Old 01-10-2019, 08:11 AM
Charter Member

Okay, who's still watching this awful thing? Let's have some guesses!

First off I want to say I totally knew it was Tommy Chong. They really gave it away with Pipe Dream and Up In Smoke. Besides, I had seen him on Dancing With the Stars not too long ago and was familiar with his "dance moves" or lack thereof. Kudos to them for having one actual celebrity on that us old folks would care about.

As for the rest, they were Rabbit, Alien, Raven, Poodle, and Bee.

My guesses:

Rabbit: Boy George (yeah, probably not but I can dream)

Alien: Uh...

Raven: Megan McCain, because she implied she was a talk-show personality who had suffered a recent loss.

Poodle: Kathy Griffin. I think she said something about stand-up comedy, and then they showed the rainbow background.

Bee: Singing since the fifties? Wow, could be another actual celebrity. I thought Dionne Warwick was a good guess.
Old 01-10-2019, 08:21 AM

My daughter suggested Gladys Knight as the Bee. Sounds reasonable.
Old 01-10-2019, 08:33 AM

Wife and I thought Gladys Knight as well, or maybe Patti LaBelle?

The Raven is Ricki Lake - she mentioned a recent loss, and Ricki's husband committed suicide not too long ago.

Alien might just be Miley Cyrus
Old 01-10-2019, 11:48 AM
Charter Member

I had guessed Joey Fatone for the Rabbit before the judges mentioned it. Yeah, he usually carries more weight than that Rabbit costume seems to show, but who knows, I haven't seen him in a while, maybe he's lost weight.

The rest I'm unsure of. Dionne Warwick is indeed a great guess for the Bee. My deep-left-field guess for the Alien is Uma Thurman, based solely on the snake in the hint video.
Old 01-10-2019, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dung Beetle View Post
Okay, who's still watching this awful thing? Let's have some guesses!

Poodle: Kathy Griffin. I think she said something about stand-up comedy, and then they showed the rainbow background.
She also mentioned 415 - the area code for San Francisco. The consensus is, Margaret Cho.
Old 01-10-2019, 03:28 PM
Charter Member

I can't believe I'm watching this show either. I watch maybe one show a year in real time and this...THIS??!! is what I chose?

Sigh.

Anyway, I also guessed Tommy Chong for Pineapple right off the bat last night. The clues were pretty obvious. I mean, I don't know Tommy Chong's voice from Adam, and have never actually seen him in a movie, standup, or ANYTHING. But I know who he is. (I hope that they don't make the clues too obvious moving forward. Where's the fun in that?)

The Poodle? I say Richard Simmons. I think he was mentioned by the panel, but I came up with that before hearing their take.

Somehow, I thought the Unicorn was Drew Barrymore. Wasn't the Unicorn from "Hollywood royalty?" That would fit.

Monster? Michael Vick. He did time. Rejected. Viewed as a monster.

Last edited by divemaster; 01-10-2019 at 03:29 PM.
Old 01-10-2019, 08:13 PM

A day late but finally caught up.

The only one I know for sure is because Mrs. Cups is a badass. The bee is clearly Gladys Knight...aka the Empress of Soul.

Called Tommy Chong a mile away.

Rabbit is Joey Fatone (Part of a group, harmonize, kept saying pop and dirty pop is an N'sync song and also "performed in a mask..check" is from their music videos

Margaret Cho is a good guess....never would have gotten that.

Ricki Lake is an obvious choice too, another one Ms. Cups called. She's really good at this.
Old 01-11-2019, 09:20 AM

I'm confused about the format now. How many new characters will there be? How long will this get drawn out? As it is we've got twelve weeks worth. I'm not sure I'll stay interested for that long.

Here are my notes so far:

Peacock – Shaun Cassidy
*Hippo – Antonio Brown
Monster – Philly rapper Meek Mills
Unicorn – Tori Amos
Deer - 6’3” boxer or wrestler or defensive lineman. Denver Broncos?
Lion – black woman, Hollywood child - 5’6” so it can't be EJ Johnson as I originally thought.
Rabbit – Psychobunny, is that you ?!? LOL! Seriously, what is that twitching about?!? Creepy.
Alien – I have a lot of sisters = Moulin Rouge. Li'l Kim
Raven – Wynonna Judd. I like the Ricki Lake guess above though, that's probably it.
*Pineapple – Tommy Chong. I had no clue until the panel said Cheech. Then I recognized Chong.
Poodle – “I have come for your Honors” Hilton Honors is their hotel loyalty points program. Paris Hilton.
Bee – Queen Latifa? Gladys Night?

