Old 10-14-2019, 06:11 PM

Scott Frost's Nebraska rebuilding may take a little longer than at Central Florida.

No, we're not complaining yet and are willing to be patient. But it's not easy, especially after getting so much hype in the offseason. We joined the Big Ten excited about Ohio State/Michigan/Penn State rivalries. Now we're not even at Minnesota's level after a 34-7 loss.

It's been over 20 years waiting for the pendulum to swing back. It will, right?
Old 10-20-2019, 02:27 AM
Charter Member

There’s nothing that can even be said for the disaster that Taggert is at FSU. Fire him tomorrow. A drunken frat guy that played pee wee football could do a better job. Icing your own kicker?????
Old 10-20-2019, 08:30 AM

On Wisconsin -- aaaaaaarrrrgh!!! How do you lose to Illinois?! I had the Badgers as legit national title contenders too.

And yeah, FSU is rolling backwards.

Great job by Oregon coming back from a two-TD deficit against a tough rival in a hostile environment to keep their playoff hopes alive.
Old 10-20-2019, 12:05 PM

Hey, my Duckies look pretty good this year!
Old 10-20-2019, 06:00 PM

I've been much more impressed by the Duck defense this year. It's also nice not to have a coach who looked like he was going to fly into a rage all the time.
Old 10-20-2019, 06:19 PM

I’m seeing the Ducks taking the Pac-12 this year with that defense.
Old 10-20-2019, 06:53 PM

I'm an S-E-C! S-E-C! S-E-C! fanboy, but I lived out in Oregon for a few years and really got into PAC-12, and of course, the Ducks. I really like what the Ducks have in terms of their defense, and I think the Auburn game proved that they can hang with pretty much anyone. I hope they win out and get to the playoff.
Old 10-26-2019, 11:21 PM

Damn, dead thread it seems .

I guess there aren't many schools with grads able type that have much to talk about these days. But Go Blue!!!. They finally pulled out a decisive victory against a top ten team.
gonna leave it there.
Old 10-27-2019, 12:25 AM
Charter Member

I had no idea how much Syracuse sucked this year. Nice to see a win for FSU. My only fear is that FSU won’t be bad enough to justify getting rid of Taggert this year and we’re doomed to more mediocrity.
Old 10-27-2019, 08:48 PM

Yeah I don't remember the college football thread being quite this dead last year. I've admittedly not had as much time to bump it.

Anyway, the run down:

* Shocker of the week: OU goes down to K State.

* Michigan dominates Notre Dame

* LSU wins over Auburn

* Bama cruises

* Texas and Nebraska still rebuilding

* UCLA looked really, really good for 3 quarters, really bad for one, but that was good enough.

* Ohio State murdered Wisconsin

* How about Minnesota?! Gopher football is for real.
Old 10-27-2019, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalej42 View Post
I had no idea how much Syracuse sucked this year. Nice to see a win for FSU. My only fear is that FSU won’t be bad enough to justify getting rid of Taggert this year and we’re doomed to more mediocrity.
Who do you go out and get if you're FSU?
Old 10-27-2019, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asahi View Post
* How about Minnesota?! Gopher football is for real.
Maybe. Maybe not. They are undefeated in games that an above average, but not necessarily great, team should win.

They haven't really had any serious tests yet. They haven't played anybody ranked. Their non-conference schedule was all Group of Five conference teams. Their Big Ten schedule to date has all been against the middle to bottom of the conference. Illinois, at 4-4 overall and 2-3 conference, is arguably their signature win. That's based mostly on Illinois' upset of Wisconsin. It's the same Illinois team that also lost against MAC cellar dweller Eastern Michigan, though. If it's not them then it's Nebraska with the same overall and conference record. None of their other conference opponents even have winning records.

We'll find out if Minnesota is for real in their remaining four games, IMO. They've got three ranked teams - Penn State, Iowa, and Wisconsin. There's only one easy game left for the Gophers; that's 1-6 Northwestern. They'd better enjoy their bye next Saturday. Their schedule gets real the next week.

