Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #41051  
Old 05-02-2019, 10:43 AM
El_Kabong's Avatar
El_Kabong is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Smack Dab in the Middle
Posts: 15,407
Quote:
Originally Posted by Budget Player Cadet View Post
Have you gone to the cops? That's mail fraud.
Naw, I binned them. It appears they just manage to avoid mail fraud anyway, as described via the link in Czarcasm's post (41050).

Last edited by El_Kabong; 05-02-2019 at 10:45 AM.
  #41052  
Old 05-02-2019, 10:49 AM
asahi's Avatar
asahi is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: On your computer screen
Posts: 9,608
It's brilliant, actually:

1) It raises cash for Republicans.

2) It makes it more likely that Democrats will participate in the real census.

Republicans may have no ethics, but they know how to play dictatorship politics.
  #41053  
Old 05-02-2019, 11:32 AM
JohnT's Avatar
JohnT is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 22,485
Stephen Moore has officially withdrawn from his Fed nomination.
  #41054  
Old 05-02-2019, 11:37 AM
Aspenglow's Avatar
Aspenglow is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Oregon
Posts: 3,748
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnT View Post
Stephen Moore has officially withdrawn from his Fed nomination.
Oh, thank fuck. That guy has scared the crap out of me for a couple of decades. I don't know why anyone listens to him. He's the perfect Trump pick: A total phony and a shyster, making his living by lying whichever way the wind blows. And a creepy misogynist to boot.
  #41055  
Old 05-02-2019, 11:39 AM
JohnT's Avatar
JohnT is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 22,485
Actually, I might be wrong about that. But in a good way.

Two hours ago, Moore was saying he's all in.

Then the WH announced "Naw, ain't going to do it."

So Moore... like Comey... may have found out he withdrew via a TV set.
  #41056  
Old 05-02-2019, 11:43 AM
Aspenglow's Avatar
Aspenglow is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Oregon
Posts: 3,748
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnT View Post
Actually, I might be wrong about that. But in a good way.

Two hours ago, Moore was saying he's all in.

Then the WH announced "Naw, ain't going to do it."

So Moore... like Comey... may have found out he withdrew via a TV set.
Couldn't happen to a nicer guy. Ugh, he makes my skin crawl! (But then, they all do.)

I see the crooked paw of the Grim Reaper in this. "No, Donny. He's too awful even for Republicans."
  #41057  
Old 05-02-2019, 12:19 PM
asahi's Avatar
asahi is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: On your computer screen
Posts: 9,608
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspenglow View Post
Oh, thank fuck. That guy has scared the crap out of me for a couple of decades. I don't know why anyone listens to him. He's the perfect Trump pick: A total phony and a shyster, making his living by lying whichever way the wind blows. And a creepy misogynist to boot.
It was probably the blatant misogyny and just enough Republicans in high places pretending to care about it that did him in.

The trade off in getting Republicans to shy away from hiring blatant misogynists and saying male chauvinistic things is draconian anti-abortion and basically anti-human laws. The more dignity that women demand in the workplace and in the classroom, the less they'll have in a doctor's office.
  #41058  
Old 05-02-2019, 07:56 PM
Sherrerd's Avatar
Sherrerd is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 6,664
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspenglow View Post
Oh, thank fuck. That guy has scared the crap out of me for a couple of decades. I don't know why anyone listens to him. He's the perfect Trump pick: A total phony and a shyster, making his living by lying whichever way the wind blows. And a creepy misogynist to boot.
Not to mention being almost completely devoid of actual knowledge of economics.

https://www.businessinsider.com/step...reserve-2019-3
  #41059  
Old 05-02-2019, 09:20 PM
Fear Itself is offline
One of Cecil's six friends
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Flavortown
Posts: 35,780
Chuck Grassley said he got ACORN's tax returns for "legislative purposes," but Dems want Trump's for "political purposes."

"It’s black and white."

Former ACORN exec Bertha Lewis agrees: “We were black and they were white."

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/donal...b02791823fbfc0
  #41060  
Old 05-03-2019, 12:08 AM
elucidator is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Further
Posts: 59,833
The Republicans murdered ACORN because it frightened them. Sucks, but also reassuring.
  #41061  
Old 05-03-2019, 05:24 AM
asahi's Avatar
asahi is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: On your computer screen
Posts: 9,608
Quote:
Originally Posted by elucidator View Post
The Republicans murdered ACORN because it frightened them.
Money post.

