Old 01-04-2019, 09:18 AM

Gotham - The Final Season

Despite being cut off from the mainland for months, the residents of Gotham still manage to be stylishly attired. They may not any food or medicine, or ammo for that matter, but their wardrobes are impeccable. Like that weird, spooky sister, er, nurse. I take it the witch she keeps whispering is going to cure Selina.

Are we finally ready to see Batman? Also the Joker, which this show has been coy about for some reason. They've certainly been teasing him enough. Jeremiah had better fall into a vat of chemicals, pushed there by Bruce wearing a cape.
Old 01-04-2019, 07:13 PM

Well, there's plenty of water, presumably, as otherwise everybody would have died of thirst by now, and there's power, so presumably they have the ability to wash their clothes.

Strange, though, that electrical lines seem to exist, but phone line's don't - otherwise, why would Gordon have to contact "the mainland" via radio? For that matter, are there cellphones in this timeline? Why would those stop working?
Old 01-05-2019, 02:17 AM

Previous seasons showed them using flip phones, of the turn-of-the-century variety. I presume everyone's cell phone plan has been cancelled, since no one has any ability to pay.
Old 01-05-2019, 02:23 PM

It has been an absolutely wild ride. I don't have the slightest idea how the final season is going to shake out, but that's the beauty of it: other than certain characters having to survive somehow, anything goes. (I did not see Ra's Al Ghul's fate coming at all.) You guys have issues with casting, pacing, too-convenient timing, emotional immaturity, disrespect for the law, David Mazouz not doing enough ab days. Whatever. I'm seeing shootouts and tense standoffs and mind games and the GCPD being effective for once, and I'm loving every minute of it.

Is it a major departure from the source material? Yes, yes it is. So was the 60's TV series. So were the Tim Burton and Joel Schumacher movies. So was Batman: The Animated Series. So was The Killing Joke, and that's one of the most freaking universally praised Batman stories ever. Heck, Batman Beyond may as well have been in another galaxy. Guess what, doing the same thing for 80+ years gets boring. I'm no fanboy; I can accept a fresh take on a classic property, and thus far Gotham has always delivered.

Sooooo...speculation? Hopes? Dreams? Hmm...

- Feeling for Carmen Bicondova. For four seasons she gets to leap across rafters and do fight scenes and crack that whip, and in the climactic fifth season her role is lying on her back and crying because nobody can freaking move past The Killing Joke. I'm holding out for a miraculous recovery...heck, this is Catwoman, it kinda has to happen...but with things so chaotic, I can't help but worry that she's going to get lost in the shuffle.

- Every great conflict needs a wildcard, and this one's Barbara Kean. She is chaos incarnate. She's been in like a dozen plots and I still don't know whether to cheer, boo, or just stare in stunned silence. At first I took her for tragic what-coulda-been, a second-tier schemer who'd go the distance but ultimately fall to the true heavyweights. Hell, she actually honest-to-goodness was dead for a while. And she's still here. At this point I'm not even certain having the same name as Jim Gordon's future daughter has any significance. My eye's definitely on her.

- I know we're all anticipating it...heck, for some of us that's the only reason to watch in the first place...but I'm getting the nagging feeling that we might not see Bruce Wayne Becoming Batman. If they had three or four more seasons and David Mazouz had time to really grow into the role, I could see it, but with one left it just seems a bridge too far. The most likely result would be Bruce Wayne settling into adulthood and fully accepting the burden of leading Wayne Enterprises, and we see the completed Batmobile or the construction of a fancy computer or something. Anyway, it's clear that Gordon is the main focus here, and how he completes his ascension is what I'm more interested in.

- "The Witch"? That's Ivy Pepper, right? Does anyone really think it's not Ivy Pepper?

- It's a safe bet that Jeremiah Valeska is this show's version The Joker. Yeah, yeah, force of nature, no one knows his true past, there were going to tease a whole bunch of red herrings, etc. I don't recall Solomon Grundy ever being restored to life and then gunned down, and that sure as heck happened. The signs are all there: genius inventor, big vendetta against Bruce Wayne, bloodthirsty, infinitely treacherous, loves to toy with authority figures, willing to go to tremendous lengths to satisfy petty goals. Sure, we haven't heard any maniacal laughter, but there's no rule saying that The Joker has to laugh on the outside. It's possible that he gets replaced somewhere down the line, but for now, I have to think he's the man. Just not seeing any other avenue at this late stage.

- I know he was a largely useless meathead, but I want some closure on Nathaniel Barnes. Did he at least get cured?

All right! It's going to be a fun four months!
Old 01-05-2019, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKW View Post
Is it a major departure from the source material? Yes, yes it is.
The only thing that worries me is (and I don't know why I should be), some of this is going to bleed over into the comic books. On the other hand, Yet Still Even Another Comic Book Involving Batman that takes place in the TV series' universe may not be such a bad idea.
Quote:
I know we're all anticipating it...heck, for some of us that's the only reason to watch in the first place...but I'm getting the nagging feeling that we might not see Bruce Wayne Becoming Batman.
I have a feeling the only reference to "Batman" will be, Bruce looking at a bat in the final shot of the final episode, and then possibly the "GOTHAM" logo that appears at the end of each episode morphs into "BATMAN."
Quote:
It's a safe bet that Jeremiah Valeska is this show's version The Joker. Yeah, yeah, force of nature, no one knows his true past, there were going to tease a whole bunch of red herrings, etc.
In an issue of Justice League comics, Batman sits in "the Mobius Chair" and asks two questions: "Who killed my parents?...That's right. What is the Joker's real name?...That's Impossible!"; it turns out the answer to the second question was, "Which one?"