Old 05-28-2018, 09:12 PM

I'll chip into that pot.
Old 05-28-2018, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Kitchen View Post
Speaking of Google, I've given up on trying to uses Google Images to search for images, because they're so afraid of copyright lawsuits, they've made it impossible to copy an image from Google. You have to go to the page where the image is, and if it's a site like Pinterest, you have to search through thousands of images on one page, and even then, Pinterest doesn't always let you copy the image. I've defaulted to, shudder, Bing for image searching.
I just checked with Chrome, Firefox and IE on Windows, and had no trouble copying images from an image search (either the small thumbnail image, or the larger one that appears when you select a particular one). I just right-click on the image, and the menu has the usual image options: Open Image in New Tab, Save Image, Copy Image, Copy Image Address, Search Google for Image.

Maybe you're using some other browser (like a mobile one) that's not playing nicely with Google? Or you have some extension or malware installed that's breaking stuff?

BTW, this same technique works just fine for getting the link to a photo in Google Photos (as long as you're viewing an individual photo), if you can't use the Get Link button under the Sharing menu for some reason.

In any case, if Google's trying to restrict people from copying images, they're not doing a very thorough job.
Old 05-28-2018, 10:00 PM

Just when I think the cats have calmed down, shit happens. A little bird came in the French doors when I had them opened for a bit. Holy crap, the race was on. Cats flying allover the kitchen, knocking crap over. Dogs barking. I got the doors shut and finally got the cats in their carrier. Then I reopened the doors and went looking for the bird. I was about to give up and decide It was dead somewhere in the house, and looked up and it was perched on the top of the door. I shooed it out and shut the doors.
1st. Why do I have 2 sets of French doors? I can't open them unless I want some stupid shit to happen, usually animals escaping not birds coming in.
2nd. Why do I have such evil cats who want to murder all small animals?
3rd. Why do I try so hard? I am wore out from the chase.
I need a vacation.
Old 05-28-2018, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Vegetable View Post
I just checked with Chrome, Firefox and IE on Windows, and had no trouble copying images from an image search (either the small thumbnail image, or the larger one that appears when you select a particular one). I just right-click on the image, and the menu has the usual image options: Open Image in New Tab, Save Image, Copy Image, Copy Image Address, Search Google for Image.

Maybe you're using some other browser (like a mobile one) that's not playing nicely with Google? Or you have some extension or malware installed that's breaking stuff?

BTW, this same technique works just fine for getting the link to a photo in Google Photos (as long as you're viewing an individual photo), if you can't use the Get Link button under the Sharing menu for some reason.

In any case, if Google's trying to restrict people from copying images, they're not doing a very thorough job.
I don't WANT to save images. I want to copy them and paste them into online posts.
Old 05-28-2018, 10:03 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dante View Post
I'd pay cash dollars for an add-on that excludes Pinterest from GIS results.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat Whisperer View Post
Agreed.
Me three.
Old 05-28-2018, 10:18 PM

Google has apparently been asked this before and their only answer (that I see) is to add -site:pinterest.com before your search terms.

Last edited by Chimera; 05-28-2018 at 10:19 PM.
Old 05-29-2018, 01:05 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Kitchen View Post
I don't WANT to save images. I want to copy them and paste them into online posts.
It's working fine for me in Safari, too - right click on image, select "Copy Image Address," paste in Facebook post (for example), and viola! Done. It sounds like you have something on your end that is interfering with this process.

In other image posting news, do we still have to upload pictures to a site like Imgur to post them here? That's still a big ol' pain in my butt.
Old 05-29-2018, 01:27 AM

Yes, they still need to be on a linkable site. And why are we playing music?
Old 05-29-2018, 12:25 PM

Dante, Cat Whisperer, and Morgyn, this was for news, but in theory this should work for images as well:
1. Go to news.google.com. You might be asked to sign in.
2. At the top right, click Settings (Gear icon) and then Sources.
3. Under "Blocked," list publications you donít want to see any news from.
Old 05-29-2018, 02:59 PM
Charter Member

I got up an hour early this morning to take a bus I usually don’t take (but on a very familiar route) to my dentist’s office, near my workplace.

