Old 01-12-2019, 01:06 PM
Charter Member

Best or worst album filler

Define "filler" any way you like.

A couple of my favorites:

"Her Majesty" from the Beatles' "Abbey Road".

"Mother's Lament" - the last track on Cream's "Disraeli Gears" album, a nice little throw-away a cappella rendition of a traditional folk song.

"Marais de Nuit" - the last track on Neko Case's "Middle Cyclone" album, consists of about 15 minutes of nighttime insect noises, or frogs croaking, or something. It's not something I like to listen to every time I listen to the album, but it's relaxing and fun to put on when you are trying to fall asleep at night.

Worst:

Top of the list has to be "Revolution 9" from the "White Album". What a waste of vinyl.

"Less Than You Think" from Wilco's "A Ghost Is Born". It's a nice little three-minute song followed by 12 minutes of annoying electronic droning.

The annoying interlude on the CD version of Tom Petty's "Full Moon Fever" while we wait for album/tape listeners to get up and turn it over to side two. It wouldn't be so bad if they had made it a separate track instead of tacking it onto the end of "Running Down A Dream".
Old 01-12-2019, 01:18 PM

Side 4 of All Things Must Pass. Some pretty good stuff, but you can't argue it isn't filler.

Tool pisses me off with all the hidden silent tracks.
Old 01-12-2019, 01:30 PM

A couple favorites:

The double hidden track at the end of Indigo Girls' album Come On Now Social - dead space, outtake of "Sister", long pause, then the song "Philosophy of Loss"
"Thank you, boys!" at the end of Jane's Addiction album Nothing's Shocking

A not-so-favorite:
"Forward March" on Pat Metheny Group's album First Circle
Old 01-12-2019, 01:43 PM
Head Cheese
Charter Member

I don't know whether this counts as filler, but how about side 2 of the Yellow Submarine album? I can't imagine that many people listened to it more than once, and a lot of people probably stopped listening after the first track.

Last edited by Jeff Lichtman; 01-12-2019 at 01:44 PM.
Old 01-12-2019, 01:47 PM
Corellian Nerfherder

Tom Petty's "Hello CD Listeners," from Full Moon Fever, with "barnyard noises" by Del Shannon and Jeff Lynne. It's 23 seconds long, and silly, but fun.

Edit: ugggh, I missed mention of this at the end of the OP>

Last edited by kenobi 65; 01-12-2019 at 01:49 PM.
Old 01-12-2019, 02:49 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatopescado View Post
Side 4 of All Things Must Pass. Some pretty good stuff, but you can't argue it isn't filler.
Are you sure you aren't thinking of Disc 3 (sides 5 & 6), the "Apple Jam" disc of mostly instrumental improvisation?
Old 01-12-2019, 03:21 PM
Charter Member

Back in the early days of CDs, it seems like the record companies liked to add a bunch of bonus tracks and previously unreleased material when releasing older albums in CD format. In many cases there was a good reason that material was not released in the first place. The CD version of Traffic's "John Barleycorn Must Die" had a couple of real stinkers tacked on.
Old 01-12-2019, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thudlow Boink View Post
Are you sure you aren't thinking of Disc 3 (sides 5 & 6), the "Apple Jam" disc of mostly instrumental improvisation?
Yeah, that's it. My CD copy is only 2 discs, and I don't remember if I ever had it on vinyl.
Old 01-12-2019, 07:17 PM

For the longest time in the 80s and 90s almost every comedy album would have at least one song, usually an unironically bad "rap" that was just one liners from the album put to a beat.
Old 01-12-2019, 07:56 PM

Would "Endless Nameless" from the first CD pressing of Nirvana's "Nevermind" count? This was a hidden track that popped up about 10 minutes after the rest of the album ended.
Old 01-12-2019, 08:08 PM

Would I be spitting on an icon if I said all the non-lyrical songs on, "Dark Side of the Moon," are filler? It's magnificent filler, to be sure.
Old 01-12-2019, 08:13 PM
Horrified Onlooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lichtman View Post
I don't know whether this counts as filler, but how about side 2 of the Yellow Submarine album? I can't imagine that many people listened to it more than once, and a lot of people probably stopped listening after the first track.
I've always enjoyed most of the tracks on that side of the album, but agree that I'm in the minority.
Old 01-12-2019, 08:19 PM

I still have no idea what the hell is going on with Hüsker Dü's The Baby Song. It's essentially just Grant Hart (I assume) messing around with what sounds like a child's flute and xylophone for 46 seconds.
Old 01-12-2019, 08:19 PM

The hidden track "Eurotrash Girl" from Cracker's Kerosene Hat album made it onto their Best of... album so apparently it was a pretty popular discovery among listeners.
Old 01-12-2019, 09:00 PM

Not a big fan of Free Form Guitar on Chicago Transit Authority.

