Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 02-07-2019, 12:23 AM
Roderick Femm's Avatar
Roderick Femm Roderick Femm is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: On the cusp, also in SF
Posts: 6,809
Anathema upon thee, Virgin Mobile USA

I've had them for several years, and have been reasonably satisfied. However: in September I changed my automatic billing to a new credit card. At the end of September, they charged me twice, on the same credit card, three days apart. I didn't discover it until today.

Their answer was that they don't give refunds more than 3 month old. My reply was fairly choice, including the observation that they apparently feel that it's ok for them to steal money from their customers as long as the theft isn't discovered within 3 months, that this policy does not encourage me to continue to use their service, and that I will be speaking to my credit card provider if they don't give me back the money they stole.

So it looks like I may be in the market for a new cut-rate cell service provider, preferably one who will let me keep my phone number and use my very expensive phone that I paid for. Suggestions?
  #2  
Old 02-07-2019, 02:16 PM
Roderick Femm's Avatar
Roderick Femm Roderick Femm is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: On the cusp, also in SF
Posts: 6,809
Slight bump, a friend suggested Ting Mobile. Anyone ever used them?
  #3  
Old 02-07-2019, 02:31 PM
Helena330's Avatar
Helena330 Helena330 is offline
Mere Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Near Seattle, WA, USA
Posts: 3,576
I was just going to post about Ting! I think someone here recommended it, and I gave them a try. I love it. I don't talk much, but I do a ton of texting so it's nice to not have to pay for voice minutes I don't use. When I talked to customer service I got through right away. If you're a heavy user it probably won't work for you, but it's just right for me.
  #4  
Old 02-07-2019, 06:50 PM
Roderick Femm's Avatar
Roderick Femm Roderick Femm is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: On the cusp, also in SF
Posts: 6,809
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helena330 View Post
I was just going to post about Ting! I think someone here recommended it, and I gave them a try. I love it. I don't talk much, but I do a ton of texting so it's nice to not have to pay for voice minutes I don't use. When I talked to customer service I got through right away. If you're a heavy user it probably won't work for you, but it's just right for me.
Oh, I'm a very modest user. Maybe 5 or 6 calls in a busy week. Maybe twice that many texts. Unknown amount of data usage though, I mostly use it for maps.
  #5  
Old 02-08-2019, 01:15 AM
TSBG TSBG is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 2,541
I don't know about Ting, but I think your number should be portable. I've even been able to keep my NYC number though I live in LA and have changed providers at least twice since I moved. As for the phone itself, you'll have to ask Ting (or other provider).

Virgin should be able to provide you with your monthly data usage for reference.

5-6 phone calls a week? 10-12 texts? Your life sounds like paradise.
  #6  
Old 02-08-2019, 09:54 AM
Edward The Head Edward The Head is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Somewhere in time
Posts: 6,522
I had Virgin Mobile for the longest time, from 03/4 until late last year. I ended up dropping them when I couldn't find a store to replace my phone that was getting old. I ended up switching to AT&T, which took my bill from $35 to $40 a month. But now I can find stores in lots of places and get what I need.

I will say that Virgin made it a minor inconvenience to swap carriers. They did not have my account number on my account page, I had to call them to get the number.
  #7  
Old 02-08-2019, 10:19 AM
Spiderman's Avatar
Spiderman Spiderman is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: somewhere East of there
Posts: 10,067
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roderick Femm View Post
Their answer was that they don't give refunds more than 3 month old. My reply was fairly choice, including the observation that they apparently feel that it's ok for them to steal money from their customers as long as the theft isn't discovered within 3 months, that this policy does not encourage me to continue to use their service, and that I will be speaking to my credit card provider if they don't give me back the money they stole.
Transactions can only be disputed for 60 days from statement. (Reg E)

Last edited by Spiderman; 02-08-2019 at 10:19 AM.
  #8  
Old 02-08-2019, 11:19 AM
Chicken Fingers Chicken Fingers is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 1,106
We used Virgin Mobile for many years, and were lured to MetroPCS, (now calling itself Metro by Sprint) a couple of years ago by their cheap family plan and free smart phones. So far, so good.
  #9  
Old 02-08-2019, 12:35 PM
Roderick Femm's Avatar
Roderick Femm Roderick Femm is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: On the cusp, also in SF
Posts: 6,809
Quote:
Originally Posted by TSBG View Post
I don't know about Ting, but I think your number should be portable. I've even been able to keep my NYC number though I live in LA and have changed providers at least twice since I moved. As for the phone itself, you'll have to ask Ting (or other provider).

Virgin should be able to provide you with your monthly data usage for reference.

5-6 phone calls a week? 10-12 texts? Your life sounds like paradise.
Or very boring, more likely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiderman View Post
Transactions can only be disputed for 60 days from statement. (Reg E)
I would dispute that this is a transaction in the meaning of that regulation. For what it's worth.

After my tart response to their first message, they kindly revealed to me that the extra payment was still there in my credit balance, and the only reason it hadn't been used is that it no longer represents a complete payment (I had added one additional service for another $5). So I have topped up that $5 and the extra payment will be used for my next payment. We are more or less even, except for the extra tax that was also extracted, which they cannot do anything about, or so they say.