Last edited by DinoR; 10-27-2019 at 09:38 PM.
Old 10-28-2019, 06:46 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Who do you go out and get if you're FSU?
Stoops from Kentucky would, I think, be an improvement.

The real story though, is that we're broke. We blew through a ton on money trying to keep Jimbo by building facilities. We can't afford the buyout AND a good new coach. My understanding is that part of the attractiveness of hiring Mike Martin's kid to take over the program (despite having no head coaching experience) was that he came relatively cheap.

Figure on Taggert staying until:
  1. The financial situation improves.
  2. His buyout gets down low enough that we can take the hit.
  3. He does something dumb enough to negate/reduce to manageable levels the buyout.

2 is the most likely with 3 being a real long shot. 1 would most likely involve some big booster or group of boosters and I think that well is currently semi-dry.
Old 10-28-2019, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thing Fish View Post
Hey, my Duckies look pretty good this year!
Evidently the voters are smoking the same substance you are, because this week they jumped from #11 to #7 on the "strength" of just barely squeaking out a win over the hapless Cougs in the last few seconds. A top ten team should be able to pull its starters in the first half against Wazzu.

Last edited by TonySinclair; 10-28-2019 at 03:46 PM.
Old 11-03-2019, 05:08 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zakalwe View Post
Figure on Taggert staying until:
  1. The financial situation improves.
  2. His buyout gets down low enough that we can take the hit.
  3. He does something dumb enough to negate/reduce to manageable levels the buyout.

2 is the most likely with 3 being a real long shot. 1 would most likely involve some big booster or group of boosters and I think that well is currently semi-dry.
What you can really figure is that I apparently don't know what I'm talking about:

Florida State has fired Willie Taggart effective immediately

The article implies that the Booster's signature investment in College Town was taking a huge hit from the team's general suckitude and that it was pay the money now or lose even more waiting it out.

There are also quiet rumors that FSU may have some "moral issues" in their pocket to negotiate a lower buyout. Seems too good to be true, but you never know...
Old 11-03-2019, 07:21 PM

UCLA won their 3rd straight under the Chipper; USC got murdered on live TV in the Coliseum. Expect there to be recruiting consequences - and coaching consequences as well.

Georgia came up with a big win against Florida, which I wasn't expecting. I thought Florida would take it.

Scott Frost is probably regretting that he left UCF.
Old 11-08-2019, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfman View Post
Damn, dead thread it seems .
Is it me, or is this year not that interesting?

The playoff race has been pretty predicable. Even preseason was always 4 of these teams:
Alabama
Clemson
Ohio State
Oklahoma
Georgia
I guess LSU has been a surprise, but gigantic SEC school doesn't feel Cinderella-ish.

Heisman drama has been lacking. It will be the winning QB of LSU vs Bama. I don't realistically see Trevor Lawrence, Justin Fields or Chase "family friend" Young passing them.

It's probably me, since Nebraska didn't quite live up to the preseason hype as a playoff darkhorse. I admit I expected this second year under Scott Frost not be another 4-8 season. Maybe they can compete with USC-Florida State-Tennessee for a 1990s "Toilet Bowl Throwback Playoff"
Old 11-09-2019, 08:17 PM

I was just looking at a story about the Tigers/Tide game, covering some of the pre-game activities . There was a sign that showed a picture of, I think, the LSU coach along with what looked like gibberish: "po pieponator boopoo nong footbrawl bit bong" (along with "And Epstein didn’t kill himself"). Is that something like Cajun?
Old 11-09-2019, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschereal View Post
I was just looking at a story about the Tigers/Tide game, covering some of the pre-game activities . There was a sign that showed a picture of, I think, the LSU coach along with what looked like gibberish: "po pieponator boopoo nong footbrawl bit bong" (along with "And Epstein didn’t kill himself"). Is that something like Cajun?
Ed Orgeron is from Lafourche Parish, Louisiana. If you wanna know what a backwoods, swamp thing Louisiana accent is like, go to Lafourche or Terrebonne Parishes.
Old 11-09-2019, 08:23 PM

