Old 01-09-2019, 05:09 PM

Whats's the most surprising work of art/culture that you'd never heard of?

So, I recently learned that Wings's "Mull of Kintyre" is one of the best-selling singles of all time in the UK and a big hit in many other countries.

I also recently learned that Wing's "Mull of Kintyre" exists at all. And on a quick listen, it's not one of those "heard a million times but didn't pay attention to" songs -- I don't think I've ever heard this song before.

I'm somewhat baffled by that. Admittedly, I live in the US, where it was only a minor hit. But I'm also a big fan of British music and like Wings and solo McCartney enough that I have a few of their / his albums. Apparently I missed a big one. Heck, it's one of only two songs (along with "Yesterday") that are mentioned "above the fold" on Sir Paul's Wikipedia page.

So, Dopers, make me feel less lonely. Are there any wildly popular bits of culture that flew ENTIRELY off your radar much longer than should have, in retrospect, been possible?
Old 01-09-2019, 05:39 PM
Charter Member

I had never heard of The Dream of the Red Chamber. A quick search shows that it was first published in the 1790s, translated into English multiple times starting more than 200 years ago, has been adapted into at least two dozen movie or TV screenplays as well as an opera, and is one of the all-time best selling works of fiction.
Old 01-09-2019, 11:07 PM

Don't mean to be rude, but this is another "I'm American and I don't understand how I don't know everything 100's of millions of others know." thread.

There are countless movies, shows, songs, books, stories etc. that are know to hundreds of millions in India, China and elsewhere around the world that we've never heard of. You've probably at least heard his name westernized name, Confucious, but do you know his name is Kong Fu and that Tzu is an honorary title for Master> And do you know anything about the Analects which is collection of his sayings. Well, just about every one of the 1.4 billion Chinese knows at least of the verses from them and if they've had any kind of schooling, were thought to read the verses by rote. And over 1 billion Hindus around around the world know the Bhagavad Gita, if not by heart, the tenents of it.

In popular culture, ever heard of Produce 101 - China? What about [I]Rocket Girls[/I, the group formed by the reality program.]Well, over 340 million viewers (more the the population of the U.S.) watched the first episode. And 4.3 billion views combined of all it's episodes.
https://pandaily.com/produce-101-beg...e-idol-groups/

On a global scale, how many of the Top 100 most viewed YouTube videos have you seen? https://pandaily.com/produce-101-beg...e-idol-groups/. I've seen three (Gangdam Style, Baby Shark Dance, Bang Bang only because of my recent interest in KPop. One of my favorite KPop groups did an amazing cover of Bang Bang. And have heard Roar from this recent Top 15 list only because it was played repeatedly on the radio during my morning drive. https://influencermarketinghub.com/1...s-of-all-time/

And of course there's the mystery of David Hasselhoff's popularity in Germany!

BTW, I'm nearing my 6th decade on Earth and was born and raised in Hawaii, so no, I haven't been living under rock.

Oh, I've known about the Dream of the Red Chamber for decades, even have an English language version of it. I've tried reading it and watching various screen versions of it, but never got more than a few pages or minutes into it.

Last edited by lingyi; 01-09-2019 at 11:11 PM.
Old 01-09-2019, 11:14 PM

Edit: Link to Top 100 Most Viewed Youtube Videos: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...YouTube_videos
Old 01-09-2019, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lingyi View Post
Don't mean to be rude, but this is another "I'm American and I don't understand how I don't know everything 100's of millions of others know." thread.
Nonsense. The OP is about things that you would expect to encounter given your cultural background, but somehow do not.
Old 01-09-2019, 11:33 PM
Charter Member

Well, if we take the OP literally, it's obviously unanswerable.

