Old 02-09-2019, 10:35 PM

My cat died and I don't understand what happened

He had started to eat less, not make a run for the treats and was losing weight so I made an appointment at the Vet for us. The Vet said he had a dental abscess and needed two teeth pulled, so I brought him in again the next morning to have that done.

Surgery went fine. It took over a full day to recover from the anesthesia. He was eating a little and drinking a little and hiding under the bed, by the radiators or behind the couch. Occasionally he would venture out. He had always been like this so I wasn't worried. His post-op visit went fine. Vet said everything looked great.

His appetite still hadn't picked up and he wasn't coming out for treats. Then he stopped coming out for breakfast, so I slid it under the bed for him. By Wednesday, I didn't like how he was looking so I planned to take him in on Friday morning. I had an out of town funeral to go to on Thursday,

Thursday night, I came home and he was stretched out like he was sleeping in the corner only there was sort of a greenish discharge around his mouth and nose, and he was dead. He didn't look like he struggled or like it was violent. I had brushed him and clipped his nails the night before and while he looked a bit under the weather, which was why I was taking him back to the vet, he certainly didn't look deathly ill.

Any opinions on what possibly happened? It's weighing heavily on me.
Old 02-09-2019, 10:55 PM
Charter Member

I'm so sorry for your loss.

As for what happened, I'm certainly no expert, but here are two WAGs, for what they're worth. #1: The surgery didn't manage to remove all of the infection. (Did the vet give your cat a dose of antibiotic, and/or give you some to give him?) #2: Your cat had been unlucky enough to have two things wrong with him, and when the vet found and fixed the abscess, he naturally thought that had cured what was causing the original symptoms.
Old 02-09-2019, 11:03 PM

How old was the cat? So sorry for your loss.
Old 02-09-2019, 11:08 PM

I believe I saw the vet inject him with antibiotics after I told him that my cat won't take pills.

He was only 14. I take good care of my animals. They tend to live a very long time.
Old 02-09-2019, 11:32 PM
Charter Member

Cats are pretty good at hiding how badly they feel. He may have been more ill than you thought. My condolences.

StG
Old 02-09-2019, 11:36 PM

14 is a good run for a cat....about 72 in human years. It sounds like you took good care of him, but sometimes older cats die, despite your best efforts. There can be any number of reasons why your cat died--besides the dental issues, he could have had some other underlying illness-cancer, kidney failure, etc or perhaps even died of heart attack. It might make sense to ask the vet. I am sorry for your loss.
Old 02-09-2019, 11:45 PM

I'm very sorry for your loss. I have no idea what happened, though. But I agree with others that animals (and people) sometimes just drop dead.
Old 02-10-2019, 12:06 AM

Yeah, I bet there was more infection than the teeth. Probably up in the sinuses. So sorry for your loss. And, do phone the vet for a little talk.

Last edited by Beckdawrek; 02-10-2019 at 12:07 AM.
Old 02-10-2019, 12:10 AM
born to be shunned

Nothing to add other than my condolences as well.
Old 02-10-2019, 01:39 AM

I'm so very sorry. My heart is just breaking for you. I hope you get some answers.
Old 02-10-2019, 01:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhiannon8404 View Post
I'm so very sorry. My heart is just breaking for you.
Aye. Rest easy, LurkerCat. You too,LurkerInNJ.

Last edited by Snowboarder Bo; 02-10-2019 at 01:46 AM.
Old 02-10-2019, 06:54 AM

Don't know why he died, but condolences from the Gap clan.
Old 02-10-2019, 08:26 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beckdawrek View Post
Yeah, I bet there was more infection than the teeth. Probably up in the sinuses. So sorry for your loss. And, do phone the vet for a little talk.
My vote as well, with that greenish discharge.

Condolences on the loss of your four-foot family member.
Old 02-10-2019, 08:39 AM

Thanks, I just thought that if there was a further infection there would have been some visible discharge before he died. I brushed him twice and clipped his nails once in the week before he died and there was nothing, but his little face was covered when I found him.
Old 02-10-2019, 09:17 AM

Our neighbor had a very similar experience with her cat. She took the cat's body in for a postmortem exam/autopsy and they discovered cancer in the cat's sinus/pharynx.

Sorry for your loss.
Old 02-10-2019, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayaker View Post
Our neighbor had a very similar experience with her cat. She took the cat's body in for a postmortem exam/autopsy and they discovered cancer in the cat's sinus/pharynx.

Sorry for your loss.
Same for me, except they told me my cat had a URI. A week later I came home to find her barely conscious with blood gushing out of her nose. The tumor had broken through the sinus cavity. Poor baby.
Old 02-10-2019, 10:23 AM
Charter Member

I'm really sorry. I know how losing a feline companion feels -- Wednesday I lost my favorite. He was diabetic and I gave him insulin shots every 12 hours for the last 3.5 years and never missed a single dose. A few days before he seemed not to feel as good as usual and started drinking and peeing a lot, which suggests high blood sugar, and I made an appointment for Tuesday morning, but when I came home Monday evening he was semi comatose and I rushed him to the animal emergency hospital where they found his blood sugar extremely low and borderline survivable. Turns out he had kidney failure, which had probably made him nauseous, and that in turn drove his blood sugar down even as I continued giving insulin. So, one known medical problem being treated, and one unknown, which actually interfered with the known problem.

It really hurts. Medicine is a complicated subject, and your cat can only give indirect signs about what is wrong, which evolution has pretty much discouraged them from doing anyway. Bless your heart for trying to take care of him, and I'm really sorry he's gone. But they do need us. If you can get yourself feeling ready for it again, I hope you keep adopting and caring for them.
Old 02-10-2019, 11:32 AM
Charter Jays Fan

I'm very sorry for your loss.

