Old 01-08-2019, 12:24 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Nemo View Post

I'll grant that flown/on aren't as good a rhyme as flown/known. But this is a band that rhymed desk/dress, down/sound, grind/mine, and him/win.
Insisting on perfect rhymes is silly, IMHO. Plus I think imperfect rhymes sound better most of the time, anyway. So your lines are good with me.
Old 01-08-2019, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guest-starring: Id! View Post

Sweet's "Fox on the Run"

"I don't wanna know your name
'Cause you don't look the same
The way you did before
Okay, you think you got a pretty face
But the rest of you is out of place
You looked alright before"
This is the type of song that's all about the hook, and as long as the hook is ok, I don't really give a shit about anything else. The verses are just filler. When the group of stoner kids cruising down the street in the big muscle car all shout out "FOX ON THE RUN" together, the song has served its purpose.

It's when the verses of a song are extremely wordy, trying to be meaningful, but failing, that I actively consider them to be shitty lyrics. And if the song doesn't have a good hook to make up for it, then I consider it to be a shitty song.
Old 01-08-2019, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulykamell View Post
Insisting on perfect rhymes is silly, IMHO...
But I do, nonetheless. Especially in church, where I "fix" them... if the previous line ended with prove, and the last line ends with love? Then no problem, I'll just sing LOOVE.

And since I'm usually processing next to the senior pastor, I get to amuse her, too.
Old 01-08-2019, 02:39 PM

Buy me some peanuts and cracker jacks, I don't care if i ever get back

Was it Steven Wright or Denis Leary who said, "The fuck kinda attitude is that?"
Old 01-08-2019, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Asking Questions View Post
There's no quick lyric to quote, but I always get annoyed at Tangled Up In Blue. it seems like the perspective and timeline shift all over the place, and not in a good poetic way, but in a "I forgot what I was singing about" way.
While I actually love that song, yeah, there's a lot wrong with it. I once heard an interesting discarded take in which Dylan sings the entire song in third person instead of first. I think in the take that made it to "Blood on the Tracks," he forgot which perspective he was singing from a couple times.

Last edited by Wheelz; 01-08-2019 at 02:43 PM.
Old 01-08-2019, 02:52 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by digs View Post
But I do, nonetheless. Especially in church, where I "fix" them... if the previous line ended with prove, and the last line ends with love? Then no problem, I'll just sing LOOVE.
What I dislike is when the last word of a verse is meant to be sung as a melisma, and the last word for a particular verse is multiple syllables, as opposed to the other verses that end in single syllables, and the instructions have you sing the multisyllabic word as a contraction, when you could just as easily change syllables halfway through the notes. For instance if it ended with "strongest" the instructions would have you sing "strooooOOOOoooooOOOOooooooOOOOOng'st" rather than "strooooooOOOOOoooongEEEEeeeEEEst".
Old 01-08-2019, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Sams View Post

Was it Steven Wright or Denis Leary who said, "The fuck kinda attitude is that?"
Nitpick, it is Cracker Jack no "s"
Old 01-08-2019, 04:13 PM

I'm too sexy for my shirt
Too sexy for my shirt
So sexy it hurts

Ya' know, maybe you should see a doctor about that before you pass it on to someone else.
Old 01-08-2019, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Springsteen, Racing in the Streets

I got a 69 Chevy with a 396
Fuelie heads and a Hurst on the floor

General car ignorance. Fuelie heads are for small block Chevies. They won't fit.
A 396 most likely IS a small block--you can bore out a Chevy small block to a 427 if you like. There's even a small block 454 crate engine you can still get.