For me, apparently, it's Walter Mitty. I just googled terms on this message board that would remind me of big gaping black holes on cultural knowledge I would have, and, apparently (I don't remember this), I started a thread five years ago asking about how well known Walter Mitty is. And, apparently, I completely forgot about it, because I have no clue who he is now, after starting a thread about it.
Old 01-10-2019, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riemann View Post
Nonsense. The OP is about things that you would expect to encounter given your cultural background, but somehow do not.
Given that criteria, there are hundreds of songs on hundreds of albums, B-sides of records and CDs from popular American and British artists that were big hits overseas, but not in their native country.

BTW, if you count the main members of Wings (Paul and Linda, and Denny Laine), Wings was a British, not American band. At most a British/American Band.

Same with American movies that are big flops in America, but do gangbusters overseas, especially currently in China.

Last edited by lingyi; 01-10-2019 at 12:14 AM.
Old 01-10-2019, 12:17 AM

Edit: The OP stated Wings is a British band. I thought he/she claimed it was American.

I stand by my assertion that the OP reads like "I'm American and should be aware of everything that's popular anywhere in the world!", especially if the band, movie, TV show, book, etc. originated in the West. *SIGH*

Last edited by lingyi; 01-10-2019 at 12:20 AM.
Old 01-10-2019, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Given that criteria, there are hundreds of songs on hundreds of albums, B-sides of records and CDs from popular American and British artists that were big hits overseas, but not in their native country.
Quote:
I stand by my assertion that the OP reads like "I'm American and should be aware of everything that's popular anywhere in the world!"...
Still nope. You just seem to want to talk about your hobby horse of cultural parochialism, but that's not what the OP is about.

Although OP is American, he said quite clearly that he's a fan of British music / Wings / McCartney, and that's why he's surprised he never came across it before. The OP is about works that are generally extremely well known to everyone else with your cultural background, whatever that is, but that somehow (oddly) you never encountered until much later.

Last edited by Riemann; 01-10-2019 at 12:32 AM.
Old 01-10-2019, 06:20 AM

I was surprised that I didn't know anything about the Beatles. I'd heard of /She loves you yeah yeah yeah/ in '68 (although I didn't know it was the Beatles), but after that I just thought they were some historical group.

Years later I found out that they broke up in 1970.

Ok, I was pre-teen, my parents didn't have any interest in that kind of music, and I was off-grid in 1969, but it was a surprise when I realized that I had overlapped with ??? one of the great music sensations of western music in the 20th century ???, whose music clocked a generation, I was there and didn't even know it was happening.
Old 01-10-2019, 06:41 AM
Charter Member

I first heard the Queen song Don't Stop Me Now when it was used in the movie Shaun Of The Dead. I am very familiar with Queen, and I thought I at least had heard of, if not thoroughly enjoyed, all their successful hits, but I had absolutely never heard Don't Stop Me Now ever before then. I don't know how I missed it, especially as it's on their notoriously popular Greatest Hits album.
Old 01-10-2019, 06:56 AM

That's happened to me a couple times. Probably the most telling one would be the 1968 movie Head. It was a film that starred The Monkees that was made shortly after their TV series ended. I was unaware of its existence until I found a copy on video tape in the 90s. It has since become one of my favorite films.
Old 01-10-2019, 10:09 AM

GuanoLad, same! I was even in a bit of a Queen phase when that movie came out and had been listening to a bunch of their stuff. That song completely caught me off guard.

lingyi, nope. For me not to know a popular work in China is completely unsurprising. I don't know Chinese culture / literature very well at all. This isn't "what's the most famous work you never heard of." It's "what work is most surprising to you that hadn't heard of." The song I mentioned in OP is a massive hit by an artist I like enough that I wrote a homework biography of him, dressed as him at a costume party, and actually own and listen to his lesser-known solo work. That's flippin' surprising to me.
Old 01-10-2019, 11:22 AM

A couple of years ago, I wound up working security for a Michael Jackson musical. Obviously, this featured a collection of his best known hits, but, oddly, this being after his death, there was one new one. This confused me (especially by the 5th show I worked). Maybe some obscure song never released in the UK? Possibly they'd dredged it up from some written-but-never released stuff? But the audience all seemed to know it Maybe they were all just huuuge fans (for all they seemed like a bunch of drunk hen nights, hence the security)?

