have no talent, I'm just saying they have no shame.
Old 01-05-2019, 09:51 PM

It's quite interesting how a band ends up sounding exactly like an album released nearly 50 years later without making any conscious effort to. From what I've read, they totally do not intend to sound almost identical to LZ, it's just that what they want to sound like, what the culminations of all the influences on them, to a large extent being many of the same as those on LZ, causes them to want to play in almost the exact same way.

I'll concur with Youtuber theneedledrop and say that while they definitely aren't bad, the fact that they aren't exactly groundbreaking or original in any way at all, despite their apparent efforts to do so, makes what they're doing not particularly good. If you want to hear a bunch of songs that happen to sound like LZ and don't mind that they're written by slightly less talented writers and played by slightly less talented musicians, they're not too bad. That they are apparently massively popular despite sounding like playing deep cuts from an album released 50 years ago shows that there is a vast untapped market of people who want early-style LZ music. Critics may be divided, but there are plenty of hard rock fans out there who want something that sounds like the classics but isn't. This is the closest they're going to get.

I've moved on The Beatles The Who, LZ, Pink Floyd, Yes, Jethro Tull, ELP, and Rush, and listen to them only sparingly so as to not wear out their luster. When I go back and listen to them, I'm rather amazed just how much better overall they sound compared to the closest newer stuff I listen to today, which is symphonic metal* (Nightwish, Within Temptation, Kamelot being my favorites). But that also means that when I hear GVF, I'm not doing so from the perspective of wanting to hear more LZ - I've moved on. So it's just not particularly interesting to me except in the sense that they've somehow accidentally reproduced it and seem ashamed that they haven't managed to come up with anything original. There are currently active bands putting out music that's much more interesting to me, and GVF are simply slightly less talented imitators.

Again, not to say they are bad and they won't be massively successful, but they probably won't be remembered as a band who took rock music to any particular new place - they'll just have brought back a sound that people were yearning for.

* Things I also listen to: Two Steps From Hell (epic trailer music), Natalie MacMaster (Celtic fiddle), Jesse Cook/Armik (Flamenco/Rhumba/Spanish guitar). Those are nearly as close to LZ as Nightwish.

Last edited by glowacks; 01-05-2019 at 09:54 PM.