Old 08-12-2014, 10:22 AM

Idiot (R) notes Robin Williams' passing on Twitter

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2014/08/1...itter-outrage/

When one of your (R) colleagues takes to Twitter to tell you to Shut. The. Fuck. Up. you've probably misused Social Media to accidentally reveal what an asshole you really are.
Old 08-12-2014, 10:36 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sterling Archer View Post
You're kidding, right? "Van Gogh" is pronounced like "Van Go", I've never heard it pronounced any other way.
I once heard a cultivated-sounding dude on NPR pronounce it "Van Okh."
Old 08-12-2014, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sterling Archer View Post
You're kidding, right? "Van Gogh" is pronounced like "Van Go", I've never heard it pronounced any other way.
The BBC ( who occasionally make an effort to get these things right) say;

"Native English speakers can be heard saying van GOFF (-v as in vet, -a as in pan, -g as in get, -f as in fit) or van GOH (-oh as in no).

In fact, most Dutch people pronounce his surname along the lines of vun KHOKH (-v as in vet, -u as in bun, -kh as in Scottish loch) or fun KHOKH (-f as in fit, -u as in bun, -kh as in Scottish loch)

At the Pronunciation Unit, we don't expect non-native Dutch speakers to pronounce his name with a perfect Dutch accent. Instead, we recommend the established Anglicisation van GOKH (-v as in vet, -g as in get, -kh as in Scottish loch) which is codified in numerous British English pronunciation dictionaries.

from here

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/legacy/ma...van_gogh.shtml

That said, different countries have different standards for the pronunciation of foreign names so van Goh maybe entirely acceptable in the US.

Last edited by Precambrianmollusc; 08-12-2014 at 10:39 AM. Reason: words, missing or badly used, the usual.
Old 08-12-2014, 10:37 AM

Well, in Dutchlandic it's very close to the Scots "loch." A bit softer, but about the same sound. I'm on my mobile and c&p is a pain, but the Beeb has a page somewhere with their preferred Anglicisation: hard v, hard g, ch like loch.

Eta: Bah. This fucking mobile, I swear.

Last edited by andros; 08-12-2014 at 10:40 AM.
Old 08-12-2014, 12:00 PM
Charter Member

James "ACORN Killer" O'Keefe tries his latest tactic: Sneaking across the US-Mexico border in a Bin Laden mask. With cameras rolling, so maybe "sneaking" isn't le mot juste.
Old 08-12-2014, 12:33 PM
Not a real doctor.
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truman Burbank View Post

When one of your (R) colleagues takes to Twitter to tell you to Shut. The. Fuck. Up. you've probably misused Social Media to accidentally reveal what an asshole you really are.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hris fields (@ChrisFieldsMN)
.@AndrewLeeTCNT Interesting if I lived in a world or country where I didn't feel free to speak my mind I might get depressed and then what?
Wow - talks about doubling down on the stupid.
Old 08-12-2014, 01:40 PM

Colorado state Republican: Fracking is good, because it's natural for water to burn.

Obama is going to murder 25,000,000 Americans to make room in their houses for illegal aliens.
Old 08-12-2014, 01:58 PM

From the link:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sher Zieve
Besides, the ObamaGov and NWO will have to get rid of many more millions of us so that they can give our homes and possessions to the “new transformer illegals”…aka Obama voters and supporters.
You know, I hadn't thought of that strategy, but I have to admit I like it. Let the lefty immigrants in, while Obama quietly does away with right-wingers at an equal pace.

Thanks for the tip, Sher!
Old 08-12-2014, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Kitchen View Post
Sounds like he's already drinking it.

I didn't think they let people have internet access from the insane asylum.