I do love me some Revolution 9 though...
Old 01-12-2019, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoeless View Post
"Mother's Lament" - the last track on Cream's "Disraeli Gears" album, a nice little throw-away a cappella rendition of a traditional folk song.
Worth checking out; it's my kids' favorite song! Since toddler age, when they used to sit in the bathtub and beg me to belt it out in Full-On Bad Cockney.

Twenty years on, they'll still bribe me with a drink if I'll sing
"A muvvah was warshin' her BIYYY-by one noight..."
Old 01-12-2019, 09:32 PM
Charter Member

I love "Mother's Lament."

Procol Harum was generally a serious group, but "Mabel" is delightful. "Don't eat green meat. It ain't good for you."
"If a person saying he was something was all there was to it, this country'd be full of rich men and good-looking women. Too bad it isn't that easy.... In short, when someone else says you're a writer, that's when you're a writer... not before."
Purveyor of fine science fiction since 1982.
Old 01-12-2019, 10:31 PM
Shouting Grasshopper

Many think that ELP's Benny The Bouncer, Are You Ready Eddy? and The Sherriff are throwaway tracks, but I like them.

Same with Revolution 9...I didn't like it for a long time until I learned to accept it as a soundscape rather than a song. (It sounds really cool on the new 5.1 mix)

Last edited by blondebear; 01-12-2019 at 10:32 PM.
Old 01-12-2019, 11:28 PM

Vegetables!

Or should I say "Veg-eh-tay-bles"?

Here's the whole backstory, even addresses the question "Was the celery being crunched by Paul McCartney?"
Old 01-12-2019, 11:37 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jophiel View Post
The hidden track "Eurotrash Girl" from Cracker's Kerosene Hat album made it onto their Best of... album so apparently it was a pretty popular discovery among listeners.
I came on to mention “Eurotrash Girl” as one of my favorite fillers.

One of the worst pieces of filler from artists I hold in the highest esteem is “Nighttime in the Switching Yard” on Warren Zevon’s “Excitable Boy.”
Old 01-13-2019, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burpo the wonder mutt View Post
Would I be spitting on an icon if I said all the non-lyrical songs on, "Dark Side of the Moon," are filler? It's magnificent filler, to be sure.
Oh My Gawd, My Friend!

I was listening to 'Dark Side' on heavy rotation while out in the garage the last couple days, and was thinking of this thread today.

I didn't have the balls to post it first, but yeah, 'Dark Side' has some serious filler.

Good filler, maybe, but filler none the less.
Old 01-13-2019, 12:35 AM

And I'll say it: Wright and Gilmore were Pink Floyd.
Old 01-13-2019, 09:22 AM

Green Day's album Dookie ends with All By Myself. I wonder if they've ever played it in concert?
Old 01-13-2019, 09:24 AM

I like Styx's "Aku-Aku", a postlude to "Pieces of Eight"; and "Prelude 12", which is a prelude to "Suite Madame Blue".

Last edited by ekedolphin; 01-13-2019 at 09:25 AM.
Old 01-13-2019, 11:14 AM

Quote:
The annoying interlude on the CD version of Tom Petty's "Full Moon Fever" while we wait for album/tape listeners to get up and turn it over to side two. It wouldn't be so bad if they had made it a separate track instead of tacking it onto the end of "Running Down A Dream".
I agree that this is annoying, but the implementation of it is less annoying than you let on. It's not actually tacked onto the end of "Runnin' Down a Dream"; it's in the pregap of "I'll Feel a Whole Lot Better". Pregaps are a little-used feature of compact discs that allow you to put audio in negative time indexes of a track; they are normally played only when the previous track segues into the one with the pregap. If you listen to the tracks in isolation (such as when your CD player is in shuffle mode), or if you start playing the CD from the song with the pregap, you never hear the pregap.

For most listeners of Full Moon Fever, this means that they'll never hear the interlude except when listening to the full album. If you tell your CD player to play only "Runnin' Down a Dream" or "I'll Feel a Whole Lot Better", you won't hear it.
Old 01-13-2019, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKnowItAll View Post
A not-so-favorite:
"Forward March" on Pat Metheny Group's album First Circle
That one is a great musical parody, when they opened a concert with the band members all entering the auditorium through different doors, marching down the aisles playing discordant trumpets, and eventually meeting up on stage. But yeah, putting it on the album was a bad idea.
Old 01-13-2019, 12:54 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blondebear View Post
Same with Revolution 9...I didn't like it for a long time until I learned to accept it as a soundscape rather than a song. (It sounds really cool on the new 5.1 mix)
I accept Revolution #9 as a soundscape, or a tone poem, or an aural experiment, or whatever the hell apologists have called it over the last fifty years. It still sucks, I still hate it, and I still think it's one of the worst pieces of crap ever put on vinyl.
Old 01-13-2019, 01:13 PM

