Old 02-10-2019, 09:55 PM

“Research says...”

Sure, right, all that fucking means you googled something and found a bunch of articles that said whatever it is you wanted to say, and you didn’t want to bother investigating any actual facts or research. You fuckbucket.
Old 02-10-2019, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulfreida View Post
I just experienced one in real life!

Orientate.
At work, anyone who uses architect as a verb.
Old 02-10-2019, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenWyvern View Post
Any article about art or literature that uses the word "subvert".
It seems like that's pretty much EVERYTHING new, until you realize it's anything but. Its like clickbait.

For me it's "groundbreaking" or "Change your life".
Old 02-10-2019, 11:30 PM

Well I've learned (the hard way) to immediately stop reading anything that has pop up banners informing me of hot grannies who want to fuck, NOW! No strings attached!.

Lies!! There are NO hot grannies, even hot grannies who would rather take it slow. 😠 You give the granny sex providers your credit card, and that hot granny changes before your very eyes into an explosive-looking headline saying "You knew Gary Coleman in the 80s as an African American actor. Well you will not believe what he is today!!"

Well let me fill you in on a little info: Gary Coleman isn't there when you click. Its a cartoon Fat Albert going "Hey hey hey! Montenegro is an agressive nation that threatens global peace bitches!"

So just know, grannies dont want to fuck. Anyone, especially not you. And none of them are hot. Walk away when they pop up on your screen and try to lure you in with their siren song. And also know that Russia is a very misunderstood, persecuted superpower.
Old 02-10-2019, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrickBat View Post
Really good reading so far...so many that I can identify with.

I groan and scoff when I see headlines with the same "newsspeak" lazy journalism cliches. Won't read them online, or on paper, as they seem like the printed version of clickbait.

Some terms: highlighted ( underlined)

"Lawmaker blasts mayor's decision..."

"Critics charge that new playground is pork barrel spending...."

"Public works project slated......"

"Commuter rail project chugs along....."
There's a problem with this. In a big news organization, the people who write the headlines are usually different from the people who write the articles.

Editors and sub-editors write the headlines for articles submitted by journalists, so the quality of the headline and the quality of the article are unconnected.
Old 02-10-2019, 11:50 PM

Anything that contains some cheap intentional-misspelling insult. Rethuglicans, Feminazis, Killary Clinton, Donald Drumpf (even if that was the name origin,) Herr Twitler, etc.

Also, conspiracy tinfoil key words like "Big Pharma", etc.
Old 02-10-2019, 11:56 PM

"See what these former hotties look like now!"
Old 02-11-2019, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenWyvern View Post
There's a problem with this. In a big news organization, the people who write the headlines are usually different from the people who write the articles.

Editors and sub-editors write the headlines for articles submitted by journalists, so the quality of the headline and the quality of the article are unconnected.
Sounds a shame. Like the content of news is deliberately dumbed down.

I guess it's that way on TV documentaries as well.
Old 02-11-2019, 05:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocity View Post
Anything that contains some cheap intentional-misspelling insult. Rethuglicans, Feminazis, Killary Clinton, Donald Drumpf (even if that was the name origin,) Herr Twitler, etc.

Also, conspiracy tinfoil key words like "Big Pharma", etc.
I've noticed this a ton lately. "Freeze Peach" is pretty common to mock people who support "Free Speech" and "Ray Cism" to mock people who see racism everywhere.
Old 02-11-2019, 05:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrickBat View Post
Sounds a shame. Like the content of news is deliberately dumbed down.

I guess it's that way on TV documentaries as well.
In print media, the final layout determines the exact character count available for a particular headline. Layout is done towards the end of the process of creating tomorrow's newspaper, while writing the actual article is near the beginning.

In other words, the writer has no way of knowing what character count they'd need to hit, when writing a headline. Additionally, their work for tomorrow's paper is done already ... what, now they gotta come back and work a 2nd shift just to provide headlines?
Old 02-11-2019, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambivalid View Post
So just know, grannies dont want to fuck.
Turns out Irene Ryan died in '73.
Old 02-11-2019, 10:23 AM
Charter Member

Any time I encounter a "fact" that I know is wrong. In this day and age, there is no excuse for it. Get your facts right. If you're too lazy to Google it, I'm too lazy to continue reading it.