I mean Sweet Jesus, what the fuck is wrong with these people???????
Old 08-12-2014, 03:04 PM
Charter Member

Rush (remember him?) says Robin Williams killed himself because of leftist politics.
Quote:
“What is the left’s world view in general?” Limbaugh asked his audience the day after Williams’ death was announced. “If you had to attach, not a philosophy, but an attitude to a leftist world view. It’s one of pessimism, and darkness, sadness. They’re never happy, are they?”
Old 08-12-2014, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElvisL1ves View Post
Rush (remember him?)
no, who?
Old 08-12-2014, 03:11 PM
Charter Member

Consider yourself lucky. Not long ago, he was gracefully denying that he was the Republican Party's leader, despite every one of their major pols who disagreed with him having to publicly apologize.
Old 08-12-2014, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Typo Negative View Post
Sounds like he's already drinking it.

I didn't think they let people have internet access from the insane asylum.

I mean Sweet Jesus, what the fuck is wrong with these people???????
PLEASE VOTE IN THE MID TERMS - Early and often
Old 08-12-2014, 03:25 PM

Quote:
James "ACORN Killer" O'Keefe tries his latest tactic: Sneaking across the US-Mexico border in a Bin Laden mask. With cameras rolling, so maybe "sneaking" isn't le mot juste.
So, the point he was making is that it's possible to sneak across the border? Film at 11:00.

I guess if we had a purportedly impenetrable defense whose sole mission was Spotting Bin Laden Sneaking Across the Border, then there would be hell to pay. Heads would roll.
Old 08-12-2014, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschereal View Post
no, who?
Rush Limbaugh, man! Legendary radio host? ... Aw, never mind.
Old 08-12-2014, 05:10 PM

Quote:
I think it's probably safe to assume that our vast national security apparatus is not on high alert looking for Osama bin Laden anymore.
Old 08-12-2014, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robot Arm View Post
I think it's probably safe to assume that our vast national security apparatus is not on high alert looking for Osama bin Laden anymore.
Maybe not, but surely anyone who looks or sounds like him must be evil, evil, EVIL! right?
Old 08-12-2014, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Which nicely bookends the same during Dubya's presidency...
Old 08-12-2014, 05:29 PM

/win
Old 08-12-2014, 06:52 PM

Why would they think a well-funded terrorist is going to cross the goddamned border through the river or the desert on foot?

Last edited by Typo Negative; 08-12-2014 at 06:52 PM.
Old 08-12-2014, 07:13 PM

They're not real good at that thinking stuff, IMO.
Old 08-12-2014, 07:21 PM

Hell, they could mess up a city like St. Louis just by packing some evil into a shipping container. Those things are a security breach waiting to happen.
Old 08-12-2014, 08:25 PM
Charter Member

Anybody seen this video of La Palin "responding" to Elizabeth Warren's speech saying that the minimum wage needs to be raised?

I'd actually hoped that the video was some kind of hoax. That someone had spliced together a bunch of words uttered by Palin and added it as an audio track to some video of her, because, DAMN, no one ought to be that badly embarrassed by themselves in public, not even her.

But apparently, it's for real. And there are people who think she's a bloody genius for her comments.

It's a bit disheartening.
Old 08-13-2014, 03:13 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgyn View Post
Anybody seen this video of La Palin "responding" to Elizabeth Warren's speech saying that the minimum wage needs to be raised?

I'd actually hoped that the video was some kind of hoax. That someone had spliced together a bunch of words uttered by Palin and added it as an audio track to some video of her, because, DAMN, no one ought to be that badly embarrassed by themselves in public, not even her.

But apparently, it's for real. And there are people who think she's a bloody genius for her comments.

I was thinking it's about time she checked herself into the Betty Ford Center.
Old 08-13-2014, 03:58 AM

Quote:

How dare you insult this woman, this shining paradigm of Republican intellect !

Recall that when the senescent John McCain, no longer capable of remembering the difference between Shi'ites and Sunnis, ran for the White House, he chose her as V.P. because of her sterling foreign policy credentials.
Old 08-13-2014, 06:01 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by septimus View Post
How dare you insult this woman, this shining paradigm of Republican intellect !

