Old 01-11-2019, 05:45 PM

Bird Box challenge

I have no idea what the movie is about but the "challenge" is to blindfold yourself and apparently do ordinary things. I guess one of the scenes is about driving a car that way so, yeah, kids are doing that. In the local news someone put on a blindfold while driving their pickup and promptly T-boned a small car. I saw another YouTube video where a young father blindfolds himself and two kids and they hold hands and started running, not walking, through the house. Dad puts his trusting toddler straight into a wall at full speed.

It will be a challenge for any participants to make it at all, but I guess that's the point. "Ooh, it's a challenge, let's do it!"

Dennis
Old 01-12-2019, 03:26 PM

Darwin was a tough, old bastard!
Old 01-12-2019, 04:34 PM

Not me. I have enough trouble with 2 working eyes not running into walls.
Old 01-12-2019, 04:49 PM

Bird Brain challenge is more accurate, IMO.
Old 01-12-2019, 05:11 PM
Charter Member

WTF is wrong with people these days? When I was a kid there were movies with people doing dangerous stuff but we knew better than to try to emulate them.
Old 01-12-2019, 05:18 PM

In the movie they don't drive a car blindfolded. They paint the windows and drive very slowly using GPS and proximity sensors.
Old 01-12-2019, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidm View Post
WTF is wrong with people these days? When I was a kid there were movies with people doing dangerous stuff but we knew better than to try to emulate them.
I don't know when you were born but there was that movie in the 80s that had to be pulled from theaters and reeditted because of a scene where somebody laid in the middle of the road at night as a test of courage and people kept emulating that scene and dying.
Old 01-12-2019, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asuka View Post
I don't know when you were born but there was that movie in the 80s that had to be pulled from theaters and reeditted because of a scene where somebody laid in the middle of the road at night as a test of courage and people kept emulating that scene and dying.
The Program, 1993
Old 01-12-2019, 05:35 PM

What the hell is this movie about, anyway? Spoil the shit out it for me. I won't see it.
Old 01-12-2019, 08:11 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatopescado View Post
What the hell is this movie about, anyway? Spoil the shit out it for me. I won't see it.
Monsters cause people to commit suicide at the mere sight of them, by putting them in a kind of hopeless state of mind, apparently something like "they have now seen the most beautiful thing ever, there's no point in living anymore, life can't get any better than this". To avoid glimpsing them, everyone stays indoors or wears blindfolds. The main plot is of a mother and her two young kids who try to reach a safe haven by travelling down a river blindfolded.
Old 01-13-2019, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuanoLad View Post
Monsters cause people to commit suicide at the mere sight of them, by putting them in a kind of hopeless state of mind...
Oh. A 'Love story'.

Old 01-13-2019, 01:09 AM
Charter Member

Sometimes, particularly in Winter, when I get home from work I close the door behind me and don't turn on the lights. It is interesting trying to do much anything in the dark and I take it really slowly.
Old 01-13-2019, 10:05 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixdenny View Post
I have no idea what the movie is about but the "challenge" is to blindfold yourself and apparently do ordinary things. I guess one of the scenes is about driving a car that way so, yeah, kids are doing that. In the local news someone put on a blindfold while driving their pickup and promptly T-boned a small car. I saw another YouTube video where a young father blindfolds himself and two kids and they hold hands and started running, not walking, through the house. Dad puts his trusting toddler straight into a wall at full speed.

It will be a challenge for any participants to make it at all, but I guess that's the point. "Ooh, it's a challenge, let's do it!"

Dennis
This is the society where some people eat Tide pods as a challenge.
Old 01-13-2019, 10:15 PM
Charter Member

There have always been a handful of stupid people in the world who do stupid things for stupid reasons. All that's changed nowadays is that now, everyone hears about and talks about those handful of stupid people. Like, do you know how many people took the "Tide pod challenge"? About 70. Out of the entire population of the United States. Yawn.
Old 01-14-2019, 09:16 AM
Charter Member

And how many ran their toddlers into a wall?
Old 01-14-2019, 10:18 AM

Some 80 years on, idiots are still swallowing live goldfish.