A reviewer for The New Yorker magazine on Andrew Lloyd Webber's memoir Unmaked "If you want to read how the author wrote the scores for Cats and Chess." Yes, the New Yorker. Just image they emails they got on that one.

Last edited by Annie-Xmas; 02-11-2019 at 10:24 AM.
Old 02-11-2019, 01:02 PM

The last time it happened it was an article on "things you know about history which are completely wrong". I tend to approach such lists with a chunk of salt, since the assumptions they make about what I know or do not tend to be off, but in this particular case one of the first items was "the Reconquista didn't exist". You see: since nobody back c. 726 sat down at a table to organize the next almost-800 years of Iberian war and peace, and since those almost-800 years had their ups and downs and enough changes of sides and alliances to make anybody dizzy, they didn't exist.

By the same token, WWI existed even less. After all, nobody prepared its Work Breakdown Structure and nobody called it "world war one" while it was going on...

Last edited by Nava; 02-11-2019 at 01:03 PM.
Old 02-11-2019, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulfreida View Post
I just experienced one in real life!

Orientate.
I fear your perceptions are coloured by growing up on "the other side of the pond". Just because people speak different to you doesn't make them wrong, and my friend Dr Smythe agrees.

Crappy writing, poor grammar, or a breathless tone usually make me stop reading.
Old 02-11-2019, 01:44 PM

"disruption"
Old 02-11-2019, 01:54 PM

Virtually every article that starts, "New research shows...." I would not even have to read to the end of the article to discover that the "new research" is just a news release from the National Scientific Association for the Promotion of Groundhogs, or some other self-serving group. Having spent some time in research and academia, I can assure you that NO researcher every publishes or promotes research results that state, "Yeah, everything we discovered is exactly like we thought it was prior to the research." There's a bit of National Enquirer in all studies and related press releases.

Also, I stop reading any news articles that don't know the difference between "canon" and "cannon," "breaks" and "brakes," and so forth. Can't spell? Why should I think you can get facts straight?
Old 02-11-2019, 02:04 PM

Anyone who is trying to tell me something that "They" don't want me to know. They being the government, scientists, Pharmacuetical companies etc.

Anyone who uses Obama's middle name.
Old 02-11-2019, 03:02 PM

People of a certain region/age/ethnic group are SHOCKED by this clickbait...

The word "ultimate," as in "ultimate mattress sale." Your overuse of the word convinces me never to consider whatever it is you're selling.

Anything about Meghan Fucking Markle

Twitter Is Legit TRASHING Offset Right Now and He May Never Recover - No, it's not Twitter, it's Twitter users. No, "legit" means "legally correct." You just like "legit" because it rhymes with "to quit," like when you quit reading anything over 140 characters. No, whoever Offset is isn't going to suffer ruination because of barely legible twitter comments. Are you proud that you're actually reading words that don't require you cracking open a book? I tell you, Twitter is the devil's tool to dumb down America.
Old 02-11-2019, 03:08 PM

Anything with the word "cuck" in it.
Old 02-11-2019, 03:26 PM

Any controversial topic where they add -gate to the end of it.
Deflate-gate
Russian-gate
Election-gate

I only give a pass to the Flint water crisis, because a blogger called it water-gate and I smiled.
Old 02-12-2019, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowed Out View Post
snip..

snip...
Anything about the entire British Royal Family. I'm an American; why should I care?
Old 02-12-2019, 03:59 PM

Anything that claims that something "can't be explained".

And I never look at any YouTube video where the screenshot has a red circle or arrow drawn on it.
Old 02-12-2019, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defensive Indifference View Post

"Virtue signaling." I don't think I've ever encountered a person or written piece that used this phrase (unironically) that was worth further interaction. I accept that some people are hypocrites or poseurs, and they deserve criticism for that. But the phrase "virtue signaling" is just a shibboleth for douchebags.

Quoting The Art of War. This may just be peculiar to my field, information security. But when I start reading an article in a security publication, and the writer quotes the Art of War, I know it's a shit article. "As Sun Tzu said, 'Know your enemy'!" Well, as Winston Churchill said, "Good day, sir!"
Depends on the type of writing. I'm a lot less tolerant of cliches in professional writing than somebody's post on the internet, and among professional writers depending on the topic.