Recall that when the senescent John McCain, no longer capable of remembering the difference between Shi'ites and Sunnis, ran for the White House, he chose her as V.P. because of her sterling foreign policy credentials.
Here's a link to the whole piece. In context, it's pretty obvious that the first clip is part of a "sarcastic" response. She wasn't drunk, she thought she was using humor to make a point. The rest of the piece is pretty much standard Tea Party rambling. It's coherent, if not well-reasoned.

Much as I dislike her, I guess I'll have to give her a pass on this one. That was creative editing on someone's part, and not really what was going on.

Poop. It was more fun the other way.
Old 08-13-2014, 06:50 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Precambrianmollusc View Post
The BBC ( who occasionally make an effort to get these things right) say;
Quote:
Originally Posted by andros View Post
the Beeb has a page somewhere with their preferred Anglicisation: hard v, hard g, ch like loch.
Only on the Dope could a pitting of stupid Republican ideas involve a factual discussion of the pronunciation of Van Gogh. Really.

Quote:
Much as I dislike her, I guess I'll have to give her a pass on this one. That was creative editing on someone's part, and not really what was going on.
Dear Mr.(Ms.) Morgyn,

We regret to inform you that during our background check it was revealed that you have been known to (publicly no less!):
1. Change your mind based on developing factual evidence.
2. Apologize for being wrong.
Therefore your application for the consultant position is hereby denied. After all we can't have that kind of thinking infecting the Party, now can we? Stupid liberal.

Sincerely,
The GOP
Old 08-13-2014, 07:53 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zakalwe View Post
Dear Mr.(Ms.) Morgyn,

We regret to inform you that during our background check it was revealed that you have been known to (publicly no less!):
1. Change your mind based on developing factual evidence.
2. Apologize for being wrong.
Therefore your application for the consultant position is hereby denied. After all we can't have that kind of thinking infecting the Party, now can we? Stupid liberal.

Sincerely,
The GOP
It's MISS, you pea-brained, sap-sucking fool of a conservative!

And yeah, I change my mind when new evidence comes to light. So there.

<wanders off muttering under her breath about stoopid conservatives and their stoopid refusal to change a position once taken> rassafrassarassafrassa
Old 08-13-2014, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Here's a link to the whole piece. In context, it's pretty obvious that the first clip is part of a "sarcastic" response. She wasn't drunk, she thought she was using humor to make a point. The rest of the piece is pretty much standard Tea Party rambling. It's coherent, if not well-reasoned.

Poop. It was more fun the other way.
Kinda like the way Republicans gave ACORN a pass once it was discovered how the video of them was edited?
Old 08-13-2014, 09:51 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Kinda like the way Republicans gave ACORN a pass once it was discovered how the video of them was edited?
<shrug> I can't control what they do, only what I do.
Old 08-13-2014, 10:01 AM

Quote:
And there are people who think she's a bloody genius for her comments.
Those must be deep-cover liberals.

Even the GOP must know that Sarah Palin running in 2016 would help the Democrats.

If we could only get her to pay attention long enough to stick with a campaign, that is.
Old 08-13-2014, 10:01 AM

Quote:

I just think it goes to show how far the tentacles of the liberal media extend. Even her own web channel is asking "gotcha" questions that embarrass her.
Old 08-13-2014, 10:04 AM
Charter Member

Keith Ablow is getting blowback even from Fox anchorbarbies over saying Michelle Obama needs to "drop a few".

How about treating your own Dunlop's Disease yourself first, huh?
Old 08-13-2014, 10:23 AM
Charter Member

This guy is a psychiatrist?
Old 08-13-2014, 10:54 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
It's MISS, you pea-brained, sap-sucking fool of a conservative!
Ahhh...feminazi, lesbian, liberal type, eh? What you need is a good man to take care of you so you don't have to worry that pretty little head about hard stuff like politics...