I think there is a pretty high likelihood that your cat was suffering from co-morbidies. As has been pointed out, but bears emphasizing, cats (and dogs) are extremely adept at hiding pain and discomfort; if it gets to the point that you notice your pet is sick or injured, they're REALLY sick or injured.

Unfortunately, cats can get sick and die with remarkable speed; I have had cats go from seeming fine to being terribly ill to dying in days, and I am a very responsible pet owner indeed. If your cat was suffering from some other malady, perhaps one the dental problem exacerbated, it is perfectly normal for you never to have noticed and for the vet to have missed it if s/he wasn't looking for it. In all likelhood there was nothing that couold have been done.

Sorry. It really sucks.
Old 02-10-2019, 11:52 AM

So sorry about your cat. Condolences. I had a big fluffy white cat that had no symptoms of anything at all being wrong until I came home from work to find him dead. He was curled up in one of his favorite sleeping places, a folded blanket on a chair. The only unusual thing was that his claws were dug into the blanket. I was never sure how old he was but certainly less than ten. He was a lazy, happy, friendly fellow and I was very sad.
Old 02-10-2019, 12:09 PM

I know this isn't much comfort but cats behave so similar that I suspect most of their behavior is hardwired. So I don't feel as bad when I lose one since the amount of information making that particular cat unique was small. I would get another kitty.
Old 02-10-2019, 01:03 PM

My condolences for your loss, Lurker.
Old 02-10-2019, 01:06 PM

My condolences, Lurker.
Old 02-10-2019, 01:17 PM
Robot Mod in Beta Testing

Dental abscesses can be very bad things, even in humans. The infection can easily spread to the heart, as well as elsewhere, like into the bones. Someone close to me ended up getting a nasty heart infection from bad teeth. He spent months in the hospital, and had heart issues for the remainder of his life. Ultimately, he ended up dying because of his heart issues several years later. He was only about 30 years old.

Dogs, cats, and other pets don't complain the way humans do, and often don't look anywhere near as sick as they actually are. And with a dental abscess, a lot of the infection would probably be in the internal organs where you wouldn't be able to see it anyway. Veterinary medicine is definitely not my field of expertise, but I suspect that pumping your cat full of antibiotics was probably about the best that the vet could do.

Under the circumstances, I think you did the best that you could do. You just had a very sick kitty.

I'm very sorry for your loss.
Old 02-10-2019, 01:20 PM
Robot Mod in Beta Testing

Moderator Note

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamuelA View Post
I know this isn't much comfort but cats behave so similar that I suspect most of their behavior is hardwired. So I don't feel as bad when I lose one since the amount of information making that particular cat unique was small. I would get another kitty.
This is insensitive enough that many would consider it to be jerkish behavior. Please do not post things like this in any thread about the loss of a pet of any kind, especially when the OP clearly indicates that they have some level of emotional stress over the incident.
Old 02-10-2019, 03:19 PM
Mere Member

I'm so sorry, Lurker and Napier.
Old 02-10-2019, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Napier View Post
If you can get yourself feeling ready for it again, I hope you keep adopting and caring for them.
I'm sorry to hear about your cat too.

I have his mother and brother. I got the three of them as group.
Old 02-10-2019, 11:42 PM

So sorry for your losses, LurkerInNJ and Napier. We've all been through this, and it never gets easier. I'm still mourning the loss of my beloved kitty whom I lost last year. I miss him every single day.
Old 02-11-2019, 03:34 AM

I am so sorry for your loss. As I posted last week, I lost my Natasha last week. She was also diabetic and not eating and I was holding her insulin until I could get her to the vet but it turned out that her sugar was very high. Unfortunately I had to make the decision to let her go. I just wanted to say I know how hard dealing with a diabetic cat can be. I almost feel bad about how much simpler my life has gotten with only one cat. I no longer have to trap my cat in the bathroom twice a day to keep her from eating the other cat’s food, no longer have to carefully measure her food, scooping the litter box is so much easier without her going against the walls and often over them and not dealing with a cat who never covered anything. I really miss her.
Old 02-11-2019, 03:41 AM

I also wanted to add that my two cats could not have been more different. Even though they were littermates and almost never appart, they were completely different. She loved meeting new people and he hid until they were gone, she begged to be brushed and he hated it, she meowed when she wanted something and he comes up and hits you, she loved catnip and he ignores it and if given a new treat she would cautiously sniff and explore it while he grabs it and runs and hides so he can check it out in private.
Old 02-11-2019, 04:02 PM
Charter Member

Sorry about your kitty.

We had a cat behave the exact same way. Turned out it was a problem with his liver. He died almost in the same manner as yours.

William Stranix
Old 02-11-2019, 05:45 PM

Sorry for your loss of your cat. it's never easy.
Old 02-12-2019, 01:00 AM

Heartbreaking. My condolences.
Old 02-12-2019, 02:20 AM

I'm so sorry Lurker. The same thing happened to my Buffy when she was 14 -- I can't remember what it was exactly, but she had started having bladder infections from time to time for about two years before that.

Losing a pet always hurts.
Old 02-12-2019, 08:01 AM

My heart breaks for you. Especially not knowing exactly why he died. I'm so sorry.
Old 02-12-2019, 10:08 AM

Thanks everyone.
Old 02-12-2019, 03:57 PM

Fisher (dog) and GrayZ (cat) in bed with me:

https://i.postimg.cc/Qx7Z3b95/S5030989.jpg

My sister's goofy cat Bobby:

https://i.postimg.cc/d3kPDR5b/S5030284-2.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/0jTgS63b/S5030400.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/FF8X8qRN/S5030415.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/vZdFHVfK/S5031061-2.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/wjcKtjkj/S5031154.jpg