Yeah, that pretty much what it comes down to. Despite the "Har! Har! Nudge! Nudge! Get this, Obama's a 'community organizer," Republicans were shitting in their pants because they knew that Obama was pretty good at this social entrepreneurship stuff and had built ACORN into a successful grassroots organization that could empower people in places that had been effectively disenfranchised.
  #41062  
Old 05-03-2019, 06:39 AM
dropzone's Avatar
dropzone is online now
Member
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Cloud Cuckoo Land
Posts: 29,576
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fear Itself View Post
Chuck Grassley said he got ACORN's tax returns for "legislative purposes," but Dems want Trump's for "political purposes."

"It’s black and white."

Former ACORN exec Bertha Lewis agrees: “We were black and they were white."
Talk about leading with your chin, Chuck! A downside for the Pubs and their dearth of funny members is that they don't have people to bounce their statements off who can see the comebacks. Fun for us, though.

Last edited by dropzone; 05-03-2019 at 06:40 AM.
  #41063  
Old 05-03-2019, 08:28 AM
Monty's Avatar
Monty is offline
Straight Dope Science Advisory Board
 
Join Date: Feb 1999
Location: Beijing, China
Posts: 22,704
Quote:
Originally Posted by asahi View Post
Money post.

Yeah, that pretty much what it comes down to. Despite the "Har! Har! Nudge! Nudge! Get this, Obama's a 'community organizer," Republicans were shitting in their pants because they knew that Obama was pretty good at this social entrepreneurship stuff and had built ACORN into a successful grassroots organization that could empower people in places that had been effectively disenfranchised.

I've actually asked 'pubbies of my acquaintance and relationship (as in my relatives) this; however, I've yet to receive an answer other than doubling down on the ranting:

What the fuck is wrong with being a community organizer?
  #41064  
Old 05-03-2019, 08:38 AM
ThelmaLou's Avatar
ThelmaLou is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Neither here nor there
Posts: 15,733
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monty View Post
I've actually asked 'pubbies of my acquaintance and relationship (as in my relatives) this; however, I've yet to receive an answer other than doubling down on the ranting:

What the fuck is wrong with being a community organizer?
Ah, you know, those community organizers <spit!> are all communists and socialists.
__________________
"It’s not who starts the game, but who finishes it." John Havlicek
  #41065  
Old 05-03-2019, 09:02 AM
asahi's Avatar
asahi is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: On your computer screen
Posts: 9,608
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThelmaLou View Post
Ah, you know, those community organizers <spit!> are all communists and socialists.
I think the jab was meant to suggest that he's not a businessman and that all he does is lead marches - that he was unqualified to administer anything beyond a protest. And of course there are some racial undertones with that message (i.e. Obama is black, didn't really deserve to get into Harvard, probably couldn't run a lemonade stand, etc.).

In reality, he was the editor of the Harvard Review, and although I'm neither a Harvard Alum nor a lawyer, I've read over the years that Harvard takes its publications pretty damn seriously. They're not going to let a person of color fuck it up just because they feel sorry for him/her - that's a post reserved for the intellectual elite.

And also in reality, social entrepreneurship, while different from for-profit business, is no less challenging. For one thing, the bulk of whatever work you do gets done by people who don't get paid for it, so you have to be pretty damn good at persuading thousands upon thousands of people to do shit for free. And even better at asking people to give you money to keep the electricity on and staff paid. Not as easy as it looks. But most of all, political organizations are going to make enemies, and thus, they're going to get scrutiny, just as ACORN ultimately did.
  #41066  
Old 05-03-2019, 09:39 AM
Monty's Avatar
Monty is offline
Straight Dope Science Advisory Board
 
Join Date: Feb 1999
Location: Beijing, China
Posts: 22,704
Quote:
Originally Posted by asahi View Post
And also in reality, social entrepreneurship, while different from for-profit business, is no less challenging. For one thing, the bulk of whatever work you do gets done by people who don't get paid for it, so you have to be pretty damn good at persuading thousands upon thousands of people to do shit for free. And even better at asking people to give you money to keep the electricity on and staff paid. Not as easy as it looks. But most of all, political organizations are going to make enemies, and thus, they're going to get scrutiny, just as ACORN ultimately did.

Not to mention that you have to cough up financial records every year.
  #41067  
Old 05-03-2019, 09:47 AM
jshore is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: May 2000
Posts: 6,958
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monty View Post
What the fuck is wrong with being a community organizer?
You're not using your God-given talents to do something useful, you know, like making gobs of money by ripping other people off.