Alternatively, I somehow never heard 'Billie Jean' until I was in my late 20s. It's everywhere. They play it all the time on local radio. I still don't understand what happened there.
Old 01-10-2019, 11:34 AM
Charter Member

A few weeks ago my husband and I were listening to the radio and Billy Joel's Keeping the Faith came on. My husband had never heard it before. We are both Americans who don't live underneath a rock; I have no idea how he freakin' avoided this tune since 1984.
Old 01-10-2019, 12:32 PM

OK, so it's down to me to say that, until post #2 above, I had never heard of Dream of the Red Chamber.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulykamell View Post
Well, if we take the OP literally, it's obviously unanswerable.
Yeah, but I think is a close as we can possibly get.

j
Old 01-10-2019, 01:50 PM
Charter Member

When Rickrolling first became popular I didn't have a clue who Rick Astley was, although I think I'd heard the song before.
I never heard of Roy Orbison until after he died.
Re: Dream of the Red Chamber. Honestly I can think of at least three popular Japanese stories I'd be willing to bet a vast majority of Americans have never heard of.

Last edited by furryman; 01-10-2019 at 01:54 PM.
Old 01-10-2019, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by furryman View Post
Re: Dream of the Red Chamber. Honestly I can think of at least three popular Japanese stories I'd be willing to bet a vast majority of Americans have never heard of.
When did we land in Japan?

I hear Legend of the Eagle-Shooting Heroes has finally been translated into English? If nobody translates these kinds of novels, then it is not surprising if they fail to capture a completely global audience like Harry Potter which is even available in bad Latin.
Old 01-10-2019, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPRK View Post
...even available in bad Latin.

Istermay andway Issusmay Ursleyday, ofway umbernay ourfay, Ivetpray Ivedray, ereway oudpray otay aysay atthay eythay ereway erfectlypay ormalnay, ankthay ouyay eryvay uchmay.

Eythay ereway ethay astlay eoplepay ou'dyay expectway otay ebay involvedway inway anythingway angestray orway ysteriousmay, ecausebay eythay ustjay idn'tday oldhay ithway uchsay onsensenay.

(I'm amassing a collection, in everything from Welsh to Esperanto)
Old 01-10-2019, 10:40 PM

Quote:
When did we land in Japan?

I hear Legend of the Eagle-Shooting Heroes has finally been translated into English? If nobody translates these kinds of novels, then it is not surprising if they fail to capture a completely global audience like Harry Potter which is even available in bad Latin.
Shh...we're only supposed to talk about American / British-centric things.

I just checked and yes, it's available on eBay on Amazon. It's only two volumes though, where the Chinese versions have four, so don't know if there's two more coming. Vol. 1 is reasonable st <$10 used, but Vol. 2 is $20. I'll wait until it's available as an eBook anyway.

As for Japanese stories, the only novel off the top of my head is Tale of Genjil and several short stories like Momotaro, The Snow Woman and The Man with a Wen, though I've read a lot more.
Old 01-10-2019, 11:08 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dung Beetle View Post
A few weeks ago my husband and I were listening to the radio and Billy Joel's Keeping the Faith came on. My husband had never heard it before. We are both Americans who don't live underneath a rock; I have no idea how he freakin' avoided this tune since 1984.
Huh. I don't recognize this song at all, either. And I've actually owned a couple Billy Joel albums in my time.
Old 01-11-2019, 01:50 AM

Quote:
I just checked and yes, it's available on eBay on Amazon. It's only two volumes though, where the Chinese versions have four, so don't know if there's two more coming. Vol. 1 is reasonable st <$10 used, but Vol. 2 is $20. I'll wait until it's available as an eBook anyway.
Now you have got me clicking... it seems the fans have it covered, though I do not see an e-book version (could it be rights issues preventing that, if Amazon is now publishing a different translation?) The only surprising thing is that a book that popular remained untranslated for decades, professionally or otherwise.

