Old 11-18-2017, 06:29 PM

I can't use SDMB on my iPhone anymore. When I click on a thread, I get this.

When I click the "close", I get this.

I can find no way to defeat it. It's been two or three days, I'm logging this from my desktop.
Old 11-18-2017, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucas Jackson View Post

I can find no way to defeat it. It's been two or three days, I'm logging this from my desktop.

That’s exactly what I’m getting.
Old 11-29-2017, 12:34 PM

Not a complaint. I accessed this board from a windows box that doesn't run an ad blocker today, and while the ads are still annoying, I was pleasantly surprised to see that:

1) they are from legitimate companies that I might want to do business with, and there's no ad content that makes me nervous a co-worker might see it.

2) They are mostly staying on the bottom of the page, allowing me to see the content of the site.

I know I've complained a lot. I thought I should mention that it looks better, at least from my set-up.
Old 11-29-2017, 01:03 PM

I went ahead and tried the front page on an open browser. The very first click opened a popup to the "Bill Gates brain booster" ad.
Old 11-29-2017, 01:09 PM

Huh, today I've seen ads from several car companies, and some odd stuff like WordPress and MilkBone dog biscuits.
Old 12-04-2017, 05:24 PM

I've been getting a lot of auto-play ads today, mostly for The Daily Show.
Old 12-18-2017, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robot Arm View Post
I've been getting a lot of auto-play ads today, mostly for The Daily Show.
For a couple weeks, I was getting an ad on my phone for the state lottery. It would essentially hijack the screen for a few seconds where I'd tap a link, then this animated border would creep along the screen, the "Play the Lottery" banner would show and I'd have to tap again after it was done playing to finally get the link to work.

Now it's the same thing except for Sprint. Having TWO ads doing that was enough to finally make me switch phone browsers and install an ad blocker.
Old 01-09-2018, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucas Jackson View Post

This is my experience too. SDMB is dead to my iPhone. Such a shame. If you had ads that worked, I'd willingly suffer through them. Your ads have disabled your site though, not earned money for it.

Jophiel, did you have better luck with another phone browser?
Old 01-09-2018, 04:11 PM

I can't get on the SDMB with my phone at all. Tried it twice, something hijacked my phone, it made noise, and it would not go away until I shut down the phone. Will not be trying that again.

No, it was not the fault of my phone. That has never happened anywhere else.

I will definitely not buy anything from companies whose ads annoy me. By "annoy" I mean, essentially disable the screen on MY computer, blocking content until I click through. Not clicking through, okay? I'm out of there and I'm not buying your product. Okay, I bought a Toyota, but I bought it from its previous owner, not from a dealer.
Old 01-20-2018, 01:57 PM
Charter Member

I was reading this weeks column and had this ad open up on my I pad. It's so terribly fake and misleading that I have to report it. It is meant to look like a CNN story and constantly drops famous names of poeople who are endorsing it....John Stewart, Anderson cooper, Steven hawking, etc. I actually think it's bad enough to be illegal. Can you guys monitor or eliminate this product from your advertisers?

http://brain-breakfast.com/viral-sto...=75426&trvjs=t
Old 03-16-2018, 08:19 PM

Hey! Charter Member, SDSAB, and I didn't even get ads during my suspension. Why do I have them now? I paid my debt to society.
posted by logicpunk at 10:07 AM on December 20, 2007 [3 favorites]
Old 03-17-2018, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dropzone View Post
Hey! Charter Member, SDSAB, and I didn't even get ads during my suspension. Why do I have them now? I paid my debt to society.
You're showing as a guest.
Old 03-17-2018, 12:50 PM

I know. Grrrrrrr!