As suggested by Sun Tzu in an article on information security, or really anything else outside military where it's directly relevant. And even in military history writing some of the more common quotations are worn out by now. For example back when the 'know enemy know self' quote was used in the US Army's official history of the Korean War, about the early battles where the Army's lack of self-recognition of its unpreparedness, and lack of almost any knowledge of the North Koreans, led to disaster, that was appropriate. Decades later, find your own, fresher quotes.

But back to internet posts, SJW's, PC and virtue signalling are real things. People on the left don't want to hear them perhaps (a similar list and reaction could probably be assembled for abbreviations aimed at the right). Which is fine, but doesn't really contradict the first statement. And how much originality are you demanding in everything you read? If you simply refer to SJW's by some more polite term, when everyone knows the general type of person being referred to if you use that term, that's just more polite, not necessarily more original or factual. It might not actually be as clear to use a more polite term. Quoting Sun Tzu (or seriously using words like 'shibboleth' ) could also be interpreted as pretentious, which it isn't really to use cliche references like SJW.

Last edited by Corry El; 02-12-2019 at 04:28 PM.
Old 02-12-2019, 05:10 PM
Horrified Onlooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayT View Post
Any incorrect uses of apostrophes stop me in my tracks. If it's just once I might give them a chance that it was a typo (but then why didn't the editor catch it?) but not twice. There are a few other grammar issues I have (alot is one) but the apostrophes are the kiss of death.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CairoCarol View Post
...or a breathless tone usually make me stop reading.
Amen. So many people who don't realize how sparingly exclamation points should be used! To me it's a glaring indicator of bad writing!
Old 02-12-2019, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMS Irruncible View Post
Back during the Obama presidency, I felt like it was a pretty effective razor that anyone who said 'Obama' during our first conversation was probably a complete write-off.

I mean I get why some people didn't like Obama and that's fine and we can talk about it when it comes up, but if it's always on the tip of your tongue and you assume that everyone you meet would like to hear your thoughtson that, that's a symptom there is some derangement at work.

Likewise with Trump, I'm happy to bash the man all day, but our first meeting involves you sharing your feelings about him... there's an unhealthy obsession.
"Don't re-nig in 2012" led to an immediate blockage for me.
Old 02-12-2019, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreacherousCretin View Post
Amen. So many people who don't realize how sparingly exclamation points should be used! To me it's a glaring indicator of bad writing!
.....also people who use ellipses instead of periods......they really annoy me......
Old 02-12-2019, 09:29 PM

I'm enjoying everyone's responses, though I am a little surprised by the members of this board who object to shibboleth. It's a word I don't get to use very often, but when it fits, you just can't pass up the opportunity. We even have a poster here named Shibboleth, and they seem nice enough.

Anyway, I forgot one of the most obvious signs that everyone should stop reading or listening: "I'm not a racist, but..." Yeah, I think I'll save us both some time and just start ignoring you now.

Last edited by Defensive Indifference; 02-12-2019 at 09:31 PM.
Old 02-12-2019, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maserschmidt View Post
“Research says...”

Sure, right, all that fucking means you googled something and found a bunch of articles that said whatever it is you wanted to say, and you didn’t want to bother investigating any actual facts or research. You fuckbucket.
"Studies show....."

When I was in college, I overheard a classmate say, "Who DOES all these studies?"
Old 02-12-2019, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowed Out View Post
Which reminds me: "preggers" or "baby bump" in the context of a pregnant public figure.
Old 02-13-2019, 06:06 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markn+ View Post
And I never look at any YouTube video where the screenshot has a red circle or arrow drawn on it.
Or the word "Truth" is in the title.
Old 02-13-2019, 09:17 AM
Charter Member

Anything that says "up to" followed by a percentage. "Up to 75% of people taking this medication received the desired results!" Yeah, right.

Any thing that confuses correlation with causation." Hey, homosexuality has gone way up since abortion was made legal. Abortion causes people to be gay."
Old 02-13-2019, 09:19 AM

This, in non-serious discourse -- so, not in the spirit of most of the thread; but, "I resemble that remark". In my opinion, the most feeble and pointless bit of wordplay in the entire history of the English language.
Old 02-13-2019, 09:31 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by enipla View Post
I'm reading a dystopian series of 4 books. It seemed that the author was a big Trump supporter, so I almost through it out the window. I gave it a little more time, and I think he is sort of middle of the road. I'll give the books a chance.
Going to work threw them, are you?
Old 02-13-2019, 11:04 AM

Anything Kardashian related
Old 02-13-2019, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defensive Indifference View Post
Anyway, I forgot one of the most obvious signs that everyone should stop reading or listening: "I'm not a racist, but..." Yeah, I think I'll save us both some time and just start ignoring you now.
There are some things a person just does not say. That is one of them. I would never make that claim, because I know I have issues, but I do my best to show people a fair perspective. It is like “I am so much smarter than you.” No, you do not say that, because it literally means “I am a fucking idiot.” You show people your positive traits, because declarations are meaningless/contrary.
Old 02-13-2019, 12:23 PM

Headlines that are actually questions.

