Old 06-09-2014, 01:26 PM
Gormless Wienie
Administrator

SDMB ads are resuming - post problem reports here

After consultation with our ad provider, we're resuming serving of ads on the SDMB. See this thread for steps we're taking to prevent a recurrence of previous problems.

Posts in this thread should be limited to ad-related problems you observe on the SDMB from this point forward. Please do NOT use this thread for general questions or discussion about advertising. Thanks for your cooperation.
Old 06-14-2014, 10:02 PM

5 days clean and counting . . . . .
Old 07-15-2014, 01:04 PM

Getting ads, I should not be.....ever
Old 08-02-2014, 07:51 AM

1. Audible Advert ... "YOU HAVE MAIL". .. If I change to look at that TAB , or move mouse, it repeats "you have .. you h.. you have mail "

It said "shutterstock.com"

But I clicked it and talked about qualifying for iphone PRIZES ..scam !!!

URL after clicking was

http://perfectmobileyes.com/prelande...NDkoATC8ufOeBQ..

Stupid website tried to guess my suburb ...stupid.. got it wrong lol.

BTW hope the girls with silly looks, and mail order brides adds (scams ?) are gone ?

Last edited by Isilder; 08-02-2014 at 07:54 AM.
Old 08-14-2014, 11:44 AM

Deleted.

Last edited by Indian; 08-14-2014 at 11:44 AM.
Old 08-14-2014, 10:34 PM

Took a brief look at the boards while not logged on earlier this week and caught yet another virus, had to do a system restore and lost a couple of hours of work. Again.
Old 08-15-2014, 09:32 AM

Nevermind, it appears my problem may not have been board related. Apologies.
Old 01-26-2015, 04:31 PM
Charter Member

I thought paid members didn't get ads. Now the front page is loaded with them and Adblock seems to be ignoring them.
Old 01-26-2015, 06:03 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chefguy View Post
I thought paid members didn't get ads. Now the front page is loaded with them and Adblock seems to be ignoring them.
Another never mind. The problem is with Chrome, as usual.
Old 01-29-2015, 04:51 PM

I apologize if this is the incorrect forum or thread for this.

While browsing the message boards on my mobile phone I frequently encounter ads that automatically load the Google Play Store and try to get me to download a game. This is incredibly frustrating.

I'm not sure if this next part is ad related, but there are other times where the phone will crash to home screen on particular threads. Considering there is no media posted in-line, I'm assuming this is also ad related. Unfortunately I can never tell which would be the culprit, as the ads can change.
Old 01-29-2015, 05:03 PM
Gormless Wienie
Administrator

This is the first I've heard of anything to do with the Google Play Store. If you can send us a screen capture next time this happens, we'll look into it.
Old 02-23-2015, 12:31 AM

Just checking in for the first time since 4/24/2004 to see how the whole "paid subscription" thing was working out. It doesn't look like I missed anything.
Old 03-25-2015, 04:59 AM

Some SDMB pages are autolinking to a page which tries to get me to download an exe file. The last URL was http://kingsdowns.com/up/cd/uk.html?...9-3d11abc335ab
Old 05-25-2015, 04:41 PM
Charter Member

I'm getting pop-under ads from this site. Very annoying.
Old 06-18-2015, 06:10 PM

I am getting pop under on my phone and pc going to a political polling page.

Annoying.

Slee
Old 06-20-2015, 11:23 PM

The ads that bug me are the big pop-ups, and I get them when I try to access the article for the day at the Straight Dope site, not when I come to the message board. I have changed my IE internet options to "block ALL pop-ups", and I hope that will stop this. The pop-ups go to my desktop and stay there until I close them.
Old 06-27-2015, 04:38 PM

I second two ad-related problems already mentioned in this thread.

First, clicking from the front page of http://straightdope.com to the message board from the sidebar opens a new tab in Chrome and a new window in IE11, and on at least one occasion in Chrome for Android. This happens almost every time I'm in a new session (like after a reboot), though it does not often happen twice if I repeat the procedure during the same session. The new tab always loads the same right-wing political website, which I could name if necessary.