Quote:
The largest-displacement small-blocks ever produced by GM are the LSX454/LSX454R crate engines offered through Chevrolet Performance, at 454 cubic inches (7.4L); the largest-displacement small-block for a production vehicle is the 427-cubic-inch (7.0L) LS7 used currently in the Corvette Z06.
Big block Chevy engines were only introduced in '65, so a '69 was way more likely to have a small block engine than a big block, unless it was a Corvette, which debuted the big block 396 in '65. Might have had one in a Chevelle or a Camaro but in a song it's more likely the actual model would be named if it was one of those rather than just being called a "Chevy."
Old 01-08-2019, 04:53 PM

I would like to complain (at) (to) (about) "Angie Baby" and "Jackie Blue" if I knew what hell they were about, especially the former.

Sounding almost like a Python letter. (Dear Sirs...) (Or the ole "I'd like to complain" "You want to complain! Look at these shoes. I've only had them three weeks and the heels are worn right through")
Old 01-08-2019, 05:04 PM

Quote:
I would like to complain (at) (to) (about) "Angie Baby" and "Jackie Blue" if I knew what hell they were about, especially the former.

Sounding almost like a Python letter. (Dear Sirs...) (Or the ole "I'd like to complain" "You want to complain! Look at these shoes. I've only had them three weeks and the heels are worn right through")
Angie Baby's a great song!

Angie is mentally disturbed. Probably schizophrenia, but IANAD. Anyway, she lives in her own world, imagining things, imagining lovers that come to her. Then one day a neighbor kid decides to "have a little fun" with Angie, and gets more than he bargained for. The lyrics imply Angie keeps him trapped like a sex slave, but you could always say she keeps him like Norman Bates' mother, too. Well, maybe....

Jackie Blue is just one of those girls that gets whatever she wants, and uses boys, and no one ever calls her on her shit. Except the singer. Other than the early lyric "Lives her life from inside of her room" the rest of the song supports that's she's not mentally ill, just a user of people.
Old 01-08-2019, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartAleq View Post
A 396 most likely IS a small block--you can bore out a Chevy small block to a 427 if you like. There's even a small block 454 crate engine you can still get.

Big block Chevy engines were only introduced in '65, so a '69 was way more likely to have a small block engine than a big block, unless it was a Corvette, which debuted the big block 396 in '65. Might have had one in a Chevelle or a Camaro but in a song it's more likely the actual model would be named if it was one of those rather than just being called a "Chevy."
You're over thinking it.

In 69 every car came with a big block option - Camaros, Novas, Chevelles, all could be had with everything from the lowly six to the biggest big block. There were no 69 Corvette 6's. Factory BBC displacements were 396, (402), 427, with 454 coming later.

Small blocks were 283, 302, 327, 350. The 400 came later.

Odder sizes were a result of aftermarket cranks and/or overbores. The most common small block non-factory displacement is 383 (not to be confused with the Chrysler 383). But they were not available at the time of Racing in the Streets.

So Bruce's Chevy had a 396 BB. I always pictured it as a Chevelle, because that "dude from LA" had a Camaro, and if Bruce had one he'd have said so.
Old 01-08-2019, 07:26 PM

Quote:
You're over thinking it.

In 69 every car came with a big block option - Camaros, Novas, Chevelles, all could be had with everything from the lowly six to the biggest big block. There were no 69 Corvette 6's. Factory BBC displacements were 396, (402), 427, with 454 coming later.

Small blocks were 283, 302, 327, 350. The 400 came later.

Odder sizes were a result of aftermarket cranks and/or overbores. The most common small block non-factory displacement is 383 (not to be confused with the Chrysler 383). But they were not available at the time of Racing in the Streets.

