Old 04-13-2018, 11:24 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Czarcasm View Post
There's an old adage that goes something like "You only get one chance to make a first impression", and I wonder if someone might take "ZOMBIE!!" and/or "Brains!!" as a personal insult about their intelligence. I know that some want to get their tired jokes in, but I also know the the difference between telling a joke to someone(your fellow jokesters), and telling a joke about someone(the first-timer who probably doesn't know why you are mocking her/him).
"Zombie" is hardly a localized joke though. Anybody who's been in a MB is going to get the reference.
Old 04-13-2018, 11:34 AM

Plus, if they're not smart enough to look at a date, do we really want them around here?

Old 04-13-2018, 11:53 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DooWahDiddy View Post
Plus, if they're not smart enough to look at a date, do we really want them around here?

Thank you for pointing out the mixed message I'm seeing here: "It's all just just fun and games...and it's not like we wanted here you any way".

Last edited by Czarcasm; 04-13-2018 at 11:54 AM.
Old 04-13-2018, 12:09 PM

I think you're wildly overstating the harm of zombie jokes. Most thread necromancers never post again even if they are not made fun of. My cite is the Stewart Sandwiches thread, which has dozens of well-meaning and even insightful bumps and very little teasing. How many of those posters stuck around?

It's reasonable enough to be annoyed at tired jokes, but not so much the "won't somebody think of the newbies" argument. Nobody is being driven from the dope because of braaaaaiiiins.

Last edited by Johnny Bravo; 04-13-2018 at 12:09 PM.
Old 04-13-2018, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Thank you for pointing out the mixed message I'm seeing here: "It's all just just fun and games...and it's not like we wanted here you any way".
I was 100% kidding, but honestly I would prefer quality over quantity. Maybe from a financial standpoint the Dope just wants as many members as they can get, but from where I'm sitting I would much prefer a smaller group of thoughtful, well-educated people than a larger group of one-word posters who contribute nothing to the thread. And you know exactly who I'm talking about.
Old 04-13-2018, 12:37 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I was 100% kidding, but honestly I would prefer quality over quantity. Maybe from a financial standpoint the Dope just wants as many members as they can get, but from where I'm sitting I would much prefer a smaller group of thoughtful, well-educated people than a larger group of one-word posters who contribute nothing to the thread. And you know exactly who I'm talking about.
I'm with you one the one word posters. But if all you want on this board is "well educated" members, I kind of think you're missing the point of this board's mission charter. And ironically, I find this sentiment more abrasive than any "zombie joke" I've ever read.
Old 04-13-2018, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grrr! View Post
I'm with you one the one word posters. But if all you want on this board is "well educated" members, I kind of think you're missing the point of this board's mission charter. And ironically, I find this sentiment more abrasive than any "zombie joke" I've ever read.
I apologize, I didn't literally mean "well-educated". I mean people who are able to string together a complete sentence on a text-based medium. I myself am not well-educated, haha, but I do think before I post and try to use correct grammar.

Anyway, back on topic, I never got the impression zombie jokes hurt anybody's feelings, but I still think a simple warning message when posting to an old thread would solve it, if it's possible to implement something like that.
Old 04-13-2018, 01:01 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I don't care about the joke per say, but I do appreciate being told I'm in a zombie thread.
I concur.
Old 04-13-2018, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowboarder Bo View Post
Are we also prepared to ban replies to the effect of "Hey, New Poster, just FYI this is an old thread and many of the people who participated in it may no longer be around (or even remember this thread)"? Both serve the same purpose, just one has a snark/comedy angle to it.
Except that it's no longer comedic after the 8,000th time.
Old 04-13-2018, 01:34 PM
Charter Member

I"d prefer just a, "Welcome Newbie. FYI, this thread was started back in 2004 and most of the participants are no longer on this message board."

Maybe I'm just really sensitive, but I've always hated the experience of starting a new job and everyone in the department is constantly dropping inside jokes. Me, as the newbie, and desperately wanting to fit in as a 'team player' getting all queasy because I don't know the reference.

Now, of course, a message board isn't as big of a deal . But still, as a newbie, I'd be taken back if I'd posted a legitimate response to a thread and then I"m bombarded with references to brains.
Old 04-13-2018, 04:57 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSYoungEsq View Post
I see that I received a request from Colibri about this very thing in a thread he closed. "Personally appreciate". With respect, sir, you do not as a Moderator have the authority to "personally appreciate" that posters modify their behavior to make you happy. As I stated above, the point of the post is NOT to a) get a moderator to close the thread (I would report it if that was what I thought was needed, as I have in the past) or b) inform the new poster of anything. It serves the VERY VALID PURPOSE of informing every other poster following that the thread has been resurrected.
Greetings DSYoungEsq and welcome to the Straight Dope Message Board!