Last edited by TruCelt; 01-11-2019 at 09:21 AM.
Old 01-11-2019, 01:23 PM

I watched the second episode last night (I try to be in bed by 10pm on weeknights, so most of the time I will DVR this and watch it the next night).

I had no guesses of my own this week.

Gladys Knight is an excellent guess for The Bee! All I could think while she was singing was that at times she sounded like Tina Turner, but not exactly like Tina Turner (and I don't think this show could get Tina Turner). Knight has some of the same vocal characteristics, so it could definitely be her.

I can no longer stand any of the judges' reactions (except possibly Robin Thicke, but he looks/sounds so much like his dad that it's distracting), so last night I started skipping everything except the clues, the performances, and the reveal at the end. I can probably get through several more episodes using that method.
Old 01-11-2019, 01:49 PM
Charter Member

OMG, how did I not know who Robin Thicke's dad was? That just proves I shouldn't be watching this show.

I agree, it's really hard to be exposed to Jenny McCarthy without flying into a rage. The other night, someone walked out in costume and she immediately squawked, "Who IS that?!" Well, that's kind of what the show's about, you stupid cow. Shut up and let us hear them!
Old 01-11-2019, 03:09 PM

Quote:
. . .
Rabbit: Boy George (yeah, probably not but I can dream)
. . .
That's a really good guess, actually. I think he lives in Beverly Hills with one of the "Housewives of BH".

Quote:
Originally Posted by SykoSkotty View Post
Wife and I thought Gladys Knight as well, or maybe Patti LaBelle?

The Raven is Ricki Lake - she mentioned a recent loss, and Ricki's husband committed suicide not too long ago.

Alien might just be Miley Cyrus
Gladys and Ricki are both great guesses. I don't think that's Miley though.

Quote:
OMG, how did I not know who Robin Thicke's dad was? That just proves I shouldn't be watching this show.
. . .
Shut up and let us hear them!
OMG, I knew something was wrong with Alan Thicke! ROFL! I just thought he'd had a lot of bad work done. I may be too old for this show.

In all seriousness, the talking over the singers is incredibly annoying. I just want to smack them. I also wish the camera would stay on the singers while the panel asks their questions. I want to see the body language to gauge which guesses hit the mark.

The twitching bunny is still annoying me two days later. What was that about? It was Kanye-esque
Old 01-11-2019, 06:12 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruCelt View Post
OMG, I knew something was wrong with Alan Thicke!
Well, there is. A somewhat permanent thing.
Old 01-11-2019, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuanoLad View Post
Well, there is. A somewhat permanent thing.
Old 01-13-2019, 11:36 PM

I immediately thought Margaret Cho for poodle but now I’m thinking Kathy Griffin. My initial thought for Raven was Ruthie Ann Miles. Bee bothered me because Robin Thicke clearly knew who it was by the voice but then couldn’t guess. Alien I have no clue. Bunny is clearly me.
Old 01-14-2019, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manson1972 View Post
Hmmmmm....I am that cynical too, and this seems very believable.

I'm thinking no celebrities are present 'till you see their face.

Vocals must be lip sync in the mask anyway, why pay the star all the extra money?

Reality TV, huh? First they get rid of the writers...
Old 01-14-2019, 03:06 AM
Charter Member

Anybody said Maya Rudolph as Poodle? That's what YouTube is guessing and that sounds right to me. Her mother was singer Minnie Riperton.
Old 01-14-2019, 08:16 AM

I agree with all who are saying the judges are the worst part. Except for JM, they're all perfectly fine individually, but the inane banter and obviously lame guesses really detract.

For Rabbit, it was said that he had a "Jake Gyllenhaal method actor vibe" and some other reference to Donnie Darko and I thought "would someone as big as JG be on this show?" Cause that creepy bunny persona sure makes me think of Frank.

