Old 05-13-2014, 09:40 AM

This is what you get:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Google Chrome
The Website Ahead Contains Malware!
Google Chrome has blocked access to boards.straightdope.com for now.
Even if you have visited this website safely in the past, visiting it now is very likely to infect your Mac with malware.
Malware is malicious software that causes things like identity theft, financial loss, and permanent file deletion.
Old 05-13-2014, 09:41 AM

And this is now a "Reported Attack Page!" on Firefox as well.
Old 05-13-2014, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amanset View Post
This is what you get:
I just got the same thing.
Old 05-13-2014, 09:45 AM

Same for me on Chrome (Windows 8), seemingly any page.
Old 05-13-2014, 09:48 AM
Arms of Steel, Leg of Jello
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WreckingCrew View Post
Same here.
Old 05-13-2014, 10:15 AM

Firefox put up a bunch of barricades to getting here, saying it had been listed as a known badware site. They bumped me over to stopbadware.org . There was a link for more information provided by google, but that did not list any problems with the site.

Even after saying I still want to come here, they give me this:

https://www.stopbadware.org/firefox?....com%2Fsdmb%2F
Old 05-13-2014, 10:22 AM
Charter Member

Same thing on Safari 7.0.3, OS X 10.9. Oddly, when I go to http://www.google.com/safebrowsing/d...raightdope.com, it says mouthing is suspicious. Since safari is supposed to use google safe browsing, this seems very weird.
Old 05-13-2014, 10:50 AM
And Full Contact Origami
SDSAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by amanset View Post
I am currently posting this after clicking on "Proceed at your own risk" in Chrome.

Yes, you've managed to get put on Chrome's "known to spread malware" list.
Me, too.

Lucky for me, I'm running Chrome in a Linux VM, which I will revert to a snapshot when I'm done, so malware, do your worst.
Old 05-13-2014, 11:23 AM

No problem getting here with my iPad, but my PC is locked out with firefox and chrome, but strangely Internet Explorer has no problem.
Has no problem.
Old 05-13-2014, 12:02 PM

I turned off Chrome's built in malware protection, and was able to access. I do run AdBlock.

Last edited by Indyellen; 05-13-2014 at 12:02 PM.
Old 05-13-2014, 12:36 PM
Head Cheese
Charter Member

It happened to me with Firefox. I disabled the "Block Reported Attack Sites" feature and was able to get in. I re-enabled the feature and was still able to get in. It seems like Google's list of malware sites is unstable.
Old 05-13-2014, 12:46 PM
Capo di tutti capi
Administrator

The techs are looking at things and hope to have this resolved soon.

Sorry for your incoonvenience.
Old 05-13-2014, 12:48 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WreckingCrew View Post
I just got this also. I can send a screen capture of the details (and will).
Old 05-13-2014, 01:14 PM

Blocked by Firefox too: Attack Site.
Old 05-13-2014, 01:34 PM

Pinged FireFox.
Old 05-13-2014, 01:36 PM

Here's what I got from Chrome's report:

What is the current listing status for boards.straightdope.com/sdmb?
Site is listed as suspicious - visiting this web site may harm your computer.

What happened when Google visited this site?
Of the 15895 pages we tested on the site over the past 90 days, 76 page(s) resulted in malicious software being downloaded and installed without user consent. The last time Google visited this site was on 2014-05-13, and the last time suspicious content was found on this site was on 2014-05-13.
Malicious software includes 77 exploit(s). Successful infection resulted in an average of 2 new process(es) on the target machine.

Malicious software is hosted on 3 domain(s), including bingoco.net/, amplifyactionset.net/, stanstraight.pw/.

This site was hosted on 1 network(s) including AS22772 (LOGIN).
Old 05-13-2014, 08:16 PM
Charter Member

This is what Firefox/Google said:

Quote:
What is the current listing status for boards.straightdope.com/sdmb?

Site is listed as suspicious - visiting this web site may harm your computer.

Part of this site was listed for suspicious activity 2 time(s) over the past 90 days.

What happened when Google visited this site?

Of the 18533 pages we tested on the site over the past 90 days, 80 page(s) resulted in malicious software being downloaded and installed without user consent. The last time Google visited this site was on 2014-05-13, and the last time suspicious content was found on this site was on 2014-05-13.

Malicious software includes 81 exploit(s). Successful infection resulted in an average of 2 new process(es) on the target machine.

Malicious software is hosted on 3 domain(s), including bingoco.net/, amplifyactionset.net/, stanstraight.pw/.

