Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01-06-2019, 01:24 PM
minor7flat5's Avatar
minor7flat5 minor7flat5 is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Trenton, NJ
Posts: 4,783
Recommendations for getting started selling original art online

The title says it all...

My wife is an art teacher and she loves painting, to the point where her art studio is crammed with paintings. Here is a typical example of her work.

Surely a quick Google search would turn up a plethora of ideas on how to do so, but the last time I tried I found the results overwhelming, so I would like input from Dopers who have actually been there and done that. We would like to be able to sell prints as well as the original artwork.

So, how can we get her set up without too much effort? She isn't trying to make a living from this, it is more a way of having some ultimate goal for her work and funding her supplies.
  #2  
Old 01-06-2019, 01:29 PM
purplehorseshoe purplehorseshoe is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Texas, USA
Posts: 9,620
Etsy seems straightforward.
__________________
I can haz sig line?
  #3  
Old 01-06-2019, 01:31 PM
minor7flat5's Avatar
minor7flat5 minor7flat5 is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Trenton, NJ
Posts: 4,783
Quote:
Originally Posted by purplehorseshoe View Post
Etsy seems straightforward.
Surely it is.

I'm looking for someone to come in and say "I use X and it's great, here's basically how I set things up"
The problem I found when I tried researching this before is that there are many different outlets specifically for prints and paintings, more specialized than Etsy, and it seems that one of those might be good, but the options were kind of overwhelming.
  #4  
Old 01-06-2019, 02:02 PM
Sage Rat's Avatar
Sage Rat Sage Rat is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Howdy
Posts: 20,819
There may be some website more specialized for this, but all the users on Etsy. Having a website that's perfect for selling art isn't as good as having a website that has customers.

ETA: The picture looks a little dark. You should also adjust any photos once they're in the computer to make sure that everything looks as good as it would in real life. Our brains automatically provide a certain amount of color correction and brightness correction, that you lose once you take a photo, so you need to do it by hand to get the same in-person experience.

Last edited by Sage Rat; 01-06-2019 at 02:04 PM.
  #5  
Old 01-06-2019, 02:41 PM
minor7flat5's Avatar
minor7flat5 minor7flat5 is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Trenton, NJ
Posts: 4,783
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage Rat View Post
There may be some website more specialized for this, but all the users on Etsy. Having a website that's perfect for selling art isn't as good as having a website that has customers.

ETA: The picture looks a little dark. You should also adjust any photos once they're in the computer to make sure that everything looks as good as it would in real life. Our brains automatically provide a certain amount of color correction and brightness correction, that you lose once you take a photo, so you need to do it by hand to get the same in-person experience.
Thanks.

That was a first attempt at photographing one some time back, using my standard off-camera flash setups I use for product shots and portraiture, and I wasn't satisfied with the way it came out either. The lens and camera are pro gear, but something about the lighting setup took away the crispness of the actual artwork. Sorting out the technical aspects of that are a topic for a different thread.

Hopefully someone will chime in with some specifics about Etsy and how they got started (e.g. "Don't make the same mistake I made, do X, then Y, then Z"). If not, barring dissenting opinions from other Dopers on best site to use, I guess I'll be Googling "How to get started with artwork in Etsy"
  #6  
Old 01-06-2019, 10:33 PM
Wallet Wallet is offline
Charter Member
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 378
I don't think she'd mind me mentioning it, but if you search the Marketplace Forum you can find a thread by Biggirl about her artwork on Etsy.
I actually purchased one of her cat pictures - it was adorable, and made a wonderful present.
Anyway, perhaps she could help with your questions. Good luck!
  #7  
Old 01-06-2019, 11:29 PM
Plumpudding Plumpudding is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 1,468
Quote:
Originally Posted by minor7flat5 View Post
Thanks.

That was a first attempt at photographing one some time back, using my standard off-camera flash setups I use for product shots and portraiture, and I wasn't satisfied with the way it came out either. The lens and camera are pro gear, but something about the lighting setup took away the crispness of the actual artwork. Sorting out the technical aspects of that are a topic for a different thread.