It got in 25 minutes after scheduled arrival. I didn’t even consider taking an even earlier bus because the bus I usually take on this route doesn’t usually have such difficulties. I had to reschedule, and since I called in my bus issues five minutes before my appointment, I may very well have to pay a $75 fee for causing the dentist to have an empty slot. And I got up an hour early for nothing.

I’m not sure who and what to be most frustrated and annoyed at.
Old 05-30-2018, 12:52 AM
Charter Member

Oh bloody fucking hell. First during the long weekend (Victoria day) my poor Velociraptor was ill. Like seriously ill. Ill enough that a growing teenager ate about 1/3 of one plate of any meal and didn't complain when I sent him to bed with no screens to sleep. It looked like a cold starting the week before but he got worse and I thought if he had it I'd just take him to the docs after the weekend but I ended up taking him in to urgent care only to find out that somehow he got PNEUMONIA and was seriously dehydrated. He's been drugged to the gills since but is feeling MUCH better.

Well today I went to help a friend move. Her roommate attacked her, and given it was a she said/she said thing nothing came of it with the police but she was advised to move. Well we moved her stuff out after a bunch of drama and finally getting the landlord to let her in to get her stuff and went to the new place to move her stuff in.

Well I managed to fall down about 6 stairs while carrying a heavy bin, so now I'm sitting in the hospital with a 3+ hour wait on the clock and an ankle that's swollen and hurting, a base of my thumb that's slightly swollen and throbbing and a shoulderblade that I can tell is bruised.

I suppose I could have gone home and taken something for pain and gone to urgent care in the morning instead of the hospital but fuck, this hurts. I don't think anything is broken but I would not be surprised if I fractured something in my ankle. Guess we shall find out sometime early in the morning. I was laying on the floor, then the bed feeling like I was doing fucking Lamaze breathing to get through the pain. It was seriously as bad as labour before I got the good drugs and now it just throbs while I sit here but it really fucking hurts if I try to put any weight on it.

Fuck fuck fuck.

-deep breathes-

Flatlined, glad you were there to help your hubby! That's a scary thing.

For the Black Death Click Here
Old 05-30-2018, 12:59 AM

When it rains it pours. Hope you get through all this stuff with no breaks or crutches.
Old 05-30-2018, 05:27 AM

No smoking at Outdoor Concerts. (I think it's an actual rule, just underenforced-- I live in one of the states where one of the biggest threats to the health of the elderly is long term smoking).

If you must smoke at outdoor concerts, please choose something less stinky. (Yesterday's thing was pretty stinky).

But PLEASE DO NOT SMOKE when it is so windy there's not really a place that is reliably NOT downwind.

My city has a fabulous supply of free music in the summer, and I went to one such concert yesterday. Concert was good, I felt mildly bad for the performers, who had a few rounds of "chase the music" because of wind. But there was one jerk with a cigar (I think) who made life stinky for the rest of us.
Old 05-30-2018, 06:19 AM

It's been raining for four days. The roads are beginning to flood. The mountains are starting to crumble. What's more important, the road in front of my house is beginning to flood and I have to leave for work in half an hour.

I'm seriously debating calling in because it's going to keep raining all day and I'm afraid if I leave I won't be able to come back. I have half an hour to decide.
Old 05-30-2018, 07:17 AM

We live in a semi-detached home. The smell of our neighbour's cooking has completely permeated our house. I lost my sense of smell from a head injury, but my wife is on the verge of burning both our places down. We're seriously considering moving to get away from it, but in this market it means taking on more mortgage debt, which means changing retirement plans. To add insult to injury, they are the noisiest fuckers you've ever heard. Two adults, four kids, and no bedtimes.
Old 05-30-2018, 08:12 AM

I got a migraine yesterday. It started as what I thought was a stress headache from not getting enough sleep. By the time I got home from work, I could barely stay upright long enough to shove ibuprofen in my face and collapse on my bed. I fell asleep at 7 pm or so and slept off an on until 5:30 this morning.

And now I'm nauseated, I feel all cloudy-headed and have a slight twinge of a headache. This flipping sucks.
Old 05-30-2018, 09:48 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catamount View Post
It's been raining for four days. The roads are beginning to flood. The mountains are starting to crumble. What's more important, the road in front of my house is beginning to flood and I have to leave for work in half an hour.