This site was hosted on 1 network(s) including AS22772 (LOGIN).
Old 05-13-2014, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flight View Post
Firefox put up a bunch of barricades to getting here, saying it had been listed as a known badware site. They bumped me over to stopbadware.org . There was a link for more information provided by google, but that did not list any problems with the site.

Even after saying I still want to come here, they give me this:

https://www.stopbadware.org/firefox?....com%2Fsdmb%2F
And this right here turns a good feature into a ridiculous one. It's one thing to inform me. It even makes sense to ask if I'm sure. But to give a complete useless warning after the page has loaded in another tab? To tell me to turn away after I would have been infected if there was a problem?

You want to tell me that good sites can be infected? Fine. Tell me before I make a decision, not afterwards. And let me opt out of seeing patronizing messages I don't need.

BTW, I'm pretty sure this is an ad-based attack, which is why I went ahead and came here. Plus the site will run without JavaScript enabled, if you want extra protection. With Flashblock and all other plugins set to click-to-run, I feel that the latest Firefox is pretty safe.
Old 05-13-2014, 09:23 PM

I'm getting attack warnings in Firefox again.
Old 05-13-2014, 09:39 PM

Firefox and Chrome both use the same source (Google) for site blacklisting. At the moment, neither MS (SmartScreen) nor ESET (SmartSecurity) are reporting a threat from TSD message boards.

I'm using an old version of FF, and it's blocking all pages correctly. That thing about bringing the page up unprotected in another tab may be a problem with a more recent FF version.

The threat page from Google that I'm seeing in FF is kinda unintelligable: It says that there is malware, and that there isn't: it's left as an excercise for the reader to deduce that it's probably a problem with the addvertisements.
Old 05-14-2014, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaffa View Post
Here's what I got from Chrome's report: . . .
That's what I got. IE let me right through. My firewall did not give me any warnings either yesterday or previously.
Old 05-21-2014, 01:06 AM
Charter Member

For the first time ever I received a warning today. Using IE. The warning pops up with every link I click on.

This website has been reported as unsafe
http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/...e=1&p=17388134 More Details Anti-phishing Adware

We recommend that you do not continue to this website.
Cancel Continue anyway Report false alarm
Advisory provided by Google & IObit
Old 05-21-2014, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honey View Post
For the first time ever I received a warning today. Using IE. The warning pops up with every link I click on.

This website has been reported as unsafe
http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/...e=1&p=17388134 More Details Anti-phishing Adware

We recommend that you do not continue to this website.
Cancel Continue anyway Report false alarm
Advisory provided by Google & IObit
The link you posted just prompts me to reply to a thread.

Last edited by Canadjun; 05-21-2014 at 07:48 AM.
Old 05-27-2014, 01:47 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadjun View Post
The link you posted just prompts me to reply to a thread.
Sorry, it wasn't meant to be a link. I just cut and pasted the message I received. The link was unintentional.
Old 06-20-2014, 02:08 PM

Are there any updates on this issue? I didn't know this was going on until I downloaded Chrome, and got the warning for this site (which is why I haven't been showing up here lately)

Especially helpful would be how many reports have there been so far, and in general what were they doing when they noticed they were hit, how bad was the problem for them, and what has been done so far to get the location of the malware.

I don't know if you (mods) have thought of this already, but have you thought about sequentially taking a certain ad down for a week, then taking another down next week, until you isolate what ad it is? (If your ad contract permits that)

Last edited by Gateway; 06-20-2014 at 02:11 PM.
Old 07-22-2014, 03:23 PM

Twice today, while browsing the boards but prior to being logged in, the display suddenly jumps to a popup with what appears to be a fake Java out-of-date notice.

Assumption of fakery due to some atrocious spelling: "Your JAVA Plugin version is too low, causing the current sites and related softwares can not be opened properly, please update your JAVA Plugin now!"

Address of the popup: http://smliehappy.com/?aff_sub=wmd-w...=am1&aff_sub3=

Time (of second occurrence) approx. 3:15 Pm Central time, US

Browser: IE 9

Mods, please PM me if you need any further info.

Last edited by El_Kabong; 07-22-2014 at 03:25 PM.
Old 07-23-2014, 09:12 PM
Capo di tutti capi
Administrator

Sorry this happened to you.

Interesting that this only happened when you were logged out of the board. I would expect under the circumstances that if we're generating/carrying this, with all the guests we have on the board, we'd be seeing a lot of this.