So Bruce's Chevy had a 396 BB. I always pictured it as a Chevelle, because that "dude from LA" had a Camaro, and if Bruce had one he'd have said so.
But the objection was that it can't be a 396 with fuellie heads because those are just made to fit the small blocks. I'm pointing out that a small block 396 is absolutely likely and that the big block 396 would have been the more unusual option in a '69. Therefore a '69 Chevy with a 396 and fuellie heads is completely plausible.
Old 01-08-2019, 07:35 PM

Quote:

Yeah, because those two are easy to confuse.
Old 01-08-2019, 07:38 PM

"Before He Cheats" by Carrie Underwood. Just, the whole thing. She thinks he might be cheating, but hasn't caught him, and isn't for sure about it. So she destroys his car, including taking the ill-advised step of carving her own name into his leather seats.
Old 01-08-2019, 07:52 PM

Quote:

My problem with that lyric is that Cracker Jack already contains peanuts.
Old 01-08-2019, 08:25 PM
Shouting Grasshopper

Brandy, you're a fine girl
What a good wife you would be
But my life, my lover, my lady is the sea...

That sailor is gonna end up with some unusual kids

Last edited by blondebear; 01-08-2019 at 08:26 PM.
Old 01-08-2019, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartAleq View Post
But the objection was that it can't be a 396 with fuellie heads because those are just made to fit the small blocks. I'm pointing out that a small block 396 is absolutely likely and that the big block 396 would have been the more unusual option in a '69. Therefore a '69 Chevy with a 396 and fuellie heads is completely plausible.
A Ď69 Chevy with a 396 small block would be highly unlikely. Sure, you could bore and stroke a small block to whatever size you could afford, but how many owners do you think did so, and to that particular displacement? Now compare that tiny number to the thousands of Ď69 Chevys that came with factory BB 396s. It was available in every model except the Corvette, in 3 horsepower levels.
Old 01-08-2019, 10:46 PM

"And if you see my reflection, in the snow-covered hills."

Sorta like all that air-brushed fantasy bin art on office walls in the 80s?

Or you're just into the 'urban projectionist' thing, Stevie?
Old 01-08-2019, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucas Jackson View Post
Yeah, because those two are easy to confuse.
They both are Red Sox fans!!
Old 01-09-2019, 12:50 AM
Charter Member

"You're Going to Lose That Girl"

I have no idea what John Lennon was thinking here. He's telling another guy that he is at risk of losing his girlfriend is he doesn't treat her better - because if he doesn't Lennon will steal the girlfriend from him.

What Lennon's motivation? Is he trying to help a friend? If so, why would he threaten to steal his friend's girlfriend? Is he interested in the girl? If so, why warn the guy and tell him how he can thwart Lennon's plans?
Old 01-09-2019, 01:22 AM

"She told me not to mess around,
But I don't let the deal go down.
Move it on over.
Rock it on over.
Move over nice dog, mean old dog is movin in."

Uh, let's pass on that. There's a fine bin over there you can go huddle in.

"One way, or another,
I'm gonna find ya,
I'm gonna getcha getcha getcha,
One way,
Maybe next week..."

Oh great, the ex goes all stalker cray-town on me. Soon I'll start thinking of that no-hit wonder by Rockwell.
Old 01-09-2019, 02:03 AM

"Rose and Valerie, screaming from the gallery
Say he must go free
(Maxwell must go free)
The judge does not agree and he tells them
So, o, o, o
But as the words are leaving his lips
A noise comes from behind
Bang! Bang! Maxwell's silver hammer
Came down upon his head
Bang! Bang! Maxwell's silver hammer
Made sure that he was dead"

Why the hell would Rose and Valerie - whoever they are (brain-dead classmates?) - spring to the psychopath's defense?
I can only guess the presiding bailiffs(s) had briefly drifted off, with messy mouths, in some Beer Nutz Donut-induced reverie, to let Maxwell have a go at the judge with a hammer.