Last edited by jshore; 05-03-2019 at 09:47 AM.
  #41068  
Old 05-06-2019, 01:32 AM
Smapti is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Olympia, WA
Posts: 15,921
Quote:
Originally Posted by asahi View Post
In reality, he was the editor of the Harvard Review, and although I'm neither a Harvard Alum nor a lawyer, I've read over the years that Harvard takes its publications pretty damn seriously. They're not going to let a person of color fuck it up just because they feel sorry for him/her - that's a post reserved for the intellectual elite.
Indeed, it was enough of a big deal that it was reported on in the New York Times at the time.

Quote:
The new president of the Review is Barack Obama, a 28-year-old graduate of Columbia University who spent four years heading a community development program for poor blacks on Chicago's South Side before enrolling in law school. His late father, Barack Obama, was a finance minister in Kenya and his mother, Ann Dunham, is an American anthropologist now doing fieldwork in Indonesia. Mr. Obama was born in Hawaii. (emphasis Smapti's)

Last edited by Smapti; 05-06-2019 at 01:32 AM.
  #41069  
Old 05-06-2019, 06:39 AM
jshore is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: May 2000
Posts: 6,958
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smapti View Post
Mr. Obama was born in Hawaii. (emphasis Smapti's)
That just proves the NYT has altered their original article in their web version. And, if people check in libraries that have microfilms of the NYT and find it is there too, that will just show the extent of the deception: They have actually gone to all the libraries around the world and exchanged the original microfilm!
  #41070  
Old 05-06-2019, 09:50 AM
John Bredin is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: BuffaloGrove IL (Chicago)
Posts: 2,023
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monty View Post
I've actually asked 'pubbies of my acquaintance and relationship (as in my relatives) this; however, I've yet to receive an answer other than doubling down on the ranting:

What the fuck is wrong with being a community organizer?
I asked a (moderate, NOT Trump-supporting) Republican friend this question well before the 2016 election, and her reply was that community organizing/social work/charity work is a hobby or vocation that you volunteer for in your spare time, not a proper full-time job. My reply was that firefighter is also not a full-time job in rural areas and small towns (volunteer firefighters) but IS a full-time job in a large metropolitan area ... like Chicago.
  #41071  
Old 05-07-2019, 01:56 PM
Rick Kitchen's Avatar
Rick Kitchen is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: Citrus Heights, CA, USA
Posts: 16,785
Former staffer for ex-Congressman Scott Taylor indicted for forging signatures on a fraudulent election petition to get a third candidate on the ballot to siphon off Democratic votes against Taylor. It didn't work, anyway.
https://pilotonline.com/news/local/c...02f13d9fd.html
  #41072  
Old 05-07-2019, 02:03 PM
Rick Kitchen's Avatar
Rick Kitchen is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: Citrus Heights, CA, USA
Posts: 16,785
In high school, right wing commentator Candace Owens sued her high school claiming racist threats.
https://www.newstimes.com/news/artic...gh-107476.php?

She now claims there is no such thing as racism.
https://www.theroot.com/candace-owen...has-1833034080
  #41073  
Old 05-07-2019, 04:28 PM
John_Stamos'_Left_Ear is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 2,662
Well, she claimed it on March 4th when CPAC was actually happening.
  #41074  
Old 05-07-2019, 07:11 PM
Rick Kitchen's Avatar
Rick Kitchen is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: Citrus Heights, CA, USA
Posts: 16,785
Jacob Wohl and his partner in conspiracies Jack Burkman have scheduled a press conference tomorrow where it's expected that they will try to prove their lies about Pete Buttigieg. Burkman is claiming that there's a leftist plan to disrupt the press conference, and he pointed to a website that is organizing the "protest". The website is owned by Jacob Wohl.
https://www.mediaite.com/weird/anti-...email-address/