Old 08-13-2014, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by a35362 View Post
This guy is a psychiatrist?
Yes, he specializes in the psychology of those whose brains have fossilized, people whose very limited intelligence and understanding a man of his limited intellect can deal with ... Fox News viewers, in short.
Old 08-13-2014, 11:56 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Algher View Post
If I thought they were being legit (which I do NOT):
1) Fight to keep the nepotism laws in effect
2) Reaction to Hillary's secret health care committee

In reality, it is partisan politics - but there is an argument that if the First Lady is going to be involved in running things, there should be some types of controls in place.
Back to the old idea of the GOP that government should control the lives of everyone.
Old 08-13-2014, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Captor View Post
...those whose brains have fossilized, people whose very limited intelligence and understanding a man of his limited intellect can deal with ... Fox News viewers, in short.
You know... morons.
Old 08-13-2014, 01:06 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Algher View Post
If I thought they were being legit (which I do NOT):
1) Fight to keep the nepotism laws in effect
2) Reaction to Hillary's secret health care committee

In reality, it is partisan politics - but there is an argument that if the First Lady is going to be involved in running things, there should be some types of controls in place.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DingoelGringo View Post
Back to the old idea of the GOP that government should control the lives of everyone.
I see you've been with us for more than a year, DingoelGringo, so please forgive me for taking so long to welcome you to the SDMB.

That said, if you're going to comment on EVERY post in the thread, you'd really better step up the pace.
Old 08-13-2014, 01:46 PM

Mississippi Republican Senate candidate Chris McDaniel is still challenging the results of the primary, which incumbent Thad Cochran won (which McDaniel refuses to accept). McDaniel's lawyer, Mitch Tyner, produced a list of primary voters whose votes they are challenging. Among the names on the list are Tyner and his wife.
Old 08-13-2014, 01:50 PM
BANNED

Mississippi Tea Party chairman's prayer for the GOP Establishment.

Quote:
We’re asking, Father, for two things. We’re asking, Father, that you would expose them, set division amongst them, set them one against another, bring confusion and fear into their camp, into their thinking, for the purpose of pulling them down, for casting them down out of their high offices and reducing them, Lord, to having no power in this state. So, Lord, that you might raise up and seek the righteous in the positions of power that this state might once more be a state that honors you in all that it does.
Old 08-13-2014, 02:35 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truman Burbank View Post

Zelda Williams:

Quote:
Zelda, who appeared with her father in the 2004 film "House of D," added, "To those he touched who are sending kind words, know that one of his favorite things in the world was to make you all laugh. As for those who are sending negativity, know that some small, giggling part of him is sending a flock of pigeons to your house to poop on your car. Right after you've had it washed. After all, he loved to laugh too."
Old 08-13-2014, 02:52 PM
BANNED

NRCC Launches Fake News Sites to Attack Democratic Candidates.

What makes this not only dishonest but stupid is that this is the same NRCC that got caught earlier this year putting up fake websites purporting to be those of Dem candidates (they had to take them down because of public reaction).
Old 08-13-2014, 03:17 PM
One of Cecil's six friends
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrainGlutton View Post
They haven't even got the courage to sign their work; check out the byline on one of the fake articles:
Quote:
Written by
Geoff
Old 08-13-2014, 03:25 PM

That Geoff always was a jerk.
Old 08-13-2014, 03:25 PM

A fake news site to attack democrats? I thought Roger Ailes already did that.
Old 08-13-2014, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Batty View Post
A fake news site to attack democrats? I thought Roger Ailes already did that.
Well played, sir.
Old 08-13-2014, 06:22 PM

Quote:
"This is a new and effective way to disseminate information to voters who are interested in learning the truth about these Democratic candidates," said Andrea Bozek, communications director for the NRCC.
A fake new site is a way to get the truth out? A fucking devious LIE is a way to get the truth out?

What the fuck is wrong with these people????
Old 08-13-2014, 06:29 PM

That there are far too many of them.
Old 08-13-2014, 07:03 PM

My money is on lack of oxygen in the womb.