I tried to look at the page in Chrome and got the "this is a phishing website" message.

Have you seen it since at any time?
Old 10-06-2014, 06:03 PM

Just got an antivirus warning from ESET:

Address has been blocked:
http: //flashquantserve.com/pixel.swf?media=ad&event=played&title=spotxchange&videold=spotxchange&pageURL=&URL=&publisherId=p-04HdaWoZepDYG&labels=75134
IP Address=64.94.107.56

Out of San Francisco?

Would have emailed if I had known where: I have a screen shot.
Old 10-10-2014, 11:10 AM
Capo di tutti capi
Administrator

Quantserve is one of those tracking cookie things advertisers use to, well, track your actions online.

Don't think it's malware per se (though I'm sure there's many that would disagree, they view all this sort of thing as bad actors and they may well be right).
Old 11-02-2014, 10:02 PM
BANNED

Every few times I load a SDMB page on my iPhone, I get a redirect to some spammy web page, which immediately redirects me to the iOS app store for various worthless games like Bejeweled, etc.. Is this intentional on the part of the SDMB? This doesn't happen on my android tablet, only the iPhone. The iPhone only does this on the SDMB, no other webpages.
Old 11-04-2014, 07:42 PM
Capo di tutti capi
Administrator

No, you shouldn't be getting redirects at all.

It's possible there's a rogue ad hiding on the board that's doing this. Do you remember what you have seen when this happens?

I'm sorry this has happened to you. Please, if you see this again and you can see what the ad is -- or even better, if you can get a screen shot -- that would be super helpful. Send your information to me. tubadiva@straightdope.com. And again, if this is a bad acting advertisement on the Straight Dope site, we'll work to get it removed.
Old 03-19-2015, 11:39 AM

Hi. NOT terribly tech savvy. I followed this link to a subscribed thread:

DiggitCamara has just replied to a thread you have subscribed to entitled - Should responding to a bomb threat be illegal by federal law? - in the In My Humble Opinion (IMHO) forum of Straight Dope Message Board.

This thread is located at:
http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/...7&goto=newpost

and it redirected me (using Chrome) to a site which had some popup boxes regarding my flash player being insignificant. I tried to close the boxes (rather than clicking on anything) and it downloaded a file called "setup" which was suspiciously vague about what it was for. I've deleted the file without running it, so I can't tell you more. Just a heads up.

The next time I clicked the link, it went to the right place.
Old 03-24-2015, 11:28 AM

Got this again. "The webpage at www.adblade.com" + not-quite-English which essentially said "click here for an updated version of flash." My flash is up to date, thank you very much. Again, first click of the day. I couldn't get a screen shot as the system froze, but no damage. Yet.
Old 03-24-2015, 01:20 PM

I'm getting this on some threads now. It's a pop-up about Flash needing to be updated then when you X out it pops up again, then when you X out of that one it redirects to this site:

http:// us.oputster.com /hehe/js/ca/index.html (link broken by me.)

My work's antivirus grabs it as malware and gives an error message.
Old 03-24-2015, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drake View Post
Got this again. "The webpage at www.adblade.com" + not-quite-English which essentially said "click here for an updated version of flash." My flash is up to date, thank you very much. Again, first click of the day. I couldn't get a screen shot as the system froze, but no damage. Yet.
I have the same problem.
Old 03-25-2015, 11:17 AM

I'm getting redirected to this now on some threads:

http:// cldrload. com /?a=18065&c=65910&s1=xad267-gbfrauca-300-js-ly-AD-browser-ca-cd

(Link broken by me.)
Old 03-27-2015, 12:29 PM

I was checking into a few things on my PC. I saw that Jake Gyllenhaal had made a new film about boxing titled, "Southpaw". I spent about an hour looking around and during that hour I engaged in very light activity - much lighter than usual.

Anyway, I was surprised to see a message that was purportedly from Google. It said, "Our systems have detected unusual traffic from your computer network. This page checks to see if it's really you sending the requests, and not a robot." It seemed very suspicious to me. So, when I got this message saying "they" (whoever "they" were) wanted me to click on something, I became highly suspicious and didn't want to co-operate at all. Anyway, I just thought I would post this and let the folks here see what it was and maybe someone here could discover what this was about?

It sure did stump me. What the Hell was this all about? I had no idea!

Anyway, It sure did not look very professional to me and I wanted to see if anyone could give me a reasonable explanation. I had no idea what it was that was going on.