I get that some headlines are actually questions, like:

Will People Populate Mars In This Century?

Do Four Out of Five Dentists Actually Agree?

Is That Really the Presidents Hair?

But I'll pass on every phoney, inconclusive article that adds a question mark at the end.

Signs Of Life Found On Mars?

Bigfoot Spotted At Kids Playground?

Donald Trump Killed In Car Crash?

You know there are garbage articles hiding in the shadows of those kinds of headlines.

Other articles I skip, are ones that start with, or contain the words, "Breaks Their Silence!"

I keep scrolling and don't look back.
Old 02-13-2019, 02:39 PM

"Utilize" instead of "use"

"Myself" instead of "me"

"[Person] and I" when they are the object instead of the subject

I am not sure what "Shibboleth" means, but I think he is the lead singer for Dimmu Borgir.
Old 02-13-2019, 03:01 PM

Some years ago I began reading a book about the Boer War and events leading up to it. I couldn't get thru the first chapter - the author (and by inference, his editor) kept misusing "retrospective" in place of "retroactive". This was done three or four times, until I threw the book down. (It was a library book so I didn't actually throw it down, just put it down rather firmly.)

I found it really hard to believe that any author (or editor) would make such an obvious mistake.
Old 02-13-2019, 03:15 PM

Any reference to "polls". Every single one of them is rigged... whether that be in favor of a position I support, or against.
Old 02-13-2019, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie-Xmas View Post
Any thing that confuses correlation with causation." Hey, homosexuality has gone way up since abortion was made legal. Abortion causes people to be gay."
You scoff, but studies show that almost no aborted babies have grown up to be straight.
Old 02-13-2019, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malleus, Incus, Stapes! View Post
You scoff, but studies show that almost no aborted babies have grown up to be straight.
100% of people born with legs die. Therefore...
Old 02-14-2019, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuntman Mike View Post
Any reference to "polls". Every single one of them is rigged... whether that be in favor of a position I support, or against.
Uh what? Rigged or not, the polls usually predict the election outcome fairly accurately.
Old 02-14-2019, 01:33 AM

Starting by misstating some other position, either as a deliberate straw man or because the author didn't bother to do any research.

Eg I watched a video on an alternative hypothesis to dark matter, which I was looking forward to hearing about. But it began by saying dark matter is just a fudge and cosmologists subscribe to it out of groupthink.
So I can already guess his alternative is not going to be very rigorous/objective before he's even started talking about it.
Old 02-14-2019, 08:51 AM

"Speaking as a Juggalo* ..."

* Or any similar type of person.
Old 02-14-2019, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie-Xmas View Post
Anything that says "up to" followed by a percentage. "Up to 75% of people taking this medication received the desired results!" Yeah, right.

Especially when the phrase “or more” is added:

“Up to 75% or more!”

Luckily, ads are short.
Old 02-14-2019, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sangahyando View Post
This, in non-serious discourse -- so, not in the spirit of most of the thread; but, "I resemble that remark". In my opinion, the most feeble and pointless bit of wordplay in the entire history of the English language.
Yeah, gotta admit that never was funny to me either. Wasn’t it a Groucho Marx line? That might explain it. “An accepted wit has but to say ‘Pass the mustard’ and they burst their ribs with laughter”
Old 02-14-2019, 09:36 PM
Charter Member

OPs that start with, "So..."
Old 02-14-2019, 09:47 PM

Also, OPs that post "title says it all."
Old 02-15-2019, 05:52 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludovic View Post
Yeah, I don't think I've seen it used except as a description of how the writer thinks people on the coasts think, not what the people on the coasts or the writer actually think.
Agreed. Same thing with 'political correctness'.
Old 02-15-2019, 09:33 AM
Voodoo Adult (Slight Return)
Charter Member

"by Dan Brown"