I'm seriously debating calling in because it's going to keep raining all day and I'm afraid if I leave I won't be able to come back. I have half an hour to decide.
Pack a couple days clothing, meds, whatever and go. Then if you can't get back into your home you are prepared to stay elsewhere til the flooding resolves
Old 05-30-2018, 02:17 PM
Charter Member

Well it's not broken, I tore something in there and sprained it good. They didn't xray my hand as that wasn't as bad, but if it goes too long I'll go to my doctor. No crutches, no wrapping, just ice and raised and Tylenol and walking as normal as possible.

So I'm home from work today, was so late at the ER no point in going in but I have lots to do so back to work tomorrow. At least it's a desk job. The stairs will be fun I think, I will need to organize my work bag into a backpack I think. Driving is going to be fun though..

For the Black Death Click Here

Last edited by Flutterby; 05-30-2018 at 02:18 PM.
Old 05-30-2018, 02:59 PM
Charter Member

So today I was going to pay off the mortgage on the condo. ( Think Oh-Hell-No) Do the Goat felchers make it easy? It has been automatically withdrawn since Bush the elder was living in DC. So I sign up for the web site. There is much email dancing. Things get stable, and when the smoke clears, they have no way to transfer funds to close the account. Even the backwoods Credit Union and banks I deal with here could do that with their eyes closed, and both hands tied behind their backs.

So they are going to get a check, just because I can't be bothered to show up at the nearest branch location with a 5 gallon jug of Susan B. Anthony's
Old 05-30-2018, 03:10 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beckdawrek View Post
Just when I think the cats have calmed down, shit happens. A little bird came in the French doors when I had them opened for a bit. Holy crap, the race was on. Cats flying allover the kitchen, knocking crap over. Dogs barking. I got the doors shut and finally got the cats in their carrier. Then I reopened the doors and went looking for the bird. I was about to give up and decide It was dead somewhere in the house, and looked up and it was perched on the top of the door. I shooed it out and shut the doors.
1st. Why do I have 2 sets of French doors? I can't open them unless I want some stupid shit to happen, usually animals escaping not birds coming in.
2nd. Why do I have such evil cats who want to murder all small animals?
3rd. Why do I try so hard? I am wore out from the chase.
I need a vacation.
4th. Why donít you have a videographer on hand 24/7 to document these hijinks? That sounded like it would have been hilarious to watch.
Old 05-30-2018, 03:36 PM

Gee, thanks mom, for ruining my day and making me not want to see or speak to you for a long while.

I drive my niece home from school every day because she's a special ed student and I'm available, while her parents are at work. I arrive at their house, both their cars are there and my mother's car.

I walk into the house, realize that they aren't there and say "Oh, are they still in <other state>? My 80 year old mother starts snapping about it, clearly not having understood what I said. Two minutes later she asks why I'm in a bad mood. <eye twitch> Then she says my nephew arrived home just after her. I ask "where is he?" She tells me he's in another town. So I ask how he got there when both of the cars are in the driveway. She starts snapping at me again.

I walked out the door and texted her that I will NOT be going to dinner tomorrow with her and my niece, why I won't be doing it and closing with "I don't need this in my life. I'm not going to tolerate you snapping at me because you can't listen."

I'm in a lot of physical pain today and didn't need this crap. Being snapped at twice in 5 minutes? Oh fuck no.

Old 05-30-2018, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aruvqan View Post
Pack a couple days clothing, meds, whatever and go. Then if you can't get back into your home you are prepared to stay elsewhere til the flooding resolves
The road flooded, closed, and then reopened again while I was at work. It's still raining. We'll see what happens tonight. We live on top of a hill so if the road floods again I ain't leaving.
Old 05-30-2018, 08:48 PM

[QUOTE=kaylasdad99;20991196]4th. Why donít you have a videographer on hand 24/7 to document these hijinks? That sounded like it would have been hilarious to watch.[/QUOTEAfter it settled down I did laugh at my acrobatics trying to catch them rascally cats. They snubbed me the rest of the day til treat time when they were all sunshine and smiles.
Old 05-30-2018, 10:05 PM

Thanks for the link to that other thread, Chimera. Interesting reading and links. I now have much more nagging fodder! My BB does have a doctor appointment next week, but that was mostly just to shut me up. Now he's actually thinking about how serious this could have been.