Hopefully someone will chime in with some specifics about Etsy and how they got started (e.g. "Don't make the same mistake I made, do X, then Y, then Z"). If not, barring dissenting opinions from other Dopers on best site to use, I guess I'll be Googling "How to get started with artwork in Etsy"
Natural daylight on a gray day (indirect) is best for photographing paintings, especially oil. At least that's what I was taught.
  #8  
Old 01-07-2019, 08:21 AM
minor7flat5's Avatar
minor7flat5 minor7flat5 is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Trenton, NJ
Posts: 4,783
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plumpudding View Post
Natural daylight on a gray day (indirect) is best for photographing paintings, especially oil. At least that's what I was taught.
That sounds about right. Overcast conditions are surprisingly good for portraiture outdoors as well--people often make the mistake of taking photos on a sunny day giving terrible shadows, not knowing that an overcast sky is essentially one giant "softbox" providing smooth overall lighting from all directions. That original shot was under bad room lighting. My first serious attempt will probably be with a couple of shoot-through umbrellas in a very close clamshell or side-by-side configuration presenting a wall of diffused light to the artwork...or maybe I'll just take advantage of a bunch of grey wintery days.
  #9  
Old 01-07-2019, 09:46 AM
Raza's Avatar
Raza Raza is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Atl-N, 3409'N 8405'W
Posts: 1,402
I sold artwork online for about 15 years (98% prints, 2% oils), but have been out of the business almost 2 years.

Based on comments from a co-worker who has a spouse making glass items, I'll echo what the others have said: Etsy seems the way to go. The issue isn't having a Web site that works well; it's getting traffic.

If you do want to operate an independent site, we eventually moved from our own physical server to BigCommerce. Their pricing and features scale, so it is easy to experiment, and if you end up pulling the plug it is no great loss.

The co-worker's spouse has done VERY well having a booth at craft fairs and even more general-purpose events where booths are available.

Best wishes. I like the sample you posted.
  #10  
Old 01-07-2019, 10:02 AM
Plumpudding Plumpudding is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 1,468
Quote:
Originally Posted by minor7flat5 View Post
That sounds about right. Overcast conditions are surprisingly good for portraiture outdoors as well--people often make the mistake of taking photos on a sunny day giving terrible shadows, not knowing that an overcast sky is essentially one giant "softbox" providing smooth overall lighting from all directions. That original shot was under bad room lighting. My first serious attempt will probably be with a couple of shoot-through umbrellas in a very close clamshell or side-by-side configuration presenting a wall of diffused light to the artwork...or maybe I'll just take advantage of a bunch of grey wintery days.
Also, reflected direct light will glare and obscure what's being photographed. Especially with oils, with being naturally glossy and often varnished. I've had a few moments of "trying to angle this so it might look almost decent, but oh no, now it's at a weird angle, maybe I can crop it or warp it or something" when the weather did not want to coincide with a portfolio deadline.
  #11  
Old 01-07-2019, 12:05 PM
Biggirl Biggirl is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Right here
Posts: 18,475
I am not qualified to give advice on how to sell my creations since I am very, very bad at selling the stuff I make. I will agree with the majority and say Etsy is the best place with its built in customer base. I was not very successful selling jewelry in booths at fairs. Other, more experienced booth sellers all told me my prices were too low (people buying things at craft shows are suspicious of low priced things, I'm told). I am also not a small talker, am far, far too snarky, am aggressively unattractive and am unable to "embellish" or "exaggerate"-- pretty much bareface lie-- to the craft fair public.

I did try to sell jewelry on other internet platforms. None of the other platforms I tried exist anymore. You can do a lot to drive sales to your Etsy: Build a brand, relentlessly flog on social media, invest in advertising, join and participate in the specific communities that create and, much more importantly, enjoy the products you are selling. But you need your participation in these communities to be genuine. Nobody likes a faker salesman.

And thank you Wallet for the shout out! It always makes me very, very happy to hear that someone liked my stuff!


ETA: How could I have forgotten the most important part of selling things on the internet-- Pictures! Take VERY GOOD PICTURES!!!!! No flash. Outdoors on cloudy days are best. Light box if indoors. Your pictures are EVERYTHING when selling on the internet!

Last edited by Biggirl; 01-07-2019 at 12:06 PM.
  #12  
Old 01-07-2019, 12:14 PM
PastTense PastTense is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 7,102
List of several sites:
https://theabundantartist.com/15-way...ur-art-online/

It is probably best to try several--then drop the ones which are not productive.
  #13  
Old 01-07-2019, 01:26 PM
minor7flat5's Avatar
minor7flat5 minor7flat5 is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Trenton, NJ
Posts: 4,783
Quote:
Originally Posted by PastTense View Post
List of several sites:
https://theabundantartist.com/15-way...ur-art-online/

It is probably best to try several--then drop the ones which are not productive.
Do you have any thoughts or experience on the entries in that list?

The very reason I posted this thread is to get input from people like Biggirl, Plumpudding, and Raza. I have already gone through those lists that Google brings up.
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:52 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright 2018 STM Reader, LLC.

 
Copyright © 2017