Ditto the alien. Would a Kardashian ever deign to participate in this? She's built like a model, has lots of sisters and is constantly in the public eye. I'm not sure I know which is which, but maybe Kourtney?

I definitely go the Ricky lake vibe, mostly due to her voice. I didn't know about her husband's suicide
Old 01-14-2019, 01:15 PM

The only Kardashian the alien could be is Kendall Jenner. Frankly, Khloe is too tall, Kourtney is too short and the butt is too small for any others. It could potentially be a Willis sister.
Old 01-17-2019, 10:37 AM

I don't have many impressions from/thoughts about last night's show, except I'm starting to wonder if ALL of the singers are going to be either old (last night and last week) or athletes who non-fans don't know (the first week).

Props to Sir T-Cups for guessing Deer in the OP! *fist bump*

Unicorn sang worse last night than the previous time. Monster, Peacock, and Lion were all great.

I decided to watch the show live-ish this week: I recorded it and started watching around 9:30pm, and was done by a little after 10pm. I definitely enjoy it more now that I've started fast-forwarding through everything but the clues and the performances (or at least the beginnings of them; I couldn't finish Unicorn's). Which is good, because I think I'm in too deep at this point to walk away without finding out who everyone is.
Old 01-17-2019, 10:50 AM
Charter Member

I now think the Unicorn is Denise Richards. She "lost her sheen"?
Old 01-17-2019, 10:51 AM
Charter Member

Oh! and Joel McHale improved the hell out of this show.
Old 01-17-2019, 10:54 AM

I watched it live last night (missed a few minutes here and there) and even though I enjoy(ish) it, once it's over I can't seem to remember the clues or the voices. All I have to go on is whatever "vibe" I remember getting while I was watching. Something - don't ask me what- about Unicorn gave me a Nancy Kerrigan vibe <Shrug>
Old 01-17-2019, 11:19 AM

Quote:
I now think the Unicorn is Denise Richards. She "lost her sheen"?
Did she lose him or kick him to the curb?
Old 01-17-2019, 11:43 AM
Charter Member

No idea. But it seems that "sheen" must be the operative word, cluewise.
Old 01-17-2019, 12:06 PM

Re: Unicorn being Denise Richards, I thought the same thing, and I think one of the judges might have said the same thing. The only thing that seems off about the "Sheen" clue is that I believe they had quite an ugly breakup and she didn't lose him so much as shed him like a bad habit. Who knows?
I, just like that font of wisdom, Jenny McCarthy, am "dying to know who that is!"
Old 01-17-2019, 01:22 PM
Charter Member

So who was revealed last night?

Thanks
Brian
Old 01-17-2019, 02:00 PM

N9IWP: The Deer was Terry Bradshaw.

The title of this Rolling Stone article just made me LOL: ‘The Masked Singer’ Just Gets More Bizarre Every Week And We Are All Clearly Doomed

SO. TRUE.
Old 01-17-2019, 02:24 PM

Oh, I did not hear the "Unicorn as athlete in the bedroom comment". That completely wipes away my Nancy Kerrigan vibe, so now I'll get with the Denise Richards camp.
Old 01-17-2019, 05:39 PM

Didn't follow this sooner because I'm kinda burned out on singing shows right now. Caught yesterday's episode because, what the heck, there was nothing good on; caught as much of episode on on VOD as I could stand (made as far as Hippo's intro).

Haaaaahh.

All right, I, too, find this show absolutely terrible, but I'm guessing not for the same reasons as the rest of you (what a shock ). Basically, it has two predominant elements: The galactically, royally, monumentally irritating part and the making no goddam sense whatsoever part.

I'll start with the first, and by which I mean the freaking judges. Good LORD. Hey, remember the first few seasons of American Idol? Remember Simon Cowell, Paula Abdul, and Randy Jackson? They said a bunch of meaningless crap in a normal tone of voice and then, once they said their piece, stopped. They knew they were talking heads with absolutely zero power and they had no pretensions otherwise. The judges on The Masker Singer have essentially the same function, definitely the same amount of power, and yet treat us to endless outrageous flailing speculation and CONSTANTLY interrupt EVERY SINGLE GODDAM PART of the proceedings with their imbecilic blatherings. Much like the judges on, oh, every other useless cookie-cutter reality show these days, they have to make it all about them.