ETA Wikipedia says the whole series is going to be published in English by MacLehose press, in 12 volumes. So you might be waiting a while for that omnibus official ebook.

Anyway, sorry for the digression....

Last edited by DPRK; 01-11-2019 at 01:54 AM.
Old 01-11-2019, 07:55 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Huh. I don't recognize this song at all, either. And I've actually owned a couple Billy Joel albums in my time.
Looking through his list of Top 25 hits, it looks like I know most of them, but there are a couple I have no recollection of. "Modern Woman" (which peaked at #10 on the charts) is the highest-ranked one. "Keeping the Faith" looks like it only made it to #18 on the Top 40, so I must have just missed it the first time around, and it doesn't seem like stations around here play it. "This is the Time" is the other one I never heard, or at least have no recollection of. All the other ones I'm very familiar with (up to the point that I could play several of them on the piano.)
Old 01-11-2019, 08:18 AM

Actually, it is surprising to me that I didn't know that there was a Chinese version of Produce 101 until just now. My wife is from China, and we watch a lot of Chinese and Korean TV, and listen to KPop and Mandopop. We watched the first two seasons of the original Korean version of Produce 101 and are familiar with the groups that came out of that - I.O.I. and Wanna One (we know of, but didn't watch, Produce 48). We also have heard music from Rocket Girls 101, and I even wondered why they had that "101" tacked onto the end of their name. It should have at least been on my radar but I never made the connection.
Old 01-11-2019, 08:28 AM

For some reason I made it through the 80s till recently without hearing Yazoo's ”Situation”. Love that song. Then I found out it was sung by a woman and that blew my mind further.
Old 01-11-2019, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kunilou View Post
I had never heard of The Dream of the Red Chamber. A quick search shows that it was first published in the 1790s, translated into English multiple times starting more than 200 years ago, has been adapted into at least two dozen movie or TV screenplays as well as an opera, and is one of the all-time best selling works of fiction.
I never heard of it by that name, but I've seen the Penguin edition of it under its other name, The Story of the Stone many times. I still haven't read it, though.

as for bits of Pop Culture I managed to avoid for a long time, I somehow never encountered Billy Joel's Scenes from an Italian Restaurant until only a few years ago. I have no idea how I missed it, especially since I 've found that I really like it.

Last edited by CalMeacham; 01-11-2019 at 08:57 AM.
Old 01-11-2019, 09:58 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalMeacham View Post
I never heard of it by that name, but I've seen the Penguin edition of it under its other name, The Story of the Stone many times. I still haven't read it, though.

as for bits of Pop Culture I managed to avoid for a long time, I somehow never encountered Billy Joel's Scenes from an Italian Restaurant until only a few years ago. I have no idea how I missed it, especially since I 've found that I really like it.
That's a long one (clocking in at over seven minutes), so I don't think it gets anywhere near the radio play his 3-minute pop ditties do. That said, it's always heralding as being among his greatest work, if not his greatest, so it does get some play out there every once in awhile. But I'm not surprised someone could have avoided it for the longest time. [heh]
Old 01-11-2019, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet Jaguar View Post
Actually, it is surprising to me that I didn't know that there was a Chinese version of Produce 101 until just now. My wife is from China, and we watch a lot of Chinese and Korean TV, and listen to KPop and Mandopop. We watched the first two seasons of the original Korean version of Produce 101 and are familiar with the groups that came out of that - I.O.I. and Wanna One (we know of, but didn't watch, Produce 48). We also have heard music from Rocket Girls 101, and I even wondered why they had that "101" tacked onto the end of their name. It should have at least been on my radar but I never made the connection.
If you know Rocket Girls 101, you and your wife owe it to yourselves to what Produce 101 China. Especially for the amazing rise of Chao Yue, who is a true successor to So Hye's legacy.
Old 01-11-2019, 11:11 AM

