Old 08-15-2018, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThelmaLou View Post
Newt Gingrich employs a similarly Orwellian redefinition of reality in his book "Trump's America":

Quote:
President Trump is redefining the very structure of American political and governmental dialogue by insisting on fact-based conversations...
https://books.google.com/books?id=8oRBDwAAQBAJ&pg=PT99&lpg=PT99&dq=%22redefining+the+very+structure+of+American+political+and +governmental+dialogue+by+insisting+on+fact-based+conversations%22&source=bl&ots=bbA-7M7kNI&sig=Z082z9xbLm19dSxAhU-hilPoaoM&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwj9rorFqPDcAhVOs1kKHXkmD-IQ6AEwAnoECAQQAQ#v=onepage&q=%22redefining%20the%20very%20structure%20of%20American%20political%20an d%20governmental%20dialogue%20by%20insisting%20on%20fact-based%20conversations%22&f=false

War is peace. Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength. Compulsive lying is 'insisting on fact-based conversations.'

Thread on my books (inexpensive gifts!) https://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb...d.php?t=866609
Old 08-15-2018, 08:26 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThelmaLou View Post
Is there any limit to Giuliani's stupidity? I think not.
He isn't stupid. I think his game is just to throw out confusion, including all the bald lies it takes, so that the Deplorables can continue to dismiss the investigation, and anything else legal involving Trump, as a partisan "witch hunt". He's not really acting as Trump's lawyer, but as a political advocate.
Old 08-15-2018, 09:51 PM
Charter Member

Everyone other than Fox needs to stop giving Guiliani, Conway, et al, airtime. Just take their friendly Fox interviews and document the lies. It's fucking useless interviewing them, because anyone with a working brain cell knows they are lying, and all that crew is doing is trying to find those without working brain cells. Stop helping them!
Old 08-16-2018, 10:14 AM
Charter Member

GOP-TV strikes again:

Quote:
Fox News host Ainsley Earhardt incorrectly said Thursday that the U.S. defeated "communist Japan" in World War II
Old 08-16-2018, 02:41 PM

He who controls the past controls the future. He who controls the present controls the past.” George Orwell, 1984.
Old 08-16-2018, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve MB View Post
GOP-TV strikes again:
Quote:
Fox News host Ainsley Earhardt incorrectly said Thursday that the U.S. defeated "communist Japan" in World War II
Forget it - she's rolling.
Old 08-16-2018, 02:54 PM

they've even got a flag

https://www.deviantart.com/annikovth...Flag-569027189
Old 08-16-2018, 03:28 PM
Charter Member

Eh, who can tell Those People[tm] apart?

Quote:
Fox News Channel on Thursday aired a photo of R&B singer Patti LaBelle in a tribute to the recently deceased Queen of Soul, Aretha Franklin.
Old 08-16-2018, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Oh, good grief. So stoopid.....
Old 08-16-2018, 04:16 PM
Arms of Steel, Leg of Jello
Charter Member

Quote:
Update to the idiocy. Which only continues.
Quote:
UPDATE: In a statement, Jessica Santostefano, vice president, media desk, Fox News, said: “We sincerely apologize to Aretha Franklin’s family and friends. Our intention was to honor the icon using a secondary image of her performing with Patti LaBelle in the full screen graphic, but the image of Ms. Franklin was obscured in that process, which we deeply regret.”

The image of LaBelle Fox News used was from a 2014 White House concert called “Women of Soul.” Franklin and LaBelle did both sing there but, at least in the PBS recording of the event, did not perform on stage at the same time. And, as Mediaite points out, the AP photo used in the graphic does not include Franklin at all.
Old 08-16-2018, 04:27 PM

Ainsley Earhardt - had to look her up. Blonde airhead Fox bigot.

Sorry to stereotype blonds but it's the Fox standard.
Old 08-16-2018, 04:36 PM

WronG thread.

Last edited by bobot; 08-16-2018 at 04:36 PM.
Old 08-16-2018, 04:41 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by running coach View Post
Quote:
UPDATE: In a statement, Jessica Santostefano, vice president, media desk, Fox News, said: “We sincerely apologize to Aretha Franklin’s family and friends. Our intention was to honor the icon using a secondary image of her performing with Patti LaBelle in the full screen graphic, but the image of Ms. Franklin was obscured in that process, which we deeply regret.