ETA: It's not like the ads are nearly as annoying as people claim, even on this 7" tablet, but it's the (sniff) principle.
posted by logicpunk at 10:07 AM on December 20, 2007 [3 favorites]

Last edited by dropzone; 03-17-2018 at 12:54 PM.
Old 04-05-2018, 03:12 PM

Unclosable ads in mobile version of site

I recently started using the mobile version of the SDMB, and I'm getting many popup ads that cover a significant fraction of the screen that I can't close. The ads have a nice prominent black X, but when I touch it, that ends up opening brand new tab to whatever the ad site is, not closing the ad. Occasionally, I manage to hit the X exactly just so and the ad closes, but most of the time, I can't do it and have to live with it covering a bunch of screen real estate or I have to refresh the screen and hope I get no ad, or a different ad that doesn't cover so much screen.

I'm wondering if it's a case of "the black X, it does nothing!" with the ads actually being borderline malware.

If it matters, I'm using Chrome on an Android LG G3.

Right now I'm sitting at my desktop and typing this post while looking at the dope on my mobile, but of course since I started typing the ads have gone away and I don't recall which were the worst offenders. The lastest popup ad I saw was for the DC lottery. I saw several of them, and my several attempts to close them all failed but the final one succeeded. Its only blessing was it was a relatively small one, only covering maybe just the bottom 1/4 of the screen or a bit less.
Old 04-05-2018, 04:03 PM
Robot Mod in Beta Testing

Thanks for letting us know. If you can recall a specific ad or ads that had this issue, any details would be very helpful. There might indeed be some ads where the X does nothing, but if we don't know what ads to look at, it's hard for us to say.

I have also forwarded what info you posted to our admins so that they can look into it further.
Old 04-17-2018, 05:36 AM

I'm at the airport, using Firefox in my phone. I try to search for new threads. But there are ads accepts a third of the screen, the whole thing refreshes painfully slowly, and it turns out i clicked "calendar" instead of "new threads". So i try again.

"Sorry, you need to wait 120 minutes between searches."

Really? Really grrrrrrr.
Old 04-23-2018, 08:06 PM

Right now I have a Reebok ad that won't close no matter how many times or how carefully I press X. It only covers a small portion of my screen, so not a huge problem, but I can't switch forums through the bar at the bottom of the page. I'm using Chrome on an Android.
Old 05-11-2018, 02:46 PM

I want to report an issue with an ad that has an embedded video that autoplays when I load a page on SDMB. The ad is for Sally Hansen nail care products. I have tried using the options in the ad (ad covers content; see the ad too often; etc.) to see the ad less or preferably never, but the ad keeps loading on new pages.

It wouldn't be so bad except for the ad video autoplay.. I'm listening to music on my phone and reading the Dope, but every time the ad autoplays it turns off my music while the ad plays. That part is unacceptable.
Old 05-26-2018, 09:53 AM

Whatever ad the SDMB is now running causes colored borders to appear on all sides of the board, top, bottom, right & left. Using Safari on an iPhone.

Why is this the only website I visit that has such sloppy and intrusive ads? It can’t be difficult to actually fix it
Old 05-26-2018, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyebrows 0f Doom View Post
Why is this the only website I visit that has such sloppy and intrusive ads?
Ever go to snopes.com? I can't visit there using my older iPad.
Old 06-02-2018, 10:15 AM

There’s now a gigantic black video ad at the bottom of the screen. https://ibb.co/djvd8J
Old 06-02-2018, 12:16 PM

theres a rather obnoxious chipotle restaurant ad that follows you on the mobile version I don't know if its on the pc site because I never log out …...

Last edited by nightshadea; 06-02-2018 at 12:21 PM.
Old 06-06-2018, 07:49 PM

Yeah, I came here to bitch about the Chipotle ad too. Takes up too much screen, doesn't go away, resizes your text if you are zoomed in or out (out to be able to read more text because the Chipotle ad takes up about 20% of the screen), and has a little 'x' to dismiss the ad THAT DOESN'T FUCKING WORK.

John Stossel is a fuckwaffle
Old 07-04-2018, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayaker View Post
You're showing as a guest.
I was a SDMB until ed fired me, when I became a gueßt. Bite me.
Old 07-05-2018, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dropzone View Post
I was a SDMB until ed fired me, when I became a gueßt. Bite me.
It took you 3 1/2 months to come up with that? Spend all that time figuring out the "ß"?

Consider yourself bitten.