"Carve your number on my wall
And maybe you will get a call from me
If I needed someone"

George - First off, was wall-carving still the rolodex of choice back then, and secondly, you're basically telling this girl: 'well, I'm too lost in love with someone else, but hey! you're right in there, like - totes next in line if shit falls through.'
Old 01-09-2019, 02:52 AM

Quote:
"Rose and Valerie, screaming from the gallery
Say he must go free
(Maxwell must go free)
Even as a young kid listening to Abbey Road on cassette in the early 90s, I got the gist of this song. The title character is a picaresque rogue who always skates free from the consequences of his murderous behavior and blithely skips off to his next atrocity. Obviously I could not have put it into those words, but I got the basic idea:

1. The song opens with him about to take a female classmate out on a date. He just asked her out that very night, and she's "getting ready to go". The first verse tells us two facts about Maxwell: he is majoring in medicine, a prestigious field, and he is charming/attractive enough that he's successfully asked out Joan. Maxwell is a cool guy, basically.

2. He kills his date for no reason whatsoever; not because he's mad at her, not because he finds it thrilling or whatever; he just does it. No explanation why. Because there's such a logical disconnect between the verse and the chorus, and it's such a jovial and upbeat song, the song becomes a bit of dark comedy. It's not like I was any stranger to dark comedy as a kid growing up in the 90s; I "got" what the song was going for. I didn't think "that's fucked up", I just accepted it for what it was.

3. "Back in school" he is goofing off and is reprimanded by the teacher. Something that I personally could relate to. He is punished by having to write the cliched phrase "I will not..." over and over again, which the lyrics amusingly subverts by drifting into "be so...oh oh oh," i.e. it doesn't matter what he's actually writing because it's a meaningless punishment, leading to,

4. Maxwell kills his teacher, this time we sort of have an explanation (revenge for being chastised for his reprobate ways.)

Now we arrive at the final verse, where Maxwell is on trial for his crimes. Again, even as a kid I got what they were going for with the Rose and Valerie line. Maxwell is a charming anti-hero who the girls can't help but like...they just don't believe the charges against him, they're not having it...he's the kind of guy who can get away with anything. Which he continues to do by the conclusion of the song, somehow dispatching even the judge presiding over his very trial.

It's a testimony to the Beatles' skill that they could create a sense of immersion and world-building even in this one ridiculous song which is almost a throwaway compared to the rest of the album.
Old 01-09-2019, 09:52 AM
Charter Member

The Glory of Love. "We'll live forever...." No, you will not. I always sing it:

We'll live together, knowing forever..." Not much better, but it does make more sense.

Last edited by Annie-Xmas; 01-09-2019 at 09:53 AM.
Old 01-09-2019, 09:56 AM

Don't know much about history
Don't know much biology
Don't know much about a science book,
Don't know much about the French I took
Don't know much about geography,
Don't know much trigonometry
Don't know much about algebra,
Don't know what a slide rule is for
But I do know that one and one is two,
And if this one could be with you,
What a wonderful world this would be

Well, now that you've explained to me what a complete ignoramus you are, yes I'm definitely interested in you!
Old 01-09-2019, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobDog View Post
It sounds as though he's disappointed too. So what, exactly, was he hoping to do with his Chevy, in a wet levy?
Kill himself, as the music had died and life wasn't worth living anymore. "This'll be the day that I die".
Old 01-09-2019, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamoral View Post
Even as a young kid listening to Abbey Road on cassette in the early 90s, I got the gist of this song.
I'll wager here that most of us deduced the same, and I'm not sure if you were wondering, but I did too (hence the point of this exercise). (the vast majority of posts in this thread could have been responded to in that same way.)

"The need inside you
I see it showin'
Whoa, the seed inside ya

Baby, do you feel it growing
Are you happy you know it
That you're

[Paul & Odia:]
Having my baby"

Thanks for sharing, PA.
But how have the lamaze classes been going?
No deets on iron deficiency anomia?
These lyrics aren't in-my-face enough.