And another thing. What is it with all the eardrum-scorching screaming and laughing? For the love of Yukari, I think my sister had preteen slumber parties that didn't have that much screaming and laughing. I had no idea "mental asylum chic" was a thing.

Hey, remember way, way back when Nick Cannon was by far the most annoying regular on America's Got Talent, how the camera would interrupt every act three freaking times to pick up his asinine ramblings? He's all but invisible here. Any insight he may have is completely swallowed up by halfwitted shrieking groupies known as the judges.

As for the nonsensical part...deep sigh. All right, I've railed on the one-at-a-time elimination system, which I affectionately refer to as anuddah-wun-bi-da-dus (mainly because I'm convinced that our collective neverending obsession with Queen is the only way this system could have become so ironclad, but that's another thread). I truly believe that the only show I've seen where this ever worked was Survivor (It theoretically should work for The Amazing Race, which has the closest thing to a true "last man standing" format that I've seen, but regrettably is rendered utterly meaningless by all the ridiculous bunch-up points and dumb luck tasks...another thread.) and that it's become the invincible universal standard for the entirety of reality TV is one of the main reason that so much of it is atrocious. On Survivor, you have the contestants voting directly against each other, and how to avoid getting voted off and convince other contestants to vote someone they want out are part of the strategy. THAT'S what makes it work. Furthermore, because the show is so heavily edited and we're only see a small snippet of the total time at the location, fewer contestants doesn't mean less entertainment. This does not work for a regular singing or talent competition. First off, time. How do you fit every number from 2-12 into inflexible hour-long time blocks? I remember one season where American Idol squeezed 10 performances into one hour, and I could tell how incredibly rushed it was. Then there's our old friend Rock Bottom Plus One, where first and barely above last are worth exactly the same, and nothing carries over to the next week. And then we get into the joys of voting, from fanatical blocks pushing obviously inferior contestants to strong contestants getting bounced because they had an one off night in the wrong week to fanatical blocks deliberately pushing the most inferior contestants, and of course, "They thought she was saaaaaaaafe!" Anuddah-wun-bi-da-dus is a plague on the genre, and the token efforts made to rectify it (judges' saves, sing-offs, vote caps, etc.) have barely made a dent.

But here? I mean, how does it even work? Okay, let's see if I have this right. The performers give a few clues which may or may not be any help. Then they get on stage and sing. (I must admit, they've all been really good, which makes it all the more regrettable that Screechy McChucklewit has to jump in with "Oh my gaawwwwdddd!!!!" or "He sounds like a professional!!!!!!" every fifteen fricking seconds.) Then, once everyone has gone (and dropped off another hint which may or may not be any help), the audience...votes on who they...don't want to be unmasked. So the first 57 minutes are all who is that, who is that, who is that, and in the end it's just another popularity contest. I mean...what? Is this supposed to be a hackneyed, ridiculously poorly thought out, utterly pointless version of The Voice (which is utter crap to begin with)? It seems to me that the sensible method...well, as sensible as an American knockoff of a Korean variety show could ever be...would be for the audience to say who they think the singers are, and whoever gets the least correct responses has to unmask. Or the most correct responses. Depends on whether the point is to stump them or give enough clues for them to make the right guess, and Sagume Kishin on a poncho they couldn't be arsed to make THAT much clear??

It's so nonsensical I don't even have any idea how the audience is supposed to vote. I mean, for your typical talent show, you vote for who you want to continue to the next round (or in the case of American Idol, some random hopeless sad sack because the one you actually want to continue really knocked it out of the park and is therefore completely safe so you're going to back a "sentimental favorite", only to find out the next week that one you wanted to continue is out because no one voted for her because they thought she was completely safe, and you feel like an utter tool and now you have no choice but to continue backing the random hopeless sad sack because she's the only one left you don't utterly despise). On the Masked Singer, you vote for...someone you thought was good and want to hear perform again? Someone you don't really care about and don't need to see revealed? Someone whose clues intrigued you and you want to know more? What exactly is the paradigm here?