The second problem is the automatic redirect from any page in boards.straightdope.comm seemingly at random, to the Google Play store. This happens before pageload is complete in Chrome for Android, and sometimes but not always gives me a prompt to launch the store or visit the page in the browser. As I never follow the links, I don't know what app they're for. This completely prevents page loading, and causes me to use back to return to the SDMB.
Old 06-30-2015, 04:55 PM

The most irritating thing is a pop-under for MacKeeper, which demands that I click a button to verify that I want to leave their page. Since MacKeeper is pretty much malware, I don't plan to do any such thing--which means that I have to to the Mac equivalent of CTL-ALT-DEL and stop Safari entirely, and hope that the next time I log on, i won't get the popunder.

As you can imagine, this is insanely irritating. You could improve the site 600% by ceasing to run MacKeeper ads.
Old 07-02-2015, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketeer View Post
The most irritating thing is a pop-under for MacKeeper, which demands that I click a button to verify that I want to leave their page. Since MacKeeper is pretty much malware, I don't plan to do any such thing--which means that I have to to the Mac equivalent of CTL-ALT-DEL and stop Safari entirely, and hope that the next time I log on, i won't get the popunder.

As you can imagine, this is insanely irritating. You could improve the site 600% by ceasing to run MacKeeper ads.
Yes, that is the one I was complaining about. It happened again when I came here yesterday, so now before I come here I turn my pop-up blocker setting to maximum. It is a nuisance to have to do this. When I leave I have to change the pop-up blocker setting back to normal because the maximum interferes with so many other things I do on the net.
Old 07-27-2015, 02:34 PM

I've started getting pop-up IE windows with political ads. The latest is a link to:
http:// engine.4dsply .com/ mediahosting.engine? MediaId=30482&AId=360&CId=9331&PId=22842&SiteId=2518&ZoneId=11624&VolumeMetricId=87279cdd-6c7a-4a46-844c-9c6bb794a0a4&PassBackUrl=&res=1920x1080
{broken link to inhibit accidental clicking}

I am a paid member and navigated from the Straight Dope main site to the SDMB by clicking on the Message Boards link. It must be occurring from the main site before ads are inhibited in the SDMB for paid members.

I have IE 11.0.9600.17801 with Pop-up Blocker on Medium.

Can someone explain why it pops up and how to prevent it?

Last edited by Corner Case; 07-27-2015 at 02:35 PM. Reason: disabled hyperlink some more
Old 07-27-2015, 04:56 PM
Robot Mod in Beta Testing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corner Case View Post
It must be occurring from the main site before ads are inhibited in the SDMB for paid members.
It is coming from the main site. The main page does not block ads based on user membership.

You can block the ads using adblock, which is now available for IE.

You can also use zone restrictions in IE to block scripts. For those using other browsers, Firefox has the noscript add-on available, and chrome has ScriptSafe. Blocking scripts on the SDMB itself will cause some features to fail, such as the pop-up notice when you get a PM and certain editing features. If you allow scripts on the SDMB but disallow them elsewhere, that will also stop a lot of ads from popping up.
Old 08-06-2015, 08:48 PM

I'm getting ads that kick me out of Safari and into the App Store in a loop. This is obnoxious.

iOS 9 with its ad-blocking functionality in Safari can't come soon enough.
Old 08-07-2015, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewm View Post
I'm getting ads that kick me out of Safari and into the App Store in a loop. This is obnoxious.

iOS 9 with its ad-blocking functionality in Safari can't come soon enough.
The same thing keeps happening to me on my phone. (iPhone 6)
Old 08-09-2015, 07:06 PM

iPhone 4S, iOS 8.4, Safari.
Took me 4 tries to get into the ATMB forum. Each time, I was redirected to a blank web page which replaced the page I was on and which had ads.mobvertising/.net as its URL (slash inserted by me to keep anything from making the URL be a link). It then opened the App Store. Finally got into ATMB, tried reading sparky!'s thread about the issue, took me 3 tries to get into it (same thing occurring). engineer_comp_geek suggested posting problems here in this sticky. Took 3 tries to get into sticky, same thing occurring.
Old 08-09-2015, 09:32 PM

I have completely given up trying to access the Straight Dope from my iPhone (using Safari). Every time I try to open it, I am redirected to an ad for Uber. And there is no way to get back to the Straight Dope page from it, so I literally cannot access the site. This doesn't happen with any other site.