The image of LaBelle Fox News used was from a 2014 White House concert called “Women of Soul.” Franklin and LaBelle did both sing there but, at least in the PBS recording of the event, did not perform on stage at the same time. And, as Mediaite points out, the AP photo used in the graphic does not include Franklin at all.
USA Today says Aretha only performed solos that night.
Old 08-16-2018, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Update to the idiocy. Which only continues.
What is even more appalling was that the 2 ladies did not like one another. But Ms. LaBelle is classy and said her good-bye quite nicely:

http://www.vulture.com/2018/08/patti...heir-feud.html

"“I am deeply saddened about the passing of the Queen of Soul and my sister in song, Aretha Franklin. Today the world has experienced a tremendous loss. Aretha was a rare treasure whose unmatched musical genius helped craft the soundtrack to the lives of so many,” LaBelle wrote.""

Last edited by mistymage; 08-16-2018 at 05:37 PM. Reason: stupid shift key
Old 08-16-2018, 06:47 PM
Charter Member

They don't remember Queen of Soul.
I think they're crazy, their viewers growing old....
Old 08-16-2018, 07:29 PM

This is perfect:

Fox News Apologizes! https://twitter.com/TheOnion/status/1030225297461923840
Old 08-17-2018, 02:52 AM
Charter Member

Tucker Carlson shouts at a Univision reporter that tacos aren't Mexican food.

Quote:
“What do you mean, ‘their food?’ It’s American food! It’s American food!” Carlson said. “What do you think, you own tacos now, or something?” I feel like [I own them] they’re an American food and I’m going to keep eating them even though I agree with Jeff Sessions.”

Acevedo was stunned and said again that we should all celebrate each other’s cultures.

“What do you mean each other’s cultures? It’s an American food, it’s an American food—you’re not going to appropriate my culture,” Carlson said. “I’m from San Diego, man. Those are my tacos. Mine!”
As a native San Diegan, I will acknowledge that we have pretty awesome tacos, but you'd have to be dumber than a sack of hammers to think they were invented there.

Last edited by Smapti; 08-17-2018 at 02:56 AM.
Old 08-17-2018, 04:11 AM

That is THE FIRST time I've ever watched this Carlson guy. Really? He has a news job? I've only read about him, but great fuck. What the Univision broadcaster said hits home more: This is what a divided country looks like.
Old 08-17-2018, 04:21 AM

Jon Stewart was right about Carlson all those years ago: he's hurting America.
Old 08-17-2018, 04:22 AM

Like San Diego didn't use to be Mexico. Does he think Ward Cleaver invented tacos in 1955 or something?
Old 08-17-2018, 06:02 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smapti View Post
Tucker Carlson shouts at a Univision reporter that tacos aren't Mexican food.

As a native San Diegan, I will acknowledge that we have pretty awesome tacos, but you'd have to be dumber than a sack of hammers to think they were invented there.
He probably only knows the hard shell taco. Which was invented in the US.

Wiki.
Quote:
Non-traditional variations
Hard-shell tacos

Beginning from the early part of the twentieth century, various types of tacos have become popular in the United States and Canada.[14] An early appearance of a description of the taco in the United States in English was in a 1914 cookbook, California Mexican-Spanish Cookbook, by Bertha Haffner Ginger.[15] The most common type of taco in the US is the hard-shell, U-shaped version, first described in a cookbook, The good life: New Mexican food, authored by Fabiola Cabeza de Baca Gilbert and published in Santa Fe, New Mexico, in 1949.[16] These types are sold by restaurants and by fast food chains, while kits are readily available in most supermarkets. Even non-Mexican oriented fast food restaurants have sold tacos. Mass production of this type of taco was encouraged by the invention of devices to hold the tortillas in the U-shape as they were deep-fried. A patent for such a device was issued to New York restaurateur Juvencio Maldonado in 1950, based on his patent filing of 1947 (U.S. Patent No. 2,506,305).[17][18] Such tacos are crisp-fried corn tortillas filled with seasoned ground beef, cheese, lettuce, and sometimes tomato, onion, salsa, sour cream, and avocado or guacamole.[19]
Old 08-17-2018, 06:41 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
He probably only knows the hard shell taco. Which was invented in the US.
If he's from San Diego, he oughta know that a San Diego taco is made of chuck roast stewed with tomatoes, peppers, and onions, shredded, folded into a corn tortilla, fried until crispy, and garnished with shredded cheddar, lettuce, and hot sauce.

And he also oughta know that the only places you can get one of those are owned, operated, and staffed by Mexicans.

Last edited by Smapti; 08-17-2018 at 06:44 AM.
Old 08-17-2018, 09:50 AM

Most San Diegans (well, everyone in Southern Calif., really) under the age of 40 probably only knows (or wants) "Tijuana street style" tacos, and probably only gets tacos with fried shells at Jack-in-the-Box.