We got to see some amazing SEC defense out there this afternoon.
Old 11-09-2019, 08:23 PM
Charter Member

Probably just illiterate Tide gibberish.
Old 11-09-2019, 08:28 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chingon View Post
We got to see some amazing SEC defense out there this afternoon.
It's 2019. It's all about offence. Two Heisman candidates head to head. Try to keep up.

Last edited by divemaster; 11-09-2019 at 08:29 PM.
Old 11-09-2019, 08:32 PM

As much as I'd like to savor this victory, I've already seen LSU's weakness: their defense. I'm not convinced that Dave Aranda is the defensive genius everyone seems to think he is. How the fuck they were playing man to man receiver coverage against one of the best passing attacks in the nation with a 2 score lead and just under 2 minutes to play...I will never understand. That 85 yard bomb is not on the players; it's so totally on the coaches, and I question Aranda.

Not the first time we've been scammed by a supposedly good Big-10 coordinator who turned out to be overrated when he was coaching against real players.
Old 11-09-2019, 08:33 PM

LOL
Old 11-09-2019, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by divemaster View Post
It's 2019. It's all about offence. Two Heisman candidates head to head. Try to keep up.
It's all about the talent.

In the end, it'll be interesting to see of LSU, Bama, or Georgia has the talent to compete with Clemson. I'm an S-E-C chanting fanboy, but I'm also a realist: Clemson (not necessarily the ACC as a whole, but Clemson) has the goods. They've got the coach. They've got the most athletic players. Sure, they only play a handful of meaningful games during the year, but that doesn't matter: they demonstrated last year that when they actually face the best in the country, they can keep up.
Old 11-10-2019, 02:58 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
What you can really figure is that I apparently don't know what I'm talking about:

Florida State has fired Willie Taggart effective immediately

The article implies that the Booster's signature investment in College Town was taking a huge hit from the team's general suckitude and that it was pay the money now or lose even more waiting it out.

There are also quiet rumors that FSU may have some "moral issues" in their pocket to negotiate a lower buyout. Seems too good to be true, but you never know...
And I really hope the Deion Sanders rumors are just rumors. Adding him as a coach? Fine. But not as the head coach.
Old 11-13-2019, 09:09 PM

This post may turn out to be a dud, but I have a very weird feeling that LSU vs Ole Miss might be a lot more interesting than people expect. LSU is coming off an emotional win, and it's visiting an old rival that has a history of playing the Tigers tough. Ole Miss' record's not that great but they've gone down swinging. If the Tigers take the Rebs seriously, then I suspect they'll win as expected, but if the Tigers come out flat, this could get interesting. Ole Miss is kinda like the Iowa St of the SEC. You can't ever overlook them.

Last edited by asahi; 11-13-2019 at 09:10 PM.
Old 11-13-2019, 09:41 PM
Charter Member

None of it matters anyway. The ESPN Gods have spoken and the CFP will be Alabama plus whichever of LSU/Georgia survives the SEC championship (oh and Ohio State and maybe Clemson if they ask real nicely and continue the longest current winning streak in the country).

Seriously, LSU wins over Alabama and Alabama gets the bye into the CFP. Un-fucking-believable. I hope Auburn kicks the ever-loving shit out of the Tide.

Here's the rule, you want to play? WIN YOUR FUCKING CONFERENCE. Or at least play in the damn championship game.

Last edited by Zakalwe; 11-13-2019 at 09:42 PM.
Old 11-14-2019, 03:41 PM

Quote:
None of it matters anyway. The ESPN Gods have spoken and the CFP will be Alabama plus whichever of LSU/Georgia survives the SEC championship (oh and Ohio State and maybe Clemson if they ask real nicely and continue the longest current winning streak in the country).