"The road I cruise is a bitch now baby
You know you can't turn me 'round
And if a house gets in my way baby
You know I'll burn it down
You remember the night that you left me
You put me in my place
Got you in a stranglehold baby
You're gone, I crushed your face"

Well then, Nuge, aren't you just the exemplar of chivalry.
Any other ditties about domestic issues?
Old 01-09-2019, 01:32 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markn+ View Post

Don't know much about history
Don't know much biology
Don't know much about a science book,
Don't know much about the French I took
Don't know much about geography,
Don't know much trigonometry
Don't know much about algebra,
Don't know what a slide rule is for
But I do know that one and one is two,
And if this one could be with you,
What a wonderful world this would be

Well, now that you've explained to me what a complete ignoramus you are, yes I'm definitely interested in you!
Could be worse. Imagine trying to impress a girl by telling her you built a house out of rattlesnakes with a chimney made out of human skulls.

And if that girl then responds by taking your hand and telling you she understands, you're both in trouble.
Old 01-09-2019, 02:23 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chefguy View Post
"I bought a 30 Ford wagon and we call it a woodie." That's because you're a dick, friend.
In case you're serious, a "woodie" was a station wagon type vehicle with a wooden back. They were popular with surfers because their surfboards fit in them.

Let it go...
That's right, let's just give up. Actually this whole song sounds like she's about to become a super villain.
"I'll show them, I'll show them all! They dare to mock the insidious Absolute Zero?"
Old 01-09-2019, 03:01 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markn+ View Post
Don't know much ...

Aw c'mon, this is hardly the only song that says "I may not be much in the brains department (or looks, or money, or...), but I love you." For example, XTC's "Mayor of Simpleton" is more or less an update of this.
Old 01-09-2019, 03:15 PM

Quote:
"Well, I'd rather see you dead, little girl
Than to be with another man
You better keep your head, little girl
Or you won't know where I am
[later]
Baby, I'm determined
And I'd rather see you dead"

Roity roit then.
John - you misogynistic, homicidal scumbag piece of shit.
Especially as this charming little ditty appears on the same album as "Norweigan Wood," considered by many to be John's subtle admission of an illicit overnight tryst.

Right up there on the self-parody board with Pat Benetar, who paired "Hit Me With Your Best Shot" on the same album with "Hell Is For Children," a song about child abuse.
Old 01-09-2019, 03:52 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptMurdock View Post
Right up there on the self-parody board with Pat Benetar, who paired "Hit Me With Your Best Shot" on the same album with "Hell Is For Children," a song about child abuse.
I'm not seeing your point here.

"Hell Is For Children" is, as you note, a song about child abuse which the singer clearly comes out against.

"Hit Me With Your Best Shot" is addressed to some guy who apparently is happy with his reputation as somebody who loves and leaves them (You're a real tough cookie with a long history/Of breaking little hearts like the one in me). And the singer is saying he won't succeed with her because she is emotionally secure (Knock me down, it's all in vain/I get right back on my feet again).

I think it's clear that the song isn't about physical abuse. I suppose you could argue that it's just as bad if it's about emotional or psychological abuse. But the song isn't saying the singer will just endure the abuse. She's saying she's strong enough that his attempts at "negging" her won't effect her.
Old 01-09-2019, 03:57 PM

^ Affect her.

Hey, it's what we do here.
Old 01-09-2019, 04:23 PM

Quote:
I just hope this doesn't become an eventual Jon Anderson pit thread.
Can we at least burn his children's laughter?

I've mostly just taken Yes lyrics as just another sound, not something to take a lot of meaning from.

On another note, I think that freely admitting that you shot the sheriff is not the greatest defense strategy. And if you didn't shoot the deputy, who are you saying did it? A second shooter on the grassy knoll?
Old 01-09-2019, 06:43 PM

Iím surprised no oneís yet brought up this one:

I pulled my harpoon out of my dirty red bandanna
And was blowing sad while Bobbi sang the blues...

The hellíd you fit a harpoon in a bandanna, Kris? And more to the point, why?

If youíre up there then youíll perceive
That my heartís here upon my sleeve.
If thereís one thing I donít believe in
Itís you,
dear God.