Just so you know, this thread is 2 days/years/decades old and not all of the upthread posters are currently active. No worries, maybe a few of the other regulars will have something to add. Just giving everyone a heads up.

That's all I have to say here, but welcome aboard!
----

Another approach is

Note: This thread is 2 days/years/decades old!!

Brief comment brief comment brief comment lorem ipsum lapsang souchong.
----

ETA, FYI: I never found the zombie joke to be funny, and I always found it unwelcoming. I've laughed at RL zombie jokes: it's just this iteration that doesn't work for me.

Last edited by Measure for Measure; 04-13-2018 at 04:59 PM.
Old 04-13-2018, 05:30 PM

A zombie joke is not going to send a zombie-resurrecting newbie running for the hills. He or she will either:
  • Understand the reference
  • Initially not understand the reference, then get it and rub their hands with glee because now they can zombie-bomb some other unsuspecting newbie, or
  • Not care

mmm
Old 04-13-2018, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bone View Post
We want to be as welcoming to new posters as possible. Having someone come as a result of a google search only to find the topic locked is not as welcoming as possible. If there is a way the discussion can continue, that's fine. If the circumstances dictate otherwise, participants no longer active, underlying information no longer operative, etc., then a polite note can be given with an invitation to start a new thread if people so desire.
I actually think it would be more welcoming to new users to automatically lock old threads than to allow them to cluelessly bump a thread they don't realize is old. Even if there are no zombie jokes, the revival of a thread by a new poster is almost certain to be greeted with a correction, confusion, or annoyance. The person the newbie is responding to often hasn't posted in years anyway, and if the newbie has anything interesting to say that's not just a direct response to an old post then they can start a new thread.
Old 04-13-2018, 06:57 PM
Charter Member

Look, if you post to add something worthwhile, but can't resist a little zombie joke, fine. It's stale and old, but meh.

But dont jump in JUST to post the zombie joke.
Old 04-13-2018, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D'Anconia View Post
Let's go to the quarry and throw stuff down there! Says who?

Last edited by Snowboarder Bo; 04-13-2018 at 07:33 PM.
Old 04-13-2018, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Pretty much everybody.
Old 04-13-2018, 07:42 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

The "quarry" joke is only funny to you and your fans, not because they think the joke is funny, but because you and your fans knows it annoys people. This is how juveniles behave, not well reasoned adults..
Old 04-13-2018, 08:20 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
The "quarry" joke is only funny to you and your fans, not because they think the joke is funny, but because you and your fans knows it annoys people. This is how juveniles behave, not well reasoned adults..
Well, I dunno about that, but, no, it is almost never funny anymore.
Old 04-13-2018, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Quote:
It's called a running gag. A running gag is funny because it's been done 8,000 times before.
Quote:
The humor in a running gag may derive entirely from how often it is repeated
Old 04-13-2018, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug K. View Post
It's called a running gag. A running gag is funny because it's been done 8,000 times before.
In the case of Braiins (or quarries), it's no longer funny, if it ever was.
Old 04-14-2018, 01:23 AM
Elephant Whisperer

I am so coming back to this thread a year from now.
Old 04-14-2018, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDeth View Post
Look, if you post to add something worthwhile, but can't resist a little zombie joke, fine. It's stale and old, but meh.

Yes, please refraaaaaaiiiinnnn.
Old 04-14-2018, 11:30 AM

Quote:
In the case of Braiins (or quarries), it's no longer funny, if it ever was.
There's only one way to be sure.
Old 04-14-2018, 12:24 PM
SD Curator of Critters

Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
The humor in a running gag may derive entirely from how often it is repeated
Note that does not say that repeating a running gag more often makes it funnier, but rather that the humor derives from "how often it is repeated." Repeating a running gag too often makes it less funny, not more funny.

How to run a joke into the ground
Old 04-14-2018, 01:00 PM

Serious question: how many thread necromancers actually DO stick around at all? Because the vast majority that I see look a lot like a drive by bloviate inspired by a frenzied or passion-fueled google marathon.

If that's the case, then it doesn't hugely matter to the newest 'OP' (from the zombified thread context) if the next 3 or 6 or 12 posts are dumb zombie jokes because they're not gonna be looking around after- they didn't want a discussion, they wanted a platform to spout from.

Where it might matter is if it bugs the shit out of your fellow regulars (or the mods) - and to that point it seems a lot more reasonable to ask people to tone it down, except that 'quarries' and 'regards' and 'hi opals' all pop up all the damn time and nothing gets done about them. So this very much seems like a personal posting quirk.