Even most people over 40 prefer the "street" taco style, unless they're from some totally isolated suburb.

But it doesn't really matter--Carlson is a complete douche. One of humanity's most embarrassing specimens.
Old 08-17-2018, 11:20 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

running coach @38621: That’s fascinating AND horrifying information. So those awful crispy taco shells were foisted on the innocent mid 20th century U.S. populace in order to sell machines that make awful crispy taco shells...?
Old 08-17-2018, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guizot View Post
Most San Diegans (well, everyone in Southern Calif., really) under the age of 40 probably only knows (or wants) "Tijuana street style" tacos, and probably only gets tacos with fried shells at Jack-in-the-Box.

Even most people over 40 prefer the "street" taco style, unless they're from some totally isolated suburb.

But it doesn't really matter--Carlson is a complete douche. One of humanity's most embarrassing specimens.
Seriously.

Every once in a while I jones for a Taco Bell taco, but I NEVER think of them as real tacos. They're just junk food.

When I want a taco it's an embarrassment of riches...with nary a hard shell in sight.
Old 08-17-2018, 02:10 PM
Charter Member

Kellyanne Conway has a baffling question for the White House press corps:

Quote:
"Why is everybody so obsessed with the president of the United States that they can't even begin or finish a sentence without mentioning his name five times," she told the media after facing questions outside the White House. "It's kind of weird."
Old 08-17-2018, 02:12 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Those aren't the questions.
Those are the voices in her head.
Old 08-17-2018, 02:49 PM

The Boston Globe gets a bomb threat after Trump criticizes them for their role in the coordinated editorializing against Trump.
http://thehill.com/homenews/media/40...ndemning-trump
Old 08-17-2018, 02:57 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
That's to get and hold his attention in case he's watching.
Old 08-17-2018, 03:24 PM

Erik Prince and his plans to privatize the Afghanistan war.
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/militar...ze-war-n901401
Does he think he can siphon more money out of the Department of Defense and the country they rampage through better than Dick Cheney did?
Old 08-17-2018, 03:50 PM

Quote:
"Why aren't you talking about what I want you to talk about? How can I make you ask questions which burnish Trump, instead of poking holes in literally everything he fucks up?"

"Why do you feel compelled to pry into criminality? Is it newsworthy to you? I'll tell you what's newsworthy: Me accusing you of doing something stupid which you never do."
Old 08-17-2018, 05:06 PM

Medical Marijuana Violates Muh Ruhlijuhns!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mormontopia
A new Drug Safe Utah lawsuit against the lieutenant governor argues the medical marijuana initiative should be kept off the November ballot in part because it violates constitutional protections of religious freedom.

[snip]

The lawsuit argues that the initiative — which generally allows people with certain illnesses to get a medical cannabis card from their physician — also includes language that "mandates that LDS (Church) members would have to open their homes and personal property to tenants who possess and consume mind-altering substances, which is a direct affront to their deeply held religious beliefs."
You mean... they might have to rent to people who drink coffee!!!lebbentyONEZZZ!!!

Nah, here's the text:
Quote:
The legal complaint was making reference to a section of the initiative that states: "No landlord may refuse to lease to and may not otherwise penalize a person for the person's status as a medical cannabis card holder, unless failing to do so would cause the landlord to lose a monetary or licensing-related benefit under federal law."
Oh no. They can't use their religion to end-run state law to fight Culture War battles. Oh the horrors.
Old 08-17-2018, 08:42 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by guizot View Post
I'm slightly under 40 and I'd rather have a 'Berto's-style fried shell taco, as I described above, than a street taco. The Jack in the Box taco is basically a dirt cheap imitation of the original San Diego crunchy taco.
Old 08-17-2018, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derleth View Post
Medical Marijuana Violates Muh Ruhlijuhns!You mean... they might have to rent to people who drink coffee!!!lebbentyONEZZZ!!!

Nah, here's the text:Oh no. They can't use their religion to end-run state law to fight Culture War battles. Oh the horrors.
Wouldn't this lawsuit mean they could discriminate against people in a multiracial relationship? Or have sex outside of marriage?
Old 08-18-2018, 06:22 PM

Kevin McCarthy threatened to haul Twitter before Congress to explain why they were blocking his ability to see Laura Ingraham's tweets. Turns out it was a function of the way he had set up his account.
https://www.rawstory.com/2018/08/gop...ount-settings/
Old 08-18-2018, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Kitchen View Post
Kevin McCarthy threatened to haul Twitter before Congress to explain why they were blocking his ability to see Laura Ingraham's tweets. Turns out it was a function of the way he had set up his account.
Another reason for Dems to retake the House. If Republicans have their way, this is our next Speaker.