Then whyíd you write Him a six-verse diss track?
Old 01-09-2019, 07:00 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
"Well, I'd rather see you dead, little girl
Than to be with another man
Well, if you are that averse to being with another man, John, then don't do it. Nobody's making you fuck guys.
Old 01-09-2019, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow Moving Vehicle View Post

If youíre up there then youíll perceive
That my heartís here upon my sleeve.
If thereís one thing I donít believe in
Itís you,
dear God.

Then whyíd you write Him a six-verse diss track?
Harpoon is heroin syringe.
Old 01-09-2019, 09:01 PM
Charter Member

Harpoon is also a harmonica, which makes more sense in this context.
Old 01-09-2019, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayT View Post
Yes I guess I was thinking of Janis.
Old 01-09-2019, 11:49 PM

The one I always bring up in these kinds of threads: Your Love Is Driving Me Crazy, by Sammy Hagar.

... hot, sweet cherries on the vine ...

Last time I checked, cherries grew on trees, not vines. And all that work to rhyme with “sublime,” I think it is. An awfully big word for a Sammy Hagar song.
Old 01-10-2019, 01:56 AM
Charter Member

Quote:

Little known fact; there's a typo in that line. In the original lyrics the singer was blowing Sid. Which explains why Bobbi was so upset.
Old 01-10-2019, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steophan View Post
Kill himself, as the music had died and life wasn't worth living anymore. "This'll be the day that I die".
Ahhhhhh. OK. That makes sense. Thank you.

Last edited by RobDog; 01-10-2019 at 08:41 AM.
Old 01-10-2019, 09:06 AM
Charter Member

The Pina Colada song kills me. The singer answers a personal ad that states: If you have half a brain.

I'm not going to advertise for half a brain.
Old 01-10-2019, 10:21 AM
Charter Member

Tom Paxton's Morning Again:

Someone's morning begins,
And down on the pavement the traffic is roaring,
I make more coffee and catch myself pouring one for you.
Someone's morning begins,
The radio gives me advice with my dishes,
I'm tripping myself on the things that I wish I had done for you.

"The radio gives me advice with my dishes"? What is that, a commercial for dish washing detergent.

I changed it to "I have to get up and do all these dishes. The poor singer is so busy morning his lost love that he is unable to even do the mundane acts of every day life, and his table is covered with dirty cups and saucers.
Old 01-10-2019, 02:02 PM
Charter Member

Springsteen's "Glory Days", the line about his baseball-playing buddy throwing a speedball. A speedball is what killed John Belushi.
Old 01-10-2019, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Nemo View Post
Little known fact; there's a typo in that line. In the original lyrics the singer was blowing Sid. Which explains why Bobbi was so upset.
SNORT! Now I have this image of a big sweaty redneck named Sid, who must have been the driver that picked them up, looking over at Kris and saying, "Yew got a purty mouth, boy." Gives a whole 'nother interpretation to the next line:

Rode us all the way to New Orleans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayT View Post
Given the existence of rapist truckers on the Baton Rouge-to-New Orleans highway, I see why Kris felt the need for a bigass spear...
Old 01-10-2019, 02:53 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
SNORT! Now I have this image of a big sweaty redneck named Sid, who must have been the driver that picked them up, looking over at Kris and saying, "Yew got a purty mouth, boy." Gives a whole 'nother interpretation to the next line:

Rode us all the way to New Orleans.

Given the existence of rapist truckers on the Baton Rouge-to-New Orleans highway, I see why Kris felt the need for a bigass spear...
I am picturing an old and seedy-looking Sid Haig, and a very young Kris Kristofferson.
Old 01-10-2019, 05:38 PM

From Slade's Mama We're Crazy Now

"And you tease me, and all my ladies desert me"

You're boo-hoo'ing about some (skankadelic, if at all) alleged harem of yours?
Old 01-10-2019, 06:45 PM

Hm, I think I left out an "All" somewhere.

I know, this,
much, is,
TRUE

Ok ok you're sincere, then!