Quote:
If you know Rocket Girls 101, you and your wife owe it to yourselves to what Produce 101 China. Especially for the amazing rise of Chao Yue, who is a true successor to So Hye's legacy.
BTW, I (and many others) couldn't believe Chao Yue was really that loveable/huggable/honest person she is on the show and now. Here's her first audition that eventually lead her to the show https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jmlapPOlkaA and she also did a number of Tik Tok videos https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...ao+yue+tik+tok in cosplay.
Old 01-11-2019, 11:41 AM

I think it was on these boards with a "Worst Xmas songs ever" thread that everyone kept mentioning The Christmas Shoes and how they hear it all the time and can't escape it.
I had to look it up on Youtube to hear it and had never before heard that song. And I listen to plenty of "Holiday music 24-7" stations every December. I still never hear that song being played.
Old 01-11-2019, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hampshire View Post
I think it was on these boards with a "Worst Xmas songs ever" thread that everyone kept mentioning The Christmas Shoes and how they hear it all the time and can't escape it.
I hadn't heard that one either; I think it was most popular a while back specifically in Christian Contemporary Christmas playlists. If you were listening to "normal" or "traditional" or even "religious" Christmas, you wouldn't probably hear it. There's apparently a whole pile of Christmas CCM songs that are super familiar to folks raised in the CCM scene that I've never heard. "Christmas Shoes" managed to escape that orbit with its pure glurgey awfulness.
Old 01-11-2019, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hampshire View Post
I had to look it up on Youtube to hear it and had never before heard that song. And I listen to plenty of "Holiday music 24-7" stations every December. I still never hear that song being played.
That reminds me that I don't remember every hearing the Christmas song "Baby, It's Cold Outside" until this past year's kerfuffle about its lyrics promoting date rape. I don't even remember hearing the song's title til this year. The news reports always describe the song as "Christmas classic"; I'm just thinking to myself if it's such a classic how come I've never heard of it? Was it really that big Christmas song? (For record, I am 43 years old.)
Old 01-11-2019, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorvann View Post
That reminds me that I don't remember every hearing the Christmas song "Baby, It's Cold Outside" until this past year's kerfuffle about its lyrics promoting date rape.
It's big enough that I'm pretty sure you win the thread so far. It's a wildly ubiquitous song and has been for a long time, although it did get a big bump in popularity after the move "Elf" came out and Zooey Deschanel's version got put into holiday rotations. And this is at least the third or fourth year where its "date rape" vibe has been a talking point.
Old 01-11-2019, 01:46 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorvann View Post
That reminds me that I don't remember every hearing the Christmas song "Baby, It's Cold Outside" until this past year's kerfuffle about its lyrics promoting date rape. I don't even remember hearing the song's title til this year. The news reports always describe the song as "Christmas classic"; I'm just thinking to myself if it's such a classic how come I've never heard of it? Was it really that big Christmas song? (For record, I am 43 years old.)
I'm exactly the same age as you, but I do remember the song as being a winter/Christmastime standard. And this year isn't the first year the lyrical content has been discussed (we even had a thread here on the Dope two years ago debating it.)

That said, "Christmas Shoes" I'm only very tangentially aware of, only through Straight Dope Threads and lists of "Worst Christmas Songs Ever." Listening to it now, I don't think I'd be able to identify it from just a snippet. And I don't think I've ever heard this one in the wild, but it's also one of those bland sounding songs that would just melt into the background if I had ever heard it, or I would change the radio station because of the, I dunno, 80s Christian Adult Contemporary sound of it (wow...Wiki says this came out in 1999/2000?).