If the first respondent had been helpful instead of dismissive, none of this sturm und drang would have been necessary. So I am not quitting them immediately, but they are on probation.
  #10  
Old 02-08-2019, 04:04 PM
Wesley Clark Wesley Clark is offline
2018 Midterm Prediction Winner
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 21,183
I have them and I'm considering switching. Probably to boost mobile.

The phones are better and I get unlimited data for $50 at boost. I pay about 39 for 5 gig on Virgin.
__________________
Sometimes I doubt your commitment to sparkle motion
  #11  
Old 02-08-2019, 04:38 PM
Hilarity N. Suze Hilarity N. Suze is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Denver
Posts: 7,783
When you call Virgin Mobile for your account number, be sure to tell them it's "for your records" and not "because I'm outta here" because if you say the latter they will send you to the escalations/retention department and your transaction will take three times as long.

Been there...
  #12  
Old 02-08-2019, 11:32 PM
Roderick Femm's Avatar
Roderick Femm Roderick Femm is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: On the cusp, also in SF
Posts: 6,809
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilarity N. Suze View Post
When you call Virgin Mobile for your account number, be sure to tell them it's "for your records" and not "because I'm outta here" because if you say the latter they will send you to the escalations/retention department and your transaction will take three times as long.

Been there...
Thanks for the advice.

I've never switched providers with the same phone before. What exactly happens if/when I sign up with Ting, for example? Do I have to tell Virgin, or does the new provider do that? Do I have to stop the automatic payment from my bank?
  #13  
Old 02-09-2019, 03:12 PM
TSBG TSBG is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 2,541
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roderick Femm View Post
Thanks for the advice.

I've never switched providers with the same phone before. What exactly happens if/when I sign up with Ting, for example? Do I have to tell Virgin, or does the new provider do that? Do I have to stop the automatic payment from my bank?
The new provider should handle the switchover, but ask them to be sure you don't have to do anything yourself. I think the last time I switched Verizon canceled my AT&T account with nothing further required from me. You'll have to stop the automatic payments yourself. You may have to pay a remaining balance by check, credit card, or one-off transfer, or I suppose you might wind up with a small refund, which they will send you months later in an envelope that looks like junk mail, hoping you will throw it away.

By the way, getting to retentions might not be a bad thing. Usually they'll offer you a deal to keep you.

You find this a lot with cable service. I distinctly recall the one occasion on which I called to threaten cancellation and they DIDN'T offer a sweetener. Made me almost as mad the lousy service they provided.

ETA, every time I've switched providers I also got a new phone; may be different with you keeping the phone.

Last edited by TSBG; 02-09-2019 at 03:13 PM.
  #14  
Old 02-09-2019, 04:35 PM
The Vorlon The Vorlon is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Sol III
Posts: 2,061
Quote:
Originally Posted by TSBG View Post
ETA, every time I've switched providers I also got a new phone; may be different with you keeping the phone.
In the bad old days, the phones were tied to a specific carrier, modern phones are agnostic, just requiring a sim card transplant.
  #15  
Old 02-09-2019, 05:37 PM
TSBG TSBG is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 2,541
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Vorlon View Post
In the bad old days, the phones were tied to a specific carrier, modern phones are agnostic, just requiring a sim card transplant.
Sure, but it is slightly possible he has an older phone with no SIM card. And didn't earlier iPhones have a non-removable card? It's going back some, so that generation of phones is probably utterly dead, but I remember buying a burner in the UK because I couldn't swap out the card in my iPhone.
  #16  
Old 02-09-2019, 06:52 PM
RealityChuck's Avatar
RealityChuck RealityChuck is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Schenectady, NY, USA
Posts: 42,033
I had Virgin for a long time, but switched when Walmart Family Mobile offered a better rate..
__________________
"If a person saying he was something was all there was to it, this country'd be full of rich men and good-looking women. Too bad it isn't that easy.... In short, when someone else says you're a writer, that's when you're a writer... not before."
Purveyor of fine science fiction since 1982.
  #17  
Old 02-12-2019, 02:29 AM
Hilarity N. Suze Hilarity N. Suze is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Denver
Posts: 7,783
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roderick Femm View Post
Thanks for the advice.

I've never switched providers with the same phone before. What exactly happens if/when I sign up with Ting, for example? Do I have to tell Virgin, or does the new provider do that? Do I have to stop the automatic payment from my bank?
I had no problem when I left Virgin. My son had something, and I don't want to call out the wrong provider, when he was in high school--I am not sure. His new provider (ATT) said be sure to check your account to make sure they don't continue taking out the $$ (he had a pay-as-you go but automatic deduction) and the old provider did try to take out the $$ for a couple of months.

You should be able to get the same number.

It is also true, as someone above said, that if you do get to retention they will probably offer you a deal or refund the extra they took out. But if you're dead set on leaving them, going that route will take longer.
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:52 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright 2018 STM Reader, LLC.

 
Copyright © 2017