Old 12-04-2012, 04:10 PM
I Am the One Who Bans

It's not foolproof, but it's reasonably effective.
Old 12-05-2012, 09:02 PM
I Am the One Who Bans

Quote:
Originally Posted by taskmgr.exe View Post
Therefore I don't see any reason to ban any IP, including VPN IPs. If someone is troll, just ban his account.
We do. That's always our method of first resort, but sometimes it's not enough. The mods here have been banning spammers and trolls for a while and we're fairly good at it. IP bans are definitely useful. Are you better able to access the board now that I've pared back one of the IP range bans you were asking about?
Old 04-12-2013, 05:14 AM
BANNED

I've Been Banned!

There are a variety of methods to banning someone from a website, forum, game or chat. Some of the common methods and solutions are listed blow. In general your best option to remove a ban is to humbly apologize for your actions which lead to you being banned in the first place.
Banned by IP address

If you are banned only via your IP address you can go ahead and attempt to change your IP address. Read the FAQ: How do I change my IP address? Make sure to clear your cookies first.
Banned by cookie

Using your browser clear your cookies.
Banned by unique token

Many online games have a unique token that is passed during online gaming. This token is often related directly or indirectly to the CD (install) key included with the game when it's purchased. Only by uninstalling and reinstalling with a new CD key will get you around being banned. This type of ban may also include websites that require specific plug-in applications such as Flash. You would want to uninstall any of these plug-ins and reinstall them. This *may* allow you to get passed this type of ban.
Banned by common information

Some websites will ban other accounts (or new accounts) with related personal information such as email address, passwords, credit card number, physical address, etc. When eBay shuts down accounts they seem to shut down any other accounts with related information. The only way around such a ban is to create a new account with *none* of the same information.

Bus Shelter

Last edited by TubaDiva; 04-12-2013 at 07:41 AM.
Old 04-12-2013, 05:27 AM

Oh god, that is the funniest spambot post ever. Please please pleeeze keep it around (with a broken link) mods.

Last edited by Jragon; 04-12-2013 at 05:27 AM.
Old 04-12-2013, 06:11 AM

Harumph, fine.

*Crosses arms*

For the curious, it was a spam post that copied text from some help site about how to get unbanned from a website.

Last edited by Jragon; 04-12-2013 at 06:11 AM.
Old 04-12-2013, 07:41 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Sometimes wishes come true.
Old 04-12-2013, 08:32 AM
MEM Recipient '18

Quote:
Originally Posted by TubaDiva View Post
Sometimes wishes come true.
Pony! I want a pony!
Old 04-12-2013, 05:44 PM
Graphite is a great

Quote:
Originally Posted by IvoryTowerDenizen View Post
Pony! I want a pony!
Don't push it.
Old 04-12-2013, 05:59 PM
MEM Recipient '18

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
Don't push it.
I promise I won't push it! I'd love it and pet it and call it George.

Old 11-06-2013, 01:07 PM

Tough battle - that spam arms race

good luck.
Old 11-06-2013, 01:12 PM

cats - schroedinger

Perhaps the best reply.
Old 02-26-2014, 11:09 PM

The administrators of this forum have monitored your post real-time and deemed your post either
1) Against Forum Policy
2) Of No Forum Material Value
3) A Threat to Deemed Convention
4) A Threat to Forum Legitimacy
5) A Red Flag Within the Realm of Forum Paranoia
6) A Random Hack to Which This Forum Had No Comment
7) A Controlled Termination of your Membership Here and On All Other Associated Mediums
Old 02-26-2014, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pricechange View Post
The administrators of this forum have monitored your post real-time and deemed your post either
1) Against Forum Policy
2) Of No Forum Material Value
3) A Threat to Deemed Convention
4) A Threat to Forum Legitimacy
5) A Red Flag Within the Realm of Forum Paranoia
6) A Random Hack to Which This Forum Had No Comment
7) A Controlled Termination of your Membership Here and On All Other Associated Mediums
This is your second post in three years here at the Dope? I read the other one too. Um, interesting.
Old 03-31-2014, 10:19 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by TubaDiva View Post
We fight spammers aggressively at the SDMB. One of the tools we use to keep them out is to ban their IP numbers when we find them.

It is possible that when we do this you may be accidentally blocked from the board.

We want all the community members to be able to access the board, we want our lurkers, too. What we don't want is spammers, who have been especially pesty lately.