Holy cow, Flutterby , that was a whole bunch of stuff to have happen all at once. I'm glad there are no broken bones and no cast. Use the handrails when you are going up or down stairs or consider buying a cheap cane for help.

I am very happy that I was there to help my BB at the time he really needed help. I have told this story to others and about half of them said they wouldn't have known what to do. That is because they didn't sit through countless first aid and cpr classes like I did. At the time, I didn't really pay attention because I didn't need to. Nothing that bad would ever happen around me, right? I just went because someone signed me up, or it was work required.

Well, something that bad really did happen around me so now I am converted and preaching the "Update your first aid and CPR NOW!" sermon to anyone I can make listen.
Old 05-31-2018, 07:42 AM

Spoke with my father yesterday, and we started discussing politics, like we usually do. He is Republican, but he'll jokingly go to the extreme because he knows it gets a rise out of me.

Yesterday, the Roseanne tweet was discussed. He either took things way too far or is not nearly as intelligent as I believed.

He said that the "Planet of the Apes" thing wasn't a slur, because liberals believe we descended from monkeys. So, how could that be offensive, when it is merely reinforcing evolutionary theory. After a lot of discussion ("Are you fucking serious?", "I doubt most people who would use that slur believe in evolution, as opposed to creationism", "I heard one of my black friends referred to as a monkey by a racist bouncer", etc.), he refused to back down.

The conversation ended in a very tense mood, and while I hate it, I'm honestly not wanting to talk to him for a while, barring some apology where he said he was just joking and took the joke way too far...
Old 05-31-2018, 08:06 AM

I got a spam email today. The subject line read "GREETHINGS FROM THE DESK OF JP MORGAN CHASE." While I wouldn't fall for that, there are people who could. I would be more mad, though, if I weren't laughing so hard about being "greeth-ed." It's like an space alien trying to pass has a human but poorly.

A family friend's son was in a car accident on a farm where they were learning to drive a stick shift. He was hurt really badly, two skull fractures and other incidental injuries. He's going to live but they don't know what all he will lose. And it just fucking sucks, you know? He hasn't even graduated from high school. It just isn't fair.
Old 05-31-2018, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slalexan View Post
I got a spam email today. The subject line read "GREETHINGS FROM THE DESK OF JP MORGAN CHASE." While I wouldn't fall for that, there are people who could. I would be more mad, though, if I weren't laughing so hard about being "greeth-ed." It's like an space alien trying to pass has a human but poorly.

A family friend's son was in a car accident on a farm where they were learning to drive a stick shift. He was hurt really badly, two skull fractures and other incidental injuries. He's going to live but they don't know what all he will lose. And it just fucking sucks, you know? He hasn't even graduated from high school. It just isn't fair.
So sorry to hear that, slalexan. The year before I became legal to drive, a girl who was one year older than me died in a car wreck. They determined that her car stalled out while she was trying to change gears in a precarious intersection. My mom required that whatever car I drove would have an automatic transmission.

I was offered to be taught how to drive a stick twice in my life - once while in the mountains of Colorado (with a friend and his father, who were both adventurous and saw nothing dangerous about it), and once by my ex in an empty church parking lot on a Sunday afternoon, not realizing that we would soon be swarmed by people coming for the evening services.

Never had any incentive to add that to my skill-set.
Old 05-31-2018, 12:23 PM

Damn lawn mower will not start. Had a friend over last week to work on my truck, wanted to go over the mower - I said "Nah, it's fine". Dumbass self.
If I don't get it mowed SOON I'm going to get a nastygram from the city and today / tomorrow are the only non-rainy/hot as balls days in the near future.
Old 05-31-2018, 02:14 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calatin View Post
<snip>
Never had any incentive to add that to my skill-set.
We have two cars that are stick shifts, and theyíre less likely to be stolen because of that.
Old 05-31-2018, 04:49 PM

Quote:
We have two cars that are stick shifts, and theyíre less likely to be stolen because of that.
My daughter needed a car for nursing school (they sprung it on her that she'd be "doing rotations" in small town hospitals, putting hundreds of miles on "her car"... only problem, she was the ONLY student who didn't have a car, or could borrow one of Daddy's fleet).