I love Alan's Psychedelic Breakfast on Atom Heart Mother by Pink Floyd.
Old 01-13-2019, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Me View Post
Green Day's album Dookie ends with All By Myself. I wonder if they've ever played it in concert?
they did al the time …...even when they did the dookie concert live on mtv……..
Old 01-13-2019, 01:50 PM

social distortion has a habit of playing covers they don't normally sing after the cd is over ..like "this diamond ring" which I liked and not many did and "ring of fire "….which I didn't and everyone else did
Old 01-13-2019, 02:08 PM

Fitter Happier, off Radiohead's OK Computer has sometimes been described as the only weak track on the album, to the point of being considered as a filler.

It was my third favourite song on it. I think it's quite evocative.
Et d’où ma vie s’égoutte au moindre mouvement
Old 01-13-2019, 02:29 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychonaut View Post
I agree that this is annoying, but the implementation of it is less annoying than you let on. It's not actually tacked onto the end of "Runnin' Down a Dream"; it's in the pregap of "I'll Feel a Whole Lot Better". Pregaps are a little-used feature of compact discs that allow you to put audio in negative time indexes of a track; they are normally played only when the previous track segues into the one with the pregap. If you listen to the tracks in isolation (such as when your CD player is in shuffle mode), or if you start playing the CD from the song with the pregap, you never hear the pregap.

For most listeners of Full Moon Fever, this means that they'll never hear the interlude except when listening to the full album. If you tell your CD player to play only "Runnin' Down a Dream" or "I'll Feel a Whole Lot Better", you won't hear it.
Your CD must be built differently than mine. My copy has Track 5 "Runnin' Down A Dream" as 4:52. The song itself ends around 4:20 and the remaining 30 or so seconds of the track is the "Hello CD listeners" bit. It's definitely all part of the "Runnin' Down A Dream" track, not the "Feel A Whole Lot Better" track, no matter how I listen to the songs.
Old 01-13-2019, 02:33 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Back in the early days of CDs, it seems like the record companies liked to add a bunch of bonus tracks and previously unreleased material when releasing older albums in CD format. In many cases there was a good reason that material was not released in the first place. The CD version of Traffic's "John Barleycorn Must Die" had a couple of real stinkers tacked on.
Replace the words "Back in" with "Ever since" and I'd agree with you. Hasn't it always been pretty common for CD re-releases to have bonus tracks? Live versions, remixes, demos, B-sides of singles, and previously unreleased songs all sometimes get tacked on as bonus tracks. Usually this stuff is, at best, of interest to fans but not something you'd want to listen to repeatedly, and, at worst, utterly pointless. But a few bands (e.g. The Kinks) have some great "lost" material that didn't make it onto their official releases.
Old 01-13-2019, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Your CD must be built differently than mine. My copy has Track 5 "Runnin' Down A Dream" as 4:52. The song itself ends around 4:20 and the remaining 30 or so seconds of the track is the "Hello CD listeners" bit. It's definitely all part of the "Runnin' Down A Dream" track, not the "Feel A Whole Lot Better" track, no matter how I listen to the songs.
Yeah, could be that some pressings altered the track layout. All the copies I've come across, purchased in North America within a few years of the album's original release, had the interlude in the pregap of track 6. When and where did you get your copy?
Old 01-13-2019, 02:51 PM

The most pointless and irritating filler I ever encountered were tracks 7 through 97 on my version of the Nine Inch Nails EP "Broken". Each track was four seconds of silence. Since the player I had at the time wouldn't allow you to go from the first track to the last track by hitting the back button, if I wanted to hear the bonus tracks (98 and 99) I had to hit the "next" button ninety times.
Old 01-13-2019, 02:54 PM
Horrified Onlooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by kunilou View Post
I accept Revolution #9 as a soundscape, or a tone poem, or an aural experiment, or whatever the hell apologists have called it over the last fifty years. It still sucks, I still hate it, and I still think it's one of the worst pieces of crap ever put on vinyl.
Well, it's a matter of opinion and personal taste, but I agree with everything you say. I like musique concrète, but I've always found Revolution #9 to be ugly and uninteresting. Unlistenable dreck.
Old 01-13-2019, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofishboy View Post
The most pointless and irritating filler I ever encountered were tracks 7 through 97 on my version of the Nine Inch Nails EP "Broken". Each track was four seconds of silence. Since the player I had at the time wouldn't allow you to go from the first track to the last track by hitting the back button, if I wanted to hear the bonus tracks (98 and 99) I had to hit the "next" button ninety times.
It also made my players random function totally useless. I really hated those stupid silences.
Old 01-13-2019, 03:43 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lichtman View Post