Last edited by Rick Kitchen; 05-07-2019 at 07:11 PM.
  #41075  
Old 05-07-2019, 07:15 PM
JohnT's Avatar
JohnT is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 22,485
Jacob Wohl is the Mozart of dumb.
  #41076  
Old 05-07-2019, 07:47 PM
Smapti is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Olympia, WA
Posts: 15,921
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnT View Post
Jacob Wohl is the Mozart of dumb.
You really have to marvel at how bad he is at this. I guess this is what happens when you grow up in a right-wing news bubble and think that all you have to do is make an accusation and everyone will automatically believe you
  #41077  
Old 05-07-2019, 08:15 PM
manson1972's Avatar
manson1972 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 10,900
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smapti View Post
You really have to marvel at how bad he is at this. I guess this is what happens when you grow up in a right-wing news bubble and think that all you have to do is make an accusation and everyone will automatically believe you
He IS getting people on a random message board to talk about him, so there's that.
  #41078  
Old 05-07-2019, 09:41 PM
Morgyn is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: In the time stream
Posts: 5,579
<puts on tinfoil helmet>How many times have he and his partner set up a fake protest or threat against themselves in a way that was easily discoverable to be themselves? I have a hard time believing anyone capable of feeding and dressing themselves hasn't managed to learn after the third or fourth time that if they want to do something like this, they have to cover their tracks better. </takes off tinfoil helmet>

Seriously, how dumb can they be? At this point, only people as stupid as they are believe them, and most of them are starting to have doubts.
  #41079  
Old 05-07-2019, 11:21 PM
Defensive Indifference is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 6,909
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Kitchen View Post
Jacob Wohl and his partner in conspiracies Jack Burkman have scheduled a press conference tomorrow where it's expected that they will try to prove their lies about Pete Buttigieg. Burkman is claiming that there's a leftist plan to disrupt the press conference, and he pointed to a website that is organizing the "protest". The website is owned by Jacob Wohl.
https://www.mediaite.com/weird/anti-...email-address/
Nitpick: the site used to organize the alleged protest is Eventbrite, a commercial event organizing site with a free tier. Wohl was using that service to organize the protest, not a site he personally owned.

To be fair, though, most angry mobs these days do use Eventbrite to gather their forces. It's so convenient and cost effective! You'd be a fool to manage the invitations yourself.
  #41080  
Old 05-08-2019, 03:08 AM
Smapti is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Olympia, WA
Posts: 15,921
Quote:
Originally Posted by manson1972 View Post
He IS getting people on a random message board to talk about him, so there's that.
In the same sense that we'd be talking about him if he went onstage and repeatedly hit himself in the balls with a hammer, perhaps.
  #41081  
Old 05-08-2019, 04:51 AM
Steve MB is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Northern VA
Posts: 13,222
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgyn View Post
I have a hard time believing anyone capable of feeding and dressing themselves
The "capable of dressing themselves" part, at least, is still very much a work in progress:

Fly Unzipped, Jack Burkman and Jacob Wohl Make Laughable Smear Claims Against Mueller
__________________
The Internet: Nobody knows if you're a dog. Everybody knows if you're a jackass.
  #41082  
Old 05-08-2019, 05:49 AM
Zakalwe's Avatar
Zakalwe is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Tallahassee, FL
Posts: 4,925
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smapti View Post
In the same sense that we'd be talking about him if he went onstage and repeatedly hit himself in the balls with a hammer, perhaps.
Is there an Eventbrite invitation to see that? I might be able to clear a few things off my calendar...
  #41083  
Old 05-08-2019, 05:55 AM
Gyrate is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Greater Croydonia
Posts: 23,149
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smapti View Post
In the same sense that we'd be talking about him if he went onstage and repeatedly hit himself in the balls with a hammer, perhaps.
Given the way their last press conference went, I wouldn't completely rule out the possibility of this happening.
  #41084  
Old 05-08-2019, 06:37 AM
bobot's Avatar
bobot is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Chicago-ish
Posts: 7,981
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smapti View Post
In the same sense that we'd be talking about him if he went onstage and repeatedly hit himself in the balls with a hammer, perhaps.
Winning!
  #41085  
Old 05-08-2019, 03:03 PM
Rick Kitchen's Avatar
Rick Kitchen is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: Citrus Heights, CA, USA
Posts: 16,785
The Florida Bar is investigating Matt Gaetz's threatening tweets to Michael Cohen the day before his testimony before Congress.
http://www.tampabay.com/florida-poli...ar-determines/
  #41086  
Old 05-08-2019, 04:49 PM
Mr. Miskatonic's Avatar
Mr. Miskatonic is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Under a pile of books
Posts: 6,682
Vaccines are Sorcery I say! Sorcery!

https://www.newsweek.com/anti-vaxx-t...E0hFCf_HfBgEeQ
__________________
"When you kill the Morlocks, the Eloi tend to die too"
  #41087  
Old 05-08-2019, 05:00 PM
Kobal2's Avatar
Kobal2 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Paris, France
Posts: 17,810
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve MB View Post
The "capable of dressing themselves" part, at least, is still very much a work in progress:

Fly Unzipped, Jack Burkman and Jacob Wohl Make Laughable Smear Claims Against Mueller

They at least are very much in tune with the administration they carry water for : raw malevolence and dishonesty, tempered by jaw-dropping incompetence.
__________________
--- ---
I'm not sure how to respond to this, but that's never stopped me before.
  #41088  
Old 05-08-2019, 06:55 PM
Sherrerd's Avatar
Sherrerd is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 6,664
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobal2 View Post
They at least are very much in tune with the administration they carry water for : raw malevolence and dishonesty, tempered by jaw-dropping incompetence.
And a level of delusional thinking that borders on the monumental:

Quote:
On Wednesday, Burkman demanded that Democratic presidential candidates visit his Arlington home to submit to a background check and rigorous vetting interview. In exchange for the vetting, Burkman offered to give candidates the “Wohl-Burkman Seal of Approval.” If candidates didn’t submit to the vetting, Burkman claimed, voter confidence in elections would be “completely destroyed.”
https://www.thedailybeast.com/jacob-...el-frappuccino

At some point the authorities are going to have to have mercy on these characters and institute involuntary commitment proceedings.
  #41089  
Old 05-08-2019, 07:04 PM
bobot's Avatar
bobot is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Chicago-ish
Posts: 7,981
"And it'd be so peaceful
It'd be so quiet
Aint no clock to punch
no time no day no night

no books to balance
no cheks to bounce
Just four worn, rubber walls and no way out

So lock up my body,and set my soul free
Darlin commit me and swallow the key"

-Steve Earle "Darling Commit Me"

Last edited by bobot; 05-08-2019 at 07:05 PM.
  #41090  
Old 05-08-2019, 07:16 PM
bobot's Avatar
bobot is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Chicago-ish
Posts: 7,981
That's checks, not cheks, dammit. Anyway, while I'm typing again, here's a link to the song which is well worth a click:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-C2rH1b5-TA
  #41091  
Old 05-09-2019, 04:51 PM
Sherrerd's Avatar
Sherrerd is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 6,664
As long as it's not Czechs!
  #41092  
Old 05-10-2019, 01:17 PM
Rick Kitchen's Avatar
Rick Kitchen is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: Citrus Heights, CA, USA
Posts: 16,785
So there's a thing on the Internet where people are listing five jobs they've had. James Comey decided to get into it, so he listed five jobs he's done:
Grocery store clerk
2. Vocal soloist for church weddings
3. Chemist
4. Strike-replacement high school teacher
5. FBI Director, interrupted

And the crazies decided to point out that the first initial of each line spells out GVCSF, which, obviously stands for Grass Valley Charter School Foundation, the foundation which runs a school in the small Northern California town of Grass Valley. And so that obviously means that Comey was making a coded terrorist threat against the school, and they started calling the Grass Valley police department and the school to warn them of an attack. The school had to cancel a fundraiser out of fear of right wing crazies showing up with guns to "protect" the school.
https://thehill.com/homenews/state-w...tion-of-school
  #41093  
Old 05-10-2019, 01:28 PM
JohnT's Avatar
JohnT is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 22,485
How did "JAMES COMEY, YES THE FBI GUY, IS COMING TO SHOOT UP THE SCHOOL!!!" even get play?

Oh, stupid me. The cops are probably on the same Twitter and FB feeds as well.

Last edited by JohnT; 05-10-2019 at 01:28 PM.
  #41094  
Old 05-10-2019, 02:43 PM
ThelmaLou's Avatar
ThelmaLou is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Neither here nor there
Posts: 15,733
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Kitchen View Post
So there's a thing on the Internet where people are listing five jobs they've had. James Comey decided to get into it, so he listed five jobs he's done:
Grocery store clerk
2. Vocal soloist for church weddings
3. Chemist
4. Strike-replacement high school teacher
5. FBI Director, interrupted

And the crazies decided to point out that the first initial of each line spells out GVCSF, which, obviously stands for Grass Valley Charter School Foundation, the foundation which runs a school in the small Northern California town of Grass Valley. And so that obviously means that Comey was making a coded terrorist threat against the school, and they started calling the Grass Valley police department and the school to warn them of an attack. The school had to cancel a fundraiser out of fear of right wing crazies showing up with guns to "protect" the school.
https://thehill.com/homenews/state-w...tion-of-school