I biked for an entire school year, and she got to borrow my car... my stick shift. Which she knew how to drive, but it meant NONE of her friends could borrow it!

(Win Win -- more acceleration, more fun to drive, fewer dents from college kids!)
Old 05-31-2018, 04:52 PM

I always laugh when I read a story about a carjacking failing because the vehicle has a manual transmission.

It doesn't happen often, but still.
Old 05-31-2018, 06:44 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by digs View Post
My daughter needed a car for nursing school (they sprung it on her that she'd be "doing rotations" in small town hospitals, putting hundreds of miles on "her car"... only problem, she was the ONLY student who didn't have a car, or could borrow one of Daddy's fleet).

I biked for an entire school year, and she got to borrow my car... my stick shift. Which she knew how to drive, but it meant NONE of her friends could borrow it!

(Win Win -- more acceleration, more fun to drive, fewer dents from college kids!)
Thatís both the upside and a downside of stick shifts - no one can borrow them, but itís also harder to get someone to drive your car home for you after, for example, youíve had a few drinks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Projammer View Post
I always laugh when I read a story about a carjacking failing because the vehicle has a manual transmission.

It doesn't happen often, but still.
ĒWould you like me to teach you to drive it?Ē
Old 05-31-2018, 07:01 PM

My dad insisted my sisters and I learn to drive a stick before he let us look at an automatic. It made us pay more attention to what we were doing while we were driving.

The downside is manuals are becoming harder and harder to find. It's why I'm driving a 17-year-old car: it's got a stick shift.
Old 05-31-2018, 11:07 PM

I've been daydreamingly looking at used cars, and a couple of sites let me check boxes like:

[] Transmission: Manual

When I do that, it goes down from hundreds to dozens, but it's encouraging that there are still plenty of sticks out there.

Last edited by digs; 05-31-2018 at 11:08 PM.
Old 05-31-2018, 11:53 PM
Charter Member

Could someone versed in Microsoft obscurity, security, and other obscenties explain to me why, on my personal, brand-new, no-bloatware computer, I have to go into security settings for three quarters of the files I personally with my own user account placed on this computer and change the settings to allow that self-same account to even bloody READ the files, much less anything else? Just had this happen with some mp3 files that I retrieved from my backup drive that I used to transfer files from the old computer to the new one. I couldn't play any of them until I changed the security settings. I was so irritated, I changed the settings on the entire disk drive, but why in hell is that even NECESSARY???
Old 06-01-2018, 12:04 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by digs View Post
I've been daydreamingly looking at used cars, and a couple of sites let me check boxes like:

[] Transmission: Manual

When I do that, it goes down from hundreds to dozens, but it's encouraging that there are still plenty of sticks out there.
My husband and I and just about everyone we hang out with can all drive stick; I think we are a bunch of oddballs, though. As far as I know, driving stick is not all that common any longer.
Old 06-01-2018, 12:09 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgyn View Post
Could someone versed in Microsoft obscurity, security, and other obscenties explain to me why, on my personal, brand-new, no-bloatware computer, I have to go into security settings for three quarters of the files I personally with my own user account placed on this computer and change the settings to allow that self-same account to even bloody READ the files, much less anything else? Just had this happen with some mp3 files that I retrieved from my backup drive that I used to transfer files from the old computer to the new one. I couldn't play any of them until I changed the security settings. I was so irritated, I changed the settings on the entire disk drive, but why in hell is that even NECESSARY???
Well, thatís some bullshit right there. My Mac has an unholy need for me to type in my AppleID far too much, but itís not at *this* level!
Old 06-01-2018, 06:43 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Well, thatís some bullshit right there. My Mac has an unholy need for me to type in my AppleID far too much, but itís not at *this* level!
I think it had something to do with the last update, which installed last night. That update also partially broke FrameMaker's ability to create PDF files. If I didn't need Windows to run all the software I use on a regular basis, I'd wipe this fucker and install Linux.
Old 06-01-2018, 08:44 PM
Charter Member

June mini-rants here.