Last edited by Alto; 08-09-2015 at 09:35 PM.
Old 09-05-2015, 02:14 AM

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE MAKE THE BMO HARRIS ADS STOP.

No matter what thread I click on, including this one, I get a BMO Harris ad that autoplays screaming at me that I need top fix my busy lifestyle by using BMO Harris online banking or downloading the BMO Harris app. It starts playing even before the page downloads. It even plays again if I go to the next page in a thread.

It's been doing this all day and is still doing it all night.

If I right-click on the ad, it only gives me the flash version information. And I don't get the address of the web site if I mouse over it.

Please make it stop.
Old 09-08-2015, 02:53 PM

seconded
Old 09-13-2015, 08:51 PM

I will purchase a membership when they stop.
Old 09-14-2015, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by motu View Post

seconded
Thirded. Every single thread, every single time.
Old 01-29-2016, 11:45 PM

Could you get rid of the Casey's General Store ad? That ad, and just that ad, is slowing down the site.
Old 01-30-2016, 12:01 AM

I saw all five ad slots filled with offers to turn a fat girl into a thin girl. Clearly, the ads are not targeted well.
Old 03-24-2016, 07:42 PM

I am getting occasional ads with sound in them which I thought was against policy here. Its a Sea Coast (I think) Bank ad running at the bottom of forum pages. Seems to be Rubicon ads. Can't give you a screen shot as I am on my phone.
Old 04-14-2016, 06:16 AM

I am getting some kind of sound that tries to play when ads are running. Frequently I get a message at the top of the page in a thin yellow banner that shockwave has crashed and I don't even have shockwave?! I have had this computer (windows 10) for a couple months and used without incident until this week. Now the ads are causing the page to freeze and jerk around. Whatever issue is causing this is also creating difficulty replying to messages. It appears to be ad related as the jerky sound stops immediately when I close this site. It has become difficult to read and use.

Last edited by Ellecram; 04-14-2016 at 06:20 AM.
Old 04-14-2016, 06:27 AM

despite being a member, I'm getting pop under ads when I visit the site.
Old 04-14-2016, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellecram View Post
I am getting some kind of sound that tries to play when ads are running. Frequently I get a message at the top of the page in a thin yellow banner that shockwave has crashed and I don't even have shockwave?! I have had this computer (windows 10) for a couple months and used without incident until this week. Now the ads are causing the page to freeze and jerk around. Whatever issue is causing this is also creating difficulty replying to messages. It appears to be ad related as the jerky sound stops immediately when I close this site. It has become difficult to read and use.
Same here. The page often freezes or only scrolls in a jerky motion. I also hear ads playing although nothing related appears on the screen. It's irritating and frankly puts me off coming here. I also assume the problem is ad related as it doesn't occur on any other sites I visit
Old 04-23-2016, 03:13 PM

Why oh why does a video advertisement start up automatically at the bottom of the page with no way to shut it off?
Old 04-29-2016, 04:06 AM

So I am still getting sound ads autoplaying. Congratulations you've driven another person to use adblocker. If you think autoplay video ads and popunder ads aren't going to drive away people especially new visitors then I guess we live in different worlds.
Old 05-02-2016, 06:47 PM

Why do I have to turn my speakers off to participate in this forum? It's thoroughly annoying.
Old 05-07-2016, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Stamos'_Left_Ear View Post
Why oh why does a video advertisement start up automatically at the bottom of the page with no way to shut it off?
Its baaaaack!!
Old 05-10-2016, 09:17 AM

I've gotten two redirects so far in the past hour on mobile. No url as I close the browser before the redirect finishes.
Old 05-10-2016, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sario View Post
I've gotten two redirects so far in the past hour on mobile. No url as I close the browser before the redirect finishes.
On mobile I am getting tons of redirects that totally hijack the browser. I can't get the URL and have to close the tab.