Super Dave was bizarre. This is just aimless schlock. Hard pass.

(Don't follow celebrities, don't know who 90% of these people are, so don't bother asking me for guesses.)
Old 01-17-2019, 05:55 PM

I know I'm late to the game, but I was thinking about checking this out. However, I tend to avoid anything having anything to do with Jenny McCarthy. Just how annoying is she on this?
Old 01-17-2019, 06:15 PM
Charter Member

I just watch the clips on YouTube. They strip out the annoying stuff you're all describing and just show 90 seconds of people in weird costumes singing.
Old 01-17-2019, 06:17 PM

It doesn't seem that confusing to me. Whether the studio audience votes for the best singer, or who they think is the worst, so far every time it has ended up with the worst singer being the one revealed. The audience at home has nothing to do with who is revealed so the actual details of the voting process don't really matter.

Last edited by Eyebrows 0f Doom; 01-17-2019 at 06:19 PM.
Old 01-17-2019, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misnomer View Post
I don't have many impressions from/thoughts about last night's show, except I'm starting to wonder if ALL of the singers are going to be either old (last night and last week) or athletes who non-fans don't know (the first week).

Props to Sir T-Cups for guessing Deer in the OP! *fist bump*

Unicorn sang worse last night than the previous time. Monster, Peacock, and Lion were all great.

I decided to watch the show live-ish this week: I recorded it and started watching around 9:30pm, and was done by a little after 10pm. I definitely enjoy it more now that I've started fast-forwarding through everything but the clues and the performances (or at least the beginnings of them; I couldn't finish Unicorn's). Which is good, because I think I'm in too deep at this point to walk away without finding out who everyone is.
Thank you, thank you.

I want to be impressed with myself too because I called last week's celeb too...but I just got the easiest ones.

I'm slowly being convinced by Mrs. Cups that monster is T-Pain.
Old 01-17-2019, 07:44 PM

I just turned it on, and Lion is rockin it. But seriously, not one mention here of whatever the heck Nick Cannon is wearing on his head?!? Why has he got my Grandmother's morning hat on?
Old 01-17-2019, 07:54 PM

BTW this clip came by on social media this week, and I have to say, I'm jealous. Our show is just nothing like what's going on over there!

I guessed this one just a few measures into the song. Answer in spoiler below for those living in a cave.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hiBPUpCJ7MQ

SPOILER:
It's Ryan Reynolds
Old 01-17-2019, 11:00 PM

Quote:
BTW this clip came by on social media this week, and I have to say, I'm jealous. Our show is just nothing like what's going on over there!

I guessed this one just a few measures into the song. Answer in spoiler below for those living in a cave.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hiBPUpCJ7MQ

SPOILER:
It's Ryan Reynolds
Shhh..we're supposed to only talk about this trainwreck of a show and not acknowledge the far, far, far superior original!
Old Yesterday, 09:00 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheelz View Post
I know I'm late to the game, but I was thinking about checking this out. However, I tend to avoid anything having anything to do with Jenny McCarthy. Just how annoying is she on this?
Eleven.

Quote:
I just turned it on, and Lion is rockin it. But seriously, not one mention here of whatever the heck Nick Cannon is wearing on his head?!? Why has he got my Grandmother's morning hat on?
My husband and I were confused as well. The very next morning after the show we saw an old lady in the grocery store parking lot..."She's got that guy's hat!"
Old Yesterday, 09:01 AM

Quote:
After the first ep, I was going to make a "what's going on with his hair?" comment but was afraid people would take it as a race thing (it's not). Maybe that's going to be his gimmick for the show; different hair stylings and accoutrements.
Old Yesterday, 03:59 PM

Quote:
But seriously, not one mention here of whatever the heck Nick Cannon is wearing on his head?!?
I assumed that at first it was because of the mask he was wearing at the very start -- to protect his 'do (and/or his head) -- but I didn't understand why it was still on after the first commercial break. Maybe his 'do is really, really hard to do?
Old Today, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheelz View Post
I tend to avoid anything having anything to do with Jenny McCarthy. Just how annoying is she on this?
I keep hoping she will have to leave because she has measles.