Oh, which reminds me, "Alice's Restaurant." I don't think I became aware of that song (and it being a Thanksgiving staple for some) until an SDMB thread, probably around ten years ago. That one I have heard in the wild a couple times since.
Old 01-11-2019, 05:55 PM

Quote:
I'll check it out. I'll also ask my in-laws if they have seen it. They also live with us and watch a lot of singing competition shows.
Old 01-11-2019, 06:09 PM

Never heard of Pulp Fiction until recently. Had to Wikipedia it.
Old 01-11-2019, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocity View Post
Never heard of Pulp Fiction until recently. Had to Wikipedia it.
Worth seeing. It's my sweet little almost-a-nun wife's favorite.
[Really, hon?]
Yep, turns out she loves good writing, to the extent that she'll put up with a lot of violence for it.
Old 01-11-2019, 07:32 PM
Charter Member

The closest thing I can think of is I had heard of the song "What a Fool Believes" by the Doobie Brothers, and I had heard the song "What a Fool Believes" by the Doobie Brothers, but until 2 or so years ago I didn't know they were the same song, even though the lyrics were right there in the chorus! I guess they were mumbled just enough to be ununderstandable to me.
Old 01-11-2019, 07:35 PM
Charter Member

Similarly, last month I heard "Big Yellow Taxi" by Joni Mitchell for the first time, and I'm pretty sure I hadn't heard it in the background somewhere along the line, because while I recognized the lyrics of the chorus from having read them, the melody of the chorus seemed completely new to me. But Big Yellow Taxi was a bit before the years in which I would have been expected to have heard it constantly, and it may not have had the staying power to stay on the radio until I could hear it.
Old 01-11-2019, 09:01 PM

I had never heard of the short story The Little Match Girl before I saw a reference to it in an anime a couple of years ago. It was a bit odd learning about a fairly famous Christmas story by a Dutch author in a Japanese work. Then, a couple of weeks later, I saw the story referenced in a completely different anime. Later on, I realized that a third anime that I had seen previously had also made an oblique reference to it that I didn't catch at the time. I guess the story made an impression on Japanese culture for whatever reason.
Old 01-11-2019, 09:06 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludovic View Post
Similarly, last month I heard "Big Yellow Taxi" by Joni Mitchell for the first time, and I'm pretty sure I hadn't heard it in the background somewhere along the line, because while I recognized the lyrics of the chorus from having read them, the melody of the chorus seemed completely new to me. But Big Yellow Taxi was a bit before the years in which I would have been expected to have heard it constantly, and it may not have had the staying power to stay on the radio until I could hear it.
There were a couple of semi-popular-to-popular covers of it in the 90s and 00s. I remember in the mid-90s, Amy Grant's version seemed to get a lot of play, at least around here, although it only seems to have hit #67 on the Hot 100. Then, in 2003, Counting Crowes had a cover which hit #42 on the Hot 100, and I still hear that version on those 90s throwback stations. (This version in particular was panned by many critics, making a few "worst of 2000s" lists.)

Last edited by pulykamell; 01-11-2019 at 09:07 PM.
Old 01-11-2019, 09:41 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuanoLad View Post
I first heard the Queen song Don't Stop Me Now when it was used in the movie Shaun Of The Dead. I am very familiar with Queen, and I thought I at least had heard of, if not thoroughly enjoyed, all their successful hits, but I had absolutely never heard Don't Stop Me Now ever before then. I don't know how I missed it, especially as it's on their notoriously popular Greatest Hits album.
There have been multiple incarnations of their Greatest Hits. "My" version was the 1981 U.S. version, which didn't have "Don't Stop Me Now" (nor "Seven Seas of Rhye"), so I wasn't familiar with those songs until a lot later when I dug deeper into their catalog.
Old 01-11-2019, 09:50 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Then, in 2003, Counting Crowes had a cover which hit #42 on the Hot 100, and I still hear that version on those 90s throwback stations
Wait, that doesn't make sense. I guess I hear it on stations that do 80s, 90s, and touch into the early 00s. Like I said, that song was 2003, but I always think of the Crowes as mid-90s, hence the 90s throwback station comment.
Old 01-11-2019, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by typoink View Post
It's big enough that I'm pretty sure you win the thread so far. It's a wildly ubiquitous song and has been for a long time, although it did get a big bump in popularity after the move "Elf" came out and Zooey Deschanel's version got put into holiday rotations. And this is at least the third or fourth year where its "date rape" vibe has been a talking point.
I find Will Ferrell to be really annoying so I've never watched "Elf" and I don't think I've ever heard Zooey Deschanel singing before. I didn't even realize she was a singer. (I stopped following popular music closely when Grunge music died and Hip-Hop/Rap took over.)