The ad states I won a prize.

This is annoying as hell

Slee
No, I dot run an as blocker. I don't use sites that require them. If the ads big me I stop using the site.
Old 05-20-2016, 06:07 PM
Corellian Nerfherder

Particularly over the past week or so, I've had a number of instances in which the script in the ads on the board pages (note: *not* the one-a-day pop-up ad) causes Firefox to grind to a halt. I eventually get a "script unresponsive" message in most cases. IME, this is usually a sign of a poorly-made ad.
Old 05-24-2016, 09:39 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

I got the Popular Science TV pop-up again, the very annoying one with the loud self-starting video.
Old 05-25-2016, 10:43 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Same problem with the pop-up for Working Mother TV-loud auto start video.
Old 06-01-2016, 07:05 AM

After a few months where I rarely visited the SDMB I have been back recently and found the board lagging hugely. As I type this I am having to wait for a few seconds for the text to catch up with my typing. The problem seems to be related to ads, as I get messages in the status bar saying "waiting for [advert server sites]" when the hangups happen.

The URLs in the status bar change regularly. fw.adsafeprotected.com is the one that seems to be hanging it up at the moment, and has just crashed the Flash plugin on Chrome.
Old 06-05-2016, 05:58 PM

So, then, it appears that the Popular Science TV ads and others of that ilk are coming from the Straight Dope. This seems to me to be a breach of contract of some kind, since we are promised* that paid members should not have to see any ads at all.

Can the settings for these ads not be tweaked so as to be aware of who is a paid member and who is not? Or does no-one in authority care?

*I have not actually been able to find this anywhere in writing, at least not in any of the stickies. I'm sure I have read this in various posts on this site, but searching for it seems a Herculean, if not Sisyphean, task. If there is no such promise, I might as well stop paying for a membership, because what the hell other benefit is there?
Old 06-05-2016, 06:54 PM

As mentioned in this thread, there is a problem on mobile browsers that when a new page loads, it auto scrolls right to the bottom of the page. andrewm mentions having this problem on iOS Safari, but I'm having it, too, on Android, Lollipop 5.0.1.
Old 06-16-2016, 11:01 AM

There is an ad for something but I can't tell what it is. It looks like it has a night shot of the Empire State building.

Anyway, (and I don't know the computerspeak term, so forgive me) it won't let me scroll past it. I've used the mouse scroll and the scroll bar on the right of the screen. It keeps grabbing and pulling my view back up to the ad.

I can usually make it stop by refreshing the screen, but it's annoying.
Old 06-16-2016, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivylass View Post
There is an ad for something but I can't tell what it is. It looks like it has a night shot of the Empire State building.

Anyway, (and I don't know the computerspeak term, so forgive me) it won't let me scroll past it. I've used the mouse scroll and the scroll bar on the right of the screen. It keeps grabbing and pulling my view back up to the ad.

I can usually make it stop by refreshing the screen, but it's annoying.

Same here.
Old 06-30-2016, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellecram View Post
Just chiming in to say I'm having similar issues, using Google Chrome. No other sites cause this problem, and I've checked to see that I don't have shockwave double-installed or anything. I usually have multiple tabs open, which is probably part of the problem.

Typically, what happens is that the site won't scroll, or is really slow to respond, presumably because of the background activity from the ads. Then it will announce that shockwave has crashed. It's annoying, nothing more, but it does make it difficult to read.

Last edited by Dr. Drake; 06-30-2016 at 12:11 PM.