Because he's the smart one between him and Jim Jordan.
Old 08-19-2018, 01:12 AM
Charter Member

Fox News sez; Robert Mueller something something something BENGHAZI.

Quote:
“When covert missions go wrong, the government calls in its own cleaner,” Pirro said. “And when things go terribly wrong for the Democrats, they don’t just call in a cleaner to get the job done, they call in someone who’s been in the clean-up business a long time, they call in the serial cleaner, former FBI director and current special prosecutor Bob Mueller.”

It’s all part of the efforts by the “Trump-hating deep state” to cover for Hillary Clinton’s performance in the 2016 election, she alleged.

“Your credentials as a serial government cleaner are really good,” Pirro said. “You testified, after four Americans are killed in Benghazi, to cover for Hillary Clinton’s incompetence. Bob, why would you say that the FBI couldn’t get into Benghazi?”
I don't even.
Old 08-19-2018, 01:19 AM

Pirro's a nutcase. She hasn't had a passing acquaintance with reality in years.
Old 08-19-2018, 04:58 AM
Charter Member

Serial cleaner? Are you shitting me?
Old 08-19-2018, 11:02 AM
Isaiah 1:15/Screw the NRA
Charter Member

His name is Bob Mueller, not Winston Wolf.
Old 08-19-2018, 11:25 AM

Quote:
This tweet is the modern Republican party in a nutshell. Get outraged by something that isn't happening, provide evidence that isn't real, demand action on the pretend issue and refuse t acknowledge that that whole thing was made up even when faced with incontrovertible evidence. (McCarthy's tweet is still up.)
Old 08-19-2018, 11:33 AM

Irony: when you use social media to complain that you're not able to speak freely on social media.
Old 08-19-2018, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiveyearlurker View Post
This tweet is the modern Republican party in a nutshell. Get outraged by something that isn't happening, provide evidence that isn't real, demand action on the pretend issue and refuse t acknowledge that that whole thing was made up even when faced with incontrovertible evidence. (McCarthy's tweet is still up.)
Reminds me of the French reaction to "Freedom Fries". A spokeswoman basically dismissed it as unimportant, offhandedly adding that French fries actually come from Belgium.
Old 08-19-2018, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayjay View Post
Pirro's a nutcase. She hasn't had a passing acquaintance with reality in years.
And she's slipping. She completely failed to work George Soros, Susan Rice, or CNN into that theory.
Old 08-20-2018, 10:45 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Twitter management ought to tweak the error message to be more informative (e.g. "This post has been blocked by @[username]'s adult-content filter settings.") and make sure the new version propagates to all tweets and retweets of posts with the old one.
Old 08-20-2018, 11:57 AM

I wonder if Rudy's "truth is not truth" will eventually rank up there with Kellyanne's "alternative facts".

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer...not-truth.html

"Truth is not truth" sounds a bit too philosophical for me. "Alternative facts" gives me the giggles almost every time, so I'll vote for that.
Old 08-20-2018, 12:06 PM

I saw the following in another thread, but any of the rejoinders I could think of seemed likely to earn me a warning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Other Waldo Pepper View Post
I don’t know whether I’m being cynical or naive, here, but: if the whole point of that second one is that the workers are supposed to call the shots when it comes to, say, 40% of the board, then aren’t a lot of 60-40 votes in store?

Just, like, tons of 60-40 votes: a long shadow of 60-40 votes o’er the land, as far as the eye can see; picture an ex-con with “60” tattooed on the knuckles of one fist, and “40” on the other, only ever bothering to throw punches with one hand...
˙pǝpuᴉɯ-ǝldɯᴉs ǝɥʇ ɹoɟ ǝldɯᴉs ǝɹɐ ǝɹns sƃuᴉɥʇ
Old 08-20-2018, 02:11 PM

QAnon nuts are threatening to sue media outlets for making them look like nuts.
https://www.rawstory.com/2018/08/rep...-now-want-sue/
Old 08-20-2018, 02:44 PM

Federal Elections Commission rules unanimously that Ted Cruz violated federal elections laws.
https://hillreporter.com/ted-cruz-ju...ction-law-1127
Old 08-20-2018, 02:49 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Federal Elections Commission rules unanimously that Ted Cruz violated federal elections laws.
https://hillreporter.com/ted-cruz-ju...ction-law-1127
2012!?
They work fast!!!
: old rolleyes:

Last edited by running coach; 08-20-2018 at 02:49 PM.