Relatedly, I appreciate knowing that it's a zombie thread, and while the jokes are dumb, they aren't offensive. I would say the alternative where a regular posts a quote of their earlier response with language to the point of 'oh i was going to congratulate this poster on their sagacity and perspicacity and general dashing good looks, but then i realized it was ME haha, I'm so clever and witty' is waaaaay more likely to be annoying. If I am going to be alerted in-thread via poster content that i'm in a zombie, I'd rather see 5 'braaaaaaaains' than one 'oh look at me and how i was so damn clever 5 years ago wasn't i' but maybe that's a minority preference.
Old 04-14-2018, 02:04 PM

Well, I actually do find them funny, when they are a pun or somehow worked into a response to the thread. But then I'm well aware that my sense of humour is pretty much one of a kind.

Quote:
I don't care about the joke per say, but I do appreciate being told I'm in a zombie thread.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSYoungEsq View Post
. . .
It serves the VERY VALID PURPOSE of informing every other poster following that the thread has been resurrected.
These. I can't tell you how many times I've realized in time to edit my response only because the zombie jokes caught my eye. I simply don't check the date on OPs, and I've never been able to develop the habit.

Quote:

Well, yes, there are several that don't, but they're stuck with me for now. ;-)

Quote:

I do totally agree with this.

What I do find incredibly unwelcoming are the snippy posts along the lines of:
Quote:
Seeing that this OP was created in 1910, and the poster hasn't been active since 1955, I sincerely doubt you are going to get a response.
Sharing an in-joke (within the context of an addition to the thread)seems far more welcoming to me.

Either way, the zombie jokes evolved to fill a niche, and if the Mods want them gone I suggest filling the niche some other way. I don't agree with locking threads unless they are somehow malicious.

The automatic warning linked to above would only discourage the necromancer, and would do nothing to warn the subsequent posters. So it seems to me it would discourage new posters more than any of the other methods, while doing nothing to fill the niche.

Is there some option as simple as making the dates turn red after a year has passed? Something that would passively alert us to the age of the thread without interrupting the train of thought?
Old 04-14-2018, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Speak for yourself.
Old 04-14-2018, 08:00 PM

Quote:
No. It has to be done 8000 times AND be funny both the first time and the 8000th. This misses. The only "joke" worse than this one (here) is the "Hi Opal" followed closely by the Quarry one. Worse only because at least the Braaaiiins (sort of) warns people of the oldness of the thread, albeit clumsily.
Old 04-14-2018, 10:48 PM
Charter Member

At least the "Hi Opal" joke was funny for a while. Before I joined this message board. Yes, I missed its heyday.
Old 04-15-2018, 02:45 PM
Elephant Whisperer

All joking aside, this is a very grave matter.
Old 04-15-2018, 05:19 PM
born to be shunned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucas Jackson View Post
The only "joke" worse than this one (here) is the "Hi Opal" followed closely by the Quarry one.
"Hi Opel" has become more about a thread reminding me of the kind she started or having former posters as a subject. That one was always more about having fun than being funny to me; now its just a reflection of how sad I can get sometimes remembering.
Old 04-15-2018, 05:21 PM

nm

Last edited by Leo Bloom; 04-15-2018 at 05:22 PM.
Old 04-15-2018, 06:18 PM

FWIW, Opal herself actually hated the whole "Hi Opal!" thing and used to beg people to cut it out.
Old 04-15-2018, 07:17 PM
born to be shunned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinastasia View Post
FWIW, Opal herself actually hated the whole "Hi Opal!" thing and used to beg people to cut it out.
I believe I (and a lot of us) knew that at the time and I don't know if I ever used it before her death. Since then its been sparing to say the least but there are just times (like zombie references) when it just feels right.
Old 04-15-2018, 08:20 PM
Charter Member

There are a number of threads about "Hi Opal!", some having participation by its namesake.

Here, posters complained that the joke was getting old. c. 2002.

The practice apparently stretches back to the AOL days. Click the link for Opal's description. At that date, Opal was fairly resigned about the whole thing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpalCat View Post
I pretty much feel that it has its own life. Half the people who use it don't even know who I *am* so it isn't really "about me" it's more just "about itself". It doesn't bother me that people do it, but if they all stopped tomorrow I wouldn't miss it.
Old 04-15-2018, 09:25 PM

I'd like to see a list.
Old 04-15-2018, 11:03 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo Bloom View Post
I'd like to see a list.
2 quarts milk
1 lb. butter, salted
1 dozen eggs
oatmeal
mangoes
toilet paper
2 lbs. ground round
Old 04-16-2018, 01:22 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I know the mods would prefer that people just report zombie threads instead of making "cute" references to what is happening in-thread, but I think it is time to make an official rule about it. It's far too easy to link up to an old thread nowadays, and I don't think name-calling and mockery should be the first response newbies get when they post here.
I'm rather perplexed by this, because I've never thought of zombie jokes as "name calling and mockery". It's not making fun of the person for bumping an old thread, it's just using an inside joke to reference the fact that it's an old thread. I can't recall ever reading one that seemed to be attacking the person who did the bumping. And how is it "name-calling"? It's the thread that's the zombie, not the person who bumped it.