Seriously, LSU wins over Alabama and Alabama gets the bye into the CFP. Un-fucking-believable. I hope Auburn kicks the ever-loving shit out of the Tide.

Here's the rule, you want to play? WIN YOUR FUCKING CONFERENCE. Or at least play in the damn championship game.
Except...suppose ("looks like somebody's got a bad case of the supposed'tas") LSU was in the SEC East. Would Alabama be any more or less deserving of a spot in the final four just because its loss to LSU happened to be in the conference championship game while Georgia's would have been in the regular season?

Actually, based on past history, the answer is, "the later you lose, the more it affects things" - case in point: in 2007, back when Missouri was in the Big 12, it beat Kansas the week before it lost by 21 to Oklahoma in the Big 12 championship game, only to watch while the Orange Bowl took Kansas ahead of it - and thanks to the "sorry, only two teams per conference" rule the BCS had, Missouri ended up in the Cotton Bowl, which, at the time, was not a "big money bowl."
Old 11-14-2019, 06:08 PM

I could be wrong, but I suspect that if LSU goes into the SEC title game undefeated, Alabama's probably out, depending on how LSU plays, and of course how other teams from other conferences play up to that point.

But let's say we've got Ohio State, Clemson and then Georgia narrowly defeats LSU in an epic game, I think Alabama's out. I think the CFP would lose credibility if they selected a Bama team that got beaten by an LSU team that also beat 4 top ten teams.

Now if LSU beats Georgia, then UGA loses its conference and becomes a 2-loss team, which means that a lot of people would argue that Bama's the 2nd rated team in the SEC, which isn't an unreasonable conclusion (assuming Alabama remains a 1-loss team and finishes the season strong).

The question then becomes is Alabama more deserving of Oregon, or are they more deserving of the Big 12 winner, or even another strong Big10 team like Penn State. My guess is, yes, they would get the benefit of the doubt based on history.

I think that whether the rest of the country likes it or not, there's a very good chance of having 2 teams from the SEC this year.

However, I've watched LSU choke before. They could still get suckered this weekend. Some writers have predicted that A&M will be a tough game, but psychologically, I think the Tigers will be pumped up at a chance for revenge from last year.
Old 11-14-2019, 10:34 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I think that whether the rest of the country likes it or not, there's a very good chance of having 2 teams from the SEC this year.
Under acceptable circumstances, I don't have a problem with 2 teams from one conference playing in the CFP. What I object to is a team with one less game played getting in based on losing a conference game. Seriously, LSU's reward for winning a tough game is to play one more game than the LOSER of that game. Alabama gets an extra week of practice, an extra week to heal up, an extra week NOT risking their starters on the field.

How about this? To get their spot, Alabama has to play (and beat) the highest ranked team outside the top 4 that's not already playing in a conference championship? Call it the Wild Card Bowl.

The only teams in consideration should be the 10 (+10, +1 until the current contract is up, then ND needs to join a conference or give up their shot) teams that play in a conference championship game.

This is not about 'Bama, it's about a system that appears to reward losing (as long as you do it in the SEC or BIG16 - both of which have ESPN contracts).
Old 11-15-2019, 04:04 PM

I feel ya Zakalwe.

I do believe that despite their current #5 ranking, Alabama is still on the outside looking in. I certainly feel that's the case of LSU loses to Georgia in a tight game and Ohio St and Clemson win out. And it's possible that Oregon could leapfrog Alabama if they can finish out their 2019 campaign in dominant fashion. Remember that Oregon had Auburn on the ropes in week 1, and they've looked like a better team since then.