Also I really don't listen to the radio so most of the Christmas songs I know are the more traditional ones.

Last edited by dorvann; 01-11-2019 at 10:25 PM.
Old 01-11-2019, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by typoink View Post
So, I recently learned that Wings's "Mull of Kintyre" is one of the best-selling singles of all time in the UK and a big hit in many other countries.
...holy coincidink! I literally opened this thread as "Mull of Kintyre" starts playing on my Spotify playlist. My jaw just literally dropped.

Nothing else to add: but this just happened and I had to share
Old 01-11-2019, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet Jaguar View Post
I'll check it out. I'll also ask my in-laws if they have seen it. They also live with us and watch a lot of singing competition shows.
Oh, since you and your wife are KPop and IOI fans, I highly recommend King of Mask Singer (which puts the American version to utter shame) if you haven't already seen it. Lots of KPop stars prove they can really sing. So far from IOI, everyone except So Hye, Somi and Chae Yeon have appeared on the the show.
Old 01-11-2019, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rysto View Post
I had never heard of the short story The Little Match Girl before I saw a reference to it in an anime a couple of years ago. It was a bit odd learning about a fairly famous Christmas story by a Dutch author in a Japanese work. Then, a couple of weeks later, I saw the story referenced in a completely different anime. Later on, I realized that a third anime that I had seen previously had also made an oblique reference to it that I didn't catch at the time. I guess the story made an impression on Japanese culture for whatever reason.
What Dutch story do you suggest Andersen ripped off?

I have definitely had the odd experience of some random story sounding a little bit too familiar, and, yes, it turns out it was stolen from One Thousand and One Nights or a Russian fairy tale or something similar.
Old 01-11-2019, 11:33 PM

Quote:
What Dutch story do you suggest Andersen ripped off?
Uh, none. Like I said, I'm not very familiar with the story. I misremembered the author as Dutch rather than Danish.
Old 01-12-2019, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rysto View Post
I suspect it's because the story fits well into Asian culture (I've seen Chinese, Korean and Japanese live action takes on the story), because it questions what is reality? Most of the great Asian philosophers (Buddha, Confucious, Lao Tzu, Chuang Tzu and more) struggled with this.

Bringing back a little bit to this thread, it wasn't until I read Chuang Tzu's works (short stories unlike the short poems of the more well know Tao de Ching by Lao Tzu), that I learned the origin of the man who dreamed he was a butterfly, only to awaken and question if he wasn't really a butterfly dreaming he was a man!
Old 01-12-2019, 12:56 AM

Okay, I'll contribute something, even though it's about a Korean variety show. I didn't know anything about Running Man, the Korean variety / comedy / action show until 2015 when my friend wouldn't stop talking non-stop about it.

HEY lingyi! There you go spouting about things only Koreans know about! Nope! It's an international phenomenon that was ranked #9 in a Business Insider article about the “20 Most Popular TV Shows Of 2016” which had Game of Thrones and The Walking Dead as #1 & 2. The data is based on Parrot Analytics which..."uses a a metric called “demand expressions” to quantify the intensity of interest in a TV show. It’s derived from all the ways consumers express themselves — via Tweets or Facebook posts, through internet searches or even streaming it on sites like Popcorn Time.

This measurement provides another tool for studios, networks and platforms looking to understand audiences and make informed decisions about distribution, said Parrot Analytics CEO Wared Seger CEO, Parrot Analytics."

https://deadline.com/2018/07/cbs-stu...ts-1202432912/

Running Man was actually slated for cancellation at the end of 2016 due to low South Korean viewership and started a run of final episodes, but the international community spoke up and forced SBS (the Korean network) to revamp and continue the show, which has risen in the ratings in Korea since. There's now a Chinese version, Keep Running and probably somewhere in the works is an American version. *BIG SIGH*