You can't make this shit up.
__________________
"It’s not who starts the game, but who finishes it." John Havlicek
  #41095  
Old 05-10-2019, 03:29 PM
Rick Kitchen's Avatar
Rick Kitchen is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: Citrus Heights, CA, USA
Posts: 16,785
AOC commented on being freaked out by the garbage disposal in her new DC area apartment, and the right wing outrage business is trying to claim that she's lying that she's never had experience with a garbage disposal before, especially since she used to work as a bartender.
Turns out, though, that garbage disposals were banned in New York City till 1997, and are still not very much of a thing, and are still banned in commercial establishments, such as bars.
https://theweek.com/speedreads/83996...ally-justified

Last edited by Rick Kitchen; 05-10-2019 at 03:30 PM.
  #41096  
Old 05-10-2019, 03:39 PM
jayjay is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Central Pennsylvania
Posts: 37,123
AOC could claim the grass is green and the immediate reaction on right-wing Twitter would be "OMG, what an idiot she is! Where's your messiah noooow, libtards?"
  #41097  
Old 05-10-2019, 03:58 PM
Typo Negative's Avatar
Typo Negative is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: 7th Level of Hell, Ca
Posts: 17,509
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Kitchen View Post
So there's a thing on the Internet where people are listing five jobs they've had. James Comey decided to get into it, so he listed five jobs he's done:
Grocery store clerk
2. Vocal soloist for church weddings
3. Chemist
4. Strike-replacement high school teacher
5. FBI Director, interrupted

And the crazies decided to point out that the first initial of each line spells out GVCSF, which, obviously stands for Grass Valley Charter School Foundation, the foundation which runs a school in the small Northern California town of Grass Valley. And so that obviously means that Comey was making a coded terrorist threat against the school, and they started calling the Grass Valley police department and the school to warn them of an attack. The school had to cancel a fundraiser out of fear of right wing crazies showing up with guns to "protect" the school.
https://thehill.com/homenews/state-w...tion-of-school
Do none of these people ask themselves simple, basic questions about their assumptions?

Like 1) Why would Comey want to terrorist attack a school?
2) If he did want to terrorist attack a school, why would he pick a remote place like Grass Valley, Ca?
3) If he did want to terrorist attack a remote, out-of-the-way little place like Grass Valley, why would he send a coded message about doing it???
__________________
"God hates Facts"

- seen on a bumper sticker in Sacramento Ca
  #41098  
Old 05-10-2019, 03:59 PM
jayjay is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Central Pennsylvania
Posts: 37,123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Typo Negative View Post
3) If he did want to terrorist attack a remote, out-of-the-way little place like Grass Valley, why would he send a coded message about doing it???
They all think they're Batman and their enemies (i.e., liberals) are campy-60s-Batman's rogues gallery.
  #41099  
Old 05-10-2019, 05:12 PM
Sherrerd's Avatar
Sherrerd is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 6,664
Quote:
Originally Posted by Typo Negative View Post
Do none of these people ask themselves simple, basic questions about their assumptions?

Like 1) Why would Comey want to terrorist attack a school?
2) If he did want to terrorist attack a school, why would he pick a remote place like Grass Valley, Ca?
3) If he did want to terrorist attack a remote, out-of-the-way little place like Grass Valley, why would he send a coded message about doing it???
And none of that will stop them from coming up with OTHER entities with the initials GVCSF, and claims that Comey is coming to shoot them up, too.

(There must be several hundred such entities in the USA alone.)
  #41100  
Old 05-10-2019, 05:21 PM
ThelmaLou's Avatar
ThelmaLou is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Neither here nor there
Posts: 15,733
Quote:
Originally Posted by Typo Negative View Post
Do none of these people ask themselves simple, basic questions about their assumptions?

Like 1) Why would Comey want to terrorist attack a school?
2) If he did want to terrorist attack a school, why would he pick a remote place like Grass Valley, Ca?
3) If he did want to terrorist attack a remote, out-of-the-way little place like Grass Valley, why would he send a coded message about doing it???
*BEEP*

Sorry. Disqualified for bringing logic, reason, and common sense to this discussion. We got no use for those.

And to answer your first question: that would be a no.
__________________
"It’s not who starts the game, but who finishes it." John Havlicek
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:15 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright © 2018 STM Reader, LLC.

 
Copyright © 2017