I think the way that Alabama sneaks back in is if LSU crushes Georgia and Oregon or OU is less than impressive down the stretch.
Old 11-15-2019, 09:12 PM

I can't quite go out and say Ole Miss will beat LSU, but I think they're going to make the Tigers sweat. I don't know why but this game scares me. Coming off an emotional high, I could see the Tigers taking the week off. If they were playing Idaho or North Texas, yeah, take the week off. But Ole Miss can actually beat teams, even good ones.
Old 11-16-2019, 09:27 PM

A racehorse in one of Dick Francis' mysteries was named Forlorn Hope.

In that spirit, I give you the the University of Kentucky place-kicker, Chance Poore.
Old 11-16-2019, 09:36 PM

Quote:
And it's possible that Oregon could leapfrog Alabama if they can finish out their 2019 campaign in dominant fashion. Remember that Oregon had Auburn on the ropes in week 1, and they've looked like a better team since then.
They barely escaped with a last-second FG to beat last-place WSU a couple of weeks ago. I have no idea how the voters figure they should be in the top ten, let alone contending for the top 4.

I lived in Eugene for a couple of years, and I post out of love. I don't want to see them embarrassed on the national stage.

Last edited by TonySinclair; 11-16-2019 at 09:37 PM.
Old 11-16-2019, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonySinclair View Post
They barely escaped with a last-second FG to beat last-place WSU a couple of weeks ago. I have no idea how the voters figure they should be in the top ten, let alone contending for the top 4.

I lived in Eugene for a couple of years, and I post out of love. I don't want to see them embarrassed on the national stage.
I think we will know once they face Utah in the PAC-12 title game. The Utes are for real; if the Ducks can beat 'em - and I think they can - then I think they're legit.
Old 11-16-2019, 09:47 PM

Quote:

p.s. I also lived in Eugene for a few years. It took some getting used to, but I kinda got into it. Remember the hot dog stand across from Rennies? Taylor's? McMenamins? Jackalope?
Old 11-16-2019, 09:50 PM

Fucking Dave Aranda!!!! Another Big 10 scam artist coordinator who can't fucking do shit once he coaches in the SEC! Fuck that piece of shit. Orgeron ought to fire his ass now!!!
Old 11-16-2019, 09:54 PM

Quote:
p.s. I also lived in Eugene for a few years. It took some getting used to, but I kinda got into it. Remember the hot dog stand across from Rennies? Taylor's? McMenamins? Jackalope?
I'm guessing you're much younger than I am. I was in my 40's when I lived there, in the mid-90's, and I don't know any of the places you named, probably because I didn't go out much. I moved to the Oregon coast in the late 90's and visited Eugene frequently for the next 20 years or so, but mostly for the VA clinic. I did go to a few games when Mariota was playing, because, duh.
Old 11-16-2019, 09:54 PM

Dave aranda is a big 10 scam artist!!! He robbed us blind!!! Fuck that!!!!
Old 11-16-2019, 10:08 PM

Scam artist Aranda will give up the TD. Guaranteed!
Old 11-17-2019, 12:20 PM

there is speculation that Tua may never play again despite what the Dr says now. Injury is similar to what ended Bo Jackson's career.
Old 11-17-2019, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bijou Drains View Post
there is speculation that Tua may never play again despite what the Dr says now. Injury is similar to what ended Bo Jackson's career.
I was thinking the same thing yesterday after it was announced that he had a hip injury. Hip injuries are devastating, particularly to someone who aspires to play sports at the professional or semiprofessional level.

I watched Marcus Lattimore's gruesome injury that ruined what would have been a career and a sure first-round draft selection. The same is probably true for Tua. I don't think Saban was necessarily nuts for leaving him in the first half. If this had happened in the 4th quarter with his team up 45-7, that would be different, but he wanted his players to be sharp for the better part of a game - I get it. It's just unfortunate how it occurred.
Old 11-17-2019, 01:41 PM

Didn't Bo have a complication of blocked blood flow causing the damage much more than the original injury?
Old 11-17-2019, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfman View Post
Didn't Bo have a complication of blocked blood flow causing the damage much more than the original injury?
I just read a blurb on this, it said that is why it's so critical that they set the thing asap at the stadium, to prevent problems due to lack of blood flow.
Old 11-17-2019, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bijou Drains View Post
there is speculation that Tua may never play again despite what the Dr says now.
No problem, Bama still has Jalen Hurts. Oh wait...

