Old 10-01-2018, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nearwildheaven View Post
Nowadays, they have a chip in their shoelaces that gives them their real times. Back in the 1980s, when I was a runner and followed the sport more closely, I heard stories about back-of-the-packers taking as long as 15 minutes to cross the starting line.
Ran Chicago 14 yrs ago. Something like 30k runners, and no qualifying time. My goal was 4:00 - which would be IIRC 9:15 pace per mile. Fearing the worst, I actually started a corral or 2 up - maybe at 3:50 pace. Maybe in doing so I contributed to the problem. Can't recall how long it took to get to the start - was at least 10 min - I suspect closer to 20-30. The first mile was literally elbow-to-asshole. Couldn't see the pavement, was touching people on all sides. Ran it in something like 13 minutes. The next 25 miles was a continual effort of passing people while trying to not break stride. Within 5 miles I was passing assholes who had started even further up than me, but were walking several abreast, having a grand old time.

After that 13 minute mile 1, I finished the race in 4:00:53 - WELL under pace. Pissed me off that that 1st mile and all the people starting too far up prevented me from hitting my goal. Not an experience I have had any urge to repeat.

In case anyone is interested, I completed the century yesterday. It was rough - but mainly, I think, because I hadn't prepped enough. Hadn't put in the miles.

Was aiming at a 13 MPH pace and 8 hrs. Finished in 8:39.

Positive 25 mile splits - ugh!
1:48 - 13.9 MPH
2:06 - 11.9 MPH
2:11 - 11.45 MPH
2:19 - 10.8 MPH

It got warmer than we had expected - 81 and sunny at 1 point. The hills in the last 3d kicked my butt. My 62 yr old sister was WAY stronger than me. In terms of difficulty, I'd put it as tougher than either a marathon or hiking the Grand Canyon, simply because the act of biking was more difficult for me than simply plodding along - putting one foot in front of the other. By the end, my ass and my left hand were quite painful. And fighting up those hills in my lowest gear was torture.

And - to add insult to injury - the damn route was 102 miles!

Glad I did it, but not eager to repeat. Sitting on a pillow as I type...
Old 10-01-2018, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinsdale View Post
And - to add insult to injury - the damn route was 102 miles!

Glad I did it, but not eager to repeat. Sitting on a pillow as I type...
I volunteered at a local triathlon a few years ago, called Californiaman, I think. Anyway, I was stationed in the transition tent between bike and run legs. The bike leg was supposed to 112 miles, but as some of the elite athletes began to arrive at the tent, furious and complaining, I overheard what had occurred. They were angry because their odometers said 112 miles, but they were still out on the prairie south of town, and no one knew how much further it was to the transition. Turns out it was another 3-4 miles of riding. I can understand that - it probably threw a lot of them off their expectations. I later learned the course planners had not actually driven all the roads of the bike leg, because some of them were on private property, and they did not have permission the day they measured the route.
Old 10-01-2018, 02:08 PM

Regarding the Mexico City Olympics and the high elevation - I recently did a hike from Echo Summit, near Lake Tahoe, and learned that was the site of the 1968 Track and Field Olympic trials and training camp.

Here is a nice 4 min video commemorating the site in 2014, with some of the athletes from the time.