The cheesy inside jokes are, or used to be, part of what gave the board its charm. And having some in-jokes made the board feel more like a community. Even though I was a johnny-come-lately with a 2004 join date, knowing what they old-timers were talking about when they referenced the "Winter of our Missed Content" or something else from before my time made me feel like I belonged. (And it's not like it's that hard to learn these things; there's a list.)

That said, I can't say I personally make zombie jokes very often. I may have made one once. In 1960. It was funny for... let's just say a little while.
Old 04-16-2018, 08:39 AM

Quote:
2 quarts milk
1 lb. butter, salted
1 dozen eggs
oatmeal
mangoes
toilet paper
2 lbs. ground round
A loaf of bread
A container of milk
A stick of butter
Old 04-16-2018, 01:59 PM

Quote:
2 quarts milk
1 lb. butter, salted
1 dozen eggs
oatmeal
mangoes
toilet paper
2 lbs. ground round
But ... Bobby loves mangoes.
Old 04-16-2018, 02:32 PM
Robot Mod in Beta Testing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinastasia View Post
I asked her about it at one of the Gettysburg dopefests, and at that time she said that she didn't really mind it. I guess her opinion about it changed a bit over the years.
Old 04-16-2018, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derleth View Post
It won't stop until and unless there's a rule, because too many Dopers still think it's funny. It will only get funnier for them if more people respond to those kinds of posts, particularly in a negative fashion.
Yup and yup. You'll have to take my zombie jokes from my cold, dead, and lifeless yet somehow still animated hands.

Last edited by Crazy Canuck; 04-16-2018 at 03:20 PM. Reason: Fixed coding
Old 04-16-2018, 06:33 PM

I started lurking the board about the time that "Pride, Prejudice, and Zombies" was big.
It took me quite a while to suss the real meaning.
Old 04-16-2018, 07:10 PM
Charter Member

Let's compromise, lets have a new rule based upon my idea:Look, if you post to add something worthwhile, but can't resist a little zombie joke, fine. It's stale and old, but meh.

That way, yes, you can make your joke, but you have to add something worthwhile also.
Old 04-16-2018, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Let's compromise, lets have a new rule based upon my idea:Look, if you post to add something worthwhile, but can't resist a little zombie joke, fine. It's stale and old, but meh.

That way, yes, you can make your joke, but you have to add something worthwhile also.
BRAAAAAIAIIIININNNSSSISESESSSES!!!!!!

Sorry to zombiefy this hour and 15 minute old thread but I wanted to add something worthwhile and say that I am against DrDeths rule idea.
Old 04-16-2018, 09:41 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunky Smurf View Post
BRAAAAAIAIIIININNNSSSISESESSSES!!!!!!

Sorry to zombiefy this hour and 15 minute old thread but I wanted to add something worthwhile and say that I am against DrDeths rule idea.
Thank you. Now I know my idea is fabulous!
Old 04-16-2018, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim314 View Post
. . .
The cheesy inside jokes are, or used to be, part of what gave the board its charm. And having some in-jokes made the board feel more like a community. Even though I was a johnny-come-lately with a 2004 join date, knowing what they old-timers were talking about when they referenced the "Winter of our Missed Content" or something else from before my time made me feel like I belonged. (And it's not like it's that hard to learn these things; there's a list.)

. . .
I've wondered about this, and started another thread rather than derail this one.
Old 04-17-2018, 11:48 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by engineer_comp_geek View Post
I asked her about it at one of the Gettysburg dopefests, and at that time she said that she didn't really mind it. I guess her opinion about it changed a bit over the years.
Probably resigned about it, sort of like Hal Briston and sheep.
Old 04-18-2018, 12:23 AM

Quote:

It doesn’t work that way. People only post zombie jokes in response to others bumping zombie threads.
Old 04-18-2018, 10:06 AM
SD Curator of Critters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucas Jackson View Post
It doesn’t work that way. People only post zombie jokes in response to others bumping zombie threads.
Not necessarily true. When they bump an old thread, people often apologize for bumping a zombie. In that context, I think there's no objection to it, since that's just the board term for an old thread.

The problem is when someone just posts "ZOMBIE!" or "BRAAAIIINS" with no further explanation when someone else bumps and old thread, which is neither funny nor informs a newbie of what the "joke" is about.