Speaking of Hurts, I just ran across the fact that he graduated from HS in 2016, and he graduated from Bama in 2018.

Even at Bama (heh), how in the world did he complete a four-year degree in a little over two years, with all the time commitments of being on the biggest team in college football?

Quote:
Injury is similar to what ended Bo Jackson's career.
I still think Bo was the most exciting player I've ever seen. What a shame his career was cut short.

Last edited by TonySinclair; 11-17-2019 at 11:44 PM.
Old 11-18-2019, 12:30 AM

Quote:
No problem, Bama still has Jalen Hurts. Oh wait...

Speaking of Hurts, I just ran across the fact that he graduated from HS in 2016, and he graduated from Bama in 2018.

Even at Bama (heh), how in the world did he complete a four-year degree in a little over two years, with all the time commitments of being on the biggest team in college football?

I still think Bo was the most exciting player I've ever seen. What a shame his career was cut short.
Freak of nature. Guys that size aren't supposed to be able to run a sub-4.2 forty yard dash.
Old 11-18-2019, 12:33 AM

Quote:

It's gotten to the point where I think 'bama getting to the playoff with one loss is almost guaranteed. I, too, am tired of seeing them involved and I also hope that Auburn beats them. Maybe with Tua out that becomes more of a possibility.
Old 11-18-2019, 12:58 AM

Quote:

I agree 100%. I've lived in Pac-8/-10/-12 country almost my entire life but I don't think any team from the Pac-12 deserves to be mentioned as being in contention for the playoff. For those of you pushing for Oregon's inclusion, you DO realize that the Auburn team that they lost to is, at best, a "tier two" SEC team, right? Personally, I hope Utah gets to the Pac-12 title game (I don't think their participation in that game has been settled just yet thanks to that loss to USC and USC continuing to win conference games this season despite it being obvious to any neutral observer that USC's football team, from a national perspective, simply isn't all that good this year) and beats the Ducks because I think that Oregon playing against one of the top teams from the Big Fourteen or from the S.E.C. will be an epic beat-down. Those of you who are in favor of competitive games in the CFP should also be pulling against a Pac-12 team's inclusion as hard as you can.
Old 11-18-2019, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by racepug View Post
I agree 100%. I've lived in Pac-8/-10/-12 country almost my entire life but I don't think any team from the Pac-12 deserves to be mentioned as being in contention for the playoff. For those of you pushing for Oregon's inclusion, you DO realize that the Auburn team that they lost to is, at best, a "tier two" SEC team, right? Personally, I hope Utah gets to the Pac-12 title game (I don't think their participation in that game has been settled just yet thanks to that loss to USC and USC continuing to win conference games this season despite it being obvious to any neutral observer that USC's football team, from a national perspective, simply isn't all that good this year) and beats the Ducks because I think that Oregon playing against one of the top teams from the Big Fourteen or from the S.E.C. will be an epic beat-down. Those of you who are in favor of competitive games in the CFP should also be pulling against a Pac-12 team's inclusion as hard as you can.
Oregon was dominating Auburn and, in a week one game, somehow blew it. But it was week one. They've been impressive enough to be in the conversation. Teams get better during the season, particularly as young players mature from week to week.

That being said, right now, I'd say that Utah is actually more impressive than Oregon, but if the Ducks can beat the Utes in the PAC12 title game, then I'd say they're definitely in the conversation. But the PAC 12 winner is probably going to need some help. They can either hope that A&M stuns LSU and then LSU drops the SEC title game, or that Ohio St chokes. Clemson's not choking, so forget it. They're in. And don't let the weak schedule fool you: the Clemson Tigers are still very, very dangerous.