If you find you cannot sign in to the board please contact TubaDiva @ aol. com

In your email please list the IP address you are currently using, that will go a long way towards solving the problem. If you do not know your IP number go to this site, it will tell you: http://www.whatismyip.com/

We hope that this process will go smoothly to keep spammers out and you connected. Please bear with us as we sort this out. Thanks.
Thanks for this information. Why there are many forums they banned you even though you're not a spammer? I know they are very careful, but sometimes they are not reasonable.
Old 04-01-2014, 08:12 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Sometimes in blocking undesirables (spammers) we also accidentally block legitimate users. That's not our intent, we want the good people and want them to have access.
Old 02-19-2015, 11:30 AM
BANNED

Admins can you please check my messages for an explanation of what is going on. I tried to fix it but I think I blew it. Please let me know what I need to do. Thanks
Old 02-19-2015, 02:46 PM
MEM Recipient '18

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperspaz View Post
Admins can you please check my messages for an explanation of what is going on. I tried to fix it but I think I blew it. Please let me know what I need to do. Thanks
I reported your post so the relevant moderators will see it and help you out.
Old 08-27-2015, 11:00 PM

What would be the proper protocol now for addressing IP bans? I find when I try to get on this board via my phone's data plan, it intermittently has me blocked due to an IP ban, but only when I'm in Phoenix. It's fine when I'm accessing the board from other locations with other IP addresses like home or even when I'm using the data plan in other locations (hence I can post this message).
Old 12-28-2015, 10:48 PM
Just some guy.

The first time I tried to log in from my new home in the Philippines I got the "your IP number has been banned" message. That went on for 15 days, until I got a new IP. In the meantime I tried emailing the administrator twice and got no response. Someone deserves a stern lecture.
Old 12-28-2015, 10:50 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Duality View Post
The first time I tried to log in from my new home in the Philippines I got the "your IP number has been banned" message. That went on for 15 days, until I got a new IP. In the meantime I tried emailing the administrator twice and got no response. Someone deserves a stern lecture.
They were confused. They thought there was two of you.
Old 03-26-2016, 01:53 AM

How to Change IP Address if You Get Banned

tell me!How to Change IP Address if You Get Banned
Old 03-26-2016, 03:05 AM
Robot Mod in Beta Testing

Discussions about IP hiding and ban evasion are not permitted here.

If you are a legitimate user of the SDMB and your IP has been banned, send me an e-mail (contact info on profile) and we'll get you straightened out.
Old 12-24-2017, 02:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yupstrips View Post
tell me!How to Change IP Address if You Get Banned
It depends on how you are connected to your ISP. Googling your question will give you some strategies, but not can be depended upon to work.

I have a broadband connection through a hot spot, provided by the Philippine Globe Telecom. I turned off my hotspot before I went to bed, and when I turned it on in the morning, it had reset and I had a new IP, unbanned. But IP bans are often range bans, covering a whole set of IPs, and my new IP could have been in the same range, still banned, but at it turned out, it wasn't and I could get back onto SD. When I got my new IP, only the last two sets of numbers were different. The first two the same.

But when I was hooked up in the USA through my cable company modem, turning off the modem to reset it didn't work.
Old 12-24-2017, 04:39 AM
Robot Mod in Beta Testing

If you are having issues like this, instead of constantly playing games with your internet provider to try to get a new IP, a much better solution is to contact us.

It's easy to see why your IP was banned. We typically ban IP ranges due to spam, and we get a lot of spam from the Philippines. Before banning an IP range, we check to see if we have any legitimate users in that range. However, a legitimate user can later end up in that range, and we don't want to IP ban legitimate users. If you contact us, we will usually lift the ban range and just deal with the spammers as they come. Then, the next time your ISP gives you a new IP in that range, you won't have an issue.
Old 12-24-2017, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by engineer_comp_geek View Post
If you are having issues like this, instead of constantly playing games with your internet provider to try to get a new IP, a much better solution is to contact us.
I did. Five messages in five days before I got a request for my IP number, and then not even an acknowledgement in the next five days.
Old 01-30-2018, 05:01 PM

So - I've been IP banned. I followed instructions on the 'you've been banned' page, which are somewhat different to the instructions at the top of this thread, since they say mail webmaster, not TubaDiva. But I did include my IP and my SDMB user. Crickets have been chirping since.

Hello?
Old 01-30-2018, 05:38 PM

Hi, please PM or email me your info and I will get it to the right people.

bone.at.sdmb gmail
Old 04-08-2018, 08:54 AM

Well it appears that my IP address isn't banned any more. I wonder what happened. I remembered there was this thread about what to do, but since I was IP banned, I couldn't even get in to read threads.