However, this show did not appear to me to have the sophistication to detect this kind of stuff and to then go ahead and do anything about it. So, I'd just like to offer these facts to the people here and see if anyone might have anything interesting to say?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

About this page

Our systems have detected unusual traffic from your computer network. This page checks to see if it's really you sending the requests, and not a robot. Why did this happen?

IP address: 24.52.206.8
Time: 2015-03-27T17:12:16Z
URL: https://www.google.ca/search?q=imdb+...N-jnsAT_2oGADw

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

https://ipv4.google.com/sorry/IndexR...44nuLWb1VI_-mg

To continue, please type the characters below:

Please enable images

About this page

Our systems have detected unusual traffic from your computer network. This page checks to see if it's really you sending the requests, and not a robot. Why did this happen?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TubaDiva View Post
Quantserve is one of those tracking cookie things advertisers use to, well, track your actions online.

Don't think it's malware per se (though I'm sure there's many that would disagree, they view all this sort of thing as bad actors and they may well be right).
About this page

Old 07-16-2015, 08:27 AM

I don't usually check the SDMB from my ipad, but I am this morning and within just a few minutes had the ap store pop up on the entry for some game and then soon afterward had my browser attempt to some go2cloud.org site. The page did not load properly before I hit "back" and I was in incognito mode so it wasn't saved in my history and I'm not sure of the exact address.

Both of these happened without me clicking on anything, soon after opening a forum.
Old 07-16-2015, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamia View Post
I don't usually check the SDMB from my ipad, but I am this morning and within just a few minutes had the ap store pop up on the entry for some game and then soon afterward had my browser attempt to some go2cloud.org site. The page did not load properly before I hit "back" and I was in incognito mode so it wasn't saved in my history and I'm not sure of the exact address.
I think it may have been wadogo.go2cloud.org, but the full address was very long.
Old 07-16-2015, 11:43 PM

I used IE for my browser, and before I come to this site, I go to Internet Options -> Privacy, and set the pop-up block to maximum. I do not get pop-ups when I come here. Then after I leave, I have to change the setting back to normal, because the maximum setting blocks things I want at other sites.

It is too bad. I do not really understand why Straight Dope had to go this way.
Old 07-18-2015, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamia View Post

Both of these happened without me clicking on anything, soon after opening a forum.
Possibly the same thing as this thread about redirects on mobile devices.

Last edited by Digital is the new Analog; 07-18-2015 at 03:28 PM.
Old 10-04-2017, 03:36 AM

It looks like malware is back - in both Chrome and Firefox on Windows 8.1 I am getting redirected and popups and click hijacks. Turning off Javascript allows me to browse normally so I suspect one of your ads has malicious scripts. Note: I use adblockers in both browsers, so this may not be related to ads. Its definitely a script though.

Example: in Chrome, once a page has loaded, all links are hijacked to point to (broken intentionally)
Quote:
http : //www.reimageplus.com/lp/rgn/index3.php?tracking=XML&banner=Feed1_Open1_ZA_1.64_RVB2VID_1200&adgroup=boards.straightdope.com&ads_ name=Main%20%20Straight%20Dope%20Message%20Board&keyword=direct&xml_uuid=C81DB426-2AB0-492B-9AA3-C5A45343E4B2&nms=1&vid=1&lpx=rvb2
I am a software developer by trade, so I have eliminated all other possibilities (ie, its you, not me!)
Old 10-04-2017, 04:27 AM

My apologies; I was only experiencing this on SMDB which lead me to believe that it was an ad. I now have experienced the same issue elsewhere. Seems to have arrived in a bad install of paint.net (a free graphics program)

Quote:
Originally Posted by scudsucker View Post
I am a software developer by trade, so I have eliminated all other possibilities (ie, its you, not me!)
Nothing like a little smugness to invite making a fool of myself....
Old 01-27-2018, 12:50 AM

I just got a message from Avast that a threat has been detected and it stopped me from opening the thread "Facebook as a "news source". I couldn't copy exactly what it said the threat was but it had something to do with Facebook and phishing. It's probably some stupid error but I thought I'd let you know just in case. I visited the thread earlier with no issue so it's probably nothing.
Old 01-30-2018, 10:18 PM

I just got another "threat detected" with another thread with the word "Facebook" in the title. Guess that's the problem. It said the threat was a Facebook phishing scam.
Old 02-03-2018, 12:30 AM

I don't know if anyone's even checking this thread but it still happens on those two threads. This is the warning that pops up and won't let me open either page:
HTML:Facebook-A [Phish]