You’d be wrong, I think. I bet I’m not the only student that used it as study music in high school and college.
Old 01-13-2019, 03:49 PM
Charter Member

I don't think The Great Gig in the Sky is filler as it totally completes the side 1 suite to such a degree that it almost belongs there. After all it sort of does because it takes place after the inevitable death in the previous song. Any Colour You Like on the other hand I'd agree with the others that it's excellent yet extraneous filler.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrogance Ex Machina View Post
It also made my players random function totally useless. I really hated those stupid silences.
The CD that did that for me is the purposely bad skiffly track at the end of Second Coming by the Stone Roses, where there are a bunch of blank tracks which, if imported into a randomizer, cause weird pauses in the music just long enough for me to wonder if the shuffler has stopped working.
Old 01-13-2019, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jophiel View Post
Another precinct heard from.

For me, their only good song.

Heard it on the radio. Didn't see it on the CD. Searched the Internet over, for my Eurotrash Girl. Oh, track 99. (And the kid who bought the CD didn't even know it was on there. A win for Dad.)
Old 01-13-2019, 06:46 PM
Shouting Grasshopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreacherousCretin View Post
Well, it's a matter of opinion and personal taste, but I agree with everything you say. I like musique concrète, but I've always found Revolution #9 to be ugly and uninteresting. Unlistenable dreck.
Quote:
Heh. Yep, as they say, there's no accounting for (my) tastes. All I can say is that I prefer Revolution 9 over Electronic Sound.

Last edited by blondebear; 01-13-2019 at 06:47 PM.
Old 01-13-2019, 06:53 PM
Isaiah 1:15/Screw the NRA
Charter Member

If you bought the Special Edition of Neil Young's Weld live album, you got a third disc titled Arc. 30 minutes of distortion and feedback. Filler indeed.
Old 01-13-2019, 07:30 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychonaut View Post
Yeah, could be that some pressings altered the track layout. All the copies I've come across, purchased in North America within a few years of the album's original release, had the interlude in the pregap of track 6. When and where did you get your copy?
Point taken. I got mine from Amazon, less than a year ago.
Old 01-13-2019, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Top of the list has to be "Revolution 9" from the "White Album". What a waste of vinyl.
I knew when I saw the thread title that this would come up! As I've said before, I'm impressed with it as a sound collage, and wouldn't judge and compare it against songs, or even music itself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by digs View Post
Vegetables!

Or should I say "Veg-eh-tay-bles"?

Here's the whole backstory, even addresses the question "Was the celery being crunched by Paul McCartney?"
As with the other material subsequently reworked from the aborted Smile album, the original version was better.
Old 01-13-2019, 08:45 PM

In the pantheon of great album filler is the Reverend Horton Heat's version of "The Entertainer" (from their album "Liquor In The Front").
Old 01-13-2019, 10:58 PM
Horrified Onlooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalej42 View Post
You’d be wrong, I think. I bet I’m not the only student that used it as study music in high school and college.
(See my post #12) I'm sure you're not the only one. For me, it's delightful enough simply as music to sit down and listen to carefully. I think of it as a sort of mini solo album by the de facto fifth Beatle.
Old 01-13-2019, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrogance Ex Machina View Post
You realize that’s why he did it, right? The idea was to force you to listen to it the way he wanted you to listen to it.

Anyway, in spite of the fact that The Doors are my favorite band ever and I think every one of their albums are great even I admit that some songs are much less great than others, and almost all of them can be found on The Soft Parade. Robby Krueger wrote really good pop, but that’s not what people were looking for. “Wishful Sinful” and “Runnin’ Blue”, despite being released as singles, are among the very last songs if you ranked everything The Doors ever did.
Old Today, 08:11 AM
Charter Member

An example of good bonus tracks on a CD release would be the Wishbone Ash "Argus" album. The bonus tracks are from a (unreleased?) "Live In Memphis" EP, including a 17 minute version of "Phoenix".
Old Today, 12:41 PM

They Might Be Giants Apollo 18 includes 21 tracks, from 5 to 20 seconds long, called "Fingertips", little musical vignettes designed to showcase the new "shuffle" function becoming common on CD players.
Old Today, 02:46 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Have you heard "Sing this all together" from "Their Satanic Majesties Request" lately? When Revolution #9 came up during walks and I forced myself to listen to it, I got what he was doing, and the arc of the song. Sing this all together has no redeeming qualities whatsoever.
Now, I've never listened to it stoned, but I can't think it improves things.